PDA

View Full Version : Landed homes heat up property market

reporter2
02-10-12, 17:07
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/wednesday/premium/money/story/landed-homes-heat-property-market-20120926

Landed homes heat up property market

Buoyant Q3 for all segments except suburban leasehold apartments

Published on Sep 26, 2012

By Esther Teo Property Reporter

THE property market is building up steam again after a flat few months, with landed homes leading the charge.

Average resale prices of freehold landed homes in the prime districts rose 1.2 per cent this quarter, a touch up on the 1 per cent rise in the previous three months.

Suburban landed home prices gained 2.4 per cent, doubling the 1.2 per cent rise in the second quarter, with semi-detached and terrace home prices showing the way, according to an analysis by consultancy DTZ.

It found that other segments are also heating up. Prices of freehold apartments in prime districts 9, 10 and 11 and in suburban areas rose 1 per cent, about twice the increase they racked up in the second quarter.

Leasehold apartments in suburban areas were the only exception to the more buoyant market, with price gains slowing to 0.5 per cent in the third quarter from 0.6 per cent before.

Ms Chua Chor Hoon, DTZ head of Asia-Pacific research, said the stronger price increase in the freehold segment is due to the price gap closing between mid- and high-end units on the resale market and new units on the mass market.

"More buyers are finding that these resale units offer better value and generally have bigger floor areas than the new ones," she added.

Luxury home prices, which had been weakening over the past three quarters, also stabilised this quarter as local buyers streamed back into the market.

DTZ said the proportion of luxury home purchases by Singaporeans grew significantly - from 19 per cent for all of last year to 35 per cent so far this year. The rise indicates underlying demand from cash-rich locals waiting on the sidelines for more attractive pricing.

Ms Margaret Thean, DTZ's executive director of residential, noted that foreign and local buyers are slowly coming back.

"We expect to see more activity and interest in luxury housing in the next one to two quarters with a few projects gearing up for launch," she added.

Experts also weighed in on how the latest round of quantitative easing (QE3) in the United States could further fan the flames of higher prices.

More QE could give buyer sentiment a temporary shot in the arm, provoking a short- term reaction that might push prices up by 2 to 3 per cent, said Colliers International's director of research and advisory, Ms Chia Siew Chuin.

But the history of QE announcements and their impact on the Singapore residential market indicate that the effect is unlikely to last more than a couple of quarters before prices stabilise and flatten out, she added.

Ms Chia expects prices to edge up by 2 to 3 per cent over the next 12 months.

Savills Singapore research head Alan Cheong said that unless further "draconian policies" are introduced or mechanisms devised to counter the liquidity from QE3, prices are expected to continue rising for the rest of this year and next. He added that more QE could send interest rates and borrowing costs here down even further.

UOB Kay Hian analyst Vikrant Pandey said more cooling measures could be on the cards with a maximum loan-term cap a "likely measure in the near term".

"With QE3 in place, we believe the Government could carefully review banks' lending practices and come out with additional measures if necessary," he added.

[email protected]

land118
03-10-12, 07:07
UP & up, where is Mr B? :banghead:

Ringo33
03-10-12, 07:28
How come propertyguru report sluggish price for landed?

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/marketanalysis?type=L

Rysk
04-10-12, 11:08
UP & up, where is Mr B? :banghead:

NB! Just recently I noticed that most of the listing for landed.. asking price have adjusted upwards.. :banghead:

focus
04-10-12, 12:02
NB! Just recently I noticed that most of the listing for landed.. asking price have adjusted upwards.. :banghead:

Actually. the asking price has been revised upwards every quarter..
Runaway already... Now you buy is for the next generation or to stay in.

dtrax
04-10-12, 12:19
PPI has been consistently going upppp..

QTR PPI %change
2009Q3 150.3 14.9
2009Q4 162.8 8.3
2010Q1 176.3 8.3
2010Q2 187.3 6.2
2010Q3 201.8 7.7
2010Q4 212.9 5.5
2011Q1 221.2 3.9
2011Q2 229.1 3.6
2011Q3 234.5 2.4
2011Q4 234.8 0.1
2012Q1 235.0 0.1
2012Q2 236.0 0.4

carbuncle
04-10-12, 12:34
relentless!!!!

Rysk
04-10-12, 12:47
PPI has been consistently going upppp..

QTR PPI %change
2009Q3 150.3 14.9
2009Q4 162.8 8.3
2010Q1 176.3 8.3
2010Q2 187.3 6.2
2010Q3 201.8 7.7
2010Q4 212.9 5.5
2011Q1 221.2 3.9
2011Q2 229.1 3.6
2011Q3 234.5 2.4
2011Q4 234.8 0.1
2012Q1 235.0 0.1
2012Q2 236.0 0.4

No wonder MR B go MIA.. :D

proper-t
05-10-12, 11:58
Not surprising..look at the number of new singapore citizens coming on-stream. 28K per yr is no joke!

S'pore's population increases to 5.31 million

By Melissa Law (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/author/melissa-law-20120615/)
Singapore's total population increased by 2.5 per cent between 2011 and 2012, despite a low birth rate of 1.2 live births per female. (AFP file photo)
Singapore added a little over 128,000 people over the year up to June this year.

In the latest annual Population Trends (http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/popn/population2012.pdf) publication by the Singapore Department of Statistics (http://www.singstat.gov.sg/), the country’s total population reached 5.31 million at end-June, 2.5 per cent more than the figure a year ago.

The number of Singapore citizens grew by close to 28,000 to 3.29 million over the one-year period.

That of permanent residents (PRs) was up by a little over 1,000 to 533,100 over the period. This was a minimal increase versus the 1.7 per cent contraction the year before.

Rysk
21-12-12, 12:19

7-mth UP $320k.... UP $45k per mth :banghead:

OASIS @ MULBERRY CHEMPAKA AVENUE Terrace House $3,608,888 2,076 Land 1,738 Dec-12

OASIS @ MULBERRY CHEMPAKA AVENUE Terrace House $3,288,888 2,076 Land 1,584 May-12

stl67
21-12-12, 13:45

OASIS @ MULBERRY CHEMPAKA AVENUE Terrace House $3,608,888 2,076 Land 1,738 Dec-12

OASIS @ MULBERRY CHEMPAKA AVENUE Terrace House $3,288,888 2,076 Land 1,584 May-12

Huat ah.. i am vested nearby...

DC33_2008
03-01-13, 12:16
Have been receiving quite a no. of phone calls in the last few days enquiring about interest to sell my landed property. Did a caveat check and found that the latest deal was closed at 1800psf. It really surprise me with so many cash rich people around.

land118
03-01-13, 12:41
ya, landed creeping up quietly, keeping low profile.. Huat Ah!!!

proper-t
03-01-13, 12:53
Have been receiving quite a no. of phone calls in the last few days enquiring about interest to sell my landed property. Did a caveat check and found that the latest deal was closed at 1800psf. It really surprise me with so many cash rich people around.

Yah, agents keep knocking on my door and calling to sell....just ignore. Think a lot of newly minted high networth foreigners granted citizenship. According to some agents, they say that some of these buyers are "foreigners' but are either new citizens or have approval to buy landed and will be paying CASH i.e. Not taking up any loans !!!!

DC33_2008
03-01-13, 16:35
Can see quite a lot of agents are walking around my estate. Does not make sense to sell a fully paid-up FH landed property that is within walking distance to upcoming mrt stn.
Yah, agents keep knocking on my door and calling to sell....just ignore. Think a lot of newly minted high networth foreigners granted citizenship. According to some agents, they say that some of these buyers are "foreigners' but are either new citizens or have approval to buy landed and will be paying CASH i.e. Not taking up any loans !!!!

lajia
03-01-13, 17:03
Most reports are for non landed. Do we have any reports for landed?

proper-t
03-01-13, 18:45
Can see quite a lot of agents are walking around my estate. Does not make sense to sell a fully paid-up FH landed property that is within walking distance to upcoming mrt stn.

Yah...better hold on. Hard to find such a gem.

proper-t
03-01-13, 19:06
As of now, only two property assets are restricted to SG citizens. HDB and Landed (altho' HDB is also opened up to PRs). as of last count, abt 28K new citizens each year. First order of the day for new citizens would be to secure a home. Middle income ones may look for HDB/condos whereas high networth ones will definitely target landed.

With higher taxes being levied on richer US households. those on the fence may be willing to cross over. Hold on tight...thrilling ride ahead....

buttercarp
03-01-13, 20:44
As of now, only two property assets are restricted to SG citizens. HDB and Landed (altho' HDB is also opened up to PRs). as of last count, abt 28K new citizens each year. First order of the day for new citizens would be to secure a home. Middle income ones may look for HDB/condos whereas high networth ones will definitely target landed.

With higher taxes being levied on richer US households. those on the fence may be willing to cross over. Hold on tight...thrilling ride ahead....

You mean like more richer US citizens will consider Singapore citizenship?

proper-t
03-01-13, 21:02
You mean like more richer US citizens will consider Singapore citizenship?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Eduardo Saverin gives up US citizenship, avoids $US600mn tax on FB stake

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/eduardo-saverin-gives-up-us-citizenship-avoids-us600mn-tax-on-fb-stake/story-fnb64oi6-1226354622304

A record 1780 people gave up their US passports last year compared with 235 in 2008, according to government records. That number may soar again next year when income tax rates for top US earners rise to 39.6 per cent from 35 per cent and rates on capital gains and dividends are also are scheduled to rise.

Ringo33
04-01-13, 11:44

how many singapore citizen die each year?

Ringo33
04-01-13, 11:46

1) 3%-$5400 stamp duties (-$93K)
2) seller stamp duty, 16% for 1st year (-$577K)

And this is excluding any renovation cost done.

buttercarp
04-01-13, 12:31
how many singapore citizen die each year?

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/keyind.html#birth

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_vfDpFCIAAE4n_.jpg

2 - Refers to the resident population. The resident population comprises Singapore citizens and permanent residents.

wind30
05-01-13, 05:36
1) 3%-$5400 stamp duties (-$93K)
2) seller stamp duty, 16% for 1st year (-$577K)

And this is excluding any renovation cost done.

lose money also sell...

Ringo33
05-01-13, 12:58
lose money also sell...

SIA asking their pilots to take unpaid leave liao...

proper-t
05-01-13, 17:15
lose money also sell...

Oasis comprise 77 units of terrace house. Firstly, rysk probably got his data from URA which doesn't show unit nos. so it could be different units but same size. All it shows is that a unit sold in Dec was 320K more than a unit sold in May. It doesn't mean that the same buyer that bought in May sold his unit in Dec. Some people here just assumed it is so.

Whatever the case, prices have gone UP !!!!! :D

DC33_2008
05-01-13, 17:23
Do you know where they stay?
SIA asking their pilots to take unpaid leave liao...

Ringo33
05-01-13, 17:28
Oasis comprise 77 units of terrace house. Firstly, rysk probably got his data from URA which doesn't show unit nos. so it could be different units but same size. All it shows is that a unit sold in Dec was 320K more than a unit sold in May. It doesn't mean that the same buyer that bought in May sold his unit in Dec. Some people here just assumed it is so.

Whatever the case, prices have gone UP !!!!! :D

Meaningless to compare it this way as we dont really know that state of each unit, facing, furnishing etc.

If you cherry pick the date from URA transaction, could also say that prices are declining.

proper-t
05-01-13, 17:33
Meaningless to compare it this way as we dont really know that state of each unit, facing, furnishing etc.

If you cherry pick the date from URA transaction, could also say that prices are declining.

Then the same could be said for all the data for each condo development in URA database. If its meaningless, why is URA compiling the data and deriving a property price index?

Ringo33
05-01-13, 17:55
Then the same could be said for all the data for each condo development in URA database. If its meaningless, why is URA compiling the data and deriving a property price index?

In this forum when we compare price gain for condo we always compare the price gain for the SAME unit, and not cherry pick the lowest and highest to make ourselves feel good.

proper-t
05-01-13, 18:41
In this forum when we compare price gain for condo we always compare the price gain for the SAME unit, and not cherry pick the lowest and highest to make ourselves feel good.

Wow! You must be one of the elite few who can discern the facing and finishing of each unit you compare. No wonder you don't feel good and come here to pour cold water all the time. My sympathies....

Ringo33
05-01-13, 21:36
Wow! You must be one of the elite few who can discern the facing and finishing of each unit you compare. No wonder you don't feel good and come here to pour cold water all the time. My sympathies....
I am not here to pour cold water on anyone, I am just stating the fact that it is meaningless to use resale prices of different units from different period to measure investment return, UNLESS you are very sure they are identical, in terms of finishing facing etc.

Just to prove my point, if you use the same URA transaction report for Oasis, you could also pick 2 transactions to show that prices are declining.

You are most welcome to challenge these facts but please keep all those sympathetic to yourself

proper-t
06-01-13, 03:36
Well, I suppose thats one way of consoling yourself when the value of units in your condo haven't moved much or worst - are in negative territory. You can always delude yourself into thinking your units are better in facing/finish and should be worth higher.

Ringo33
06-01-13, 04:54
Well, I suppose thats one way of consoling yourself when the value of units in your condo haven't moved much or worst - are in negative territory. You can always delude yourself into thinking your units are better in facing/finish and should be worth higher.

are you getting offended by me for stating the obvious or are you afraid of confronting the facts?

Like I said before, you are most welcome to challenge me the FACTS, but please keep those sympathies talk to or for yourself.

proper-t
06-01-13, 10:09
Me offended? nah....just very amusing to see how hard you try, hence keep engaging you. You want FACTs, here are the facts :

You are heavily vested in condo/apts in OCR/CCR :

Really depends, 2 of my tenant renting my OCR property are actually working in CBD, while my other tenant for my CCR property is actually working in OCR.

You promote your vested interests quite heavily:

CCR properties, especially those small units, will always be in demand because when foreigners come to Singapore, they will always search from the City Center first before moving out to other region, the same principle when we try to search for hotels when we go for holiday.

If you want rental yield, get those small units next to MRT. You can never go wrong with that.

You have been eyeing landed property :

From thread started by you titled : I LOVE THIS LANDED PROPERTY

this landed look lovely

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/11069591/for-sale-contemporary-thai-style-luxury-home-upp-t

Wherever there is a positive report or someone post a positive view in the landed sub-forum, you always post negative comments or try to undermine the person's comments aka talk down landed. Too many examples to quote here

The FACTS speak for themselves don't they? ;)

Ringo33
06-01-13, 13:30
Me offended? nah....just very amusing to see how hard you try, hence keep engaging you. You want FACTs, here are the facts :

Wherever there is a positive report or someone post a positive view in the landed sub-forum, you always post negative comments or try to undermine the person's comments aka talk down landed. Too many examples to quote here

You are going totally off tangent here and I am not going to engage you in such nonsensical argument. As the saying goes.

Don't argue with idiots or they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The subject we are discussing in this thread is concerning this post by Rysk. As I have highlighted that it is meaningless and misleading to cherry pick 2 transactions and use that to measure the ROI of landed property at Oasis. If you think otherwise, show us some supporting FACTS.

And btw, I use my right hand to wipe my backside, if that interest you. (with paper of course)

proper-t
06-01-13, 14:38
Still trying very hard I see. Very entertaining but the facts clearly show your ulterior motives whenever you post in the landed sub-forum. Better buy the landed you LOVE quick before prices go up more. No point trying to talk down the market. I am afraid your credibility here is diminishing with every further post. After you have bought, we shall then see how your tune will change. ;)

DC33_2008
06-01-13, 15:57
If you are interested in landed at oasis @ mulberry, go for those in the internal roads. You will regret with the traffic going up and down all day, especially on weekdays. Otherwise, those nearer to potong pasir is better. There is one on sale facing the empty field near cedar secondary school.
You are going totally off tangent here and I am not going to engage you in such nonsensical argument. As the saying goes.

Don't argue with idiots or they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The subject we are discussing in this thread is concerning this post by Rysk. As I have highlighted that it is meaningless and misleading to cherry pick 2 transactions and use that to measure the ROI of landed property at Oasis. If you think otherwise, show us some supporting FACTS.

And btw, I use my right hand to wipe my backside, if that interest you. (with paper of course)

buttercarp
06-01-13, 16:51
If you are interested in landed at oasis @ mulberry, go for those in the internal roads. You will regret with the traffic going up and down all day, especially on weekdays. Otherwise, those nearer to potong pasir is better. There is one on sale facing the empty field near cedar secondary school.

For Oasis@ mulberry, how many more units are available from the developer?
Few weeks ago I still saw them advertising.
It has been more than 6 years since it was built and the developer still hold on to it to achieve their asking price.

DC33_2008
06-01-13, 17:13
The remaining Developer's sale units are not so good. There is an old corner terrace facing the facing near cedar girls school is good. Should be about $2.5mil.
For Oasis@ mulberry, how many more units are available from the developer?
Few weeks ago I still saw them advertising.
It has been more than 6 years since it was built and the developer still hold on to it to achieve their asking price.

slepland
06-01-13, 18:29
Still trying very hard I see. Very entertaining but the facts clearly show your ulterior motives whenever you post in the landed sub-forum. Better buy the landed you LOVE quick before prices go up more. No point trying to talk down the market. I am afraid your credibility here is diminishing with every further post. After you have bought, we shall then see how your tune will change. ;)

Are you a property agent? What is your agenda?

proper-t
06-01-13, 19:03
Are you a property agent? What is your agenda?

Hmmm...suddenly a newbie nick with 12 posts in total and have never posted in this landed sub-forum before..may I ask what is your agenda in asking this question? Why all of a sudden this keen interest in this thread? I believe my intentions are very clear in my postings and I am definitely not a property agent.

Ringo33
07-01-13, 07:26

no one is going to stop you from believing what you choose to believe as long as it makes you happy.

here you go again.

7-mth UP $320k.... UP $45k per mth

proper-t
07-01-13, 08:29
Its not what I believe. As I have stated before, the facts speak for themselves....

Originally Posted by Ringo33
Really depends, 2 of my tenant renting my OCR property are actually working in CBD, while my other tenant for my CCR property is actually working in OCR.

CCR properties, especially those small units, will always be in demand because when foreigners come to Singapore, they will always search from the City Center first before moving out to other region, the same principle when we try to search for hotels when we go for holiday.

If you want rental yield, get those small units next to MRT. You can never go wrong with that.

this landed look lovely

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...ury-home-upp-t (http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/11069591/for-sale-contemporary-thai-style-luxury-home-upp-t)

Already other forummers accept the fact and are even willing to help you search for your landed, so why are you in denial?

Ringo33
07-01-13, 08:55
Its not what I believe. As I have stated before, the facts speak for themselves....

Already other forummers accept the fact and are even willing to help you search for your landed, so why are you in denial?
Honestly what has this got to do with the subject we are discussing in this thread? Dont you think you are being overly childish doing all those kiddy paraphrasing?

Like I said, are you free to continue living in denial. by all means go ahead, pop a champagne, go for holiday etc.

7-mth UP $320k.... UP $45k per mth

proper-t
07-01-13, 09:02
Honestly speaking, it has everything to do with not just this thread but the entire sub-forum as the true intentions behind every post you make are now made known. As I said, it is not what I believe but what everyone reading this thread and forum accept as fact.

Ringo33
07-01-13, 09:17
Honestly speaking, it has everything to do with not just this thread but the entire sub-forum as the true intentions behind every post you make are now made known. As I said, it is not what I believe but what everyone reading this thread and forum accept as fact.

my intention is very clear. I am just highlighting the FACT that your cant simply cherry pick 2 transactions and tell the world that property at Oasis is appreciating at a rate of 45K per month or 18% per year.

And for landed property, every unit comes with different finishing and condition, and by looking at URA transacted price alone how do you know the details or how much the previous owner has pump in to renovate the property before it was sold.

You are most welcome to challenge these fact, with facts please (thats if you have any)

proper-t
07-01-13, 09:19
I think you have to try harder to persuade the readers here about your "true" intentions....I don't think anyone is buying it.

Ringo33
07-01-13, 09:25
I think you have to try harder to persuade the readers here about your "true" intentions....I don't think anyone is buying it.

I think I made myself very clear in my previous post.

You are most welcome to challenge these fact, with facts please (thats if you have any)

proper-t
07-01-13, 09:28
Oh yes...your "intentions" are very clear indeed to anyone reading this thread in its entirety....

Ringo33
07-01-13, 10:11
Oh yes...your "intentions" are very clear indeed to anyone reading this thread in its entirety....

I noticed you are very active in landed property discussions, I wonder whats your intention.

proper-t
07-01-13, 10:17
Its really quite sad to see a grown man clutching at straws in an attempt to salvage their credibility.

DC33_2008
07-01-13, 10:19
Look at the map. New station of downtown line also coming near macpherson. Grab landed around here.

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m356/DC33_2008/BidadariDevelopment_zps14dd545e.jpg

Ringo33
08-01-13, 07:08
Rental yield at Oasis is really pathetic and rental has remain pretty much stagnant. with selling price keep moving upward while rental remain flat, rental will not be enough for cover mortgage payment

Nov 2012BELIMBING AVENUE2.03
Nov 2012CHEMPAKA AVENUE2.59
Oct 2012CHEMPAKA AVENUE1.46
Oct 2012MULBERRY AVENUE2.26
Aug 2012LICHI AVENUE1.91
Jun 2012BELIMBING AVENUE1.77
Jun 2012MULBERRY AVENUE1.83
May 2012LICHI AVENUE2.04
Mar 2012MULBERRY AVENUE1.19
Feb 2012BELIMBING AVENUE2.41
Jan 2012MULBERRY AVENUE2.26
Dec 2011LICHI AVENUE1.91
Dec 2011MULBERRY AVENUE1.80
Nov 2011CHEMPAKA AVENUE1.60
Nov 2011LICHI AVENUE2.14
Sep 2011BELIMBING AVENUE2.20
Jun 2011BELIMBING AVENUE1.61
Mar 2011CHEMPAKA AVENUE1.72
Mar 2011MULBERRY AVENUE1.19
Jan 2011BELIMBING AVENUE1.66

DC33_2008
08-01-13, 07:50
This place is not for rental. Landed property rental yield is usually lower.
Rental yield at Oasis is really pathetic and rental has remain pretty much stagnant. with selling price keep moving upward while rental remain flat, rental will not be enough for cover mortgage payment

Nov 2012BELIMBING AVENUE2.03
Nov 2012CHEMPAKA AVENUE2.59
Oct 2012CHEMPAKA AVENUE1.46
Oct 2012MULBERRY AVENUE2.26
Aug 2012LICHI AVENUE1.91
Jun 2012BELIMBING AVENUE1.77
Jun 2012MULBERRY AVENUE1.83
May 2012LICHI AVENUE2.04
Mar 2012MULBERRY AVENUE1.19
Feb 2012BELIMBING AVENUE2.41
Jan 2012MULBERRY AVENUE2.26
Dec 2011LICHI AVENUE1.91
Dec 2011MULBERRY AVENUE1.80
Nov 2011CHEMPAKA AVENUE1.60
Nov 2011LICHI AVENUE2.14
Sep 2011BELIMBING AVENUE2.20
Jun 2011BELIMBING AVENUE1.61
Mar 2011CHEMPAKA AVENUE1.72
Mar 2011MULBERRY AVENUE1.19
Jan 2011BELIMBING AVENUE1.66

proper-t
08-01-13, 08:20

Why bother with him? You know his true motivations. You can be sure that until he acquires his landed, his tune will always be the same and any opportunity he gets, he will try to take potshots in the landed forum. The sad thing is, he doesn't realise how futile his efforts are as it is so clear what his true intentions are.

Ringo33
08-01-13, 09:38

thats is true but somehow there are still owners looking for tenant despite the low rental yield. Some even finding tenant to rent a room.

At say 950psf (build up) with $1.19psf rental, the rental yield is around 1.5%, if you factor in the property tax, maintenance, wear and tear repairs and mortgage interest, the landlord could be running into negative gearing even with record low interest rate if they took up 70 to 80% loan.

proper-t
08-01-13, 09:47
The fact that you are trying so hard to bait people and attempt to recover your lost credibility is quite entertaining....please keep it up! Can't wait to see what you post next.

DC33_2008
08-01-13, 09:48
Hope URA has computed the $psf rental correctly if only one room is rented out for a 3 bedder property. Do you know what I meant? It is good for the property owner as this will translate to lower NAV and there lower property tax.
thats is true but somehow there are still owners looking for tenant despite the low rental yield. Some even finding tenant to rent a room.

At say 950psf (build up) with $1.19psf rental, the rental yield is around 1.5%, if you factor in the property tax, maintenance, wear and tear repairs and mortgage interest, the landlord could be running into negative gearing even with record low interest rate if they took up 70 to 80% loan.

Ringo33
08-01-13, 10:04
Hope URA has computed the $psf rental correctly if only one room is rented out for a 3 bedder property. Do you know what I meant? It is good for the property owner as this will translate to lower NAV and there lower property tax.

If you rent out just 1 bedroom, are you still entitled for the preferential tax rate given for own stay?

DC33_2008
08-01-13, 10:09
Not sure if they even do it legally??? This also applies to HDB flat: Lock 1 room and rent out 2 bedrooms plus common facility.
If you rent out just 1 bedroom, are you still entitled for the preferential tax rate given for own stay?

Ringo33
08-01-13, 10:34
Not sure if they even do it legally??? This also applies to HDB flat: Lock 1 room and rent out 2 bedrooms plus common facility.

Do people stamp their TA when they rent out a room. Or do you need a TA in the first place.

Learner
08-01-13, 22:25

I have a friend who stays around there. According to him, these are new purchases from developer. Prices have indeed moved up.

DC33_2008
29-01-13, 15:00
There will be more competition for landed properties with this nos.

The proposal is to take in 30,000 new permanent residents (PR) every year which will keep the PR population stable at about half a million. Then, from this pool, take in 15,000 to 25,000 new citizens each year, to stop the citizen population from shrinking.

At this rate, by 2030, Singapore's total population numbers should hit between 6.5 and 6.9 million.

bullman
29-01-13, 16:14
I guess it sort of enforces the concept that FH landed will be IMBA.

proper-t
29-01-13, 17:30

Yep, its a big hint on how to plan your next strategic move.

Learner
30-01-13, 21:48

sorry... what is "IMBA"?

electron
30-01-13, 22:03
sorry... what is "IMBA"?
'Imbalanced' in WoWspeak. In English, simply super awesome and unbeatable :D

Learner
30-01-13, 22:06
'Imbalanced' in WoWspeak. In English, simply super awesome and unbeatable :D

haha... i see... thanks :)

proud owner
01-02-13, 01:38
Do people stamp their TA when they rent out a room. Or do you need a TA in the first place.

Pls tell me if I m wrong

There's no law that says all TA must be stamped.

Stamping is to protect landlord

If tenant default ... Landlord can sue
But if TA is not stamped, it can't be used as evidence

So if you are so darn sure your tenant won't do any wrong, there's no need to stamp the TA

DC33_2008
01-02-13, 10:26
Surprise to see agents coming around my estate yesterday with 2 mandarin oranges and wish us Happy Lunar New Year! It is a small investment for having a chance of closing a deal of 2% commission of a couple of millions. Well, it is a number game. ;)

hyenergix
01-02-13, 15:39
Surprise to see agents coming around my estate yesterday with 2 mandarin oranges and wish us Happy Lunar New Year! It is a small investment for having a chance of closing a deal of 2% commission of a couple of millions. Well, it is a number game. ;)

The oranges are not simple.

DC33_2008
01-02-13, 15:41
Anyway properties are bought to be kept and not for sale, especially FH landed ones in Singapore.
The oranges are not simple.

chiaberry
01-02-13, 15:55

That's very cute!

Anyway why should we engage agents for selling a multi million dollar property when their commission is so huge? It doesn't seem worth it.

buttercarp
01-02-13, 19:51
That's very cute!

Anyway why should we engage agents for selling a multi million dollar property when their commission is so huge? It doesn't seem worth it.

Can we sell without going through an agent?
If we found a serious buyer, can we just get a lawyer to draw up a contract?

Rosy
01-02-13, 22:29
Can we sell without going through an agent?
If we found a serious buyer, can we just get a lawyer to draw up a contract?
Yes provided both parties agree to the clauses as it may be bias depending which side draft it.

chiaberry
02-02-13, 08:18
I don't see why we need the agents in that case. Should be between the lawyers of both parties. There isn't a law that stipulates need to have property agent in the transaction right? Seriously the commission for landed is too high to engage an agent unless you are very desperate to sell in a hurry. The Option to purchase is fairly standard from what I see. Can just cut and paste from the previous property and get the lawyer to vet it beforehand. Or if you don't have the copy, get one from the lawyer. The lawyer should be more than happy to oblige as they would be the ones getting the fees from your transaction eventually.

Rosy
02-02-13, 09:36
From what i understand, landed sellers usually pay 1% comm instead of 2%.

Property agent is useful when comes to price negotiation and answer funny questions from buyers from my point of view.

Let say i am selling direct without an agent. I listed out all the good points to the buyer and then buyer will think why i need to sell if the property is so good?

chiaberry
02-02-13, 09:41
From what i understand, landed sellers usually pay 1% comm instead of 2%.

Property agent is useful when comes to price negotiation and answer funny questions from buyers from my point of view.

Let say i am selling direct without an agent. I listed out all the good points to the buyer and then buyer will think why i need to sell if the property is so good?

To avoid having to pay hefty ABSD upon inheritance of a landed which we can't afford to pay upfront in cash.

Even 1% is a huge sum for a big landed. :tongue3:

Rosy
02-02-13, 09:42
To avoid having to pay hefty ABSD upon inheritance of a landed which we can't afford to pay upfront in cash.

If u give such an answer, i would press down a lower offer if i am the buyer.

Imagine u are selling a let say 5-10mil detached house or 20mil gcb, what the buyer will think of u if you are marketing your own unit instead? Cheapskate trying to save comm?

chiaberry
02-02-13, 09:50
If u give such an answer, i would press down a lower offer if i am the buyer.

Imagine u are selling a let say 5-10mil detached house or 20mil gcb, what the buyer will think of u if you are marketing your own unit instead? Cheapskate trying to save comm?

Personally am not afraid or shy of being though of as cheapskate.

Would stand firm on the price offered if the property is in limited supply. Worst come to the worst, liquidate other assets to pay the ABSD and transfer over the property.

But I think in such cases, we can nego the commission. Is there such thing as minimum commission rate mandated by law?

Rosy
02-02-13, 09:52
Personally am not afraid or shy of being though of as cheapskate.

Would stand firm on the price offered if the property is in limited supply. Worst come to the worst, liquidate other assets to pay the ABSD and transfer over the property.

But I think in such cases, we can nego the commission. Is there such thing as minimum commission rate mandated by law?
No min or max comm. willing agent willing seller.

One more thing, some buyers actually engage agents to scout properties for them. So even though u are selling without an agent, u may have to pay comm to buyer agent.

teddybear
02-02-13, 09:53
ABSD is not applicable for inherited property right?

There is no more inheritance tax since several years ago.

chiaberry
02-02-13, 09:58
According to this article, we have to pay 10% if inheriting a property and we have other property already. This is not called inheritance tax but it is worse than the previous inheritance tax. It's a stealth tax.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=16718

Rosy
02-02-13, 10:11
For those who have not try selling their house on their own should give it a try. It is very demoralising to pick up 9 calls from agents out of 10 calls.

chiaberry
02-02-13, 10:25
And to fend off agents canvassing to market your unit instead of bringing in potential buyers. :tongue3:

Let's hope that the ABSD for inherited properties will be awarded an exemption in due course.

DC33_2008
02-02-13, 13:20
Wow. It is a lot of money.
According to this article, we have to pay 10% if inheriting a property and we have other property already. This is not called inheritance tax but it is worse than the previous inheritance tax. It's a stealth tax.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=16718

chiaberry
02-02-13, 13:42
So if your parents own a GCB what are you going to do? Cough up 2 mio to MIW when they depart?

If you currently own a bungalow (not even a GCB), can your children pay the 10% tax to continue staying in your house in case you depart suddently and unexpectedly?

I wonder if the interpretation of that tax is correct and there is no exemption granted, do the MIW know the implications for themselves and their their children?

Better hope nobody who has a large property portfolio departs before they sort this out (or give exemption). :eek:

DC33_2008
02-02-13, 13:56
Simply sell it.
So if your parents own a GCB what are you going to do? Cough up 2 mio to MIW when they depart?

If you currently own a bungalow (not even a GCB), can your children pay the 10% tax to continue staying in your house in case you depart suddently and unexpectedly?

I wonder if the interpretation of that tax is correct and there is no exemption granted, do the MIW know the implications for themselves and their their children?

Better hope nobody who has a large property portfolio departs before they sort this out (or give exemption). :eek:

taggy
02-02-13, 15:38

actually it depend on what is the will instruction:
that article is referring "a will that bequeaths a property with apparent instruction for sale, so that the beneficiary receives the sale proceeds of a property rather than the property itself." -> this type of will, if beneficiary do not sell, but choose to keep the property, then he will kena ABSD.

But, if the will is simply distributing the property share to the beneficiary, without stating the property must be sold. Then, the beneficiary will not kena ABSD.

Then, if there is no will. Beneficiary who get the property by way of inheritance, will not kena ABSD as well.

buttercarp
03-02-13, 10:55
From what I understand regarding SSD is that if the transferor who has since died, bought the property on of after 20Feb 2010, the beneficiary is subjected to SSD if he sells the property counting from the date the transferor bought the property.
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=10204

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding ABSD for inherited properties :

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/uploadedFiles/Quick_Links/e-Tax_Guides/Stamp_duty/E-Tax%20Guide%20on%20ABSD%207%20Dec%202011.pdf
Published on 7 December 2011

Manner of Property Acquisition/Transfer

The most common manner of property acquisition is by way of direct purchase.

Properties may also be acquired or transferred in the following manner : -

(a) Via Gift, Inheritance, Release, Settlement;

(b) Via Declaration of Trust where the beneficial interest in the property passes to

the beneficiary;

(c) Via Letter of Authority

(d) Via Exchange

All the above manner of property acquisition will similarly be subject to ABSD

depending on the profile of the transferee, beneficiary and the intended transferee.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/uploadedfiles/e-Tax_Guide/Stamp_Duty_ABSD_on_Purchase_of_Residential_Properties_Revised_Edition.pdf

Published on 11 January 2013

Manner of Property Acquisition/Transfer

The most common manner of property acquisition is by way of direct purchase.

Properties may also be acquired or transferred in the following manner : -

(a) Via Gift, Release, Settlement;

(b) Via Declaration of Trust where the beneficial interest in the property is vested in

the beneficiary;

(c) Via Letter of Authority

(d) Via Exchange

All the above manner of property acquisition will similarly be subject to ABSD,

depending on the profile of the transferee, beneficiary and the intended transferee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice the latest circular differs from the earlier one in that it removes the word INHERITANCE in the manner of acquisition of property.

taggy
03-02-13, 11:04
Notice the latest circular differs from the earlier one in that it removes the word INHERITANCE in the manner of acquisition of property.

ABSD e-Tax guide:
First published on 7 December 2011
Second Edition published on 12 January 2012
Third Edition published on 19 January 2012

by 19-jan-2012, "5.1 – Deleted ‘Inheritance'" - inheritance already removed from ABSD.

Ringo33
18-02-13, 18:30
As I have mentioned earlier that tracking landed property price index is not as straight forward as condo because many time, old landed property are being bought and then tear down for rebuilding before its being sold. While the transaction profit/loss capture by URA doesnt include the cost of A&A or rebuilding.

Here is a simple way to check if the so-call "profit" is inclusive on remodeling cost.

Step 1 - Identify the address of the property and locate it using onemap
Step 2 - Click Land Lot view option on onemap and copy down the land lot number
Step 3 - Do a search on HERE (http://spring.ura.gov.sg/dcd/eservices/devregister/edrMain.cfm) using the land lot number option e.g MK12 1234 (exclude the '-' and '0' in front)

If there is any major work done, there should be a record of the permission granted. For example

PROPOSED RECONSTRUCTION OF EXISTING 2-STOREY SEMI-DETACHED HOUSE

PROPOSED ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING 2-STOREY INTERMEDIATE TERRACE

LAND SUBDIVISION INTO 2 PLOTS AT ?????

Ringo33
19-02-13, 11:27
There has been an active of discussion on another thread about the MAS abolishing USD SIBOR and this could potential be a turn point where interest rate will rise.

Consider the large loan quantum of landed property and low yield, do you guys think that rising interest rate will cause a big correction to landed property?

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?p=370433#post370433

Pinball
19-02-13, 11:32
eyeing any house right now? which district you looking at?

There has been an active of discussion on another thread about the MAS abolishing USD SIBOR and this could potential be a turn point where interest rate will rise.

Consider the large loan quantum of landed property and low yield, do you guys think that rising interest rate will cause a big correction to landed property?

proper-t
19-02-13, 11:46

Capitalism can be a friend or enemy, if left unchecked it will bring the entire country down to it knees. The recent elections result and the demonstration at hong lin park is a good example of where Singapore is heading and if government doesnt do anything to address the people's concern, PAP will be voter out in the coming few election.

In the past Singapore was one of the most friendly country for such investors, but of recent years, they have made it more difficult for rich foreigners to qualify for PR and making if extremely difficult for PR to buy landed property. This could also be due to worldwide clamp down on money laundering.

So IF the government is to continue bringing in bus load of NC to Singapore, I think it will be prudent to review current policy of landed property.

If govt bringing bus load of NC to SG and you are of the opinion that they will start buying up multiple landed (since you are advocating curbs), won't that support the landed market?

Anyone who cannot tahan servicing his landed loan can just unload to these NCs.

teddybear
19-02-13, 11:48
What has US$ SIBOR got to do with S$ mortgage loan? :rolleyes:
Fear mongering? :tsk-tsk:

Ringo33
19-02-13, 12:13
What has US$ SIBOR got to do with S$ mortgage loan? :rolleyes:
Fear mongering? :tsk-tsk:

I understand that the motivation behind this is MAS doesnt want to depend on USA to set interest rate anymore, so by removing USD SIBOR it will allow MAS to have a more independent control of S$ SIBOR.

Ringo33
19-02-13, 12:14
eyeing any house right now? which district you looking at?

not interested in house, more interested in land.

Pinball
19-02-13, 12:18
interesting! are you going to build houses? i'm keen on that too

MLP
22-02-13, 22:20
Since 3 years ago, I have heard many people in this forum and from newspapers that property prices will crash. So if you are really keen to buy a landed property, just go ahead and buy one now. Don't wait! Otherwise you will be tan gu gu...:doh:

Ringo33
22-02-13, 22:32
Since 3 years ago, I have heard many people in this forum and from newspapers that property prices will crash. So if you are really keen to buy a landed property, just go ahead and buy one now. Don't wait! Otherwise you will be tan gu gu...:doh:

Renting is better.

bullman
23-02-13, 16:20
Renting is better.

Words of a wise man

Rosy
23-02-13, 21:45
It is not really a good time to enter the property market now be it condos or landed.

Let 1st timers buy their first roof now. Others can wait and see.