PDA

View Full Version : Underground science city - updates anyone?

new2mondrian
14-07-12, 15:14
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1174400/1/.html

Recently was thinking of selling one of our two freehold properties around South Buona Vista/Science Park area, when I was bullishly reminded of the above article, if implemented, would create a 30 storey underground massive Science City right below Science Park for 5000 people to live, work and play; not to mention the entire ecosystem of commercial activities that will develop around Fusionopolis, Mediapolis, Rochestor area, Science Park, NUH/Johns Hopkins and Biopolis area which will create a massive amount of rental demand in that region in time to come. And this is excluding the additional activities going right down the road around MapleTree Business City and ARC.

With this I am at crossroads - to sell or to hold (and after all our cost price is ard $700-750psf). I need to weigh out the options.

Does anyone know what is the outcome of the underground Science City initiative? The article stated that the evaluation results would be out in April 2012, but haven't heard anything so far...

carbuncle
14-07-12, 15:36
The area is indeed super bustling and promising.

However, don't mean to pour cold water, but is it technically feasible to build 30 storeys into the ground in our small island state?

Those plans you mentioned, are they futuristic impressions and concepts or how close to actual fruition really. Food for thought.

new2mondrian
14-07-12, 15:52
The area is indeed super bustling and promising.

However, don't mean to pour cold water, but is it technically feasible to build 30 storeys into the ground in our small island state?

Those plans you mentioned, are they futuristic impressions and concepts or how close to actual fruition really. Food for thought.

Spoke with a few civil engineers working in civil service. Technically possible and the technology is quite stable, esp given Singapore's expertise in doing deep tunelling and Jurong rock caverns, but it is expensive and not to say depressing to spend 12 hrs underground each day.

Have been thinking and thinking... Of selling 1-2 properties, repay all the debts, and keep dry powder close for deployment. Question is which one if any, at all.

carbuncle
14-07-12, 16:16
Spoke with a few civil engineers working in civil service. Technically possible and the technology is quite stable, esp given Singapore's expertise in doing deep tunelling and Jurong rock caverns, but it is expensive and not to say depressing to spend 12 hrs underground each day.

Have been thinking and thinking... Of selling 1-2 properties, repay all the debts, and keep dry powder close for deployment. Question is which one if any, at all.

DEBT IS MONEY. Don't get rid of it. Coz NO DEBT = NO MONEY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC720Cl3N-0

hopeful
14-07-12, 17:22
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1174400/1/.html

With this I am at crossroads - to sell or to hold (and after all our cost price is ard $700-750psf). I need to weigh out the options.

a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

sh
14-07-12, 20:58
I don't understand. Why is building 30 storeys into the ground better than building 30 storeys higher on the ground.

It's definitely not cheaper
The environment is much worse

Can't they just increase the plot ratio above ground to get the same density?

Why spend the extra money for a worse environment?

Or is it somebody's ego trip at the tax payer's expense?:simmering:

Allthepies
14-07-12, 21:29
I don't understand. Why is building 30 storeys into the ground better than building 30 storeys higher on the ground.

It's definitely not cheaper
The environment is much worse

Can't they just increase the plot ratio above ground to get the same density?

Why spend the extra money for a worse environment?

Or is it somebody's ego trip at the tax payer's expense?:simmering:

Probably underground spaces will be for offices, those above ground spaces for residential... This is one way to optimize land use....

sh
14-07-12, 21:34
Probably underground spaces will be for offices, those above ground spaces for residential... This is one way to optimize land use....

How would working in an undergorund dungeon be better than working above ground? If the plot ratio is 3 above ground now, increase that to 6 to get the same. Go higher instead of deeper.

Allthepies
14-07-12, 22:14
How would working in an undergorund dungeon be better than working above ground? If the plot ratio is 3 above ground now, increase that to 6 to get the same. Go higher instead of deeper.

When u work, u have air con and probably too busy to look outside. So whether u r outside or inside a cave u would not notice or mind.

If u increase the plot ratio abv ground to too high a value, everything will be very cramped and suffocating. So they move the offices underground.. Just my 1 cent view :2cents: :2cents:

to maintain the quality of life during non working hours...

hopeful
14-07-12, 22:33
look that area is for bio research.
building underground in that area means it is for extreme biohazzard research.

in case anything happens, harder for zombies to get in or out.
watch resident evil. umbrella corp's facilities are underground.

seriously if anything happens, it is easier to shut down an underground facility.

new2mondrian
15-07-12, 08:19
My suspicion is that Science Park 1 and 2 may already be in private hands. To wait out the expiry of the land lease will take too long, and to invoke the land acquisition act is terribly disruptive for businesses and not business friendly. To rectify that, the best way to maximise land use in that area is to go underground.

new2mondrian
15-07-12, 08:23
a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Yeah.... But it is terribly attractive to know that we don't owe a single cent, and when the going gets tough at work; at least there is an option to go on sabathical or switch to a less stressful career since we don't need much to get by.

Recently have been tempted by this thought. Haha...

DC33_2008
15-07-12, 11:25
Deep thinker needs to work in deep underground place. :D

hopeful
15-07-12, 15:04
Deep thinker needs to work in deep underground place. :D

the people have accused govt of being in ivory tower.
now government build underground, they say they are more down to earth :D.

but i still stick to my biohazard theory.