PDA

View Full Version : Singapore tops quality of living in Asia: survey

vboy
10-12-12, 11:52
Singapore tops quality of living in Asia: survey
Dec 7, 2012 - PropertyGuru.com.sg
Comment E-mail to friend Bookmark & Share

By Romesh Navaratnarajah:

Singapore has once again topped the list for quality of living across Asia, a position it also held last year, based on the latest Mercer survey.

The study, which serves as a guide for multinational firms and other organisations that compensate employees when assigning them abroad, ranked Singapore 25th globally, with Vienna, Zurich and Auckland taking the top three spots.

Apart from Auckland, a few other Asia-Pacific cities surpassed Singapore in the rankings – Sydney sits comfortably in 10th place, while Wellington, Melbourne and Perth took 13th, 18th and 21st spots respectively.

Other Asian cities that made the top 100 were Seoul, Hong Kong, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur and Shanghai together with Kobe, Tokyo, Osaka and Yokohama in Japan.

Notably, Mercer’s index listed Singapore as the city with the best infrastructure in the world. Tied in second place were Munich and Frankfurt.

Infrastructure significantly affects the quality of living for expatriates, said Slagin Parakatil, Senior Researcher at Mercer.

“While often taken for granted when functioning to a high standard, a city's infrastructure can generate severe hardship when it is deficient.”

While some Asia-Pacific cities may have made significant investment in public services and infrastructure to lure foreigners, multinationals, tourists and expatriates, “a considerable number of Asian cities rank in the bottom quartile, mainly due to high political volatility, poor infrastructure and obsolete public services”, noted Phil Stanley, Mercer's Asia-Pacific Global Mobility Leader.

roly8
10-12-12, 11:57
no nature, river & mountain....no talk.:tongue3:

DC33_2008
10-12-12, 12:08
Good news for all property owners:D

vboy
10-12-12, 12:19
Notably, Mercer’s index listed Singapore as the city with the best infrastructure in the world.

Thats HUGE news!

Shanhz
10-12-12, 13:04
Notably, Mercer’s index listed Singapore as the city with the best infrastructure in the world.

Thats HUGE news!

sinkies are whining. who's correct?

mcmlxxvi
10-12-12, 13:36
Sure. We eat $2.50 chicken rice for lunch and dinner. Breakfast just eat loaf of Gardenia over several days. $6 per day only sustenance.

Even angmo loves our chix rice. They 99% all swear by it. The other 1% are unfortunately allergic to chicken.

So how can our std of living be low??

mcmlxxvi
10-12-12, 13:37
no nature, river & mountain....no talk.:tongue3:

Natura @ Hill view is your answer. Nature, mountain (ok hill), river (pool).

sh
10-12-12, 13:44

Quiet for long time... suddenly so active again... welcome back:cheers1:

DC33_2008
10-12-12, 13:46
The hillview area has really gone up alot. Just surprise to realise that my FH condo overlooking the bukit timah hill already hitting $1xxxpsft in the recent caveat for a 1xxxsqft unit. ;)

chestnut
10-12-12, 13:56
The hillview area has really gone up alot. Just surprise to realise that my FH condo overlooking the bukit timah hill already hitting $1xxxpsft in the recent caveat for a 1xxxsqft unit. ;)

You have to thank FEO for that. :D

indomie
10-12-12, 13:57
Sure. We eat $2.50 chicken rice for lunch and dinner. Breakfast just eat loaf of Gardenia over several days. $6 per day only sustenance.

Even angmo loves our chix rice. They 99% all swear by it. The other 1% are unfortunately allergic to chicken.

So how can our std of living be low??
The other 1% is on char siu rice diet

Shanhz
10-12-12, 14:05

actually got cheaper. every day curry+rice+gardenia. actually, no frills brand the bread cheaper.

mcmlxxvi
10-12-12, 14:06
Quiet for long time... suddenly so active again... welcome back:cheers1:

Thank you brudder.

I've always been around.

Diligently delivering my 10-month Community Service series once every month.

If I had left the forum for good, I wouldn't be able to cook up that part X saga of a story.

Now that I've completed my Community Service, I am back again like before. Passion for CM no less... Oops, I mean, MM.

mcmlxxvi
10-12-12, 14:07
The other 1% is on char siu rice diet

This one not suitable for expat brudders from UAE...

Regulators
11-12-12, 00:39
All MMs shot through the roof in px , you must be having a bountiful harvest
Thank you brudder.

I've always been around.

Diligently delivering my 10-month Community Service series once every month.

If I had left the forum for good, I wouldn't be able to cook up that part X saga of a story.

Now that I've completed my Community Service, I am back again like before. Passion for CM no less... Oops, I mean, MM.

roly8
11-12-12, 08:35
wa.. ! don't tell me you market natura now?
:D

did you buy that FH condo few years ago?

mcmlxxvi
11-12-12, 10:37
All MMs shot through the roof in px , you must be having a bountiful harvest

On paper only, senior. On paper only...

'Property is meant to be bought, not sold' - jlrx :cheers2:

DC33_2008
11-12-12, 10:40
I paid only $500psf.
wa.. ! don't tell me you market natura now?
:D

did you buy that FH condo few years ago?

roly8
11-12-12, 11:09
I paid only $500psf.

OMG!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

:scared-5::scared-5::scared-5::scared-5::scared-5:

DC33_2008
11-12-12, 11:17
Like MCM... said, "Property is to be bought and not sold".
OMG!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

:scared-5::scared-5::scared-5::scared-5::scared-5:

roly8
11-12-12, 15:29
yes... your position is pretty safe from any dip (big or small), imo. :D

Shanhz
11-12-12, 15:39
yes... your position is pretty safe from any dip (big or small), imo. :D

bro, YOUR position is the best. dip (big or small), you also bo la sah.

roly8
11-12-12, 15:49
bro, YOUR position is the best. dip (big or small), you also bo la sah.

don't make me paiseh :ashamed1::ashamed1:

hehehe :D:D

Shanhz
11-12-12, 15:53
don't make me paiseh :ashamed1::ashamed1:

hehehe :D:D

haha, bro, no need paiseh. sometimes i also dunno to envy you or pity you. thankfully i dun have the enviable position of holding that much cash at any point of my life (investments not counting), so i never had this problem.

hold cash, also worry. invest, also worry.

damned if you do and damned if you don't... jialat. :D

roly8
11-12-12, 19:14
haha, bro, no need paiseh. sometimes i also dunno to envy you or pity you. thankfully i dun have the enviable position of holding that much cash at any point of my life (investments not counting), so i never had this problem.

hold cash, also worry. invest, also worry.

damned if you do and damned if you don't... jialat. :D

patience is the key...

:D:D:D