PDA

View Full Version : My sincere advice to government, Tharman, Khaw

economist
19-04-13, 15:35
I feel that Mr. Khaw is tempted to try some drastic measures for HDB, he may want to have some achievements, and he wants to be perceived by history that he did something good for his people. While recognizing it as a noble mindset, he should be careful with each step, a lot of things maybe beyond his understandings (or anyone's understanding), and a wrong step is going to cost the market, the economy a lot.

His recent many ideas show some danger signs, frankly, he and the government should slow down, take more advice from industry and economy experts instead of getting opinions from people who always differ in their views depending whether they want to buy or sell or hold.

Frankly speaking, I don't think it is a good move by throwing out drastic ideas like removing income ceiling, making BTOs 30% cheaper, and let people from all kinds of backgrounds with various hidden agenda to come together and discuss. This will not have any meaningful contributions.

The current government is trying to be populist, but the government must be aware that people, by its nature, is short-sighted, and different groups of people have different hidden agenda. A typical example was the wrong move for them to throw out the Population White Paper to discuss. Majority of the "people" will never never truly understand what LKY said, that Singapore will sink into nothingness if it does not keep attracting high-quality immigrants, and you still want to discuss with this majority? The current government should rather learn from LKY, they should rather make some decisions internally, by consulting with various industry and economy experts!

indomie
19-04-13, 16:08
Its such a shame if the most advanced economy in south east asia, one day would be taken over by Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok. Just like a runner who is fast at the starting line, but run out of steam at the finish line.

U have to let the talent in, just like Elon Musk (tesla, spacex ceo) done to United States. If sg fail to launch its economy and stagnant to the level of 3rd world country, I don't think many in sg can get accustomed to such living condition.

lionhill
19-04-13, 16:12
Solute to you, economist. You speak up what I want to say.

radha08
19-04-13, 16:16
Very sensible idea

DKSG
19-04-13, 16:22
The impresison they give is more of that they dont know what to do !

Rather than consult people, maybe they should frame their ideas and get feedback. This helps to give impression that they are consultative, and yet let people know they know a lot about Singapore properties.

But conversations and conversations, the end result seems to be that they are listening to people with the loudest voice, not the best brains.

I reckon, the best brains in property market is already formed - in this forum - less off some B folks and some Mt Senile folks.

DKSG

chestnut
19-04-13, 16:28

Rather than consult people, maybe they should frame their ideas and get feedback. This helps to give impression that they are consultative, and yet let people know they know a lot about Singapore properties.

But conversations and conversations, the end result seems to be that they are listening to people with the loudest voice, not the best brains.

I reckon, the best brains in property market is already formed - in this forum - less off some B folks and some Mt Senile folks.

DKSG
Brudder, they need the seat.... They cannot be perceived to be snobbish !!! They have to project a listening ear. See the latest election result...

They are thinking long term....

august
19-04-13, 16:31
I feel that Mr. Khaw is tempted to try some drastic measures for HDB, he may want to have some achievements, and he wants to be perceived by history that he did something good for his people. While recognizing it as a noble mindset, he should be careful with each step, a lot of things maybe beyond his understandings (or anyone's understanding), and a wrong step is going to cost the market, the economy a lot.

His recent many ideas show some danger signs, frankly, he and the government should slow down, take more advice from industry and economy experts instead of getting opinions from people who always differ in their views depending whether they want to buy or sell or hold.

Frankly speaking, I don't think it is a good move by throwing out drastic ideas like removing income ceiling, making BTOs 30% cheaper, and let people from all kinds of backgrounds with various hidden agenda to come together and discuss. This will not have any meaningful contributions.

The current government is trying to be populist, but the government must be aware that people, by its nature, is short-sighted, and different groups of people have different hidden agenda. A typical example was the wrong move for them to throw out the Population White Paper to discuss. Majority of the "people" will never never truly understand what LKY said, that Singapore will sink into nothingness if it does not keep attracting high-quality immigrants, and you still want to discuss with this majority? The current government should rather learn from LKY, they should rather make some decisions internally, by consulting with various industry and economy experts!

and the industry or economy experts do not have hidden agenda? :cool:

phantom_opera
19-04-13, 16:34

not hidden agenda, they are just capitalists :p

economist
19-04-13, 16:34
DKSG

That's sth a sensible long-term thinking government should avoid.

economist
19-04-13, 16:39
Brudder, they need the seat.... They cannot be perceived to be snobbish !!! They have to project a listening ear. See the latest election result...

It will be good if they are just out there pretending to listen to the people, it will be bad if they end up listening to the loudest voices.

Anyway, many government's recent moves like the "dialogue" may sound populist, but it also sends the signal that, the government is indecisive, has no idea on what to do, and even throw out drastic ideas to discuss with people whose interest is so diverse depending on different hidden agenda, what's going on?

It's time to miss the LKY era.

phantom_opera
19-04-13, 16:43
with gold/commodities crashing + lots of uncertainties this year ... may be Tharman/Khaw will stay put

radha08
19-04-13, 16:48

DKSG

wahhaha u using my words....Mt senile(got copyright hor)...:D:D:D

chestnut
19-04-13, 16:49
It will be good if they are just out there pretending to listen to the people, it will be bad if they end up listening to the loudest voices.

Anyway, many government's recent moves like the "dialogue" may sound populist, but it also sends the signal that, the government is indecisive, has no idea on what to do, and even throw out drastic ideas to discuss with people whose interest is so diverse depending on different hidden agenda, what's going on?

Can I ask - did what mbt do good??? It is good for some and bad for others. depending on which side of the fence you are on. The people today are vocal, times have changed and everyone needs to change as well.

:cheers6::cheers6::cheers6:

economist
19-04-13, 16:52

Industry experts, especially those from bigger developers, have interest in a stable market, as they want sustainable jobs for their employees, they are not interested in bubbles, neither crash of course.

economist
19-04-13, 16:56
Can I ask - did what mbt do good??? It is good for some and bad for others. depending on which side of the fence you are on. The people today are vocal, times have changed and everyone needs to change as well.

MBT apparently underbuilt, causing a shortage of supply which is slowly being corrected, it takes time to correct his mistakes.

People today are more vocal, yes, that's why my post is hoping that government stay focused on long-term prospect of Singapore.

phantom_opera
19-04-13, 16:59
MBT apparently underbuilt, causing a shortage of supply which is slowly being corrected, it takes time to correct his mistakes.

People today are more vocal, yes, that's why my post is hoping that government stay focused on long-term prospect of Singapore.

it was not a mistake initially :p

sgbuyer
19-04-13, 17:19

Perhaps MBT didn't know that pinky is going to bring in so many PRs?

:)

august
19-04-13, 17:39
Industry experts, especially those from bigger developers, have interest in a stable market, as they want sustainable jobs for their employees, they are not interested in bubbles, neither crash of course.

Tharman already told you they want a stable market. you should have more confidence in what they will do or not do next.

Allthepies
19-04-13, 17:45
Economist, you have my full support. However people in the know are usually the minority. Majority of the people are typically short sighted, but we must still listen to their view and give them some goodies as they are the majority.however complex economy issues should be decided internally for competitive, timelines reasons.

star
19-04-13, 18:00
What govt do is bad move. People now think govt is afraid of more opposition parties. People captured on this and want more opposition voices.

lajia
19-04-13, 18:31
Hahaha right, to many, it is not a mistake.

>80% stay in hdb and in the last 5 yrs, the price has appreciated 100% or more for some, u think that is a mistake??

For for those <20%, who are very vocal nowadays will curse and swear....

Mistake or not, it depends...:D

So in the longer run, price will cont to appreciate, and as long as there is no bubble and BTO remain affordable, then they should be fine...they are acting as if they are listening even though they might not be...:D

it was not a mistake initially :p

wsx123
19-04-13, 18:31

Cant blame the government too much, if the nation is finding short of gas/wood.

DC33_2008
19-04-13, 18:38
It should not be more than 80% stay in a hdb but own a hdb as more and more people will be staying in the condo and use rental of hdb to pay for their private property loan.:eek:
Hahaha right, to many, it is not a mistake.

>80% stay in hdb and in the last 5 yrs, the price has appreciated 100% or more for some, u think that is a mistake??

For for those <20%, who are very vocal nowadays will curse and swear....

Mistake or not, it depends...:D

So in the longer run, price will cont to appreciate, and as long as there is no bubble and BTO remain affordable, then they should be fine...they are acting as if they are listening even though they might not be...:D

yowetan
19-04-13, 19:17
Hi...end of the day we need a crash afterall.

A crash will set base and wakes up everyone.

lajia
19-04-13, 19:43
Hello bro, a lot of us very fresh and hardworking....we don't need a crash. We are not asleep...:D

But I think u need to wake up, sorry but I have to say that for your own good. Whether the mkt crash or not is secondary...what is impt is that u work hard for your dream, and not sleep and dream, wake up bro....:scared-5:

august
19-04-13, 19:53

it will come, just a matter of time.

reer
19-04-13, 20:38
Rentier capitalism is destroying Singapore's future. The current direction of the government is to be applauded.

teddybear
19-04-13, 20:50
Time to bring back the good policies to kill the rampant speculation in HDB market!
Many are buying HDB BTOs in advance, before they are ready to settle down.
Many are renting out before MOPs are over (illegally obviously). That means they don't need the HDB flats!
Many are renting out without getting approvals from HDB!
Also, taking into consideration overall rise in income, HDB BTOs are actually cheap! Who say they are expensive? why not they sell at 198x price, 5rm HDB 13xx sqft for $40k?

Then there are the REITs, majority GLCs jacking up commercial, retail & industrial rentals & hence causing huge inflation!

Govt, Khaw, Tharman better think how to deal with above...

Amber Woods
19-04-13, 21:18
As politicians, I think both DPM Therman and Mr Khaw have gone beyond their limits to speak about market sensitive issues like property pricing without causing anxiety and/or uncertainty to the market. Whoever can read "between the lines" of their messages and act appropriately could well benefit from the changes in policies going forward.

DC33_2008
19-04-13, 21:22
People are turning at deaf ear at them. Just look at china last month. People with kiasu syndrome scare of new CMs and jump in to buy straightaway. :scared-5:
As politicians, I think both DPM Therman and Mr Khaw have gone beyond their limits to speak about market sensitive issues like property pricing without causing anxiety and/or uncertainty to the market. Whoever can read "between the lines" of their messages and act appropriately could well benefit from the changes in policies going forward.

minority
19-04-13, 21:53

I totally agree with this. screw the populist. Coz all are short sighted. when things turn out sour all will come back KPKB why did the government not lead properly but listen to the people. why why why.

minority
19-04-13, 21:55

we will miss it when shit hits us. people wont miss till they take the shit in their mouth .

minority
19-04-13, 21:57

MBT got wat. he help the retiring generation build a nest egg. aint that good? I remember recently the HDB owners worry their HDB drop in price leh.

minority
19-04-13, 22:00

u are 1 talk cock MTB king leh.. everyday think crash . when it come u donno hide where in fear liao.

minority
19-04-13, 22:01
Time to bring back the good policies to kill the rampant speculation in HDB market!
Many are buying HDB BTOs in advance, before they are ready to settle down.
Many are renting out before MOPs are over (illegally obviously). That means they don't need the HDB flats!
Many are renting out without getting approvals from HDB!
Also, taking into consideration overall rise in income, HDB BTOs are actually cheap! Who say they are expensive? why not they sell at 198x price, 5rm HDB 13xx sqft for $40k?

Then there are the REITs, majority GLCs jacking up commercial, retail & industrial rentals & hence causing huge inflation!

Govt, Khaw, Tharman better think how to deal with above...

go North Korea. Communist. problem solved for ur problem. everyone get food stamps. no rich no poor. only if u are Kim or no Kim thats all.

august
19-04-13, 22:48
I totally agree with this. screw the populist. Coz all are short sighted. when things turn out sour all will come back KPKB why did the government not lead properly but listen to the people. why why why.

you sound like the kind of people who are unable to adapt. you shld learn to thrive whether the govt's policies is turning right or left, instead of being only able to thrive in one direction. And when the direction turns against your favour u whine and complain and blame others. Grow up lah.

proud owner
19-04-13, 23:36
you sound like the kind of people who are unable to adapt. you shld learn to thrive whether the govt's policies is turning right or left, instead of being only able to thrive in one direction. And when the direction turns against your favour u whine and complain and blame others. Grow up lah.

hahahhh

thank goodness these people are only in the minority ....

(no punt intended)

minority
20-04-13, 08:43

adapt? LOL u sound like the folks that cannot adapt in the 1st place wanting to a change.

u are one of those who cannot make and hoping to screw the next generation for a quickie?

wt_know
20-04-13, 08:44
and MBT is the man in history for HDB asset enhancement scheme

Matador
20-04-13, 08:54
The government serves the people. Yes, they lead, but their primary duty is to serve. So nothing wrong with meetings needs, wants and aspirations. The trick is getting the balance right. I think the govt has done okay since the last GE. It's easy for us to sit back and fault them for this and that. But the job is never easy. If property prices shoot up, people complain, if prices spiral down, people complain. Right now, they are giving the impression that they are ALWAYS LISTENING to the people. But that's just a perception. The reality is far from the truth. As long as people get the impression their views matter, well . . . the govt has won half the battle. So give them some credit for making the people think they are calling the shots. We underestimate and condem those guys at our own peril. I am lukewarm about the govt. But I think they have actually done better in the last few years.

Matador
20-04-13, 09:10
I shoud add that since the last GE they have hired a few guys who are very good at public relations. I l know one of these chaps. What are the signals that they have become populist? Have they reversed immigration policy? No - just slow down a bit. They talk about this and that. But just talk only to satisfy people's cravings and make them feel shiok. What policies have they implemented that vindicate a populist approach? No wonder they say perception is reality.

economist
20-04-13, 10:00
I shoud add that since the last GE they have hired a few guys who are very good at public relations. I l know one of these chaps. What are the signals that they have become populist? Have they reversed immigration policy? No - just slow down a bit. They talk about this and that. But just talk only to satisfy people's cravings and make them feel shiok. What policies have they implemented that vindicate a populist approach? No wonder they say perception is reality.

If this is true, it will be good for the nation.

hanafi_d2000
20-04-13, 11:34
what do you propose then?

NO_7
20-04-13, 12:18
and MBT is the man in history for HDB asset enhancement scheme
Enhancement for rich ppty owners, frustration for those who are looking for a ppty for own stay.

teddybear
20-04-13, 12:22
As long as it benefits the majority, what is the problem? Majority will vote for them!
But things are changing, & a property crash between now to GE2016 will cost them dearly I suppose? :scared-3:

Enhancement for rich ppty owners, frustration for those who are looking for a ppty for own stay.

CCR
20-04-13, 12:47
The government serves the people. Yes, they lead, but their primary duty is to serve. So nothing wrong with meetings needs, wants and aspirations. The trick is getting the balance right. I think the govt has done okay since the last GE. It's easy for us to sit back and fault them for this and that. But the job is never easy. If property prices shoot up, people complain, if prices spiral down, people complain. Right now, they are giving the impression that they are ALWAYS LISTENING to the people. But that's just a perception. The reality is far from the truth. As long as people get the impression their views matter, well . . . the govt has won half the battle. So give them some credit for making the people think they are calling the shots. We underestimate and condem those guys at our own peril. I am lukewarm about the govt. But I think they have actually done better in the last few years.

I agree w you..... They are ramping up mrt and hdb like no tomorrow... Should have done that long ago instead of thinking only about making lots of money.... Ultimately the gahmen should not be a money making machine... They should make some money, be efficient and grow the country....

But in the last ten years, they have just been thinking about making money like a private organization, but I am happy there is a change in mindset in the cabinet to centre left thinking....

I actually thnk tha ifnthey continue to do this.... The votes will go up, coz the gahmen has responded to the peoples wishes, on the contrary, The opposition now seem short of ideas Liao.... Interesting tines in Singapore...

teddybear
20-04-13, 13:01
Don't think so, because I don't think the majority of middle-income earners want to pay more taxes on consumption and wealth while seeing their very much richer counterpart save so much more money on income taxes at their expense?

I agree w you..... They are ramping up mrt and hdb like no tomorrow... Should have done that long ago instead of thinking only about making lots of money.... Ultimately the gahmen should not be a money making machine... They should make some money, be efficient and grow the country....

But in the last ten years, they have just been thinking about making money like a private organization, but I am happy there is a change in mindset in the cabinet to centre left thinking....

I actually thnk tha ifnthey continue to do this.... The votes will go up, coz the gahmen has responded to the peoples wishes, on the contrary, The opposition now seem short of ideas Liao.... Interesting tines in Singapore...

cnud
20-04-13, 13:07
Anyone done a comparison of dengue cases in opposition ward versus PAP wards?

I heard WP wards slow to respond to fight dengue whereas PAP fog many times liao. Emphasis "HEARD".

People generally know that PAP is a good government, but they cannot tahan the high handedness, top down, I-am-right-you-are-wrong leadership. They can lead better if they know how to appear like they are listening.

I'm sure they are internally discussing and making policies, it's just that they are letting us know they are listening.

If property crash, I'm sure their votes also crash.

mcmlxxvi
20-04-13, 13:14

All the ministers fb and blog etc, media talkshow, Conversations, and Singapolitics vehicle are set up for this exact purpose. This is the new wayang.

Dont get me wrong. I do very much enjoy the show.

Kanarazu
20-04-13, 13:19
Anyone done a comparison of dengue cases in opposition ward versus PAP wards?

I heard WP wards slow to respond to fight dengue whereas PAP fog many times liao. Emphasis "HEARD".

People generally know that PAP is a good government, but they cannot tahan the high handedness, top down, I-am-right-you-are-wrong leadership. They can lead better if they know how to appear like they are listening.

I'm sure they are internally discussing and making policies, it's just that they are letting us know they are listening.

If property crash, I'm sure their votes also crash.

So far outbreak seems to be at tampines, whose ward is that? ;)

Matador
20-04-13, 15:40
A little worrying is that the current cabinet is a far cry from the Old Guard. Perhaps that's to be expected. We don't have the intellectual depth and foresight of the previous generation. Now that George Yeo is gone, in the cabinet today the only true thinkers possessing enough vision and empathy and know-how is Tharman, Heng Swee Keat and Tan Chuan Jin. Just not good enough. The truly capable ones are no more suckered into joining the PAP. So what of the future? Question mark lah!

CCR
20-04-13, 16:24
A little worrying is that the current cabinet is a far cry from the Old Guard. Perhaps that's to be expected. We don't have the intellectual depth and foresight of the previous generation. Now that George Yeo is gone, in the cabinet today the only true thinkers possessing enough vision and empathy and know-how is Tharman, Heng Swee Keat and Tan Chuan Jin. Just not good enough. The truly capable ones are no more suckered into joining the PAP. So what of the future? Question mark lah!

I totally agree.... I support Heng swee kiat as the next PM... He humble plus smart

phantom_opera
20-04-13, 17:01
if hsk cannot even overhaul MOE ...

teddybear
20-04-13, 17:03
Nothing concrete he has done so far! Only the lip-service so far. We need to see more concrete policies! No announcement of PSLE results /top scorer is all he did now? O, also he implemented the English stellar program. but hor, he implemented this program without even trainned all English teachers adequately!!!!:eek:

I totally agree.... I support Heng swee kiat as the next PM... He humble plus smart

teddybear
20-04-13, 17:05
Have been hearing this "Overhauling MOE" for ages until my neck has become very long!

只听楼梯响, 不见人下来!!!:doh:

if hsk cannot even overhaul MOE ...

Matador
21-04-13, 09:56
Nothing concrete he has done so far! Only the lip-service so far. We need to see more concrete policies! No announcement of PSLE results /top scorer is all he did now? O, also he implemented the English stellar program. but hor, he implemented this program without even trainned all English teachers adequately!!!!:eek:

How do we judge a poliician's worth? Abraham Limncoln is acknowledged as the greatest ever US President. Those who read the book and saw the recent movie would have an understanding. It's not his policies but how he interacts with people, his conviction, his duty to do right, the sense of awe he inspires, humility, grace under pressure . . . . intangibles that only close observation and those who are in direct contact would know. For the rest of us, it's just a gut feel sometimes. I always thought Goh Keng Swee is Singapore's greatest son. Totally committed, dedicated, without any greed and hunger for money. Very very rare. Never set out to destroy others. Combine that with a great intellect. . . history will be kind to him.

Matador
21-04-13, 10:11
Have been hearing this "Overhauling MOE" for ages until my neck has become very long!

只听楼梯响, 不见人下来!!!:doh:

Small minds come in and then try to overhaul the system. I'm sure we have come across CEOs who do that. Try and impose themselves the moment they come in. Change everything, even the good! Khaw, since he came to MND, has been putting down his predecessor, by saying he will right this wrong and that wrong (yes, MBT didn't do a good job, but surely circumstances were also inviolved). And that's not the mark of a good leader, to put down his predecessor and promise change after change. Tharman did a reasonably good job at MOE, so the successor needs to do some tweaking here and there, take time to get a feel of what teachers, principals and parents feel . . . and then weave in changes in such a way that the system is improved - without overhauling and showing off that new broom sweeps clean.

wt_know
21-04-13, 11:16
similarly, Mr Gan is overhauling MOH (Mr Khaw policies) ...
as you said, circumstances changed ... hence, policies need to be changed or overhauled to meet current and future demands

Small minds come in and then try to overhaul the system. I'm sure we have come across CEOs who do that. Try and impose themselves the moment they come in. Change everything, even the good! Khaw, since he came to MND, has been putting down his predecessor, by saying he will right this wrong and that wrong (yes, MBT didn't do a good job, but surely circumstances were also inviolved). And that's not the mark of a good leader, to put down his predecessor and promise change after change. Tharman did a reasonably good job at MOE, so the successor needs to do some tweaking here and there, take time to get a feel of what teachers, principals and parents feel . . . and then weave in changes in such a way that the system is improved - without overhauling and showing off that new broom sweeps clean.

DC33_2008
21-04-13, 11:22
Mr gan has fouled up manpower issue when he was the Minister for Manpower.:doh:
similarly, Mr Gan is overhauling MOH (Mr Khaw policies) ...
as you said, circumstances changed ... hence, policies need to be changed or overhauled to meet current and future demands

teddybear
21-04-13, 12:27
Tharman is the one who implemented IP programme?
Who implemented the rules which allow GEP students to go straight into best Sec school & JC without needing to compete fairly Based on their PSLE & O level results? :doh:
Such scheme is fair & meritocratic? Are they giving fair & equal treatment to all according to SG national pledge? It seems many are giving lip service to SG national pledge as well?

august
21-04-13, 13:47
Tharman is the one who implemented IP programme?
Who implemented the rules which allow GEP students to go straight into best Sec school & JC without needing to compete fairly Based on their PSLE & O level results? :doh:
Such scheme is fair & meritocratic? Are they giving fair & equal treatment to all according to SG national pledge? It seems many are giving lip service to SG national pledge as well?

some one already pulled a fast one and said the pledge is not a pledge but just an aspiration, u forgot? :D

teddybear
21-04-13, 15:04
Think I missed that post...
In that case, should not make people recite those since it is just hypocritic, what is the purpose of having all those civic & moral education lessons in schools?
For aspiration, we should recite the below:

We the citizens of Singapore,
We aspire to become top politicians & top income earners in Singapore,
so that we can pay less & less tax relative to what we earned,
& remember to spread the taxes to everybody in the population,
so that the top earners can keep their income tax low,
& remember to tell the poor that GST taxes is raised to help them have more money so that they will continue to thank them for all their good deeds & vote for them,
Remember to strive to become elite in GEP,
To ensure you have good school life for next 9 years & can get into best secondary & JC without having to compete fairly based on PSLE & O level results,
Always remember that Singapore national pledge is an aspiration,
it is not what you should do as an elite if you look back at all the policies implemented!
Last but not least, always pledge that whatever policies we implemented is for the benefits of every Singapore citizens, since black can become white with our pinky swift tongues, regardless of our race & religion!

P/s: above is just fiction. If there is any similarity, it is just a coincidence. :p

some one already pulled a fast one and said the pledge is not a pledge but just an aspiration, u forgot? :D

Allthepies
21-04-13, 18:16
People usually judge the performance of a good government by the number of spectacular things she does.

But usually a good government is one that give you nothing to worry about, not one that give you a spectacular show. For example when the water pact with Malaysia expired recently, Singaporeans felt nothing, no impact. In fact this shows the government has done a very good job, we have water to drink, we continue on with our lives unaffected. But people don't recognize this at all, they want to see government do spectacular things before they think the government is doing a good job.

teddybear
21-04-13, 18:25
You are right.
That is why people like me to see the need for so-called IP Programme which is only implemented in a few schools.
We see no need for more so-called consumption tax and progressive tax on wealth, especially when the great-grandfather of tax on wealth aka estate duty has been removed numerous years ago! Why remove something just to re-introduce again? :banghead:
If the govt need more tax collection, then why did they reduce the income tax of the top earners in the first place just to implement GST and more tax-collection policies to collect from everybody else? May be they can explain to all of us how this help everybody else (except the top earners)? :rolleyes:

People usually judge the performance of a good government by the number of spectacular things she does.

But usually a good government is one that give you nothing to worry about, not one that give you a spectacular show. For example when the water pact with Malaysia expired recently, Singaporeans felt nothing, no impact. In fact this shows the government has done a very good job, we have water to drink, we continue on with our lives unaffected. But people don't recognize this at all, they want to see government do spectacular things before they think the government is doing a good job.

Allthepies
21-04-13, 18:31
My personal feel is that government should focus on strategic issues like ensuring we have water to drink, we remain relevant and competitive in the world economy, we can defend ourselves, there is religious harmony etc...

teddybear
21-04-13, 18:35
Tax is a very important issue, especially when they are taxing people who have ZERO income! And that is when they cut the income tax of the top earners (themselves included) years ago just to implement GST to tax everybody, including those who has ZERO income!

My personal feel is that government should focus on strategic issues like ensuring we have water to drink, we remain relevant and competitive in the world economy, we can defend ourselves, there is religious harmony etc...

Allthepies
21-04-13, 19:15
Taxation, gst are secondary policies arriving from the primary issues...

My guess is company and personal taxation are kept low for competitive reason, to attract certain classes of people, companies to come here. We are competing at the world level.

Whether the poor received enough help is up to the poor to decide and tell us.....

Allthepies
21-04-13, 19:21
My personal view on how to help the poor is this: every middle class and above Singaporeans should set aside a sum of money decided by themselves each month. They should give this amount directly to any poor people that they meet during the month. If there are 1 million middle class and above people, theoretically we can help 1 million people that are less well off than us. This will really make Singapore a better place with Singaporeans helping less successful Singaporeans. As we give we also receive non monetary rewards.

teddybear
21-04-13, 19:31
Your suggestion is too simplistic. That is because the top earners makes up of less than 1% of the population and yet probably earns >50% of the money in a country, hence you asking the middle income to give to the poor, they can't do much. Obviously we should ask the really rich to contribute more, but by virtue of their connections and the power they wields, it ends up that they are getting tax less and less while earning more and more by squeezing their workers. This is when a strong govt is necessary to put a stop to all these. As such, it is even more ridiculous if you see govt reducing income tax of the top earners and for businesses/corporations (the really rich or who will become the really rich) and then implement other taxes that are aiming at raising more taxes from the other 99% of the population who have been squeezed left-right centre. They can say they have helped the poor, may be the bottom 10%, but the other 89% are still squeezed. This will continue to get ugly with raising consumption taxes and other form of "tax on wealth". My feeling is their new tax on wealth is again targeted at the masses, as we can see they abolish the estate duty which only taxes the really rich. What can we say then about such phenomenon? :rolleyes:

My personal view on how to help the poor is this: every middle class and above Singaporeans should set aside a sum of money decided by themselves each month. They should give this amount directly to any poor people that they meet during the month. If there are 1 million middle class and above people, theoretically we can help 1 million people that are less well off than us. This will really make Singapore a better place with Singaporeans helping less successful Singaporeans. As we give we also receive non monetary rewards.

Allthepies
21-04-13, 19:39
Compassion for fellow Singaporeans is there regardless of how rich you are. Only the rich should or can help? That what many of my middle class colleagues say, tax the rich more to help the poor; but when I say shouldn't everyone helps? They immediately keep quiet.

teddybear
21-04-13, 19:48
You are right on everyone who are able should help! However, RICH should help more as they are benefited from the current Singapore situation and make a fortune out it SHOULD HELP more!

Compassion for fellow Singaporeans is there regardless of how rich you are. Only the rich should or can help? That what many of my middle class colleagues say, tax the rich more to help the poor; but when I say shouldn't everyone helps? They immediately keep quiet.

teddybear
21-04-13, 20:31
Just to add, that is why I asking govt to tax the rich, me included, more through income tax (personal income and corporate income)! But please tax through the right avenue and category, i.e. through income tax and corporate tax! If I earn more, I don't mind paying more taxes. However when I am too old or I sold all my businesses and earn ZERO $, I should not be tax! That is simple logic! While I can afford, I empathize with those who can't, the old, the sick, the disabled who still get tax left-right-centre via the so-called consumption tax aka GST. Those who say consumption tax is fair really has ZERO empathy! They can say the bottom 10% was helped via workfare, so what about those who can't work because too old, no one want to employ, sick, disabled, etc etc? Talk cock sing song only? What about the rest of 80+% of middle-income? They deserve to be tax more so that the really rich and top earners can be taxed less? That seems to be what I am seeing now! :doh:

Warren Buffett is my idol, I am echoing what he has said! The rich has all sort of loopholes to reduce their income and corporate taxes, that is why Warren Buffett ask US govt to tax them even more in income tax since the actual tax rate he pay is less than his salaried secretary so as to factor in the "slippage" in taxes the really top earners have achieved in their taxes! :tsk-tsk:

Looks like Singapore has no such noble super rich & influential person as Warren Buffett? :rolleyes:

You are right on everyone who are able should help! However, RICH should help more as they are benefited from the current Singapore situation and make a fortune out it SHOULD HELP more!
Originally Posted by Allthepies