PDA

View Full Version : Went property hunting today

Werther
28-02-13, 18:18
As I have some time this week, went for house hunting.

I saw 2 properties today and apparently they are both owned by ang-moh....hmmmm just wondering if they are cashing out now....

I asked the agents and they said one looking to buy house in uk and the other one in Australia.

may2012
28-02-13, 19:04
har! so fast the FT are leaving already?:2cents:

starrynight
28-02-13, 20:24
Mind saying where u viewed?

I think the foreigners who are not totally familiar with the CM details may fear that the measures are getting Punitive. For example maybe they start fearing capital gains taxes.

As I have some time this week, went for house hunting.

I saw 2 properties today and apparently monthey are both owned by ang-moh....hmmmm just wondering if they are cashing out now....

I asked the agents and they said one looking to buy house in uk and the other one in Australia.

charm
28-02-13, 20:56
har! so fast the FT are leaving already?:2cents:
Had a talk over dinner with my frd who is a HR profession in MNC firm. Mentioned the company 2013 budget for NEW expat used HDB housing allowance instead of Condo as per their previous year. At first I'm doubtful that EXPAT will even stay in HDB.... but recently my mum's block itself got an AngMo family just moved in!!??:scared-4: :scared-4: unbelievable to see them walking to downstair hawker buy food every morning... actually just feel a little weird :beats-me-man:

teddybear
28-02-13, 21:02
That your company is not employing EXPAT, these are called "Foreign Worker"!

Had a talk over dinner with my frd who is a HR profession in MNC firm. Mentioned the company 2013 budget for NEW expat used HDB housing allowance instead of Condo as per their previous year. At first I'm doubtful that EXPAT will even stay in HDB.... but recently my mum's block itself got an AngMo family just moved in!!??:scared-4: :scared-4: unbelievable to see them walking to downstair hawker buy food every morning... actually just feel a little weird :beats-me-man:

proud owner
28-02-13, 21:08

really ??

shud tell you friend to post an article on ST ... so that other mncs can follow suit ...

so those expat FW wont be so ya ya

kane
28-02-13, 21:15
initially, i saw them at my coffee shop ordering beer by the bottles with that ice tub.

then they even migrated to the hawker centre without the beer auntie / girl serving them.

it's been happening for at least over a year already.

since those guys want to cash out to buy something else where, might as well low ball them.

starrynight
28-02-13, 21:24
Actually, there are quite a number of westerners working in Singapore on local packages earning around $7,000 to $8,000 a month (including their housing allowance).

It's no longer that strange to see them renting HDB flats.

What would be strange would be seeing them:
a. drink Tiger with ice
b. buy Wan bao :D
c. feeding rice to the stray cats
d. burning joss paper

Heh

initially, i saw them at my coffee shop ordering beer by the bottles with that ice tub.

then they even migrated to the hawker centre without the beer auntie / girl serving them.

it's been happening for at least over a year already.

since those guys want to cash out to buy something else where, might as well low ball them.

byyboo
28-02-13, 21:26
I recently found out the 3 room flat beside my unit is owned by an Eurasian. And for years I never seen him, only different groups of indian families moving in and out. SInce the last one moved out, it has been vacant for months. My in laws need to buy so what can I do?

Its apparent to me HDB are allowing foreigners or Singaporean to rent out their units totally even before they fufill their MOP? :banghead:

kane
28-02-13, 21:33
Actually, there are quite a number of westerners working in Singapore on local packages earning around $7,000 to $8,000 a month (including their housing allowance).

a. drink Tiger with ice
d. burning joss paper

Heh

(A) would be a classic sight
(B) 100% localised
(D) religion also changed already?!?!

starrynight
28-02-13, 21:35
I'm sorry to say this, but if you can weave a "filli falla" convincing story around being posted overseas for work, etc. I'm not surprised that it's easy to get special consent to lease out the whole unit even before MOP is up.

Only catch is that the MOP is suspended, i.e. it does not "run" when you are overseas.

I recently found out the 3 room flat beside my unit is owned by an Eurasian. And for years I never seen him, only different groups of indian families moving in and out. SInce the last one moved out, it has been vacant for months. My in laws need to buy so what can I do?

Its apparent to me HDB are allowing foreigners or Singaporean to rent out their units totally even before they fufill their MOP? :banghead:

charm
28-02-13, 21:37
That your company is not employing EXPAT, these are called "Foreign Worker"!

you mean this is a new term for Expat? FT ? :doh: :doh:

sunny88
28-02-13, 21:37
May I know whereabouts are the ang mohs selling the properties?

Werther
28-02-13, 22:08
Hi all

One in pasir panjiang and another around holland area. Even agent also ang moh....how like that, our Local agent got competition from phinoys, china and now ang moh.

By the way, need yr advise, I hv critical illness insurance coverage and thinking of adding more. Due to my age, ahem..50 next year, any better coverage without paying too much like rider? Ntuc good?

Ringo33
28-02-13, 22:18
Hi all

One in pasir panjiang and another around holland area. Even agent also ang moh....how like that, our Local agent got competition from phinoys, china and now ang moh.

By the way, need yr advise, I hv critical illness insurance coverage and thinking of adding more. Due to my age, ahem..50 next year, any better coverage without paying too much like rider? Ntuc good?

NTUC through Safra is the best. highly recommended by my insurance agent who is not from NTUC

Sleepyhead
28-02-13, 22:19
I'm sorry to say this, but if you can weave a "filli falla" convincing story around being posted overseas for work, etc. I'm not surprised that it's easy to get special consent to lease out the whole unit even before MOP is up.

Only catch is that the MOP is suspended, i.e. it does not "run" when you are overseas.

Not anymore. HDB has tightened the rules. My FT colleague was renting a HDB from a couple who was posted to Sabah to work, after having bought the unit just a year ago. HDB granted permission to rent out for 2 years. Now the 2 years is up, HDB refuse to allow renewal. Said too bad, just leave it empty. So my FT colleague has to move out. HDB even send ppl to knock on door to check!

kane
28-02-13, 22:20
Not anymore. HDB has tightened the rules. My FT colleague was renting a HDB from a couple who was posted to Sabah to work, after having bought the unit just a year ago. HDB granted permission to rent out for 2 years. Now the 2 years is up, HDB refuse to allow renewal. Said too bad, just leave it empty. So my FT colleague has to move out. HDB even send ppl to knock on door to check!

so they'll have to leave it empty for another 4 years then.

Werther
28-02-13, 22:33
NTUC through Safra is the best. highly recommended by my insurance agent who is not from NTUC

Hi Ringo

So I can call Ntuc? Strange, my Ntuc insurance friend never highlight this. What is this exactly?

Tks

focus
28-02-13, 22:43
Hi all

Good good. Hope more ang moh agents come in and maybe can setup an angmoh team with their own agency.

Give the local agents a fight for their money. :)

Ringo33
28-02-13, 23:00
Hi Ringo

So I can call Ntuc? Strange, my Ntuc insurance friend never highlight this. What is this exactly?

Tks
http://www.safra.sg/en/Join/SAFRA-Membership/Member-Services/SAFRA-Insurance.aspx#.US9-9VfTLE0

chiaberry
28-02-13, 23:14
Hi all

I think you should get a hospitalisation plan to replace Medishield if you haven't already done so. The rider is recommended so that it reduces what you have to pay in cash when hospitalised.

Be warned. A serious illness can suddenly happen out out of the blue. I have a good friend in his later 50s. Was apparently in good health last year. Went on many trips abroad enjoying the good life. Towards the end of the year, felt very tired and lethargic. Found to have a heart condition. Needed to have open heart surgery. I estimate the hospital bills would add up to 100K. The best thing his wife did was to have purchased the Incomeshield preferred plan with rider to cover all the bills. Never underestimate your state of health and never underestimate the cost of medical care. You may think you want to go to restructured hospital under C class but these days there are SO MANY FOREIGN TALENT in restructured hospitals that it is pretty scary. Somemore if you need something done urgently and there are no hospital beds available and no operating theatre slots available in resstructured hospitals, how?

Also be warned. I received an email from MOH recently entitled "Means testing". It looks like this will happen sooner or later.

cavaliver
28-02-13, 23:25
http://www.safra.sg/en/Join/SAFRA-Membership/Member-Services/SAFRA-Insurance.aspx#.US9-9VfTLE0

If I m not wrong u have to a safra member to buy the insurance.

chiaberry
28-02-13, 23:35
If I m not wrong u have to a safra member to buy the insurance.

Safra insurance is a TERM insurance. It ends at 70 if I recall correctly. You do need to be a member. You can only get max coverage of 200K for critical illness.

radha08
01-03-13, 03:39

a. drink Tiger with ice
d. burning joss paper

Heh

queing up to buy 4d/toto...:D:D:D

starrynight
01-03-13, 07:15
hahahhaa.. squatting on the coffeeshop chair analysing the horse racing statistics

watching soccer match at coffeeshop and shouting "CCB!" when someone misses a goal

That would make for an interesting community - now that's called integration, PM Lee.. :)

queing up to buy 4d/toto...:D:D:D

starrynight
01-03-13, 07:17
Fully agree - if there is 1 thing you need to buy, it's the hospitalisation cover. Opt out of Medishield one, but get the private one. If you can afford it, get the rider as well.

I'm not an insurance expert, but several people have told me that if you are looking for term insurance, the Avivia SAF policy is actually very cheap for the coverage.

I think you should get a hospitalisation plan to replace Medishield if you haven't already done so. The rider is recommended so that it reduces what you have to pay in cash when hospitalised.

Be warned. A serious illness can suddenly happen out out of the blue. I have a good friend in his later 50s. Was apparently in good health last year. Went on many trips abroad enjoying the good life. Towards the end of the year, felt very tired and lethargic. Found to have a heart condition. Needed to have open heart surgery. I estimate the hospital bills would add up to 100K. The best thing his wife did was to have purchased the Incomeshield preferred plan with rider to cover all the bills. Never underestimate your state of health and never underestimate the cost of medical care. You may think you want to go to restructured hospital under C class but these days there are SO MANY FOREIGN TALENT in restructured hospitals that it is pretty scary. Somemore if you need something done urgently and there are no hospital beds available and no operating theatre slots available in resstructured hospitals, how?

Also be warned. I received an email from MOH recently entitled "Means testing". It looks like this will happen sooner or later.

starrynight
01-03-13, 07:18
They need to hire me for my letter writing skills then :)

RCT
01-03-13, 07:21
A lot of ang mo is staying in HDB now... It is cheaper and location is much better... Why need to stay in condo in which the location is always very remote... I already have a few ang mo neighbor already...

starrynight
01-03-13, 07:21
There are quite a few of them around, but mostly serving the more expensive properties, and they existing primarily to serve westerner clients.

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense:

a. money can be quite good

b. who understands Europeans / Aussies / Americans better than their own nationals? Am sure a French family would prefer having a French agent who can tell them all about the French international school, nearby shops which stock hard-to-find French products, etc. I would do the same thing

c. some of them do this as a natural extension of localisation services for expats.

d. some of them are expat spouses who want to do something productive

Hi all

starrynight
01-03-13, 07:23
Indeed - we have some foreign colleagues on "local plus" packages where any unused housing allowance is kept by them, and they have seriously considering renting HDB flats in places like Tiong Bahru. Makes lots of financial sense if you don't use the facilities, are overseas half the time, etc.

A lot of ang mo is staying in HDB now... It is cheaper and location is much better... Why need to stay in condo in which the location is always very remote... I already have a few ang mo neighbor already...

FamilyGuy72
01-03-13, 09:07
The thing is ang mohs are better with assimilation than ah tiongs.

Jaykj
01-03-13, 10:01
Fully agree - if there is 1 thing you need to buy, it's the hospitalisation cover. Opt out of Medishield one, but get the private one. If you can afford it, get the rider as well.

I'm not an insurance expert, but several people have told me that if you are looking for term insurance, the Avivia SAF policy is actually very cheap for the coverage.

Yeah, recently they increase the coverage to $1mio (previously $600,000) and the premium is really cheap. I'm curious if its safe or not. Open to all SAF and NSmen (ORD/ ROD) also can (I think before 55 years old).....

chiaberry
01-03-13, 10:20
Yeah, recently they increase the coverage to $1mio (previously $600,000) and the premium is really cheap. I'm curious if its safe or not. Open to all SAF and NSmen (ORD/ ROD) also can (I think before 55 years old).....

The 1 mio is only for life. Critical illness coverage on this policy requires a separate rider and is only max 300K.

I reiterate my strong recommendation to upgrade Medishield plan to cover private hospital. Although you may not think you need it, but you never know. When there are 6.9 mio or higher number of people on this small island, can you imagine what the restructured hospitals will be like? At least you have an option to transfer your case to a private hospital if necessary. You can still use the same consultant as the restructured hospital as they are allowed to have private practice outside too. In times of dire medical emergency, having the hospitalisation policy can give you so much peace of mind that you can concentrate on getting the best doctors for you or your loved ones rather than worrying about the medical expenses.

Shanhz
01-03-13, 10:39

many in europe difficult to find job. coming to sgp is nice for many angmos, believe it or not. warm weather, sunny days, safe neighbourhoods, low cost (by europe standards). many are happy to accept local terms. my co employs angmos and many are begging to join our chinaman company.

Shanhz
01-03-13, 10:44
The thing is ang mohs are better with assimilation than ah tiongs.

angmos got SPG mah. can integrate (into each other) very easily. :doh: :doh: :doh:

tiongs think they are economic wonders. everybody lookg up to them.

Shanhz
01-03-13, 10:46
I reiterate my strong recommendation to upgrade Medishield plan to cover private hospital. Although you may not think you need it, but you never know. When there are 6.9 mio or higher number of people on this small island, can you imagine what the restructured hospitals will be like? At least you have an option to transfer your case to a private hospital if necessary. You can still use the same consultant as the restructured hospital as they are allowed to have private practice outside too. In times of dire medical emergency, having the hospitalisation policy can give you so much peace of mind that you can concentrate on getting the best doctors for you or your loved ones rather than worrying about the medical expenses.

ditto this. i am also on this. but got one worry - if i got "record" that i am private patient, in future i scared cannot downgrade to C class.

mcmlxxvi
01-03-13, 10:50

a. drink Tiger with ice
d. burning joss paper

Heh

Why is c. strange. You mean u expect them to feed potato kan tang to them?

starrynight
01-03-13, 11:22
My mental image was them placing the leftover rice on a piece of paper, like some locals do.

I can't imagine many non-Asians doing that. Firstly, if you don't eat rice at home, would you cook rice just for the cats? Secondly, what's wrong with feeding potatos (if that's what your leftovers comprise of)? :)

Why is c. strange. You mean u expect them to feed potato kan tang to them?

Juniper
01-03-13, 11:23
I have been using an american property agent for some years now. I find her more efficient and effective as compared to other local agents which I have used before.

starrynight
01-03-13, 11:31
Yup. And as I understand it, once you are a policyholder, and you pay the premiums dutifully, they cannot decline to cover you in future years.

You don't want to be in a position where you have a claims history and they refuse to cover you.

For me (single, with parents who have enough money), I would buy the Aviva SAF life cover small small, and go big on the critical illness. Aviva info is here (http://www.aviva.com.sg/life-and-health/for-individuals/saf-insurance-for-nsmen.html), and note you can cover your spouse too.

The 1 mio is only for life. Critical illness coverage on this policy requires a separate rider and is only max 300K.

starrynight
01-03-13, 11:39
Mind sharing what sector of the mkt she handles?

I have been using an american property agent for some years now. I find her more efficient and effective as compared to other local agents which I have used before.

Lovelle
01-03-13, 12:41

maybe illegally rented out. call hdb if you want to make enemy

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 13:10
Last time never see expats take MRT - all drive. Now I heard its quite a common sight.

mcmlxxvi
01-03-13, 13:18
My mental image was them placing the leftover rice on a piece of paper, like some locals do.

I can't imagine many non-Asians doing that. Firstly, if you don't eat rice at home, would you cook rice just for the cats? Secondly, what's wrong with feeding potatos (if that's what your leftovers comprise of)? :)

Dear meowmeows are carnivores! They shud be fed meat!

lol

starrynight
01-03-13, 14:40
Ooops! :D

Will get them some nasi lemak fish this weekend... hahaha

Dear meowmeows are carnivores! They shud be fed meat!

lol

pod
01-03-13, 14:47

Theres a HDB hotline for u to 'feedback'. Dun worry, your names suppose to be classified. :D

mcmlxxvi
01-03-13, 15:39
Ooops! :D

Will get them some nasi lemak fish this weekend... hahaha

So kind of u. Meow

sh
01-03-13, 18:43
many in europe difficult to find job. coming to sgp is nice for many angmos, believe it or not. warm weather, sunny days, safe neighbourhoods, low cost (by europe standards). many are happy to accept local terms. my co employs angmos and many are begging to join our chinaman company.

Times are changing... I got an angmoh subordinate... :D

He's staying in a hdb... Ok, a holland village hdb....

teddybear
01-03-13, 21:01
I believe you are talking about "foreign worker", not "expat".......... :doh:

Last time never see expats take MRT - all drive. Now I heard its quite a common sight.

kane
01-03-13, 22:50

have lah. since mid 2000s, they will take the MRT already. more predictable timing of getting to work. only the garang one will dare to ride their tens of thousand dollar bicycle to work in the bumper to bumper car traffic.

starrynight
02-03-13, 08:14
Yup, and a lot of those living in River Valley and Caribbean take the bus to work. You should see the bus stop opposite Caribbean at 0745 on a weekday - ratio of westerners to Asians is around 5:1.

have lah. since mid 2000s, they will take the MRT already. more predictable timing of getting to work. only the garang one will dare to ride their tens of thousand dollar bicycle to work in the bumper to bumper car traffic.

RCT
02-03-13, 08:47

Yesterday I just receive calls from ang mo to ask me to buy insurance...

kane
02-03-13, 09:20
Yup, and a lot of those living in River Valley and Caribbean take the bus to work. You should see the bus stop opposite Caribbean at 0745 on a weekday - ratio of westerners to Asians is around 5:1.

when they train reaches orchard, there are more westerners getting on the train. Orchard, Somerset, Dhoby Ghaut.

mcmlxxvi
02-03-13, 10:35
I see angmos walking home late at night after all shops close in Bedok.

oOften see angmos shopping in Bedok ntuc n scrutinizing labels and prices carefully.

phantom_opera
02-03-13, 14:24
b4 Lehman angmohs especially wall street are god of gamblers after that they become money printing entitlement addicts, the far sighted one like Jim Rogers already shift to Asia