PDA

View Full Version : What to do with tenants who don't pay rent on time?

auroraborealis
24-10-12, 12:32
Damn sian... Every other month must remind & threaten... Some very good ones just do giro n pay 3 days in advance

How to spot responsible ones vs irresponsible one???

chiaberry
24-10-12, 12:50
Not possible to tell beforehand. You can insist on their setting up a GIRO but they will still have excuses for why the GIRO deduction bounced etc. I threatened to deduct the overdraft and interest charges from their deposit. That usually works for me. I even charged one of the tenants $50 for late payment once before. The young single Ang Mohs tend to be the offenders. They seem not to be able to handle their cash flow (?too much $$$ on beer and women). :doh:

4wheels
24-10-12, 12:56
lesson learnt! No Giro, don't rent to the tenant!

silver023
24-10-12, 13:42
Best is to put tough language in the tenancy agreement coz once the lease begins, it will be difficult to do anything but harrass them for payment. Of course, best is to maintain an amicable relationship

dtrax
24-10-12, 13:53
Well would it make sense to include late payment clause in rental contract?

Emma
24-10-12, 14:08
Ya just include it in and enforce it one time if payment lapses and they will pay on time in the future.

eng81157
24-10-12, 14:15
Ya just include it in and enforce it one time if payment lapses and they will pay on time in the future.

lock them out of the house?! :beats-me-man:

Emma
24-10-12, 14:17
what do you threaten them with? eviction? penalty?
what kind of profile are they?

Damn sian... Every other month must remind & threaten... Some very good ones just do giro n pay 3 days in advance

Emma
24-10-12, 14:19
i mean enforce the late payment clause one time.
not so serious that you have to lock them out of the house. anyway the deposit is still in our hands.

lock them out of the house?! :beats-me-man:

Lovelle
24-10-12, 14:22
not so serious that you have to lock them out of the house. anyway the deposit is still in our hands.

clause says after 14 days then can enforce this law.

eng81157
24-10-12, 14:28

how about this? post mug shots of them at the lift lobbies!! :D :D

bigbertha
24-10-12, 14:39
Too bad we can't do this ... "O$P$", will run into trouble with the men in blues. :p:p

But thanks, i think including late payment as one of the clause is a brilliant idea, at least that's binding!

Emma
24-10-12, 15:10
post at notice board of condo...hahaha

how about this? post mug shots of them at the lift lobbies!! :D :D

auroraborealis
24-10-12, 15:29

clause says after 14 days then can enforce this law.

auroraborealis
24-10-12, 15:30
Tough to enforce this... If no giro dun rent... Have to keep empty unit for longer time

lesson learnt! No Giro, don't rent to the tenant!

auroraborealis
24-10-12, 15:32
Agree... Will definitely do that in future

auroraborealis
24-10-12, 15:36
From experience, eviction can only use 1-2 times... After that they won't b afraid

Sigh, young couple... Wife ok but husband "cao-kuan" type, got $$ but just like to play games... Always say cannot transfer in time, atm limit etc etc must wait for next day... Then when we turn harsh, like threaten to terminate becos they breach contract term, then he sudden got full amt to deposit in for us

what do you threaten them with? eviction? penalty?
what kind of profile are they?

august
24-10-12, 15:38
which nationality?

chiaberry
24-10-12, 15:40
From experience, eviction can only use 1-2 times... After that they won't b afraid

Sigh, young couple... Wife ok but husband "cao-kuan" type, got $$ but just like to play games... Always say cannot transfer in time, atm limit etc etc must wait for next day... Then when we turn harsh, like threaten to terminate becos they breach contract term, then he sudden got full amt to deposit in for us

Sounds like one of my previous tenants (ang moh guy, not married at the time but had gf). Every month I had to get my agent to chase him. Luckily for me, he left for a bigger unit (coz the gf wanted it) and I got a better tenant at higher rent....heng ah! :cheers5:

zzz1
24-10-12, 16:47

head aches...
make proper records on the non payment, to back up your claims later, ask them to evacuate...nn point to carry this baggages.

zzz1
24-10-12, 16:47

head aches...
make proper records on the non payment, to back up your claims later, ask them to evacuate...nn point to carry this baggages.

zeamybro
24-10-12, 16:51
I also insisted in giro payment and stated it in my TA ....

My friend has a bad experience with one of his tenants, whom he would meet up every month at Mac just to collect his rentals, passed to him in stacks of $50 dollar notes.

dtrax
24-10-12, 16:59
Agree... Will definitely do that in future

Always have this clause:

In the event the rent remaining unpaid seven (7) days after becoming payable (whether formally
demanded or not), it shall be lawful for the Landlord to claim interest at ten percent (10%) per annum
on the amount unpaid calculated from after the date due to the date of actual payment.

If you need a template for tenancy agreement, drop me a PM

zzz1
24-10-12, 17:03
I also insisted in giro payment and stated it in my TA ....

My friend has a bad experience with one of his tenants, whom he would meet up every month at Mac just to collect his rentals, passed to him in stacks of $50 dollar notes.
luckly is in 50 note...lf luckly ended up with 2 dollars notes :D

carbuncle
24-10-12, 17:26
always make sure include late payment terms and interest clause

provide your bank account number, tenant can choose whichever method to put in the money

make sure you dont furnish with goods of value that exceed the deposit

question, how on earth would you get mug shots of tenants? from ic?

and how to chase them out? if they simply refuse to move their ass. change lock also no use, if someone at home all the time.

auroraborealis
24-10-12, 17:59
The simply refused to move type I got experience le...

1st find mover & temp storage quotation to ensure that security deposit value not exceeded
2nd give official notice of moving out & intention to lodge police report of trespassing & deduction of mover + temp storage from security deposit (when tenancy expire)
If like this they still stay put (usual they will move out on their own), turn up with police to get them out of the property 1st...
Change lock and/or pin + cancel access cards
Arrange for mover to move their belongings to temp storage & inform tenant they need to claim within X-days, else you'll apply writ of distress (thru lawyer) to sell their belongings to cover storage cost & legal fees

But like that very ugly... If possible try to avoid

always make sure include late payment terms and interest clause

provide your bank account number, tenant can choose whichever method to put in the money

make sure you dont furnish with goods of value that exceed the deposit

question, how on earth would you get mug shots of tenants? from ic?

and how to chase them out? if they simply refuse to move their ass. change lock also no use, if someone at home all the time.

radha08
24-10-12, 18:43
:doh:

Thank god in my 4 years of rental collection all my tenant pay swee swee and i also was renting i pay my landlord swee swee....but i was thinking also if one day i kena those type never pay on time sianz.....maybe try talk to them....u ask ah long help also no use if throw red paint on door kns...ITS UR DOOR:doh:

CondoInterested
24-10-12, 19:44
Check if your contract with them have this pay no later than seven days, else you can kick them out immediately. Cannot recall if still can forfeit their deposit.

You can change the doors locks.

may2012
24-10-12, 20:46
u may call the police for trespassing. but the police will not get ur tenants out, they will not interfer cos its civil case.

seen it b4.

Laguna
24-10-12, 21:18
I hv yet to experience here.

In HK, it is much easier to manage, just tell the tenant that lawyer letter will be served and then follow by bankrupty...

ekl2ekl2
24-10-12, 21:27
If stuck with a very difficult tenant on long term contract, one last resort in a good market is to sell the unit with the tenancy.

Lovelle
24-10-12, 21:55

In HK, it is much easier to manage, just tell the tenant that lawyer letter will be served and then follow by bankrupty...

law here is loose...nobody can help u if tenant dun pay and dun move out.

remember the case where the ah beng didn pay for 2 yrs and owner who is an old lady had to hire somebody to lock up the whole house or tear down the window or something like that.

radha08
24-10-12, 22:49

or send in someone with ponytail and body full of tattoos carrying a samurai sword...to collect unpaid rent for you...:D:D:D

radha08
24-10-12, 22:50
If stuck with a very difficult tenant on long term contract, one last resort in a good market is to sell the unit with the tenancy.

he he person who buy from u will curse an swear...if he continue tenancy:D

PN
24-10-12, 22:54
The tenant name start with a letter "B" & always cursing? :D

radha08
25-10-12, 00:13
The tenant name start with a letter "B" & always cursing? :D

the first two words is it MR...:D:D:D

yaozong7
25-10-12, 07:39
Insist on maintaining control of utilities. Threaten to cut utilities if rents in arrear. Always effective for me...........haha

leesg123
25-10-12, 08:04
Is there such a thing as registry of bad tenants, with their names and passport and the incidents? So landlord can look up before signing.

buttercarp
25-10-12, 08:05
Insist on maintaining control of utilities. Threaten to cut utilities if rents in arrear. Always effective for me...........haha

I thought the tenants will arrange and pay for the utilities themselves?

chestnut
25-10-12, 08:48
I had such a tenant. Called my agent and told him to tell tenant will charge interest on future late payment and everything was smooth. Please call your agent.

nav14
25-10-12, 10:12

They can apply for their own utilities account without landlords approval as long as have tenancy agreement.

taggy
25-10-12, 10:18
The simply refused to move type I got experience le...

1st find mover & temp storage quotation to ensure that security deposit value not exceeded
2nd give official notice of moving out & intention to lodge police report of trespassing & deduction of mover + temp storage from security deposit (when tenancy expire)
If like this they still stay put (usual they will move out on their own), turn up with police to get them out of the property 1st...
Change lock and/or pin + cancel access cards
Arrange for mover to move their belongings to temp storage & inform tenant they need to claim within X-days, else you'll apply writ of distress (thru lawyer) to sell their belongings to cover storage cost & legal fees

But like that very ugly... If possible try to avoid
i like this post, saved for future reference :D