PDA

View Full Version : Affordable folding bike recommendation

CondoWE
12-02-13, 20:38
Hi,

Can anyone recommend good and cheap foldable bike in Singapore/West :rolleyes: ?

No need atas brand as I'm using it for weekend cycling at the park with my family as part of family bonding and beside that I need more execise as adviced by the doctor too :doh: !

All advice and recommendation are welcome.

Budget <SGD 300/bike
No of bike needed - 2~4

roly8
12-02-13, 20:44
Hi,

Can anyone recommend good and cheap foldable bike in Singapore/West :rolleyes: ?

No need atas brand as I'm using it for weekend cycling at the park with my family as part of family bonding and beside that I need more execise as adviced by the doctor too :doh: !

Budget <SGD 300/bike
No of bike needed - 2~4

i would advice you to jog and swim instead.

:47:

Tek888
12-02-13, 20:54
Hi,

Budget <SGD 300/bike
No of bike needed - 2~4

I took up biking a couple of years ago as an alternative to jogging. Started off with cheap 20" aleoca foldie but regretted after several rounds at the PCNs. Aleoca foldies are heavy and required a lot more effort to pedal. So it took away quite a bit of fun from riding.

My suggestion is to get a decent foldie like Dahon. If you do not want to spend too much you could pick up a used one at Togoparts. It's an online biking forum with a lot of used bikes on sale at their Marketplace section.

Personally I took over a used foldie from a friend. It's a 20" Hasa F1. Though not branded, it's very light and easy to ride.

Good luck on your bike hunting!

kane
12-02-13, 21:00
tern's pretty decent as well. the designers were from dahon.

CondoWE
12-02-13, 21:04
i would advice you to jog and swim instead.

:47:

yap..I have already started to jog 4x a week since early Jan but my wife lazy to jog so thought of buying each of our family member a bike so that we can cycle together as a form of execise hor..:D !

Tek888
12-02-13, 21:09
tern's pretty decent as well. the designers were from dahon.

Yup Tern and Dahon bikes are very similar.

Tern is breakaway faction from Dahon. I remember reading somewhere that there were some disagreement between Dahon towkay David Hon and the breakaway faction Hon's wife and sons. Which explains the similarities in their designs

CondoWE
12-02-13, 21:09
I took up biking a couple of years ago as an alternative to jogging. Started off with cheap 20" aleoca foldie but regretted after several rounds at the PCNs. Aleoca foldies are heavy and required a lot more effort to pedal. So it took away quite a bit of fun from riding.

My suggestion is to get a decent foldie like Dahon. If you do not want to spend too much you could pick up a used one at Togoparts. It's an online biking forum with a lot of used bikes on sale at their Marketplace section.

Personally I took over a used foldie from a friend. It's a 20" Hasa F1. Though not branded, it's very light and easy to ride.

Good luck on your bike hunting!

Dahon is atas brand leh...and I will broke if I buy 4 leh...:scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: !!!

Byway, Hasa is one of shortlisted bike. Beside Hasa, I'm looking at step Dragon SS1/SS3(Taiwan) or Kalaq Q5(USA).

Any comments?

CondoWE
12-02-13, 21:11

Tern is breakaway faction from Dahon. I remember reading somewhere that there were some disagreement between Dahon towkay David Hon and the breakaway faction Hon's wife and sons. Which explains the similarities in their designs

Price for both are similar too...:rolleyes: !

CondoWE
12-02-13, 21:17

Dahon and Tern (http://www.togoparts.com/articles/news.php?artid=2049)..

Tern bicycles: A New Beginning

On 18 June, the world media, bicycle distributors and manufacturers are invited to Taipei for the launch of Tern bicycles. This is a new brand conceptualized by the Dahon Global team. While the brand might be new, the people behind it are not. Led by Florence and Josh Hon, this is the essentially the same team that used to fly the Dahon flag. Together with staff strength of 65, the team has worked exceptionally hard to materialize the brand from concept to reality within a short span of 8 months. After facing some issues with the Chinese factory which holds the Dahon trademark in some countries, Josh and team did extensive soul searching and thought that it would be best to start of in a clean state.

Why Tern? Tern is actually named after a small migratory bird that flies more than 22,000km for each migration, one of the longest. The name is perfect for the new start up as it symbolizes the agility and portability of their bicycles that are built to move people around the globe. The word, having the same pronunciation as "turn", also symbolizes the company's bold turn to venture into unchartered waters so as to stay true to their vision.

The company will continue to focus on bicycles for urban transportation and strive to produce bicycles that handles better, are more comfortable, durable and portable. During the launch, the complete 2012 lineup was shown, which comprised of 21 different models, utilizing 5 unique frame designs. Their price will range from US$400 to US$3,500. Tern will also be releasing custom accessories so owners can soup up their ride in accordance to their likings. First shipment to distributors can be expected from September 2011. Till date, there are already confirm orders from 35 worldwide distributors, including Singapore.

kane
12-02-13, 21:20
so go for the tern, entry levels for that and dahon aren't that insanely expensive.

Regulators
12-02-13, 21:21
the cheapest in the market is aleoca, costing $99-$1xx. only problem is the bicycle rims not very good, to enjoy the bicycle, you have to be less than 80kg.

CondoWE
12-02-13, 21:31
the cheapest in the market is aleoca, costing $99-$1xx. only problem is the bicycle rims not very good, to enjoy the bicycle, you have to be less than 80kg.

yalor...saw them sold at NTUC and Giants and it's damn cheap but hor...heard aleoca is local brand and many non-positive comments after googled , one of them is rusty after a few months usage leh..:doh:

Regulators
12-02-13, 21:34
I have one in the boot of my car, so far so good. I am on the heavy side so must ride carefully, otherwise the rim might crack.if you are light, should have no problem.
yalor...saw them sold at NTUC and Giants and it's damn cheap but hor...heard aleoca is local brand and many non-positive comments after googled , one of them is rusty after a few months usage leh..:doh:

roly8
13-02-13, 06:26
yap..I have already started to jog 4x a week since early Jan but my wife lazy to jog so thought of buying each of our family member a bike so that we can cycle together as a form of execise hor..:D !

this differentiate between a successful & unsuccessful people in any sector of our life .. eg. career, health, financial :)
:D:D

she should take little step .. and do your part to encourage & be her supporter.. maybe lure her with LV bag at the end of the 3 months exercise? something she like.. :D
:tongue3:

solsys
13-02-13, 06:45
Quite nice to see an interesting topic... other than property

triple70
13-02-13, 07:16
I am using 3 dahon Curve D3 for my family, and we often go cycling at the various parks. Can fit 3 folding and 1 kids bike into the MPV without the use of bicycle rack.

Did tons of reseach on this topic.. and now looking for 1 more for my youngest kid who is not outgrowing his kids bike. Till now, I still think Dahon is the way to go.

Aleoca.. their folding mechanism wobbles, does not give that rigid feeling. Also, my bikes are always folded, Aleoca folding mechanism does not seem to be designed for regular folding/unfolding.

Curve D3 is 16 inch. Folded size is very small which is great for fitting a few into a MPV. The length of the bike is also short, which is good for carrying up steps and entering into lifts. Does not feel bulky at all. D3 also has fat wheels, which is great if have to cycle over grass.

My only issue is the local price, which I understand from the other bike forums.. can get it 25% cheaper if bought in Taiwan.

Meanwhile. still looking for a cheaper 16 inch alternative.

CondoWE
13-02-13, 07:45
I have one in the boot of my car, so far so good. I am on the heavy side so must ride carefully, otherwise the rim might crack.if you are light, should have no problem.

Me too...80++ kg :banghead: .

this differentiate between a successful & unsuccessful people in any sector of our life .. eg. career, health, financial :)
:D:D

she should take little step .. and do your part to encourage & be her supporter.. maybe lure her with LV bag at the end of the 3 months exercise? something she like.. :D
:tongue3:

seow liao...my wife love properties than atas bag, watch, jewelleries...:doh: :doh: :doh: !

babyt
13-02-13, 09:37
i have an Aleoca foldable 20". I brought at their regular sales for only $89 bucks!.

It rusts easily and the ride quality is not smooth but its ok if u intend to use it for commuting to market and park there without fear of being stolen. Because it rust easily, i dont recommend u to fold and unfold it many times because the components are flimsy. I cycle it to swimming complex and park there, can hear vibration sound when riding on uneven road lol.

To me, Tern or Dahon has entry level foldable costing about 500-600 bucks. go for them if u want a fuss free folding, no rust bike. i can tell u, although aleoca is cheap, u do not like the process of folding n unfolding it cos of the rust and flimsy components.

I have a fren who is 183cm tall and weight more than 80kg. he cycle on aleoca 20" foldable without problem and he is happy w it. To him, he is just a leisure cyclist who just wants a bike to cycle and isnt acknowledgable about bike stuff n brands.

Tek888
13-02-13, 10:02
Dahon is atas brand leh...and I will broke if I buy 4 leh...:scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: !!!

Byway, Hasa is one of shortlisted bike. Beside Hasa, I'm looking at step Dragon SS1/SS3(Taiwan) or Kalaq Q5(USA).

Any comments?

Hasa has aluminium frame so is very light and easy to ride. Not sure about the rest.

You can also take a look at Raleigh. Should be in the price range that you are looking.

Tek888
13-02-13, 10:03
I also bought an Aleoca for ~$80 during a special promo. After riding it for a few months my only comment is I will never get this brand again.:scared-5:

bigbertha
13-02-13, 10:25
I came across this article some time back ... for your reading pleasure :D

http://handsonbike.blogspot.sg/2011/11/cheap-bikes-vs-premium-bikes-what-is.html

babyt
13-02-13, 10:52
I also bought an Aleoca for ~$80 during a special promo. After riding it for a few months my only comment is I will never get this brand again.:scared-5:

yeah i wont get this brand again but if i still need a regular bike to communting around neighbourhood n park without worrying, i will still buy their cheapest one. :D

im looking at Strida as my next foldable. looks more compact.

currently i also own a Giant hybrid bike for long distance cycling.

Tek888
13-02-13, 12:34
yeah i wont get this brand again but if i still need a regular bike to communting around neighbourhood n park without worrying, i will still buy their cheapest one. :D

yup Stridas look cool and compact.

Go test ride it and see if you like the sitting position. It's slightly different from conventional bikes. With the triangular frame, taller riders tend to adjust the seat further away from the handle but this also means he has to sit lower as well....having to bend his knees more when riding. This is the opposite from conventional bikes.

CondoWE
13-02-13, 15:27

Strida frame design too advance for old man like me liao... :eek: ! I still prefer more towards traditional frame bike..:D .

eng81157
13-02-13, 15:38
aiyah, no need to look further - KenoBiWan has already pronounced Brompton to be the best value for money liao

:D :D he probably thinks it transforms into an X-wing fighter

Instinctloh
10-04-13, 08:52
Folks,

I'm looking for a foldable bike as a means of bonding with my family. Am wondering if this is a recommended bike to go for:

Kalaq q5 folding bike.

In terms of budget it can meet mine as I need to get x3 sets.

I understand that what u pay for is what u get that's why if this is really not worth to consider will drop the idea and maybe re-look into other aspects and save that few hundreds.

Any other recommendations beside tern and Dahon as even a 2nd hand one cost more than $400 per bike.

Thks

teddybear
10-04-13, 20:45
Dahon and Oyama are the best bets for the mid-price category (other than brompton)... :ashamed1:
They are already good enough for that kind of price, don't need brompton...
You can get rust-free frame, light weight (<=13kg), 5-gears, ... :cheers3:

Folks,

I'm looking for a foldable bike as a means of bonding with my family. Am wondering if this is a recommended bike to go for:

Kalaq q5 folding bike.

In terms of budget it can meet mine as I need to get x3 sets.

I understand that what u pay for is what u get that's why if this is really not worth to consider will drop the idea and maybe re-look into other aspects and save that few hundreds.

Any other recommendations beside tern and Dahon as even a 2nd hand one cost more than $400 per bike.

Thks

minority
10-04-13, 21:08
try Montague paratrooper ? or the cheong version call RANGER. full size fordable mountain bike. The Montague is use by the USMC. jump out of plane with it. So its sturdy. but price also very sturdy.

The cheong version is 1/3 the price.

minority
10-04-13, 21:13
http://www.diginexx.com/DIGINEXX/home.html

check this shop out. many choices