PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on installing LED lights for your home

Daniel33
15-11-12, 13:41
Hi,

Whats your opinion on installing LED lights for your homes? good idea? bad idea? pls share
thanks.

I personally thinks that it a good idea because it looks nicer and save electricity.

DC33_2008
15-11-12, 13:45
LEDs save energy but you must assess it as a system? The Diode can only operate in DC and therefore you will need a AC-DC converter which will have losses in the form heat generation and losses. Research first and do not buy cheap ones too. .
Hi,

Whats your opinion on installing LED lights for your homes? good idea? bad idea? pls share
thanks.

I personally thinks that it a good idea because it looks nicer and save electricity.

chiaberry
15-11-12, 14:43
I installed LED down-lights (warm light) in my home. The ambience is quite similar to halogen. The advantage being that the LED lights generate much less heat and are more energy-saving. I regretted installing a few halogen lights in some places (at the advice of my ID) and will have them changed to LED when the bulbs blow (my system can buy the adapter to change the halogen to LED lights).

indomie
15-11-12, 16:19
U want to safe money... Go to authorised phillips lighting suppllier in jakarta or batam. Just hand carry across to sg. Then ask licensed electicians to install them.

regency321
15-11-12, 16:47
My contractor and electrician both recommended normal energy saving bulbs will do... may not be worth it to get LED as upfront cost is too high and no guarantee they will last as long as stated. (Got any LED will one-to-one replacement if spoilt within the 5 or 10 years indicated?)

wendytan
15-11-12, 16:48
i would go for CANDLE LIGHTS :rolleyes:

lifeline
15-11-12, 18:06
hi Daniel33,

some previous discussions for your reference:

http://www.condosingapore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12901&page=15

http://www.condosingapore.com/forums/showpost.php?p=232797&postcount=150

in general, leds are useful esp for own home. just need to know the pros and cons. also buying from overseas esp china and online is very cheap, just be prepared to write off any spoilt ones, etc - may be still worth it.

triple70
15-11-12, 19:40
LED and Compact flourescent lamps have almost similar Lumens per watt, meaning there is insignificant energy savings compared to flourescent lightings. The reason why LED looks so much brighter is that LED comes with reflectors, flourescent without!

LED is a good replacement for halogen lamps, simply due to it's less heat signature. The issue today is about the compatibility of the driver (transformer). Using a halogen transformer tends to burn out the LED unusually fast. The best is still to get an integrated unit where the LED comes with its own driver.

zzz1
16-11-12, 06:30
Hi,

thanks.

If your renovation package is lump sum , go for led ( don get the china type , Taiwan is ok)

If you plan to convert existing , then not worth .. The cost of conversion vs the saving in respect to period of time don really justify ...

Daniel33
21-11-12, 13:56
thanks for all your comments. seems like there are differing opinions on LED. great info but still confused... :beats-me-man:

gracegan
06-01-13, 14:15
If you are looking for a company that offer total LED lighting solutions, check out
http://vtxsolutions.webs.com/ or call 96526095

minority
06-01-13, 23:11
U want to safe money... Go to authorised phillips lighting suppllier in jakarta or batam. Just hand carry across to sg. Then ask licensed electicians to install them.

how much cheaper?

minority
06-01-13, 23:15
I used LED lights but so far saving is ok. but thing is up front cost is higher. anyone compared florcent verses led power saving?

spikey69
07-01-13, 17:54
LED lights are great - cost savings are negligible but the important thing for me is that they last much longer...which means I have to change the lights less when they blow...which can be a real pain if your lights are in hard to reach places.

lajia
07-01-13, 18:03
You are rite to say that LEDs have longer life span but unfortunately, the surrounding components are always failing due to the heat generated. Hence, u still have to change the lighting modules even if the LEDs are working fine.
This is the concern now...:p

LED lights are great - cost savings are negligible but the important thing for me is that they last much longer...which means I have to change the lights less when they blow...which can be a real pain if your lights are in hard to reach places.