PDA

View Full Version : Buying property in US now

xtreme_46
13-01-13, 14:51
is it worth buying a property in US now? Anyone bought one for investment?

I am looking at one in LA..any advice whih website I can go to for property hunting?

starrynight
13-01-13, 16:15
www.trulia.com is a pretty good website to use.

Do do a lot of research before you make any decisions, because the system there is quite different. Have to pay capital gains taxes, need to check HOA fees (something like property tax), and banks usually require some sort of credit score before they extend loans, i.e. for foreigners the process is more difficult.

I am looking at one in LA..any advice whih website I can go to for property hunting?

Rosegarden
14-01-13, 12:37
Among other things, beware of squatters!

http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=15819672

chiaberry
14-01-13, 14:04
It is very difficult to monitor a property half way across the world. Many unscrupulous agents around to take advantage of you. However, if you or family members intend to live in that property, now seems a good time to buy as there are many bank foreclosures. However, if it is purely for investment, do your homework and decide whether it is worth the trouble (and capital gains tax).

hyenergix
14-01-13, 14:59

Too far, not worth it. I suspect many agents in Singapore are selling the properties there at a huge premium to investors. It is better to research many many many many times and visit physically before committing to a unit. I'm not too sure how you can resolve issues with the properties, tenants or future buyers as not many people are familiar with the regulations and government agencies there. In another words you are pretty much on your own if you want to make $.

newbie11
14-01-13, 16:34
how abt US REIT?