PDA

View Full Version : Corrinne May, Singaporean, sings the US National Anthem at NBA game

rymccondo77
14-02-13, 16:50
From Corrinne May's Facebook Posting :

I had a lovely time performing the Star-Spangled Banner at the LA Clippers vs. Houston Rockets game this evening as part of their Chinese New Year celebrations. Thank God I didn't forget the lyrics! Thanks again to Rob Strikwerda for inviting me to sing tonight and to the NBA game host for letting me share about Chinese New Year and about life in Singapore and life in L.A during the interview segment. Felt like a music ambassador of sorts :)

Here's a video taken by one of my fans. Thank goodness she taped it because Kavin could not get a good view as he was blocked by the people in the front row. :) I'll be getting another version of it from the LA Clippers in a week, but for now, here's how it went. :)

==============================================
Link to the video (hope it works):

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?v=531265205389&set=vb.227800462&type=2&theater

Americans getting a Singaporean to sing their National Anthem in a NBA game as part of the Chinese New Year Celebrations in Los Angeles.

Just wondering what would be Singaporeans' reactions if a foreigner was selected to sing Singapore's National Anthem in a similar event.

bargain hunter
14-02-13, 18:06
Taiwan's Christine Fan did the same. i really find it puzzling why singers want to do that and why americans welcome it.

I had a lovely time performing the Star-Spangled Banner at the LA Clippers vs. Houston Rockets game this evening as part of their Chinese New Year celebrations. Thank God I didn't forget the lyrics! Thanks again to Rob Strikwerda for inviting me to sing tonight and to the NBA game host for letting me share about Chinese New Year and about life in Singapore and life in L.A during the interview segment. Felt like a music ambassador of sorts :)

Here's a video taken by one of my fans. Thank goodness she taped it because Kavin could not get a good view as he was blocked by the people in the front row. :) I'll be getting another version of it from the LA Clippers in a week, but for now, here's how it went. :)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?v=531265205389&set=vb.227800462&type=2&theater

Americans getting a Singaporean to sing their National Anthem in a NBA game as part of the Chinese New Year Celebrations in Los Angeles.

Just wondering what would be Singaporeans' reactions if a foreigner was selected to sing Singapore's National Anthem in a similar event.

radha08
14-02-13, 18:34
Taiwan's Christine Fan did the same. i really find it puzzling why singers want to do that and why americans welcome it.

$$$$$$$$:D:D:D

fiat500
15-02-13, 05:58
What's the big deal anyway? I find Americans are easy going people, don't think they are so petty over all these.. :rolleyes:

Rysk
15-02-13, 07:15
What's the big deal anyway? I find Americans are easy going people, don't think they are so petty over all these.. :rolleyes:

As long as you don't mind to sing.. think they are welcome.. as they are easy going ppl
Unlike some country ppl.. oppose strongly to Valentine's Day & Christmas Day, etc to be celebrated in their country..

mcmlxxvi
15-02-13, 09:56
Corrinne May, Singaporean hailing from a country with archaic unconstitutional law 377A, sings the US National Anthem at NBA game.

rymccondo77
15-02-13, 12:28
Singapore is known for other things too - both good and bad - no nation is perfect.

babyt
15-02-13, 14:13
its just a singer singing a song nevermind what kind lor.

just like Malay can sing CNY song if they can and want.

hyenergix
15-02-13, 14:55

Nothing wrong with that. She is a singer afterall. What if a Singaporean happens to eat KFC originated from US :p

eng81157
15-02-13, 14:58
let's reverse this and put it into our context.

what would happen if a PRC was invited to sing the national anthem at NDP? All hell will break loose

fiat500
15-02-13, 15:22

what would happen if a PRC was invited to sing the national anthem at NDP? All hell will break loose
What's wrong? If that person can sing it well, why not?
I wouldn't mind for sure... :D

Let's not get uptight over such issues!

eng81157
15-02-13, 15:26
What's wrong? If that person can sing it well, why not?
I wouldn't mind for sure... :D

i am sure you wouldn't mind, but the general public........just look at the controversies surrounding singapore's women table tennis team

minority
15-02-13, 20:46

coz many narrow minded folks ard. that cant see more than 4" of their face these days?

zzz1
16-02-13, 14:23
i am sure you wouldn't mind, but the general public........just look at the controversies surrounding singapore's women table tennis team
The general public or unique Singaporean whom likes to whines. How many sg parent will put their kids and start training table tennis at the age of 5 , maybe 6.? And train almost like a regular working hrs every day?

I don think we can ever produce any talent , even have will be one or two exception . Is the hard work that produce .

We are not there yet, in term of gracefulness , to embrace and accept ft in general.

rymccondo77
16-02-13, 18:22
The general public or unique Singaporean whom likes to whines. How many sg parent will put their kids and start training table tennis at the age of 5 , maybe 6.? And train almost like a regular working hrs every day?

I don think we can ever produce any talent , even have will be one or two exception . Is the hard work that produce .

We are not there yet, in term of gracefulness , to embrace and accept ft in general.

You reminded me of what Malcom Gladwell claims in his book "Outliers" about the "10,000-Hour Rule" - to be great at anything, you need to put in the time to practice and practice.

COS
17-02-13, 17:42
Music has no boundaries. :)