PDA

View Full Version : IMPACT OF FREE TRAVEL ON MRT TRAIN ON PROPERTY AND CARS?

DC33_2008
16-04-13, 10:33
Jermyn Chow | The Straits Times | Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013

SINGAPORE - Those who get get off trains between 7.45am and 8am in the morning will get a 50 cents discount on their fares. The incentives are part of the government's year-long trial to coax train users to travel earlier and spread out the peak hour crush.
http://www.asiaone.com/static/home/logo_credits/st_logo.jpg (http://www.straitstimes.com/)
Get the full story from The Straits Times (http://www.straitstimes.com/).
Here is the full statement from Land Transport Authority:
(Click on the photos below to find out which are the 16 MRT stations where you can get a free train ride.)
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will embark on a one-year trial from June 24, 2013 to provide free travel on the rail network for commuters who end their journey before 7.45am on weekdays at 16 designated MRT stations in the city area. In addition, commuters who exit at these stations between 7.45am and 8am will be given a discount of up to 50 cents off their train fare. The Government will be funding this one-year trial.
The objective of the trial is to encourage commuters who are able and willing to make changes to their travel schedule, to travel earlier into the city area before the peak hour. This would help spread out the morning peak hour crowds to the pre-peak period, and ease the crowding situation on city-bound stretches of the MRT network. It is part of the Government's effort to try to alleviate the morning peak hour crowding situation on trains in the short term, even as rail capacity is aggressively being increased through new lines, additional trains, as well as higher train frequencies in the longer term.

DC33_2008
16-04-13, 10:41
CONDOS NEAR THIS 16 STATIONS WILL BENEFIT THE MOST.

Free travel before 7.45am
Commuters must exit at any of the 16 designated stations in the city area by 7.45am on Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays) for the train portion of their journey to be free. The train journey must not begin at any of these 16 designated stations.
The 16 designated stations are Bugis, Chinatown, City Hall, Clarke Quay, Dhoby Ghaut, Lavender, Orchard, Outram Park, Raffles Place, Somerset, Tanjong Pagar, Bayfront, Bras Basah, Esplanade, Marina Bay and Promenade.

leesg123
16-04-13, 10:48
those who travel at those timing are office boy, auntie, cleaners etc. they buy condo?

those white collar cheap skate enough to wake uo early to take advantage of this free ride, will they buy condo near mrt?

Tripp
16-04-13, 10:48
To get free travel, you must exit at the 16 designated MRT stations before 7.45AM.

Why would condos around the areas give any benefit?

taggy
16-04-13, 11:07
CONDOS NEAR THIS 16 STATIONS WILL BENEFIT THE MOST.

Free travel before 7.45am
Commuters must exit at any of the 16 designated stations in the city area by 7.45am on Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays) for the train portion of their journey to be free. The train journey must not begin at any of these 16 designated stations.
The 16 designated stations are Bugis, Chinatown, City Hall, Clarke Quay, Dhoby Ghaut, Lavender, Orchard, Outram Park, Raffles Place, Somerset, Tanjong Pagar, Bayfront, Bras Basah, Esplanade, Marina Bay and Promenade.

Lavender is consider city area liao :cool:

indomie
16-04-13, 11:09
Mrt condo huat ah....

mcmlxxvi
16-04-13, 11:13
To get free travel, you must exit at the 16 designated MRT stations before 7.45AM.

Why would condos around the areas give any benefit?

Agree. Condos beside, (below?) or on top MRT will be more popular as it means easier for the kids (save money and wake up early) to ... oh kids school not near those MRT. Darn.

Working adults save the 5c 10c to sacrifice precious zzz time? Don't even speak of those staying condos. Nah.

Only benefit those HDB located beside mrt. The senior citizens wake up early anyway... but oh, wat business would they have exiting at those stations before 745am? Nah.

White collar and low pay workers renting rooms at hdb near MRT stations? YEA. So maybe landlords of those HDB would be happy as easier to rent out, however, since tenants super price sensitive, can forget about asking higher rent just for tenants to save 5c 10c on MRT trips. NAH.

In short - another doomed to fail policy with no sustainable effect whatsoever. Another word - WAYANG.

NorthernStar
16-04-13, 11:15
Mrt condo huat ah....
those suburban condos/HDB near MRT benefit most..:D

zzz1
16-04-13, 11:16
those who travel at those timing are office boy, auntie, cleaners etc. they buy condo?

those white collar cheap skate enough to wake uo early to take advantage of this free ride, will they buy condo near mrt?

Why not?

This is what happen when people , whom reached some small status in life, loss their footing on the ground ..

NorthernStar
16-04-13, 11:24
Agree. Condos beside, (below?) or on top MRT will be more popular as it means easier for the kids (save money and wake up early) to ... oh kids school not near those MRT. Darn.

Working adults save the 5c 10c to sacrifice precious zzz time? Don't even speak of those staying condos. Nah.

Only benefit those HDB located beside mrt. The senior citizens wake up early anyway... but oh, wat business would they have exiting at those stations before 745am? Nah.

White collar and low pay workers renting rooms at hdb near MRT stations? YEA. So maybe landlords of those HDB would be happy as easier to rent out, however, since tenants super price sensitive, can forget about asking higher rent just for tenants to save 5c 10c on MRT trips. NAH.

In short - another doomed to fail policy with no sustainable effect whatsoever. Another word - WAYANG.
Yishun to Cityhall $1.63 per trip... can save $32.6 if consider 20 days works... fare going to increase soon, i guess..

mcmlxxvi
16-04-13, 11:26
Yishun to Cityhall $1.63 per trip... can save $32.6 if consider 20 days works... fare going to increase soon, i guess..

Oh ya... I'm so wrong. I thought its discount nia. It's FREE TRIP!!!

WOW.

Now if only cinemas screen early morning movies at 8am. I can so totally save on even the transport.

august
16-04-13, 11:29

the govt is paying for it. Why should fare increase?

NorthernStar
16-04-13, 11:32
the govt is paying for it. Why should fare increase?
my guess only.. :D ..govt paying for it but where is the money come from?

august
16-04-13, 11:41
my guess only.. :D ..govt paying for it but where is the money come from?

from all these years of plump COE takings?

taggy
16-04-13, 11:46
how about this cheapskate style:
Travel from changi to jurong; or jurong to changi.
Exit at one of the city stations for free.
Then enter again for the other half of the journey...
In theory, saved half the travel cost :D:D:D

indomie
16-04-13, 12:10
how about this cheapskate style:
Travel from changi to jurong; or jurong to changi.
Exit at one of the city stations for free.
Then enter again for the other half of the journey...
In theory, saved half the travel cost :D:D:D
U have infinite wisdom. Breakfast industry will boom.

Lovelle
16-04-13, 12:16
Now 2M strategy is a winning strategy liao

sherlock
16-04-13, 12:23
SMRT revenue will fall? Profits sure drop one

p3nboy
16-04-13, 12:30

Thank you for your subsidy. I presume you drive and pay COE right?

p3nboy
16-04-13, 12:48
from all these years of plump COE takings?

Why do you think they took so long to step in? There are very simple solution to bring the CEO price down. When you can collect more $$, why collect less?:D

ay123
16-04-13, 13:25
SMRT revenue will fall? Profits sure drop one

why drop? in fact the revenue will increase becos more ppl taking train and govt is paying

taggy
16-04-13, 14:02
U have infinite wisdom. Breakfast industry will boom.
net effect is these 16 stations get lagi crowded and earlier :D

the shops owners smiling liao:cool:

azeoprop
16-04-13, 15:06
Maybe some will start new office hour timing, 7.30am to 4pm :D :rolleyes:

Lovelle
16-04-13, 15:52
will this increase the demand for OCR condos ?

the longer the journey, the more the ssavings is going to be....

alamak
16-04-13, 19:27

Transport Ministar Ah Lui say it cost gahment $10 million dollars for free ride n discounred ride and gahment don't intend to claim it back. In future any rise in MRT fares is not b'cos of the $10 Million. You believe that. Some say they give you a chicken drumstick and take back a whole chicken.

Giving GLC company SMRT $1 Billion of tax payers money to buy bus can redeem $10 Million tax payers free ride ??? can or not Mr Lui ???

If he keep quiet no one will say anything or question their intention - so a BIG WAYANG - trying to score brownie points.

Kanarazu
16-04-13, 19:29
Lots of uncles aunties who work as cleaners in office buildings will benefit greatly from the free rides in the morning. These are the low income singaporeans.

TMATT
16-04-13, 20:03
If possible, after a year trial, still give free transport to these low income family will be best, I don't mind pay a bit more , that what we as Singaporean all about - help each other. :D:cheers1:

However, how to come out such scheme will be difficult, as some may act blur to take free transport despite they are rich... :beats-me-man:

Lots of uncles aunties who work as cleaners in office buildings will benefit greatly from the free rides in the morning. These are the low income singaporeans.

indomie
16-04-13, 20:08
This is the first time sg get something free for anything at all. I propose a great fanfare to celebrate. The best thing in life is free.

samuelk
16-04-13, 20:10

those IT FT that works near banks will for once come to work on time finally at 830 instead of 11 am.

Kanarazu
16-04-13, 20:25
those IT FT that works near banks will for once come to work on time finally at 830 instead of 11 am.

11am is 8.30am GMT 5.5 mah.....:)

proud owner
16-04-13, 20:34
doesnt benefit me at all ...

i board the train at Orchard station at 7.15 am and alight at Raffles place before 7.45am

samuelk
16-04-13, 22:33
11am is 8.30am GMT 5.5 mah.....:)
unfortunately @ gmt 5,5, no one comes in at 830. the jam there is worst with animals clogging the road

fireclone
17-04-13, 10:52
Issit the purpose is to ease the congestion during peak hours rather than transport subsidy??

eng81157
17-04-13, 11:03
putting on a gian-peng mentality,

say my office is at raffles place. if take the train from Pasir Ris at 715am, hit bugis at 742am -

a.) do i then exit at bugis to claim a free ride and the re-enter to pay a lower fare for the journey between bugis and raffles place? or

b.) carry on the journey to raffles place and pay a higher fare since i'm likely to exceed the time limit?

sherlock
17-04-13, 11:13
A lot of drivers might just give up driving and take free rides to work. CBD no cars :scared-5:

teddybear
17-04-13, 14:23
You are taking bus or train? Why your train took 30 min for 4 stations from Orchard station to Raffles Place station? :scared-1:

i board the train at Orchard station at 7.15 am and alight at Raffles place before 7.45am

Shanhz
21-04-13, 13:26

Agree. I find this a nice policy. Those who want to save money just have to work for it. If u find it wayang, just maintain status quo. The savings are substantial for low income or those who r penny pinching for wateverreason. I, for one, will go to office earlier and eat my bfast, pangsai and read newspaper before start work. Why not?

Shanhz
21-04-13, 13:27

Sell your ccr, move to ocr, collect some cash and still save money WOW. :doh:

phantom_opera
21-04-13, 13:34
u must wake up latest 645am to have any chance lol

teddybear
21-04-13, 15:11
But is there free lunch in SG? Govt said they will pay for it, but using tax payers money right?
I thought it should be transport operators who should pay for it? Else might as well nationalize them? :doh:
Pay money, tax payers pay. Earn big money, transport operators keep in own pocket. Where can find such good deal except SG? :rolleyes:

Agree. I find this a nice policy. Those who want to save money just have to work for it. If u find it wayang, just maintain status quo. The savings are substantial for low income or those who r penny pinching for wateverreason. I, for one, will go to office earlier and eat my bfast, pangsai and read newspaper before start work. Why not?

irisng
21-04-13, 15:26
We come out as early as 7am try to beat the ERP at 7.30am, one at BKE and the other at PIE but due to the traffic jam, sometimes we have to pay about $3.50 for the ERP. If every day $3.50, we will have to pay about $1,092 per year. This is a hidden cost for driving a car. Without jam, we only need 15 mins to clear the 2 highways.

From what I observe, most of the time, the jam is due to :
1) the filter lane to the Lornie Road (jam for this lane getting more and more serious liow) and road leading to Toa Payoh
2) accidents (already park at one side) but still have curious drivers slow down their vehicles to have a look
3) new road signboards coming up, curious drivers also slow down
4) road works or new construcitons (not obstructing the traffic), curious drivers also slow down

Sometimes, don't understand where the jam comes from, after pass by the jam portion, can't see many cars after that, funny leh!!!

How about those at the east side, what causes the jam besides lots of vehicles?

irisng
21-04-13, 15:29
But is there free lunch in SG? Govt said they will pay for it, but using tax payers money right?
I thought it should be transport operators who should pay for it? Else might as well nationalize them? :doh:
Pay money, tax payers pay. Earn big money, transport operators keep in own pocket. Where can find such good deal except SG? :rolleyes:

Ya, like my daughter used my money to buy gifts for me.:p

proud owner
21-04-13, 18:07
You are taking bus or train? Why your train took 30 min for 4 stations from Orchard station to Raffles Place station? :scared-1:

definitely way before 7.45am

what i was trying to say was that even if i stayed within the allowed time limit ...alighting before 7.45am at any of the 16 stations ... i still cannot have Free ridw becos i board the train at one of the 16 stations ...

proud owner
21-04-13, 18:11
If possible, after a year trial, still give free transport to these low income family will be best, I don't mind pay a bit more , that what we as Singaporean all about - help each other. :D:cheers1:

However, how to come out such scheme will be difficult, as some may act blur to take free transport despite they are rich... :beats-me-man:

true true ...

i have seen MANY who drive to work early to aviod ERP ... reach office building ...park their car already NAP in car until 15mins before official start work time ..

SINGAPOREAN boleh ..... LONG LIVE SINGAPOREANS ...

proud owner
21-04-13, 18:13
This is the first time sg get something free for anything at all. I propose a great fanfare to celebrate. The best thing in life is free.

The only thing i know that is free in this world is Mother Teresa's Love

irisng
21-04-13, 22:26
duplicate post

irisng
21-04-13, 22:30
true true ...

i have seen MANY who drive to work early to aviod ERP ... reach office building ...park their car already NAP in car until 15mins before official start work time ..

Wow, luckily we are not the one. I found that it is a waste of time napping in the car unless you are really very tired. With these few extra mins, we can clear at least some of the work.

IMHO, gahment intention is to reduce the crowd at the MRT at certain time but indirectly they are pushing the crowd to another part of the time. Like the ERP, before the ERP was implemented, we seldom accounted the jam at the highways (as usual we went out at 7am, occasionally still can go out at about 7.10am - 7.20am), now with ERP, almost everyday jam:doh: If gahments really want to help the poor, then I think might well issue the lower income group a discounted ezlink card.