PDA

View Full Version : It may not pay to invest in shoebox units

reporter2
08-09-12, 16:58
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/money/story/it-may-not-pay-invest-shoebox-units-20120908

It may not pay to invest in shoebox units

Rental yields may drop in long run, few resale transactions: Report

Published on Sep 08, 2012

By Esther Teo Property Reporter

A RECENT report has identified hot spots across Singapore for "shoebox" homes but has questioned the viability of these tiny homes as investments.

Even before the Government's move this week to restrict the ballooning number of shoebox units outside the central area, market experts were raising a red flag.

These homes of less than 50 sq m used to be mainly in the central areas, but many small studio apartments are now springing up on the outskirts.

An analysis by Maybank Kim Eng found that the highest number of new shoebox apartments has been sold in Bales-tier, MacPherson and Geylang. Since 2005, 2,401 tiny homes have found buyers in these areas.

This is followed by the city and south-west areas with 1,371 units, and the East Coast area with 1,359 units changing hands.

The stock of completed shoebox units is expected to reach 11,000 units by the end of 2015, with 3,800 of these in suburban areas, the Urban Redevelopment Authority said.

Experts note that while shoebox units with affordable price tags, typically less than $1 million, are usually bought for investment, those in suburban areas might not pull in rental yields similar to centrally located units'.

The Maybank Kim Eng report noted that rental yields in central areas may not be representative of potential yields in suburban areas.

"We understand why central region units have higher price tags with rental yields slightly exceeding those of larger-sized apartments at around 5 per cent due to their prime locations.

"However, we are questioning the viability of suburban shoebox units that developers are rushing to price at $1,500 to 2,000 per sq ft (psf)," the report said.

The lack of transactions of completed units in the resale market could also suggest a certain level of difficulty in realising capital gains on shoebox units, it added.

For instance, there have only been about 550 resale transactions since 2005 to May this year, the report noted.

"As the supply of completed units surges by 2015, the viability of the shoebox unit market in the suburbs will be seriously put to the test," it said.

However, data from the Singapore Real Estate Exchange (SRX) found that rental yields for shoebox homes in suburban areas were 4.77 per cent in the second quarter of the year.

This is comparable to the yields of 4.75 per cent for shoebox units in the city centre and 4.86 per cent for similar units in the city fringe regions.

But experts say these yields might not hold in the long run as a slew of new suburban shoebox units get built.

The 3,800 suburban shoebox units by 2015 easily tops the 2,400 completed units already in suburban projects like Thomson V One and Kovan Grandeur and city centre projects like Vida as at the end of last year.

Of the 11,000 shoebox units, 2,200 units will be in the city centre and 5,000 units are set for the city fringe region.

HSR Property Group special adviser Donald Han said that as the completions gain momentum, yields are likely to be compressed across the board but suburban shoebox units far from MRT stations and amenities are likely to be the most vulnerable.

Suburban areas will also see tens of thousands of private homes completed in the coming years and shoebox units will face stiff competition for tenants, he said. He expects rents for central shoebox units to fall by about 1 to 2 per cent in 2014 while those in suburban areas will see larger drops of 6 to 7 per cent.

Mr Nicholas Mak, head of research for SLP International, said the small number of suburban shoebox completions have propped up yields in the short term. "In the long term, however, shoebox yields should fall in line with residential yields within the same area," he added.

Teacher Isabel Khoo, 32, who bought a 560 sq ft unit in Yio Chu Kang in 2009, said she purchased the unit because it was close to her parents' home and had a freehold lease.

"It was within my budget, and since it is for my own stay, I don't really worry about prices. I'm happy with the purchase," she added.

The Government unveiled its new policy on Tuesday to discourage the fast-rising number of tiny shoebox homes being built outside the central city area.

It is placing a cap on the number of homes that can be built at each private non-landed development outside this area. The central area is unaffected.

[email protected]

leesg123
08-09-12, 17:53
Indeed, location is the key. Safe bets are those city area places like River Valley, Nathan Road, Shanghai Road, Stevens road, Race Course road area etc. to expect places like kovan, bedok, pasir ris shoebox to yield 5% rental is very challenging.

minority
08-09-12, 21:58
Indeed, location is the key. Safe bets are those city area places like River Valley, Nathan Road, Shanghai Road, Stevens road, Race Course road area etc. to expect places like kovan, bedok, pasir ris shoebox to yield 5% rental is very challenging.

well some folk think they there are singles who want. Till will tell how many pple will suffer.

azeoprop
08-09-12, 22:43
Will bigger sized 1 bedders be affected? :beats-me-man:

danntbt
09-09-12, 06:42
...since when have these analysts been right anyway?

radha08
09-09-12, 09:28
OMG:eek:...rents are going to fall by 1 to 2 percent...OMG:eek:...sell...run...migrate...:doh:

radha08
09-09-12, 09:29
...since when have these analysts been right anyway?
anal-lists

danntbt
09-09-12, 09:49
anal-lists
hahaha, I spelled that way too, but I think spell check on machine changed it....

carbuncle
09-09-12, 09:54
yawn.z......

Super
09-09-12, 11:50
My 2 cents views.

That's what they want you to think. Remember, our media is state controlled.

danntbt
09-09-12, 17:48
My 2 cents views.

That's what they want you to think. Remember, our media is state controlled.
....these 'analysts' are very good at dictation......

ahchee
13-03-13, 09:25
I dun see any problem buying shoebox for own stay especially for singles or dink couples coz easy to maintain. What about for invest? Can anyone please share their experience whether good or bad in renting out or selling their SB?

thomastansb
13-03-13, 13:35
Own stay ok.

As for renting out, I have friends who swear by MM. Personally, I don't like MM.

The rental is about 75% of a normal studio. If a normal sized studio can rent out 3k, MM size will be around 2.3k.

But my friends bought it really cheap. Maybe 60% of a normal studio. So yield is like 8 to 9%. I got one friend who bought Alexis 330 sq ft at 400k+ only. Seriously, it is small like f*ck. No joke, I went inside and feel like an ant.

Initially, he thought can only fetch 2.2 to 2.3k and considered on a high side. Now, he is happily renting out at 3.1k. So MM is still rent-able if it is near MRT. Those without MRT, have to settle on the low side of 2k. Looks like that is the market rate. So don't overpay for those MM without MRT and think that it can fetch 3k.

I dun see any problem buying shoebox for own stay especially for singles or dink couples coz easy to maintain. What about for invest? Can anyone please share their experience whether good or bad in renting out or selling their SB?

ahchee
13-03-13, 23:00
Own stay ok.

As for renting out, I have friends who swear by MM. Personally, I don't like MM.

The rental is about 75% of a normal studio. If a normal sized studio can rent out 3k, MM size will be around 2.3k.

But my friends bought it really cheap. Maybe 60% of a normal studio. So yield is like 8 to 9%. I got one friend who bought Alexis 330 sq ft at 400k+ only. Seriously, it is small like f*ck. No joke, I went inside and feel like an ant.

Initially, he thought can only fetch 2.2 to 2.3k and considered on a high side. Now, he is happily renting out at 3.1k. So MM is still rent-able if it is near MRT. Those without MRT, have to settle on the low side of 2k. Looks like that is the market rate. So don't overpay for those MM without MRT and think that it can fetch 3k.
Wah, your friend must have gotten special discount. But the size is really unimaginably small! Never mind, it can still fetch good rent.
Now every launch claims to be market rate.

thomastansb
14-03-13, 16:02
I went to a MM launch at D15 before. Told me can rent out at 3.5k conservatively. 7-8% yield. My ass. Now renting out around 2.4k only at best.

Wah, your friend must have gotten special discount. But the size is really unimaginably small! Never mind, it can still fetch good rent.
Now every launch claims to be market rate.

ahchee
14-03-13, 16:16
I went to a MM launch at D15 before. Told me can rent out at 3.5k conservatively. 7-8% yield. My ass. Now renting out around 2.4k only at best.
Ya 2BR MM may be. 1BR MM OCR hardly hit 3k when I look around. Some even fully furnished.

minority
14-03-13, 16:29

I think i know which 1. the one on upper east ;)

thomastansb
14-03-13, 16:31
Haha. Near some base station. But no MRT MM rental still ok. For those who bought earlier. If you buy 700k, you will repent.

I think i know which 1. the one on upper east ;)

Regulators
14-03-13, 19:43
at 700k n rental of $2400, that is above 4% yield, what is there to repent?
Haha. Near some base station. But no MRT MM rental still ok. For those who bought earlier. If you buy 700k, you will repent.

thomastansb
14-03-13, 20:22
You can get much better yield with 700k+ at suburban.

at 700k n rental of $2400, that is above 4% yield, what is there to repent?

leesg123
14-03-13, 22:44
You can get much better yield with 700k+ at suburban.
Freehold or 99LH?

The one at upp east coast is considered suburban liao what.

dare2
14-03-13, 23:36
...ironically the govt is now building shoebox HDBs in out-lying area for singles....

thomastansb
15-03-13, 00:34
Ya. I compare sub urban with sub urban.

I take Optima for eg: 800k rent out 3.2k. Higher yield than 2.4k @ 700k.

Both suburban but one is bigger sq ft and yet, higher yield.

Freehold or 99LH?

The one at upp east coast is considered suburban liao what.

Regulators
15-03-13, 08:42
the yield depends very much on when you buy. anything above 4% these days is considered quite decent.
Ya. I compare sub urban with sub urban.

I take Optima for eg: 800k rent out 3.2k. Higher yield than 2.4k @ 700k.

Both suburban but one is bigger sq ft and yet, higher yield.

mermaid
15-03-13, 15:39
...ironically the govt is now building shoebox HDBs in out-lying area for singles....

precisely! :doh: It is such an irony that on one hand, HDB discourages citizens to invest in super small shoebox units as they are too small for living, but intends to cater such flats to singles.

Does being single now means that they will be single forever? By restricting singles to only a 2 rooms flat, it will only hinder them from marriage as both parties need to sell off both 2 room flats and re-apply a larger flat. By the time their bigger flat arrives, they are too old to start a family. :tsk-tsk:

By asking singles to buy a 2 room flat with only 1 bedroom, is the government trying to tell singles that “you should live alone?” :rolleyes:

Cupcakes
15-03-13, 16:44
precisely! :doh: It is such an irony that on one hand, HDB discourages citizens to invest in super small shoebox units as they are too small for living, but intends to cater such flats to singles.

Does being single now means that they will be single forever? By restricting singles to only a 2 rooms flat, it will only hinder them from marriage as both parties need to sell off both 2 room flats and re-apply a larger flat. By the time their bigger flat arrives, they are too old to start a family. :tsk-tsk:

By asking singles to buy a 2 room flat with only 1 bedroom, is the government trying to tell singles that “you should live alone?” :rolleyes:
Govt should ignore all voices. Implement what also wrong. :doh:

thomastansb
15-03-13, 16:57
But this is life. Some policies will benefit some, will not benefit some. Where got policies 100% one? Even you give GST rebate $500, also got people complain.

I think having 2 bedroom is a good move. At least singles have a choice now. Something which they don't have previously. When you commit to a flat, you need to wait around 3 years + 5 years MOP. By then you will be 35 + 3 + 5 = 43 years old liao. Statistically, there aren't a lot of men starting a family at 43 years old. So I think the Government is right.

If you choose to buy 2 bedroom, then too bad. Same for all decisions in life. Always got trade offs. The Government can't be wiping your ass after you shit for you also right?

phantom_opera
15-03-13, 17:08
HDB is the most value for money housing now in 1st tier Asian cities yet people complain this complain that

Go to stay in HK cages then u know :rolleyes:

Even big size resale HDB is of good value to people in Beijing/Shanghai (99LH vs 70LH, much higher rental yield, much lower mortgage rate)

mcmlxxvi
15-03-13, 17:14
is there any statistics on 2rm resale prices in mkt yet?

mcmlxxvi
15-03-13, 17:22
Imagine bought at 50k nia.

2rm hdb oso can huaaaaaaat arrr

phantom_opera
15-03-13, 17:32
Imagine bought at 50k nia.

2rm hdb oso can huaaaaaaat arrr

now cannot be 50k lah, more like 120-150k?

the MBR layout is a bit too small

http://esales.hdb.gov.sg/hdbvsf/eaap006p.nsf/images/hf2rooms/$file/layout.jpg

condolisa
15-03-13, 17:49
MBR will be roomier with single bed :D

mcmlxxvi
15-03-13, 17:50
now cannot be 50k lah, more like 120-150k?

the MBR layout is a bit too small

http://esales.hdb.gov.sg/hdbvsf/eaap006p.nsf/images/hf2rooms/$file/layout.jpg

Punggol after all grants only 50k nia. Check the sale of balance flats.

phantom_opera
15-03-13, 18:07

don't even need to borrow, just pay cash, ROI is like 5x if can sell at 250k??

many singles > 35 SPRs now will flood ICA to apply for SCs

jwong71
15-03-13, 20:38

some of the flats in pasir ris, punggol and tampines are near to mrt.

huat liao lolx..!!

mcmlxxvi
15-03-13, 20:44
jwong yepps confirm chop chop sign

jwong71
15-03-13, 20:48
jwong yepps confirm chop chop sign

whahahahaha.. my income bo bao get all the grants. booohooohooo

pinnacle got s1 and s2 hdb sold... what is s1, and s2..??

studio..??

Wynyard
16-03-13, 13:20
MBR will be roomier with single bed :D
Agreed. I have been to the showroom in HDB Hub, fitting in a double bed will make the room very cramp.

My bedroom can fit in a king size bed with comfortable space left, but I bought a super single bed only. To me, it is a waste of space to sleep on double bed :p

dmonddd
17-03-13, 11:49
developers know buyers sweet spots

anything less than 1 mil, all jump in hahahahaha

dmonddd
17-03-13, 11:51
who will be competing with Mickey mouse projects?

hotels
if build plenty of clean hotels like 81
no demand for MM projects

hotel somemore got services

kekekeke

teddybear
17-03-13, 12:19
I thought the 2room HDB flats are meant for the poorer income singles?

Those high income singles will not even be eligible to buy and they have private to buy, what is the problem?

May be the govt will allow single to upgrade to larger unit if they get married? Better this way since "singlehood" is never encouraged?! :beats-me-man:

dare2
17-03-13, 14:36

Those high income singles will not even be eligible to buy and they have private to buy, what is the problem?

May be the govt will allow single to upgrade to larger unit if they get married? Better this way since "singlehood" is never encouraged?! :beats-me-man:

...the problem is govt is restricting the building of these small flats in PC....and what was their rationale for that again?

teddybear
17-03-13, 15:22
To make sure that HDB flats are the cheapest form of housing available (otherwise HDB failed in their job)? :beats-me-man:

...the problem is govt is restricting the building of these small flats in PC....and what was their rationale for that again?

DC33_2008
17-03-13, 16:03
It is the high income singles whi wnt a cut of the pie after contributing so much tax each year.