PDA

View Full Version : What's beautiful about Singapore

COS
12-02-13, 18:46
We hear people complaining this and that living in this small island. Can we pause for a moment and think about the good stuff in Singapore? Something we took for granted growing up here.

Let me start, we are almost independent on water supply and has constant clean water from our tap.

Please talk about the good stuff only, we heard the bad ones for the longest time liao. I think people who travel often will have more to say.

rymccondo77
12-02-13, 18:55
A Beautiful Place to visit in Singapore => Garden by the Bay :)

A Beautiful Pizza to eat in Singapore => 21 Inch Suprema Pizza at Peperoni Pizzeria :D

buttercarp
12-02-13, 18:57
We have one of the world's lowest infant mortality rate.
We have one of the world's best education system.
We have one of the world's best public housing.
We have world class land transport system.
We have world class health care facilities.
We have one of the world's lowest crime rate.
We have a clean, green and healthy environment to live in.

Oh how blessed I feel to be a Singaporean!

hyenergix
12-02-13, 19:01
It is beautiful, but e beauty is fading.

rymccondo77
12-02-13, 19:02
We have one of the world's lowest infant mortality rate.
We have one of the world's best education system.
We have one of the world's best public housing.
We have world class land transport system.
We have world class health care facilities.
We have one of the world's lowest crime rate.
We have a clean, green and healthy environment to live in.

Oh how blessed I feel to be a Singaporean!

Its easy to overlook the many blessings that Singaporeans (still) enjoy in Singapore.

Just celebrated CNY with my 90 plus year old Grandma - another blessing :)

azeoprop
12-02-13, 19:03
Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee!! :p

buttercarp
12-02-13, 19:05

It is not fading......
It is blooming.
Maybe we are just not ready for it to bloom differently.

rymccondo77
12-02-13, 19:05

Like SIA's Singapore Girl ?

azeoprop
12-02-13, 19:09
http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/

:o

buttercarp
12-02-13, 19:13
http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/

Thanks azeo.... it is so nostalgic!

In 20- 30 years' time, this moment will also be nostalgic.

Treasure every moment we have now! :cheers4:

Allthepies
12-02-13, 19:17
It is a land of many opportunities. Regardless of which social level you are borned in, if you seize opportunities you can move up!

Arcachon
12-02-13, 19:27
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=13324

ysyap
12-02-13, 19:35
Singlish is beautiful.
Kiasuism is uniquely us.
A clean street with trees along expressway is welcoming.
A centralized eating place like food court is simply wow..
Most importantly, our family and friends are here which make this place amazing.
:cheers4:

COS
12-02-13, 19:38
We have sheltered walkways from HDB flats to flats and some walkway linking to markets and hawker centre. No need to bring umbrella on a rainy day if buying stuff

Lovelle
12-02-13, 19:47
Yea, let's make Singapore a better and even better place to be in future.

Stop all the bickering and start today and start with condosingapore forummer and make this place for a better future

sherlock
12-02-13, 19:51
The feeling of safety on the streets is most important. Comparing to our neighbouring country where mugging is a almost daily occurance I felt blessed that our police is doing a great job!

ysyap
12-02-13, 19:53
The feeling of safety on the streets is most important. Comparing to our neighbouring country where mugging is a almost daily occurance I felt blessed that our police is doing a great job!Oh yes agreed. It started way back in the 60s when the red car was prowling the streets of Singapore. :47:

rymccondo77
12-02-13, 19:59
Yea, let's make Singapore a better and even better place to be in future.

Stop all the bickering and start today and start with condosingapore forummer and make this place for a better future

I have learnt a few things from forummers who have opposing views :)

lajia
12-02-13, 20:40
you are rite, in fact we are getting better, just that ppl's view changes and take things for granted which resulted in all these negative emotions...:o :2cents:

It is not fading......
It is blooming.
Maybe we are just not ready for it to bloom differently.

roly8
12-02-13, 20:40
got internet for me.. :o

Kelonguni
12-02-13, 21:59
Our shared experiences in NS, Malaysia Cup, queuing for Toto and coffeeshop lingo, these are the most beautiful for me. They make me feel at ease and at home.

propertyhans
13-02-13, 00:19
We have almost close to zero beggars on the streets. HDB or private ppty are always repainted...relative to hongkong ours is so so much cleaner....aesthetics wise, singapore is just beautiful in so many ways. Really appreciate that every time I come back sg.

And lastly, to quote what jim rogers have to say on why he shifted his family here, simply because in sg "everything works"! From education to healthcare to business to transport and the nitty gritty things....etc etc etc.

phantom_opera
13-02-13, 08:08
how very true lol ... rushing into problems indeed :-)

Singapore being beautiful?? I think it is the meritocracy and pragmatism ... however it is a double edge sword ... extreme pragmatism can be brutal, cold blooded and no mercy

http://remembersingapore.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/teenage-marriage-means-rushing-into-problems-a-happy-marriage-is-worth-waiting-for-1978.jpg

leesg123
13-02-13, 08:39
meritocracy works for quite a number of us in this forum. we are not born with silver spoon, often 5-6 family members cramped in 3rm hdb flat when growing up. but through sheer hardwork, cruise through university, landed a job and work hard with a couple of job hop. build up capital, made a first foray into hdb upon marriage and upgrade from there.
how very true lol ... rushing into problems indeed :-)

Singapore being beautiful?? I think it is the meritocracy and pragmatism ... however it is a double edge sword ... extreme pragmatism can be brutal, cold blooded and no mercy

http://remembersingapore.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/teenage-marriage-means-rushing-into-problems-a-happy-marriage-is-worth-waiting-for-1978.jpg

Allthepies
13-02-13, 08:45
Our city is well maintained with buildings repainted every ~7 years:D

eng81157
13-02-13, 08:50
Our city is well maintained with buildings repainted every ~7 years:D

with public monies, if i may add

phantom_opera
13-02-13, 08:57
this is a good example how extreme pragmatism or meritocracy could lead to brutality ... do u prefer (1) or (2)?? :p

1. Mr Teo read it many times but did not find anything wrong with white paper citing nursing being lowly skilled until he was alerted much later ..

2. He never read

============================
SINGAPORE - Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean on Friday issued a corrigendum to the Population White Paper in Parliament to delete a segment of a footnote that classified nursing as a low-skilled job.

Mr Teo said, in the Notice of Corrigendum, that he intends to delete the part of Footnote 12 on Page 40 of the White Paper, which said: "Certain low-skilled jobs like personal services, retail, and nursing are hard to offshore. They will still be needed even as the economy upgrades."

"This classification of low-skilled jobs is not correct. I would like to apologise to those whose professions have been unintentionally misrepresented," said Mr Teo.

He said he was alerted to the matter by "our friends in the nursing profession and unions".

Adding that he has the "greatest respect" for the nursing profession, the DPM said it is a "noble and caring profession, which all of us and our loved ones depend on and appreciate".

bsslang
13-02-13, 09:22
Low skilled jobs itself is incorrect. Every job including personal services and retail job are profession by themselves too.

I kinda of support some so called low-skilled jobs like security, cleaning and retail, f&b should have a decent pay to start off with, to let them gain some pride and dignity.

hopeful
13-02-13, 09:40
SINGAPORE - Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean on Friday issued a corrigendum to the Population White Paper in Parliament to delete a segment of a footnote that classified nursing as a low-skilled job.

Mr Teo said, in the Notice of Corrigendum, that he intends to delete the part ....

i learn a big word today.

moneytalk
13-02-13, 10:01
I like the leader of this country. He is smart, decent, humble and kind.
However, he needs to improve on his leadership and communication skills.

eng81157
13-02-13, 10:12
i learn a big word today.

call an error, an error. to think MSM uses bombastic words to alleviate the extent of damage done :tsk-tsk:

just like equating 'flooding' to 'ponding'

phantom_opera
13-02-13, 10:18
Most of my middle class friends / relatives in MY having min 2 kids and 3 kids are the norms

Can the "beauty" of Singapore system last when nobody wants to give birth?

On one end it is beauty, from another angle it is brutality ... the reality is we are living in an island without natural resources with increasing population density ... ;弱肉强食 is the name of game ... no money to afford doctors here go JB lah :banghead:

hyenergix
13-02-13, 10:23
I like the leader of this country. He is smart, decent, humble and kind.
However, he needs to improve on his leadership and communication skills.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

phantom_opera
13-02-13, 10:29
so shall I say Singapore system is "beautifully brutal" or "brutally beautiful" :p

is there an alternative word to describe Singapore?

rockinsg
13-02-13, 12:55
Like family, what makes Singapore beautiful is "people".
People who respect law and order and each other.Rest is all achievable with above.

radha08
13-02-13, 14:31
singapore is a 3 letter country....coe cov mrt hdb erp :D:D:D...pie ecp cte:scared-1:

huat ahhhh....:D:D:D

heroes
13-02-13, 15:04
singapore is a 3 letter country....coe cov mrt hdb erp :D:D:D...pie ecp cte:scared-1:

Dont forget LKY :D

roly8
13-02-13, 15:16
Most of my middle class friends / relatives in MY having min 2 kids and 3 kids are the norms

Can the "beauty" of Singapore system last when nobody wants to give birth?

On one end it is beauty, from another angle it is brutality ... the reality is we are living in an island without natural resources with increasing population density ... ;弱肉强食 is the name of game ... no money to afford doctors here go JB lah :banghead:

yea.. i really worry about taking the next step into my life in SG :(

Kelonguni
13-02-13, 16:08
According to thread starter, supposed to write about things beautiful and nice about SG.

Stay focused.

Hawker centres are pretty nice. The food is oily, yummy and cheap!

phantom_opera
13-02-13, 16:28
Beautiful can be double edge sword , hawker food uses palm oil not olive oil

roly8
13-02-13, 16:54
Beautiful can be double edge sword , hawker food uses palm oil not olive oil

i heard got use pig oil too.. :scared-3:

COS
13-02-13, 18:12
According to thread starter, supposed to write about things beautiful and nice about SG.

Stay focused.

Hawker centres are pretty nice. The food is oily, yummy and cheap!

cheers mate, you the man. :cheers6:
hawker food...mmmm.....hokkien mee, fried kway tiao, satay mee hoon, bbq fish, otah, chicken wings....I think I go tapao now.

COS
13-02-13, 18:14

LRT, NUS, NTU, SMU, AVA, NEA, UOB, DBS, BMT, ORD, SBS and also JLB. :D

COS
13-02-13, 20:56
No more good stuff?

- Taxi fare here much cheaper than other developed countries.
- Road signages everywhere assisting lost drivers.
- Newer flats are more good looking
- Changi Airport, need not say more
- Taxi drivers debating in coffeeshop, you will be amazed by their feedback
- Enjoying the cup of KOPI every morning at neighbourhood coffeeshop.....beautiful

sgrojak
13-02-13, 21:05
and also you can enjoy the only F1 night race in the world :)

eng81157
14-02-13, 07:41
and also you can enjoy the only F1 night race in the world :)

not a big deal for me......

& the country will turn even 'prettier', should the proposed NS tax on PRs and foreigners be implemented.

rockinsg
14-02-13, 08:16
not a big deal for me......

& the country will turn even 'prettier', should the proposed NS tax on PRs and foreigners be implemented.
Prettiest if we have Singapore version of bumiputras :D:D:D

zzz1
14-02-13, 08:20
We hear people complaining this and that living in this small island. Can we pause for a moment and think about the good stuff in Singapore? Something we took for granted growing up here.

Let me start, we are almost independent on water supply and has constant clean water from our tap.

Please talk about the good stuff only, we heard the bad ones for the longest time liao. I think people who travel often will have more to say.

i like your subject..:)

yap..sometime we need to take a breather to appreciate things around us.

For me, we live in a safe and secure place, not have to overly worry about being rob at your door step.

No riots, gangsterism. Even is made of concrete jungle, we still have alot of small mini park to rest and relex.

zzz1
14-02-13, 08:24
call an error, an error. to think MSM uses bombastic words to alleviate the extent of damage done :tsk-tsk:

just like equating 'flooding' to 'ponding'

yap.. a spade is a spade..

i still remembered with word 'ponding'..:D

Allthepies
14-02-13, 09:40
Low skilled jobs itself is incorrect. Every job including personal services and retail job are profession by themselves too.

I kinda of support some so called low-skilled jobs like security, cleaning and retail, f&b should have a decent pay to start off with, to let them gain some pride and dignity.

The most impt jobs usually pay the least and has the lowest dignity. Eg cleaners, sweepers, hawkers, construction workers, nurses....

While the highest paying jobs serve the least functionality eg investment bankers, equity traders, bond traders, oil traders....

Sadly I'm moving towards the highest-paying job :(

Allthepies
14-02-13, 09:53
i like your subject..:)

yap..sometime we need to take a breather to appreciate things around us.

For me, we live in a safe and secure place, not have to overly worry about being rob at your door step.

No riots, gangsterism. Even is made of concrete jungle, we still have alot of small mini park to rest and relex.

Yup, a safe environment is priceless. Able to go out at night feeling safe is priceless. Able to go out without the fear of your love ones being robbed, rapeped, murdered is priceless.

Yesterday I was up north, I don't have this feeling of "safety", was constantly watching out for trouble.

zzz1
14-02-13, 10:07
up north, the condition don seem to be getting any better , in fact, worst.

i still have my elderly in laws staying JBs, and i travel up to KL on and off..

initially was constantly watch up, but now, read the news till numb already. The locals would have also have their mindset fixed and complacency set in too.

that contrast to what we have in Sg.

stl67
14-02-13, 10:34
For fish lover like myself, it is a blessing with 99.99999% of electricity supply...
my malaysian friends need to install UPS

minority
14-02-13, 11:47
I love singapore becoz everything is within reach. Compact n comopolitant n morden.

COS
14-02-13, 19:03
Many thanks to all who contributed. :jump-for-joy:

got some more for drivers
- petrol kiosk all over the island
- roads in good condition
- lightings at night make roads safer
- multi storey carpark

roly8
14-02-13, 19:17
The most impt jobs usually pay the least and has the lowest dignity. Eg cleaners, sweepers, hawkers, construction workers, nurses....

While the highest paying jobs serve the least functionality eg investment bankers, equity traders, bond traders, oil traders....

Sadly I'm moving towards the highest-paying job :(

are you a trader?:confused:

Pynchmail
14-02-13, 19:37
All the very basic things we take for granted here:

1. instant water from the tap, no water rationing.
2. clean fresh air.
3. toilet flushes all the time.
4. instant electricity all the time with no blackout or brown-out.
5. no typhoon, earthquake, tsunami, volcano.
6. no one carry guns.
7. no cold freezing winter or desert-like summer.
8. no need to clear snow on the road or driveway.
9. no nasty comments from racist people.
10. no stomach ache from eating food and drinking water.

and more.

Shanhz
17-02-13, 15:00
For fish lover like myself, it is a blessing with 99.99999% of electricity supply...
my malaysian friends need to install UPS

in malaysia, you can also install "bypass" to "save" electricity.. or perhaps, save the bill.

Laguna
17-02-13, 15:38
Just spoke to a few friends from China, the kidnappers there are 无法无天

roly8
17-02-13, 15:52
Just spoke to a few friends from China, the kidnappers there are 无法无天

:scared-3::scared-3::scared-3::scared-3:

COS
17-02-13, 17:38
There are still beautiful stuff in Singapore and I hope everyone can look back to this thread once a while and realise life is still not too bad afterall. There's no perfect system in the world and there's both sides to a coin which we must always look at.

minority
17-02-13, 19:17
Like ++++++++++++

radha08
17-02-13, 22:57
LRT, NUS, NTU, SMU, AVA, NEA, UOB, DBS, BMT, ORD, SBS and also JLB. :D

JLB....:spliff2: :cheers4: