PDA

View Full Version : Would we ever stop the rat race?

phantom_opera
02-09-12, 16:41
http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/020912skybox_01.jpg
http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/020912skybox_04.jpg

PAP may have good intention many years ago when PM last time shouted "Teach Less, Learn More" ... but ended the implementation was "Teacher prepared more, teach less, parents do more, tuition more"

Now PAP again may have good intention to raise preschool standard, however, I am quite sure it will end up bringing rat race again to preschools

Why? The logic is very simple, brutality and unforgiving culture is the one to blame, why is it brutal and unforgiving? MM Lee said it many times, the logic goes like this:

1. Singapore is a small island surrounded by Muslim neighbors
2. Singapore lacks natural resources
3. Singapore cannot afford to be complacent, once complacency develops, Singapore will quickly disappear
4. Therefore, the education system #1 objective is to discourage complacency, encourage hard work, discipline, reward the academically smart children, put pressure on low achievers as early as possible
5. To bring up the next generation of leaders, standard of PSLE must be high, high enough to recognize the next generation of elites, put them into RI, Hwa Chong etc
6. We are competing against Shanghai, Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo for talents ...

Samsara ... low fertility rate will continue, mark my words

:p

Arcachon
02-09-12, 17:10
Pre-school already too late to teach should start when they are baby.

http://literacynet.org/parents/agesandstages.html

Lovelle
02-09-12, 17:21
should teach piano when they are in the womb...

radha08
02-09-12, 17:40
should teach piano when they are in the womb...

like this guy...:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LmMEaE4ENw&feature=fvwrel

Komo
02-09-12, 18:27
everything is about me. everything is about win (regardless how) and win in everything anything (even if it means other people are endangered, eg main road forced to give way to slip road) .... the rat race never stop unless or until everyone perished :D

Komo
02-09-12, 18:42
even Taiwan is better cultured than what's happening here which is only getting worse by the day:(

phantom_opera
02-09-12, 19:05
It is the year 2020, the Singapore government is forced to give in to middle class Singaporean voters' demand for meritocracy when it comes to admission to top preschools run by the government known as the "The Little Elites" among the parents.

To achieve 100% meritocracy, the government scholars suggest having an examination known as KPE (Kiasu Parents Exam) for all parents wanting to enroll their little precious to the "The Little Elites". Parents will be assessed from various angles including EQ, IQ, kiasu scores, loyalty to nation, Ah Beng-ness, Ah Lian-ness to ensure the rich will not have unfair advantages over the poor. A balloting system is then introduced if the number of places > # of parents passing the exams. Parents often collapse or cry out loudly on the balloting spot due to sheer happiness or sadness.

phantom_opera
02-09-12, 19:14
The rat race is not just in school : :banghead:

A buyer in his 60s, who wanted to be known as Dr Ng, bought two 624 sq ft units at the project for his children. He said the building's design and the developer's reputation were among his key considerations.

'Price is also equally important for me and I feel I got a good deal. I don't foresee developers lowering prices too much and if I wait, I run the risk that the unit I have my eye on will be snapped up.'

Arcachon
02-09-12, 19:51

A buyer in his 60s, who wanted to be known as Dr Ng, bought two 624 sq ft units at the project for his children. He said the building's design and the developer's reputation were among his key considerations.

'Price is also equally important for me and I feel I got a good deal. I don't foresee developers lowering prices too much and if I wait, I run the risk that the unit I have my eye on will be snapped up.'

I brought Terrasse for my son now 18 years old when I was 47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMMrcCiedl0&feature=related

howgozit
02-09-12, 21:03
people with such means are not in the rat race...

btw... uhm.. what's wrong with it?

howgozit
02-09-12, 21:18
Can you give some examples of brutality and unforgiving behaviour?

Thank you.

PAP may have good intention many years ago when PM last time shouted "Teach Less, Learn More" ... but ended the implementation was "Teacher prepared more, teach less, parents do more, tuition more"

Now PAP again may have good intention to raise preschool standard, however, I am quite sure it will end up bringing rat race again to preschools

Why? The logic is very simple, brutality and unforgiving culture is the one to blame, why is it brutal and unforgiving? MM Lee said it many times, the logic goes like this:

1. Singapore is a small island surrounded by Muslim neighbors
2. Singapore lacks natural resources
3. Singapore cannot afford to be complacent, once complacency develops, Singapore will quickly disappear
4. Therefore, the education system #1 objective is to discourage complacency, encourage hard work, discipline, reward the academically smart children, put pressure on low achievers as early as possible
5. To bring up the next generation of leaders, standard of PSLE must be high, high enough to recognize the next generation of elites, put them into RI, Hwa Chong etc
6. We are competing against Shanghai, Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo for talents ...

Samsara ... low fertility rate will continue, mark my words

Komo
02-09-12, 21:45
I brought Terrasse for my son now 18 years old when I was 47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMMrcCiedl0&feature=related
I guess your son can retire already and be exempted from the race:D :D

Arcachon
03-09-12, 00:31
I guess your son can retire already and be exempted from the race:D :D

I prefer to teach him how to fish rather than how to eat the fish.

Allthepies
03-09-12, 08:45
i guess sometimes u can't blame the system or government.

is it becos of the parents' enormous love for their children that led them to this "competitive" and "kaisu" state?

ha once the parents tasted the "wonder" of education, they want their children to have the same level of opportunity or more...

DC33_2008
03-09-12, 17:14
Best solution is to own the sea with continuous of fishes of all types and sizes.
I prefer to teach him how to fish rather than how to eat the fish.

carbuncle
03-09-12, 18:22
even better let the fishes mate and generate more fishes

ysyap
03-09-12, 19:04
I prefer to teach him how to fish rather than how to eat the fish.On a curious note, how by buying a unit for your son, is teaching him how to fish? Do enlighen coz I'm also thinking should I buy a unit now so that next time can give to my kid? :rolleyes:

Komo
03-09-12, 21:03
rather let my kids learn the hard way for the first dollar:D
the most important and memorable lesson is that first dollar...just like your first love:rolleyes:

DC33_2008
03-09-12, 21:09
It is better to leave property especially FH, near mrt and in CCR to your kids than to leave behind $ to them. As said before, you can have your name in the title deeds and they will remember you. That is why property is bought kept and not to be sold. You can give them as gift when you think time is right . You can even ask the lawyer to include rules like they cannot sell, etc. resQUOTE=ysyap]On a curious note, how by buying a unit for your son, is teaching him how to fish? Do enlighen coz I'm also thinking should I buy a unit now so that next time can give to my kid? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]