PDA

View Full Version : How much net profit before u decide to sell away your condo unit?

einnoc
31-10-12, 16:45
Just wondering how much net profit will attract you enuff to sell away your condo unit upon TOP? 100K? 200K? 300K?

CondoWE
31-10-12, 17:19
Just wondering how much net profit will attract you enuff to sell away your condo unit upon TOP? 100K? 200K? 300K?

For me...at least 30% else I will collect rental yield and wait for better captial appreciation later...:D !

nav14
31-10-12, 17:52
Never sell unless forced to due to changing financial circumstances or property getting old and need to renew but will buy another one immediately. Always remain invested in properties whether market it is in uptrend or downtrend or whether losing 50% or gained 200%. Never try to time the market.

price
31-10-12, 18:22
Never sell unless forced to due to changing financial circumstances or property getting old and need to renew but will buy another one immediately. Always remain invested in properties whether market it is in uptrend or downtrend or whether losing 50% or gained 200%. Never try to time the market.
speaking from an investor or own stay point of view?

Arcachon
31-10-12, 19:47

1000k above

Allthepies
31-10-12, 20:25
exxpect at least 100% net profit of the money utilised!

radha08
31-10-12, 20:35
honestly honestly ask yourself..still can make $$$..if u go in NOW...:scared-3:

DKSG
01-11-12, 00:29

I think for some developments, CAN!

I have been pointing out places for my friends/colleagues to buy in the past 6 months ... all now happy happy smiling to the banks liao !

DKSG

ekl2ekl2
01-11-12, 00:39

I have been pointing out places for my friends/colleagues to buy in the past 6 months ... all now happy happy smiling to the banks liao !

DKSG

Sure still can make $$$ in past 6 months? Which PCs?
Any paper gains are likely to be limited even if no need to pay ABSD.

phantom_opera
01-11-12, 08:31
Profit because of inflation is not real profit

kane
01-11-12, 08:47
If the property value is up by more than 5%, that means you have some real profit. Otherwise it's nominal profit. And sticking it in the bank, the real loss is 5%.

phantom_opera
01-11-12, 08:50
Actual inflation could be higher than 5%, one obvious example is hdb rental and car

kane
01-11-12, 09:06
Have to count the aggregate. If just count those 2 things, i think 90% of the people merely experienced nominal gains.

phantom_opera
01-11-12, 09:17
Have to count the aggregate. If just count those 2 things, i think 90% of the people merely experienced nominal gains.

agree but ppl tend to consume different things with different inflation rate so hard to come out with good aggregate # ... all we know is CPI only counting basic stuff

so we can only conclude that actual inflation is higher than reported, if reported 4.7% ... it is most likely 5-7% ... fair enough??

let's take 6% pa, it only takes 12y for $2 of purchasing power to become $1

and it is probably reasonable to say 500k profit today is equivalent in purchasing power to 200k in 1990's

carbuncle
01-11-12, 09:19

DKSG

Thats why any underground gatherings better to invite office boy to 'uncover his jewels'...

PN
01-11-12, 09:34
Thats why any underground gatherings better to invite office boy to 'uncover his jewels'...
To make friend with him must go to his office and be the office cleaner or tea lady.

Everyday can tcss with him on where to dig for jewels.

sh
01-11-12, 09:48
expect at least 100% net profit of the money utilised!

I would have regretted if i sold at 100% profit. it just continued to go up....

like someone said, property is meant to be bought, not sold....

Though I'm contemplating changing from my LH to FH.....

cnud
01-11-12, 10:53
For investment properties, will sell when nett profit > 10 years of nett rental profit.

Eg. if rental profit is $2000, 120 X $2000 = $240,000 profit.

sherlock
01-11-12, 11:17
For investment properties, will sell when nett profit > 10 years of nett rental profit.

Eg. if rental profit is $2000, 120 X $2000 = $240,000 profit.

I like this yardstick. I am contemplating doing the same as well but it will leave me un-hedged in properties. Dilemma :banghead:

cnud
01-11-12, 11:29
I like this yardstick. I am contemplating doing the same as well but it will leave me un-hedged in properties. Dilemma :banghead:

Actually for rental play, might as well go for dividends. More liquid and no CM. Yield anytime can beat rental. More than 6%. If price run up will be even more sweet.

Some more no need to worry about tenant.

sherlock
01-11-12, 13:50
Actually for rental play, might as well go for dividends. More liquid and no CM. Yield anytime can beat rental. More than 6%. If price run up will be even more sweet.

I'm rather conservative. At least property is a physical stock. Can't be zero worth. Maybe i'm wrong. :tsk-tsk:

Anyway i'm vested in stocks but small-time only :cheers5:

einnoc
01-11-12, 13:54

Hmm.... but even if i put in the bank as FD which gives 0.9% interest, i will suffer loses as the inflation is more than 3% mar.... Therefore, i was wondering does it makes more sense to buy a property and even if i only made 100K in 4 yrs.... it is still better than putting in the bank?

My intention was to buy for homestay and rent out my hdb flat. However, if there is real net profit at TOP, shld i just take the net profit? But if sell high, means i gonna buy the next property at high price too? So i have to wait for mkt to dip?

price
01-11-12, 14:32

can bond gives u cap gain + rental yield?

cnud
01-11-12, 15:29

Ah.. I said rental yield.

Cap gain I agree property still number one. But due to its illiquid nature, CM, etc, the only one can play cap gain is own stay unit... I'm talking about entering the market now... with the ABSD, SSD..

phantom_opera
01-11-12, 17:26

of course .. bond is called bond yield :p

checkout PIMCO

howgozit
01-11-12, 17:32
Har?.... gain 200% don't sell ah?

nav14
01-11-12, 17:54
Har?.... gain 200% don't sell ah?

As long as PAP is in power and the horizon looks relatively stable, I will always remain invested in property , as many as possible, regardless if they go up 200% or 2000%.

price
01-11-12, 18:03
Ah.. I said rental yield.

Cap gain I agree property still number one. But due to its illiquid nature, CM, etc, the only one can play cap gain is own stay unit... I'm talking about entering the market now... with the ABSD, SSD..
yea wat im saying is with bonds u get only rental yield. u dun get both.

howgozit
01-11-12, 18:05
Wow!... up 2000% also won't sell....

As long as PAP is in power and the horizon looks relatively stable, I will always remain invested in property , as many as possible, regardless if they go up 200% or 2000%.

cnud
01-11-12, 18:30
yea wat im saying is with bonds u get only rental yield. u dun get both.

Agreed.

If want yield, go for dividend plays from stocks or bonds.

If want capital gain, go for own stay unit to sell after 4-5 years. I am talking about those who are thinking of getting into the property game now. It's less worth it with so many restrictions and stuff.

price
01-11-12, 18:33
Agreed.

If want yield, go for dividend plays from stocks or bonds.

If want capital gain, go for own stay unit to sell after 4-5 years. I am talking about those who are thinking of getting into the property game now. It's less worth it with so many restrictions and stuff.

Agreed with "less worth it". But a good businessman is always open for business. Big profits or small profits are still profits. New projects, by the time completed maybe cleared 3 out of the 4 years SSD.

Not all who made it rich from proprieties bought at the ultra low prices.

cnud
01-11-12, 19:15
Agreed with "less worth it". But a good businessman is always open for business. Big profits or small profits are still profits. New projects, by the time completed maybe cleared 3 out of the 4 years SSD.

Not all who made it rich from proprieties bought at the ultra low prices.

Don't you think it's better to trade up the one you're staying in instead of being busy with tenants, pay agent fees, pay property tax, etc. so what if the yield is 5%.. Still not worth it i supposed to holding REIT that could yield 8-9% without sweat.

I was a landlord for many years.. Rental yield is just not fast enough..

Allthepies
01-11-12, 19:24

DKSG

Can share share ? :D :D :D

Komo
01-11-12, 23:12
profit must at least be enough to cover the next downpayment:D

price
01-11-12, 23:21
Don't you think it's better to trade up the one you're staying in instead of being busy with tenants, pay agent fees, pay property tax, etc. so what if the yield is 5%.. Still not worth it i supposed to holding REIT that could yield 8-9% without sweat.

I was a landlord for many years.. Rental yield is just not fast enough..
agreed but i think that's not what im talking about :)

cheers though

KopKing
02-11-12, 06:55
cost plus 5 % per annum...

dont forget, the rule of investing is also not always counting the profits and protecting the loss.

You never know in a few years time ,with oversupply of residential homes, investing would not be a straightforward thingy.

You can see this in the papers and government talk everyday. Everything is not as rosy as you think.

The fiscal cliff is a challenge throughout 2013 and why do you think Bernanke rolled out the QE3?

just my two cents worth