PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Ang Pow

irisng
07-11-12, 11:37
There is a discussion on school and parents allowance, how about the wedding ang pow, any contributions?:p

iwantgizmos
07-11-12, 12:36
There is a discussion on school and parents allowance, how about the wedding ang pow, any contributions?:p
http://perfectweddings.sg/forums/downloads/2012-ang-bao-market-rates.pdf

reporter2
07-11-12, 13:31
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/newordernonsense/photo-12_zps4bc6b477.jpg

buttercarp
07-11-12, 13:35
I am so sick of wedding ang pow thingy.
I just tell them I am not available on that day and give them a token of appreciation or a gift.

CondoWE
07-11-12, 14:18
I just tell them I am not available on that day and give them a token of appreciation or a gift.

If everyone has the same thinking, soon or later...there will be no wedding dinner liao seem nobody want to come..:banghead:

blessy888
07-11-12, 15:26

Agree. This is such a sad truth of life. Ex-colleage invited us for her daughter's wedding lunch and the ang pow given to her was pretty attractive. She was totally out of touch after the wedding and did not contact me after that.

howgozit
07-11-12, 16:48
Nobody wants to receive a gift.... most gifts are recycled items anyway... like the extra (and crappy) coffee maker or oven toaster that you got on your own wedding or Christmas and you can't wait to get rid of.

By token of appreciation, I suppose you mean also ang pow... that also has a market rate...

Either way... weddings are stressful affairs for both the bride, groom, their families and their guests.

zeamybro
07-11-12, 17:02
Sometimes, i feel wedding banquet matters most to the parents of the newly wed couple ... for them to 交待 their relatives .... and not so much for the couple themselves.

PN
07-11-12, 17:22
I don't attend weddings from non-close friends & they also don't invite me anyway.

But I'll try my best effort to attend weddings from close friends/relatives. But no more friends weddings as all are married liao. Those who chose to remain single still remain single.

Wedding dinner is a good tradition which we should still have. In the past years when I attended those friends/relatives weddings, I get to catch up with some old friends. Now not many wedding dinners, lost touch with some of them.

Ask yourself if you would like your daughter/son to have a wedding dinners when they get married. Ask for their opinions as well. Imagine a wedding with just 10 persons (parents from both sides), isn't that very boring? 缺少喜庆和气氛。But don't invite everyone lah. Be selective and invite only close friends and close relatives. Those who you know will sincerely want to share your family happiness. Forget about those very distance relatives who you don't even know how they looks like. You don't know them well and they may just don't turn up & screw up all your planning. Plan for between 10 to 20 tables ok lah.

So still need to retain this wedding ANG POW tradition lor.

Pikachu1245
07-11-12, 18:11

Talk about wedding 'Ang Bao', I witness a case whereby a lady claiming she has went to the wrong wedding and she has dropped the 'Ang Bao' into the 'Ang Bao' box. She insists that the 'Ang Bao' box should be opened up while the bridegroom and bride are still busy entertaining guess.

The 'sister' of the bride then ask how much she has put in the 'Ang Bao' that is dropped into 'Ang Bao' box?

She claim she has put S$50 into the 'Ang Bao' and insist to get back her 'Ang Bao' back from the 'Ang Bao' box which has no marking.

One of the sister then pass her S$50 so that the 'Ang Bao' box does not have to be opened as there are many guess coming for the wedding.

Wondering is the lady guest a professional con woman? Are there syndicate doing this or pure mistake?

Anyone similar experience or heard of such incident?

This is more likely in setting where there are more that one wedding at similar locations.

Bridegroom & bride-to-be be watchful, ok?............;)

carbuncle
07-11-12, 18:54
wedding is once in a lifetime affair. do attend if its close friends. usually close friends will have their own separate celebration anyway.

if non close friend invite, just turn down politely or make up some out of country excuse. just dont go and post stupid facebook updates or photos of where you are on that day....

cavaliver
07-11-12, 19:52
wedding is once in a lifetime affair. do attend if its close friends. usually close friends will have their own separate celebration anyway.

if non close friend invite, just turn down politely or make up some out of country excuse. just dont go and post stupid facebook updates or photos of where you are on that day....

Agreed :ashamed1:

We lead such busy lives that sometimes we only meet some friends or relatives during weddings ... & funeral

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXUpe3jlkA

buttercarp
07-11-12, 19:57
If everyone has the same thinking, soon or later...there will be no wedding dinner liao seem nobody want to come..:banghead:

Should be that way.
Why should we stress ourselves, parents, relatives and friends when we get married?
Just sign at ROM can already, then send a message to friends and relatives or announce on facebook or twitter that you got married and that's it.

cavaliver
07-11-12, 20:12
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BruniD7heas

irisng
08-11-12, 08:07
Talk about wedding 'Ang Bao', I witness a case whereby a lady claiming she has went to the wrong wedding and she has dropped the 'Ang Bao' into the 'Ang Bao' box. She insists that the 'Ang Bao' box should be opened up while the bridegroom and bride are still busy entertaining guess.

The 'sister' of the bride then ask how much she has put in the 'Ang Bao' that is dropped into 'Ang Bao' box?

She claim she has put S$50 into the 'Ang Bao' and insist to get back her 'Ang Bao' back from the 'Ang Bao' box which has no marking.

One of the sister then pass her S$50 so that the 'Ang Bao' box does not have to be opened as there are many guess coming for the wedding.

Wondering is the lady guest a professional con woman? Are there syndicate doing this or pure mistake?

This is more likely in setting where there are more that one wedding at similar locations.

Ya, came across a case, my ex-colleague's brother-in-law attended a relative wedding dinner on behalf of his mother. He didn't know them. When he reached there, he gave the ang pow to the host. Half way through the dinner, he realised that he knew nobody there which later he found out that he had gone to the wrong dinner ceremony.:doh:

zzz1
08-11-12, 08:22

The sister did the very right thing and managed the suituation very well for not causing a commotion in such a occasion.

Alot if time , things are matter of benefit of doubts ...this instance nn body can prove..

buttercarp
08-11-12, 08:43
Ya, came across a case, my ex-colleague's brother-in-law attended a relative wedding dinner on behalf of his mother. He didn't know them. When he reached there, he gave the ang pow to the host. Half way through the dinner, he realised that he knew nobody there which later he found out that he had gone to the wrong dinner ceremony.:doh:

Why the host is so disorganised?
Don't they allocate fixed seating areas to their guests?
Mark the guest name and tell them their seat, then write the name on the ang pow.
Better still, open the ang pow and write the amount next to the name of the guest in the list.

howgozit
08-11-12, 09:37
This is a con.

And she knows $50 is a small enough amount for for the host to settle the issue so as not to disrupt the celebrations.

Btw... $50... is a non-standard ang pao amount.

Ilikeu
08-11-12, 09:47
For me, I have always endeavour best to attend all the weddings i am invited to. Weddings is the single most important event (IMO) that one will have and if he/she invited me, it meant that the couple want me to share their joy and witness the occasion, rather than trying to "profit" from the ang pow collection vs the dinner cost. Although sometimes I do feel the "pinch" of giving the ang pow for an "expensive dinner or lunch", I do feel a sense of happiness for the couple and do feel great that I was there to see witness their celebration.

fclim
08-11-12, 09:51

Do you think there are people who attend wedding dinners for free? I mean, dress nicely, go late when wedding about to start, look for some tables with empty seats at the rear (usually, not so close relatives or friends are seated at the rear). Most of the time, people at such tables dun really know each other. Just sit down and enjoy the 9 course dinner.

If bride/groom comes for photograph, make excuse to go toilet for a while....hahaha.

PN
08-11-12, 10:31
Do you think there are people who attend wedding dinners for free? I mean, dress nicely, go late when wedding about to start, look for some tables with empty seats at the rear (usually, not so close relatives or friends are seated at the rear). Most of the time, people at such tables dun really know each other. Just sit down and enjoy the 9 course dinner.

If bride/groom comes for photograph, make excuse to go toilet for a while....hahaha.
This did happen during the kampung days. Gangsters just sit down and you don't want to offend them. Surprise to know this still happens today.

But I do heard of guest putting small piece of newspaper inside the ang pow from a friend. Obviously this is the result of inviting not so close friends or neighbors to attend. They TL kena invited and go there eat for free & give you a piece of his mind.

irisng
09-11-12, 07:30
Why the host is so disorganised?
Don't they allocate fixed seating areas to their guests?
Mark the guest name and tell them their seat, then write the name on the ang pow.
Better still, open the ang pow and write the amount next to the name of the guest in the list.

I don't think last time it was so organised like now.

irisng
09-11-12, 07:53
I'll try to attend to any wedding invitation that is sent to me. This year very "jialat", 3 wedding, 1 housewarming and 1 colleague daughter 1st month celebration. Two of the wedding was actually my husband's aunties' daugher, one of the aunties meet her once a year if she happened to go to my mother-in-law's house while the other, never see her for more than 5 yrs already. They don't even know my address and I don't even know their wedding dates, they sent the invitation cards to my mother-in-law and my mother-in-law had forgotten to inform us, so we missed out these 2 wedding dinners.