PDA

View Full Version : Help...My daughter is taking Mandarin in P1..

radha08
14-11-12, 09:43
My first daughter took hindi in P1...and for many many years i had a quarrel
with my wife about this...and NOW the time has come for my no2 to go P1...so we have decided she is going to do mandarin as 2nd language...:D

Afterall India and China are the next superpowers...:cheers5:

Anyway coming from a non mandarin speaking background...any bro/sis got tips...to guide me thru...i also thinking of signing up for beginners mandarin or something...:D..so i can learn hand in hand with my kid...its nice to keep learning in life...especially when u grow old....otherwise the mind keep thinking of all kind of nonsense...:D

Afterall it is an asset...to know mandarin...right now i specialize in hokkien vulgarities...:D:D:D:D:D...but i dont think thats going to get me anywhere maybe a black eye or something like that haha....:scared-3:

ikan bilis
14-11-12, 09:55
if you got a 3rd daughter, i guess you will send her for malay language (indonesian market)... :rolleyes:

umm... for mandarin,... just employ carbuncle as tutor lor.... :D

radha08
14-11-12, 09:57
if you got a 3rd daughter, i guess you will send her for malay language (indonesian market)... :rolleyes:

bro...saya belajar melayu bila saya kecil...saya suka perempuan mealyu....si-bei sexy.....:D:D:D:D

translated it means i studied malay when young..and the sexy part go figure...:D:D:D

mkl22
14-11-12, 09:58
the quarrel with your wife was because you wanted your 1st daughter to do mandarin initially? so now for your 2nd she relented? ya... 3rd one should do malay-indonesian...

roly8
14-11-12, 10:01
you better get your own family to learn mandarin ...

you will know how it benefit you in the long run..

radha08
14-11-12, 10:02
the quarrel with your wife was because you wanted your 1st daughter to do mandarin initially? so now for your 2nd she relented? ya... 3rd one should do malay-indonesian...

ya really i not happy but she got support of my mother now many years later they realize...ha what the use of talking hindi in spore talk mandarin la...so no2 and maybe me going to learn mandarin...:cheers5:

iwantgizmos
14-11-12, 10:08
http://www.mandarin.org.sg/images/stories/inspiration/postcards/cool%20speak%20postcard%20-%20daniel%20ong.jpg

Mary Lee
14-11-12, 10:31
You only have to know English and Mandarin to go around the world.

Every day turn on Channel 8.

mkl22
14-11-12, 11:00
i think the best languages for world wide use are English, mandarin and Spanish. i think you can cover almost 70% of the world's population liao.

radha08
14-11-12, 11:12
i think the best languages for world wide use are English, mandarin and Spanish. i think you can cover almost 70% of the world's population liao.

why spanish....so u can buy properties at spain firesale...:scared-1::D

carbuncle
14-11-12, 11:18

umm... for mandarin,... just employ carbuncle as tutor lor.... :D

siao. my dad chinese teacher doesnt mean i got the teaching genes

he never taught me anyway. i even had to help him mark scripts.

zzz1
14-11-12, 11:44
My first daughter took hindi in P1...and for many many years i had a quarrel
with my wife about this...and NOW the time has come for my no2 to go P1...so we have decided she is going to do mandarin as 2nd language...:D

Afterall India and China are the next superpowers...:cheers5:

Anyway coming from a non mandarin speaking background...any bro/sis got tips...to guide me thru...i also thinking of signing up for beginners mandarin or something...:D..so i can learn hand in hand with my kid...its nice to keep learning in life...especially when u grow old....otherwise the mind keep thinking of all kind of nonsense...:D

Afterall it is an asset...to know mandarin...right now i specialize in hokkien vulgarities...:D:D:D:D:D...but i dont think thats going to get me anywhere maybe a black eye or something like that haha....:scared-3:

if your kid have not gone thru the basic in kindergarten , suggest that u go for enrichment class NOW.....
those din go thru during kindergarten will be lagging and struggle in P1, and that will demoralise them to pick up in P1

chiaberry
14-11-12, 12:08
Engage a Chinese tutor (no choice unless your kid is super intelligent and quick to pick up).

I also did no Chinese in sch (was educated overseas) and my partner failed O level Chinese but my kids are OK (all qualified for Higher Chinese in upper Pri). We don't speak Chinese at home.

Some kids are good in languages. My dad was Chinese ed (born in China - 1st generation immigrant) but picked up Eng in Sec Sch. When he was a teenager, he picked up Tamil from the streets and also some Japanese during the occupation. He assisted the Japs to translate orders to the Indian coolies. He got some food rations in return. That's not bad for a young teenager (he was in his early teens at the time when he worked for the Japs). Unfortunately, neither his kids nor grandkids have such great ability for languages. Perhaps the next generation......

Mary Lee
14-11-12, 12:19

You guys only talk about property

三句话不离本行

radha08
14-11-12, 12:20
You guys only talk about property

三句话不离本行

yup most of time...:)

radha08
14-11-12, 12:21
三句话不离本行

never to say three sentences without talking about one's own work; can hardly open one's mouth without talking shop; never to begin a talk without referring to one's own line; talk always about one's own line; talk shop all the time

my first mandarin lesson....:D

Mary Lee
14-11-12, 12:38
radha08

I can teach your daughter Chinese, but you will have to teach me Property - at the moment, to buy a good unit for my own stay.

My children got all As in Chinese.

zeamybro
14-11-12, 12:45
My grandfather is english educated and speaks fluent english, but he sent my dad to chinese sch and his chinese is good but english terok. End up i am good in neither....

mkl22
14-11-12, 13:43

spanish cause a huge population in south america. In most of the developed countries you can use english. In China , Mandarin. For India, English works. In developing markets the next biggest population speaks spanish.

indomie
14-11-12, 13:55
My 12 years son doing the standard cambrige style english school. My 7 years old doing taiwan international school, with almost no english. I am not a competent chinese speaker myself. My son has to learn the complex chinese character. I pity him sometimes...

radha08
14-11-12, 14:56
radha08

I can teach your daughter Chinese, but you will have to teach me Property - at the moment, to buy a good unit for my own stay.

My children got all As in Chinese.

aiyo u asking wrong person la...i am property-GOONDU....going round and round in circles...but but but soon i will stop going round..tks to all the good bro/sis here....:cheers5:

carbuncle
14-11-12, 15:28
i await the day with bated breast!!!!

Mary Lee
14-11-12, 15:36
aiyo u asking wrong person la...i am property-GOONDU....going round and round in circles...but but but soon i will stop going round..tks to all the good bro/sis here....:cheers5:

just kidding lah, otherwise got nothing to say except asking questions about property

Laguna
14-11-12, 16:53
Jim Roger came to Sg to let his daughters to study Chinese.

For me, I got A for chinese as first language and F9 when I took it as second lauguage. It is not a joke, it is true

radha08
14-11-12, 18:41
i await the day with bated breast!!!!

trust me bro...may the breast be with you...:D:D:D:D:D

radha08
14-11-12, 18:43
just kidding lah, otherwise got nothing to say except asking questions about property
no prob sis i am the forum joker most of my post end with....:D:D:D

spyro
14-11-12, 21:33
Read chinese newspaper. 晚报 or 早报. It helps. I slept thru my chinese class in school n still get A1 for it. :D My classmates damn tulan, haha...:rolleyes: