PDA

View Full Version : POSB Go! Debit Vs DBS Credit card

carbuncle
01-11-12, 12:02
From the rewards redemption standpoint, am sure many of you have studies and compared.

POSB Debit - 0.3% cashback per quarter with minimum S$500 spent in period

DBS Credit - NTUC FairPrice S$10 Voucher with 900 DBS Points (S$4500 spent), translates to 0.22% back

OCBC credit card has S$20 NTUC voucher for OCBC$5100 spent (S$1 to ocbc$1), translates to 0.39% back

For me, as i hate to keep track of CC spend, i think will just stick to POSB Go as main card... How about some of you? Share share your findings leh...

And have any of you come across any establishments in SG that dont accept Debit card? Only came across some online eshops or PayPal like merchants with such issue.

buttercarp
01-11-12, 12:29
I usually use 2 credit cards.
Citibank world dividend (platinum) card cos it has the best deal for petrol at Esso.

Then for big sum eg $4000 i use stan chart manhatten card.
This one gives a maximum cash back of 5% if you spend more than $3k per statement period per quarter.

There is a blog which I find useful regarding credit cards.

http://credit-card-offers-sg.blogspot.sg/search/label/Citibank%20Cards

CondoWE
01-11-12, 12:29
Standard Chartered Bonus$aver Current Account - you can get a remarkable 1.88% p.a.* interest on your savings, from your first dollar up to a balance of S$25,000. As long as you charge a minimum of S$500 a month to your Bonus$aver World MasterCard Credit or Debit Card.

CondoWE
01-11-12, 12:33
Citibank world dividend (platinum) card cos it has the best deal for petrol at Esso.

This one gives a maximum cash back of 5% if you spend more than $3k per statement period per quarter.

For Esso petrol, DBS card has best deal than Citibank dividend card(CDC) if I remember correctly..:rolleyes: .

buttercarp
01-11-12, 12:45
For Esso petrol, DBS card has best deal than Citibank dividend card(CDC) if I remember correctly..:rolleyes: .

According to the website i quoted,

Here is another discount offer from Citibank for Esso Petrol. Take note of the components.

For Citibank Dividend Card

5% Esso Site Discount
2.1% or 2.9% (250 litres and above) Smiles savings equivalent (Need to apply)
5% Esso Mobil Privilege Card (Exclusive to Citibank Credit Card holders. Need to apply)
5% Citibank Dividend Card CashbackTotal = 17.1% Discount

The author's conclusion:
Comparing to DBS Esso Platinum Card, I think Citibank Dividend Card is better only if you combine with Smiles and Esso Mobil Privilege Card.

DBS Esso Platinum Card

5% Esso Site Discount
8% DBS Esso Platinum Card Discount
1.9% or 2.6%(above 250 litres per month) Smiles Equivalent Petrol SavingsTotal = 14.9% or 15.6% discount in total

CondoWE
01-11-12, 13:03
According to the website i quoted,

Here is another discount offer from Citibank for Esso Petrol. Take note of the components.

For Citibank Dividend Card

5% Esso Site Discount
5% Esso Mobil Privilege Card (Exclusive to Citibank Credit Card holders. Need to apply)
5% Citibank Dividend Card CashbackTotal = 17.1% Discount

The author's conclusion:
Comparing to DBS Esso Platinum Card, I think Citibank Dividend Card is better only if you combine with Smiles and Esso Mobil Privilege Card.

DBS Esso Platinum Card

5% Esso Site Discount
8% DBS Esso Platinum Card Discount
1.9% or 2.6%(above 250 litres per month) Smiles Equivalent Petrol SavingsTotal = 14.9% or 15.6% discount in total

How to apply?

carbuncle
01-11-12, 13:07
How to apply?

Bro, thrust a woman to sniff out best deals always ok!

buttercarp
01-11-12, 13:13
Bro, thrust a woman to sniff out best deals always ok!

I give you an F for spelling.

buttercarp
01-11-12, 13:16
How to apply?

Citibank- no need to apply.
DBS - apply by filling up a form that is found in Esso station (ask the cashier).

http://www.essosmiles.com.sg/en/aboutsmiles_faq.aspx

The card looks like that :
http://www.exxonmobil.com.sg/AP-English/Images/240x240_ps_essomobil_card.jpg

radha08
01-11-12, 13:19
actually today they make it so attractive to use credit cards u get all kind of discount like last time at carrefour 10% with ur posb master card..or something like that...maybe thats why they CLOSE shop..:scared-1: :D

CondoWE
01-11-12, 13:38
Citibank- no need to apply.
DBS - apply by filling up a form that is found in Esso station (ask the cashier).

http://www.essosmiles.com.sg/en/aboutsmiles_faq.aspx

The card looks like that :
http://www.exxonmobil.com.sg/AP-English/Images/240x240_ps_essomobil_card.jpg

Before your post, i have called Esso and the CSO ask me to call Citibank, Citibank CSO ask me to call Sale Department, SD CSO ask me to call Esso...:banghead: !

After I scolded them, the SD CSO said apply thru' Citibank online once it approved and recieved the card....call Citibank again to activate the link..:doh: .

When I go to Citibank online, then found that I still need to mail out the application instead of online application...I m like ....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: !

I think it will easier to go Esso station to apply instead ..:doh: .

price
01-11-12, 13:44

Best petrol deal = POSB Everyday with SPC cheaper than esso.

buttercarp
01-11-12, 13:45
Before your post, i have called Esso and the CSO ask me to call Citibank, Citibank CSO ask me to call Sale Department, SD CSO ask me to call Esso...:banghead: !

After I scolded them, the SD CSO said apply thru' Citibank online once it approved and recieved the card....call Citibank again to activate the link..:doh: .

When I go to Citibank online, then found that I still need to mail out the application instead of online application...I m like ....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: !

I think it will easier to go Esso station to apply instead ..:doh: .

Citibank no need to apply.
Maybe that's why they are so blur.

DBS then have to apply to get the discount.

price
01-11-12, 13:47
From the rewards redemption standpoint, am sure many of you have studies and compared.

POSB Debit - 0.3% cashback per quarter with minimum S$500 spent in period

DBS Credit - NTUC FairPrice S$10 Voucher with 900 DBS Points (S$4500 spent), translates to 0.22% back

OCBC credit card has S$20 NTUC voucher for OCBC$5100 spent (S$1 to ocbc$1), translates to 0.39% back

For me, as i hate to keep track of CC spend, i think will just stick to POSB Go as main card... How about some of you? Share share your findings leh...

And have any of you come across any establishments in SG that dont accept Debit card? Only came across some online eshops or PayPal like merchants with such issue.

Small purchase, use CIMB World card. All purchases 1% rebate.

Big purchase, use Manhattan from SCB. 5% rebate.

1 side note, never ever leave your regular savings in POSB/UOB/OCBC.

CIMB interest rate is 16 times higher. Every month i receive free $

buttercarp
01-11-12, 13:54
Best petrol deal = POSB Everyday with SPC cheaper than esso.

Yup, I heard 17.55% savings, right?

Sounds good.
If only there were more SPC stations around.

The Diners club Sheng siong card is good if you shop at Sheng Siong often as it gives a 5% cash rebate on your next purchase.

price
01-11-12, 13:56
Yup, I heard 17.55% savings, right?

Sounds good.
If only there were more SPC stations around.

The Diners club Sheng siong card is good if you shop at Sheng Siong often as it gives a 5% cash rebate on your next purchase.
thought there're more SPC stations around than Esso?:beats-me-man:

spyro
01-11-12, 14:27
Go JB. Cheapest.:cheers6:

price
01-11-12, 14:28
Go JB. Cheapest.:cheers6:
did u buy Parc Rosewood?

zeamybro
01-11-12, 14:31
Eh correct me if i am wrong, for Citibank, as long as you are holding on to the Citibank Dividend card, you dont need to apply the Esso Mobil Privilege Card. The latter merely help to combine your Citibank Dividend card with your Smile Card, right?

18.3% Savings with Citibank Dividend Card + ESSO

http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credit_cards/citi_esso_promotions.htm

CondoWE
01-11-12, 15:18
Eh correct me if i am wrong, for Citibank, as long as you are holding on to the Citibank Dividend card, you dont need to apply the Esso Mobil Privilege Card. The latter merely help to combine your Citibank Dividend card with your Smile Card, right?

You need to apply the Esso Mobil Privilege Card. Simply tag the Esso Mobil Privilege Card to your Citibank DIVIDEND Card to earn 5% cash back on top of prevailing petrol discounts at Esso.

buttercarp
01-11-12, 15:22

That's what i thought so too.
But after reading the link you posted, seems like need to apply then tag it to the card to enjoy the 18.3 %.

CondoWE
01-11-12, 15:42
But after reading the link you posted, seems like need to apply then tag it to the card to enjoy the 18.3 %.

According to the Citibank CSO, we still need to activate the link of the Esso card to Citibank card by calling Citibank CSO once your recieved the card la...;) ! While fueling, just pass the 2 cards to the cashier to enjoy the discount and points.

carbuncle
01-11-12, 15:50

Woo... Didnt know misspelling is so sexy lol... Get free F

zzz1
01-11-12, 15:59
Which 'F' you are referring to ? Lol

taggy
01-11-12, 16:18
hi butter, how about this DBS Esso Platinum Card huh ?
http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/cards/credit-card/mastercard-esso-platinum/promotions.page?
it says: Enjoy 17%¹ discount instantly with your DBS Esso Platinum Card when you pump at any Esso service station.

still Citibank world dividend is cheaper ah ? i have both cards, but always use this dbs card for Esso, because the cashier always tell me this give better discount... :confused:

mkl22
01-11-12, 16:22
one thing to note about the citibank card. You need to have a transaction value of at least $50 in order to get the higher rebate amount. otherwise it will be 0.5%

buttercarp
01-11-12, 16:50
Woo... Didnt know misspelling is so sexy lol... Get free F

Which 'F' you are referring to ? Lol

Get F9, see whether you still on cloud nine or not!

chiaberry
01-11-12, 17:13
http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/cards/credit-card/mastercard-esso-platinum/promotions.page?

I use the dbs esso mastercard. Too :confused: :confused: :confused: to have to carry around another separate card (purse is already stuffed with cards).

The citibank dividend $ redemption is complicated. Goes by cycles of (?) 3 months and you have to chalk up minimum of $50 dividends to get the dividend cheque. I remember somebody explaining it to me before but I thought it is too complicated for my small brain. From time to time there are the $3 off $50 vouchers from Esso and you end up paying less than $50 to maximise the discount so you won't get the best discount from citibank in that case.

I prefer to have my discount up front rather than wait months for that dividend cheque.

price
01-11-12, 17:34
I use the dbs esso mastercard. Too :confused: :confused: :confused: to have to carry around another separate card (purse is already stuffed with cards).

The citibank dividend $ redemption is complicated. Goes by cycles of (?) 3 months and you have to chalk up minimum of $50 dividends to get the dividend cheque. I remember somebody explaining it to me before but I thought it is too complicated for my small brain. From time to time there are the $3 off $50 vouchers from Esso and you end up paying less than $50 to maximise the discount so you won't get the best discount from citibank in that case.

I prefer to have my discount up front rather than wait months for that dividend cheque.

Thats why so troublesome why dont stick with POSB everyday straightforward u get rebates immediately can use at watsons too. l:cheers6:

Cheapest fuel in SG! SPC + Everydaycard

zeamybro
01-11-12, 17:54
it says: Enjoy 17%¹ discount instantly with your DBS Esso Platinum Card when you pump at any Esso service station.

still Citibank world dividend is cheaper ah ? i have both cards, but always use this dbs card for Esso, because the cashier always tell me this give better discount... :confused:

If you want the max upfront discount, use the DBS one.

If you dont mind waiting for the cash rebate, use Citibank Dividend as it gives the best discount of 18.3%. (14% upfront + 5% cash rebate of the nett amount).

Anyway, Citibank no longer issue cheques. Once you have accumulated $50, it will be offset in your next billing.

buttercarp
01-11-12, 19:15
Anyway, Citibank no longer issue cheques. Once you have accumulated $50, it will be offset in your next billing.

They give you a choice.
I chose the cheque option, so I still get cheques once every 3 months.
I use this card predominantly so no problem reaching the minimum sum.

Allthepies
01-11-12, 19:31
For shoppers doing shopping, use Citibank Reward card >4%

zeamybro
01-11-12, 19:45
They give you a choice.
I chose the cheque option, so I still get cheques once every 3 months.
I use this card predominantly so no problem reaching the minimum sum.

Oh really? They din ask me, when and how did they ask ah?

Anyway what's the min sum? Is it $50 accumulated within 15mths?

chiaberry
01-11-12, 19:46
So what's the verdict for best usage of citibank card:

Dividend card for petrol
Rewards card for shopping?

buttercarp
01-11-12, 20:46
Oh really? They din ask me, when and how did they ask ah?

Anyway what's the min sum? Is it $50 accumulated within 15mths?

You call them and tell them if you want cheque.
The minimum sum i am not sure but they will explain to you over the phone.

I think the cash back amount must be at least $50 before they issue you a cheque. If you do not accumulate $50 cash back within 3 months, it will be accumulated till $50 , then they will give it to you. I don't know if there is an expiry.

zeamybro
01-11-12, 23:03
You call them and tell them if you want cheque.
The minimum sum i am not sure but they will explain to you over the phone.

I think the cash back amount must be at least $50 before they issue you a cheque. If you do not accumulate $50 cash back within 3 months, it will be accumulated till $50 , then they will give it to you. I don't know if there is an expiry.

Thanks buttercarp sis for your explanation. I just called citi to request for my rebates in cheque but was told citi no longer issue cheque. So I guess you shld be affected too.

Anyway back to the petrol discount, I realize its better to use Citibank Dividend + Esso Smile card (18.3%). 18.3% savings on petrol is calculated based on a 5% site discount, 5% Smiles Card discount, 4% Citi card discount and 5% cash back

Using Citibank esso privilege card with the dividend card tag to it only allow you to enjoy 17.4%. 17.4% savings on petrol is calculated based on 5% site discount, 5% Citibank credit card discount, up to 2.9% Smiles equivalent fuels savings and 5% cash back

price
01-11-12, 23:24
i learnt something from reading this thread.

Most people are lazy to change banks / credit cards they prefer to use.

buttercarp
01-11-12, 23:42
i learnt something from reading this thread.

Most people are lazy to change banks / credit cards they prefer to use.

It is better to use one credit card as you can accumulate points.
So chose the card that offers you the savings that is applicable to you.
Eg if you shop a lot, then Citi rewards card is good.
If you pump alot of petrol then the Citi dividend card is good, etc.

buttercarp
01-11-12, 23:44
Thanks buttercarp sis for your explanation. I just called citi to request for my rebates in cheque but was told citi no longer issue cheque. So I guess you shld be affected too.

Anyway back to the petrol discount, I realize its better to use Citibank Dividend + Esso Smile card (18.3%). 18.3% savings on petrol is calculated based on a 5% site discount, 5% Smiles Card discount, 4% Citi card discount and 5% cash back

Using Citibank esso privilege card with the dividend card tag to it only allow you to enjoy 17.4%. 17.4% savings on petrol is calculated based on 5% site discount, 5% Citibank credit card discount, up to 2.9% Smiles equivalent fuels savings and 5% cash back

Hi zeamybro, thanks for the explanation, so I do not need to do anything as I have been doing the above for the citibank dividend card.

Strange, I still receive the cheque for the cash back. The last was 2 months ago.
Maybe after that, they won't send to me anymore........

zeamybro
01-11-12, 23:48
Hi zeamybro, thanks for the explanation, so I do not need to do anything as I have been doing the above for the citibank dividend card.

Strange, I still receive the cheque for the cash back. The last was 2 months ago.
Maybe after that, they won't send to me anymore........

Sis, the cheque ceases w.e.f aug 2012

My fave cards are still citi dividend and posb everyday

buttercarp
01-11-12, 23:54
Sis, the cheque ceases w.e.f aug 2012

My fave cards are still citi dividend and posb everyday

Thanks, no wonder I last got it 2 months ago.
It is a hassle to carry too many cards.
I think I am going to terminate some of them.

bakasa2002
02-11-12, 00:26
Thats why so troublesome why dont stick with POSB everyday straightforward u get rebates immediately can use at watsons too. l:cheers6:

Cheapest fuel in SG! SPC + Everydaycard

For SPC + Everydaycard need apply for SPC card and is based on hitting tier for max discount?

Laguna
02-11-12, 00:43
读到头昏脑涨
no bank give me credit card now as i have no income