PDA

View Full Version : Ponzi Demography

bakasa2002
22-02-13, 14:41
Not sure if this is shared before but it is an interesting read ...

Source - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-14/ponzi-schemes-built-on-people-always-crash-too.html

Singapore’s Population Bubble

By William Pesek (http://www.bloomberg.com/view/bios/william-pesek/) Feb 15, 2013 6:00 AM GMT+0800

Singaporeans (http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/SGDYTY:IND) are raring to do something extraordinary: protest.
That might not seem like a big deal with the Arab Spring uprisings; Chinese journalists taking to the streets; and thousands of typically docile Japanese rallying against government policies. But tropical Singapore is the land of quiet brooding, where mass street demonstrations are as common as snowstorms.

What has people so riled up? Well, people. The impetus for the Feb. 16 march (https://www.facebook.com/saynotooverpopulatedsingapore?fref=ts) is a report that the tiny island’s population may rise by as much as 30 percent to 6.9 million by 2030. This seems to be the government’s answer to the question of how to sustain prosperity in one of the most crowded and expensive cities in the world.
The signs of overcrowding and urban stress are palpable to any visitor. Prices are surging, public services in a nation famed for nanny-state tendencies are slipping and some of the finest infrastructure anywhere is buckling under the strain. Locals blame the influx of immigrants, which Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Lee%20Hsien%20Loong&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1&partialfields=-wnnis:NOAVSYND&lr=-lang_ja)’s ruling party touts as one key to Singapore’s success in the years to come.
The city-state, with about half the area of New York City, has 3.3 million citizens and 2 million foreign residents, many of whom have contributed greatly to Singapore’s growth in finance and construction. Yet complaints that overseas workers deprive locals of jobs and drive up housing prices fill the air. Singapore is the third-most-expensive Asian city and ranks as the sixth most costly in the world, according to an Economist Intelligence Unit ranking of 131 cities.
Case Study

Singapore may well serve as a case study for what happens when leaders try to offset slowing economic growth with immigration and increased birth rates. There are lessons that Japan or Italy would do well to study. All of it is turning into a political liability for Lee, the son of Lee Kuan Yew (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Lee%20Kuan%20Yew&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1&partialfields=-wnnis:NOAVSYND&lr=-lang_ja), who is regarded as the father of modern Singapore.
The erosion in his party’s popularity is accelerating after the release Jan. 29 of a white paper that contained the 6.9 million figure, which it calls a projection, not a goal. Lee Hsien Loong has since said the number of people will be “significantly” lower than the report suggests. Will Singaporeans buy that?
“The new population policy is anti-Singaporean and it threatens our existence and livelihoods,” says Gilbert Goh (http://www.transitioning.org/author/gilbert-goh/), 51, an advocate for unemployed citizens and an organizer of a protest planned for this week.
Sadly, some of the rants one reads in the media and online veer toward xenophobia. If Singaporeans are so livid, they should stop supporting Lee’s party. After all, isn’t the government, by seeking to import more human capital, telling its own people that they lack the skills to compete? Anyone who doubts Singapore is serious only has to look at accelerating efforts to reclaim land from the sea for development, giving the city the room for population growth.
The real question, as public angst rises, is whether the opposition is justified. Former United Nations demographer Joseph Chamie (http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/coping-world-population-boom-and-bust-%E2%80%93-part-ii) says it is. To Chamie, the view that it’s almost always better to have more and more people is the human equivalent of what Bernard Madoff (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Bernard%20Madoff&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1&partialfields=-wnnis:NOAVSYND&lr=-lang_ja) did with money, something he calls “Ponzi demography.”
The human-pyramid scheme works like this: Population growth, either through births or immigration, boosts demand for goods and services, increases borrowing, boosts tax revenue and adds to corporate profits. Everything seems grand and leaders take a bow. It’s a bubble, though, and it eventually bursts when population growth stalls. Incomes (http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/SIQUTOTA:IND) top out, high debt crushes consumption and investment, the need for public assistance rises, environmental degradation increases and angry people take to the streets.
Public Pays

As households are left to pick up the tab once Ponzi demography runs its course, government leaders issue dire warnings about economic decline if the flow of fresh talent stops. This will sound familiar to Singaporeans as Lee’s People’s Action Party sketches out a dystopian future without adding wealthy bankers and low-income workers to the nation’s ranks.
Singapore needs to find another way. The era of easy growth is over. Just as economies such as Japan and South Korea are seeing the limits of their export-led models, Singapore’s formula has run its course. Raising the productivity of its current workforce would be more potent for a developed, open economy looking to compete in a region dominated by the cheap labor and manufacturing of China and India. Singapore should focus as much energy on incentives for its existing residents to innovate and start new businesses as on adding more bodies.
Not only is Singapore toying with liberalized immigration, it’s also revving up a campaign to persuade Singaporeans to wed younger and reproduce. It is an odd push for Lee. Four decades ago, concern about overpopulation prompted his father to urge a delay in nuptials and to have smaller families. Today, amid a birthrate of about 1.3 children per woman, efforts to encourage bigger families border on the offensive. Just check a new website, “Hey Baby (http://www.heybaby.sg/).”
Singapore’s addiction to population growth sends a simple and disconcerting message: The country has run out of ideas to increase economic vitality, aside from encouraging people to procreate or immigrate. Ponzi demography, indeed.
(William Pesek (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=William%20Pesek&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1&partialfields=-wnnis:NOAVSYND&lr=-lang_ja) is a Bloomberg View columnist. The opinions expressed are his own.)
To contact the writer of this article: William Pesek (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=William%20Pesek&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1&partialfields=-wnnis:NOAVSYND&lr=-lang_ja) in Singapore at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this article: James Greiff at [email protected]

eng81157
22-02-13, 15:01
he just stopped short of saying that the HDB system is ma chiam like a ponzi scheme too

indomie
22-02-13, 15:06
What is not ponzi nowadays? Gov is ponzi, church is ponzi, school is ponzi, real estate is ponzi, coe is ponzi, shares is ponzi, bond is ponzi, gold is ponzi. As long u collect money from the mass, u can be called ponzi.

eng81157
22-02-13, 15:10
What is not ponzi nowadays? Gov is ponzi, church is ponzi, school is ponzi, real estate is ponzi, coe is ponzi, shares is ponzi, bond is ponzi, gold is ponzi. As long u collect money from the mass, u can be called ponzi.

school and church are ponzi? that's new. ponzi involves some bursting of bubbles, with the fraud being unsustainable in the long run

phantom_opera
22-02-13, 15:18
it is not so simple lah, let's look at the following, assuming a certain PMET job:

- Singaporeans is good at both English and Chinese salary highest
- Malaysians normally are also good at both English / Chinese ... salary very close to SC (SPR normally)

however, there may be certain jobs that u only need to be good at English (hire Pinoy) or Chinese (hire mainland Chinese) and pay them lower but get the job done ... the issue is after these ppl work for a long time, whether you allow them to become SPRs or SCs (and enjoy privileges like buy resale HDB, BTOs) and whether our infra can accommodate them and make SCs feeling comfortable

so I don't think the claim that foreigners take away Singaporeans jobs are true and the entire thing is simply Ponzi ... but it is true that availability of foreigners limit wage inflation and thus lower business cost

eng81157
22-02-13, 15:36
however, there may be certain jobs that u only need to be good at English (hire Pinoy) or Chinese (hire mainland Chinese) and pay them lower but get the job done ... the issue is after these ppl work for a long time, whether you allow them to become SPRs or SCs (and enjoy privileges like buy resale HDB, BTOs) and whether our infra can accommodate them and make SCs feeling comfortable

let's zone in on this and superimpose your statements onto Japan.

there are truckloads of PRCs working there and you never know they originate from China cos' they look like Japs, speak like Japs, behave like Japs - i.e. they adapt to the local culture. apart from the recent inter-country political row, Japanese never had to deal with anti-foreigner issues. its culture and social identity are sufficiently strong in making immigrants conform.

coming to singapore, we don't see the extent of integration of foreigners into our society and thus, sow the seeds of discomfort. are we doing enough to integrate them? do we, as a people, have a anchored identity that forces conformity?

eng81157
22-02-13, 15:37

by the way, i still want to be able to order my nasi padang in bahasa melayu. even PRCs are manning nasi padang stalls in food court.:simmering: :simmering:

sherlock
22-02-13, 15:50
You forgot the big one...CPF :p

minority
22-02-13, 16:03
by the way, i still want to be able to order my nasi padang in bahasa melayu. even PRCs are manning nasi padang stalls in food court.:simmering: :simmering:

so shallow. the boss are singaporean. the workers are PRC means they take away singaporean job?

I guess u hoping ur kids are manning the stall selling nasi padang or char kay tiao. Maybe u prefer them to wipe the table for me?

I think thats a cool idea.

minority
22-02-13, 16:05

then insurance also ponzi scheme too! So are investments ! so are shares! wow suddenly everything also ponzi liao.

:scared-5: :scared-5:

minority
22-02-13, 16:06
Maybe the world is a ponzi! coz all the $$ printing going on. how????

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

phantom_opera
22-02-13, 16:38

CPF is not Ponzi if inflation average 2% per year ... CPF is Ponzi if inflation > 4%

roly8
22-02-13, 16:40
actually, i want to post an article about using population growth as a ponzi scheme..

since baksa started this...

i will share the following article:

Is Population Growth a Ponzi Scheme?
http://www.theglobalist.com/storyid.aspx?StoryId=8321

indomie
22-02-13, 18:19
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P7Z5I1j0yV4/TnN6jAnfRhI/AAAAAAAAA1w/VlvTzCU0Vs8/s1600/ponzi%2Bscheme.jpg

Rosy
23-02-13, 13:32
Ponzi theory will always exist when there are rich/poor and powerful/weak.

minority
23-02-13, 15:21
So insurance also ponzi.

Gambling also ponzi

Wah like that c mee also ponzi.

eng81157
25-02-13, 08:04
so shallow. the boss are singaporean. the workers are PRC means they take away singaporean job?

I guess u hoping ur kids are manning the stall selling nasi padang or char kay tiao. Maybe u prefer them to wipe the table for me?

I think thats a cool idea.

it's about being able to call "sayur lodeh" a "sayur lodeh" or a "tempeh" a "tempeh"; not "sayur lodeh" as curry cai or "tempeh" as fa xiao huang dou bing

and please, i don't even want you, a scrambled brained loose cannon, wiping my tables.

eng81157
25-02-13, 08:05
So insurance also ponzi.

Gambling also ponzi

Wah like that c mee also ponzi.

hared-brains are also like ponzi - take out more logic and intellect than deposited

minority
25-02-13, 08:11
hared-brains are also like ponzi - take out more logic and intellect than deposited

woodhead are the key ingredient to believe in ponzi. Precisely your point no intellect.

minority
25-02-13, 08:13
it's about being able to call "sayur lodeh" a "sayur lodeh" or a "tempeh" a "tempeh"; not "sayur lodeh" as curry cai or "tempeh" as fa xiao huang dou bing

and please, i don't even want you, a scrambled brained loose cannon, wiping my tables.

I would luv folks like u who scream Singaporean for singaporean to wipe my table! like u! wash my car, and clean my rubbish!

great! right? isnt this the sprit! u want to see singaporean do have work mah! common move ur lazy ass and come wipe the bird shit off my wind screen!

I will pay u min wage.

BTW I need another maid. I want to give singaporean a chance. any of ur kids want to take up the job? simple stuff clean my house , and pick up my dog shit.

:D :D :D :D

eng81157
25-02-13, 13:55
I would luv folks like u who scream Singaporean for singaporean to wipe my table! like u! wash my car, and clean my rubbish!

great! right? isnt this the sprit! u want to see singaporean do have work mah! common move ur lazy ass and come wipe the bird shit off my wind screen!

I will pay u min wage.

BTW I need another maid. I want to give singaporean a chance. any of ur kids want to take up the job? simple stuff clean my house , and pick up my dog shit.

:D :D :D :D

eh moron, who is saying we must have singaporeans do cleaning job? sigh, can you even manage a primary school composition that is coherent?

in any case, foodcourt operators can always hire indon FTs to man nasi padang stalls, instead of PRCs that cannot speak bahasa melayu.

"There is simply no medicine for stupidity" - Sir A.W.

minority
25-02-13, 14:10
eh moron, who is saying we must have singaporeans do cleaning job? sigh, can you even manage a primary school composition that is coherent?

in any case, foodcourt operators can always hire indon FTs to man nasi padang stalls, instead of PRCs that cannot speak bahasa melayu.

"There is simply no medicine for stupidity" - Sir A.W.

flip n flops . U are the no.1 wood head that can flip n flop at a wink. Even without a brain without memiry do try At least be consistent with ur jiberrish .

eng81157
25-02-13, 14:25
flip n flops . U are the no.1 wood head that can flip n flop at a wink. Even without a brain without memiry do try At least be consistent with ur jiberrish .

WAHAHAHAHAHA

"MEMIRY"

thanks for making my day again, in spite of your inability to string a coherent statement.

minority
25-02-13, 16:27
WAHAHAHAHAHA

"MEMIRY"

thanks for making my day again, in spite of your inability to string a coherent statement.

Thanks!!! That's all u are good for spell checking? Now we know which wood head to go to for spell check!

eng81157
26-02-13, 08:41
Thanks!!! That's all u are good for spell checking? Now we know which wood head to go to for spell check!

WAHAHAHA, that's you i guess, since you have demonstrated an attrocious inept in spelling and logic processing.

"MEMIRY"
"BRIAN"
and the best of all
"MONUMENT"

thanks for making my day again

minority
26-02-13, 13:25
WAHAHAHA, that's you i guess, since you have demonstrated an attrocious inept in spelling and logic processing.

"MEMIRY"
"BRIAN"
and the best of all
"MONUMENT"

thanks for making my day again

yes u are such a spell checker. good for u coz thats all u are good at.