View Full Version : $92,100 COE

Kelonguni
09-01-13, 18:38
Certificate of entitlement (COEs) for cars up to 1,600cc - long the mainstay of budget car buyers - shot through the roof at the latest tender Wednesday to set yet another record price.The premium ended at $92,100, almost $10,000 more than its previous price.COE for cars above 1,600c ended higher as well, but at a more modest rate to $96,210, from $93,501 previously. The Open category, which can be used for any type of vehicle but ends up mainly for bigger cars, inched upwards from $95,990 to $96,101.Commercial vehicle COE premiums ended slightly lower at $60,000, from $62,201 three weeks ago. The motorbike premium rose to $1,933, from $1,701.Motor traders attribute the day's results to panic bidding by car dealers bent on securing as many certificates as possible before an even smaller quota kicks in from next month. A three-week interval between the latest tender and the last one also created a bigger backlog of orders, fuelling a more aggressive bidding behaviour.

UltimateAro888
09-01-13, 19:28
Certificate of entitlement (COEs) for cars up to 1,600cc - long the mainstay of budget car buyers - shot through the roof at the latest tender Wednesday to set yet another record price.The premium ended at $92,100, almost $10,000 more than its previous price.COE for cars above 1,600c ended higher as well, but at a more modest rate to $96,210, from $93,501 previously. The Open category, which can be used for any type of vehicle but ends up mainly for bigger cars, inched upwards from $95,990 to $96,101.Commercial vehicle COE premiums ended slightly lower at $60,000, from $62,201 three weeks ago. The motorbike premium rose to $1,933, from $1,701.Motor traders attribute the day's results to panic bidding by car dealers bent on securing as many certificates as possible before an even smaller quota kicks in from next month. A three-week interval between the latest tender and the last one also created a bigger backlog of orders, fuelling a more aggressive bidding behaviour.

Stay near MRT is the way to go......:beats-me-man:

Houses near MRT .. Huat ah !

virzone
09-01-13, 20:20
Stay near MRT is the way to go......:beats-me-man:

Houses near MRT .. Huat ah !

Agree. Luckily I bought one beside MRT :D otherwise another 5 more years my COE expired, i will go crazy liao.

yowetan
09-01-13, 20:21
Agree. Luckily I bought one beside MRT :D otherwise another 5 more years my COE expired, i will go crazy liao.

I am just worrying 5 years then - the property market would crash.

fiat500
09-01-13, 21:04
COE would tumble as well for sure....

kane
09-01-13, 21:20
no incentive to buy turbo charged Cat A lux cars when the COE is the same price.

phantom_opera
09-01-13, 21:28

OCR up from 1000psf to 1800psf and back to 1200psf?
HDB resale index up from 200 to 276 and back down to 230?
COE up from 100k to 180k and back down to 120?

:beats-me-man:

kane
09-01-13, 21:30
buy on dips and sell on rally.

darkseed73
09-01-13, 21:31
no incentive to buy turbo charged Cat A lux cars when the COE is the same price.

No matter what Cat A lux car will still be cheaper then any conti cat B.

All Conti Cat B sure 220+k no escape, so Cat A may still be attractive hovering around 150-200k.

phantom_opera
09-01-13, 21:43
our COE inflation is comparable to:

Iran annual inflation hits 27.4 percent

kane
09-01-13, 21:47
No matter what Cat A lux car will still be cheaper then any conti cat B.

All Conti Cat B sure 220+k no escape, so Cat A may still be attractive hovering around 150-200k.

Cat A turbo charged lux car was cheaper because of the 15-20k differential from Cat B. Now only a few thousand. the gap is going to be marginal. if you are buying a 200k car as it is with this insanely high Cat A COE, would you save that last 10-20k and get a sluggishly turbo charged lux car or just go straight for the Cat B version?

radha08
09-01-13, 21:53
kns i selling my honda jazz almost 1month still cannot sell...:doh:..maybe because manual..:scared-3:

buttercarp
09-01-13, 22:15
kns i selling my honda jazz almost 1month still cannot sell...:doh:..maybe because manual..:scared-3:
Gen Y don't drive manual cars.
Gen X eg myself, forgot how drive manual car.

UltimateAro888
10-01-13, 07:01

Gen "z"(meaning nearing retirement onwards ) will drive fully automated transportation.. the mrt and bus.(drive by some one else )..
cannot afford car anymore by then...

kane
10-01-13, 07:45

Too tiring to drive a manual car when you are always faced with jams.

radha08
10-01-13, 08:15
Too tiring to drive a manual car when you are always faced with jams.

ha ha agree but i love manuals...:o...my vios also manual...my suzuki also manual...:doh:

ysyap
10-01-13, 08:55
ha ha agree but i love manuals...:o...my vios also manual...my suzuki also manual...:doh:Manual car drivers are v rare now... you are facing extinction, man. Even my dad who's been driving manual for about 20+ years is driving auto for more than 10 years already... :cheers1:

amazon777
10-01-13, 09:55
Manual cars very small resale market, even high end sports car, mostly are auto. i swith from manual to auto since 2000 and never look back

taggy
10-01-13, 09:56
Manual car drivers are v rare now... you are facing extinction, man. Even my dad who's been driving manual for about 20+ years is driving auto for more than 10 years already... :cheers1:

looking at how my wife drive, i think she will never pass the test if she drive manual :D

(she don't come this forum, and she also don't noe my nick)

radha08
10-01-13, 11:48
looking at how my wife drive, i think she will never pass the test if she drive manual :D

(she don't come this forum, and she also don't noe my nick)

i am so lucky my wife likes manual...she say auto no power...but then again her husband is a poor man cannot afford to buy her a vw golf gti...only a vios...:o:o:o

radha08
10-01-13, 11:53
KNS the first car i bought for my wife in 2005..brand new...yesterday open 2nd prize...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5253/5463928867_ab66c840b9.jpg

it was a MANUAL....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

kane
10-01-13, 11:59
Especially those go malaysia. Jam at causeway 1+ hour. No fun driving manual.

radha08
10-01-13, 12:08
Especially those go malaysia. Jam at causeway 1+ hour. No fun driving manual.

ha ha agree...got good got bad...those hardcore drivers will die die never drive auto...but once they become old...:eek:...who knows:D

ysyap
10-01-13, 12:27
ha ha agree...got good got bad...those hardcore drivers will die die never drive auto...but once they become old...:eek:...who knows:DWhen leaving the carpark on an upslope then cars in front jammed (no cash card, etc) then move stop move stop... no joke man...

indomie
10-01-13, 12:29
i am so lucky my wife likes manual...she say auto no power...but then again her husband is a poor man cannot afford to buy her a vw golf gti...only a vios...:o:o:o
Vios is a very good car. It got a good 1500cc engine. Smooth ctv transmission and very economical to run. Much better and more fun to drive than corolla altis or even a camry.

ysyap
10-01-13, 12:29
5 yrs back, my dad bought a Mark X for $92k. Today, you buy a paper for $92k... :doh:

Rosy
10-01-13, 13:59
5 yrs back, my dad bought a Mark X for $92k. Today, you buy a paper for $92k... :doh:
Beginning of 2009, i bought a jap car for 5xk. Just 3years ago.

radha08
10-01-13, 16:54
Beginning of 2009, i bought a jap car for 5xk. Just 3years ago.

u could have got a 3 bedder condo for 5xxK then:eek:

ysyap
10-01-13, 16:59
u could have got a 3 bedder condo for 5xxK then:eek:Put a 1 in front now... :scared-4:

Rosy
10-01-13, 21:33
u could have got a 3 bedder condo for 5xxK then:eek:
What do u mean?

phantom_opera
10-01-13, 22:46
http://www.tremeritus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/coecata.jpg

kane
10-01-13, 22:53
looks like STI chart...

radha08
11-01-13, 03:18
looks like STI chart...

i also say...:D:D:D

radha08
11-01-13, 03:20
What do u mean?

what i mean is that early 2009 everything was cheap cheap cheap the world was coming to an end then at least thats what most people thought...

ysyap
11-01-13, 05:57
what i mean is that early 2009 everything was cheap cheap cheap the world was coming to an end then at least thats what most people thought...Cheap compared to now lah but then it was still pretty expensive then, I remember. However, there was not many CM to curb or restrict our purchase then. That was very important. ;)

Yo u work night shift?

kane
11-01-13, 07:25
Kovan residences $700+psf back then... and many more of course. MPR... Caspian...

Shanhz
11-01-13, 07:59
looks like STI chart...

no lah, STI not even 3,800 yet

kane
11-01-13, 08:12
If STI was 3800, COE would have been well past the $100k mark.

phantom_opera
11-01-13, 08:25
any TA analist can tell u COE price is now outside of the rising band .... that means extremely bullish

kane
11-01-13, 11:41
Enter higher uptrend channel.

Rysk
11-01-13, 11:51
http://www.tremeritus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/coecata.jpg

I like the last 4 point.. the "curve" was damn POWER!! :D

kane
11-01-13, 11:54
Got a chart for Cat B?

Kelonguni
15-01-13, 16:29
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/shrinkage-car-coe-supply-continues-20130115

The tsunami from property regulations will swarm over to cars. Other than houses, the next big ticket item for Singaporeans are cars!

100K by CNY guaranteed.

Eh, how come no CM for cars? The price has gone up three-fold from mid-2000s.

DC33_2008
15-01-13, 16:36
It is so easy to cool the COE. Just increase the quota like what they do with more GLS in property. ;)
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/shrinkage-car-coe-supply-continues-20130115

The tsunami from property regulations will swarm over to cars. Other than houses, the next big ticket item for Singaporeans are cars!

100K by CNY guaranteed.

Eh, how come no CM for cars? The price has gone up three-fold from mid-2000s.

phantom_opera
15-01-13, 16:45
One expat complained to me ... in Singapore you make $$ 200k pa seems a lot but once u starting buy car buy property hire maid + international school ... all so ex ... at the end nothing left ... so if you want to save and invest then no qualify of life ... if enjoy quality of life (maid+car+condo as roof) then no saving to invest ... LPPL

LPPL is such a good word to describe Singapore life :D

for expats:

lppl
hokkien (chinese dialect), commonly used in singapore. literally means to bang your balls against your dick. used when you are stuck in a situation and no matter how you try to change it, the end result is the same.

Kelonguni
15-01-13, 21:11
It is so easy to cool the COE. Just increase the quota like what they do with more GLS in property. ;)

Yes, it's easy, but sustainable? Look at what happened to Ex minister Raymond Lim...

hyenergix
15-01-13, 21:27
One expat complained to me ... in Singapore you make $$ 200k pa seems a lot but once u starting buy car buy property hire maid + international school ... all so ex ... at the end nothing left ... so if you want to save and invest then no qualify of life ... if enjoy quality of life (maid+car+condo as roof) then no saving to invest ... LPPL

for expats:

lppl
hokkien (chinese dialect), commonly used in singapore. literally means to bang your balls against your dick. used when you are stuck in a situation and no matter how you try to change it, the end result is the same.

I have written off Singapore for retirement for peasants like myself. The amt of social security does not equal to e tax we r paying indirectly. The money has disappeared somewhere... u guys shd know something is not right.

phantom_opera
15-01-13, 21:54
I have written off Singapore for retirement for peasants like myself. The amt of social security does not equal to e tax we r paying indirectly. The money has disappeared somewhere... u guys shd know something is not right.

if u believe in PAP, Temasek / GIC are supposed to increase payout to address SG aging problem in next 20/30y ... we will be one day like Japan ... we are saving for rainy days ahead

Shanhz
15-01-13, 21:55
lppl

:D :D :D :D :D

hyenergix
15-01-13, 22:00
if u believe in PAP, Temasek / GIC are supposed to increase payout to address SG aging problem in next 20/30y ... we will be one day like Japan ... we are saving for rainy days ahead

The returns r quite low. Cld have spurred govt to open immigration flood gate for instant GDP growth. We r now paying back to patch up e flaws. I doubt we will get to c our national reserves. New immigrants r also nor reproducing much. End up diluting reserves...

phantom_opera
15-01-13, 22:05
The returns r quite low. Cld have spurred govt to open immigration flood gate for instant GDP growth. We r now paying back to patch up e flaws. I doubt we will get to c our national reserves. New immigrants r also nor reproducing much. End up diluting reserves...

as i highlighted b4, the truth is some way in btn ... it is no way as high as 17% compound return in as claimed by Temasek nor it is loss making

i am just concerned whether 4% CPF return is sustinable in next 20-30y

hyenergix
15-01-13, 22:08
as i highlighted b4, the truth is some way in btn ... it is no way as high as 17% compound return in as claimed by Temasek nor it is loss making

i am just concerned whether 4% CPF return is sustinable in next 20-30y

Temasek owns a lot of GLCs, n e GLCs earn $ from? How to make loss? Time to subsidise e buses n MRT.

minority
15-01-13, 23:55
Temasek owns a lot of GLCs, n e GLCs earn $ from? How to make loss? Time to subsidise e buses n MRT.

ur analogy is so simple. like that why not ask for a free PC per citizen?

minority
15-01-13, 23:58

for expats:

lppl

why do the expat need a car and a house? they are lving the singapore dream ? if they are tranit here then house is utility. like water just pay rent. times up go home.

if they plan to stay here then they would have to join the rat race. so its a investment.

also if they want to localized then no need go international school mah.. if not they should have nego a better package .. coz 200K is not a expat package.

Kelonguni
17-01-13, 07:21
why do the expat need a car and a house? they are lving the singapore dream ? if they are tranit here then house is utility. like water just pay rent. times up go home.

if they plan to stay here then they would have to join the rat race. so its a investment.

also if they want to localized then no need go international school mah.. if not they should have nego a better package .. coz 200K is not a expat package.

200K is already better off than most of us actually. Just work five years then pay off car, only need to service home loan or rent.

buttercarp
17-01-13, 07:40

Yes, I agree about the expat package.
I think it should be more, mabbe at least $400K?
My FT neighbour renting his unit for $5k per month, child goes to UWC, wife does not work, has a maid. ..... so I assume he should be getting more than 200k per year.

kane
17-01-13, 07:53
UWC per month quite chor.

minority
17-01-13, 15:23
200K is already better off than most of us actually. Just work five years then pay off car, only need to service home loan or rent.

no need to pay rent or loan? no need to eat? no other expenses like send kids to school and domestic help? actually not much left after all the overhead.

minority
17-01-13, 15:24
My FT neighbour renting his unit for $5k per month, child goes to UWC, wife does not work, has a maid. ..... so I assume he should be getting more than 200k per year.

wont comment how much is all depends what the roles and responsibility. I am saying 200K these days are not a lot of $. after u factor in all the cost.

minority
17-01-13, 15:25

wont comment how much is all depends what the roles and responsibility. I am saying 200K these days are not a lot of $. after u factor in all the cost. even locals are paid more than this these days.

eng81157
17-01-13, 15:35
wont comment how much is all depends what the roles and responsibility. I am saying 200K these days are not a lot of $. after u factor in all the cost.

huh? $200k is more than enough

Monthly expenses:

Rental - $6000
Maid - $800
Car - $1500 (assuming company is not picking up the tab)
Kids (assuming 2) - $2000
Monthly groceries - $1500
Utilities - $500
Personal expenses - $1000

Works out to be about $160k, with $40k leftover

minority
17-01-13, 15:42

Monthly expenses:

Rental - $6000
Maid - $800
Utilities - $500

thats work out to be 3.3K extra per mth..

how abt insurance? kids , self n spouse? assume 5% of income thats 10K.

thats left with ~2K per mth spare cash. But a iphone or gadget here n there.

Throw in a ticket home for kids n wife once a yr ? and also must put some $$ aside coz have to go home later need $.. so is there much left?

6K rental get u what these days? 1000sqf in CCR and a 3 bedder in OCR.. nothing too fancy.

so 2K for 2 kid is not international school.. go play school also min 700-1300pm per kid these days.

so I would hardly say 200K is expat package. more like local package.

eng81157
17-01-13, 15:50
thats work out to be 3.3K extra per mth..

how abt insurance? kids , self n spouse? assume 5% of income thats 10K.

thats left with ~2K per mth spare cash. But a iphone or gadget here n there.

Throw in a ticket home for kids n wife once a yr ? and also must put some $$ aside coz have to go home later need $.. so is there much left?

6K rental get u what these days? 1000sqf in CCR and a 3 bedder in OCR.. nothing too fancy.

if on expat package and company doesn't have good health coverage for employer and family, can kiss goodbye to the company liao.

$6k rental can get a huge 4BR in RCR, fyi. if move to 3BR in OCR, get go below $5k easily.

by the way, my figures have factored a +10% buffer

minority
17-01-13, 15:55
if on expat package and company doesn't have good health coverage for employer and family, can kiss goodbye to the company liao.

$6k rental can get a huge 4BR in RCR, fyi. if move to 3BR in OCR, get go below $5k easily.

by the way, my figures have factored a +10% buffer

yes so depends where and how big the family. 4 people a RCR will do and 5K 4BR depends where.. East? upper East? or Jurong?

also depends where the work place is. in town or in west or in east?

but not much left at most extra 1K if go RCR for 5K rental. That extra 1K go pay transport if all the activities are far say in town.

jacelynchia
17-01-13, 16:07
My friend is planning to get a car right now despite of high COE.
He told me if he continue to wait, COE may cross 200k one day, might as well get it now.
I do have friends who wants to buy a car as a investment!
All thinking COE will go up and they may profit.

Any experts on COE?

minority
17-01-13, 16:39
He told me if he continue to wait, COE may cross 200k one day, might as well get it now.

Any experts on COE?

that the KS person in him speaking. thats why COE so high today.. euphoria feeds more euphoria.

like the tulip bubble.

howgozit
17-01-13, 17:01

Monthly expenses:

Rental - $6000
Maid - $800
Utilities - $500

Hahaha..... an expat with only $1000 in personal expenses?

Lord Anus
18-01-13, 00:44

Yeah... That's only two shots/one night with a quality call girl at an Orcahrd hotel.

Or 10 shots at Orchard Point Pinoys.

Or 20 shots at Changi Village ah qua backsides.

eng81157
18-01-13, 08:13

depends on how you define a lifestyle of 'needs' and 'wants'. if everyday go morton's, can't even last a week. if everyday go astons, more than enough to last a month.

Shanhz
18-01-13, 11:33

Any experts on COE?

this is same as the ppty game. those that got in early win. those that got in last will be hugging the musical chair. imagine you are the last batch of 150k COE, then mkt tanks (for whatever reason). that's 15k a year on COE depreciation, whcih you cannot sell becoz newer cars will cost cheaper than COE alone.

i certainly dun wan to be holding that hot potato.

at least ppty you can still expect 10 yrs later the mkt will come back. for COE, 10 yrs later when mkt come back, your car cannot move leow, and the paper become zero.

howgozit
18-01-13, 11:52
depends on how you define a lifestyle of 'needs' and 'wants'. if everyday go morton's, can't even last a week. if everyday go astons, more than enough to last a month.

For an expat? $1000/mth?

You are joking right?

There is no end to the discussion of how much is enough., but I think you may have missed the point.

Expat terms are meant to cover more than the basic needs. An overseas posting is considered a hardship posting. Expat terms are meant to at least equal or more likely better the conditions/quality of life at home country.

Btw, it doesn't matter if being posted to Singapore is actually hardship or not.

Kelonguni
19-01-13, 21:11
Yah 200k is hardly expat package, as some of the locals have some subsidy for especially housing.

Many expats use our public transport even though they can easily afford cars.

Shanhz
24-01-13, 08:23
actually for those who are complaining abt 100k COE, i think they will complain more when GPS charging come out. now, you still have a choice. you wan to pay 100k, buy new car. want to pay less? buy older car.

once GPS charging comes out... everybody pay the same. those driving smaller car will cry more.

eng81157
24-01-13, 08:31
actually for those who are complaining abt 100k COE, i think they will complain more when GPS charging come out. now, you still have a choice. you wan to pay 100k, buy new car. want to pay less? buy older car.

once GPS charging comes out... everybody pay the same. those driving smaller car will cry more.

and everyone starts buying MPVs, SUVs, Merc and BMWs?

eng81157
24-01-13, 08:35
For an expat? $1000/mth?

You are joking right?

There is no end to the discussion of how much is enough., but I think you may have missed the point.

Expat terms are meant to cover more than the basic needs. An overseas posting is considered a hardship posting. Expat terms are meant to at least equal or more likely better the conditions/quality of life at home country.

Btw, it doesn't matter if being posted to Singapore is actually hardship or not.

having a job in Singapore vs having no jobs back at home - take your pick: the bitter poison or frying pan?

long gone are the days where they have luxurious relocation packages, unless they are top-tier management. isn't it already known that most are ready to accept local package terms? $200k in local context is more than sufficient.

minority
24-01-13, 11:04
having a job in Singapore vs having no jobs back at home - take your pick: the bitter poison or frying pan?

long gone are the days where they have luxurious relocation packages, unless they are top-tier management. isn't it already known that most are ready to accept local package terms? $200k in local context is more than sufficient.

Then may I ask what advantage the Foreigners have over locals then? To say all better pay n advantage they have coming to milk singapore? Given the high cost they pay just to stay here? where they pay verse the locals?

All the Whiners complaining abt FT better treated blah blah blah?

howgozit
24-01-13, 15:37

Hahaha..... of course there are foreigners that come on local terms. But l thought we were talking about Expat Terms.

I do not dispute that$200k is considered decent in Singapore. And there are foreigners who do come with such a renumeration or even much less.

But it is not an Expat package. And definitely $1000/mth for personal expenses is way below an Expat expectations.

howgozit
24-01-13, 15:41
Not all foreigners are on Expat terms....

I believe we were originally talking about Expat terms right?

eng81157
24-01-13, 15:59
Then may I ask what advantage the Foreigners have over locals then? To say all better pay n advantage they have coming to milk singapore? Given the high cost they pay just to stay here? where they pay verse the locals?

All the Whiners complaining abt FT better treated blah blah blah?

:doh: :doh: sorry, who's complaining about FT being better treated??! To say all better pay n advantage they have coming to milk singapore?? what on earth are you talking about?

learn to read and follow the thread of discussion. think i shall stop, no point casting pearls to swines if they can't even think logically

eng81157
24-01-13, 16:00
Hahaha..... of course there are foreigners that come on local terms. But l thought we were talking about Expat Terms.

I do not dispute that$200k is considered decent in Singapore. And there are foreigners who do come with such a renumeration or even much less.

But it is not an Expat package. And definitely $1000/mth for personal expenses is way below an Expat expectations.

it was only about pay package for expats.

howgozit
24-01-13, 16:05
it was only about pay package for expats.

Ok.....

Anyway sorry to rest of forummers for diverting the thread of COE to talking about FTs and expat packages. I wonder how we drifted so far off. (As usual)

Cheers!

minority
24-01-13, 16:05
:doh: :doh: sorry, who's complaining about FT being better treated??! To say all better pay n advantage they have coming to milk singapore?? what on earth are you talking about?

learn to read and follow the thread of discussion. think i shall stop, no point casting pearls to swines if they can't even think logically

Its ok I give up on u to. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: