PDA

View Full Version : Punggol East by-election on 26 Jan

taggy
09-01-13, 16:22
election lai liao :D

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1246889/1/.html

SINGAPORE: A by-election will be held for Punggol East Single-Member Constituency (SMC), after Member of Parliament Michael Palmer resigned over an extra-marital affair.

Nomination Day will be held on 16 January 2013. If more than one candidate stand for nominations on Nomination Day, Polling Day will be held on 26 January 2013. Polling Day will not be a public holiday.

The president issued the Writ of Election on Wednesday.

The Nomination Place is North Vista Secondary School at Rivervale Link.

The Returning Officer is Mr Yam Ah Mee, chief executive director of the People's Association.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said he had decided to hold a by-election in Punggol East to give the residents their own Member of Parliament, before Singapore focuses back on national issues.

In a statement, he said: "We have a busy national agenda this year. The White Paper on Population will soon be debated in Parliament. Budget 2013 is around the corner. The Our Singapore Conversation is translating the views of citizens into programmes to improve our lives."

Mr Lee hopes Punggol East residents will vote for the candidate who can best represent them in Parliament, solve their problems and improve their lives.

He said Minister of State and Mayor Teo Ser Luck has been overseeing the constituency, while Mr Zainal Sapari has been chairing the Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean has also taken a personal interest in the residents' welfare.

ysyap
09-01-13, 18:35
Tot its once every 4/5 years. Now it seems every 6 months... :doh:

taggy
09-01-13, 18:42

speculate leh, who will be standing for election :D

Kanarazu
09-01-13, 19:09
speculate leh, who will be standing for election :D

百家爭鳴必定白家政民

taggy
09-01-13, 19:28
百家爭鳴必定白家政民

skali, the opps already conspire and finally only 1 opp turn up on nomination day :D

alamak
09-01-13, 19:46
skali, the opps already conspire and finally only 1 opp turn up on nomination day :D
Would'nt be a surprise it iy turns out this way.. He He may be the different Opp parties trick .. in getting the by-election to be held bcos PAP think it's a sure multi-corner fight and they bao chiak wan ,,hence they hold the by-election.
:D

august
09-01-13, 19:51
Doubt the Opp have any unity. A PAP win again.

radha08
09-01-13, 21:55

meow....said the pussy...:D:D:D:D

Allthepies
10-01-13, 07:46
Doubt the Opp have any unity. A PAP win again.

depends on wat the voters want; (peace and prosperity) or (excitement but uncertainty).

august
10-01-13, 08:01
depends on wat the voters want; (peace and prosperity) or (excitement but uncertainty).

piss and posteriority? hahaha

eng81157
10-01-13, 08:04

cos MPs are having affairs unreservedly nowadays?!

taggy
10-01-13, 08:23
cos MPs are having affairs unreservedly nowadays?!
maybe we should start to guess after Punggol East, how many more bi-elections before 2016? :D
at current rate is, 1 per year, so 2014 and 2015, i guess 2 more bi-elections to go :D

ysyap
10-01-13, 08:36
skali, the opps already conspire and finally only 1 opp turn up on nomination day :Dunlikely lah... some opposition like to spoil market de... but looking from a different perspective, those who don't want WP will just give their votes to other opp rather than PAP... lol.. :rolleyes:

ysyap
10-01-13, 08:37
maybe we should start to guess after Punggol East, how many more bi-elections before 2016? :D
at current rate is, 1 per year, so 2014 and 2015, i guess 2 more bi-elections to go :DThink after so many news recently, it'll be quiet for some time coz all MPs are more careful of unnecessary scrutiny. Wait invite to PM office to drink kopi..

taggy
10-01-13, 08:48
unlikely lah... some opposition like to spoil market de... but looking from a different perspective, those who don't want WP will just give their votes to other opp rather than PAP... lol.. :rolleyes:
then, this confirm 人都是自私的 :D
i think almost everyone in sg understand, if there is only 1 opp contesting, then the chance of winning is very possible...
yet, the opp parties cannot work towards a common goal :D

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/top-the-news/story/sdp-tried-reach-out-wp-no-avail-yet-says-chee-20130110
SINGAPORE Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan said last night that the party had e-mailed the Workers' Party to suggest a meeting to avoid a three-cornered fight.
WP chairman Sylvia Lim replied, he said, adding: "There was no indication that they wanted to meet."
On what would make the SDP reconsider, Mr Jufrie cited two factors: If the WP had the better candidate, or if a stand-down would "open the way for cooperation" in the next general election.

ysyap
10-01-13, 09:06
then, this confirm 人都是自私的 :D
i think almost everyone in sg understand, if there is only 1 opp contesting, then the chance of winning is very possible...
yet, the opp parties cannot work towards a common goal :D

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/top-the-news/story/sdp-tried-reach-out-wp-no-avail-yet-says-chee-20130110
SINGAPORE Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan said last night that the party had e-mailed the Workers' Party to suggest a meeting to avoid a three-cornered fight.
WP chairman Sylvia Lim replied, he said, adding: "There was no indication that they wanted to meet."
On what would make the SDP reconsider, Mr Jufrie cited two factors: If the WP had the better candidate, or if a stand-down would "open the way for cooperation" in the next general election.May not be just a 3 cornered fight... so many parties are interested... working together is the only solution for them to expand their influences... :cool:

Shanhz
10-01-13, 09:14
looking at the current situatoin, confirm chop PAP win. becoz oppo >1 party join in the fun means all votes split. i reckon that's why small lee faster call election, dun give them time to sit down and work out strategy.

ok, now the fun thing is... which is the next ward coming up for by-election? (ie: who is the next MP to pikchiat lobang... whistle blowing is in vogue now. sure got more dirty laundry)

ysyap
10-01-13, 09:19
looking at the current situatoin, confirm chop PAP win. becoz oppo >1 party join in the fun means all votes split. i reckon that's why small lee faster call election, dun give them time to sit down and work out strategy.

ok, now the fun thing is... which is the next ward coming up for by-election? (ie: who is the next MP to pikchiat lobang... whistle blowing is in vogue now. sure got more dirty laundry)Agreed. Some acts might already have been committed but not discovered or revealed yet... :tsk-tsk:

taggy
10-01-13, 10:27
first participant confirmed... who is next ?

PAP fields Koh Poh Koon as its candidate for by-election
(http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247058/1/.html)...
He said that as an HDB heartlander, he can readily identify with many of the issues and daily struggles faced by Singaporeans and pledged to make the community a better place to live in and to create opportunities for a better future

he staying in hdb now ?

Shanhz
10-01-13, 12:51
first participant confirmed... who is next ?

PAP fields Koh Poh Koon as its candidate for by-election
(http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247058/1/.html)...
He said that as an HDB heartlander, he can readily identify with many of the issues and daily struggles faced by Singaporeans and pledged to make the community a better place to live in and to create opportunities for a better future

he staying in hdb now ?

people is loktor leh.. where got loktor stay HDBee one

taggy
10-01-13, 12:55
people is loktor leh.. where got loktor stay HDBee one

that is what i think lah... but then CNA say HDB heartlander leh
can be HDB heartlander but not staying in one ? :D

Shanhz
10-01-13, 13:08

chan chun sing also heartlander. i duno where he stays lah, but his pay in SAF also same as average loktor (of coz lower than senior loktor)

whatever the straights times say, pple will believe. they say heartlander means heartlander lah. sinkies very straight one, cannot turn one.

taggy
10-01-13, 13:14
sinkies very straight one, cannot turn one.
so can i be defined as slightly above average sinkies... bec at least i raise my doubt here hahahahah

buttercarp
10-01-13, 13:19

According to the news:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247058/1/.html
Dr Koh said he grew up poor -- his father was a bus driver, working two shifts a day to support a family of five children.

Shanhz
10-01-13, 13:21
so can i be defined as slightly above average sinkies... bec at least i raise my doubt here hahahahah

congrats. you are now 80/20. the 20%.

taggy
10-01-13, 13:27
According to the news:

Dr Koh said he grew up poor -- his father was a bus driver, working two shifts a day to support a family of five children.

aiya, then should say "ex-HDB heartlander" :D

Regulators
10-01-13, 13:34
wonder why pap want to field a doctor in punggol. Singapore already short of surgeons, should just let him practise his trade. the job of mp any tom, dick n harry with a degree n the the right relations can do,but to be a good surgeon, a person needs about ten years of training.

Allthepies
10-01-13, 13:35
the moment you call yourself sinkies already say volume about yourself, how you view yourself, your attitude, your national pride.

if you don't view yourself as Singaporeans, no matter which party is ruling, you will always be a sinkies.

buttercarp
10-01-13, 13:36
aiya, then should say "ex-HDB heartlander" :D

Who knows... mabbe he still stay in HDB?

Or mabbe he still own a HDB ?

taggy
10-01-13, 13:45
the moment you call yourself sinkies already say volume about yourself, how you view yourself, your attitude, your national pride.

if you don't view yourself as Singaporeans, no matter which party is ruling, you will always be a sinkies.

alamak tio suan liao.... i m pink ic Singaporean, served NS.

actually i didnt really paid attention to the word "sinkies", actually it mean sink down huh

taggy
10-01-13, 14:00
Who knows... mabbe he still stay in HDB?

Or mabbe he still own a HDB ?

aiya, confirm liao, he still live in hdb lah...
my fault.... we should have some confidence in local media also lah :D:D

from Facebook posted by Today (4 hours ago):
PAP Punggol East by-election candidate Dr Koh Poh Koon says he empathises with heartland concerns.
"I still stay in a HDB flat," he says, recounting how he had to borrow money from his uncle to renovate his flat. After buying his flat, he only had $11.50 in savings, and didn't even have money to buy furniture, he adds.

buttercarp
10-01-13, 14:02

PAP Punggol East by-election candidate Dr Koh Poh Koon says he empathises with heartland concerns.
"I still stay in a HDB flat," he says, recounting how he had to borrow money from his uncle to renovate his flat. After buying his flat, he only had $11.50 in savings, and didn't even have money to buy furniture, he adds.

Ok then.... at least he will really understand the heartlanders.

august
10-01-13, 14:35
According to the news:

who here did not grow up poor?
u all agree with me? agree kee chiu! kee chiu!!

taggy
10-01-13, 14:41
who here did not grow up poor?
u all agree with me? agree kee chiu! kee chiu!!
i m under the impression that blackjack21trader is born rich leh :D

skali, opposition parties come out with candidates with lagi poorer background :D

focus
10-01-13, 15:41
wonder why pap want to field a doctor in punggol. Singapore already short of surgeons, should just let him practise his trade. the job of mp any tom, dick n harry with a degree n the the right relations can do,but to be a good surgeon, a person needs about ten years of training.

You never see.... Doctors bring in doctors.. lawyers bring in lawyers. General bring in General.
Their network is as such..

focus
10-01-13, 15:45
With the potential candidates all surfacing..
I hereby declared Dr Koh the winner.
Even one vs one fight with any of the potential candidates, he will win.

He's likable...very natural.. articulate but uses very simple words and sentences. He also looks very very sincere and humble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oZX2BMVv2Y&feature=youtu.be

Shanhz
11-01-13, 07:38
alamak tio suan liao.... i m pink ic Singaporean, served NS.

actually i didnt really paid attention to the word "sinkies", actually it mean sink down huh

yah, tio suan. what to do. difference between being humble and being pessimistic is just a fine line. being able to mock and laugh at oneself is an art that pple with too much pride cannot stoop down to doing. :D

Shanhz
11-01-13, 07:40

well, the next thing that SINGPOREANS will say, is that, do doctors need to be subsidised for their flats, depriving other poorer SINGAPOREANS from HDB.

azeoprop
11-01-13, 08:45

Oh no, reminds me of that 許來發 character in 夜市人生 taiwan drama. :rolleyes:

minority
11-01-13, 13:44
i m under the impression that blackjack21trader is born rich leh :D

skali, opposition parties come out with candidates with lagi poorer background :D

Is it a crime to be born rich? Maybe u all prefer to get a MP that is a beggar ?

minority
11-01-13, 13:45
well, the next thing that SINGPOREANS will say, is that, do doctors need to be subsidised for their flats, depriving other poorer SINGAPOREANS from HDB.

Wat ever it is if the focus is Glass half full. The glass will never be full. u see wat u choose to see.

Why must live life always so pessimistic?

Shanhz
11-01-13, 13:52
Wat ever it is if the focus is Glass half full. The glass will never be full. u see wat u choose to see.

Why must live life always so pessimistic?

that statement was meant to be a mockery.

by the way pessimists dun belong in our forum hor. here all BULLS. pessimist will expect ppty bubble to burst.

taggy
11-01-13, 16:20
Is it a crime to be born rich? Maybe u all prefer to get a MP that is a beggar ?

nobody say it is a crime leh...
ok, then maybe opps will come up with a super rich person to contest...:tongue3:

ysyap
11-01-13, 16:24
Rich people need to understand poor people. Poor people also need to understand rich people... nothing wrong lah! :rolleyes:

taggy
11-01-13, 16:24
he is dam serious hor, Chee on SDP contesting: "This is not just for fun" (http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/chee-sdp-contesting-not-just-fun-20130111)
Dr Chee Soon Juan strenuously denied that the Singapore Democratic Party is not serious about contesting in Punggol East and that it is simply posturing for concessions from the Workers' Party in the next General Election.
The SDP chief told The Straits Times that the party is still keen to meet with the WP which has thus far not accepted three requests to meet and that "everything is on the table"...

taggy
11-01-13, 16:26
Rich people need to understand poor people. Poor people also need to understand rich people... nothing wrong lah! :rolleyes:

yes, and i also think mostly is, "poor ppl want to be rich, rich ppl want to be richer" :D

howgozit
11-01-13, 16:43
This surgeon is really quite likeable... switches from English to Mandarin effortlessly speaks rather well in both languages too.

The person that can do that best is Chen Show Mao, his command of both languages is impeccable.... don't get me started on his Hokkien.

ysyap
11-01-13, 21:03
This surgeon is really quite likeable... switches from English to Mandarin effortlessly speaks rather well in both languages too.

The person that can do that best is Chen Show Mao, his command of both languages is impeccable.... don't get me started on his Hokkien.Well, the committment of surgeons are no joke... will that guy be caught up in the operating theatre and is therefore late for his 'meet the people session'? Hmmm... :scared-3: