PDA

View Full Version : Carrefour to close outlets in Singapore by year end

buttercarp
28-08-12, 14:08
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/SoShiok/Story/A1Story20120828-368093.html

AsiaOne
Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012
Hypermarket chain Carrefour announced on Tuesday that it will be shutting all of its outlets here in Singapore before the end of the year.

The global retailer has two outlets here: Plaza Singapura and Suntec City Mall.

A spokesman said in a statement that the decision was made because expansion and growth prospects of the company do not allow it to reach a leadership position in the medium and long term.

The French company opened its first store in Singapore in 1997. In 2010, it announced that it would leave Malaysian, Singaporean and Thai markets.

It sold its operations in Thailand, where it had 42 stores, including 34 hpyermarkets, to Thai chain Big C for $1.36 billion.

Carrefour's main competitors in Singapore are supermarket chain NTUC FairPrice and the Dairy Farm Group of supermarkets, which includes Cold Storage.

The closure will affect more than 380 employees, reported The Straits Times. The spokesman said that it intends to work with other retailers to find jobs for its staff.

[email protected]

yowetan
28-08-12, 14:24
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/SoShiok/Story/A1Story20120828-368093.html

AsiaOne
Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012
Hypermarket chain Carrefour announced on Tuesday that it will be shutting all of its outlets here in Singapore before the end of the year.

A spokesman said in a statement that the decision was made because expansion and growth prospects of the company do not allow it to reach a leadership position in the medium and long term.

The French company opened its first store in Singapore in 1997. In 2010, it announced that it would leave Malaysian, Singaporean and Thai markets.

It sold its operations in Thailand, where it had 42 stores, including 34 hpyermarkets, to Thai chain Big C for $1.36 billion.

Carrefour's main competitors in Singapore are supermarket chain NTUC FairPrice and the Dairy Farm Group of supermarkets, which includes Cold Storage.

The closure will affect more than 380 employees, reported The Straits Times. The spokesman said that it intends to work with other retailers to find jobs for its staff.

[email protected]

My POSBank credit card discount will no longer be useful then.

Vincegoh
28-08-12, 16:36
aiyoh, i just bought a swing from them... supposed to deliver end oct/nov..

shldnt have bought so early.. scarli got closing down firesale. :tongue3:

AsiaOne
Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012

[email protected]

carbuncle
28-08-12, 16:39
Poor staff. :|

Vincegoh
28-08-12, 16:42
Poor staff. :|

think shld be relatively manageable as they only have 2 outlets and just 380 staff. most of the junior and temp staff should be able to find replacement jobs as some of the other supermarts are expanding (and will most likely replace the "void" left by carrefour). for mgmt, i think shldnt be too much of a worry as their golden handshake might be pretty good? :confused:

howgozit
28-08-12, 20:03
Most probably killed by the rentals in Singapore.....

And with them selling all the low-end, low margin stuff, I have always wondered how they managed to stay afloat for so long

radha08
28-08-12, 20:20
sign of EURO crisis..:scared-1:

azeoprop
28-08-12, 20:49
Actually their business in china seems very good. :beats-me-man:

radha08
28-08-12, 21:53
Actually their business in china seems very good. :beats-me-man:

that cos china got no..giant...:D

zeamybro
28-08-12, 22:03
Ever since the introduction of the evening ERPs for CBD .. the crowd at suntec has been getting lesser and lesser... Suntec City used to be very crowded some 10 yrs back.

tkc2263
28-08-12, 22:16
Understand Giant taking over premises...not sure whether the whole double storey floor space.

carbuncle
28-08-12, 22:54
only got giant pandas.

howgozit
28-08-12, 23:10
Too many retail in Singapore.... shoppers are a fickle lot with no loyalty at all... Carrefour does not really have any unique products too

Suntec has lost a bit of its mojo, the foodcourt has also gone to the dogs.... In addition, hip and cool continues to evolve and this is normal. Back in the days there were Far East Kids and Centrepoint Kids, but ask a teenager nowadays and they will say "Far East... what?"

Ever since the introduction of the evening ERPs for CBD .. the crowd at suntec has been getting lesser and lesser... Suntec City used to be very crowded some 10 yrs back.

kane
28-08-12, 23:57
carrefour has been really quite in the last couple of years.

Komo
29-08-12, 09:15
I only visit them for small or outdoor furniture items... funny right?:D

Wild Falcon
29-08-12, 11:27
With Cold Storage, Giant and NTUC all over Singapore, locals no longer go all the way to the city to buy groceries or household items liao. A lot of retail in the city are not doing too well. Nowadays the real "cool" places are those cafes and restaurants far from the madding crowd and only known to the "in" crowd.

carbuncle
29-08-12, 12:09
Agree. should start a thread on these rare finds to create mindshare... I start with... Duxton Hill...

howgozit
29-08-12, 14:33
Agree. should start a thread on these rare finds to create mindshare... I start with... Duxton Hill...

For coffee lovers... a cafe with a difference at an interesting location... try Chye Seng Huat Hardware.

carbuncle
29-08-12, 15:03
uber cool indeed. too bad I not into coffee else would definitely check it out.

howgozit
29-08-12, 15:11
uber cool indeed. too bad I not into coffee else would definitely check it out.

they have other stuff too...