PDA

View Full Version : Reduced supply pushes prices up

reporter2
05-11-12, 15:43
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/saturday/premium/singapore/story/reduced-supply-pushes-prices-20121103

HDB RESALE FLATS

Reduced supply pushes prices up

More upgraders choose to sublet their HDB units rather than sell

Published on Nov 03, 2012

By Rachel Chang

DESPITE a record number of new flats launched by the Housing Board (HDB), prices of resale units continue to rise - 3.9 per cent so far this year - outpacing both the private market and economic growth.

This, said analysts, is largely due to a reduced supply of resale flats as more HDB dwellers choose to sublet their units when they upgrade to a private home.

Helped by low interest rates and healthy rentals from HDB units, these dual-property owners - of whom there are 33,000, or 4 per cent of all HDB flat owners - can use the rental to help cover mortgage payments on their private property.

Owners and analysts said a 2010 cooling measure - which barred private-property owners from owning both private and public homes - has also made HDB upgraders more determined to hang onto their flats.

Owners of private property who buy HDB flats must dispose of their private home within six months.

However, those who own flats can still buy private property.

And after they have stayed in the flats for the minimum five years, or less in some cases, they can rent out the whole unit while living in their condos.

"We know that once we sell it, we probably cannot buy again," said housewife Sakura Siow, 38, of her family's Jurong flat. They moved into a condominium in 2010.

"The rules keep changing for people with two properties so we are scared that we will not be able to come back into HDB if we sell."

The number of resale transactions has dropped by a quarter since the 2010 measure. In 2010, 32,000 resale flats changed hands. Last year, this fell to 25,000 and the figure for this year is expected to be the same.

At the same time, the number of HDB units rented out has skyrocketed. In 2009, about 24,000 units were approved for subletting by HDB. This has surged to 43,000 as of the third quarter of this year, an 80 per cent increase. This means that about 4.5 per cent of the stock of HDB flats is being sublet out.

Agency bosses said their subletting business has grown by 10 to 20 per cent while resale transactions have shrunk by about the same proportion.

But as resale flat prices have been rising quickly, Propnex Realty chief executive Mohamed Ismail said commissions are still healthy.

While the money agents make from rental deals is less than from resale transactions, Rainbow Cottage key executive officer David Huan said subletting deals are agents' "bread-and-butter" as commissions come in more quickly than for resale ones.

DWG senior manager of training, research and consultancy Lee Sze Teck expects the bottleneck in the supply of resale flats to ease in a few years, when those who are waiting for their new flats to be built get their keys and sell their old units.

With the Government curbing the number of foreign workers and a huge supply of new flats and private units, analysts expect rental yields to fall in a few years.

The HDB has rolled out a record 27,000 new flats this year, and there are over 100,000 new private residential units and executive condominiums in the pipeline.

For now, dual-property owners like Mr Ryan Sim, 38, are sitting pretty. The micro-processor firm boss moved his family into an East Coast condo and is renting out his Simei five-room flat for $2,900.

"It's better to keep the HDB flat because there's more oversupply of condos coming than flats," he said.

[email protected]

radha08
05-11-12, 17:53
new CM coming:cool:

carbuncle
05-11-12, 17:57
new CM coming:cool:

Astute observation bro.

This line in smaller print

"More upgraders choose to sublet their HDB units rather than sell"

already hints at the upcoming cm focus is on hdb subletting. I m guessing there may be implemented a MRP (maximum rental period) of 5 yrs.

chestnut
05-11-12, 18:08
Astute observation bro.

This line in smaller print

"More upgraders choose to sublet their HDB units rather than sell"

already hints at the upcoming cm focus is on hdb subletting. I m guessing there may be implemented a MRP (maximum rental period) of 5 yrs.

Then where the work permit people sleep?

dtrax
05-11-12, 18:15
Hostels will huat more. $30+ per night for a boutique hostel, Bulk booking even cheaper if book block dates. Av 500+ per month with a room with av 10-18 people. Since not fully occupied 24/7, the work permit pple can have more privacy n bigger room. Coupled with business lounge/free wifi/pantry/work stations. What's more stay in hostel CCR area, save on transport cost, access gd food and so on. I already seen many hostel operators are diversifying in different target market unlike traditional backpackers..

kane
05-11-12, 18:16
Then where the work permit people sleep?

Tighter hdb rental supply is actually bullish for rentaal rates. Instead of cooling the market they may end up making it hotter.

focus
05-11-12, 18:32
Maybe the new rule is "If you have HDB and pte, you can only stay in HDB and sublet the HDB as well as rent out the pte."

chestnut
05-11-12, 18:39
Maybe the new rule is "If you have HDB and pte, you can only stay in HDB and sublet the HDB as well as rent out the pte."

Bro, that is old rule in 1990s. Looks like u damn young. Hahahaha

chestnut
05-11-12, 18:41
Hostels will huat more. $30+ per night for a boutique hostel, Bulk booking even cheaper if book block dates. Av 500+ per month with a room with av 10-18 people. Since not fully occupied 24/7, the work permit pple can have more privacy n bigger room. Coupled with business lounge/free wifi/pantry/work stations. What's more stay in hostel CCR area, save on transport cost, access gd food and so on. I already seen many hostel operators are diversifying in different target market unlike traditional backpackers..

How many hostel to take care of this group. But u are right. Need to be innovative. Hahaha:cheers5:

dtrax
05-11-12, 18:47
No worries on that, since hostel not 100% fully occupied, why not just take in these pple to offset their monthly rental, otherwise the bed is still empty. Hostel biz is about selling beds like hotel sell rooms, each hostel got is own breakeven per bed. As long as I sell at or above breakeven, that's all it matters.

chestnut
05-11-12, 18:50
No worries on that, since hostel not 100% fully occupied, why not just take in these pple to offset their monthly rental, otherwise the bed is still empty. Hostel biz is about selling beds like hotel sell rooms, each hostel got is own breakeven per bed. As long as I sell at or above breakeven, that's all it matters.

Bro, don't get me wrong. I think this one doable. Just that not enough hostel. But I think they make more money from people popping in. But really doable.

If each hostel, they make say 5k nett from this, they open 10 of this, the boss makes 50k swee swee. That is per month. Not bad wat.

dtrax
05-11-12, 19:02
Bro, don't get me wrong. I think this one doable. Just that not enough hostel. But I think they make more money from people popping in. But really doable.

If each hostel, they make say 5k nett from this, they open 10 of this, the boss makes 50k swee swee. That is per month. Not bad wat.

Yup it is very doable, other than backpackers. Problem is opening one is not easy since location is the key as well fire safety requirements on the physical unit muz be compatible unless the operator is not going to register for Hotel license. Learn quite alot on this as my friend is looking to open at at the moment.

chestnut
05-11-12, 19:19
Yup it is very doable, other than backpackers. Problem is opening one is not easy since location is the key as well fire safety requirements on the physical unit muz be compatible unless the operator is not going to register for Hotel license. Learn quite alot on this as my friend is looking to open at at the moment.

Actually profitable biz. The key is to open many so u make more. Machiam like breadtalk, crystal jade, hotel 81.... Definitely doable. I was eating good chance popiah and just a few shops away, I saw backpacker joint. Cool.