PDA

View Full Version : Buy US property and study for secondary school?

East Lover
17-09-12, 13:31
Initially my friend wants to migrate from US to SG, but she turned hesitated now due to the sky high property price here, and complicated education system. One of the reasons could be scared by my frustration, as I'm struggling for my boy boy's PSLE.:banghead:

Instead, she started to convince me to migrate to US for studying secondary school, she said it would be easier for boy to adopt high school life if we go now. But that means i have to be 陪读妈妈for 6 years! :eek:

What do you think?

I would like to seek some advice from fellow forumers:
1. What's the academic path in SG if my boy can't go to express stream?
2. Are we able to take a housing loan in US?
3. Is it worthy to spend US$600K - US$700K fully paid for a house near the top school? I heard the property tax in the good district is huge.

hopeful
17-09-12, 13:37
your anxiety are causing undue stress on your boy, which affects his mental performance.
if you are relax, your boy will be relax.
studying in top school is not everything.

why dont you spend the money on donation to school?
easier than migrating to US. but hush-hush, dont brag to others ok.

indomie
17-09-12, 13:44
The worst secondary school in sg has the best teacher. Ur boy will learn so much more in worst school than the best secondary.

East Lover
17-09-12, 14:02
your anxiety are causing undue stress on your boy, which affects his mental performance.

can donate money to good school? really???

no need top school lah, but at least can't mix with those 明成一派,right??

East Lover
17-09-12, 14:04
The worst secondary school in sg has the best teacher. Ur boy will learn so much more in worst school than the best secondary.
i doubt so... would you mind to elaborate a bit more? :D

CondoWE
17-09-12, 14:12
Nowsaday..you can see many PSLE A's student are from neighbourhood school so why you so worry. If your kid can't scope here, I doubt he can scope in any part of the world when he/she grow up..:rolleyes: !

yowetan
17-09-12, 14:16

Hi. What can I do if I do not have any more cash for donation purpose?

hopeful
17-09-12, 14:30
can donate money to good school? really???

no need top school lah, but at least can't mix with those 明成一派,right??

1) select the school u want your boy to go to
2) make friend with principal, vice-principal. get somebody to introduce you.
3) wait for some time.
4) then tell your old friend (the principal/vice-principal) about your problem, getting your boy in their school. before you approach for their help, make sure you are close to them already.

every principal/vice-principal will reject outright "bribery" from unknown person, but if donation from old friend, they will help.

phantom_opera
17-09-12, 14:35
know your son's real interest and groom him, PSLE is not the end of the world

Laguna
17-09-12, 14:37

Don't need to stress so much. My son got on 218 for his PSLE and almost a perfect score of 4 at poly. Boys, generally, they open their threadhole late in their teens.

If u don't hv no credit history in US, then u can forget about it.

3. Is it worthy to spend US$600K - US$700K fully paid for a house near the top school? I heard the property tax in the good district is huge.

rental near to the top schools are also very high.
next, u need to consider the currency risk.

There are many other considerations.
Also u must plan the education path for your kids. Don't close their doors here too early. The schools in US also have a lot of problems in value building.

hopeful
17-09-12, 14:40
Hi. What can I do if I do not have any more cash for donation purpose?
if no money, then depend on luck for pri1 and sec1 places. these places are closely monitored.

if have money, wait to transfer pri2 and sec2. transfer students not that closely monitored by public and system.
people will question how can psle score 200 enter RI or RGS sec1.
however nobody question if the same student transferred during RI/RGS sec2. no more scrutiny already see.

indomie
17-09-12, 15:11
i doubt so... would you mind to elaborate a bit more? :D
From my own experience... The teachers assigned to the bad secondary school usually older and more experience. They usually are better teachers, whereas those assigned to top school are younger and less experienced (the students already smart... What). In bad school u got a lot of remedial lessons, no need private tutoring.

radha08
17-09-12, 16:03
Initially my friend wants to migrate from US to SG, but she turned hesitated now due to the sky high property price here, and complicated education system. One of the reasons could be scared by my frustration, as I'm struggling for my boy boy's PSLE.:banghead:

Instead, she started to convince me to migrate to US for studying secondary school, she said it would be easier for boy to adopt high school life if we go now. But that means i have to be 陪读妈妈for 6 years! :eek:

What do you think?

I would like to seek some advice from fellow forumers:

your boys psle=my girls psle...:cheers4::cheers4:

i am not struggling only my girl and my wife...:D:D:D

East Lover
17-09-12, 18:11
Dear Laguna,

Thanks a lot for your detailed analysis. I like your input as always! :)

I strongly feel SG education system punish 晚熟的孩子!

Don't need to stress so much. My son got on 218 for his PSLE and almost a perfect score of 4 at poly. Boys, generally, they open their threadhole late in their teens.

If u don't hv no credit history in US, then u can forget about it.

rental near to the top schools are also very high.
next, u need to consider the currency risk.

There are many other considerations.
Also u must plan the education path for your kids. Don't close their doors here too early. The schools in US also have a lot of problems in value building.

East Lover
17-09-12, 18:13
Nowsaday..you can see many PSLE A's student are from neighbourhood school so why you so worry. If your kid can't scope here, I doubt he can scope in any part of the world when he/she grow up..:rolleyes: !
not true. only here PSLE killed a lot of 晚熟的孩子的自信心!

East Lover
17-09-12, 18:15
your boys psle=my girls psle...:cheers4::cheers4:

i am not struggling only my girl and my wife...:D:D:D
how lucky you are....
no matter what, PSLE is going to oooooooooooover soon! finally!!!:cheers4:

phantom_opera
17-09-12, 18:33
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/79/The_Giving_Tree.jpg/200px-The_Giving_Tree.jpg

A long time ago, there was a huge apple tree. A little boy loved to come and play around it everyday. He climbed to the treetop, ate the apples, took a nap under the shadow…he loved the tree and the tree loved to play with him. Time went by…the little boy had grown up and he no longer played around the tree every day.

One day, the boy came back to the tree and he looked sad. "Come and play with me” the tree asked the boy. "I am no longer a kid, I do not play around trees any more” the boy replied.
“I want toys. I need money to buy them.” “Sorry, but I do not have money… but you can pick all my apples and sell them. So, you will have money.” The boy was so excited. He grabbed all the apples on the tree and left happily. The boy never came back after he picked the apples. The tree was sad.

One day, the boy who now turned into a man returned and the tree was excited “Come and play with me” the tree said. “I do not have time to play. I have to work for my family. We need a house for shelter. Can you help me?” “ Sorry, but I do not have any house. But you can chop off my branches to build your house.” So the man cut all the branches of the tree and left happily. The tree was glad to see him happy but the man never came back since then. The tree was again lonely and sad.

One hot summer day, the man returned and the tree was delighted. "Come and play with me!” the tree said. “I am getting old. I want to go sailing to relax myself. Can you give me a boat?” said the man. "Use my trunk to build your boat. You can sail far away and be happy.” So the man cut the tree trunk to make a boat. He went sailing and never showed up for a long time.

Finally, the man returned after many years. "Sorry, my boy. But I do not have anything for you anymore. No more apples for you …” the tree said. "No problem, I do not have any teeth to bite" the man replied. "No more trunk for you to climb on” “I am too old for that now” the man said. "I really cannot give you anything... the only thing left is my dying roots” the tree said with tears. "I do not need much now, just a place to rest. I am tired after all these years” the man replied. "Good! Old tree roots are the best place to lean on and rest, Come, come sit down with me and rest.” The man sat down and the tree was glad and smiled with tears…

phantom_opera
17-09-12, 18:43
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Tree

Sheldon Allan "Shel" Silverstein (September 25, 1930 – May 8/9, 1999), was an American poet, singer-songwriter, musician, composer, cartoonist, screenwriter and author of children's books

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8f/Ssilverstein.jpg/220px-Ssilverstein.jpg
====================================================

Our Singapore education system can never produce this kind of person because everyday the kid will have homework homework homework, test test test, exam exam exam, tuition tuition tuition

Our kid has no time to appreciate Nature, has no time to play with other kids, has no time to play with the animals, has no time to sit under a tree to day-dream, has no time to play his toys, has no time to run the dog, has no time to travel, has never learn how to relax under the stars ...

All our kids know is write flowery bombastic English composition that will score in PSLE but failed to touch the heart of anybody ... a tiny fraction of them will become elites that lead Singapore one day and these leaders will know nothing but economic numbers

East Lover
17-09-12, 19:01
Well said! Nowadays my boy smiled less and less. Not only me but many parents are same - all the 烤生,烤妈心力交瘁啊!!:banghead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Tree

Sheldon Allan "Shel" Silverstein (September 25, 1930 – May 8/9, 1999), was an American poet, singer-songwriter, musician, composer, cartoonist, screenwriter and author of children's books

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8f/Ssilverstein.jpg/220px-Ssilverstein.jpg
====================================================

Our Singapore education system can never produce this kind of person because everyday the kid will have homework homework homework, test test test, exam exam exam, tuition tuition tuition

Our kid has no time to appreciate Nature, has no time to play with other kids, has no time to play with the animals, has no time to sit under a tree to day-dream, has no time to play his toys, has no time to run the dog, has no time to travel, has never learn how to relax under the stars ...

All our kids know is write flowery bombastic English composition that will score in PSLE but failed to touch the heart of anybody ... a tiny fraction of them will become elites that lead Singapore one day and these leaders will know nothing but economic numbers

indomie
17-09-12, 20:28
Smart people get to learn at good school
Stupid people get learn at the street

Smart people get a good job
Stupid people must set up own business

Smart people aiming for promotion
Stupid people aim to make money

Stupid people hire smart people to run business
Smart people work for stupid people

buttercarp
17-09-12, 20:40
I strongly feel SG education system punish 晚熟的孩子!

I feel that SG education system benefits all rounders.
I feel it is too rigid.
Look at the scoring system.
At O level you have to choose english or HMT + 1 humanities subject + 1 math + 1 science + 2 other relavant subjects.

So if a student excels in math and sci but sucks at languages and humanities or vice versa, there is no way he gonna get a good aggregate.

Laguna
17-09-12, 21:54
Story of Giving Tree

When I found this book in the library 20+ years back, I was so happy, and repeatedly borrowed and read to my children over many years.

It was such a wonderful book to build value in children.

Can u believe, my girl, now 26, still remember this book....

Laguna
17-09-12, 21:56
how lucky you are....
no matter what, PSLE is going to oooooooooooover soon! finally!!!:cheers4:

take it easy, PSLE is just a small mountain.....

I shall recommend u a few good books for u and your children....

CondoWE
17-09-12, 22:37
take it easy, PSLE is just a small mountain.....

I shall recommend u a few good books for u and your children....
I agreed. There are still many mountains ahead..:doh: !

graveyard
17-09-12, 22:54
Story of Giving Tree

When I found this book in the library 20+ years back, I was so happy, and repeatedly borrowed and read to my children over many years.

Lui will be happy to share the story of the big old tree and the poisonous mushrooms with the kids :D

Arcachon
18-09-12, 01:15
I feel that SG education system benefits all rounders.
I feel it is too rigid.
Look at the scoring system.
At O level you have to choose english or HMT + 1 humanities subject + 1 math + 1 science + 2 other relavant subjects.

So if a student excels in math and sci but sucks at languages and humanities or vice versa, there is no way he gonna get a good aggregate.

It break my heart when I bring my son to France when he tell me he don't want to go.

He have just completed his Lycee (A level) this year and back in Singapore for his NS medical check up while his former classmate in DHS is busy preparing for the A-level.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Pd71gHqx4y8/UFdZYx4M98I/AAAAAAAAIjY/36ffBBJaf0M/s1600/junjie.jpg

carbuncle
18-09-12, 09:40
Your son name Jun Jie?

carbuncle
18-09-12, 09:47
the giving tree is touching indeed. sadly or fortunately rather, I was never brought up that day. there's always a catch. there's always a condition. you must feed us when we are old. you must give us at least x x x dollars. you must.....you must.....

anyway I grew up on Enid Blyton, Hardy Boys and Tin Tin.

carbuncle
18-09-12, 09:50
did east lover just write BBQ students and BBQ moms?

East Lover
18-09-12, 10:12
did east lover just write BBQ students and BBQ moms?
Yes!烤生 instead of 考生 :D 恨死这个万恶的PSLE...
I cut and paste something from other 烤妈's blog here, she described the PSLE mom's frustration very precisely:

唯一的区别是,天朝最残酷的淘汰赛发生在孩子们18岁的时候,坡县残酷的第一轮淘汰赛发生在孩子们12岁的时候。到真正高考的时候已经没有太多人关心了。因为大部分孩子已经被淘汰掉,没有机会参加这个游戏了。

当然,有关当局说了,孩子们还有很多途径可以上大学的,条条大路通罗马。可是你要知道,坡县的好中学和差中学跟国内的重点和非重点可不一样。国内的学校,好坏都是统一教材,大家被教导的东西是一样的。坡县可不同,好中学会开11门甚至更多门课,差中学只有8门甚至更少的课。好中学就是朝着大学方向教的,差中学就朝着拿个中学文凭走向社会做劳动力的方向教的。尼玛这差别可大了。

在差中学要学到能进大学门,必须比那些走快捷道路的同龄人付出几倍甚至几十倍的努力,才能跨越这些人为设置的壕沟。这是对他们不早熟的惩罚。

所以新加坡才有那么多怕输的家长,孩子才几个月就抱去上补习。前两天,我看到院子里的两个4岁小女生背起了“苦闷”的小书包。(kumon,国内译作公文班。)我立刻苦闷了,儿子那么幼稚,到现在也不肯用功读书,我该从小就去培养女儿,避免她重蹈覆辙吗?

随着考试一天天临近,我觉得天渐渐亮了。我已经不关心儿子可以考多少分,考什么学校了。现在我最大的愿望是:

快TNND考完吧!

hopeful
18-09-12, 10:31
Story of Giving Tree

YT's parents and PIL are like the giving tree. Parents are selfless, always giving, and sacrificing for their children.

And how is YT different from the boy in the story?
Your response to this story is so different from your response to YT.

Can explain to me how this story can build value in children.:beats-me-man:

PN
18-09-12, 10:49
Why give children so much pressure?

Last time our parents just tell us "You see our neighbour's children study so hard working & results very good. You must follow their good example".

But No tuition, no 10yrs series, nothing. Just study on your own. Who can help you. Nobody because parents not educated.

I did the same to my child. Other than pre-primary preparation class, I don't send them for any additional tuition class. I don't want to give them pressure. So long as they pass all the test/exam, I'm happy.

Tell your child "try your best and Papa will be fully behind you. Anything which you don't understand can ask me but you must try on your own first". So far it works for me. They not top in class never mind but they must know what mistakes they made that resulted in the wrong answers. Learn from mistakes is more important. If same mistake repeated again, I get angry & they know they must pull up they socks.

One mistake many parents made is they pressure they child to score 100 marks & must be top 10 or top 3 in their class. This is bad & will result in poorer results & stressed unhappy child.

Don't forget to let your child get involve in sports, musics, arts whichever they are interested in. All these activities helps to develop their brain and build up their characters & eventually helps in their studies as well.

Laguna
18-09-12, 11:04
Can explain to me how this story can build value in children.:beats-me-man:

In fact, I had a huge collection of books for my children.
This book is talking about self-less....but on the other hand, I teach my children when they grow up to be selfish....LOL

buttercarp
18-09-12, 11:14
In fact, I had a huge collection of books for my children.
This book is talking about self-less....but on the other hand, I teach my children when they grow up to be selfish....LOL

LOL....
I teach my children to think of themselves first before thinking of others.
They have to be street wise in our society.

hopeful
18-09-12, 11:16
funny right, when they are children, we tell them to share their toys with others. :)

East Lover
18-09-12, 12:15
绿领巾算神马,来见识见识新加坡小学教育的分级制度吧

国内有小学校给成绩差的孩子带绿领巾,这种做法在全国范围内引起轩然大波,大家一致谴责始作俑者不懂教育,不尊重孩子,不明白科学育人的道理。可惜新加坡的家长们还没有这样的认识,或者说教育界还没有正视分级分类给孩子们带来的影响。

新加坡实行精英教育,小学3年级在全国范围内选拔前1%的聪明孩子进入分布在9所学校的天才班(GEP),集中优势资源实行优化教育,这些孩子今后的升学道路会比普通孩子顺利得多,可以说凭借9岁时的出色表现,这些孩子们驶入了动车轨道。

在选拔精英的同时,新加坡也在剔除笨蛋。虽然教育部两年前在小六离校考试(PSLE)中取消了低于正常标准的笨蛋班的考试级别(EM3)。但仍然允许小学从5年级开始设立低于普通标准的班级(foundation)。读这个类别的课程意味着这些孩子学的东西比大多数同学学的简单,要求也低得多,也意味着小六过后,他们将无法跟大多数同龄人一样进入普通中学。因为他们的考试成绩太差,只有专门兜底的学校才会收。

PSLE考4门,满分300分。通常250分以上可以进入最好的中学,孩子基本上就算站在大学门外了。230分以上可以进比较好的中学,孩子上高中乃至上大学都比较有保障,至少能上poly(从学习内容和文凭作用上讲类似国内的大专,但从学时上讲相当于国内的职高,因为是与高中并行的教育。) 200分以上可以进普通中学,小部分人可以上高中,其余部分进poly部分进ITE(职业学校)。188分以上仍可只读4年初中(新加坡的中学初中上4或5年,高中2年)多半进入ITE。低于这个分数要读5年初中,之后想进ITE都不容易。

某所学校里第一班的第一名高达260分,F班第一名却只有150分。如果说PSLE是大多数孩子人生道路的第一道分水岭,那进入F班的孩子就在10岁的时候提前为自己拿了一张特慢车票。(五年级的分班依据四年级期末考试的分数而定,正常入学的孩子到那时最大只有10岁,小的只有9岁。)

这种把学生分类的做法有个响亮的名义:因材施教。这本是不错的理念,但执行年龄如此之小,以至于孩子们连青春期都没到,就已经被分门别类为优材或蠢才了,最重要的是这个分类通过PSLE的考试筛选,直接影响到了孩子们今后人生道路的选择。

新加坡人怕输,从幼儿园就给孩子补习,那是因为孩子们输不起。他们在懵懂无知的时候就要被分类,被推上不同的道路。我不知道被分到差班的孩子有多少是傻的,只知道很多误入歧途的浪子都非常聪明,他们只是被家长被学校被社会抛弃了而已。

给儿子报补习班的时候,补习学校的营销人员明确表示如果孩子在读foundation课程,是没有成绩提高的保证的。(这所学校承诺如果孩子在PSLE的考试中成绩没有提高一个档次,如从B到A,或从C到B,就退还学费。)因为虫虫的成绩不好,销售人员反复追问他是不是在F班,并一再强调如果孩子在F班,家长还坚持补习,即使最后成绩没有提高,也不会退费。我说儿子学校没有分班,销售人员和与我同去的朋友异口同声地说“不可能!”并让我回学校问清楚。

现在我搞清楚了,儿子的学校真的没有分类,学习再差的学生也可以跟大家读同样的教材,参加同等级别的考试。这意味着学习较差的孩子们仍然有机会奋起直追,如果他们在最后一年幡然醒悟,努力学习,仍有可能考进好中学。学校的建校宗旨阐明要平等地爱这些孩子们。在这所学校里的“差生”真的从中受益了。

期末需要买教材,一个专门卖教材的网站囊括了104所小学的教材销售,通过它我得以一窥各校的分班情况。出于好奇,我对这104所小学的5-6年级分班情况进行了统计,得出数据如下:

104所小学中仅有包括虫虫所在的海星小学在内的9所学校没有F班;2所学校有至少一门foundation课程;87所学校有至少一个F班;6所有GEP班的名校,除rosyth小学非常牛X,5、6年级不用课本因此无法知道它是否分班外,其余5所小学都既有GEP班,又有F班。不知道这些名校里的F班的学生们感受如何,他们跟天才朝夕相处,却连普通的学业都无法完成,这样的差距不会影响他们的自我判断吗?不知道这些孩子们的家长有何感想,孩子小一时能进入名校他们应该很开心吧,但得到这样的结果他们还能笑得出吗?特别是那些通过做义工把孩子送进名校的家长们会不会后悔当初的选择?

我认识一位新加坡家长,在孩子5年级时把他从名校的F班转到邻里小学的普通班,PSLE考到210多,而他原来那个班的名校同学没有高过180的。另一位家长女儿在一所名校里,儿子却放到了虫虫上过的第一所邻里小学。听说她女儿上名校时我很惊讶,因为姐姐在名校,弟弟进入同所学校毫无障碍,她却为儿子选了这所没人愿上的邻里小学(招生进行到最后一天,学校还剩100多个名额,那拨儿是龙子龙女,好学校早早就满员了。)她说是因为儿子不够聪明。实际上那小男孩非常可爱非常阳光,言谈举止完全没有傻子的迹象。

据说F班学生的考试成绩是不计入学校PSLE合格率的统计之内的,也许这就是绝大多数学校设立F班的原因吧。

新加坡有184所参加PSLE考试的政府及自主小学,每年约有5万名小学毕业生。现以教材网站的抽样数据为依据进行推理:假设9所有天才班的名校都有F班,其余175所学校中的84% 即147所学校有F班,再假设全部有F班的学校都只有一个这种班,且学生人数为20人(新加坡小学普通班级通常有近40人,GEP班有25人)。则每年毕业的小学生中将有3120人跟不上学业。

换句话说就是,新加坡小学每年培养出五百名天才的同时也制造出三千多名“蠢才”,对新加坡这样的蕞尔小国来说这不是个小数目,每年有这么多跟不上学业的十一、二岁的“低能儿”,究竟是教育的问题,还是不幸被李敖言中呢?

遗憾的是,没人能分清这些孩子们究竟是生而愚蠢还是被傻瓜了

Arcachon
18-09-12, 12:27
Your son name Jun Jie?

Jun Jie his last Name. I only give him a Chinese name and a Chinese First name.

I was confuse when I learn Chinese First name have numerous spelling and pronunciation in Singapore so I make sure he have only one name that is his Chinese name. He is a Singapore Chinese and not a Chinese.

Laguna
18-09-12, 12:29
I will tell my children....Don't give birth..and enjoy life

Arcachon
18-09-12, 12:53

Remember to have two dogs, one for the husband the other for the wife and become 狗奴.

Arcachon
18-09-12, 12:54
绿领巾算神马,来见识见识新加坡小学教育的分级制度吧

Do you know the present Education system was whose idea.

Arcachon
18-09-12, 13:03
http://www.preshigh.edu.sg/teachers/laick/Singapore/Portrait/Dr%20Goh%20Keng%20Swee%20-%20Shaking%20up%20the%20Education%20Ministry.aspx

hopeful
18-09-12, 13:05

then you got specified who is beneficiary of trust after your children expired?
dont tell me after you work so hard, you want to give back to govt?

Arcachon
18-09-12, 13:12

Can have beneficiary of trust for dog lah.

Arcachon
18-09-12, 13:14
http://www.tonytan.sg/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Biography.pdf

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2004/pr20040416a.htm

East Lover
18-09-12, 14:29
Do you know the present Education system was whose idea.
so... by TT? :rolleyes:

East Lover
18-09-12, 14:31
How about international school here? say UWC. is it a good alternative choice? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Arcachon
18-09-12, 14:55
The Best school is the one that bring out the best from your child. The School should tailor the education to the child and not the child tailor to the school that is the reason they need to do the selection in Pri school, PSLE, O level, A level, Uni.

Laguna
18-09-12, 14:59

Of course, not to the Govt,
for 10 charities mainly for the children

chiaberry
18-09-12, 15:10
How about international school here? say UWC. is it a good alternative choice? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You can consider Hwa Chong International. I know of someone who's child did not qualify for express. Went to HCI. They have same sch holidays as the SG schools and a fair number of local students as opposed to UWC which has a lot more foreigners.

Don't be too hasty to shove your kid overseas for study. Teen years for boys are vulnerable years - their hormones are unstable. It will be a culture shock for them. Not all can adapt so easily. And when they finish their studies, if they want to return to SG, they have lost their contacts/networking here. Again have to re-adapt back to SG environment.

carbuncle
18-09-12, 15:22
bring back ang mo wife never mind.. bring back mixed blood babies

chestnut
18-09-12, 16:07

You can only apply for
1. Hwa Chong International
2. ACSI
3. St Joseph International

Be prepared to folk out >2k per month on school fee.
Out of the 3, SJ international is the best in my opinion.

I feel for you. The school system in singapore does not cater to slow/late learners. So sad, but this is how our system work.

Many people say, why plan for the kid, let the kid slog it out. I beg to differ. Every kid is different. If the kid cannot study, I think our duty is to teach them life skills. Things like investing, eq - social skills, find out their special skills (say baking, cooking, etc) and at least they have a skill they can use for the future. In the event, they are not good at any, no choice, must leave something behind so he/she does not suffer.

The issue in singapore is
1. our domestic market is so small - set up biz also headache.
2. rental so high, so if set up shop, >50% go to staff and rent.
3. Companies with good pay are the MNCs and they look at paper. Todays degree was like yesteryear A level and poly.
4. We want our kids to do well to earn but this days, the majority of kids want a job they love vs wanting high pay.

The above is my own opinion. So that is why, I decided to invest in properties and when hubby and wife pick bucket, pass to kids. Other parents teach the kid to fish with fishing pole. I teach them to cath sail fish. I also give them a boat and solid fishing rod.

Laguna
18-09-12, 16:31
The above is my own opinion. So that is why, I decided to invest in properties and when hubby and wife pick bucket, pass to kids. Other parents teach the kid to fish with fishing pole. I teach them to cath sail fish. I also give them a boat and solid fishing rod.

I am not just teaching them how to fish, arm them with good fish boat and solid fishing rod. But all the tools, to fish at the best fishing spots with best fish.

I have about 40 fishing rods at home...and nvr need to buy fish....
My children have their own fishing rods at the age of 5, fishing for >8 hours since young....hahah....they are skilled in fishing I hope....in real life as well...fish for good wife / husband, investment etc

Arcachon
18-09-12, 16:48
I am not just teaching them how to fish, arm them with good fish boat and solid fishing rod. But all the tools, to fish at the best fishing spots with best fish.

My children have their own fishing rods at the age of 5, fishing for >8 hours since young....hahah....they are skilled in fishing I hope....in real life as well...fish for good wife / husband, investment etc

I teach my son to invest in good fisherman and fishing boat. He can relax and wait for the fish while the fisherman go out the sea to fish.

chiaberry
18-09-12, 17:14
You can only apply for
2. ACSI

If the kid cannot qualify for Express stream, then 2 and 3 are out. In fact, cut-off point for SJ International is relatively high (?230+) - it is more or less to catch those from the SJI feeder sch who don't make it to the "real" SJI. Similarly ACSI's COP is ?around 220+).

By now you should know around what level of ability is your kid and start making enquiries in advance (eg cut-off point for last year, procedures for applying etc).

But hopefully your kid isn't in such dire straits as to require international sch. Try as far as possible to send to local school. There are some decent sch with cut-off points which are not so high eg Nan Chiau High in Sengkang (COP used to be around 23x - better alternative than SJ International in my opinion unless you are the kind of parent who thinks IB is the way to go....)

chiaberry
18-09-12, 17:26
bring back ang mo wife never mind.. bring back mixed blood babies

Not only ang mo, they have a lot of Hispanics and Afro-Carribeans in the US. And these are clever to go for men who can provide for them.

chestnut
18-09-12, 17:27
If the kid cannot qualify for Express stream, then 2 and 3 are out. In fact, cut-off point for SJ International is relatively high (?230+) - it is more or less to catch those from the SJI feeder sch who don't make it to the "real" SJI. Similarly ACSI's COP is ?around 220+).

By now you should know around what level of ability is your kid and start making enquiries in advance (eg cut-off point for last year, procedures for applying etc).

But hopefully your kid isn't in such dire straits as to require international sch. Try as far as possible to send to local school. There are some decent sch with cut-off points which are not so high eg Nan Chiau High in Sengkang (COP used to be around 23x - better alternative than SJ International in my opinion unless you are the kind of parent who thinks IB is the way to go....)

My kids are quite big already. Like East Lover, I thought of migrating to Australia to get away from the rat race. Thank goodness did not.
When SJ International started, cut off was 200+. The kid can take test to determine if they qualify and the condition was 200 points then - If I recall.

My kids will have no problems. We are all set. Now I am sharing with them investment strategies (when the kid is ready to listen, that is when you drill and share your thoughts). When they want to be on their own, I let them be.

Honestly, dont look down on the local international school (not that you are). The networking there is damn solid. The kids there are "rich" if not how to afford >2k per month school fee. The key is networking.

Everyone will have their views. I am for sure not saying my way is right. But I chose this way. I chose to invest in properties so I can retire with passive income. I chose to let my sole agent make money so I dont need to work. I chose to retire before 50 so I can enjoy the rest of the year travelling when my able body still can (I am still working by the way). In fact, my job requires me to travel but when you work, the travel you do is never the same when you are on holiday. I chose to go and travel every year to expose my kids to different cultures. Bottomline, just do what you think is correct, the outcome whatever at least is your own decision. And finally, I will hand down the properties to my kids when both husband and wife kid the bucket. So at least they wont be in a rat race in their adulthood. And when we go, whatever happens, you believe you have taught them well - thats the best.

chestnut
18-09-12, 17:31

Bro, you fish in pond or the sea?

chiaberry
18-09-12, 17:36
Very sorry. Was not "looking down" on international sch. Just that if there is a decent alternative, you should explore all avenues. There are a few gems of local schools around with cut-off points which are not so unachievable and yet they produce above-average results. Look out for those who have the Gold Awards for sustained achievements. They produce better than expected results in the cohorts than would be predicted based on the PSLE scores.

Now that the "banding" system is dis-banded, you have to hunt around for other clues that the particular school might be a good/suitable one for your kid.

Unless the kid cannot qualify for Express and yet you don't wish to put them in 5 year O level, then you really have to try for HC International as I don't know of other options for this scenario.

chestnut
18-09-12, 17:47
Very sorry. Was not "looking down" on international sch. Just that if there is a decent alternative, you should explore all avenues. There are a few gems of local schools around with cut-off points which are not so unachievable and yet they produce above-average results. Look out for those who have the Gold Awards for sustained achievements. They produce better than expected results in the cohorts than would be predicted based on the PSLE scores.

Now that the "banding" system is dis-banded, you have to hunt around for other clues that the particular school might be a good/suitable one for your kid.

Unless the kid cannot qualify for Express and yet you don't wish to put them in 5 year O level, then you really have to try for HC International as I don't know of other options for this scenario.

Sis, no prob, my kids are big. My eldest scored 251 for PSLE and when Nan Hwa and am now in Melbourne Uni. Want to give her exposure to outside world and be independent . Haha. Second 1 scored 215, put her in HCI for 2 years and then put her in another international school. Different exposure. This one very outspoken and opinionated. Totally different from local school. Street smart.
The local system sucks!!! unless the kid is damn smart. Even the minister kids go American School because cannot cope with the system. You google and you will find out whose.

chiaberry
18-09-12, 18:03
How did they get in American School? I thought you need to have a Learning Disability (medically diagnosed) to be able to do that. I do know of professionals (doctors/lawyers) who had dyslexic kids sent to American School and apparently it is a good sch for such kids because of the teaching methods.

East Lover
18-09-12, 18:34
You can consider Hwa Chong International. I know of someone who's child did not qualify for express. Went to HCI. They have same sch holidays as the SG schools and a fair number of local students as opposed to UWC which has a lot more foreigners.

Don't be too hasty to shove your kid overseas for study. Teen years for boys are vulnerable years - their hormones are unstable. It will be a culture shock for them. Not all can adapt so easily. And when they finish their studies, if they want to return to SG, they have lost their contacts/networking here. Again have to re-adapt back to SG environment.
Thanks! I'm hestitating now... i like the network part.

UWC is about S$40K per year, but much nearer to my place. 2011 IB result have 8 over 200 scared 45, and about 1/3 are above 40.... Can local enroll?

East Lover
18-09-12, 18:36
Thanks a lot for the detailed info! Appreciated!

But only the following 3?

Heard a lot of PRC students in Hwa Chong International... good or not?? 会不会坏影响,浮夸子弟?

You can only apply for
2. ACSI

Be prepared to folk out >2k per month on school fee.
Out of the 3, SJ international is the best in my opinion.

I feel for you. The school system in singapore does not cater to slow/late learners. So sad, but this is how our system work.

Many people say, why plan for the kid, let the kid slog it out. I beg to differ. Every kid is different. If the kid cannot study, I think our duty is to teach them life skills. Things like investing, eq - social skills, find out their special skills (say baking, cooking, etc) and at least they have a skill they can use for the future. In the event, they are not good at any, no choice, must leave something behind so he/she does not suffer.

The issue in singapore is
1. our domestic market is so small - set up biz also headache.
2. rental so high, so if set up shop, >50% go to staff and rent.
3. Companies with good pay are the MNCs and they look at paper. Todays degree was like yesteryear A level and poly.
4. We want our kids to do well to earn but this days, the majority of kids want a job they love vs wanting high pay.

buttercarp
18-09-12, 18:40
Hi East Lover, do bear in mind these international schools go the IB way.

IB diploma is very language and humanities oriented.
So if your child is not inclined in that direction, it may not be wise to enrol in those schools.

buttercarp
18-09-12, 18:47

Wow... your whole family knows how to fish!
Now you sound like a man.
Last time my father got sampan park at East Coast beach.
We had fresh prawns and crabs frequently until we got scared to eat them.
Sometimes he went deep sea fishing and caught huge fish too.

I'd rather go to the wet market and buy the fish.
Less troublesome......

chestnut
18-09-12, 19:09
Thanks a lot for the detailed info! Appreciated!

But only the following 3?

Heard a lot of PRC students in Hwa Chong International... good or not?? 会不会坏影响,浮夸子弟?

My daughter was first intake. Then a lot of problems. Syllables was unstable and teachers kept coming and going. So took her out. Don't know about now. I heard sji was better. My honest advise. The minute u go such schools, be prepared to send overseas for degree. So must budget about 300k. Estimate about 100k per year.

My heart goes out to you. I went thru what you did and totally understand what u are going thru. Everyday, I see my daughter struggling, I feel so sad for her.

Now she is so happy and I am also happy.

To each his/her own. I decide my own destiny.

All the best in your decision :)

East Lover
18-09-12, 22:32
Hi East Lover, do bear in mind these international schools go the IB way.

IB diploma is very language and humanities oriented.
So if your child is not inclined in that direction, it may not be wise to enrol in those schools.
My son can write very well. He started to read Harry Porter since P2, and kept on reading for 7-8 times, his creative writing always gained good marks in school and learning lab. But his maths concept is not strong, can't resolve the solution fast once changed a bit. So I guess international school is more suitable to him? I don't know.... Still think think think... Once we choose international school, it will be very hard to go back to main stream system

East Lover
18-09-12, 22:53
My daughter was first intake. Then a lot of problems. Syllables was unstable and teachers kept coming and going. So took her out. Don't know about now. I heard sji was better. My honest advise. The minute u go such schools, be prepared to send overseas for degree. So must budget about 300k. Estimate about 100k per year.

My heart goes out to you. I went thru what you did and totally understand what u are going thru. Everyday, I see my daughter struggling, I feel so sad for her.

Now she is so happy and I am also happy.

To each his/her own. I decide my own destiny.

All the best in your decision :)
Thanks for ur support!

My son has a lot of homework from school everyday, and he is very weak in time managment, so he usually goes to bed around 11!

We sent him to Adam Khoo I'm gifted camp, and 10 weeks follow up workshop, but momentum only lasted a little bit after that...L

I want to coach him but he just has no time to give me, so every night i have to standby outside the study room, just in case he needs my help.
We sent him to learning lab for english and maths, so we only have time to do tution work on saturday. Every thursday night, Saturday and Sunday are fully booked. I feel he is burn out, so are we...

I can't imagine that we have to struggle for another 6 years.To my boy, to ourselves, 都是一种煎熬。

chestnut
18-09-12, 23:23
Thanks for ur support!

My son has a lot of homework from school everyday, and he is very weak in time managment, so he usually goes to bed around 11!

We sent him to Adam Khoo I'm gifted camp, and 10 weeks follow up workshop, but momentum only lasted a little bit after that...L

I want to coach him but he just has no time to give me, so every night i have to standby outside the study room, just in case he needs my help.
We sent him to learning lab for english and maths, so we only have time to do tution work on saturday. Every thursday night, Saturday and Sunday are fully booked. I feel he is burn out, so are we...

I can't imagine that we have to struggle for another 6 years.To my boy, to ourselves, 都是一种煎熬。

Wa lao, it's like my life flashing back... I sent our kids to earnest wong (teacher of Adam Khoo). We sent them to learning lab. I share w you, learning lab for math is a waste of time. The amount of homework and the big numbers they give is ridiculous. For Maths, the key is past year exam papers. Their English quite good.
Now for the good news, once in secondary school, everything will get better.
And lastly, don't get stressed. Enjoy the journey. Candidly, it seems you can afford overseas degree for your kid. So no prob. :)

East Lover
19-09-12, 09:29
Wa lao, it's like my life flashing back... I sent our kids to earnest wong (teacher of Adam Khoo). We sent them to learning lab. I share w you, learning lab for math is a waste of time. The amount of homework and the big numbers they give is ridiculous. For Maths, the key is past year exam papers. Their English quite good.
Now for the good news, once in secondary school, everything will get better.
And lastly, don't get stressed. Enjoy the journey. Candidly, it seems you can afford overseas degree for your kid. So no prob. :)
yes, we are prepared to send him to US for degree. :ashamed1:

Really? no wonder he likes english class but not maths. nowadays I'm the one went to learning lab every sunday, to collect paper & answer and guided him to do at home :mad: - what to do? already struggled so long and paid so much :banghead: I just started to send him back last Sunday since it's last 2 classes...

Till now only 1 week left, any tips can share for the last min catch up? walk through with him for the mistakes he did in the past year papers, and typical TLL questions?

I will bring him to MBS Harry Porter Exhebition on this Sunday. OK right? give him a bit rest before exam lah. but we brought him to garden by the bay last weekend also... :ashamed1: correct strategy?

phantom_opera
19-09-12, 09:35
Normally if you are good in language then you are weaker in Maths

Unfortunately PSLE expect u to be good at both

I don't understand is why stressed if you are prepared to send your kid overseas?

hopeful
19-09-12, 09:47
east lover, what is the objective for your kid?
u seems to be unclear.
1) u want ur kid to be happy?
2) u want ur kid to have good degree from good school?
3) or u just want ur kid to have a degree?

btw, are u and ur spouse self-employed or salaried workers?

chestnut
19-09-12, 09:49
yes, we are prepared to send him to US for degree. :ashamed1:

Really? no wonder he likes english class but not maths. nowadays I'm the one went to learning lab every sunday, to collect paper & answer and guided him to do at home :mad: - what to do? already struggled so long and paid so much :banghead: I just started to send him back last Sunday since it's last 2 classes...

Till now only 1 week left, any tips can share for the last min catch up? walk through with him for the mistakes he did in the past year papers, and typical TLL questions?

I will bring him to MBS Harry Porter Exhebition on this Sunday. OK right? give him a bit rest before exam lah. but we brought him to garden by the bay last weekend also... :ashamed1: correct strategy?

Ok, here's the tip.

1. Never show you are kan cheong.
2. 2 to 3 days before exam, take him out to unwind. Do something he likes...
3. Tell him to do his best. And really believe he can do it. Kids have sixth sense and will know if you lying.
4. When he come back from exam, if he didn't do well, don't say things like - why so careless, you so stupid, etc... Must give positive reinforcement during this time.

Enjoy the ride and he will also enjoy it with you, when u look relax, he will also be relax. This is not do or die situation. This is just a milestone of many along the way. I have been thru this. All my kids are different. So I do understand. Remember, if exam around the corner, now is time to relax. And give him positive reinforcement. All the best

East Lover
19-09-12, 10:07
Normally if you are good in language then you are weaker in Maths

Unfortunately PSLE expect u to be good at both

I don't understand is why stressed if you are prepared to send your kid overseas?
I worry my boy will lose his confidence... His result started to drop on P6, thus he didn't do well in preliminary exam. My heart was broken when he told me he is a failure...:beats-me-man:

We told him PSLE is not a big deal, result doesn't matter, as long as he did the best... but you know lah...

I really hate to struggle like this, as a parent, we just don't know how to help. I don't know which part we did wrongly... too much tuition??

He is such a clever boy, always has his own sharp opion, but he has low self-esteem now... that's why i'm thinking of escaping away.

East Lover
19-09-12, 10:09
east lover, what is the objective for your kid?
u seems to be unclear.
1) u want ur kid to be happy?
2) u want ur kid to have good degree from good school?
3) or u just want ur kid to have a degree?

btw, are u and ur spouse self-employed or salaried workers?
I want him to become a 有用之才,and a happy healthy person.

East Lover
19-09-12, 10:13
Ok, here's the tip.

1. Never show you are kan cheong.
2. 2 to 3 days before exam, take him out to unwind. Do something he likes...
3. Tell him to do his best. And really believe he can do it. Kids have sixth sense and will know if you lying.
4. When he come back from exam, if he didn't do well, don't say things like - why so careless, you so stupid, etc... Must give positive reinforcement during this time.

Enjoy the ride and he will also enjoy it with you, when u look relax, he will also be relax. This is not do or die situation. This is just a milestone of many along the way. I have been thru this. All my kids are different. So I do understand. Remember, if exam around the corner, now is time to relax. And give him positive reinforcement. All the best
Thank you! So the last-min polish will end this Sunday....time to relax. first paper exam will start on next Thursday.

In fact, we have already arranged 3-weeks US trip week after PSLE... enough of struggling!

chestnut
19-09-12, 10:18
Thank you! So the last-min polish will end this Sunday....time to relax. first paper exam will start on next Thursday.

In fact, we have already arranged 3-weeks US trip week after PSLE... enough of struggling!

Thats the spirit. Take it easy. Life is not only academic. Remember, don't pressure anymore. Just encourage.

hopeful
19-09-12, 10:36
I want him to become a 有用之才,and a happy healthy person.
ok, so how does your current approach help him become 有用之才 (whatever that means) and a happy healthy person.

i always use malay child and chinese child as comparison.
malay child play all day long, stress free.
chinese child study all day long, stress-full. see malay child play all day long, add more stress.

20 years down the road, chinese adult supervise malay adult, scold the malay adult for being stupid and careless.
malay family furthest overseas trip is to Malaysia.
chinese family overseas trip is to USA (3 week somemore, in your case :) )

PN
19-09-12, 10:45
I worry my boy will lose his confidence... His result started to drop on P6, thus he didn't do well in preliminary exam. My heart was broken when he told me he is a failure...:beats-me-man:

We told him PSLE is not a big deal, result doesn't matter, as long as he did the best... but you know lah...

I really hate to struggle like this, as a parent, we just don't know how to help. I don't know which part we did wrongly... too much tuition??

He is such a clever boy, always has his own sharp opion, but he has low self-esteem now... that's why i'm thinking of escaping away.
I believe you kid is in a good school (sorry too lazy to read back to check) or at least in a good class. So there are many good students in the same class.
A clever student can become discourage especially when no matter how he try, his friends always score higher & better than him. So end up he started to lose confidence in himself & his results become poorer & poorer.

Maybe you should find out more about his learning experience in class by having a casual chat with him.

Just my guess.

phantom_opera
19-09-12, 10:49
PSLE is

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/imagecache/listing-page-large/scream199.jpg

East Lover
19-09-12, 10:59
I believe you kid is in a good school (sorry too lazy to read back to check) or at least in a good class. So there are many good students in the same class.
A clever student can become discourage especially when no matter how he try, his friends always score higher & better than him. So end up he started to lose confidence in himself & his results become poorer & poorer.

Maybe you should find out more about his learning experience in class by having a casual chat with him.

Just my guess.
Yes he is in a best class of an ordinary neighbour school. Dropped from top 10 to 30+ in school in this Prelim....

Now i looked back, maybe we spent too much (time, effort, $$$) on the tuitions, so he lost interest in class, and being naughty in class, teachers labelled him as a very-smart-but-under-performance child, so he lost the interest in school at all... and too much tuition taken up too much engergy and time, so he is burnout...

East Lover
19-09-12, 11:02
ok, so how does your current approach help him become 有用之才 (whatever that means) and a happy healthy person.

i always use malay child and chinese child as comparison.
malay child play all day long, stress free.
chinese child study all day long, stress-full. see malay child play all day long, add more stress.

20 years down the road, chinese adult supervise malay adult, scold the malay adult for being stupid and careless.
malay family furthest overseas trip is to Malaysia.
chinese family overseas trip is to USA (3 week somemore, in your case :) )
in short - 先苦后甜。

Internationl school doesn't mean not easy life, but differnt way of teaching I guess?? UWC last year 1/3 of students' IB results scored more than 40, NUS threshold is only 38.

PN
19-09-12, 11:17
Yes he is in a best class of an ordinary neighbour school. Dropped from top 10 to 30+ in school in this Prelim....

Now i looked back, maybe we spent too much (time, effort, $$$) on the tuitions, so he lost interest in class, and being naughty in class, teachers labelled him as a very-smart-but-under-performance child, so he lost the interest in school at all... and too much tuition taken up too much engergy and time, so he is burnout...

Too late to make changes now but can still adjust when he goes to Sec School.
Let him have a balance between study and play. I'm sure he will excel eventually.

That's also the reason why some Soccer coaches don't want the young players to go in the limelight too fast & play too many senior games. Can get burn out very quickly & shorten his career.

chiaberry
19-09-12, 11:17

I think you may be at least partially right here. A lot of time/energy is spent in going to and fro from tuition. For my boys, they only have Chinese tuition (because I never did the Mother tongue in sch due to being overseas). The rest I print Testpapers for them from the website and let them do and then go through their mistakes with them. The school already pushing them hard, I think the mother cannot push too hard to add to the stress on the child. I have 2 down for PSLE only 1 left to go (in 2 years time).

Unfortunately, if the kid is weak in Maths, that is somewhat of a disadvantage. There is a LOT of Maths in Sec sch/JC, even in IB.

East Lover
19-09-12, 11:31
I think you may be at least partially right here. A lot of time/energy is spent in going to and fro from tuition. For my boys, they only have Chinese tuition (because I never did the Mother tongue in sch due to being overseas). The rest I print Testpapers for them from the website and let them do and then go through their mistakes with them. The school already pushing them hard, I think the mother cannot push too hard to add to the stress on the child. I have 2 down for PSLE only 1 left to go (in 2 years time).

Unfortunately, if the kid is weak in Maths, that is somewhat of a disadvantage. There is a LOT of Maths in Sec sch/JC, even in IB.
believe or not, I was very strong in maths, easily full mark from primary school to high school, never expect my son has problem in maths :banghead: i got peer presure from my ex-classmates and colleagues as well :ashamed1:

buttercarp
19-09-12, 11:57
My son can write very well. He started to read Harry Porter since P2, and kept on reading for 7-8 times, his creative writing always gained good marks in school and learning lab. But his maths concept is not strong, can't resolve the solution fast once changed a bit. So I guess international school is more suitable to him? I don't know.... Still think think think... Once we choose international school, it will be very hard to go back to main stream system

My son on the otherhand excel in math and science.
But his languages and humanities really sucks big time and pull him all the way down.
So no hope of entering JC cos need to include at least one humanities and a language in the score.
So now hoping can get into the couse he wants in the poly.
Then after that I sending him to Australia to pursue his tertiary education.

East Lover
19-09-12, 14:04
My son on the otherhand excel in math and science.
But his languages and humanities really sucks big time and pull him all the way down.
So no hope of entering JC cos need to include at least one humanities and a language in the score.
So now hoping can get into the couse he wants in the poly.
Then after that I sending him to Australia to pursue his tertiary education.
I guess kids who are strong in maths and science will be easier to cope comparing with otherhand? all the best to you and your son too! :)