PDA

View Full Version : Walkability (Walk Appeal) - the new gauge of property attractiveness?

carbuncle
03-08-12, 21:05
location. location. location. however, unless your condo is right above the mrt station, there will always be a need to walk home. there is a reason why some projects 10mins walk away are in good rental demand vs some that may just be 2mins away. eg. 10 mins walk from Woodleigh stn pass greenery and peace vs 2mins from Aljunied past noisy rowdy eateries and the dubious crowd. Or 10 mins from Bedok past lots of neighbour shopping choices vs 2 mins from Tanah Merah across practically nothing, depending on your motivation. below link is an interesting read on this new paradigm. when I was in SF city I was happy walking cross the whole city to Presidio and back on Post St where I was staying just to catch the golden gate at sunset.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/how_far_will_we_walk_to_someth.html

august
03-08-12, 21:22
is our climate. i once walked leisurely from downtown vancouver back to dunbar took about 1.5 hr and hardly broke a sweat. Here i dont want to be under the sun and humidity for over 5 mins.

phantom_opera
03-08-12, 21:41
i normally take EWL to City Hall, then walk into Esplanade exchange to Suntec, half way eat my Donut / Kopi... no sweat

Komo
04-08-12, 08:36
yes "walkable" is an important factor especially if two locations about the same distance from a desired place eg mrt. have to test walk and assess:
- will sweat?
- dusty?
- any wind?
- need to cross road?
- safe for children to cross? any bridge?
- quiet route?
- any shops?
etc

zzz1
04-08-12, 09:37
yes "walkable" is an important factor especially if two locations about the same distance from a desired place eg mrt. have to test walk and assess:
- will sweat?
- dusty?
- any wind?
- need to cross road?
- safe for children to cross? any bridge?
- quiet route?
- any shops?
etc
Yeh.. It voice down into time taken, the safety, hazard, environment , etc...

carbuncle
04-08-12, 09:53
Some of these are double edged swords. eg quiet st may b good for some peace but for ladies it may not feel so safe to walk at night....