PDA

View Full Version : mortgage loan insurance

p3nboy
09-10-12, 13:54
what is the best deal in town? any advice?

Sleepyhead
09-10-12, 14:08
from my own research, i think prudential.

blackjack21trader
09-10-12, 14:10

thanks, actually i wanted to know also :)

buttercarp
09-10-12, 14:25

You are right.
Mine is from Prudential.

lifeline
09-10-12, 15:04
actually is this really necessary or useful? cos the amount spent can part finance another property? this is what my guru advisors tell me wan.

buttercarp
09-10-12, 15:07
actually is this really necessary or useful? cos the amount spent can part finance another property? this is what my guru advisors tell me wan.

But need to protect the kids, especially if it is the only home you have.
So insure until they are financially independent.
No need to insure until end of loan.

blackjack21trader
09-10-12, 15:09

Life is like a box of chocolate, u never know wats u gona get.:)

lifeline
09-10-12, 15:10
also recently heard someone sharing about legacy planning...
something like buying mortgage insurance, except that much bigger quantum.

on the first level, eg to protect 1 mil, rather than buy 1 mil protection, use 250k to buy 1 mil protection, then free up 750k to invest.

on the next level, can even loan from the bank that 250k and pay interest! to the tune of 1.2% (1% fixed and 0.2% floating) and the bank invests in bonds (eg us) that returns 4.2% average. this type of leveraging on your own life (treating your life like another property) can get loan wan. apparently breakeven on year 7 to 8 depending on the market.

any comments on these?

buttercarp
09-10-12, 15:13

Ya, like when you open it up and discover there are sweet nothings.

lifeline
09-10-12, 15:24

as usual, you are absolutely correct ! :D

it is not about what to buy... but whether we can shoulder the risks.

to me, mortgage insurance is about short/medium term cover, in case some thing happens in the interim. if have properties etc all paid up, then no need for this already, like my gurus.

so bro blackjack, did you buy any mortgage insurance? or legacy planning insurance?

kawaiing
09-10-12, 15:29
what is the best deal in town? any advice?

Prudential. Best among all after u compare all. But need to go body check up, if above 1 million need HIV test too. Its good i treat it as free body check up

Naruto
09-10-12, 16:36
Prudential. Best among all after u compare all. But need to go body check up, if above 1 million need HIV test too. Its good i treat it as free body check up

Do they give a copy of the checkup report to us, regardless?

buttercarp
09-10-12, 16:40
Do they give a copy of the checkup report to us, regardless?

By default, no.
But yes if you request it from your agent.

sky61
09-10-12, 18:15
so for singles, is it necessary to purchase mortgage loan insurance?

buttercarp
09-10-12, 18:23

If your parents or younger siblings are totally dependent on you financially and they are staying with you, and they have no other home, then it is wise to do so.

minority
09-10-12, 18:29
But need to protect the kids, especially if it is the only home you have.
So insure until they are financially independent.
No need to insure until end of loan.

No need but full prop amount. For stay unit u can buy full basic term . Coz roof over heads of luv 1s mah... Can be depreciating . Depending on age 1m ard 2k per yr actually is cheap.

For investment prop just buy 20% of prop price ensure can pay installment for 2-3 yrs or new prop coz absd 4yrs. Coz investment mah after that can sell n luv ones can capayilized from it or break even etc. 20% is assume worst case price don't drop 20% at end of 4yrs ;) 200-300k term depending on age can be 1k a yr..

Insurance is a risk mgmt tool not make $$$

phantom_opera
09-10-12, 18:31
if you have separate protection for death, TPD and critical illness (e.g. cover 10y of income) .. mortgage insurance is not really necessary ... unless u really overleverage to the max like yowetan loh

minority
09-10-12, 18:32

If no 1 depend on u then no need. But u can't tell future if u not be single . N maybe then u could be not insurable

minority
09-10-12, 18:34
if you have separate protection for death, TPD and critical illness (e.g. cover 10y of income) .. mortgage insurance is not really necessary ... unless u really overleverage to the max like yowetan loh

But if its own home only roof. Might be a good idea. Investment I agree can don't need if u have some coverage.

dunatos
09-10-12, 22:37
I actually feel having a will is more important...

Shanhz
10-11-12, 04:47
Recent research... Hsbc cheaper

focus
10-11-12, 13:19
also recently heard someone sharing about legacy planning...
something like buying mortgage insurance, except that much bigger quantum.

on the first level, eg to protect 1 mil, rather than buy 1 mil protection, use 250k to buy 1 mil protection, then free up 750k to invest.

on the next level, can even loan from the bank that 250k and pay interest! to the tune of 1.2% (1% fixed and 0.2% floating) and the bank invests in bonds (eg us) that returns 4.2% average. this type of leveraging on your own life (treating your life like another property) can get loan wan. apparently breakeven on year 7 to 8 depending on the market.

any comments on these?

Interesting concept. Where to hear the talk??

buttercarp
10-11-12, 18:53

The last time when I wanted to get mortgage loan, the banker told me about it.
I got a second opinion from my insurance agent as well.
In the end I did not sign up for it.

Can read about it here :
http://www.asiaone.com/Business/My%2BMoney/Building%2BYour%2BNest%2BEgg/Insurance/Story/A1Story20110718-289735.html

Shanhz
10-11-12, 19:00
The last time when I wanted to get mortgage loan, the banker told me about it.
I got a second opinion from my insurance agent as well.
In the end I did not sign up for it.

Can read about it here :
http://www.asiaone.com/Business/My%2BMoney/Building%2BYour%2BNest%2BEgg/Insurance/Story/A1Story20110718-289735.html

The link you posted is on universal life plan, which is more complex than a straightforward mortgage ins plan

focus
10-11-12, 19:33
buttercarp ,Thanks for the link :)
It seems better to guarantee yourself with a house..
I must have faith the insurance company will be around in 20-30yrs time.. so scary.

lifeline
10-11-12, 23:37

buttercup has found the excellent link which details just about everything.

you can speak to your premier investment banker or even the mortgage broker. depending on your risk profiling and needs, they may recommend this.

another fact: for the quantum paid for this legacy planning, there is no need for medical health checks, ie, it is independent of your health condition cos you have already paid a high premium to make it worth their while. good for those with preexisting medical and with money to spare, and want to leave a legacy.

as you have mentioned, choice of bank is important - though i am not too sure how much the bank guarantees this, cos this insurance is underwritten by another reinsurance company that is usually an independent subsidiary of the bank.

also, you are buying into bonds denominated in us dollars for better yield. taking loan on this single premium allows further leverage, but is also a double-edged sword.

lifeline
10-11-12, 23:43
buttercarp ,Thanks for the link :)
It seems better to guarantee yourself with a house..
I must have faith the insurance company will be around in 20-30yrs time.. so scary.

does not seem to make much sense for a young person like you to buy this, unless you got too much spare cash.

more for those older ones. the sharer said some bank insurers even take on terminally ill cases.

therefore, the word bancassurance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bancassurance

chestnut
11-11-12, 05:54
Bro, I attended the talk on universal life. Ask the question on guarantee in event of bankrupt. Answer was $50k. I think they were TL with me for asking. Hahahaha. S if you really want to take, better spread out....

U also need to check the currency.

GE has something like this in local currency.

buttercup has found the excellent link which details just about everything.

you can speak to your premier investment banker or even the mortgage broker. depending on your risk profiling and needs, they may recommend this.

another fact: for the quantum paid for this legacy planning, there is no need for medical health checks, ie, it is independent of your health condition cos you have already paid a high premium to make it worth their while. good for those with preexisting medical and with money to spare, and want to leave a legacy.

as you have mentioned, choice of bank is important - though i am not too sure how much the bank guarantees this, cos this insurance is underwritten by another reinsurance company that is usually an independent subsidiary of the bank.

also, you are buying into bonds denominated in us dollars for better yield. taking loan on this single premium allows further leverage, but is also a double-edged sword.

DC33_2008
11-11-12, 09:42
Good advice. I have asked similar questions to the agents who sells simiar product from Great Eastern, and Prudential.
Bro, I attended the talk on universal life. Ask the question on guarantee in event of bankrupt. Answer was $50k. I think they were TL with me for asking. Hahahaha. S if you really want to take, better spread out....

U also need to check the currency.

GE has something like this in local currency.

amk
11-11-12, 10:22
The very design of universal life has "TAX AVOIDANCE" written all over the place :rolleyes:

The gist of it is you pay for a super expensive investment linked policy. The return from either th investment account, or the surrender/death claim account, is TAX FREE.

This is all in Western (e.g. US) high tax context, where capital gain are taxed, inheritance is taxed, and the rate is very high.

In SG context, this is completely, totally not applicable.

lifeline
11-11-12, 10:35
personally i am not into this. risks at too many levels. unless too much money and want to gamble :D

Pikachu1245
13-11-12, 00:09
My sis recently bought the legacy insurance . She paid about $350000 and insure about $1 million. She forgo the loan (1.2%) though. She says the banker told her a lot of rich people buying in multiples of her value.

Guess, to each his or her own. Every product/service has its own purpose/function that may suit someone but not others.:2cents:

lifeline
13-11-12, 02:02
Guess, to each his or her own. Every product/service has its own purpose/function that may suit someone but not others.:2cents:

agree, so long one knows his personal objective - pure legacy planning in this case.

nalimakk
28-11-12, 12:20
property gugru masy help you batter for query..!!
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/mortgage