PDA

View Full Version : PSLE result release on 22-11-12!

Pages : [1] 2

East Lover
15-11-12, 11:00
i know this is not kiasu parent forum, but this is my beloved place to share, to talk.

just to share with all the bro, sis here, PSLE result will be released one week later!

wish all the kids are doing well. wish my boy boy scores well :D

roly8
15-11-12, 11:09
i fail my PSLE...
:banghead:

radha08
15-11-12, 11:24
Haha 1 week more my daughter kan cheong....now at her sch watching the p6 graduation
Ceremony my daughter doing the gangam style dance :D

East Lover
15-11-12, 12:58
Haha 1 week more my daughter kan cheong....now at her sch watching the p6 graduation
Ceremony my daughter doing the gangam style dance :D
oh, long time haven't checked my boy's school bag - better check when is the graduation....

just realised this is the last week of schooling of his primary school! time really fliessss :rolleyes:

will you go together with her to collect result on 22-11-12?

Arcachon
15-11-12, 13:00
Dear parent, do not wait till PSLE result to chose your child Secondary school, your child need a higher score to get in the secondary for their choice.

East Lover
15-11-12, 13:14
Dear parent, do not wait till PSLE result to chose your child Secondary school, your child need a higher score to get in the secondary for their choice.
sorry don't really understand... can elaborate a bit? any tips to share?

CondoWE
20-11-12, 15:07
2 more days....result is coming :scared-3: !

Will your kids and you, as a parent..become veri stress :scared-4: !

radha08
20-11-12, 20:57
2 more days....result is coming :scared-3: !

Will your kids and you, as a parent..become veri stress :scared-4: !

no stress ahh...pasir ris got many sec school...:D:D:D

Arcachon
21-11-12, 02:24
SINGAPORE - The Ministry of Education (MOE) will discontinue its practice of revealing the names of the top-scoring pupils in all national examinations when it releases the results, the ministry said in a statement today.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Edvantage/Story/A1Story20121120-384754.html

chestnut
21-11-12, 05:26
sorry don't really understand... can elaborate a bit? any tips to share?

Sis, I believe arachon referring to this

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2012/05/direct-admission-exercises-for-sec-sch-jc-poly.php

Direct admission.

CondoWE
21-11-12, 10:17
no stress ahh...pasir ris got many sec school...:D:D:D

Hahaha..I'm still staying at West and may or may not shift to East la :doh: !

buttercarp
21-11-12, 11:52
SINGAPORE - The Ministry of Education (MOE) will discontinue its practice of revealing the names of the top-scoring pupils in all national examinations when it releases the results, the ministry said in a statement today.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Edvantage/Story/A1Story20121120-384754.html

I don't see why there is a need to do so.
Are we going to stop honoring successful people?

They also do not allow banding of secondary schools now.
How to make an informed decision when applying to secondary schools now?

My gal's sec school don't even tell them their position in class.
They don't even publish the average GPA score.
Everything is thru hearsay.
How to know where your child stands in this kind of situation?
Sometimes one needs a wake up call if one is faring badly.

Arcachon
21-11-12, 12:26
I don't see why there is a need to do so.
Are we going to stop honoring successful people?

They also do not allow banding of secondary schools now.
How to make an informed decision when applying to secondary schools now?

My gal's sec school don't even tell them their position in class.
They don't even publish the average GPA score.
Everything is thru hearsay.
How to know where your child stands in this kind of situation?
Sometimes one needs a wake up call if one is faring badly.

All school are good school, but some school are more-good(better) school.

In France there are 4 band, repeat, good, better, best.

carbuncle
21-11-12, 12:39
can try invite the form teacher to lim kopi

East Lover
21-11-12, 13:14
just to check, any one will go to school tomorrow if your son/daugher is P6 this year?

My son initially didn't want me to go, but last night he said ok, but warned me not expect too much... :p

radha08
21-11-12, 13:25
both me and my wife going....:) ..it will either be a proud day for me..:) ..or...:doh: ...but whatever it is WE created our little girl so WE will always be there for her...:cheers5:

zeamybro
21-11-12, 13:37
Singapore TOP Chinese student - Ms EastLover's son
Singapore TOP Indian student - Mr Radha's daughter

Good luck bro and sis... I din do well in my PSLE but that didnt really have a significant impact on my O, A and uni results... Good student doesn mean a good worker... Or good earner

buttercarp
21-11-12, 13:49
just to check, any one will go to school tomorrow if your son/daugher is P6 this year?

My son initially didn't want me to go, but last night he said ok, but warned me not expect too much... :p

For both my kids, I went to the school with them.
It was a nail biting experience.
Worse feeling than signing OTP.

Laguna
21-11-12, 13:52

yes, it is good to be with them,
this is a very important milestone at this age for them

if they are good, encourage them
if not up to expectation...be by their side

carbuncle
21-11-12, 16:09

Good luck bro and sis... I din do well in my PSLE but that didnt really have a significant impact on my O, A and uni results... Good student doesn mean a good worker... Or good earner

well said. i'm the best example .... 263 pts so what ... now jobless.

Laguna
21-11-12, 16:21
My girl :268, we said ok lah, meet expectation
My son : 218, we were so happy...above expectation

buttercarp
21-11-12, 16:34

Jobless but still got regular income, so not counted as jobless.

Actually come to think of it, those school mates who were high flyers in school, most of them are earning comfortable salaries but some of those who did average in school are making obscene amount of money now.

zeamybro
21-11-12, 16:37
I got 246 for PSLE. My mum teared cos I couldn't get into SAP school like my elder siblings. But when I got 8A1s for my O levels, she stopped worrying thereafter. And when it came to work, I always feel i underperform and concluded myself as just a below avg worker. I m better on my own.

cavaliver
21-11-12, 16:57
Actually come to think of it, those school mates who were high flyers in school, most of them are earning comfortable salaries but some of those who did average in school are making obscene amount of money now.

I agreed :p

chestnut
21-11-12, 17:02
I damn confused.... :confused: u have so many props, u analysed like crazy, u argue very well... And u underperform??:confused: :confused:

The only thing I can see is only the QE portion... If not, how to underperform??

I very blur???

I got 246 for PSLE. My mum teared cos I couldn't get into SAP school like my elder siblings. But when I got 8A1s for my O levels, she stopped worrying thereafter. And when it came to work, I always feel i underperform and concluded myself as just a below avg worker. I m better on my own.

zeamybro
21-11-12, 17:06
I damn confused.... :confused: u have so many props, u analysed like crazy, u argue very well... And u underperform??:confused: :confused:

The only thing I can see is only the QE portion... If not, how to underperform??

I very blur???

What is QE? :confused:

lifeline
21-11-12, 18:01
What is QE? :confused:

i think he meant he cannot see your EQ portion. right, bro chestnut? he must be typing too fast.

zzz1
21-11-12, 18:12
Best is to be jobless and yet got income . .let the money do the working,.. .:cheers5:

chestnut
21-11-12, 18:12
i think he meant he cannot see your EQ portion. right, bro chestnut? he must be typing too fast.

Yup... iPad is amazing... Now still in meeting.. Lucky came w my guy... He listening, I typing... Hahahaha

lifeline
21-11-12, 18:21
Yup... iPad is amazing... Now still in meeting.. Lucky came w my guy... He listening, I typing... Hahahaha

thanks for being the big brother here !
so concerned for fellow forummers and continue to share !!!
can really tell that you are very good at multitasking !!!

zzz1
21-11-12, 18:22
In life or work place there always be one leader , even among the elite , Depend on your playing field as such ... So depend who your competitors are..

zeamybro
21-11-12, 19:27

Oh.. I think my EQ is alright, haha, otherwise I would have tonnes of issues with my tenants (except for that Indian lady)

What I meant earlier was that a student who excels in sch does not necc mean he will excel in his job. This is becos in sch, he only needs to work hard, study smart, sit for his own exams and his efforts would be largely reflected in his results. But at work, there are many other factors involved besides his own capabilities and efforts ie. joining the right industry, joining the right organization, meeting the right boss, working with the right team mates and TIMING etc. yes u r right EQ is impt but I believe there much more than that...

East Lover
21-11-12, 19:33

Thank you my bro!

Today I busy like crazy as I will be away for 2 days, tomorrow for my son, friday for dbr :p

I told myself, 考得好,不可喜出望外,靠不好,不准气急败坏 :D done is done, 老天爷保佑吧! 人生的路还长着呢 :cheers5:

East Lover
21-11-12, 19:40
My bro, u are good! I like the way u do things, analysts things and the positive attitude :)

Your mom is surely proud of u lah :cheers5:

By the way, 245 can go victoria already. Good school in east :D

Oh.. I think my EQ is alright, haha, otherwise I would have tonnes of issues with my tenants (except for that Indian lady)

What I meant earlier was that a student who excels in sch does not necc mean he will excel in his job. This is becos in sch, he only needs to work hard, study smart, sit for his own exams and his efforts would be largely reflected in his results. But at work, there are many other factors involved besides his own capabilities and efforts ie. joining the right industry, joining the right organization, meeting the right boss, working with the right team mates and TIMING etc. yes u r right EQ is impt but I believe there much more than that...

chestnut
21-11-12, 21:23

Bro, I share my humble experience....

1. Understanding the human behavior - when dealing with people, u need to know body language... If u master that art - visual, vocal... U can tell how they think and 'predict' their behavior... This is a very important tool... Next analyse what type of person - driver, analytical, amiable, expressive... This are the 4 quadrants people fall into... There is another field which is flexible, in which a person can switch among the quadrants....
It will take me weeks to share w you... Read up on body language.... Then u can size a person out....

2. Political... Sometimes we get caught in that,.. U need to master this... Play politics for good and not evil... U will be rewarded... Learn when to agree and when to 'disagree' in a diplomatic fashion and still get your point across.

3. Opportunities... Some opportunities are given - size it when it comes. It is an art form to be able to spot opportunities.. With practices, it can be done... And u will hone the skill to be able to see opportunities...some opportunities are made... Demonstrating skills like ability to interact, analytical mind skills, ability to have your boss like u... So when opportunities come, it is yours.

4. Skills - the ability to have skills which your peers do not have which makes u shine above them. At the same time, having them like u... Or this is a fine art....

And the list goes on... But the above to me are key to success both in work and out of work...

TCSS here....

You are already way above your peers.... But work do form a very important part of our lives and it affects us because a main portion of our time awake is spent at work...

Cheers :cheers4:

radha08
21-11-12, 21:51
All school are good school, but some school are more-good(better) school.

In France there are 4 band, repeat, good, better, best.

in condo.singapore there also are 4 bands....hdb...ec...pc...landed....:D:D:D:D:D....hope the weather is nice in france:D

radha08
21-11-12, 21:54

tks bro if she doesnt make it i will just teach her to play the guitar with me at pasir ris beach park...:D:D:D:D:santana:

radha08
21-11-12, 21:56
My girl :268, we said ok lah, meet expectation
My son : 218, we were so happy...above expectation

bro if u did psle u would get 288...i am pretty sure cos u are a perfectionist....:cheers4::cheers4::cheers4:

radha08
21-11-12, 21:57
can try invite the form teacher to lim kopi

what if he is a cute sexy little fella then lim what....:hornybastard:

radha08
21-11-12, 22:01

u NOT the only one with a GUY in ur life..:hornybastard:....sorry just in the mood:D:D:D

zeamybro
21-11-12, 22:04
Bro, I share my humble experience....

1. Understanding the human behavior - when dealing with people, u need to know body language... If u master that art - visual, vocal... U can tell how they think and 'predict' their behavior... This is a very important tool... Next analyse what type of person - driver, analytical, amiable, expressive... This are the 4 quadrants people fall into... There is another field which is flexible, in which a person can switch among the quadrants....
It will take me weeks to share w you... Read up on body language.... Then u can size a person out....

2. Political... Sometimes we get caught in that,.. U need to master this... Play politics for good and not evil... U will be rewarded... Learn when to agree and when to 'disagree' in a diplomatic fashion and still get your point across.

3. Opportunities... Some opportunities are given - size it when it comes. It is an art form to be able to spot opportunities.. With practices, it can be done... And u will hone the skill to be able to see opportunities...some opportunities are made... Demonstrating skills like ability to interact, analytical mind skills, ability to have your boss like u... So when opportunities come, it is yours.

4. Skills - the ability to have skills which your peers do not have which makes u shine above them. At the same time, having them like u... Or this is a fine art....

And the list goes on... But the above to me are key to success both in work and out of work...

TCSS here....

You are already way above your peers.... But work do form a very important part of our lives and it affects us because a main portion of our time awake is spent at work...

Cheers :cheers4:

Nut bro... I am really touched and grateful that u r willing to spend the time and effort to type all these out to share with me/us ... If only I have you as my mentor in real life. Thanks... I will print this out in office and pin it up on my white board as constant reminders :ashamed1:

chestnut
21-11-12, 22:07
u NOT the only one with a GUY in ur life..:hornybastard:....sorry just in the mood:D:D:D

Hahaha... Good one...

I hope 'happy' people don't hit on me..

:cheers4: :cheers4:

I am a magnet... Opposite attracts...

Hahaha

radha08
21-11-12, 22:10
Nut bro... I am really touched and grateful that u r willing to spend the time and effort to type all these out to share with me/us ... If only I have you as my mentor in real life. Thanks... I will print this out in office and pin it up on my white board as constant reminders :ashamed1:

yes he is truly an all rounder...:cheers5:...i am still trying to figure out is he a CEO...runs his own business...property tycoon...or a ROCK star....:scared-1:...who made his first million doing the....ganggam style....:D:D:D:D:D

kane
21-11-12, 22:18
good luck to all parents and students.

chestnut
21-11-12, 22:33

Bro, trust me, u will make it in life.... I was fortunate. I was thrown into the deep blue sea at work... When I was started work, whenever I spoke with my boss about a problem, his reply was, "so how". I :confused: , u boss wat, u suppose to provide me solution(that was in my mind)... Than he said, "ok, solve the problem". Then I, huh?:confused: :confused: and left his room and tried to figure out the answer... From then on, I never went to his room with a problem... Went in to TCSS and also a solution to a problem to get his blessings....

That is why I am so analytical..... Serious.... I have made tons of mistake only to learn.. So I am quite a hardened man.... I realized that life is about finding solutions and not bitching about the problem... Because bitching never solves the problem... Hahaha

Working life also requires luck, but u can also make luck... With skills and seizing and making opportunities... We control our destiny... The only thing we cannot control is death.... Be optimistic (people love to be with optimistic people), be different for the better - so u stand out from the crowd. Know what your boss likes - but don't go overboard to be deemed to be tripod...

I am an ordinary person like u.

Wish u best in your job, bro...
Take care !!!!!

:cheers4:

chestnut
21-11-12, 22:36
yes he is truly an all rounder...:cheers5:...i am still trying to figure out is he a CEO...runs his own business...property tycoon...or a ROCK star....:scared-1:...who made his first million doing the....ganggam style....:D:D:D:D:D

Bro, I am one of you... A true blue Singaporean who served in the Singapore Armed Forces in NS for 2 1/2 years.... Completed 13 yr cycle....

zeamybro
21-11-12, 22:38
Bro, trust me, u will make it in life.... I was fortunate. I was thrown into the deep blue sea at work... When I was started work, whenever I spoke with my boss about a problem, his reply was, "so how". I :confused: , u boss wat, u suppose to provide me solution(that was in my mind)... Than he said, "ok, solve the problem". Then I, huh?:confused: :confused: and left his room and tried to figure out the answer... From then on, I never went to his room with a problem... Went in to TCSS and also a solution to a problem to get his blessings....

That is why I am so analytical..... Serious.... I have made tons of mistake only to learn.. So I am quite a hardened man.... I realized that life is about finding solutions and not bitching about the problem... Because bitching never solves the problem... Hahaha

Working life also requires luck, but u can also make luck... With skills and seizing and making opportunities... We control our destiny... The only thing we cannot control is death.... Be optimistic (people love to be with optimistic people), be different for the better - so u stand out from the crowd. Know what your boss likes - but don't go overboard to be deemed to be tripod...

I am an ordinary person like u.

Wish u best in your job, bro...
Take care !!!!!

Thanks once again for the selfless sharing. Will bear the advices deeply in mind :cheers4: :cheers4: :cheers4:

Al the best to those taking results in a few hrs time :cheers5: :cheers5: :cheers5: :cheers5: :cheers5: :cheers5:

chestnut
21-11-12, 22:45
Good luck to all parents and students... Remember result is something but not everything.. Loving the kid for what he or she is more important than results....

:cheers5: :cheers5:

Wishing all of u the best...

azeoprop
21-11-12, 22:46
Still remembered last time I got my PSLE result, it was a total disappointment.

:(

radha08
21-11-12, 22:53
Bro, I am one of you... A true blue Singaporean who served in the Singapore Armed Forces in NS for 2 1/2 years.... Completed 13 yr cycle....

cheers bro i believe if i served 2 1/2 years i would be a bit more accomplished...but i served 6 years as a regular in the RSAF....the skys the limit they used to say....maybe for pilots...but i was a bomb designer....:D:D:D...and most of the time my little head was in places the sun dont shine...:D:D:D

auroraborealis
21-11-12, 23:43
gd luck to all kan cheong parents :cheers5:
dun worry too much, the system's changing, more quality 'foreign' educational opportunities available locally these days
the subsidies still lack but i feel will catch up soon

iwantgizmos
22-11-12, 00:44
Rise and shine parents...
This is the day !!!

CondoWE
22-11-12, 08:55
left 2 hours only....more and more butterflies in stomach now..:simmering: !

btw, are we, as a parents allow to go in the school with the kid to collect the PSLE result :rolleyes: ?

carbuncle
22-11-12, 09:10
thx bro nutnut for again selfless sharing.

i know and practise a lot of what he says. such that i hv often been labelled the blue eyed boy at work, with some jealousy from coworkers both male and female. am popular esp with female bosses and CEOs. they have been known to use the words CUTE, FUNNY and INTERESTING to describe me to other colleagues. Some even go straight to the point I REALLY ENJOY WORKING WITH YOU. so coworkers always ask me to present solutions or proposals in the CEO office. darn sianz. but it also taught me to really be prepared to answer all sorts of question plus dig into how the bosses minds work. so its a good thing.

however, those bitching and red eyes and back stabbing plus credit stealing etc as well as cmi bosses also another reason why i hesitate to rejoin the rat race. if i return, my objective will be two prong. to find value in what i m doing plus to boost up the reserves funds.

fxxk all those office politiking.

carbuncle
22-11-12, 09:12
TO all PSLE Parents

Deep breath

Relax

Expect the worst

Then u will be good.

buttercarp
22-11-12, 09:15
left 2 hours only....more and more butterflies in stomach now..:simmering: !

btw, are we, as a parents allow to go in the school with the kid to collect the PSLE result :rolleyes: ?

From my experience, parents go to the hall, principal announce pass rate and top students ( dunno whether now allowed or not), then instruct us how to apply for sec sch.
Then all proceed to the respective classrooms.
Parents stand outside the classroom and wait.
Teachers will hand the result slip to the kids in the classroom.

iwantgizmos
22-11-12, 09:16
duplicated post---

East Lover
22-11-12, 09:52
In seminar now.. Not listening at all. I will take cab to my son's school later. Skip nice lunch here :D

One more hour!!!

phantom_opera
22-11-12, 09:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux0vyv7dEGk

sis ... enjoy this music in the taxi

chestnut
22-11-12, 10:01
Bro, understand... The difficult portion is the peers... And that is anothe art altogether.... Once it is achieved, u move up the ladder, they become ex-peers and u have another set of new peer to adapt and work with but your $ goes up... Now imagine u move up even higher, u have less peers to please. Hahahahaha...
But some people cannot do it, refuse to do it, or even think it is incorrect..
I always say, if the company requires this and u cannot adapt, then move on to another company, because u can never progress.... If u refuse to move on, accept your destiny and Be contented..l but don't bitch, it will bring u sorrow...

Sad but true.... That's life... U need to know what makes u happy...

:cheers4: :cheers4:

thx bro nutnut for again selfless sharing.

i know and practise a lot of what he says. such that i hv often been labelled the blue eyed boy at work, with some jealousy from coworkers both male and female. am popular esp with female bosses and CEOs. they have been known to use the words CUTE, FUNNY and INTERESTING to describe me to other colleagues. Some even go straight to the point I REALLY ENJOY WORKING WITH YOU. so coworkers always ask me to present solutions or proposals in the CEO office. darn sianz. but it also taught me to really be prepared to answer all sorts of question plus dig into how the bosses minds work. so its a good thing.

however, those bitching and red eyes and back stabbing plus credit stealing etc as well as cmi bosses also another reason why i hesitate to rejoin the rat race. if i return, my objective will be two prong. to find value in what i m doing plus to boost up the reserves funds.

fxxk all those office politiking.

chestnut
22-11-12, 10:04
From my experience, parents go to the hall, principal announce pass rate and top students ( dunno whether now allowed or not), then instruct us how to apply for sec sch.

Mine was, in hall, they announce the top students.. Parents and tudents there.... Then proceed to classroom - student only. Parent wait outside... Once all results issued, child go out and tell parents... Child upon receiving result can signal to parents or text.... Depends u kan cheong or not...

All the best... Lucky mine over Liao...:cheers4: :cheers4:

nav14
22-11-12, 10:48

Now even the teachers are not allowed to tell their fellow teachers who is the top student or their scores. Schools will not longer be allowed to put up honour rolls in their lobbies displaying the list of top students for all the years. No more banners by schools annnouncing their results. What extreme MOE has gone to. If they are really sincere in reducing the pressure then why not do a balloting system for entry to all secondary schools. 4 A's can apply to certain category of schools and then ballot, 4A* another category, etc.

CondoWE
22-11-12, 10:58
I just reached my kid school and surprisingly find that the hall is already full of parent liao..:scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: !

East Lover
22-11-12, 10:58
Still on the way!!! Ai yoh...

East Lover
22-11-12, 11:05
Still on the way!!! Ai yoh...
Still In PIE! Hope not to late for son's collection :)
My maid go already. Hubby busy in meeting :D wonder if he can concentrate??

buttercarp
22-11-12, 11:06
I just reached my kid school and surprisingly find that the hall is already full of parent liao..:scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: !

The last time I was there at 10 am.
Must mingle with other parents to calm my nerves.

Laguna
22-11-12, 11:29
I wish all children have good results
and all parents happy.

If the result is not up to expectation, don't show your frustration and upset, give your children the strongest support.

buttercarp
22-11-12, 11:31
Remember that academic excellence does not necessarily equate to financial success.

radha08
22-11-12, 11:44
Siao liao 223....my daughter very upset:doh:

Allthepies
22-11-12, 11:45
Remember that academic excellence does not necessarily equate to financial success.
this i strongly agree.academic excellence will mean tat u r an excellent worker and r trained to be a good worker!

buttercarp
22-11-12, 11:52
this i strongly agree.academic excellence will mean tat u r an excellent worker and r trained to be a good worker!

I somehow think that academic excellence may be stifling as the scholar having been at the top is afraid of falling and thus is not willing to take risks.
Those who have failed before are more adventurous and have the "nothing to lose" mentalit˙ so they are more willing to take risks and explore other options.

buttercarp
22-11-12, 11:54

What was her second choice?
First choice is TKGS, right?- can still try and appeal.

Laguna
22-11-12, 12:06

To share on the allocation of seats

If say, u are 240 and the cut off point is for school A is 242 and B is 238.

U put A as first choice but could not get in, you may not even get into B as well, as
1. all the seats in B could be gone,
2. depends on how many students opt second choice for B and their marks.

The second round for B could be higher.

Find out the school of choice what is their preferred CCA would be a good round for appeal.

carbuncle
22-11-12, 12:07
radha dont despair. she scored better than laguna son whom i believe is doing quite well. :P

buttercarp
22-11-12, 12:08
I heard the highest this year is 285.
It is printed in the slip.

zzz1
22-11-12, 12:16

u sure ? seen many new employee, with excellent results and yet produce shit work. And yet very proud and over confidents . Ask few questions in their presentation but fumble all the way.

I believe the right and positive attitude and mindset produce excellent worker instead.

zzz1
22-11-12, 12:20

ok la...

nows aday, alot of kid are self imposing alot of pressure...tell her that gem needs time to polish and in time to come, she will excel.

nav14
22-11-12, 12:24
To share on the allocation of seats

If say, u are 240 and the cut off point is for school A is 242 and B is 238.

U put A as first choice but could not get in, you may not even get into B as well, as
1. all the seats in B could be gone,
2. depends on how many students opt second choice for B and their marks.

The second round for B could be higher.

Find out the school of choice what is their preferred CCA would be a good round for appeal.

It does not work this way any more. Used to be that way. Yours can be 6th choice and say the 6th choice school cut off is 240 and you got 241 you will still get iteven if do not get the first 5 choices.

nav14
22-11-12, 12:26
My daughter got 254 with 3 A* and 1A in mother toungue. The MT score must be a borderline A. If not for MT or exempted can go RGS already. That is why I am a strong proponent of reducing weightage of MT in PSLE score.

gn108
22-11-12, 12:29
T-scores aside, congrats all pupils and parents on clearing PLSE.
Expectations aside, the main goal is to enter the Sec Sch of choice.
Sec Sch aside, learn from experience and look forward to O and A levels!!

chiaberry
22-11-12, 12:31
It does not work this way any more. Used to be that way. Yours can be 6th choice and say the 6th choice school cut off is 240 and you got 241 you will still get iteven if do not get the first 5 choices.

yes. This is the way it works.

radha08
22-11-12, 12:34

Hai yo now my wife very high tension i better siam already
I kena arrow c la last ask u do this do that u never do...:scared-5:

I taking my guitar and two cans of tiger beer heading
To pasir ris beach park...:D

Basket she got 3A and 1B...also like this...sp:D ore
Standard very high....no wonder all no study buy
Property can liao....pick the right property better than
10x A*...:D

azeoprop
22-11-12, 12:58

No worries, I last time got A* A A A, score only 227 haa haa haa... life still goes on and we can strive for better grades next time.

:cheers5:

phantom_opera
22-11-12, 13:02
I can tell u ... Singapore PSLE system really sucks big time

Just like bro radha's case, 3A and 1B is considered very good, if you go to UK or Australia, 3A 1B is to be proud of ... I am sure A* is unheard of in those countries :doh:

It is very unfortunate that even if you have one B ... your overall aggregate will drop significantly .. it is actually not fair because not everybody can be good at everything e.g. MT or Maths but does not mean the students do not have potential in what she/he is good at

The upper middle class migrate simply because of this :doh:

radha08
22-11-12, 13:21
Actually i feel like telling my wife its ok darling 6 years
Later maybe my other girl will get...2:D 99

But the mood my wife in i better shut up otherwise
Kena one tight slap....:scared-5: :D

phantom_opera
22-11-12, 13:22
Singapore in 2050

The Singapore bi-lingual education system starts when pregnancy is announced, government funded pre-natal baby training program is fully subsidized to prepare you for KSLE (better known as Kiasu Lemmings Exam) at kindergarten

All parents must also sit for IQ/EQ test shortly after the child is born for early detection and intervention of non-conformance under the elitist parenting program by MOE

:doh:

moneytalk
22-11-12, 13:23

As a dad, no matter what your thoughts are, you have to put up a very strong emotional front for your daughter.
Spend time listening, talking and encouraging your daughter. You don't want her confidence and self-esteem to be diminished by one exam.
You have to face the situation realistically now, so please don't give her false hope. Most probably she can't get to the school of her choice. You may try to appeal but prepare her for rejection.
This is only a suggestion. Talk to her about the other choices of schools and listen to her fears, expectations and concern.
If you can, drive her to a few schools to assess the environment, hear her input and then make an informed decision.
Do tell her that even if she does not like her new school, it's not the end. She can still do her best and if it's good enough, she can move to another school after secondary two.
Scoring 223 means she's weak in 1 or 2 subjects. Maybe she is also emotional and jittery during exams, which can affect scores. Ask her if she wants extra help in her weak subjects in secondary school and if she does, help her find one.
Advise her not to go round comparing PSLE scores as it really doesn't mean anything. People with high PSLE scores normally have more advantages and help in their earlier years but the advantage is not forever. As you go higher and higher, you only can depend on yourself and not tuition.
The basic truth in life is very simple. The road ahead is long and as long as we continually put in hard work and strive to do better, our efforts will never go to waste. Just don't give up on ourselves!

radha08
22-11-12, 13:24
I can tell u ... Singapore PSLE system really sucks big time

Just like bro radha's case, 3A and 1B is considered very good, if you go to UK or Australia, 3A 1B is to be proud of ... I am sure A* is unheard of in those countries :doh:

It is very unfortunate that even if you have one B ... your overall aggregate will drop significantly .. it is actually not fair because not everybody can be good at everything e.g. MT or Maths but does not mean the students do not have potential in what she/he is good at

The upper middle class migrate simply because of this :doh:

U right bro poor kids today my time not so stressful
Tks to competition from ft...so we must be best in this
Best in that....:doh:

buttercarp
22-11-12, 13:25

Those who coached their kids their school work will be highly strung when they don't meet expectations. So yes, keep quiet, let the storm blow over.

phantom_opera
22-11-12, 13:27

bro radha, I can tell you about my story, I was admitted to Cambridge University (but eventually I did not study there due to personal reason) although I don't think my A-level result was top in my batch

I remembered very vividly the interviewer (one big size ang-moh) asked me the key question: What do u think of war?

PSLE?? Give me a break!!!

East Lover
22-11-12, 13:53
My son 242.

Last year Anglican high COP 243, St joseph institution 242, Victoria 247. I like this schools as my son can draw very well...Got chance??

Which one shall I put as first choice? What's the best strategy? We are staying at east

insigina
22-11-12, 13:54
No worries, I last time got A* A A A, score only 227 haa haa haa... life still goes on and we can strive for better grades next time.

:cheers5:

You're right. My daughter got 223, went to a neighborhood sec sch, did well to go JC and did well to go local U. Now in year 3. I can tell you PSLE does not accurately gauge a child. I know of one family, child aced PSLE, went to top Sec sch (those with through train type, bypassing O level). Last year A level and barely secured a placed in local U. The important thing is to keep faith in the Sec sch system, especially the neighborhood schools. Most of the teachers and principals are highly motivated and will go all out to help a child achieve his/her fullest potential.

CondoWE
22-11-12, 13:59

My son wanted to go RV but today result only 242 (4A's) nia..:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: !

He was so upset but my wife told him that it's ok as long he had put in effort lo :rolleyes: !

moneytalk
22-11-12, 13:59
My son 242.

Last year Anglican high COP 243, St joseph institution 242, Victoria 247. I like this schools as my son can draw very well...Got chance??

Which one shall I put as first choice? What's the best strategy? We are staying at east

I don't think there is any strategy and no one really knows as it depends on the cohorts' choices.

I would say just list according to your likings and hope for the best.

East Lover
22-11-12, 14:07
I don't think there is any strategy and no one really knows as it depends on the cohorts' choices.

I would say just list according to your likings and hope for the best.
St Joseph vs anligan high, which one better? My son good in argurging :D

Rysk
22-11-12, 14:17

"Every sch is good" ok!!
But if you ask me.. I will choose SJI :D

Laguna
22-11-12, 14:21

bring him to both, see the environment, and the students there
and see the location whether how far from your place

cnud
22-11-12, 14:23

Anglican is nearer to your place rite?

buttercarp
22-11-12, 14:37
bring him to both, see the environment, and the students there
and see the location whether how far from your place
You are right.
Going to the school physically can help in the decision.

EastLover - will your son consider TKSS?
It is a wonderful school.
My son was all set to apply for VS but he changed his mind when he went to TKSS. At that time he DSA into School of Science and Technology, but he gave it up for TKSS.
The principal and the teachers are really motivated.

phantom_opera
22-11-12, 14:41
The promise of PSLE lol?

http://img2.hao123.com/data/ef796486fd86337c23868879930010fd_0

zeamybro
22-11-12, 14:41
I think last time Anglican high got give chance to those express stream students, if they do well in sec 1/2, can jump to SAP stream in sec 3/4...

As i shared yday, i got 246 for PSLE and mom teared, cos i couldnt get into SAP. I also remember my dad 'comforting' my mum "一分钱一分货" , i am not as smart as my elder siblings since young, and he would be more than happy if i can get into poly ... no need to think of uni.

Guess what, i faired much better than my elder siblings in all my subsequent major exams... PSLE is not everything! The real game starts in working life

radha08
22-11-12, 14:42
As a dad, no matter what your thoughts are, you have to put up a very strong emotional front for your daughter.
Spend time listening, talking and encouraging your daughter. You don't want her confidence and self-esteem to be diminished by one exam.
You have to face the situation realistically now, so please don't give her false hope. Most probably she can't get to the school of her choice. You may try to appeal but prepare her for rejection.
This is only a suggestion. Talk to her about the other choices of schools and listen to her fears, expectations and concern.
If you can, drive her to a few schools to assess the environment, hear her input and then make an informed decision.
Do tell her that even if she does not like her new school, it's not the end. She can still do her best and if it's good enough, she can move to another school after secondary two.
Scoring 223 means she's weak in 1 or 2 subjects. Maybe she is also emotional and jittery during exams, which can affect scores. Ask her if she wants extra help in her weak subjects in secondary school and if she does, help her find one.
Advise her not to go round comparing PSLE scores as it really doesn't mean anything. People with high PSLE scores normally have more advantages and help in their earlier years but the advantage is not forever. As you go higher and higher, you only can depend on yourself and not tuition.
The basic truth in life is very simple. The road ahead is long and as long as we continually put in hard work and strive to do better, our efforts will never go to waste. Just don't give up on ourselves!

tks bro appreciate your sincere advice:)

zeamybro
22-11-12, 14:43
You are right.

My son was all set to apply for VS but he changed his mind when he went to TKSS. At that time he DSA into School of Science and Technology, but he gave it up for TKSS.

I was from TKSS ... tok kok sing song . ..all day long :tongue3:

But i must say i enjoyed my secondary sch days a lot at tkss .. much more than my jc days.

radha08
22-11-12, 14:44
bro radha, I can tell you about my story, I was admitted to Cambridge University (but eventually I did not study there due to personal reason) although I don't think my A-level result was top in my batch

I remembered very vividly the interviewer (one big size ang-moh) asked me the key question: What do u think of war?

bro from today onwards i see you...UP:D:D:D

carbuncle
22-11-12, 14:46
i wanted anglican high last time n the all white see thru uniform is ooh lala but.... steered away once heard evry morning bible studiez

carbuncle
22-11-12, 14:48

Bro guigui.... Are u married?

Laguna
22-11-12, 14:48
My son got 218 and we got him into ACS Independent...
but it was a very very bad decision as he was not there for that school..

radha08
22-11-12, 14:52
last but not least to all bro/sis another joker message from ur friendlly neighbourhood bro radha08....after all the dust is settled and u have made ur choices do not forget..this weekend 4D....:D:D:D:D

for me 0223...10 BIG 10SMALL...WAHAHAHA:D:D:D:D:D

dont play play ha kns yesterday draw i wack 2016....cos seaesta top in 2016 and 2620...cos blk26 stack20....KKKKKNNNNNSSSSS...1st prize 1620:banghead::banghead::banghead:

HP65
22-11-12, 14:57

Wow, when was that? How did you managed to get him there with COP 218? And why was it a bad decision? Just curious as my boy intends to apply for ACS (I). As far as I could remember, need at least 250 COP to get into ACS (I).

Thx!

Rysk
22-11-12, 15:01
218 can get into ACS(I)?? :confused:

roly8
22-11-12, 15:03
Wow, when was that? How did you managed to get him there with COP 218? And why was it a bad decision? Just curious as my boy intends to apply for ACS (I). As far as I could remember, need at least 250 COP to get into ACS (I).

Thx!

maybe uncle laguna got connection... :ashamed1:

your girl study where? don't tell me RGS... :o

phantom_opera
22-11-12, 15:03
last but not least to all bro/sis another joker message from ur friendlly neighbourhood bro radha08....after all the dust is settled and u have made ur choices do not forget..this weekend 4D....:D:D:D:D

dont play play ha kns yesterday draw i wack 2016....cos seaesta top in 2016 and 2620...cos blk26 stack20....KKKKKNNNNNSSSSS...1st prize 1620:banghead::banghead::banghead:

aiyo you should have bought all combos of 1,6,2,0

such is the spirit :cheers5: it is scary that Singaporeans care so much about PSLE score nowadays .... ... be prepared for 0.0 birth rate soon if this continues :2cents:

radha08
22-11-12, 15:05
here is the list of sch and points required....:)

http://www.acetutors.com.sg/Secondary-School-Ranking-2012-Based-On-PSLE-Intake

radha08
22-11-12, 15:08
here is the list of sch and points required....:)

http://www.acetutors.com.sg/Secondary-School-Ranking-2012-Based-On-PSLE-Intake

kns my former sch only 188 pt to enter...:eek::eek::eek:...haiyo paiseh sial:doh:

at least its a prosperous number...:D:D:D

chestnut
22-11-12, 15:25
kns my former sch only 188 pt to enter...:eek::eek::eek:...haiyo paiseh sial:doh:

at least its a prosperous number...:D:D:D

Bro, everything must plan in singapore... Why, every one super, duper Kia Su. When it was time for my eldest to go primary, I say, aiya, any school also can... Shit man, than discover affiliation helps... Didn't know bloody system change like crazy... Say Fairfield melodies affiliated to fairfield sec... Lower points required, affiliated to acjc, lower point required...

Then come tuition, aiya, no need... Teachers expect students to have tuition so never really teach.... :doh: majority of classmates got tuition... Bo pian, go tuition... And I become chauffeur...

So I told myself, Wah... If this goes on, I jialat... Must get financial independance... Better start thinking of having enough money to send the kids overseas in case cannot get local uni... The rest is history...

Bro, I tell u another route... Get your girl to do well.. The poly route, if the kid scores gpa 3.5 or something, they will be entitled to a place in local u... Choosing the course again is an art... My daughter when biz ad in poly, scored a few 0.2 points shy of a place in local uni... But she likes it in Melbourne u.... She found out, other students who enrolled in courses that can score high gpa (not biz ad, something else) score 3.6 and entitled a place in commerce in local uni...

So map out the oath early if u don't want to send her overseas.. Do some research please.

Also in poly, the first term is very important. Once u do well in first term, the grade stays around there.

Give u the heads up...

HP65
22-11-12, 15:25
maybe uncle laguna got connection... :ashamed1:

your girl study where? don't tell me RGS... :o

Mine's a boy lol. How did you get the impression I have a girl?

roly8
22-11-12, 15:49
Mine's a boy lol. How did you get the impression I have a girl?
oh. was referring to laguna baby girl :D:D

radha08
22-11-12, 15:59
Bro, everything must plan in singapore... Why, every one super, duper Kia Su. When it was time for my eldest to go primary, I say, aiya, any school also can... Shit man, than discover affiliation helps... Didn't know bloody system change like crazy... Say Fairfield melodies affiliated to fairfield sec... Lower points required, affiliated to acjc, lower point required...

Then come tuition, aiya, no need... Teachers expect students to have tuition so never really teach.... :doh: majority of classmates got tuition... Bo pian, go tuition... And I become chauffeur...

So I told myself, Wah... If this goes on, I jialat... Must get financial independance... Better start thinking of having enough money to send the kids overseas in case cannot get local uni... The rest is history...

Bro, I tell u another route... Get your girl to do well.. The poly route, if the kid scores gpa 3.5 or something, they will be entitled to a place in local u... Choosing the course again is an art... My daughter when biz ad in poly, scored a few 0.2 points shy of a place in local uni... But she likes it in Melbourne u.... She found out, other students who enrolled in courses that can score high gpa (not biz ad, something else) score 3.6 and entitled a place in commerce in local uni...

So map out the oath early if u don't want to send her overseas.. Do some research please.

Also in poly, the first term is very important. Once u do well in first term, the grade stays around there.

Give u the heads up...

tks bro i am a poly grad my wife masters degree...so :D:D:D..the rest is history...anyway i told my girl i am proud of you...cos u did better than me then i show her my sec sch...entry only 188...now she feels a bit better...:)...but to me personally living in singapore education is one thing but u got to be street smart and know the right people..that is more important:cheers5::cheers5::cheers5:

so basically in the forum we got all the connections here ...wahaha...good man rich man poor man beggar man..half man:D:D:D...thief:scared-1:...ah beng ah seng ma beng...me:D:D:D

radha08
22-11-12, 16:02
aiyo you should have bought all combos of 1,6,2,0

such is the spirit :cheers5: it is scary that Singaporeans care so much about PSLE score nowadays .... ... be prepared for 0.0 birth rate soon if this continues :2cents:

last week i ask my younger daughter give me 4 number she said dad...2468....i buy 2 big...sunday open starter...monday collect $500...tuesday go changi eat seafood...:D...wednesday buy 4d again...thursday suck thumb:doh:

lifeline
22-11-12, 16:19
My son 242.

my wife's strategy previously is to put the choices into 3 bands: 2 above, 2 same and 2 below score. so you will definitely hit a school of your choice. for the band above, you can try to appeal if there are suitable reasons / cca / etc.

good luck to all parents here!

zeamybro
22-11-12, 16:23
1) good psle -> good sec sch with good O level results-> good JC with good A level results -> good uni grades

2) avg psle -> avg sec with avg O level results -> poly -> uni

Somehow i observe around me that those who took route 2 end up doing better than those who took route 1... And my analysis is becos those who took route 1 were living a more guided path .. thinking that as long as they study hard, get good results, go into good schs... they will be rewarded with a good job and career... Butwe all know tt once you are out in the working force you are on your own...

On the other hand, those who took route 2 may realise they need to be flexible and know how to wriggle around in search of their success.. so they end up doing better.

buttercarp
22-11-12, 16:25
I was from TKSS ... tok kok sing song . ..all day long :tongue3:

But i must say i enjoyed my secondary sch days a lot at tkss .. much more than my jc days.

Old name for TKSS was TK Tech.
Now TKSS is different from the old TK Tech.

Ask most girls who are deciding between TKSS and TKGS, I think they will choose TKSS.
Last time it was different, they would definitely choose TKGS.

DC33_2008
22-11-12, 16:27
Affiliation is really important at all cross-over levels from P6 to Secondary and Secondary to College. No more models for those P6 students at secondary school. Wonder why do they make maths so completed at primary level. Algebra and calculus is more crucial at higher levels.

Give u the heads up...

buttercarp
22-11-12, 16:30
1) good psle -> good sec sch with good O level results-> good JC with good A level results -> good uni grades

Somehow i observe around me that those who took route 2 end up doing better than those who took route 1... And my analysis is becos those who took route 1 were living a more guided path .. thinking that as long as they study hard, get good results, go into good schs... they will be rewarded with a good job and career... Butwe all know tt once you are out in the working force you are on your own...

On the other hand, those who took route 2 may realise they need to be flexible and know how to wriggle around in search of their success.. so they end up doing better.

That's why I said before that scholars are very well guided and usually don't deviate in their paths. They are in a comfort zone.

Those who are not so academically inclined are more likely to take risks and thus may become more successful financially.

DC33_2008
22-11-12, 16:32
Not really true. Teenagers are different as compared to when they are in primary school. Attitude and change character can affect the performance of students. Have observed this in my son's school.

DC33_2008
22-11-12, 16:33
Not really true all the time. The academically strong ones may be working for those academically weaker ones who run business in the real world minus civil service.
That's why I said before that scholars are very well guided and usually don't deviate in their paths. They are in a comfort zone.

Those who are not so academically inclined are more likely to take risks and thus may become more successful financially.

zeamybro
22-11-12, 16:36

Ask most girls who are deciding between TKSS and TKGS, I think they will choose TKSS.

I remember my time already no more "Tech" in the name... anyway my class had less than 5 girls.. but they took away the top 3 spots :banghead:

buttercarp
22-11-12, 16:40
I remember my time already no more "Tech" in the name... anyway my class had less than 5 girls.. but they took away the top 3 spots :banghead:

LOL.....
My son's class got many girls and the top student is still a girl!

chiaberry
22-11-12, 16:56

Could be his son excels in CCA. For top swimmers, many JCs would let them in even with COP in low 200s.

chiaberry
22-11-12, 16:58

If they are still having Open House, suggest you and your son attend the Open House and see which one is a better fit for his interests. If he is good in a particular CCA, can see if either school is strong in it.

East Lover
22-11-12, 17:25
You are right.

Really? But cop only 233 leh...
I went to anglican high, Victoria and SJI just now, A very Chinese type, V cold, admin everything don't know, can't tell, but in SJI, they are so friendly!

But very far from east.... Maybe change house next year?? :D

East Lover
22-11-12, 17:27
my wife's strategy previously is to put the choices into 3 bands: 2 above, 2 same and 2 below score. so you will definitely hit a school of your choice. for the band above, you can try to appeal if there are suitable reasons / cca / etc.

good luck to all parents here!
Thanks! Really a good stragtegy :)

I will try it! Thanks s lot!!

East Lover
22-11-12, 17:30
If they are still having Open House, suggest you and your son attend the Open House and see which one is a better fit for his interests. If he is good in a particular CCA, can see if either school is strong in it.
Yes, this sat Victoria, Anglican have open house, but SJI held last week :(

I will bring him to feel it first. I like the campus of SJI. Very English feeling.

Btw my son prefers to English school instead of Chinese...:beats-me-man:

chiaberry
22-11-12, 17:46
Yes, this sat Victoria, Anglican have open house, but SJI held last week :(

I will bring him to feel it first. I like the campus of SJI. Very English feeling.

Btw my son prefers to English school instead of Chinese...:beats-me-man:

Victoria is in the East. Does your son have any CCA/special talents that might get him in on appeal? Worth talking to the principal if he does. Need to prepare the appeal as he would likely not get in because COP is significantly higher than his score (5 points off is a lot). SJI also not guaranteed to get in as his score is just on the COP and there may be many students with score of 242 and it will then go down to the decimal points (I can't remember is it two or three decimal points). You need to prepare another few sch with COP one or two points below 242 in case he doesn't get into SJI then there needs to be some back ups. And get ready the materials for the appeal. The chances of the appeal succeeding are not too bad as quite a few students will appeal for those with higher COP so there are usually some places available for appeal.

roly8
22-11-12, 17:47

uncle, you very observative!

me belong to route 2 :rolleyes:

hope to hire more people work under me. :D

carbuncle
22-11-12, 17:52
uncle, you very observative!

me belong to route 2 :rolleyes:

hope to hire more people work under me. :D

wat qualification u need? can i can i??

East Lover
22-11-12, 18:21
Victoria is in the East. Does your son have any CCA/special talents that might get him in on appeal? Worth talking to the principal if he does. Need to prepare the appeal as he would likely not get in because COP is significantly higher than his score (5 points off is a lot). SJI also not guaranteed to get in as his score is just on the COP and there may be many students with score of 242 and it will then go down to the decimal points (I can't remember is it two or three decimal points). You need to prepare another few sch with COP one or two points below 242 in case he doesn't get into SJI then there needs to be some back ups. And get ready the materials for the appeal. The chances of the appeal succeeding are not too bad as quite a few students will appeal for those with higher COP so there are usually some places available for appeal.
Victoria can only appeal online. No form, no seeing.... Ok, I will take the stragtegy Lifeline suggested, 2 higher, 2 near by and 2 below.

Moe system not iPad friendly. I want to see any school between 350 to 240, hard to filter out. Will use notebook to try.

How does first choice play the tole? Put Victoria as first or SJI?

Allthepies
22-11-12, 18:46
u sure ? seen many new employee, with excellent results and yet produce shit work. And yet very proud and over confidents . Ask few questions in their presentation but fumble all the way.

I believe the right and positive attitude and mindset produce excellent worker instead.
think i need to correct myself: im trying to say tat those with good result r usually doomed to be a worker all their lives.they do not dare to venture out.

chiaberry
22-11-12, 19:16
Victoria can only appeal online. No form, no seeing.... Ok, I will take the stragtegy Lifeline suggested, 2 higher, 2 near by and 2 below.

Moe system not iPad friendly. I want to see any school between 350 to 240, hard to filter out. Will use notebook to try.

As the bros have explained, you can put Victoria as first and then SJI. Even if you don't get Victoria, it does not affect your chances of getting into SJI as the selection is strictly by cut-off point for each sch.

chiaberry
22-11-12, 19:43
Really? But cop only 233 leh...
I went to anglican high, Victoria and SJI just now, A very Chinese type, V cold, admin everything don't know, can't tell, but in SJI, they are so friendly!

But very far from east.... Maybe change house next year?? :D

Don't look down on TKSS leh. It is in the same Band as SJI (Band 2). Considering that the COP is so much lower than SJI, it is very commendable that it can achieve results similar to SJI. Perhaps it is affiliated students from the SJI feeder sch that drag down their Band.

It is also in a more convenient location for you. The Sec Sch kids spend a lot of time in CCA/remedial classes etc. Don't underestimate the effect of travel time.

The Banding is L1B5 - gives you an indication of the average expectation for O level results from the cohort.

buttercarp
22-11-12, 20:02
Don't look down on TKSS leh. It is in the same Band as SJI (Band 2). Considering that the COP is so much lower than SJI, it is very commendable that it can achieve results similar to SJI. Perhaps it is affiliated students from the SJI feeder sch that drag down their Band.

It is also in a more convenient location for you. The Sec Sch kids spend a lot of time in CCA/remedial classes etc. Don't underestimate the effect of travel time.

The Banding is L1B5 - gives you an indication of the average expectation for O level results from the cohort.

Yup, TKSS has achieved a high standard in recent years.
I also did not think highly of the school until I went there with my son.
Cos when my brother was studying there many years ago (at that time it was still TK tech), it was not a good school.

My son had 245 in his year and could get into VS, but he did not want to be last in the cohort.
He gave up his place at SST which he got into via DSA cos it was too far away.
I think TKSS has provided him a conducive educational environment which may not have been possible elsewhere.

chiaberry
22-11-12, 20:10
:cheers5: sis buttercarp and her family are very pragmatic. They can see beyond the brand names and have made sensible decisions. A lot of Singaporeans are blinded by the brand names. I think most (perhaps 90% or more) of parents in your situation would have been very very happy to go for Victoria Sch or the SST and not even consider TKSS in their radar at all if they were in your situation.

zeamybro
22-11-12, 20:16
Sis I was from TKSS too .... My results for Os was better than most of my fellow P6 classmates who went to DHS, VS, AHS etc

East Lover
22-11-12, 20:36
Cos when my brother was studying there many years ago (at that time it was still TK tech), it was not a good school.

My son had 245 in his year and could get into VS, but he did not want to be last in the cohort.
I think TKSS has provided him a conducive educational environment which may not have been possible elsewhere.
Ok this Saturday I bring my son to feel first. Thanks for the sharing :p

East Lover
22-11-12, 20:38
:cheers5: sis buttercarp and her family are very pragmatic. They can see beyond the brand names and have made sensible decisions. A lot of Singaporeans are blinded by the brand names. I think most (perhaps 90% or more) of parents in your situation would have been very very happy to go for Victoria Sch or the SST and not even consider TKSS in their radar at all if they were in your situation.
Sis, thanks for ur valuable input. I will think twice. Let my boy to feel first.

Sorry I don't intent to look down at TKSS :ashamed1: just I thought it's easy to sort by COP...

moneytalk
22-11-12, 20:40

This practice was in place years ago and it only applied to appeal cases. I don't know if it is still applicable.
If you want to appeal to the school, it will demand that you produce a copy of your school choices. If you list the school as first choice, then your chances of getting a place is higher than the person who list it as a second choice.
If you really like the school and intend to appeal, then first choice is very important.
Since you like Victoria and live in the east, then I would suggest the following.
List Victoria as first choice. High probability that he will not get in but you intend to appeal right? Since he likes to draw and most probably good at it, then try to appeal. What are the chances of appealing through art? Why not go to the school tomorrow and ask, before submitting the school choices.
He is borderline for SJI and may or may not get in with his second choice. Even if he gets in, you can still appeal at Victoria, how is SJI to know? No harm trying for a better option.
I will list Anglican as third choice as your child prefers an english environment.

If you are the type that will not take risk and your child prefers an english environment and really likes SJI, then I will list it as first choice. Even if the cut-off point is 242, a lot of 242 scorers may not get in. Then your chance of appealing successfully to SJI is higher.

East Lover
22-11-12, 20:44
Sis I was from TKSS too .... My results for Os was better than most of my fellow P6 classmates who went to DHS, VS, AHS etc
See ur good result now, give me confidence of TKSS leh :D

As sis chiaberry said, 我们不要迷信名牌

East Lover
22-11-12, 20:52
Thanks!

I'm confused now. Some friends said, boy has potential, must push a bit. So always go to the nearest COP school. Some said, if at the bottom of cohort, will be at last class, end up lost confidence :doh:

This practice was in place years ago and it only applied to appeal cases. I don't know if it is still applicable.
If you want to appeal to the school, it will demand that you produce a copy of your school choices. If you list the school as first choice, then your chances of getting a place is higher than the person who list it as a second choice.
If you really like the school and intend to appeal, then first choice is very important.
Since you like Victoria and live in the east, then I would suggest the following.
List Victoria as first choice. High probability that he will not get in but you intend to appeal right? Since he likes to draw and most probably good at it, then try to appeal. What are the chances of appealing through art? Why not go to the school tomorrow and ask, before submitting the school choices.
He is borderline for SJI and may or may not get in with his second choice. Even if he gets in, you can still appeal at Victoria, how is SJI to know? No harm trying for a better option.
I will list Anglican as third choice as your child prefers an english environment.

If you are the type that will not take risk and your child prefers an english environment and really likes SJI, then I will list it as first choice. Even if the cut-off point is 242, a lot of 242 scorers may not get in. Then your chance of appealing successfully to SJI is higher.

moneytalk
22-11-12, 21:01
Thanks!

I'm confused now. Some friends said, boy has potential, must push a bit. So always go to the nearest COP school. Some said, if at the bottom of cohort, will be at last class, end up lost confidence :doh:

Everyone is different. Is your boy lazy and need a bit of push and competition? or is he the type that is easily discouraged?

buttercarp
22-11-12, 21:10
Thanks!

Secondary school is a fresh start, so even if the child barely scrapes through the COP, I don't think he will be at a disadvantage.

I left it entirely to my boy to decide.
I brought him to VS, but that day being a Saturday, it was closed.
So I think there is no 缘分 with the school.

TKSS - went there for the first time. Just go and look see cos VS closed on Saturday.
After that, fell in love with the school.
Decided on it.

SST - he was very very keen - DSA first round did not get in, so disappointed, put on waiting list, waited and waited, then finally on 28 dec, the school called and said he was accepted.

By then, he already decided on TKSS, so turned down SST offer.
It was a tough decision.
One major factor was SST at that time was in a holding school for 2 years and did not have facilities.
Phew! Lucky he did not accept SST.
Imagine me driving up and down everyday if he went to SST and paying $300+ of school fees a month.

chiaberry
22-11-12, 21:14
Thanks!

Sis teenage boys are very volatile. They can change a lot in these years. For some of them, being at the bottom of the cohort can spur them on to try harder with the peer pressure.

Also don't pre-judge Anglican High as being too "Chinese". My girl went to an SAP school and most of them were primarily English speakers anyway. In fact, the Chinese scholars (from China) were disappointed that it was so "English" unlike their expectations. If your kid is going to do Higher Chinese, it's better to be in a "Chinese" environment. He is more likely to pass Higher Chinese and get exempted from MT in JC (big big advantage - no point in struggling for another year for MT when it's not really your MT).

carbuncle
22-11-12, 21:16
See ur good result now, give me confidence of TKSS leh :D

As sis chiaberry said, 我们不要迷信名牌

TKTECH ALL CAB n CAL!!!!!

- the only gay in DHS

CondoInterested
22-11-12, 21:25
Honestly, there is no direct relation between PSLE and Secondary School results.

It's totally different ballgame in secondary school.

zeamybro
22-11-12, 21:27

- the only gay in DHS

Ooi!!! I not CAB ok? But I used to hv maroon hair and ear studs during one phase in my life

buttercarp
22-11-12, 21:28

- the only gay in DHS

What's cab n cal?

Carbuncle, oh u from DHS?

East Lover
22-11-12, 21:32
Everyone is different. Is your boy lazy and need a bit of push and competition? or is he the type that is easily discouraged?
A bit lazy, need a lot of push, in school he is labeled as naughty boy, so always discouraged?? every teacher said he is very intelligent but under performance.

But he has no comfidence. he only expected himself to score around 230... He told me he really put effort in the last 2 weeks! :doh: I told him, if he really put effort for last 2 months instead of 2 weeks, he can archive 250 even 260 :o

So push him to good shoot last class, or ok school best class? I read somewhere some school take care very well for 240 students

East Lover
22-11-12, 21:36
Sis teenage boys are very volatile. They can change a lot in these years. For some of them, being at the bottom of the cohort can spur them on to try harder with the peer pressure.

Also don't pre-judge Anglican High as being too "Chinese". My girl went to an SAP school and most of them were primarily English speakers anyway. In fact, the Chinese scholars (from China) were disappointed that it was so "English" unlike their expectations. If your kid is going to do Higher Chinese, it's better to be in a "Chinese" environment. He is more likely to pass Higher Chinese and get exempted from MT in JC (big big advantage - no point in struggling for another year for MT when it's not really your MT).
I have no confidence for 华校 because my son will be easily labeled as naughty boy in this kind of school. Enough call from teacher this 6 years :scared-2:

He didn't take HMT in primary school. Can still take in secondary school?

East Lover
22-11-12, 21:40
宁为鸡口不为牛后?!

kane
22-11-12, 21:45
The liveliness of this thread can rival that in the other parents.com forums.

carbuncle
22-11-12, 22:29
Ooi!!! I not CAB ok? But I used to hv maroon hair and ear studs during one phase in my life

Chao Ah Beng will never admit he is CAB

radha08
22-11-12, 23:02

Sis now u and me LAU liau we belong to same school...:confused::confused::confused:

TCSS....wahahah...sorry just in that stupid mood:D

radha08
22-11-12, 23:03

bro just because he said UNDER ME...it does NOT MEAN UNDER HIM la...get it get it get it...:D:D:D:D

radha08
22-11-12, 23:05

SIS if u know blackjack21trader he is from victoria....and so am I....err...actually i was there only 1 year when i repeat my sec4...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

radha08
22-11-12, 23:07

hi bro yes now u and me and the rest of the bro/sis here belong to same sch...TCSS...:cheers5::cheers5::cheers5:

Kanarazu
23-11-12, 05:01

- the only gay in DHS

I nearly went DHS for the art elective.

East Lover
23-11-12, 06:49
I have booked my son school teacher's appointment. I will consult her also.

Victoria,
+ one level higher, he has potential to catch up 水涨船高
+ art program, he will enjoy
- last class, may hurt his confidence
+ lass class, so easily can have progress! Boot up confidence

SJI
+ culture and background (he wants to be a lawyer)
+ networking??
- very far from home

AHS
+ near home
+ SAP, Chinese culture
- may be labelled as naughty boy again
- he does not refer to 华校

TKSS (233)
+ school culture, hopefully he will be a happy child there
+ he will among the top students
- why COP dropping every year???

Mars Stella (232)
+ they take care very well for 240 above students
+ near home

Ngee Ann (233)
+ near home

Temasek (230)
+ near home

St Andrews (231)
+ andrews jc

East Lover
23-11-12, 06:57
Do u want to put ur child into big pound as a small fish, so more source, more opportunity, but also more competitions?

Or put into small pound as big fish, then more attention to grow? Less competition, more happy?

zeamybro
23-11-12, 07:33
hi bro yes now u and me and the rest of the bro/sis here belong to same sch...TCSS...:cheers5::cheers5::cheers5:

bro.. were u around when Lim Tong Hai was there? My friends and I were so proud then just becos LTH was our alumni .... when everyone was crazy over S-league.

Jack Neo also from TKTech

buttercarp
23-11-12, 07:41
Hi Eastlover, the COP for TKSS has been hovering around 233-235.
Networking in this school is also good.
There are a handful of foreign nationals in the school. They are very well behaved and have good family background.
There is only express stream in this school.
Hope this helps in your decision making.
Also for my son's year, I think more than 90% of the students chose TKSS as their first choice.

buttercarp
23-11-12, 07:51
bro.. were u around when Lim Tong Hai was there? My friends and I were so proud then just becos LTH was our alumni .... when everyone was crazy over S-league.

Jack Neo also from TKTech

Nicole Seah was also from TKSS :) .

zeamybro
23-11-12, 07:56
EL sis

During my era, the top sec 1 class in TKSS was largely comprised of students with agg 250 and above. They were made up of:

- Chinese (who dont wish to enter SAP sch cos they find them too cheena)
- Malays/indians (who wish to take their MT as 1st Lang cos there was no SAP sch for them)
- Plus a few who didnt but almost made it to SAP (TK becomes their next choice).

I guess I am kinda out-dated cos i cant give any meaningful advice on the sch selection. What's more impt for your son is his own effort and the things & people he encounters along the way .... and the schs you have listed out shld be more or less the same (in standard) imho...

Anyway my JC class comprised students from AHS, DHS, VS, RI, TKGS, MGS, Maris S, Cedars, Pasir Ris Sec, Ping Yi and myself TK. And the top in class was this gal from Ping Yi, who is now doing very well in Shell Petroleum.

carbuncle
23-11-12, 08:03
Do u want to put ur child into big pound as a small fish, so more source, more opportunity, but also more competitions?

Or put into small pound as big fish, then more attention to grow? Less competition, more happy?

yes. this is precisely why i chose to go poly vs jc even though my l1r4 is 5 and l1r5 is 7. i figured i will face less academic issues at poly. plus i can join the work force immediately after graduation if i had to.

cavaliver
23-11-12, 08:15
EL,
TKSS not bad lah, my nephew got 8 A1 in his O levels. Did his A level at VJC and is now in local medical school.
Plus they have a strong military band :D

buttercarp
23-11-12, 08:33
EL,
TKSS not bad lah, my nephew got 8 A1 in his O levels. Did his A level at VJC and is now in local medical school.

Military band?
LOL..... I thought it is brass band?

Wah, so many bros here got good things to say about TKSS.
That's good :) .

Also got lots of good food nearby.
So if waiting for child and nothing to do, can go around the area to makan.
Or better still, drive around and admire the landed houses and condos there!

nav14
23-11-12, 08:44
Thanks!

If the cut off is say 250 and your buy has 230 then I will say avoid going to the school as the difference will be obvious. But if the cut off is 250 and your boy has 245, let alone 250, go ahead and get into the school even if he is in last class as he will be able to cope and even outperform his peers. Some get high scores because they are particularly strong in one subject and in Sec schools where you have do more subjects, this person may end up doing poorly compared to someone who got 10 points lesser.

nav14
23-11-12, 08:48
EL,

Anyway for those who go the 'O' level route , it is easier to score A1/A2 with moderation now because most of the competition has gone on to IP schools.

zeamybro
23-11-12, 08:53
Yes TKSS is brass band. I would feel adrenaline gushing down my spine whenever i see them performing during national day or other major events. I feel proud being associated with this sec sch, but the feeling isnt even half as strong for my jc (even though it was one of the top jcs). Being in a top/good sch doesn necc give u good memories.

Yes good food is all around katong. Occasionally, i would still pop by the old tk campus (now a food court) for my meals. The authentic thai food is good, better taste but much cheaper than Thai Express.

moneytalk
23-11-12, 10:34
A bit lazy, need a lot of push, in school he is labeled as naughty boy, so always discouraged??

My son is also like that but is not easily discouraged. In fact he is often nonchalant.

Enough call from teacher this 6 years :scared-2:

We got calls even when he was in JC.

Both my children went to the schools with the highest cut-off points. My son recently told me that he rather be in a big pound as a small fish and he had benefited from the exposure.

Daughter said that if she had to choose all over again, she would rather go to another school and have more friends. Too much competition, if not balanced properly, can breed aggression and hostility.

Fortunately I didn't influence them on their choice of school so my daughter can't blame me.

So, the answers again depend on the individual and his/her personality.
Different strokes for different folks.

Do present all the pros and cons to your son and listen to him. After all, he will be the one attending school everyday, and it helps if it is his choice.

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:01
We went to TKSS this morning. Wow, the staff there so unfriendly! Even worse than Victoria :doh:

I'm expecting the warm welcome as all the bro sis described...
Now hubby not happy already :o

EL sis

During my era, the top sec 1 class in TKSS was largely comprised of students with agg 250 and above. They were made up of:

- Chinese (who dont wish to enter SAP sch cos they find them too cheena)
- Malays/indians (who wish to take their MT as 1st Lang cos there was no SAP sch for them)
- Plus a few who didnt but almost made it to SAP (TK becomes their next choice).

I guess I am kinda out-dated cos i cant give any meaningful advice on the sch selection. What's more impt for your son is his own effort and the things & people he encounters along the way .... and the schs you have listed out shld be more or less the same (in standard) imho...

Anyway my JC class comprised students from AHS, DHS, VS, RI, TKGS, MGS, Maris S, Cedars, Pasir Ris Sec, Ping Yi and myself TK. And the top in class was this gal from Ping Yi, who is now doing very well in Shell Petroleum.

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:05
If the cut off is say 250 and your buy has 230 then I will say avoid going to the school as the difference will be obvious. But if the cut off is 250 and your boy has 245, let alone 250, go ahead and get into the school even if he is in last class as he will be able to cope and even outperform his peers. Some get high scores because they are particularly strong in one subject and in Sec schools where you have do more subjects, this person may end up doing poorly compared to someone who got 10 points lesser.
My son teacher said should push him, as he can stretch.

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:07
Thanks! I will bring him to see, to feel. Now I toward to put him into big pound.

My son is also like that but is not easily discouraged. In fact he is often nonchalant.

We got calls even when he was in JC.

Both my children went to the schools with the highest cut-off points. My son recently told me that he rather be in a big pound as a small fish and he had benefited from the exposure.

Daughter said that if she had to choose all over again, she would rather go to another school and have more friends. Too much competition, if not balanced properly, can breed aggression and hostility.

Fortunately I didn't influence them on their choice of school so my daughter can't blame me.

So, the answers again depend on the individual and his/her personality.
Different strokes for different folks.

Do present all the pros and cons to your son and listen to him. After all, he will be the one attending school everyday, and it helps if it is his choice.

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:10
Now I have another question

Assume we can only choose AHS and SJI. Do u want to put into a school with more HDB kids? Or more rich children?

We are from OCR. Good to mix with CCR kids??

buttercarp
23-11-12, 12:12
We went to TKSS this morning. Wow, the staff there so unfriendly! Even worse than Victoria :doh:

Aiyo.... which TK staff unfriendly?!
The admin?

You expected VS to be unfriendly too :o ?

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:17
Aiyo.... which TK staff unfriendly?!
The admin?

You expected VS to be unfriendly too :o ?
We went to VS yesterday liao :( admin staff in both school unfriendly. SJI super approachable. 让我们受宠若惊:D

nav14
23-11-12, 12:18

Not wise to write off a school based on attitude of front office staff.

nav14
23-11-12, 12:19
We went to VS yesterday liao :( admin staff in both school unfriendly. SJI super approachable. 让我们受宠若惊:D

Admin staff will not be teaching. Just ignore them.

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:27
That's why we will come back on open house, too see their students and teachers. Must feedback to school, admin is the frontline of school on fact :o

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:30

Assume we can only choose AHS and SJI. Do u want to put into a school with more HDB kids? Or more rich children?

Can anyone comment on this? Shall we send our kids to some rich child school?

buttercarp
23-11-12, 12:44

SJI isn't exactly a "rich man" school.
They have a good mix of children from different backgrounds.

If you ask about ACS, then i would feel abit more worried, not so much about the background of the family, but whether my kid will adapt to the culture there as most are from the affliated school and may have their own clique.

East Lover
23-11-12, 12:52

If you ask about ACS, then i would feel abit more worried, not so much about the background of the family, but whether my kid will adapt to the culture there as most are from the affliated school and may have their own clique.
My friend said rich child can't go in ACSI, then go SJI...:doh:

True or not?

roly8
23-11-12, 14:53

don't need diploma or degree..

because the skill is learn through internet
:D

radha08
23-11-12, 15:10

they will be browsing condo.singapore forum ....:D:D:D

carbuncle
23-11-12, 15:15
ok i pm u....

Kanarazu
23-11-12, 19:31

Last time my school transfer problem students to SJI instead of sacking them. Guess its a way of giving 2nd chance but the school i feel should own and fix the problem instead of taking a shortcut out. Some of my schoolmates had cleptomania and were transferred out.

buttercarp
23-11-12, 20:19
Last time my school transfer problem students to SJI instead of sacking them. Guess its a way of giving 2nd chance but the school i feel should own and fix the problem instead of taking a shortcut out. Some of my schoolmates had cleptomania and were transferred out.

Your school was ACS?
And SJI was willing to accept and give them a second chance ?

Kanarazu
23-11-12, 20:22
Your school was ACS?
And SJI was willing to accept and give them a second chance ?

I wasn't from ACS. Not sure how SJI accepted them though. Just guessing: maybe cited reasons like cannot cope, performance or stress.

alxyan
24-11-12, 00:36

It is not true TK Tech was not a good school, not sure which era you were referring to. My cohort most of the students qualified for the top 5 JCs, the top student attained a perfect score of 9 A1s. Two other students scored 8A1s. Today, that student with 9 A1s is a partner in one of the top legal firms in Spore. One quarter of my class alone made it into Accountancy in NTU, and the Top Accountancy graduate for my year also came from TK. My batch at TK also produced a few doctors, first class honours in Engineering etc etc.

From what I read in this Forum, what is consistent is, whether from the TK Tech or TKSS era, most students who passed through its gates were happy and enjoyed their time there.

carbuncle
24-11-12, 09:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQB7ritn580

dedicate to all kiasuparents

buttercarp
24-11-12, 10:07
It is not true TK Tech was not a good school, not sure which era you were referring to. My cohort most of the students qualified for the top 5 JCs, the top student attained a perfect score of 9 A1s. Two other students scored 8A1s. Today, that student with 9 A1s is a partner in one of the top legal firms in Spore. One quarter of my class alone made it into Accountancy in NTU, and the Top Accountancy graduate for my year also came from TK. My batch at TK also produced a few doctors, first class honours in Engineering etc etc.

From what I read in this Forum, what is consistent is, whether from the TK Tech or TKSS era, most students who passed through its gates were happy and enjoyed their time there.

In the 1980's I believe it was not so good. My brother was from there.
That's why it is marvellous that the school can transform from a humble neighbourhood school to a band2 school over a short period of time.

cnud
24-11-12, 10:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQB7ritn580

dedicate to all kiasuparents

Very nice!:)

zeamybro
24-11-12, 11:26
In the 1980's I believe it was not so good. My brother was from there.
That's why it is marvellous that the school can transform from a humble neighbourhood school to a band2 school over a short period of time.

I was there in the early 90s, and I remember it was always ranked around the 25th position, plus or minus, for those yrs I was in. So not sure that was considered good or not so good .....

But having students with 8A1s and above was not uncommon during my era. And contradictorily, I heard the standard dropped towards the late 90s ...

And at least 2 of the principles during that era eventually held the appointment of Director General in MOE. They were quite aggressive in setting targets and they wanted everyone in the top class to get at least A1 or A2 in English.

moneytalk
24-11-12, 11:46
I was there in the early 90s, and I remember it was always ranked around the 25th position, plus or minus, for those yrs I was in. So not sure that was considered good or not so good .....

But having students with 8A1s and above was not uncommon during my era. And contradictorily, I heard the standard dropped towards the late 90s ...

And at least 2 of the principles during that era eventually held the appointment of Director General in MOE. They were quite aggressive in setting targets and they wanted everyone in the top class to get at least A1 or A2 in English.
I think one went on to become the principal of RI and then promoted to Director General in Moe. Right?

carbuncle
24-11-12, 11:46
bro zea. principals not principles. :p

zeamybro
24-11-12, 11:49
bro zea. principals not principles. :p

Opps thanks unclecarb .. :ashamed1: :ashamed1: :ashamed1:

Yes the one that moved on to RI was Mr Wong Siew Hoong. The other one was Ms Seah Jiak Choo .. His predecessor

alxyan
24-11-12, 12:42

I was there in mid 80s, stds were rising every year, and the school made headlines in the Straits Times when it made it to the top 20 secondary schools. Go check out the archives. Currently up and coming Acting Minister Lawrence Wong also old boy from the 80s batch.

I believe Nicole Seah is from much younger batch....

carbuncle
24-11-12, 14:08
i only went TKTech to take my Technical class

woodworking and plastic 'surgery' and metallogy lol

ClemenceLY
24-11-12, 22:26
There are maths, science, english, chinese and higher chinese (depending on P4 results) subjects.

A basic question : what are the subjects (and weightage if any) that contribute to the total 300 marks in PSLE ?

howgozit
24-11-12, 22:39
There are maths, science, english, chinese and higher chinese (depending on P4 results) subjects.

A basic question : what are the subjects (and weightage if any) that contribute to the total 300 marks in PSLE ?

I don't think anybody really knows

zeamybro
24-11-12, 23:39

In the past it was (2 x English + 2 x Chinese + 1 x maths + 1 x science) x 0.5

Not sure about now ...

Arcachon
25-11-12, 01:48
http://www.edgefieldpri.moe.edu.sg/wbn/slot/u2208/Parents_Link/Understanding%20PSLE%20T-scores.pdf

carbuncle
25-11-12, 09:38
if wat zeamy said is true then those whom i corrected spelling often in this forum better b watchful over ur kids language and grammar!!! lol

buttercarp
25-11-12, 09:43

Not sure about now ...

Yup, that was what I heard too.
Languages double weightage.

However if the kid is good in math and science and if the paper is super hard, he will benefit as he will do much better in these 2 papaers than his peers and his scores will be very much to the right of the bell curve.

My son's year the math paper super difficult, scienc i think was also difficult and therefore i think that helped him a lot in pulling his score up despite him not being good in his languages.

radha08
25-11-12, 20:35

i just fainted 1st prize.....0221:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :sick:

buttercarp
25-11-12, 20:59

Oh so close bro, so close.
If really win, how much is the prize?
I never buy before, so i dunno.

zeamybro
25-11-12, 20:59

So u rather don't win the 4d , or u rather your daughter got 221 instead?

buttercarp
25-11-12, 21:04
Bro radha, actually the first prize number is in the title of this thread 22-11-12, the PSLE result release date!

price
25-11-12, 21:15
So u rather don't win the 4d , or u rather your daughter got 221 instead?

i think he rather his daughter get lesser mark. anyway 221 vs 223 no diff

radha08
25-11-12, 21:17
Bro radha, actually the first prize number is in the title of this thread 22-11-12, the PSLE result release date!
i just got up and fainted again

radha08
25-11-12, 21:19
Oh so close bro, so close.
If really win, how much is the prize?
I never buy before, so i dunno.

10big/10small...$50k...:banghead:

radha08
25-11-12, 21:21
i think he rather his daughter get lesser mark. anyway 221 vs 223 no diff

actually sadly i am happy she got 0223..at least she got chance cos i applying to hai sing catholic as first choice and the cutoff i 225(hai yo another number to buy)...so with 223 got chance but 221..no chance...:beats-me-man:

price
25-11-12, 21:26
actually sadly i am happy she got 0223..at least she got chance cos i applying to hai sing catholic as first choice and the cutoff i 225(hai yo another number to buy)...so with 223 got chance but 221..no chance...:beats-me-man:

but 221 will have 50k. thats like a normal family's 1 year income! i'm sure a 2nd choice sch will be good enough! :tongue3:

radha08
25-11-12, 21:32
but 221 will have 50k. thats like a normal family's 1 year income! i'm sure a 2nd choice sch will be good enough! :tongue3:

yup i guess but in 4d whether u miss by 1 number or 9999 numbers u still...MISS>..:doh:

ClemenceLY
26-11-12, 00:21

Not sure about now ...

Thanks.
My eldest child is P5 next year - better get him buck up on both his languages :D

carbuncle
26-11-12, 07:15
Thanks.
My eldest child is P5 next year - better get him buck up on both his languages :D

cannot stress the importance of languages enough. one, it directly affects the quality and effectiveness of communication in both social and business contexts. two, it also directly impact his or her level of absorption and understanding of all other subjects.

roly8
26-11-12, 08:10
cannot stress the importance of languages enough. one, it directly affects the quality and effectiveness of communication in both social and business contexts. two, it also directly impact his or her level of absorption and understanding of all other subjects.

yea. i have a hard time with my english paper due to my family speak chinese & hokkien everyday.. :(

CondoWE
26-11-12, 08:33

Not to have high expectation as the min intake is 225 moreover there are many dragon kids around compare to other years..leh..:rolleyes: !

Although my kid score is 242, I still let him apply neighborhood school, Jurong Sec, Min intake 225 so he can be the best of the worst :D rather than apply NanHua, become the worst of the Best if he accepted :doh: !

DC33_2008
26-11-12, 08:36
My two nieces scored 260 and 270 for this PSLE. One studying in MGS while the other is far away in sengkang. The one at MGS will be continuing in MGS as home is just a short walk away while the one in sengkang has to take bus and mrt train to get to Nanyang Girls. The morale of the story is to stay in the central area. Otherwise, your child will take more than an hour to get to school everyday.:doh:

stl67
26-11-12, 08:40
yea. i have a hard time with my english paper due to my family speak chinese & hokkien everyday.. :(
i lagi cham... speak hokkien all the way...
never even have a chance to attend kindergarten because no $$
go Primary 1, don't understand what the teacher is saying... luckily my 'girlfriend' helps me to interpret..really no joke...

so my 2 languages all not so good.

nav14
26-11-12, 08:41
Thanks.

English Lang and MT is based on 200 marks unlike Maths and Science is 100 marks each for the examination papers but the weightage is equal (25% for each subject) when computing the T-score. So put equal emphasis on all subjects.

East Lover
26-11-12, 09:12
My two nieces scored 260 and 270 for this PSLE. One studying in MGS while the other is far away in sengkang. The one at MGS will be continuing in MGS as home is just a short walk away while the one in sengkang has to take bus and mrt train to get to Nanyang Girls. The morale of the story is to stay in the central area. Otherwise, your child will take more than an hour to get to school everyday.:doh:
i joked to my hubby, if my son secured Anglican High, we have to buy one unit at Casa Merah, 1.5Mil ; if go Victoria School, then D15 unit, 2 Mill; if go to SJI, then some where around Steven Road, 3Mil very old project :scared-3:

My son said, why must move house??? he can take school bus. worse, 6 years total taxi fee is still much cheaper than the house in D10 hahaha :D :D

DC33_2008
26-11-12, 09:18
My colleague rented a place near Bishan because her son got into RI. :scared-4: It may not be a bad investment as the grandchild may be studying in those good primary school like my niece from MGS. Both my children are from nearby primary school that has affiliation all the way to JC. I have condos near NUS, SMU, and Ngee Ann poly if they choose to go there for tertiary education.
i joked to my hubby, if my son secured Anglican High, we have to buy one unit at Casa Merah, 1.5Mil ; if go Victoria School, then D15 unit, 2 Mill; if go to SJI, then some where around Steven Road, 3Mil very old project :scared-3:

My son said, why must move house??? he can take school bus. worse, 6 years total taxi fee is still much cheaper than the house in D10 hahaha :D :D

zeamybro
26-11-12, 09:24

I kinda enjoyed my 4yrs of bus journey to my sec sch. I had to change 2 buses. It's the time I got to socialize and interact with my sch mates outside the classroom, and also finally a breakaway from my own neighborhood. All these form part of my fond memories in my teenage years..

East Lover
26-11-12, 09:38
my place no direct bus to any schools! i tried google map, either SJI or VS, it will take 2 buses and 55 mins - because 23 takes PIE so faster. even AHS also about 45 mins! :beats-me-man:

not school too far, it's my house too ulu :D
This saturday we took lunch at 112 before went to KTSS, wow, soooo many eating places there... guess what? now i'm excited about the idea of moving to D15 :D

I kinda enjoyed my 4yrs of bus journey to my sec sch. I had to change 2 buses. It's the time I got to socialize and interact with my sch mates outside the classroom, and also finally a breakaway from my own neighborhood. All these form part of my fond memories in my teenage years..

zeamybro
26-11-12, 09:44
my place no direct bus to any schools! i tried google map, either SJI or VS, it will take 2 buses and 55 mins - because 23 takes PIE so faster. even AHS also about 45 mins! :beats-me-man:

not school too far, it's my house too ulu :D
This saturday we took lunch at 112 before went to KTSS, wow, soooo many eating places there... guess what? now i'm excited about the idea of moving to D15 :D

Yeah katong is nice. Used to have many nice eateries along east coast road (opp I12), but now there are even more eateries along tanjong katong road (near the old tkss and tkgs). U can find Ng Ah Sio bakuteh, punggol nasilemak, prata, HK street tzechar, Penang food, jap food, Korean food, award winning ice cream outlets, pizzas, cafes, pubs etc etc

East Lover
26-11-12, 09:48
by the way, i was mislead by google map, say only 5 mins walk from 112 to KTSS, after very heavy 鼎泰丰, we walked under hot sun :o but saw many nice or old landed house, and immiedately let me think of bro radha :D :D :D

Yeah katong is nice. Used to have many nice eateries along east coast road (opp I12), but now there are even more eateries along tanjong katong road (near the old tkss and tkgs). U can find Ng Ah Sio bakuteh, punggol nasilemak, prata, HK street tzechar, Penang food, jap food, Korean food, award winning ice cream outlets, pizzas, cafes, pubs etc etc

buttercarp
26-11-12, 11:56
by the way, i was mislead by google map, say only 5 mins walk from 112 to KTSS, after very heavy 鼎泰丰, we walked under hot sun :o but saw many nice or old landed house, and immiedately let me think of bro radha :D :D :D

Simi si KTSS?
Or r u referring to TKSS?
Maybe google map was correct, mabbe got KTSS (whatever is that) which is 5 min from I12 :D ?

Btw, I heard got another 鼎泰丰 coming up - Parkway Parade 1st floor in Dec.

chiaberry
26-11-12, 12:23

Congrats. Any of those sch would be alright for your son. Ultimately it is down to him to perform.

He is right, more worth it to take taxi than move to D10. or else engage a driver if he's not your only child - this might be a more practical solution. Sch bus would take a long time to get to D10 sch...he would have to wake up very early in the morning. Not all sec sch have sch bus available. You have to check with individual sch.

East Lover
26-11-12, 13:19
Congrats. Any of those sch would be alright for your son. Ultimately it is down to him to perform.

He is right, more worth it to take taxi than move to D10. or else engage a driver if he's not your only child - this might be a more practical solution. Sch bus would take a long time to get to D10 sch...he would have to wake up very early in the morning. Not all sec sch have sch bus available. You have to check with individual sch.
none of schools has direct bus, so distance is not a main factor. my boy likes AHS, he felt AHS is very bright and SJI is very old in term of feeling... but SJI has IP program and it's upgrading.

Any feedback for SJI?

radha08
26-11-12, 14:38
Not to have high expectation as the min intake is 225 moreover there are many dragon kids around compare to other years..leh..:rolleyes: !

Although my kid score is 242, I still let him apply neighborhood school, Jurong Sec, Min intake 225 so he can be the best of the worst :D rather than apply NanHua, become the worst of the Best if he accepted :doh: !

yup i know...just a reminder got to submit by 28th to all those who haven't...:)...

carbuncle
26-11-12, 15:08
i lagi cham... speak hokkien all the way...
never even have a chance to attend kindergarten because no $$
go Primary 1, don't understand what the teacher is saying... luckily my 'girlfriend' helps me to interpret..really no joke...

so my 2 languages all not so good.

at least u spelt kindergarten right with a t instead of d

DC33_2008
26-11-12, 15:26
Had a friend of mine who was a school teacher at SJI taught English and PE. He told me that during PE lesson you can see all these students removing all their branded watches. Once, he in one of the PE sesson and this guy just threw his watch at my friend. He was really shocked. :scared-4:
none of schools has direct bus, so distance is not a main factor. my boy likes AHS, he felt AHS is very bright and SJI is very old in term of feeling... but SJI has IP program and it's upgrading.

Any feedback for SJI?

East Lover
26-11-12, 15:35
so wild?

one friend strongly against SJI, saying they are very hao lian. aonther one highly against AHS vs SJI, saying SJI has IP program, it's upgrading now...

very very few ppl around me are really come from SJI. not like TKSS, so many bro in the forum are from there, so can have insigt knowledge...

one interesting thing to share, my friend said SJI has famous alumni, tony tan, teo cheee hean and george yeo... so I asked the student who is our tour guide during AHS open house, any famous ppl from AHS, he said - i don't know leh...:doh:

Had a friend of mine who was a school teacher at SJI taught English and PE. He told me that during PE lesson you can see all these students removing all their branded watches. Once, he in one of the PE sesson and this guy just threw his watch at my friend. He was really shocked. :scared-4:

gap969
26-11-12, 15:36
Don't know if this was added before

Pos. School 2012 Intake
1 NANYANG GIRLS' HIGH SCHOOL 262
2 RAFFLES GIRLS' SCHOOL (SECONDARY) 261
2 RAFFLES INSTITUTION 261
4 HWA CHONG INSTITUTION 258
4 NATIONAL JUNIOR COLLEGE 258
6 DUNMAN HIGH SCHOOL 256
7 RIVER VALLEY HIGH 254
8 METHODIST GIRLS' SCHOOL 250
9 CEDAR GIRLS' SECONDARY SCHOOL** 249
9 CHIJ ST. NICHOLAS 249
11 CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL 248
11 SINGAPORE CHINESE GIRLS 248
13 ANGLO-CHINESE SCHOOL (INDEPENDENT) 247
13 VICTORIA SCHOOL** 247
15 ANDERSON SECONDARY SCHOOL 245
16 BUKIT PANJANG GOVT. HIGH SCHOOL 244
17 ANGLICAN HIGH SCHOOL 243
17 CRESCENT GIRLS' SCHOOL 243
17 NAN HUA HIGH SCHOOL 243
20 ST. JOSEPH'S INSTITUTION 242
21 CHIJ SECONDARY (TOA PAYOH) 241
22 ST. MARGARET'S SECONDARY SCHOOL 240
23 CHUNG CHENG HIGH SCHOOL (MAIN) 237
24 COMMONWEALTH SECONDARY SCHOOL 236
24 NAN CHIAU HIGH SCHOOL 236
26 SWISS COTTAGE SECONDARY SCHOOL 235
26 TANJONG KATONG GIRLS' SCHOOL 235
26 FAIRFIELD METHODIST SCHOOL (SECONDARY) 235
26 XINMIN SECONDARY SCHOOL 235
30 NGEE ANN SECONDARY SCHOOL 233
30 TANJONG KATONG SECONDARY SCHOOL 233
30 PAYA LEBAR METHODIST GIRLS' SCHOOL (SECONDARY) 233
33 ZHONGHUA SECONDARY SCHOOL 232
33 CHUNG CHENG HIGH SCHOOL (YISHUN) 232
33 MARIS STELLA 232
33 YISHUN TOWN SECONDARY SCHOOL 232
37 ST. ANDREW'S SECONDARY SCHOOL 231
38 KRANJI SECONDARY SCHOOL 230
38 TEMASEK SECONDARY SCHOOL 230
40 DUNMAN SECONDARY SCHOOL 229
40 CLEMENTI TOWN SECONDARY SCHOOL 229
40 PRESBYTERIAN HIGH SCHOOL 229
43 ST. HILDA'S SECONDARY SCHOOL 228
43 FUHUA SECONDARY SCHOOL 228
45 CHIJ ST. JOSEPH'S CONVENT 227
45 RIVERSIDE SECONDARY SCHOOL 227
47 ANG MO KIO SECONDARY SCHOOL 226
47 KUO CHUAN PRESBYTERIAN SECONDARY SCHOOL 226
47 ST. ANTHONY'S CANOSSIAN SECONDARY SCHOOL 226
50 HAI SING CATHOLIC SCHOOL 225
50 JURONG SECONDARY SCHOOL 225
52 CHIJ KATONG CONVENT 224
52 CHIJ ST. THERESA'S CONVENT 224
52 GAN ENG SENG SCHOOL 224
55 BOWEN SECONDARY SCHOOL 223
56 WEST SPRING SECONDARY SCHOOL 222
56 BUKIT BATOK SECONDARY SCHOOL 222
56 EVERGREEN SECONDARY SCHOOL 222
59 PASIR RIS SECONDARY SCHOOL 221
59 ST. PATRICK'S SCHOOL 221
61 HUA YI SECONDARY SCHOOL 220
61 MAYFLOWER SECONDARY SCHOOL 220
63 HOLY INNOCENTS' HIGH SCHOOL 219
63 UNITY SECONDARY SCHOOL 219
65 PASIR RIS CREST SECONDARY SCHOOL 218
66 AHMAD IBRAHIM SECONDARY SCHOOL 217
66 BEDOK VIEW SECONDARY SCHOOL 217
66 CHUA CHU KANG SECONDARY SCHOOL 217
66 GEYLANG METHODIST SCHOOL (SECONDARY) 217
70 ST. GABRIEL'S SECONDARY SCHOOL 216
70 BEATTY SECONDARY SCHOOL 216
72 COMPASSVALE SECONDARY SCHOOL 215
72 WOODLANDS RING SECONDARY SCHOOL 215
74 YUAN CHING SECONDARY SCHOOL 214
75 BEDOK SOUTH SECONDARY SCHOOL 213
75 DEYI SECONDARY SCHOOL 213
77 EDGEFIELD SECONDARY SCHOOL 212
77 ORCHID PARK SECONDARY SCHOOL 212
77 QUEENSWAY SECONDARY SCHOOL 212
77 ZHENGHUA SECONDARY SCHOOL 212
81 CORAL SECONDARY SCHOOL 210
81 WESTWOOD SECONDARY SCHOOL 210
81 WOODGROVE SECONDARY SCHOOL 210
84 PEIRCE SECONDARY SCHOOL 209
85 YISHUN SECONDARY SCHOOL 208
85 EAST SPRING SECONDARY SCHOOL 208
87 GREENRIDGE SECONDARY SCHOOL 207
87 NORTH VISTA SECONDARY SCHOOL 207
89 ADMIRALTY SECONDARY SCHOOL 206
89 MONTFORT SECONDARY SCHOOL 206
89 DUNEARN SECONDARY SCHOOL 206
92 BEDOK GREEN SECONDARY SCHOOL 205
92 JURONGVILLE SECONDARY SCHOOL 205
94 BUKIT VIEW SECONDARY SCHOOL 204
94 TAMPINES SECONDARY SCHOOL 204
96 CANBERRA SECONDARY SCHOOL 203
97 HOUGANG SECONDARY SCHOOL 202
97 NEW TOWN SECONDARY SCHOOL 202
97 DAMAI SECONDARY SCHOOL 202
97 PEI HWA SECONDARY SCHOOL 202
101 QUEENSTOWN SECONDARY SCHOOL 201
101 CHRIST CHURCH SECONDARY SCHOOL 201
101 HILLGROVE SECONDARY SCHOOL 201
104 JUNYUAN SECONDARY SCHOOL 200
104 MANJUSRI SECONDARY SCHOOL 200
104 NAVAL BASE SECONDARY SCHOOL 200
107 SENG KANG SECONDARY SCHOOL 196
108 GREENDALE SECONDARY SCHOOL 195
108 GUANGYANG SECONDARY SCHOOL 195
110 GREENVIEW SECONDARY SCHOOL 193
110 JURONG WEST SECONDARY SCHOOL 193
112 KENT RIDGE SECONDARY SCHOOL 190
112 MARSILING SECONDARY SCHOOL 190
112 PUNGGOL SECONDARY SCHOOL 190
112 SI LING SECONDARY SCHOOL 190
116 ANGLO-CHINESE SCHOOL (BARKER ROAD)* 189
116 BALESTIER HILL SECONDARY SCHOOL 189
116 CHESTNUT DRIVE SECONDARY SCHOOL 189
116 FIRST TOA PAYOH SECONDARY SCHOOL 189
116 REGENT SECONDARY SCHOOL 189
116 TECK WHYE SECONDARY SCHOOL 189
122 ASSUMPTION ENGLISH SCHOOL 188
122 BEDOK NORTH SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 BEDOK TOWN SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 BENDEMEER SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 BOON LAY SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 BROADRICK SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 FAJAR SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 HONG KAH SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 NORTHLAND SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 TANGLIN SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 WOODLANDS SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 YUYING SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 BARTLEY SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 BISHAN PARK SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 BUKIT MERAH SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 CHANGKAT CHANGI SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 CHONG BOON SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 CLEMENTI WOODS SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 EAST VIEW SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 FUCHUN SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 HENDERSON SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 JUYING SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 LOYANG SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 MACPHERSON SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 NORTH VIEW SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 NORTHBROOKS SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 OUTRAM SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 PEICAI SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 PING YI SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 PIONEER SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 SEMBAWANG SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 SERANGOON GARDEN SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 SERANGOON SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 SHUQUN SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 SIGLAP SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 SPRINGFIELD SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 WHITLEY SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 YIO CHU KANG SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 YUHUA SECONDARY SCHOOL 188
122 YUSOF ISHAK SECONDARY SCHOOL 188

* ACS Barker accepts affiliated students only
** Cedar Girls' and Victoria School have started accepting Integrated Program (IP) students at secondary 1 level. Cedar's cut-off for the IP is 258, while Victoria's is 255.

The race for brainy students will heat up when 6 other schools start accepting IP students at secondary 1 level, starting in 2013. These schools include St Joseph's Institution, Anglo Chinese School (Independent), Singapore Chinese Girls', Catholic High, St. Nicholas and Methodist Girls'.

The original data provided by MOE came with the median PSLE scores of each school's new cohort, and most of them are basically additions of 2-9 points from the minimum cut-off points as shown above. The definite trend is therefore that the majority of students take cut-off points as one of their main considerations in their school selection.

East Lover
26-11-12, 15:43
found this.

http://www.sji.edu.sg/admin/userfiles/file/pdf/160110%20ST%20Leadership%20talks%20by%20outstanding%20SJI%20alumni.pdf (http://www.sji.edu.sg/admin/userfiles/file/pdf/160110%20ST%20Leadership%20talks%20by%20outstanding%20SJI%20alumni.pdf)

Notable SJI alumni include Deputy · Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, President Tony Tan, ex foreign minister Geoge Yeo, philip yeo

SJI’s holistic, value-centric education has produced for Singapore many outstanding leaders in politics, the public sector, business, the
professions, the arts and entertainment, sports and civil society.

East Lover
26-11-12, 15:50
I don't know which to be first choice - SJI or AHS?

Don't know if this was added before

Pos. School 2012 Intake

13 VICTORIA SCHOOL** 247
17 ANGLICAN HIGH SCHOOL 243
20 ST. JOSEPH'S INSTITUTION 242

The race for brainy students will heat up when 6 other schools start accepting IP students at secondary 1 level, starting in 2013. These schools include St Joseph's Institution, Anglo Chinese School (Independent), Singapore Chinese Girls', Catholic High, St. Nicholas and Methodist Girls'.

The original data provided by MOE came with the median PSLE scores of each school's new cohort, and most of them are basically additions of 2-9 points from the minimum cut-off points as shown above. The definite trend is therefore that the majority of students take cut-off points as one of their main considerations in their school selection.

Laguna
26-11-12, 15:56
I don't know which to be first choice - SJI or AHS?

consider
1, which one your child like
2, the distance and transport

moneytalk
26-11-12, 16:42
found this.

http://www.sji.edu.sg/admin/userfiles/file/pdf/160110%20ST%20Leadership%20talks%20by%20outstanding%20SJI%20alumni.pdf (http://www.sji.edu.sg/admin/userfiles/file/pdf/160110%20ST%20Leadership%20talks%20by%20outstanding%20SJI%20alumni.pdf)

Notable SJI alumni include Deputy · Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, President Tony Tan, ex foreign minister Geoge Yeo, philip yeo

SJI’s holistic, value-centric education has produced for Singapore many outstanding leaders in politics, the public sector, business, the
professions, the arts and entertainment, sports and civil society.

The MP of Moulmein-Kallang GRC Mr. Edwin Tong, who is defending Kong Hee of City Harvest, was from SJI.

East Lover
26-11-12, 16:46
consider
1, which one your child like
2, the distance and transport
then only AHS...

is it very risky to put VS as first choice? but most of the school will accept appeal only if you put them in the first choice, and I want to appeal leh

moneytalk
26-11-12, 16:50
then only AHS...

is it very risky to put VS as first choice? but most of the school will accept appeal only if you put them in the first choice, and I want to appeal leh

I don't about present system but is there a lower cut-off point for art elective students?

buttercarp
26-11-12, 17:07
then only AHS...

If your son really wants VS, then put it as first choice.
It will not jeopardize his second choice.

If cannot get VS, can always appeal and see how.

So he not considering TKSS as his top 3 choices?

Actually TKSS students >50% are from well to do families, considering the cars their parents drive and the stuff they own and quite a handful are from our neighbouring countries (in my son's class got Burmese, Vietnamnese, Korean, China, Indonesian, Malaysian).
However, according to my son, his friends are not hao lian. They, or at least his friends don't look down on friends that do not own branded stuff.