PDA

View Full Version : Yew Tee residents raise concerns over new nursing home

reporter2
07-02-13, 13:23
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/wednesday/premium/top-the-news/story/yew-tee-residents-raise-concerns-over-new-nursing-home-20130206

Yew Tee residents raise concerns over new nursing home

Published on Feb 06, 2013

By Charissa Yong

YET another group of residents is unhappy that a nursing home will be built in their neighbourhood.

In the latest case of the Nimby (not in my backyard) syndrome, residents of a Yew Tee condominium have met their MP to express their concerns.

About 100 Yew Mei Green residents attended the dialogue with Chua Chu Kang GRC MP Gan Kim Yong last Friday, during which staff from the Ministry of Health (MOH) and Land Transport Authority (LTA) also outlined what would be done to tackle concerns.

The Yew Tee nursing home is one of 10 to be built islandwide by 2016 to meet the needs of an ageing population. The 0.22ha open space - the size of about half a football field - will tentatively be up for tender later this year.

Last Friday, at least 10 residents stepped up to the microphones to give feedback, from noise pollution during construction to the lack of public transport options in the area.

A resident, who declined to be named, told The Straits Times yesterday that she is worried property prices may also be affected. The 45-year-old woman said: "The nursing home will also worsen traffic and block our view."

Last October, Mr Gan had informed the residents in the condo's 712 units about the nursing home. In the first feedback session on Oct 16, they had proposed other sites for the facility, said an MOH spokesman.

They were mainly concerned about the project's impact on traffic in the area which is served by bus service number 307 that plies Choa Chu Kang North 6, a single-lane road in each direction.

Several responses were presented by MOH and LTA at last Friday's dialogue. The nursing home will now be seven storeys, instead of eight, while the single lane in Choa Chu Kang North 6, towards Choa Chu Kang North 5, will be expanded into a dual lane.

Mr Gan, who is also Health Minister, said yesterday in reply to queries from The Straits Times that the consultation process had helped both government agencies and the residents to better understand each other's positions.

"Several residents understandably remain concerned about the impact of the development. We will continue to engage the residents and address their concerns. We also hope to involve the residents in the design and construction phases of this project," he added.

A similar row cropped up last February when Woodlands residents petitioned against the setting up of an eldercare centre in a void deck, concerned that they would lose their communal space. Last May, a group of Bishan East residents petitioned against the building of a nursing home there.

But some Yew Mei Green residents welcome the nursing home. Said Ms Pauline Lee, a freelance trainer in her mid-40s: "We're all going to grow old one day so we need nursing homes." Her neighbour Christopher Chong, 18, agreed. "If you need to take care of your parents, you should have a place to do that," said the Nanyang Polytechnic student.

[email protected]

azeoprop
07-02-13, 13:34
Next time with aging population, units next to nursing homes will be prime districts. :rolleyes:

Pro888
07-02-13, 14:48
Build shopping mall, see whether got lack of transport, noise pollution or block their views.

rymccondo77
07-02-13, 14:56
Personally think that the complaint on noise pollution is most ridiculous complaint - what is the difference between the noise pollution from constructing a nursing home and the noise pollution from constructing a shopping mall / another flat? :doh:

thomastansb
07-02-13, 15:04
Inconsiderate fools. They will have their retribution one day also.

leesg123
07-02-13, 15:43
Since the opposition ward are so against the white paper, means that they dont mind having a huge old population. May i suggest hdb to build more nursing home for elderly at Houganag, Aljunied and Punggol East? Please? Can? Walk the talk please.

proud owner
07-02-13, 17:26
Since the opposition ward are so against the white paper, means that they dont mind having a huge old population. May i suggest hdb to build more nursing home for elderly at Houganag, Aljunied and Punggol East? Please? Can? Walk the talk please.

you are so evil ....

these wards has the least facilities and amenities
thanks to PAP

and you want to send the old folks there ??

you might want to drink SKII to stay young forever

kane
07-02-13, 17:55
The people who are opposing the homes should be ashamed of themselves. Next time when there are not enough homes here their kids might send them to JB retirement home and visit them once a year during Chinese New Year, see whether they like it.

Never ever here residents complaining why build the mrt in front of their doorstep??

rymccondo77
07-02-13, 18:55
If Singapore Core are made up of people who oppose nursing homes in their "backyard", I will be very worried !!!

minority
07-02-13, 19:47

yes pls!!!

azeoprop
07-02-13, 20:38
Strangely, child care yes, elderly care no??

So those who oppose nursing homes will die young? :rolleyes:

hyenergix
07-02-13, 20:53
The people who are opposing the homes should be ashamed of themselves. Next time when there are not enough homes here their kids might send them to JB retirement home and visit them once a year during Chinese New Year, see whether they like it.

Never ever here residents complaining why build the mrt in front of their doorstep??

I will chose to retire in JB. No point struggling w high cost of living n squeeze with foreigners. Life can be better if we set our horizon further a bit. I might have more Singaporeans as neighbors in JB than in Singapore in 20-30 years time. This cpd b e reality.

Regulators
07-02-13, 20:54
that is so immature... tsk tsk

Jonathan0503
07-02-13, 21:23
Personally think that the complaint on noise pollution is most ridiculous complaint - what is the difference between the noise pollution from constructing a nursing home and the noise pollution from constructing a shopping mall / another flat? :doh:

Maybe they are referring to noise pollution from the old folks when the home is completed, which is also absurd

minority
07-02-13, 21:49
If Singapore Core are made up of people who oppose nursing homes in their "backyard", I will be very worried !!!

well all short sighted. what to do.

leesg123
08-02-13, 00:27
that is so immature... tsk tsk
No problem, i will drop and email to MND to consider. I am sure they wil be very happy. Also people at those three places will also be very happy since they love to take care of older folks as much as they dislike the whitepaper.

leesg123
08-02-13, 00:33
you are so evil ....

these wards has the least facilities and amenities
thanks to PAP

and you want to send the old folks there ??

you might want to drink SKII to stay young forever
Evil? Those three wards are the best in singapore! Aljunied and hougang are mature estate please and so convenient to hospitals like CGH. Excellent place to house our senior citizens.so many buses, clinics, markets too.

Are you from either of these three wards? If so, pls walk the talk. After all you all are self claimed 1st world opposition right?

felicia_sg
08-02-13, 07:08
Don't really know what high cost of living you are talking about in Singapore. In terms of local food price in coffeeshop to local salary, Malaysia is actually higher!
:o
I feel the security costs & risks is not worth saving that few hundred $ a month to retire in Malaysia. :p

I will chose to retire in JB. No point struggling w high cost of living n squeeze with foreigners. Life can be better if we set our horizon further a bit. I might have more Singaporeans as neighbors in JB than in Singapore in 20-30 years time. This cpd b e reality.

hyenergix
08-02-13, 07:28
Don't really know what high cost of living you are talking about in Singapore. In terms of local food price in coffeeshop to local salary, Malaysia is actually higher!
:o
I feel the security costs & risks is not worth saving that few hundred $ a month to retire in Malaysia. :p

Underlying assumption is exchange is fixed at current rate.

stl67
08-02-13, 08:32
Underlying assumption is exchange is fixed at current rate.

actually if take away exchange rate, malaysia has a higher cost of living. this is because their base salary is quite low as compare to SG, dollar to dollar comparison.

for me retirement is not entirely about cost though it is important. you need relatives, children, grandchildren, friends, relatives and etc. so for me, i dont mind downgrade to HDB and can still enjoy the vincinities, convenience..

i am quite familiar with JB as i used to play golf in almost every golf course there. those were the younger days..:p

taggy
08-02-13, 09:19
Strangely, child care yes, elderly care no??

So those who oppose nursing homes will die young? :rolleyes:

actually i still cannot figure out why elderly care is not welcomed?
how does elderly care bring down property price?

kane
08-02-13, 09:33
previously, people want to live near child care, next time people want to live near elderly care.

azeoprop
08-02-13, 09:43
Elderly care industry will be the next big boom. :D Soon we will see more product differentiation from budget government aid types to luxury private villa types. :rolleyes:

DC33_2008
08-02-13, 10:10
It is happening in countries like Australia.
previously, people want to live near child care, next time people want to live near elderly care.

proud owner
08-02-13, 15:26
Evil? Those three wards are the best in singapore! Aljunied and hougang are mature estate please and so convenient to hospitals like CGH. Excellent place to house our senior citizens.so many buses, clinics, markets too.

Are you from either of these three wards? If so, pls walk the talk. After all you all are self claimed 1st world opposition right?

since when i self claimed 1st world opposition ??

you must be living in one of those wards where they are building these homes right ?