PDA

View Full Version : Honestly is BMW a reliable/practical car..

radha08
18-07-12, 23:52
was at my mechanic today doing a service on my trusted japanese car....while there i saw a 7 year old 3 series in for an ENGINE overhaul...was told it would cost a couple of K's.....according to my mechanic the owner had used some kind of after market engine oil additive...those snake oil kind of thing supposed to give you more power better fuel consumption....but end up whole engine....kaput....:doh:.....so i was thinking like wtf.....top german brand so easy to screw up....hmm....now i scared to buy BMW....:o

any bro driving/driven BMW got comments...;)

teddybear
19-07-12, 00:11
BMW 3-series I often hear people say is tin-can BMW?
Own experience of BMW is that it is not so reliable relative to the price I paid and relative to a Toyota. The other day saw news that Jaguar knocked onto Mercedes and the Mercedes bumper drop off while the Jaguar seems to have minor scratches & dents only. Wow! Jaguar super! :p

was at my mechanic today doing a service on my trusted japanese car....while there i saw a 7 year old 3 series in for an ENGINE overhaul...was told it would cost a couple of K's.....according to my mechanic the owner had used some kind of after market engine oil additive...those snake oil kind of thing supposed to give you more power better fuel consumption....but end up whole engine....kaput....:doh:.....so i was thinking like wtf.....top german brand so easy to screw up....hmm....now i scared to buy BMW....:o

cartman
19-07-12, 00:25
Own experience of BMW is that it is not so reliable relative to the price I paid and relative to a Toyota. The other day saw news that Jaguar knocked onto Mercedes and the Mercedes bumper drop off while the Jaguar seems to have minor scratches & dents only. Wow! Jaguar super! :p

substitute the jaguar with any japanese car like toyota, nissan etc and if the mercedes bumper dropped off, the japanese car bonnet/engine might have been smashed up :ashamed1:

my SO beemer 5 series still going strong after a few years.

cartman
19-07-12, 00:27

haha, if buy premium car, try to use premium products/accessories lah, not those snake oil thingies :o

radha08
19-07-12, 08:31
haha, if buy premium car, try to use premium products/accessories lah, not those snake oil thingies :o

thats the SAD reality...MAJORITY of sporeans tend to be MISERS...buy BIG cars but will que up for FREE textbooks...:doh:

radha08
19-07-12, 08:35
substitute the jaguar with any japanese car like toyota, nissan etc and if the mercedes bumper dropped off, the japanese car bonnet/engine might have been smashed up :ashamed1:

my SO beemer 5 series still going strong after a few years.

definately couldnt agree more...conti vs jap a lot of difference in build....my bro in law who drives a BMW 323 in australia swears he will never change to any other make...:rolleyes:

i also recently a bit itchy to change to those 2005/2006 BMW 320i...cost about 50 to 60K...cos my wife says she like the car and if WE change cars got to be a BMW...:doh:...BUT she not the one who going to maintain the car....:cool:

kane
19-07-12, 08:38
definately couldnt agree more...conti vs jap a lot of difference in build....my bro in law who drives a BMW 323 in australia swears he will never change to any other make...:rolleyes:

i also recently a bit itchy to change to those 2005/2006 BMW 320i...cost about 50 to 60K...cos my wife says she like the car and if WE change cars got to be a BMW...:doh:...BUT she not the one who going to maintain the car....:cool:

What's your depreciation per year?

buttercarp
19-07-12, 08:50

My good friend drives a VW Golf GTI.
According to her, the engine capacity is better than the BMW 3 series.
So I think if wanna drive beemer, better to get 5 series and above.

Wow... super Jaguar.
But drive Jaguar .... macham old man's car.
Then if you don't dress well, people might think you are the chauffer.

ysyap
19-07-12, 08:51
Read the reviews in sgcarmart on BMWs. Not very favorable response. Those who didn't have a good experience were proactive in writing. Those with good experience forget to write... :rolleyes:

buttercarp
19-07-12, 09:22
...:rolleyes:

Hi radha08, you not buying house so can splurge on cars now :) !

gfoo
19-07-12, 10:03
depends on which bmw, and where it's made. those made in eastern europe and south africa (1 & 3) suck. The best BMWs are those made in the US strangely (X5, X6)

sh
19-07-12, 10:05
According to her, the engine capacity is better than the BMW 3 series.
So I think if wanna drive beemer, better to get 5 series and above.

Wow... super Jaguar.
But drive Jaguar .... macham old man's car.
Then if you don't dress well, people might think you are the chauffer.

previous experience with relative's jaguar.... in workshop more often than on road:banghead: ... but that was many years ago.... but will never consider jaguar again....

Wild Falcon
19-07-12, 10:10
Just buy a car u like, no need think so much about maintenance. The most chio cars are the most high maintenance ones. And don't think one should compare front wheel drives cars like VW Golf with BMW. It feels different - never like front wheel drive cars - not shiok. As long as you're not getting a performance car, the maintenance is manageable, be it Jap or conti. But if you want true driving experience, should get a good performance car - and even though u have to go mechanic quite often -you will still love it.

buttercarp
19-07-12, 10:22
Just buy a car u like, no need think so much about maintenance. The most chio cars are the most high maintenance ones. And don't think one should compare front wheel drives cars like VW Golf with BMW. It feels different - never like front wheel drive cars - not shiok. As long as you're not getting a performance car, the maintenance is manageable, be it Jap or conti. But if you want true driving experience, should get a good performance car - and even though u have to go mechanic quite often -you will still love it.

No wonder I hate driving cos I have never experienced chio cars.
I get right foot strain cos i need to step hard on accelerator to keep my car moving at an acceptable speed.

radha08
19-07-12, 11:09
Hi radha08, you not buying house so can splurge on cars now :) !

the HUMAN brain works in mysterious ways...its always THINKING...:D

thinking to buy house thinking to buy car...thinking to go holiday...think think think...:doh:

Laguna
19-07-12, 11:11

thinking to buy house thinking to buy car...thinking to go holiday...think think think...:doh:

why think so much, just do things u like
simple life is the best.....

radha08
19-07-12, 11:11
What's your depreciation per year?

9 to 10k...this one caught my eye...

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=278470&DL=2080

radha08
19-07-12, 11:15
why think so much, just do things u like
simple life is the best.....

ha ha should tell that to Mr Yowetan...:D

buttercarp
19-07-12, 11:19

Yup, you are right!
I also thinking of what car my husband should get when I shift to my new place (which is duuno when, cos they haven't even ask for 1st payment yet).
His COE expiring in a few years time.

I am thinking of which breed of dog to get ...... the moment they ask for 1st payment of the house, I must get the dog and start sending it for training classes.

radha08
19-07-12, 11:23
Yup, you are right!
I also thinking of what car my husband should get when I shift to my new place (which is duuno when, cos they haven't even ask for 1st payment yet).
His COE expiring in a few years time.

I am thinking of which breed of dog to get ...... the moment they ask for 1st payment of the house, I must get the dog and start sending it for training classes.

DO NOT get a Jack Russsel if YOU are not prepared to RUN....:D...i know i got 2.....as for cars..looking at the COE...SIANzzzzzzz:doh:

radha08
19-07-12, 11:27

thats My other OPTION at least the Golf My wife can drive cos she is :doh::doh::doh:...with Big cars like the 3-series...:D

azeoprop
19-07-12, 12:06
My father's 1990 Mercedes E200 (W124) still working hard daily without problems. :rolleyes:

The W124 was designed to last many miles :o

buttercarp
19-07-12, 12:53
DO NOT get a Jack Russsel if YOU are not prepared to RUN....:D...i know i got 2.....as for cars..looking at the COE...SIANzzzzzzz:doh:

Thanks for the advice.
I don't have good impression of JRT.
My neighbour got 3 of them.
Bark like crazy during meal times.
Everytime they see people, they look like they wanna bite the passerby.

bullman
19-07-12, 14:12
I am on a 523 and a Z4. My family has always been beemer supporters. I used to own a Mercs & Audi, and they are comparable to BMW IMHO. Its just a matter of personal choice and liking.

Life is short, just enjoy the ride.

buttercarp
19-07-12, 14:27
thats My other OPTION at least the Golf My wife can drive cos she is :doh::doh::doh:...with Big cars like the 3-series...:D

It is so much easier to park a hatch back.
I am eyeing the green VW scirocco although it is really out of my budget.

Wonder what car does yowetan drive?

blackpepperj
19-07-12, 14:28

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/press-release-auto/Q5wPftR/2012-u-s-vehicle-dependability-study.htm

If you want reliability: Stick to the Jappy
If you love to drive: BMW

radha08
19-07-12, 15:19
My father's 1990 Mercedes E200 (W124) still working hard daily without problems. :rolleyes:

The W124 was designed to last many miles :o

yup as testified by my mechanic..that one is a workhorse and CHEAP to maintain...:cheers1:

radha08
19-07-12, 15:20
http://autos.jdpower.com/content/press-release-auto/Q5wPftR/2012-u-s-vehicle-dependability-study.htm

If you want reliability: Stick to the Jappy
If you love to drive: BMW

interesting link but they forgot the section on....

"COE":scared-4: :D :banghead:

rabid
19-07-12, 15:37
golf GTI- great car, chuckable, fun, plenty of torque.

downside is the local agent has really sucky service standards. do not get a AD vw if u value aftersales service- which you've already paid for.

the beemer 3er, if u are toking about the f30 is quite a car. the 328 version i feel offers the best balance. sheer driving pleasure.

as for FWD and RWD, both have their fans. personally i feel FWD is mroe exciting to drive but RWD offers the better handling.

anyway, go ask in car forums better idea. asking about cars in a property forum is like asking the stig about your GCB.

howgozit
19-07-12, 16:15
I used to drive the 523i (E60) and currently driving the 730i (E65)

This is my experience with BMW and some of my pet peeves.

1. DSC - Drive Stability Control. got this warning within 3 weeks of taking delivery of my 523i from PML, this went on and off for 4mths before it went away completely after bringing it back to PML a few times. My current 730i did not have this warning for 5yrs, in its 6th year now DSC pops up intermittently.

2. Folding mirrors - after the 5th year my 730i's mirrors could fold up but can only fold down on one side. Costs about $1000+ to replace as you can't just change the mechanism but the whole assembly.

3. Jerk when stop - If the car is stopped quickly after hard acceleration, there will be a slight jerk. It can sometimes be solved by re-programming the software.

4. Signal lights - warning says the signal light fail. after changing the bulb, bulb holder, then eventually the whole assembly, the warning still comes on intermittently... now I just live with it

Despite all these... still a Beemer lover

Trapping-bird
19-07-12, 16:44
interesting link but they forgot the section on....

"COE":scared-4: :D :banghead:

Anyone knows what car Yowetan drive?

phantom_opera
19-07-12, 17:35
change the title from "BMW" to "Khaw" since this is property forum ;)

radha08
19-07-12, 17:37
I used to drive the 523i (E60) and currently driving the 730i (E65)

This is my experience with BMW and some of my pet peeves.

2. Folding mirrors - after the 5th year my 730i's mirrors could fold up but can only fold down on one side. Costs about $1000+ to replace as you can't just change the mechanism but the whole assembly.

wohoo my previous honda civic i got a pair of USED folding mirrors from the scrapyard for $50...:scared-3:

stl67
19-07-12, 17:57
My first car was a Lada Samara. I was the fifth owner. Those were the days. Luckily this car did not give me that many problems. Cost only 15.5k for a 7 years old car.

Drove for 1.5 years then change to a subaru. Never have to visit the mechanic.

howgozit
19-07-12, 18:06
wohoo my previous honda civic i got a pair of USED folding mirrors from the scrapyard for $50...:scared-3:

I decided to live with it, bcoz even the workshops outside PML like BOSS and BVO are charging $800+. Anyway, old car already, less than 4 years to go... no point spending, save up for next COE. Just less stylo milo to manually unfold the mirrors only.

buttercarp
19-07-12, 19:30
My first car was a Lada Samara. I was the fifth owner. Those were the days. Luckily this car did not give me that many problems. Cost only 15.5k for a 7 years old car.

Lada samara..... LOL.
When I was an undergraduate, I wanted to buy that car but my parents were so against it as they thought it was a bad car. So in the end they bought a proton saga for me. The first generation type..... really good and lasted 10 years. Later my dad bought a proton wira which I thought could not be compared to the saga. Before I bought my present car, I went to test drive the new proton saga. At the showroom, the engine could not start because it was after the long CNY holiday and the battery was flat .... really CMI :doh: .

gfoo
19-07-12, 19:44
imho, in today's COE environment, if it's not a at least a V6, V8 or W12, price-performance not there.

never buy 2nd hand BMW 3 series - most of the bmw owners i know really whack their cars. in any case, a 320 is not a car - it's a bavarian branded gocart made in south africa from latin american parts.

if you can drive a manual, go buy a brand new land rover under goods vehicle plate. got class, style, and dirt cheap!

howgozit
19-07-12, 19:48
imho, in today's COE environment, if it's not a at least a V6, V8 or W12, price-performance not there.

never buy 2nd hand BMW 3 series - most of the bmw owners i know really whack their cars. in any case, a 320 is not a car - it's a bavarian branded gocart made in south africa from latin american parts.

if you can drive a manual, go buy a brand new land rover under goods vehicle plate. got class, style, and dirt cheap!

Mmmm... like....

buttercarp
19-07-12, 19:50

Under goods vehicle plate means must register under company?
So if family travel in it, they are not covered under insurance unless they are employees of your company?

amk
19-07-12, 20:21
Never had any real problems on both 5(e60) and 7(e65). On the 5 there was once coolant tank leak.

Most of my friends' BMW rides also have no issues. at least never heard them mentioning

ysyap
19-07-12, 20:24
Anyone knows what car Yowetan drive?Recently he's driving a taxi on weekends... ;)

fiat500
19-07-12, 20:25

u talking about the defender 90?
its not cheap,brand new is going for about 150k n the ladies will find this difficult to drive..
this defender 90 is actually a lifestyle vehicle in sg,more for the yuppy kind! definitely not ideal as family car..

radha08
19-07-12, 20:42

OMG i remember those we used to called them a Russian Tank...:D

radha08
19-07-12, 20:43
Lada samara..... LOL.
When I was an undergraduate, I wanted to buy that car but my parents were so against it as they thought it was a bad car. So in the end they bought a proton saga for me. The first generation type..... really good and lasted 10 years. Later my dad bought a proton wira which I thought could not be compared to the saga. Before I bought my present car, I went to test drive the new proton saga. At the showroom, the engine could not start because it was after the long CNY holiday and the battery was flat .... really CMI :doh: .

he he i had a wira before LOVED it but ur are right Proton CMI...:eek:

radha08
19-07-12, 22:06
This would be nice....:cool:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=279081&DL=2043

Laguna
19-07-12, 22:36
Recently he's driving a taxi on weekends... ;)

ya, he got a second job after office....so not just on weekends

cartman
19-07-12, 23:35
No wonder I hate driving cos I have never experienced chio cars.
I get right foot strain cos i need to step hard on accelerator to keep my car moving at an acceptable speed.
hmmm...think stepping extremely hard on the accelerator will not make your car go faster...placebo effect? :o

last time i told my friend to step hard on the accelerator and put his pedal to the metal cuz we were late for a meeting in the US, we got stopped by a traffic cop :banghead:

cartman
20-07-12, 00:04

hahaha but its a nice problem to have no? thinking about how to spend money :D

buying second hand cars are imho a hit and miss affair. you get a lady owner who uses it as a second car on weekends with low mileage, its quite worth it. you get one from a young punk driving across the causeway every other weekend to put his pedal to the metal, then the car might not be in a very good shape.

the next owner of my friend's 525 will be a happy owner as the mileage is low and she hardly use it...but she's not selling yet.

buttercarp
20-07-12, 09:42
hmmm...think stepping extremely hard on the accelerator will not make your car go faster...placebo effect? :o

last time i told my friend to step hard on the accelerator and put his pedal to the metal cuz we were late for a meeting in the US, we got stopped by a traffic cop :banghead:

Have to step hard especially if I am trying to pick up speed going up the slope. Otherwise will lag behind and hard to change lane.
Mine is a small cheapo car.
When I drive my husband's honda civic, it is completely different.
Just step on accelerator lightly and I can feel the car move smoothly.
You get what you pay.

Wild Falcon
20-07-12, 10:46
VW Scirocco looks like a duck. You will get sick of it after a while. I wonder why VW call it a "coupe" - doesnt look like one from any angle. More like a squashed up hatchback. Very "duck like" and looks like squawking on the road.

It is so much easier to park a hatch back.
I am eyeing the green VW scirocco although it is really out of my budget.

Wonder what car does yowetan drive?

buttercarp
20-07-12, 11:07
VW Scirocco looks like a duck. You will get sick of it after a while. I wonder why VW call it a "coupe" - doesnt look like one from any angle. More like a squashed up hatchback. Very "duck like" and looks like squawking on the road.

LOL.... so you call it the duck. Wonder what do other countries call it.

Every morning I hear on the radio about the VW beetle.... they say different countries call it by different names- ladybird, turtle and frog.

I never get sick of my cars.
I change it for practical reasons.

Vincegoh
20-07-12, 14:52
hahaha but its a nice problem to have no? thinking about how to spend money :D

buying second hand cars are imho a hit and miss affair. you get a lady owner who uses it as a second car on weekends with low mileage, its quite worth it. you get one from a young punk driving across the causeway every other weekend to put his pedal to the metal, then the car might not be in a very good shape.

the next owner of my friend's 525 will be a happy owner as the mileage is low and she hardly use it...but she's not selling yet.

how old is your fren's 525? me almost got one 1 year + back when i changed car.. but end up got a VW instead. now regret. :p

lemme noe if your fren intends to let hers go... might get it for my wife so she can help with sending my kids to sch

radha08
20-07-12, 15:58
Have to step hard especially if I am trying to pick up speed going up the slope. Otherwise will lag behind and hard to change lane.
Mine is a small cheapo car.
When I drive my husband's honda civic, it is completely different.
Just step on accelerator lightly and I can feel the car move smoothly.
You get what you pay.

thats how i feel when i drive my wifes honda jazz...:scared-3:..i used to have a fast civic....world of difference between jazz and civic...;)

cartman
21-07-12, 16:37
how old is your fren's 525? me almost got one 1 year + back when i changed car.. but end up got a VW instead. now regret. :p

lemme noe if your fren intends to let hers go... might get it for my wife so she can help with sending my kids to sch

hers abt 3 years+ i think, bought cheap during the last crisis. probably not selling yet till she finds a better upgrade but with current coe prices, think she has to wait longer.

richwang
22-07-12, 11:01
Land Rover is made in china now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/22/chinese-market-land-rover-freelander-and-range-rover-evoque-to-u/