PDA

View Full Version : Could I refinance with the same bank?

plliuxyh
09-10-12, 12:45
Greeting,
My 300K DBS home loan just reached three years of lock up time. The new rate is 2.13. Could I get a three years fixed rate deal with DBS? :confused:
Thanks
Plliuxyh

nav14
09-10-12, 12:56
Greeting,
My 300K DBS home loan just reached three years of lock up time. The new rate is 2.13. Could I get a three years fixed rate deal with DBS? :confused:
Thanks
Plliuxyh

For same bank it will be called repricing. Pay $500 fees. Sometimes they will allow you to reprice even before the lock in period is up.

plliuxyh
09-10-12, 12:58
Greeting,
Thanks a lot!
Plliuxyh

CondoWE
09-10-12, 13:29
For same bank it will be called repricing. Pay $500 fees. Sometimes they will allow you to reprice even before the lock in period is up.

You can try nego to waive off the 500 :D .

CondoWE
09-10-12, 13:33
Greeting,
Thanks
Plliuxyh

Yes. Same bank , Do the it(repricing) one month b4 the lockin period expired. If refinance from other bank, you need 3 months.

nav14
09-10-12, 13:34
You can try nego to waive off the 500 :D .

Yes can try but sometimes they refuse to waive.

CondoWE
09-10-12, 13:35
Greeting,
Thanks
Plliuxyh

Yes. Same bank , Do the it(repricing) one month b4 the lockin period expired. As mentioned by bro nav14, there is fee of 500 but some bank can be nego to waive off so try it. If refinance from other bank, you need 3 months.

cnud
09-10-12, 13:36
New CM affect re-pricing?

CondoWE
09-10-12, 13:37
Yes can try but sometimes they refuse to waive.

Switch bank if they reject lor..:rolleyes: . Anyway, DBS is not the best in town..:D .

buttercarp
09-10-12, 13:42
Yes. Same bank , Do the it(repricing) one month b4 the lockin period expired. If refinance from other bank, you need 3 months.

Another good piece of advice which I will print and keep it with my loan agreement. Thank condoWE!

nav14
09-10-12, 13:47
Yes. Same bank , Do the it(repricing) one month b4 the lockin period expired. As mentioned by bro nav14, there is fee of 500 but some bank can be nego to waive off so try it. If refinance from other bank, you need 3 months.

Recently repriced with DBS and effective date of repricing was a month before the lock in period ended. They said no problem. Next time will try my luck earlier if rates are lower.

nav14
09-10-12, 13:51
New CM affect re-pricing?

No. Only if refinanced. Re-pricing only locking in new rates.

lifeline
09-10-12, 14:30
Another good piece of advice which I will print and keep it with my loan agreement. Thank condoWE!

remember dates of lockin period and top date may be different.
if top date before lockin, may have free top conversion.
also take note project top is usually few weeks before you get notified to collect keys. banks usu agree for conversion after top cos most earmarked loan already disbursed - so max out the interest charged to us already.

einnoc
09-10-12, 14:36
may i know if reprice and refinance are two different things?

cnud
09-10-12, 14:55
may i know if reprice and refinance are two different things?

Re-price = same bank.

Re-finance = change bank.

newbie11
09-10-12, 15:31
you may find these helpful to compare repricing vs refinancing

http://www.findahomeloan.sg/component/k2/item/278-information-on-banks-and-subsidies-legal-valuation-etc

http://www.findahomeloan.sg/component/k2/item/237-breaking-news-no-more-legal-subsidy-and-freebies

einnoc
09-10-12, 15:38
Thank you all

flxcat
09-10-12, 16:10
No. Only if refinanced. Re-pricing only locking in new rates.

Just to add
The new CM only affect the loan cannot be >35yrs from first loan disbursement and not the LTV.
So should not be a concern to most unless your loan tenure is very the long.

That is what I understood so far :)

einnoc
09-10-12, 16:24
reprice = must pay 500 admin fee first

how abt refinance with another bank? any idea?

nav14
09-10-12, 16:37
reprice = must pay 500 admin fee first

how abt refinance with another bank? any idea?

Refinancing is just like taking a new loan - have to pay legal fees of $2500 - $2700, which most banks are no longer are subsidising now.

vip
09-10-12, 16:49
For my properties, I've done "refinancing" and switched to another bank three times when:

1) the lock-in period involves "claw back", e.g. legal subsidy, cash rebate, etc.; or

2) negotiation on reasonable rates failed.

I also did "repricing" (mainly with DBS) for many times when:

1) the bank informs me about increase in interest rate (either due to market situation or the start of year 2, 3, ...)

2) I learn that the bank offers a new package with more attractive rates. (Ask them to match!)

The $500 repricing fee is always negotiable. I've paid $200 or $300 before. Anway, it's nothing compared with the monthly payment saved in a year.

More tips for repricing:

1) The revised rate is effective only after one month. So plan it and call 2 months in advance before the start of year 2, 3, etc.

2) It's most efficient to call the home mortgage repricing team over the phone. Remember the name of that staff you talk to and ask to speak to the same person every time.

3) They usually won't get back to you (at least for a long time). Call back a week or two to ask for the progress.

4) If you find signing the new contract and mailiing it back too troublesome, you can also "verbally" agree with it over the phone. Just repeat after the staff over the phone when he/she reads out each contract term.

Hope this help (you to save money) :)

buttercarp
09-10-12, 17:02
For my properties, I've done "refinancing" and switched to another bank three times when:

1) the lock-in period involves "claw back", e.g. legal subsidy, cash rebate, etc.; or

2) negotiation on reasonable rates failed.

I also did "repricing" (mainly with DBS) for many times when:

1) the bank informs me about increase in interest rate (either due to market situation or the start of year 2, 3, ...)

2) I learn that the bank offers a new package with more attractive rates. (Ask them to match!)

The $500 repricing fee is always negotiable. I've paid $200 or $300 before. Anway, it's nothing compared with the monthly payment saved in a year.

More tips for repricing:

1) The revised rate is effective only after one month. So plan it and call 2 months in advance before the start of year 2, 3, etc.

2) It's most efficient to call the home mortgage repricing team over the phone. Remember the name of that staff you talk to and ask to speak to the same person every time.

3) They usually won't get back to you (at least for a long time). Call back a week or two to ask for the progress.

4) If you find signing the new contract and mailiing it back too troublesome, you can also "verbally" agree with it over the phone. Just repeat after the staff over the phone when he/she reads out each contract term.

Hope this help (you to save money) :)

Like as though you say the marriage vow :p ?

vip
09-10-12, 17:44
Exactly hahaha ...

cnud
09-10-12, 17:46
Website going down again...

wildfaye29
14-10-12, 17:20
Hi gurus, can reprice reduce loan tenor?

may2012
15-10-12, 16:57
Just to add
The new CM only affect the loan cannot be >35yrs from first loan disbursement and not the LTV.
So should not be a concern to most unless your loan tenure is very the long.

That is what I understood so far :)

Not exactly, if ur loan stretch beyond 65yo even if tenor is only 30years, refinacing will affect the LTV percentage.

And since most bank uses 75yo to calculate ur tenor in the past, many will be affected if refinance.

newbie11
18-10-12, 17:32
more than 3 months is fine.. some banks allow up to 1 year in advance and lock in current rates.