PDA

View Full Version : Which GEN you are in? and what happens to our GEN Y

Laguna
09-01-13, 15:00
How I find our GEN Y : In general, I feel the Gen Y now are very different from my time.

They expect Govt to do most of the thing for them, love to complain, only think of work life balance, want to make money, easy money, quick money and big money. Of course, not all Gen Y are like that.

Yes, the Gen Y's life is very much more difficult in view of the inflation and rocket high property prices. I cannot find and don't know the solutions for them.

They shall go to HK, China, or even US, UK and see how life is like of Gen Y there.

http://www.lawgazette.com.sg/2012-03/362.htm

The Singapore Generation Y

Education Minister Heng Swee Keat, in a speech to students at the Singapore Management University last month, shared that business leaders in Singapore feel that Singaporean youth lack drive, confidence to venture out of their comfort zone and are not willing to try out new things.

The youth of today belong to Generation Y, born after 1980. The fifth generation after the Traditionalists (born before 1946), Early Boomers (born between 1946 to 1954), Late Boomers (born between 1954 to 1965) and Generation X (born between 1965 to 1980), possess very different characteristics and traits from the previous generations.

Gen Y as they are known, are naturally different. Often, they are born to parents who both have careers and who have fewer children and have little time for them. Their parents shower them with material possessions and provide them a comfortable standard of living. They grow up in households served by maids, attend multiple extra-curricular activities such as speech and drama, music and even golf, are accustomed to eating in fine restaurants and taking annual holidays at exotic destinations. Being born in the post independence era, they are not accustomed to the hardships faced by their parents and forefathers. They have more freedom and choices abound. It is common for these individuals to take a gap year during their education to focus on interests such as sports, the arts or volunteer work. They are very tech savvy and smart phones are part of their anatomy. The Internet, Facebook, Twitter and all manner of social media are their best and inseparable friends during every waking moment or even when they are asleep. They are confident, articulate and not fearful of speaking their minds.

As Gen Y are products are of our local education system where the emphasis is on studies and good grades, the Education Minister’s findings are not surprising. There have only been some shifts and changes in our education policies during their era, the results of which can only seen in the next decade or later. There has to be more clarity in the objectives of our education system. What do we want our future generation of Singaporeans to be? Against the backdrop of globalization and modernization, what kind of Singapore do we want to see in this generation? Do we wish to change the hard working ethos of the past generations to cater to Gen Y and the future generations? Do we want the even younger ones to continue to possess the traits and values of Gen Y?

ocean68a
09-01-13, 15:12
http://www.socialmarketing.org/newsletter/features/generation3.htm

basis above webpage, i am Gen X

ocean68a
09-01-13, 15:18
dunno why this song comes to mind when i see this topic on Generations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUdiQWxps5E

phantom_opera
09-01-13, 15:22
try this for Gen Y:

1. 2 or 3 kids
2. single income - wife not working

What choice do u have ... u have to play safe right? how to take any risk?

dun talk about gen y, my generation I know a family with 3 kids, wife not working, initially the husband has a car, then changed to weekend car, now decide not to have car ... the first kid entered Dunman High, every day must travel 1h+ from north to south to study and back ... trevel also dare not og overseas but to visit Oceanarium

single income middle class family life is really of not much quality now ...

sherlock
09-01-13, 15:22
I am Gen X and agree wth what you've written are the characteristics of Gen Y. They are brought up in an era where they are blessed with material possessions, easy $$ and does not know what they want when it is time to them to work. Some would keep studying in order to avoid joining the workforce.

They are indeed very different from the early/ late boomers and have not seen hardship from the day they were born...

On the other hand, they will struggle with the high prices of cars housing transport and hence the complaints :doh:

zeamybro
09-01-13, 15:50
I belong to Gen-Y.

Not all Gen-Y folks are as fortunate as what have been generalized here. Prior to my army days, I used to think that most singaporeans around my age should share almost similar background as me ie. Received education up to A levels or diploma, come from decent family, do not smoke, no undesirable habits and are refined.

But after entering the army, I realised there is still a large % of the citizens of my age who are not as fortunate ie. they received only up to primary/sec education, come from broken family, smoke a lot, body full of tatoos and many have ever joined the SS.

Met up with quite a few over the yrs, and apparently some are doing really well now, working as sales rep, property agents and some even set up their own businesses. They belong to the Gen-Y too, and i see them pia harder than most of their more educated peers.

thomastansb
09-01-13, 15:57
I am Gen Y and I am ashamed to be one.

They always complain 1 million HDB how to afford and 92k COE. Haven't these idiots heard of BTO and public transport? How many 1 million dollars resale HDB are there anyway? No brains.

dtrax
09-01-13, 16:04
草莓 草莓, wo ai ni
草莓世代 is here to stay

sherlock
09-01-13, 16:09
草莓 草莓, wo ai ni
草莓世代 is here to stay
我喜欢吃草莓:cool:

Laguna
09-01-13, 16:14
COE rocket again

eng81157
09-01-13, 16:22
I am Gen X and agree wth what you've written are the characteristics of Gen Y. They are brought up in an era where they are blessed with material possessions, easy $$ and does not know what they want when it is time to them to work. Some would keep studying in order to avoid joining the workforce.

They are indeed very different from the early/ late boomers and have not seen hardship from the day they were born...

On the other hand, they will struggle with the high prices of cars housing transport and hence the complaints :doh:

if that is true of you, can you imagine those scholars who are groomed to be policymakers and hold the reins of the nation? never come into contact with commoners, always soaked in the party of elites........

sherlock
09-01-13, 16:44
if that is true of you, can you imagine those scholars who are groomed to be policymakers and hold the reins of the nation? never come into contact with commoners, always soaked in the party of elites........
I've always felt a dis-connect with the elites... they do not know and understand the reality on the ground. The policies are never targetted to benefit the poor... once a while they just dish out some goodies to placate ppl

star
09-01-13, 16:56
Let me tell u all what is even more scary if one day opposition win by majority sits investors will sell sing dollar due to uncertainty in future politics and our exchange rate will go weak maybe will drop weaker than malaysia. This in term will cause market crash. People will cash out shares as exchange rate drop. Foreign workers will all leave here due to low exchange rate.

iwantgizmos
09-01-13, 17:04
Baby boomer generation are the best !

earthling
09-01-13, 17:05
[/QUOTE] Gen Y as they are known, are naturally different. Often, they are born to parents who both have careers and who have fewer children and have little time for them. Their parents shower them with material possessions and provide them a comfortable standard of living. They grow up in households served by maids, attend multiple extra-curricular activities such as speech and drama, music and even golf, are accustomed to eating in fine restaurants and taking annual holidays at exotic destinations. [/QUOTE]

Gen Y parents have a part to play too. They need to inculcate the correct values such as resilience in their children rather than leave education completely to the schools. Home education (Jia Jiao) is something that is very lacking in our present generation according to my observations.

mcmlxxvi
09-01-13, 20:23
Then 沒家教 really takes on a new meaning...

star
09-01-13, 20:32
Let me tell u all what is even more scary if one day opposition win by majority sits investors will sell sing dollar due to uncertainty in future politics and our exchange rate will go weak maybe will drop weaker than malaysia. This in term will cause market crash. People will cash out shares as exchange rate drop. Foreign workers will all leave here due to low exchange rate.

Once exchange rate weaken your money in bank also weaken. Malaysia may take this chance to increase their eggs, chicken, meat, vegetable price and make we all die pain pain. They waiting to c us fall or fail. If not why when we build rws they also follow to build lot of theme parks in JB? They are now envy and jealous with us. So pls think carefully.

howgozit
09-01-13, 21:02
I've always felt a dis-connect with the elites... they do not know and understand the reality on the ground. The policies are never targetted to benefit the poor... once a while they just dish out some goodies to placate ppl

Wah piang.... thread on gen Y turn to politics ...

Btw.... Disconnect? are you poor? what makes you say the people you call "elites" are disconnected with the poor? Have you been to a MTP session? Do you really know what people are really grappling with day to day?

In any case, should policies be formulated to target to benefit the poor or should it be targetted to benefit the general population?

howgozit
09-01-13, 21:06
Wa lau....

This is too far fetched.

What makes you think Singapore will crumble if the opposition is in power.

Have more faith in Singapore and Singaporeans.

star
09-01-13, 21:41
Investors always don't like uncertainty if u play forex and shares u will know. Investors are uncertain whether opposite will lead singapore to a higher gdp growth or not and alot of other issues. I only see in the view of investors fear.

evergreen
09-01-13, 21:53
I don't think it's a matter of upbringing. It's personal choice. In the same family, it's common for one child to be lazy and another to be hardworking.

In my experience, there is no generalisation that most Gen X are this way and most Gen Y are another way. I've worked with extremely lazy Gen X who just want high-paying jobs but aren't willing to work hard - or do any real work at all and are full of complaints. I've worked with extremely hardworking Gen Y who put a great deal of thought and pride into their work.

minority
09-01-13, 22:09

There is a generation that have not endure war or hardship or a nation climb to development.

They all see the materials stuff and feel that its not fair that they cannot get it.

We should all remember these are not birth rights. Its been work n tolled on by the generations before and we are enjoying the fruits. Mis use it we go back to square 1.

Complains or blame wont help. should focus on the long term plan and stay the course. for the growth of the nation as well a future development.

star
09-01-13, 22:16
Once investors confidence are lost we lost Singapore. The one that will benefit most is malaysia. We are not like US got money printers to revive collapsed economy, not like china with billions of people. No natural resources and we got nothing. Once come down it is very hard to go back.

price
09-01-13, 22:21
Why is this happening? Simply because we have a new generation of parents who are richer, throwing money to their kids

minority
10-01-13, 05:56
Why is this happening? Simply because we have a new generation of parents who are richer, throwing money to their kids

also becoz we have lesser kids and parents are doing better. take a look back in time.

1st Generation Migrants. From China/India/Malaysia/ not educated. Mostly here as traders/laborers etc. have to work hard to survive. Have more children coz more children means more hands to help with the business or in the fields.

2nd Generation children of the migrants who settle down. Larger family. mostly males will get further educations. Nation developing. Gone through a period of hard times of War. Have to work hard to survive. Post war mostly are HDB dwelling

3rd Generation Family size get smaller but financially better. Parents are more educated and more are white collar workers. Both parents working. typically 2 or more Kids. Can provide better for the kids. More are moving toward PC living or newer version of HDBs.

4th Generation Family size are smaller avg 1 kid. Parents mostly Degree and Diploma holders. White collar with more resources to throw at the kids. Kids grow up without having experience or parents experience the harshness previous generation had. Material abundance are available. more % grow up in PC.

price
10-01-13, 07:50
also becoz we have lesser kids and parents are doing better. take a look back in time.

1st Generation Migrants. From China/India/Malaysia/ not educated. Mostly here as traders/laborers etc. have to work hard to survive. Have more children coz more children means more hands to help with the business or in the fields.

2nd Generation children of the migrants who settle down. Larger family. mostly males will get further educations. Nation developing. Gone through a period of hard times of War. Have to work hard to survive. Post war mostly are HDB dwelling

3rd Generation Family size get smaller but financially better. Parents are more educated and more are white collar workers. Both parents working. typically 2 or more Kids. Can provide better for the kids. More are moving toward PC living or newer version of HDBs.

4th Generation Family size are smaller avg 1 kid. Parents mostly Degree and Diploma holders. White collar with more resources to throw at the kids. Kids grow up without having experience or parents experience the harshness previous generation had. Material abundance are available. more % grow up in PC.

agreed. look around, how many 21 years old are getting free Condo / EC's down payment from their parents?

During my parents' time they dun even have a TV at home.

Emma
10-01-13, 08:16
which era are Gen X and Y born in?
Y - is 70s and 80s?
And X is prior?

Shanhz
10-01-13, 09:20
I belong to Gen-Y.

Not all Gen-Y folks are as fortunate as what have been generalized here. Prior to my army days, I used to think that most singaporeans around my age should share almost similar background as me ie. Received education up to A levels or diploma, come from decent family, do not smoke, no undesirable habits and are refined.

But after entering the army, I realised there is still a large % of the citizens of my age who are not as fortunate ie. they received only up to primary/sec education, come from broken family, smoke a lot, body full of tatoos and many have ever joined the SS.

Met up with quite a few over the yrs, and apparently some are doing really well now, working as sales rep, property agents and some even set up their own businesses. They belong to the Gen-Y too, and i see them pia harder than most of their more educated peers.

educated peers usually dun dare to venture out due to opportunity. this is the irony. the big buck earners usually not so educated. but education assures you of a decent middle class life.

army does a good job of opening our eyes to diff parts of society (which usually we do not see, esp in elite sec sch/jc/poly)

Shanhz
10-01-13, 09:22
Wa lau....

This is too far fetched.

What makes you think Singapore will crumble if the opposition is in power.

Have more faith in Singapore and Singaporeans.

singapore will crumble if the CURRENT opposition is in power

Shanhz
10-01-13, 09:23

so maybe i should stay in my HDB and not move to PC? :)

iwantgizmos
10-01-13, 10:49
which era are Gen X and Y born in?
Y - is 70s and 80s?
And X is prior?
As quoted in article:

The youth of today belong to Generation Y, born after 1980. The fifth generation after the Traditionalists (born before 1946), Early Boomers (born between 1946 to 1954), Late Boomers (born between 1954 to 1965) and Generation X (born between 1965 to 1980), possess very different characteristics and traits from the previous generations.

zzz1
10-01-13, 18:50
singapore will crumble if the CURRENT opposition is in power
What make u say so ? Care to share your view and perspective ?

Shanhz
11-01-13, 07:45
What make u say so ? Care to share your view and perspective ?

look at the opposition. other than fighting for a pie that is already small, what have they been constructively doing? if they cannot even unite to win ONE seat, what else can they do? dun get me wrong. i am not pro PAP, i am in fact pro check against PAP. but i believe we need to have a credible oppo. the current batch, save for a very small handful, are not credible.

of coz that brings us to the nvr ending argument that PAP should give oppo to grow, blah blah blah. let's not go there.

the likelihood of us having a strong oppo is when the current PAP splits into two, perhaps when the old one is gone.

mcmlxxvi
11-01-13, 09:38
Can we please don't turn it into another politics talk

thx

howgozit
11-01-13, 10:14
educated peers usually dun dare to venture out due to opportunity. this is the irony. the big buck earners usually not so educated. but education assures you of a decent middle class life.

army does a good job of opening our eyes to diff parts of society (which usually we do not see, esp in elite sec sch/jc/poly)

This is not true.

Big bucks earners come from a whole spectrum of educational levels. There are opportunities for earning big bucks in many areas.

The difference is that being well educated gives a person a wider choice of areas to venture that the less educated could not even go.

There are boundless examples of graduates even lawyers giving up successful corporate careers to become enterpreneurs., some even hawkers. But we choose to focus on the success of the less educated because l suppose their stories are more inspirational.