PDA

View Full Version : Slump in private home resale market

reporter2
12-04-13, 13:41
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/thursday/premium/money/story/slump-private-home-resale-market-20130411

Slump in private home resale market

SRX data shows March volumes down by about 50% year on year

Published on Apr 11, 2013

By Melissa Tan

THE private home resale market took a major hit last month from the seventh round of cooling measures unveiled in January.

Resale volumes in March slumped by half from the same month last year.

The impact on prices was more muted, though, as average resale prices slid 2 per cent from February, Singapore Real Estate Exchange (SRX), a consortium of the country's leading property agencies said yesterday.

A total of 609 transactions were recorded in March by SRX. This was 87 per cent higher than in February, as Chinese New Year fell within that month.

But analysts noted that the figure was about 50 per cent lower than March last year.

Condo resale volumes for the January to March period were also nearly 40 per cent lower than the preceding quarter.

DWG senior manager Lee Sze Teck cited sellers' "reluctance" to lower prices. This contrasts with the new sales market, where developers have been quick to offer incentives to offset the impact of cooling measures, Mr Lee said, pointing out that new sales rose by about 12.5 per cent in the first quarter from the preceding one.

But though volumes have come down sharply, prices did not follow suit in March.

The dip in condo resale prices was largest in the suburban region, which posted a 3 per cent decline to $1,071 per sq ft on average. That is still above the psychologically daunting $1,000 psf threshold that suburban condo resale prices exceeded for the first time in February this year.

City centre average resale prices dropped 2 per cent to $1,788 psf, while city fringe prices stayed largely flat at $1,301 psf on average last month, SRX said in its flash report.

"As long as interest rates stay low, holding costs are low and sellers are not compelled to cut prices," said ERA Realty key executive officer Eugene Lim.

Softening prices combined with higher rents boosted rental yields islandwide last month.

The city fringe had the highest gross rental yield at 3.8 per cent, followed by suburban yields at 3.7 per cent. The city centre had the lowest rental yield at 3.1 per cent.

On a quarterly basis, however, overall condo resale prices grew 4.2 per cent, owing to stronger increases in January and February, SRX said.

A DTZ report yesterday said price growth across most non-landed segments slowed by more than half in the first quarter compared with the fourth quarter last year.

But sequential price growth in the first quarter was stronger than in the corresponding period last year, which was immediately after an additional buyer's stamp duty was imposed for the first time.

This could be due to buyers "getting accustomed" to the duty and earlier tighter loan restrictions, said DTZ.

March's flash report is the first time SRX has used a weighted average to compute overall average resale price.

Without this, noted OrangeTee research and consultancy head Christine Li, March resale prices would have increased from February.

[email protected]

Cupcakes
12-04-13, 20:57
Because not one selling or price really decline ?

Kelonguni
12-04-13, 21:15
I think sooner or later will publish size data.

Price drop could also mean size increase.

pool100
12-04-13, 23:54
Not surprising to see a stalemate between seller and buyer now. It's a 'see who blinks first' situation.

Normally jitters in the macro economic environment will trigger a sell-down scenario. i.e desperate sellers match down to buyer's asking price. In my humble opinion, the probability of downside is probably higher than the upside.

DKSG
13-04-13, 01:28
Not surprising to see a stalemate between seller and buyer now. It's a 'see who blinks first' situation.

Normally jitters in the macro economic environment will trigger a sell-down scenario. i.e desperate sellers match down to buyer's asking price. In my humble opinion, the probability of downside is probably higher than the upside.

There is no one blinking.
Those who own investment properties now are very reluctant to sell anything because once sold, cannot buy back unless you can find something that is more than 20% undervalued.

So supply is shrinking. Office Boy get calls everyday asking if I wanna sell my properties. Just imagine if you own 3-4 properties now, will you want to sell one now and try to invest in another one ? The churning cost is way too high for you to find another property.

You certainly would rather sit back, watch your properties' price inch up a bit a bit every quarter and collect the FAT rental now. If you take rental minus interest expense, you will realise most landlords and now laughing silently to the bank every month. Just ask any landlord ... they will tell u secretly.

DKSG

henryhk
13-04-13, 05:52
Why need to laugh silently......we laugh loudly

henryhk
13-04-13, 05:53
[QUOTE=henryhk]Why need to laugh silently......we laugh loudly......and we are not secretive!

sh
13-04-13, 07:52
:cheers1: loudly :im-so-happy: :im-so-happy: :D

Khng8
13-04-13, 08:03
The agents are saying rental budget is dropping. Especially for CCR.
Anybody here experiencing it?
Or rental really still going strong?

yowetan
13-04-13, 09:10
A well deserving crash will crash and prevent all landlords from exploiting.

TravieJackie
13-04-13, 09:51
Seems like less less people willing to sell now.

DC33_2008
13-04-13, 10:16
Furthermore, most of them would have loan package that has low spread of as low as 0.6% and span over 30-40 years.
There is no one blinking.
Those who own investment properties now are very reluctant to sell anything because once sold, cannot buy back unless you can find something that is more than 20% undervalued.

So supply is shrinking. Office Boy get calls everyday asking if I wanna sell my properties. Just imagine if you own 3-4 properties now, will you want to sell one now and try to invest in another one ? The churning cost is way too high for you to find another property.

You certainly would rather sit back, watch your properties' price inch up a bit a bit every quarter and collect the FAT rental now. If you take rental minus interest expense, you will realise most landlords and now laughing silently to the bank every month. Just ask any landlord ... they will tell u secretly.

DKSG

DC33_2008
13-04-13, 10:19
The large ones with high quantum may be affected. Those asking $5-6k ones should not be a problem.
The agents are saying rental budget is dropping. Especially for CCR.
Anybody here experiencing it?
Or rental really still going strong?

indomie
13-04-13, 10:41
Furthermore, most of them would have loan package that has low spread of as low as 0.6% and span over 30-40 years.
Actually, for the people with this kind of loan, has the best deal anywhere in the world today. I don't understand anyone who want to let go of it and sell it.

Amber Woods
13-04-13, 10:50
When the fear finally sinks in and the thought of having to hold on to an inflated asset with a mortgage to service over 30-40 years makes no sense.

sh
13-04-13, 11:52
When the fear finally sinks in and the thought of having to hold on to an inflated asset with a mortgage to service over 30-40 years makes no sense.

If you have multiple investment properties. Don't worry about mortgage over 30-40 years... Inflation will pay the loan for you over the long term. If need be, sell one or two to pay off the rest....

What is better than debt in a high inflation, low interest rate environment.

Amber Woods
13-04-13, 12:13
If you have multiple investment properties. Don't worry about mortgage over 30-40 years... Inflation will pay the loan for you over the long term. If need be, sell one or two to pay off the rest....

What is better than debt in a high inflation, low interest rate environment.

Agree that one may be better off selling off one or two to pay for the rest for multiple investment properties.

High inflation, low interest are only temporary and things will be back to normal unless of course you believe otherwise.

sh
13-04-13, 12:16
Agree that one may be better off selling off one or two to pay for the rest for multiple investment properties.

High inflation, low interest are only temporary and things will be back to normal unless of course you believe otherwise.

Make hay while the sun shines...

Adjust strategy when the situation changes....

heehee
13-04-13, 17:38
No worry, inflated asset is no longer inflated with the massive paper money printing from US, Europe, Japan & China now going on!

Amber Woods
13-04-13, 18:07
No worry, inflated asset is no longer inflated with the massive paper money printing from US, Europe, Japan & China now going on!

We had earlier discussed this and my response is below.

heehee
13-04-13, 18:16
Inflation due to money printing will be there forever!

Amber Woods
13-04-13, 18:22

The government does not think so, IMF does not think so. Wish you well!

DKSG
13-04-13, 22:29

Everyone knows that once Kopi price increased from 50 cents to 60 cents to 80 cents, it never never went back ever ever again.

Money once printed, it hard to unprint it anymore.

Once your pay increase by 10%, it is very difficult for your company to cut it back.

DKSG

teddybear
13-04-13, 23:16
Well said! I wonder is Amber Woods the govt &/or IMF head to know what they think? Very often, what people think and what they say are different! What do you expect the govt to say for massive money printing? That it will reduce your inflation and hence cost of living while making your pay increase much faster than inflation? :p
While we also know that in 199x govt ask people to study IT & engineering to be IT professionals and engineers as there was a shortage, but do their children really go study IT & engineering and then work as IT professionals and engineers? :beats-me-man:

Everyone knows that once Kopi price increased from 50 cents to 60 cents to 80 cents, it never never went back ever ever again.

Once your pay increase by 10%, it is very difficult for your company to cut it back.

DKSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee

ShadowFax
13-04-13, 23:58
My development has zero listing. About one month plus back, it has 2 listings for rental and they are both gone now. All these years, it has always has listing until the last CM.

Amber Woods
14-04-13, 04:19

DKSG

Well said! I wonder is Amber Woods the govt &/or IMF head to know what they think?Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee

It is strange that you are comparing kopi with property. If you think property prces will not come down once money printed, good luck to you.

The_Way_I_See_It
14-04-13, 08:40

The world is forming trading "bloc" among themselves and among the BRICS eg Aussie now trade with China using Yuan. This is just beginning of the decline of US$$$. China has literally stopped buying US debt instruments.. at some point of time, Post Bernake or post Obama era will realise American $$$ decline just as British pound lose its potency. America will realise that some of its allies will abandon her and join forces with BRICS.
US will shut down its $$$ printing machine and increase its interest rate.

The after effects of the catastrophic 2008 ..2009 are only temporarily halted n delayed .. its real ugly head will rear in next 3 years. You can bet on this.

The Mkt surge now in Dow Jones and S&P is just a prelude to a steep decline. History always repeats itself. You can bet on this.

The_Way_I_See_It
14-04-13, 08:49
Seems like less less people willing to sell now.

Put the reverse on your thought process.. more and more people are careful and not willing to "gungho" buy now given current situations ...

What happen when there is a stalemate ... r u at the tail end of a bull or beginning of a bull .. food for thought

indomie
14-04-13, 09:55
Put the reverse on your thought process.. more and more people are careful and not willing to "gungho" buy now given current situations ...

What happen when there is a stalemate ... r u at the tail end of a bull or beginning of a bull .. food for thought
Are u expecting a sudden crash or a gradual decline?

DKSG
14-04-13, 10:37

Travie is saying there are lesser and lesser people selling now.
To the agent, selling is usually the first leg.

Once u get a unit to sell,then you got chance to make money.

I think you didnt view enough resale/subsale units. If you have, you will realised that the asking prices are now still slightly higher than last transacted (maybe at most 3-5% below depending on facing/floors).

Like I mentioned earlier, lesser people selling is because people can no longer replace (other than paying extra 10% which usually eat into their 30-40% profits).

If you are holding 3 properties now, will you try to sell one of them and hope to find a replacemen with a higher profit ? Very unlikely due to the ABSD.

DKSG

DKSG
14-04-13, 10:41
It is strange that you are comparing kopi with property. If you think property prces will not come down once money printed, good luck to you.

I think there is a chance that property prices may come down 3-5% this year.

But the problem is this decline is insufficient for most investors to jump in.

The reason is because there are many many many first time investor (2 unit buyer) waiting at the sideline (due to CM) and will jump in once they see something selling for 5% below valuation.

If you dont believe, just put your property up for sale at 5% below valuation and see if got people jump in ?

At least when I did, I get quite a few offers.

DKSG

Rosy
14-04-13, 10:48
If you are holding 3 properties now, will you try to sell one of them and hope to find a replacemen with a higher profit ? Very unlikely due to the ABSD.

DKSG

Some maybe selling and divert funds to other asset class or investments which they believe it to have better upside.

Even without absd and CMs, i do not understand why we need to flip. Buy and sell then buy back again? No for me unless it is for downgrading or upgrading.

Rosy
14-04-13, 10:50
If you dont believe, just put your property up for sale at 5% below valuation and see if got people jump in ?

DKSG
Is there any offer that reflects current market value? Or seller must sell at a slight discount now?

phantom_opera
14-04-13, 10:57
amber woods are u new in Sg?

check kopi price and PUB bill in 2003, kopi price up 100pc, electicity up 40pc,
it is the same for US gas price

whether booming or recession, the era of cheap oil is over, there is still oil but expensive to extract

commodity n food prices all linked to oil price, construction of property need steel, timber etc so ultimately affected by oil price

mass market condo construction cost is 250 to 300psf, it is a fact, with tightening of foreign labor more upside

so pls dun say kopi price has nothing to do with property

McDonald black coffee now 1.95, toastbox 1.80

Amber Woods
14-04-13, 11:23
I think there is a chance that property prices may come down 3-5% this year.

But the problem is this decline is insufficient for most investors to jump in.

The reason is because there are many many many first time investor (2 unit buyer) waiting at the sideline (due to CM) and will jump in once they see something selling for 5% below valuation.

DKSG

The fact is that as Mr Khaw pointed out, people has not sunk-in to the idea that the days of high growth and hence high wages is at an end and property prices cannot like in the past continue to appreciate at growth rate.

Amber Woods
14-04-13, 11:27
amber woods are u new in Sg?

check kopi price and PUB bill in 2003, kopi price up 100pc, electicity up 40pc,
it is the same for US gas price

whether booming or recession, the era of cheap oil is over, there is still oil but expensive to extract

commodity n food prices all linked to oil price, construction of property need steel, timber etc so ultimately affected by oil price

mass market condo construction cost is 250 to 300psf, it is a fact, with tightening of foreign labor more upside

so pls dun say kopi price has nothing to do with property

McDonald black coffee now 1.95, toastbox 1.80

We are not talking about general cost of inflation. We are talking about the inflated prices of property. Prices of property is like gold or other investable assets. It can go up or down. I do understand some basic economic which I studied during my undergraduate years.

phantom_opera
14-04-13, 12:27
there is finite resource on this earth, 10y ago demand for resource mostly from G7, however BRICs had blistering growth, suddenly you have hundreds of millions more middle class fighting for oil, metal, commodities, prime properties

today high property prices and food inflation are not entirely due to domestic issues, it is the same in other prime booming Asian cities

kane
14-04-13, 12:32
Here's what phantom is trying to point out. Over the last 10 years, the price of rice went up by 100%. And most properties, excluding the star performers went up by 100%. Therefore real estate hasn't outperformed the peer real assets, it has merely tracked inflation due to a drop in the real value of fiat currency. You don't learn mcuh of these things in uni because inflation is a small topic with a few formula. Keynesian economics has taken a back seat as monetary policy has taken centre stage.

Amber Woods
14-04-13, 12:49
Here's what phantom is trying to point out. Over the last 10 years, the price of rice went up by 100%. And most properties, excluding the star performers went up by 100%. Therefore real estate hasn't outperformed the peer real assets, it has merely tracked inflation due to a drop in the real value of fiat currency. You don't learn mcuh of these things in uni because inflation is a small topic with a few formula. Keynesian economics has taken a back seat as monetary policy has taken centre stage.

You had just answered your own question. Inflation due to monetary policies. So it can also be managed through monetay policies preventing asset bubbles.

Leeds
14-04-13, 13:08
You had just answered your own question. Inflation due to monetary policies. So it can also be managed through monetay policies preventing asset bubbles.

Hi Amber,

You sound to me someone with good understanding of economic. I noted that there are always people in this forum who sole objective is to defend the high property price to support their own interest. They are not interested in the workings of economic. Most of them are not here to learn economic but to defend their interests with their own "convictions" of the market.

Yes! we should just respect what they see fit.

phantom_opera
14-04-13, 13:25
res inflation is not just due to printing machine, there is real demand from BRICs, how else australia as a net resource exporter must give face to China?? the booming economy n property prices of australia in last decade has a lot to do with rise of China

prices will not return to 2009 or 2003 level unless garmen want to subsidize

rockinsg
14-04-13, 13:36
Hi Amber,

You sound to me someone with good understanding of economic. I noted that there are always people in this forum who sole objective is to defend the high property price to support their own interest. They are not interested in the workings of economic. Most of them are not here to learn economic but to defend their interests with their own "convictions" of the market.

I think people here are just trying to explain that economics in books and real world is lot different.
Can property price come down? for sure.
Can go up? unlikely
Stay Stagnate(+/-10) for salaries to catch up? very likely.

So if you have money in a bank, you are better off buying rather than waiting.
With the currency fight money is been devalued. Salaries will creep up slowly to counter inflation. 100K Salary 6 years ago and now are lot different. Everybody can testify to that, and it has nothing to do with property.
Everything has increased. Meal doesn't cost the same anymore and it won't.
If you wait for 50C kopi u will wait long long.

phantom_opera
14-04-13, 13:36
just look at Australian dollars, rise of BRICs has shifted the power to resource rich countries as they can price resources higher

now land is the only natural resource Sg has

khaw already subsidizing in non mature BTOs he can remove income ceiling to subsidize slightly more families but he can't possibly subsidize the whole housing market

phantom_opera
14-04-13, 13:42
talking abt subsidy Sg voters and opposition are not as smart as hk voters who even force hk garmen to issue ibond for all citizens to counter inflation

instead Sg opposition n voters want to send cheap labor home which further aggravate inflation

Amber Woods
14-04-13, 14:12
I think people here are just trying to explain that economics in books and real world is lot different.
Can property price come down? for sure.
Can go up? unlikely
Stay Stagnate(+/-10) for salaries to catch up? very likely.

So if you have money in a bank, you are better off buying rather than waiting.
With the currency fight money is been devalued. Salaries will creep up slowly to counter inflation. 100K Salary 6 years ago and now are lot different. Everybody can testify to that, and it has nothing to do with property.
Everything has increased. Meal doesn't cost the same anymore and it won't.
If you wait for 50C kopi u will wait long long.

I had already mentioned the differences between cost of general inflation and inflation due to the loose monetary policies through the printing of money. The kopi price is due to general inflation but the current high prices for property is due mainly to the loose monetary policies.

People are trying to confuse others that the current high property price is due to the general cost of inflation by giving the example of the price of a cup of kopi. This is flawed..

Nobody is waiting for kopi to come down to 50 cnets. They are just making it out from their own theory while pretending to be knowledgeable in the subject matter to support their own interest.

teddybear
14-04-13, 14:15
Also, don't forget about the actual demand from the flood of foreigners from 2005-now (from 3+m to 5.3m)!!!

there is finite resource on this earth, 10y ago demand for resource mostly from G7, however BRICs had blistering growth, suddenly you have hundreds of millions more middle class fighting for oil, metal, commodities, prime properties

today high property prices and food inflation are not entirely due to domestic issues, it is the same in other prime booming Asian cities

teddybear
14-04-13, 14:26
You sound to me someone in the uni to teach economics. I wonder why your are an expert in economic but still can miss the boat n always in the opposite of the market! Maybe u act against your view. Then, can bet the right side :D

Hi Amber,

phantom_opera
14-04-13, 14:26
BRICs middle class are not only competing for resources but also jobs, many in the US outsource call centers to India, development in china

After a while Beijing n Bombay are commanding same salary as Singapore and close to US pay, these Chinese and Indians are mobile and global, they can smell good deals like Sg properties if mispriced relatively

so be prepared for brutal competition, yowetan n gang
Sg has a few millions, India has 300m middle class, china could be double soon

Leeds
14-04-13, 14:29
You sound to me someone in the uni to teach economics. I wonder why your are an expert in economic but still can miss the boat n always in the opposite of the market! Maybe u act against your view. Then, can bet the right side :D

Most people know that I am neutral. I did not miss any boat if you had read my writings. Obviously, you did not. Please do not make personal assumptions about others. If you are not sure, please ask politely and you may get a response in turn.

teddybear
14-04-13, 14:39
I for sure am the one think you are NOT neutral. Most of your posts are very bearish!!! That make people can't help to think that you miss the boat. People who didn't miss the boat and have vested interests will not never talk bad about the Market!! Who would try to talk bad about market which will affect their own pocket? This is just common sense.

Most people know that I am neutral. I did not miss any boat if you had read my writings. Obviously, you did not. Please do not make personal assumptions about others. If you are not sure, please ask politely and you may get a response in turn.

Leeds
14-04-13, 14:48
I for sure am the one think you are NOT neutral. Most of your posts are very bearish!!! That make people can't help to think that you miss the boat. People who didn't miss the boat and have vested interests will not never talk bad about the Market!! Who would try to talk bad about market which will affect their own pocket? This is just common sense.

Exactly! There are too many vested individuals who cannot tolerate views that are on the contrary.

I discuss about economic and its implications to the current market. Thus far, most economists are just as sceptical as I am in assessing the current market. Only developers, housing agents, analysts and those vested choose to say it otherwise even though they are aware of the risks. This is understandable.

At the very least, the neutralist will not disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.

indomie
14-04-13, 15:08
Exactly! There are too many vested individuals who cannot tolerate views that are on the contrary.

I discuss about economic and its implications to the current market. Thus far, most economists are just as sceptical as I am in assessing the current market. Only developers, housing agents, analysts and those vested choose to say it otherwise even though they are aware of the risks. This is understandable.

At the very least, the neutralist will not disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.
Neutralist don't make money. To make money you have to be on one side or the other. Neutralist don't get any symphathy from the bull or the bear. Being neutral is not very helpful in giving market insight.

teddybear
14-04-13, 15:08
Regardless of inflation due to printing money or the actual cost of general inflation. These are inflation affecting everyone. GST & high commercial rental due to REIT are real coss of general inflation! I know economist Leeds won't agree to that as he is not in business world and do not understand how it works! By the way, Which economist say GST does not cause GST ?

I had already mentioned the differences between cost of general inflation and inflation due to the loose monetary policies through the printing of money. The kopi price is due to general inflation but the current high prices for property is due mainly to the loose monetary policies.

People are trying to confuse others that the current high property price is due to the general cost of inflation by giving the example of the price of a cup of kopi. This is flawed..

Nobody is waiting for kopi to come down to 50 cnets. They are just making it out from their own theory while pretending to be knowledgeable in the subject matter to support their own interest.

Leeds
14-04-13, 15:20
Neutralist don't make money. To make money you have to be on one side or the other. Neutralist don't get any symphathy from the bull or the bear. Being neutral is not very helpful in giving market insight.

I am not making money through this forum unlike many vested here. If my views are consistent with the bears, that is good if they find them useful. If my views are contrary to the bulls, it is just that way. We need to learn to live as an inclusive society.

teddybear
14-04-13, 15:26
Which economist say that government can effectively take back the money after they have printed, circulated and flooded the markets a lot of cheap monies! Which famous economist says that printing cheap monies will not cause inflation. US dont worry about inflation but they worry about deflation. That's why keep money.

At least, I know developers, housing agents, those vested investors are Correct since 2009 !!
Wow, they r right >4 yrs n r still counting!

Leeds
14-04-13, 15:27
April 16, 2005

An oft-voiced concern in countries introducing value-added tax is that the introduction of the tax would set in motion a spiral in which tax, prices and wages would feed on each other -- that is, VAT would be inflationary.
If the inflationary impact is taken to mean a sustained increase in the rate of inflation then the concern would be conceptually misguided. The introduction of VAT, or any tax for that matter, can never, by itself, lead to a sustained increase in the rate of change in the price level.
Such a change in the inflation rate can only be produced by an expansionary monetary policy under all circumstances. If, however, the term is interpreted as an increase in the price level (or a one-period increase in the inflation rate), then whether VAT is inflationary in this sense would depend on a number of factors.

The Crisis Over VAT: Complete Coverage (http://in.rediff.com/money/vat.htm)
Consider, some examples of VAT in other countries. After VAT was first introduced, a survey was conducted by Alan S Tait on its impact in several countries on the basis of International Monetary Fund data, which shows that VAT is never introduced in isolation.
There are a number of variables influencing price change, and therefore, it is difficult to empirically assess the effect of VAT on prices. The impact of VAT on prices, therefore, cannot be strictly segregated from the general trend in inflation. First, the taxes that have been replaced are also relevant. They could be a wholesale sales tax of the cascading type, a simpler VAT, a multistage ring system, a cascade production tax and so on.
Second, the design to yield equal or higher revenue also makes a difference.
Third, other concurrent changes such as rise in oil or steel prices in international and internal markets, increase in utility rates, changes in wage levels, administrative changes such as tighter monetary policy, price control, monitoring of prices and so on, make due impact on the price rise.
According to the survey, in 22 countries, no major impact on the consumer price index was identified.
In another eight, the introduction of VAT was associated with a highly defined once and for all shift in the consumer price index; only in one of these cases it could be said to have accelerated the rate of increase of the consumer price index.
In seven other cases, although the shift was permanent there was no acceleration in the rate of change in prices attributable to VAT.
Therefore, in 29 cases (22 plus seven) -- 83 per cent of the total sample -- the introduction of VAT did not alter the rate of price change.
Price control measures can be used effectively to dampen the potential price-wage acceleration of inflation after the introduction of VAT -- some good examples are Austria, France, Korea, Norway and the Netherlands.
Perhaps the most important conclusion of the survey is that there seems to be nothing inherently inflationary about the use of VAT. In 33 out of 41 cases reviewed -- over 80 per cent -- (the "shift" cases and the "little or no effect" cases), VAT was not a contributory factor to inflation.
There is another empirical study on the Netherlands on the issue of price rise. The Central Planning Bureau in the Netherlands calculated the price effect of VAT from 1969 to 1980.
While VAT was introduced in the country in 1970, the study goes up to 1980 and the trend in price rise due to VAT can clearly be seen as insignificant, or none at all.
In Indonesia, there were widespread apprehensions of substantial price rise before VAT was introduced in April 1985. However, in practice nothing like that happened.
In fact, price indexes for consumer products fell slightly in the first week after adoption of VAT, and domestic inflation for the subsequent year was well below that for the previous year.
It is evident from the discussion that inflation had not surfaced in the countries under the study, which cover a cross section of countries from the world over, because of VAT alone.
There may be a minor one-shot increase or once and for all impact to begin with under certain circumstances due to replacing other taxes and consequent adjustments by the traders and also because the overall number of tax payers would increase, but the crucial question is whether this one time increase would lead to further price escalation.
There would be offsetting price effects because of the elimination of the cascading tax. The media has reported that some sellers of consumer durable goods have said that the 12.5 per cent rate is higher than the previous one.
They are suppressing the fact that now the manufacturers shall be getting input credit for the sales tax paid on the raw materials and machinery.
Moreover, 4 per cent is lower than most of the existing rates. So the overall VAT rate will prove to be the same as the effective rate prevailing before.
The net price effect of VAT would be nil. If the VAT is an equal-yield tax, and that is how it has been designed to be in India, there would not be any effect on the overall price change, although there may be changes in relative prices.
The tax being revenue neutral, the aggregate demand is unchanged and so there would be no impact on the aggregate price level. There is unanimity among the economists all over the world that there seems to be nothing inherently inflationary about the use of VAT.
Thus, this brings us to another aspect related to VAT administration, that is, the potentially inflationary effect can be constrained by government policies to inform the public and traders about the expected effect of VAT on prices, the use of price controls, monitoring of prices, offsetting adjustment in other taxes and generous provisions to ensure full credit for previously paid taxes on inputs.
One can criticise VAT for other reasons, but it cannot be called inflationary.