PDA

View Full Version : Any bro here retired...

radha08
16-08-12, 16:44
How u pass ur time...i working on 12hrs shift...so i only work 15 days a month...one week got 3 to 4 days OFF...so consider semi retired...DAMM sianz how to pass time...most of time after settle my kids at sch drive around aimlesslly or go cofeeshop/24hrs prata shop drink teh....sometimes go swimming...shiok i guess but like getting a bit sianz after more than 10 years of doing it...by the way sitting at Duku road prata shop having a TEh-ALIAH typing this stupid thread just after swim at mounbatten pool got to pick my daughter up about 6...so just hanging around AGAIN...:doh::D

gn108
16-08-12, 16:51
must do everything slowly ...
go for cinema shows, hike along Kent Ridge, go take our heritage sights eg Little India, Chinatown, go for Ducktours before they close down, then try out YellowPages tour and compare!

Many things...

Regulators
16-08-12, 16:52
I am working till 40 n I am done, few more years to go.

Vincegoh
16-08-12, 16:59

congratulations in advance.. i think i will still need to slog for another 10 plus years to even get anywhere near to smell "retirement". :(

azeoprop
16-08-12, 17:00
Cherish the time that is given to you. Time that has passed will never come back again. :( 16th August 2012 4.59pm (GMT+8) is over. :scared-3:

radha08
16-08-12, 17:01
ya i guess just take life slowly like those Ah-pek whole day sit cofeeshop...read paper...play chess...:doh:

radha08
16-08-12, 17:03
Cherish the time that is given to you. Time that has passed will never come back again. :( 16th August 2012 4.59pm (GMT+8) is over. :scared-3:

yup now 5.03 pm market just closed...Sti...FLAT...that Mr B guy is SO WRONG...

azeoprop
16-08-12, 17:14
Life after retirement.... :scared-3:

http://youtu.be/RfwGkplB_sY

Regulators
16-08-12, 17:15
All about lifestyle. if you don't overly lavish yourself, you can retire earlier, if you need to spend at least $5k a month without work, then retirement stretches further. I look back at the time I spend working, really meaningless sometimes, we need time for ourselves which is why I do not intend to work beyond 40.
congratulations in advance.. i think i will still need to slog for another 10 plus years to even get anywhere near to smell "retirement". :(

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 17:15

do u have kids? it sounds like a dream to retire at 40 :D

Regulators
16-08-12, 17:18
Look back at your life, do you really want to bring a being into this world to go thru what you have gone thru? Animals propagate by instinct, but as humans, we are of a higher order and capable of looking ahead n beyond.
do u have kids? it sounds like a dream to retire at 40 :D

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 17:23
Look back at your life, do you really want to bring a being into this world to go thru what you have gone thru? Animals propagate by instinct, but as humans, we are of a higher order and capable of looking ahead n beyond.

Life is so miserable in Singapore even regulators managed to make $$$ in property :scared-4: :scared-1: :banghead:

Vincegoh
16-08-12, 17:30

are u really a Regulator working for the garmen? :cheers1: :D

Vincegoh
16-08-12, 17:31
All about lifestyle. if you don't overly lavish yourself, you can retire earlier, if you need to spend at least $5k a month without work, then retirement stretches further. I look back at the time I spend working, really meaningless sometimes, we need time for ourselves which is why I do not intend to work beyond 40.

hopefully can strike lottery (i.e. my investment portfolio huat to the sky) in the next 10 years so can retire by 40. :D

Regulators
16-08-12, 17:32
Life is miserable so you have to make it less miserable whenever possible.
Life is so miserable in Singapore even regulators managed to make $$$ in property :scared-4: :scared-1: :banghead:

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 17:38
hopefully can strike lottery (i.e. my investment portfolio huat to the sky) in the next 10 years so can retire by 40. :D

strike TOTO can ... I doubt PAP will allow property price to go 2X or 3X from current level ... the good old days of 1992-1996 is over :banghead:

also no chance for STI to go 2X or 3X in 10y time ... 2010-2020 will be super low return everywhere ... that's why I also think not the right time for CCR investment yet

Regulators
16-08-12, 17:45
I am against civil service n gahmen want ppl to work till 65, so how to retire early if I work for gahmen?
are u really a Regulator working for the garmen? :cheers1: :D

carbuncle
16-08-12, 17:48
if one is never contented, he will never retire in peace. I am brought up competitive and always comparing. so although I can comfortably sustain my whole family without working I still feel useless, insecure, and a loser.

carbuncle
16-08-12, 17:50
human nature is CHEAP. when we are slogging we dream of retirement. when we are supposed to be enjoying, we feel useless not working.

the trick I guess is to find a meaningful way that you can still continue to contribute to society.

carbuncle
16-08-12, 18:07
who you mix with also have a bearing. if all your friends are high maintenance then you need to look for new friends. although one can't choose his parents, he can still choose his friends.

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 18:31
one day, it will be cheaper just rent out all my properties and go backpacking, if I can still walk :D

when I was a student, I have little money but I have time to camp in Tanzania Ngorongoro Crater and trekked in the Annapurna, now I have more money but I cannot go anywhere :( Next time, I am going to tell my son: "do it while you can"

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/036/cache/african-elephant-tanzania_3648_600x450.jpg

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/u/H6yMi6fUB_1JR964xxG8RxsYArlNNn1lR5PWutchIbgec2ky0sKEZ958gyAI7zoMzPwcpGr-J2XWhQ/

azeoprop
16-08-12, 18:52
Balance is the key to a fruitful life. Work a bit, rest a bit, holiday a bit. Getting too much of one your marginal utility will diminish and the grass will appear greener on the otherside.... until you eat that grass everyday. :rolleyes:

Wynyard
16-08-12, 20:18
Find a hobby, something you can do when you are old... then you won't feel bored.

hyenergix
16-08-12, 20:29
Already semi-retired here but still working hard and enjoying what I'm doing.

CondoWE
16-08-12, 20:45
How u pass ur time...i working on 12hrs shift...so i only work 15 days a month...one week got 3 to 4 days OFF...so consider semi retired...DAMM sianz how to pass time...most of time after settle my kids at sch drive around aimlesslly or go cofeeshop/24hrs prata shop drink teh....sometimes go swimming...shiok i guess but like getting a bit sianz after more than 10 years of doing it...by the way sitting at Duku road prata shop having a TEh-ALIAH typing this stupid thread just after swim at mounbatten pool got to pick my daughter up about 6...so just hanging around AGAIN...:doh::D

Same boat now..I can feel you...:banghead: ! plannning full retire at 50.

Komo
16-08-12, 20:46
ya...look at those aliens who must be from the higher realms, fellow aliens crashed or captured also don't bother to save them...:D :D

ysyap
16-08-12, 20:51
ya...look at those aliens who must be from the higher realms, fellow aliens crashed or captured also don't bother to save them...:D :DThose that crashed are your neighbors now!!!

Komo
16-08-12, 20:53
...so everyone is getting much richer and can retire much much earlier....maybe this explains why often encountered people who drove on the outermost lane aimlessly at crawling speed hogging up a long stretch of rushing traffic behind:D

ysyap
16-08-12, 20:56
Same boat now..I can feel you...:banghead: ! plannning full retire at 50.Regulator retire at 40; condowe retire at 50. I just hope I can even retire before I submit my I/C... Lol...

Actually like what some forummers mentioned, its really a matter of how much you want to have during retirement. Then again it depends on your family situation. I estimate a couple who chooses to retire simply can live with $2.5k/mth with a simple Jap car and w/o other committments.

Guess the earliest I can retire is until my kids graduate from Uni? If they get scholarship before entry into Uni, then I can retire a few years earlier. Just live off my miserable rental income plus maybe some cpf funds! :rolleyes:

If you want to retire early to tour the world, then you will need a beefier saving though! :cheers1:

Komo
16-08-12, 21:10
Those that crashed are your neighbors now!!!
hmm..not sure how they landed...but one taken off and another should be moving in soon as major renovation is almost done although the house was newly built-up :D :D

3C
16-08-12, 21:21
Just puzzle. I want to retire & do something else but could not coz still got mouths to feed. A friend earning tons of $ and can retires anytime but work like a mad dog & no time for family & wife refuse to retire. Why why why??

buttercarp
16-08-12, 21:30

Sometimes when I am on leave alone, I also experience those symptoms you mentioned.
So I cannot retire.
Even if I have lots of money, I won't retire.
I think i will become picky, neurotic and short tempered if I have nothing to do.
I recently bought the annual pass to gardens by the bay and went there when I was on leave. Good place to pass time and take photos of the plants.

I like the venus fly trap and pitcher plants, but they are still so young and small.

ysyap
16-08-12, 21:31
Just puzzle. I want to retire & do something else but could not coz still got mouths to feed. A friend earning tons of $ and can retires anytime but work like a mad dog & no time for family & wife refuse to retire. Why why why??Different priority, that's why. Yup... mouths to feed is the main reason why many cannot retire and I guess it is only responsible for one to consider family needs above self-interest for retirement! :)

ysyap
16-08-12, 21:32
Sometimes when I am on leave alone, I also experience those symptoms you mentioned.
So I cannot retire.
I think i will become picky, neurotic and short tempered if I have nothing to do.
I recently bought the annual pass to gardens by the bay and went there when I was on leave. Good place to pass time and take photos of the plants.

I like the venus fly trap and pitcher plants, but they are still so young and small.Grow them in your backyard and you can appreciate their beauty daily! :)

Like what you mentioned, I'll enter semi-retirement instead of complete retirement to occupy my time! ;)

howgozit
16-08-12, 21:40
Life expectancy in Singapore for males is 82years and females is 86years.

To retire 40years old, you must plan to be able to provide for yourself (and your dependants) for at least another 40years in good health and bad.

One must also consider the declining sense of self-worth after one retires.

carbuncle
16-08-12, 21:44
not knowing what to do during retirement is a problem many would kill to have...

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 21:45
why stay in Singapore when retires ... cost of living is so high ...

howgozit
16-08-12, 21:57
not knowing what to do during retirement is a problem many would kill to have...

For me.. to be able to retire any time I want is good enough. Then you are no longer a slave to your job... strangely you become a better worker even when you don't have to.

radha08
16-08-12, 21:59
if one is never contented, he will never retire in peace. I am brought up competitive and always comparing. so although I can comfortably sustain my whole family without working I still feel useless, insecure, and a loser.

you the man...parc olympia is the condo for u...:D

radha08
16-08-12, 22:02
So I cannot retire.

I like the venus fly trap and pitcher plants, but they are still so young and small.

aiyo u got similar hobby as my wife she also plant/flower crazy stay landed plant until shiok shiok now going back hdb...scratch head liao...:doh:...got to give away all her plants pots flowers to friends relatives....:doh:

radha08
16-08-12, 22:05
one day, it will be cheaper just rent out all my properties and go backpacking, if I can still walk :D

when I was a student, I have little money but I have time to camp in Tanzania Ngorongoro Crater and trekked in the Annapurna, now I have more money but I cannot go anywhere :( Next time, I am going to tell my son: "do it while you can"

u cannot beat mr khoo...he the man...

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120810-364476.html

i used to have contact with him thru a mutual friend and i ever met him a few times over drinks....HE got amazing DRIVE....JUST DO IT:spliff:

radha08
16-08-12, 22:08
why stay in Singapore when retires ... cost of living is so high ...

very true just go across causeway cost of living very CHEAP...u will kena rob until nothing left then everything become very cheap...go temple eat free food...bath in public toilet...sleep at bus station....:D:D:D

carbuncle
16-08-12, 22:10
met him over coffee too. nice guy climbed highest mountains yet down to earth.

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 22:10
very true just go across causeway cost of living very CHEAP...u will kena rob until nothing left then everything become very cheap...go temple eat free food...bath in public toilet...sleep at bus station....:D:D:D

aiyo ... you only have JB in mind, both India/Nepal are very cheap and nice place e.g. Sikkim, Kashmir, Pokkara, if is China like Dali in Yunnan province, Zhuhai near Hong Kong all very nice and low cost and safe

have u heard of Vilcabamba? 10k can buy a land.

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 22:14
met him over coffee too. nice guy climbed highest mountains yet down to earth.

My wife and I met him/his wife once, spoke to him about mountain trekking ... suddenly their eyes lit up like fire :D

radha08
16-08-12, 22:26
my friend used to go training with him in the early days...he told me mr khoo got no lungs...:scared-1:....my friend can collapse but khoo still smiling and pushing him on...:doh:

buttercarp
16-08-12, 22:27
aiyo u got similar hobby as my wife she also plant/flower crazy stay landed plant until shiok shiok now going back hdb...scratch head liao...:doh:...got to give away all her plants pots flowers to friends relatives....:doh:

Me dislike gardening.
Too time consuming and dirty.
But I like to look at plants and take pictures of them.

radha08
16-08-12, 22:27
aiyo ... you only have JB in mind, both India/Nepal are very cheap and nice place e.g. Sikkim, Kashmir, Pokkara, if is China like Dali in Yunnan province, Zhuhai near Hong Kong all very nice and low cost and safe

have u heard of Vilcabamba? 10k can buy a land.

bro to me vilcabamba...sounds like a new model from volkswagon....:D:D:D:D:D

buttercarp
16-08-12, 22:29
bro to me vilcabamba...sounds like a new model from volkswagon....:D:D:D:D:D

Sounds like an active volcano to me :p .

radha08
16-08-12, 22:30
Me dislike gardening.
Too time consuming and dirty.
But I like to look at plants and take pictures of them.

oh ok to me all the same..but i am the photographer in the family...recently sold my sony nex-5 now thinking of buying D-slr...but since going back to the heartlands...:banghead:...damm sianzz..just use my samsung galaxy note take pictures can liao...:D

radha08
16-08-12, 22:31
Sounds like an active volcano to me :p .

haha no wonder land so cheap...:D

phantom_opera
16-08-12, 22:39
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilcabamba,_Ecuador

graveyard
17-08-12, 00:12
Just puzzle. I want to retire & do something else but could not coz still got mouths to feed. A friend earning tons of $ and can retires anytime but work like a mad dog & no time for family & wife refuse to retire. Why why why??

Once upon a time, a millionaire met a fisherman who are frolicking at a quiet beach tending his boat and sipping coconut juice to the sound of waves and blowing breeze. He asked the fisherman "You must be earning peanuts here, why are you wasting your time here - you should go out to the city and earn big money". The fisherman looked at him and replied "So boss, what do you do with all the money?" the millionaire replied "why, to buy properties and cars, of course!". The fisherman followed up "and what next?". The rich guy replied again "So i can go on expensive vacations and buy branded bags, clothes!" .. the fisherman again asked " oh, and what next?". The millionaire grew impatient and said "So i can dine on caviar and expensive food all night and throw lavish parties!". The fisherman asked again "I see, and then?". The frustrated millionare shot back "So I can retire early and frolick at a quiet beach and tends my boat while sipping coconut juice to the sound of crashing waves and blowing breeze!!!" :)

TKT
17-08-12, 00:13
Me also want to retire early too, quit the corporate rat threadmill...
So, bought properties here and in JB for rentals, passive income for daily use + some dividend stocks.

Next plan is to set up new companies in services and food line using spare savings... tap on partnership with others.
Dunno lah, heart want to retire but mind cannot sit still... maybe fated to work till drop... :banghead: ... but at least, do things I want to do, so cannot complain or regret not doing...

:47:

Regulators
17-08-12, 00:22
you can retire from physical work and combine interest with some kind of business and do it at leisure, think that is the way to stay active. i know retiree power sellers who sell things on ebay after retirement, earning a decent monthly income.

Me also want to retire early too, quit the corporate rat threadmill...
So, bought properties here and in JB for rentals, passive income for daily use + some dividend stocks.

Next plan is to set up new companies in services and food line using spare savings... tap on partnership with others.
Dunno lah, heart want to retire but mind cannot sit still... maybe fated to work till drop... :banghead: ... but at least, do things I want to do, so cannot complain or regret not doing...

:47:

jwong71
17-08-12, 00:28
Once upon a time, a millionaire met a fisherman who are frolicking at a quiet beach tending his boat and sipping coconut juice to the sound of waves and blowing breeze. He asked the fisherman "You must be earning peanuts here, why are you wasting your time here - you should go out to the city and earn big money". The fisherman looked at him and replied "So boss, what do you do with all the money?" the millionaire replied "why, to buy properties and cars, of course!". The fisherman followed up "and what next?". The rich guy replied again "So i can go on expensive vacations and buy branded bags, clothes!" .. the fisherman again asked " oh, and what next?". The millionaire grew impatient and said "So i can dine on caviar and expensive food all night and throw lavish parties!". The fisherman asked again "I see, and then?". The frustrated millionare shot back "So I can retire early and frolick at a quiet beach and tends my boat while sipping coconut juice to the sound of crashing waves and blowing breeze!!!" :)
ok so I'm considered retired. everyday i work, i see crashing waves and blowing breeze onboard

ysyap
17-08-12, 09:19
Once upon a time, a millionaire met a fisherman who are frolicking at a quiet beach tending his boat and sipping coconut juice to the sound of waves and blowing breeze. He asked the fisherman "You must be earning peanuts here, why are you wasting your time here - you should go out to the city and earn big money". The fisherman looked at him and replied "So boss, what do you do with all the money?" the millionaire replied "why, to buy properties and cars, of course!". The fisherman followed up "and what next?". The rich guy replied again "So i can go on expensive vacations and buy branded bags, clothes!" .. the fisherman again asked " oh, and what next?". The millionaire grew impatient and said "So i can dine on caviar and expensive food all night and throw lavish parties!". The fisherman asked again "I see, and then?". The frustrated millionare shot back "So I can retire early and frolick at a quiet beach and tends my boat while sipping coconut juice to the sound of crashing waves and blowing breeze!!!" :)The only difference is the first fisherman needs to fish while tending his boat and sell those fish in order to feed and provide shelter for his family. The retiree on the other hand don't have to sell his fish and go out only when he wants to. No worries.... :cheers1:

howgozit
17-08-12, 09:44
haha... I think this, like many other well-intentioned policies looks good only on paper..

carbuncle
17-08-12, 11:41

SUPERDUPERLIKE

Vincegoh
17-08-12, 13:16
if i retire, i want to be able to just doze off in front of my lawn while reading a book and sipping an ice old beer... when i feel like it, go for holidays and skiiing trips..

to keep mind active, i will be day trading (earn abit of side income while following my passion) and ward off alzheimers. :ashamed1:

ysyap
17-08-12, 13:21
if i retire, i want to be able to just doze off in front of my lawn while reading a book and sipping an ice old beer... when i feel like it, go for holidays and skiiing trips..

to keep mind active, i will be day trading (earn abit of side income while following my passion) and ward off alzheimers. :ashamed1:Always good to have a retirement plan but you and I know that people like us with young kids will have to sloth hard and long unless we have a rich daddy! Sure hope you have sorted out your roof over head issue already!!! :cheers1:

Vincegoh
17-08-12, 13:25
Always good to have a retirement plan but you and I know that people like us with young kids will have to sloth hard and long unless we have a rich daddy! Sure hope you have sorted out your roof over head issue already!!! :cheers1:
yah loh.. sigh. me same vein as u.. think earliest retirement is after kids put thru uni (or unless they gotch scholarship).

roof over head issue supposedly settled. but still need to find out if there's any surprises when i get hold of the keys mid Sep. :banghead:

gn108
17-08-12, 13:27
Money aside, you need the correct temperament for early retirement.
If you are still of warrior mentality and rushing to pack in the activities, you will defeat your own objectives.

Vincegoh
17-08-12, 13:29
yah loh.. sigh. me same vein as u.. think earliest retirement is after kids put thru uni (or unless they gotch scholarship).

roof over head issue supposedly settled. but still need to find out if there's any surprises when i get hold of the keys mid Sep. :banghead:

anyway u will be staying at LDV and not renting it out right? if so, then we going to live really near each other.. can ask u out for kopi next time. :D

ysyap
17-08-12, 13:29

roof over head issue supposedly settled. but still need to find out if there's any surprises when i get hold of the keys mid Sep. :banghead:Of if our kids choose not to go Uni... (oops). I suspect I'll give them the liberty to choose. :cheers1:

Vincegoh
17-08-12, 13:30
Money aside, you need the correct temperament for early retirement.
If you are still of warrior mentality and rushing to pack in the activities, you will defeat your own objectives.

maybe to slowly transition to retirement, can start with 2 days fishing (pack full of activities), 3 days sun the net (rest and relac and idle)...

ysyap
17-08-12, 13:31
anyway u will be staying at LDV and not renting it out right? if so, then we going to live really near each other.. can ask u out for kopi next time. :DLol... No problem... LDV developer now pushed prices even higher liao... its $13xx psf instead of $12xx psf as of 2 months back! :cheers6:

Vincegoh
17-08-12, 13:32
Of if our kids choose not to go Uni... (oops). I suspect I'll give them the liberty to choose. :cheers1:

wah.. this one neber crossed my mind acherly. hmmm... always assumed they will be able to go uni. :scared-3: me kiasu parent... :D

but i think with the way things are going, most likely will still try to put them thru uni unless they 1) cmi or 2) really against it and have their path set (i.e. aredi know wad they intend to do)

Vincegoh
17-08-12, 13:33
Lol... No problem... LDV developer now pushed prices even higher liao... its $13xx psf instead of $12xx psf as of 2 months back! :cheers6:

yup, i gotch keep track of the pricing.. really hiong the developer. congrats on your rising valuations! :D

carbuncle
17-08-12, 13:41
hallo... retirement thread turn into ldv thread ar?? :doh: :hell-hath-no-fury:

Vincegoh
17-08-12, 13:46
hallo... retirement thread turn into ldv thread ar?? :doh: :hell-hath-no-fury:

paiseh paiseh... side track liao. :tongue3: :D

gn108
17-08-12, 13:50
You are wise man bro...

Retire early ....do activities, meet and treat less well off friends, play golf with well off friends, do some sports, exercise, play mahjong/cards for mental stimulation. But don't need to rush ...

When at true retirement age, walk/taichi instead of running, planned tour instead of free and easy trips, take cruise instead of airplane, eat porridge instead of roast pork.

maybe to slowly transition to retirement, can start with 2 days fishing (pack full of activities), 3 days sun the net (rest and relac and idle)...

stl67
17-08-12, 13:56

to keep mind active, i will be day trading (earn abit of side income while following my passion) and ward off alzheimers. :ashamed1:

wah shiok... i am looking forward in 5 years time except that i will be busy playing golf instead of reading book.. everytime fall asleep when reading book:D

carbuncle
17-08-12, 14:13
why nobody mention tcss in condosg??? :mad:

gn108
17-08-12, 15:30
Coz when one is truly retired, you wouldn't be bothered to sian or troll virtual people...it'll be totally beneath you...

why nobody mention tcss in condosg??? :mad:

CondoWE
17-08-12, 19:22
Life after retirement.... :scared-3:

http://youtu.be/RfwGkplB_sY

scarely :OldFart: :scared-3: !

CondoWE
17-08-12, 19:24
You are wise man bro...

Retire early ....do activities, meet and treat less well off friends, play golf with well off friends, do some sports, exercise, play mahjong/cards for mental stimulation. But don't need to rush ...

When at true retirement age, walk/taichi instead of running, planned tour instead of free and easy trips, take cruise instead of airplane, eat porridge instead of roast pork.

Healthy lifestyle....prolong life...lol!

MLTR
17-08-12, 20:30
http://sg-quitters.blogspot.sg/2011/10/retirement-in-canada-vs-singapore.html

azeoprop
17-08-12, 20:38
Waaaa.... I want his house with sea view and alpine view! :D

phantom_opera
17-08-12, 23:22
Let's analyze:

"We built our own environmental friendly retirement home with a budget of less than the price of a 4-room HDB apartment"

=> See he never said exactly how much, a 4r HDB in Singapore can easily cost 500k, where he earns his 500k?? Either he sells his Singapore property or his savings or fortunate right? Of course the point he is trying to compare is quality of life of having a landed freehold with good scenery for HDB prices. .. but...

He said his monthly expenses is 1500-2000 Canadian dollar, for simplicity sake say $2000 per month, $25k per year, $100k for 4 years, even assume low inflation, you need at least $500k cash or $750k Singapore dollars to last even 15y

Basically you need to have > 1.5 million cash to lead this kind of life, it is not cheap at all ... there is nowhere middle class in Singapore can afford this ... only if you are upper middle class or elite

azeoprop
17-08-12, 23:36
No need to work also got income :rolleyes:

"For Canadians who are 65 years or older with little or no income, the Canadian government provides monthly Old Age Pension of about C$530 plus Guarantee Income Supplement of about C$750 per person. A retired couple would get a combined monthly income of C$2,560. In addition, they are given free medical, subsidized transportation ($36 for a one year unlimited ride pass) and free ferry rides."

phantom_opera
17-08-12, 23:47

"For Canadians who are 65 years or older with little or no income, the Canadian government provides monthly Old Age Pension of about C$530 plus Guarantee Income Supplement of about C$750 per person. A retired couple would get a combined monthly income of C$2,560. In addition, they are given free medical, subsidized transportation ($36 for a one year unlimited ride pass) and free ferry rides."

supported by ??

1. high income tax like UK ??
2. digging natural resources like Australia ??
3. ?

I never believe in free lunch in this world ..

CondoWE
18-08-12, 08:52

All this benefits are for Canadians only :rolleyes:. If can get C$2,650/mth for 65yr old PR there.......Canada...I'm coming soon... :cheers4:

phantom_opera
18-08-12, 09:20
All this benefits are for Canadians only :rolleyes:. If can get C$2,650/mth for 65yr old PR there.......Canada...I'm coming soon... :cheers4:

this kind of system is you pay very high income tax when u are young, when u retire state takes care of u ... provided that the state can get money from somewhere e.g. digging minerals, sell weapons

in UK, income tax for middle class easily 40%, GST 17.5% ... compared to SG income tax for middle class 10% GST 7%

CondoWE
18-08-12, 09:31
If I can receive capital gains from rentals, stocks, bonds, dividends and interests of 9~10K/mth, I may consider Canada as my retirement place liao..:D

I love natur...............e :sleep: !

DC33_2008
18-08-12, 10:24
He has pointed some salient points. We pay and pay in a country with only human resource. This is going to escalate with time. Only the ultra rich will preserve wealth for next generation. Average will always stay average or even drop given the high inflation.

carbuncle
18-08-12, 10:46
why facebook cofounder chose Singapore and not Canada?? so simple.

when young and earning power power, Singapore.

when old and stash of some money, Canada. or JB.

carbuncle
18-08-12, 10:48
a meritocratic society only values people who has economic value.

once you are not contributing taxes, you are a liability.

thank god I still pay my income and property tax...

DC33_2008
18-08-12, 11:00
But we are all paying tax all the time besides income tax: 7% GST, Road Tax, ERP (car owners and taxi passenger), property tax, etc. :banghead:
a meritocratic society only values people who has economic value.

once you are not contributing taxes, you are a liability.

thank god I still pay my income and property tax...

carbuncle
18-08-12, 11:01
even auntie buy bread also contribute gst.

buy 4d got gst??

DC33_2008
18-08-12, 11:10
I learnt from an elderly that there is a admin charge of about 25% with the use of the medisave for regular payment of medication of cholesterol. It is really a high tax.
even auntie buy bread also contribute gst.

buy 4d got gst??

focus
18-08-12, 14:16
why facebook cofounder chose Singapore and not Canada?? so simple.

when young and earning power power, Singapore.

when old and stash of some money, Canada. or JB.

I thought it's just :-
1) the safety of being able to flaunt your $$$$ and not get robbed in Singapore.
2) the zero percent capital gain tax and estate duty
3) the favourable environment for foreigners in singapore. You get treated like a higher mortal. What's not to like. The poorer angmohs go to Thailand to get treated like kings.

Regulators
18-08-12, 16:09
They go thailand for...you know what already :D
I thought it's just :-
1) the safety of being able to flaunt your $$$$ and not get robbed in Singapore.
2) the zero percent capital gain tax and estate duty
3) the favourable environment for foreigners in singapore. You get treated like a higher mortal. What's not to like. The poorer angmohs go to Thailand to get treated like kings.

carbuncle
18-08-12, 17:10
TIGER show and TIGER discotheque

Laguna
18-08-12, 18:30
I retired two years back at the age of 54. Not too young nor too old, just right.

I am now a part time trader, not too bad

Doing 30 laps every morning, go gym for dancing, etc, enjoying dancing with the young girls to make me feel young

Go for facial and massage every week, enjoy the gentle touch of women.

Search for good food...

also, friends visiting me for dine and wine...
Enjoy myself while I still can....

Spending my children's money now, don't need to give them too much

phantom_opera
18-08-12, 18:36
I retired two years back at the age of 54. Not too young nor too old, just right.

Doing 30 laps every morning, go gym for dancing, etc, enjoying dancing with the young girls to make me feel young

Search for good food...

Yes, this is the way to go :cheers5: cruise to Santorini, Milford Sound, Halong Bay :cheers5:

azeoprop
19-08-12, 02:11
Anybody here ever thought of doing a mid-career switch which will pay less? :beats-me-man:

DC33_2008
19-08-12, 10:33
Got friends who were CEOs and go to University to teach. Too fast pace in the industry. teach
Anybody here ever thought of doing a mid-career switch which will pay less? :beats-me-man:

carbuncle
19-08-12, 11:34

me. 50% cut and not even an interview for those jobs. they prolly think i kidding or wont stay long.

azeoprop
19-08-12, 12:06
Maybe i will stay till kena fired haa haa...:o

kane
19-08-12, 14:50

Search for good food...

fantastic lifestyle!

howgozit
20-08-12, 21:56
Eh?... you met Khoo Swee Chiow?

I thought you don't like immigrants... did you scold him for coming to our country and consuming our resources?..

My wife and I met him/his wife once, spoke to him about mountain trekking ... suddenly their eyes lit up like fire :D

Laguna
21-08-12, 10:34
fantastic lifestyle!

ya, to add, holiday and concerts

for retirement purpose, one needs to have a place that fits your lifestyle

phantom_opera
21-08-12, 11:03
Eh?... you met Khoo Swee Chiow?

I thought you don't like immigrants... did you scold him for coming to our country and consuming our resources?..

We need more Singaporeans like him ... like u said Just Do It - to live life to the fullest, not just day in day out worry about this worry about that

Hey, did I say immigrants are evil?