PDA

View Full Version : Khaw defends NParks' decision to buy Brompton bicycles

maisonjai
04-07-12, 17:12
Khaw defends NParks' decision to buy Brompton bicycles
Published on Jul 4, 2012
National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan has defended National Parks Board's (NParks) decision to purchase the Brompton foldable bikes for its officers.
The purchase of the 26 bikes, each costing $2,200, has raised eyebrows, with some wondering why such a costly bike was purchased in the first place.
On Wednesday morning, the Minister noted in a blog entry that he had checked with NParks and found that productivity was a key consideration behind the purchase.
An NParks officer in the Park Connector Division covers up to 40km on his rounds daily.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_818425.html (http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_818425.html)

carbuncle
04-07-12, 17:59
we shall b thankful he didnt buy 26 x Segways

land118
04-07-12, 18:06
I prefer Segway, more cool...But bicycle is really expensive. I doubt many of the staff actually fold the bikes and take bus and mrt to these parks to do their job...

hyenergix
04-07-12, 22:17
I'm sure there are many fold-able bikes that cost less than $1k. No accountability at all.

roly8
04-07-12, 22:31
we shall b thankful he didnt buy 26 x Segways

HAHAHA!! :D:D:D

maisonjai
04-07-12, 23:04
I suppose this shagway EU399 can do that same job as well, 4 wheeler.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y358/maisonjai/way-.jpg

teddybear
05-07-12, 00:19
Questions not answered are:
1) Do NParks' staff really need to fold the bicycle? Otherwise why need foldable bicycle?
2) Even for foldable bicycles, there are obviously much cheaper ones! Why just this particular brand at $2200 per unit?
3) Who made the decisions to buy such expensive foldable bicycles?
4) What productivity achievement are there if there is no need to spend time to fold the bicycles in the first place but because these are foldable bicycles and in order to justify having bought such expensive foldable bicycles end up have to waste time to fold the bicycles everyday to store? (i.e. first wasted money and then end up wasting so much time everyday in order to appear to justify wasting so much money?) :banghead:

Khaw defends NParks' decision to buy Brompton bicycles
Published on Jul 4, 2012
National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan has defended National Parks Board's (NParks) decision to purchase the Brompton foldable bikes for its officers.
The purchase of the 26 bikes, each costing $2,200, has raised eyebrows, with some wondering why such a costly bike was purchased in the first place.
On Wednesday morning, the Minister noted in a blog entry that he had checked with NParks and found that productivity was a key consideration behind the purchase.
An NParks officer in the Park Connector Division covers up to 40km on his rounds daily.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_818425.html (http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_818425.html)

TKT
05-07-12, 04:44
Boogles the mind that $2200 per bicycle is justifiable, using public money!

Usually I dont comment on politics...but this one, hmmm... what are the minister and civil servants thinking?... :doh: :doh:

:47:

Laguna
05-07-12, 09:51
I remembered sometime back, taffic police used BMW motorbic...I think this one is even more cost justifiable...
cannot remember the outcome then...........

carbuncle
05-07-12, 09:59
What kind of impression and association does the NParks wanna give to young minds?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeO4xw6UmDEY&v=eO4xw6UmDEY&gl=US

Sex pedophiles on Bromptons going after them in secluded areas of parks?

Far fetched, I know. But the all reaching govt surely will be more careful about endorsing certain (foul) brand names...

mkl22
05-07-12, 10:01

Usually I dont comment on politics...but this one, hmmm... what are the minister and civil servants thinking?... :doh: :doh:

at least still better than China. I saw a Merc GL550 as a police Car and it was clearing the way for a Toyota Coaster Bus. :p

hopeful
05-07-12, 10:13

next we will have $100,000 research to explain why $2200 bike is better :)
have to wait next year report from auditor general about wastage.

in the immortal words of KH, faith without action is useless
so criticism without action is useless.
anybody here reporting to CPIB?

maybe another sex scandal is around the corner involving the bikes.

carbuncle
05-07-12, 10:16
BikeHop was given the contract without even call for tender nor 3 quotes process. Its not the distributor. Diginexx is. Drama drama... maybe govt wanna entertain us like the Ch8 weekend 7pm slot Taiwanese drama also got bicycle business....

howgozit
05-07-12, 10:26
No call for tender?... you sure about this? This is procedurally wrong... How can KBW defend it?

BikeHop was given the contract without even call for tender nor 3 quotes process. Its not the distributor. Diginexx is. Drama drama... maybe govt wanna entertain us like the Ch8 weekend 7pm slot Taiwanese drama also got bicycle business....

hopeful
05-07-12, 10:31
No call for tender?... you sure about this? This is procedurally wrong... How can KBW defend it?

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120629-356124.html

land118
05-07-12, 10:37
If it is own company, just look at weekend sales, easily can go Carrefour buy each bicycle for $100/-, no need foldable. Once NPark officers finished their duty, just chain it up at the park. Used 1 year, spoilt buy again. Imagine $2200/- for 1 foldable, can buy 22 of those non-foldable bikes. Use, spoilt and throw..; imagine 1 such Carrefour bike can use for 6mths (conservative), $2200/-, at least can replace 22 cycle or 11 years..; Gahmen really "bo now" :doh:

Latest June'12 promotion,quite a few models below $100/- to choose from.

http://singapore-promotions.com/household/carrefour-aleoca-bicycles-cougar-inline-skates-promotion-offers-8-30-jun-2012-34410/

carbuncle
05-07-12, 10:57

got "tender"... but so gentle and fragile and tender until hush hush and nobody knows type. in my work if I procure million dollar vendor services like that my head will roll even before I reach the door of the CFO office... oh.. in this case 57k nia... peanuts ba

hopeful
05-07-12, 11:04
got "tender"... but so gentle and fragile and tender until hush hush and nobody knows type. in my work if I procure million dollar vendor services like that my head will roll even before I reach the door of the CFO office... oh.. in this case 57k nia... peanuts ba
sorry, sound engineering firm big business? got million dollar tender meh?

carbuncle
05-07-12, 11:15
sorry, sound engineering firm big business? got million dollar tender meh?

no no, me trained in that field but not work in that field...

as for the sound engr field. possible... multi million sound reinforcement contracts say for esplanade concert hall for eg.

wow bro hopeful u hv memory of a dinosaur leh... relly gd.. how I wish I m half as gd as u

zzz1
05-07-12, 12:08
no no, me trained in that field but not work in that field...

as for the sound engr field. possible... multi million sound reinforcement contracts say for esplanade concert hall for eg.

wow bro hopeful u hv memory of a dinosaur leh... relly gd.. how I wish I m half as gd as u
U mean memory of elephant ? Memory of dinosaur mean 'dead brain' or 死 脑。:D

carbuncle
05-07-12, 13:54

hahaha yes yes elephant lol my bad

howgozit
05-07-12, 20:33
Oh I see... got tender but only 1 bid.

Like that then the procurement process salah already.... even though only one bid, there must be due diligence. Giant also sell foldable bikes at $100+ only

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120629-356124.html

hyenergix
05-07-12, 21:00
Oh I see... got tender but only 1 bid.

Like that then the procurement process salah already.... even though only one bid, there must be due diligence. Giant also sell foldable bikes at $100+ only

Specs written wrongly and din call enough vendors to submit quotations.

heehee
07-07-12, 19:17
Heard they said that foldable bicycles are to enable their staff to bring along when taking public transport to the park they need to inspect and check and their need to cover 40 km (a day or a week?). However, some clever people instead are asking if this is the case, why need foldable bicycles to bring along all the way to inspection site? It is not like they shift the site to inspect every week? Might as well chain the non-foldable bicycles to some fixed place and the staff can be relieved from having to carry them all the way to inspection site? This will be a great discrimination and disadvantage to old staff since they are made to carry these heavy bicycles all the way to inspection site? Not elderly friendly decision? Also, 1 foldable bicycle $2200. 1 normal non-foldable bicycle reasonable quality $150 enough already. Big difference! The difference? Pay to staff as bonus better! Value the employee rather than let the vendor make more money! :doh:

Specs written wrongly and din call enough vendors to submit quotations.

darkseid
07-07-12, 20:48
They need these kind of special spending to fund their secret alien project "Area 69". They cannot fund it openly. Hahaha

hyenergix
07-07-12, 22:08
Heard they said that foldable bicycles are to enable their staff to bring along when taking public transport to the park they need to inspect and check and their need to cover 40 km (a day or a week?). However, some clever people instead are asking if this is the case, why need foldable bicycles to bring along all the way to inspection site? It is not like they shift the site to inspect every week? Might as well chain the non-foldable bicycles to some fixed place and the staff can be relieved from having to carry them all the way to inspection site? This will be a great discrimination and disadvantage to old staff since they are made to carry these heavy bicycles all the way to inspection site? Not elderly friendly decision? Also, 1 foldable bicycle $2200. 1 normal non-foldable bicycle reasonable quality $150 enough already. Big difference! The difference? Pay to staff as bonus better! Value the employee rather than let the vendor make more money! :doh:

Actually the amount involved is small: $2,200 x 26 = $57,200 and you can view it as giving the staffs a very good tool for their work. But the process of quotation and principle of approving this purchase are wrong and it hit a raw nerve among Singaporeans who are unhappy with a party. I'm not sure if any NPark staffs would dare to be seen associated with this bike in public.

teddybear
07-07-12, 22:33
See, that is the problem. If because the amount is small, never mind. Those managing $Billions probably think that $Millions are small anyway, never mind. It makes the singaporeans wonder how many more cases like these are happening and many they don't know about? :p
As brought out by others, making the staffs carry the $2200 foldable bicycles to take public transport to sites they need to inspect makes little sense. In doing so, what about old staffs and lady staffs who have no strength to carry the foldable bicycles? :banghead:

They should just buy $150 non-foldable bicycles and parked them at sites and the staffs need not carry them to take public transport. This way, they Save Money & save effort! :beats-me-man:

Actually the amount involved is small: $2,200 x 26 = $57,200 and you can view it as giving the staffs a very good tool for their work. But the process of quotation and principle of approving this purchase are wrong and it hit a raw nerve among Singaporeans who are unhappy with a party. I'm not sure if any NPark staffs would dare to be seen associated with this bike in public.

maisonjai
08-07-12, 01:41
They should just buy $150 non-foldable bicycles and parked them at sites and the staffs need not carry them to take public transport. This way, they Save Money & save effort! :beats-me-man:
$57,200 / $150 = 381 bicycles. Every station they can park 10 bicycles & save the hassle.

something juicy here. :47:

Ex-civil servant’s comment on NParks’ $2200 bike purchase (http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/07/05/ex-civil-servants-comment-on-nparks-2200-bike-purchase/)
July 5th, 2012
I’m an ex-civil servant and I can tell you how this purchasing system works in the civil service. These days, when any Govt depts want to buy things, they’ll put up a tender on GEBIZ. But I ask you, how many SMEs really track GEBIZ especially if you are buying uncommon items like foldable bikes? You don’t expect the shops that sell foldable bikes to go onto GEBIZ everyday to look for tenders, right?

So, there lies the “trick” these civil servants will commonly use. In my past experience, I can tell you guys this. When something is put up for tender, chances are, the civil servant who is doing the purchasing already has the product or company in mind. They would have already pre-checked out the product they want before putting up the tender. And the company will also know when the tender is going up so that they can bid for it. The civil servant, will then hope that the others won’t come in to “spoil” the situation for him. If there are likely a few other vendors coming in, this is another “trick” the civil servant can do – play around with the requirement specs. Put in a feature which likely only the product you want have it and others don’t have. Then during evaluation, rest will be thrown out.

I believe this is exactly what happened to the NPark’s purchase of the $2200 foldable bike. I don’t think the rest of the foldable bike vendors knew about the tender, cause it’s a specialized item. The NPark guy probably didn’t bother to call the rest to bid so that’s why it ended up with only 1 bid – and it’s a top end one. Coincidence?

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/07/05/ex-civil-servants-comment-on-nparks-2200-bike-purchase/ (http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/07/05/ex-civil-servants-comment-on-nparks-2200-bike-purchase/)

hyenergix
08-07-12, 06:51
See, that is the problem. If because the amount is small, never mind. Those managing $Billions probably think that $Millions are small anyway, never mind. It makes the singaporeans wonder how many more cases like these are happening and many they don't know about? :p
As brought out by others, making the staffs carry the $2200 foldable bicycles to take public transport to sites they need to inspect makes little sense. In doing so, what about old staffs and lady staffs who have no strength to carry the foldable bicycles? :banghead:

I think you should join AGO as Auditor-General as I can sense your passion and righteousness: http://www.ago.gov.sg/mgtstaff.html

wesing
25-07-12, 09:39
Just heard over the news that those involved in the procurement of these bikes have been suspended pending further investigations into the purchase.

I still do not understand why NParks staff need such high-end bike.

I am a serious birdwatcher. Started off with a cheapo binoculars that costs $50 over e-bay. This bino gave crappy images even in good light. As a result, can only see outlines of the birds most of the time.

Then I upgraded to a better Nikon binoculars from US e-bay at US$350. Wow! It was much better than the crappy ones and this one allows to see birds better and more importantly identify them (which is the most important and fun part of birdwatching).

After using this Nikon bino for 3 years, I realised, after getting more serious with this hobby, that the performance in low light condition/back-lit situation to be below average. Missed identifying many birds as a result.

Than I decided to buy the most top-end Nikon birdwatching binoculars at US$23995. It was superb, super bright and images super sharp. Hardly missed a bird now as long as I can get my bino on it:D

Since some of the NParks staff are also required to birdwatch, is Mr. Khaw implying that NParks should also purchase the US$2,3995 bino for them as this will definitely improve their productivity in identifying the birds of Singapore:doh:

hopeful
25-07-12, 10:10

After using this Nikon bino for 3 years, I realised, after getting more serious with this hobby, that the performance in low light condition/back-lit situation to be below average. Missed identifying many birds as a result.

Than I decided to buy the most top-end Nikon birdwatching binoculars at US$23995. It was superb, super bright and images super sharp. Hardly missed a bird now as long as I can get my bino on it:D

check your eyesight first before buying expensive binoculars.

zzz1
25-07-12, 10:15
check your eyesight first before buying expensive binoculars.
that is very bad.... LOL :D :D

howgozit
25-07-12, 10:15
Haha... bro,

Your narrative is actually supporting the purchase of the expensive Brompton bikes....

you have actually wasted more money buying cheap binoculars through the years that didn't do the job. You should have just bought your $350 Nikon right from the start. Which is more expensive but not the highest end but more importantly did the job you required it to.

The Brompton bikes are similar to your example, they are more expensive but not the highest end. What your example infers is to go straight for the expensive ones but not the highest end ($23995).... Nparks should hire you to explain and justify their purchase.

Haha... you see, the problem is not with the bikes or the cost... its the process... there is something wrong with the procurement process. And this needs to be addressed.

For all you know, it could very be the same bike that they decide to purchase after they go through a very stringent process.

Just heard over the news that those involved in the procurement of these bikes have been suspended pending further investigations into the purchase.

I am a serious birdwatcher. Started off with a cheapo binoculars that costs $50 over e-bay. This bino gave crappy images even in good light. As a result, can only see outlines of the birds most of the time.

Then I upgraded to a better Nikon binoculars from US e-bay at US$350. Wow! It was much better than the crappy ones and this one allows to see birds better and more importantly identify them (which is the most important and fun part of birdwatching).

Since some of the NParks staff are also required to birdwatch, is Mr. Khaw implying that NParks should also purchase the US$2,3995 bino for them as this will definitely improve their productivity in identifying the birds of Singapore:doh:

zzz1
25-07-12, 10:18

are u sure that u use the bino for birdwatching and nothing else?:D

wesing
25-07-12, 11:16
Haha... bro,

Your narrative is actually supporting the purchase of the expensive Brompton bikes....

you have actually wasted more money buying cheap binoculars through the years that didn't do the job. You should have just bought your $350 Nikon right from the start. Which is more expensive but not the highest end but more importantly did the job you required it to.

The Brompton bikes are similar to your example, they are more expensive but not the highest end. What your example infers is to go straight for the expensive ones but not the highest end ($23995).... Nparks should hire you to explain and justify their purchase.

Haha... you see, the problem is not with the bikes or the cost... its the process... there is something wrong with the procurement process. And this needs to be addressed.

For all you know, it could very be the same bike that they decide to purchase after they go through a very stringent process.

Bird watching and also bird photography is a funny hobby and also expensive. This is because one tend to upgrade the equipment of an incremental basis. When you are new to the hobby, or just trying out, you tend to get the most basic equipment. As you get more into it, you wanted better ones. And when you are really deep in it, you wanted the best money can buy:D

I had a well-off friend who started bird photography with a 200mm telephoto lens. The he found a bit too short and upgraded to 400mm. After 6 months (and trying other people's 600mm), he upgraded to 600mm. Now, he is contemplating upgarding to the new nikon 800mm! He is rich and could have save a lot of money by going straight to the 600mm! But that's the mistakes made and continue to be made by people. Just human nature I reckon.

We are using our own money to fund our hobby (which may seems wasteful to some people).

But ow to justify such expenditure using taxpaper money on the basis of productivity:doh:

wesing
25-07-12, 11:18
are u sure that u use the bino for birdwatching and nothing else?:D

Of course if the opportunity arise, I will use the bino on other more interesting creatures:D Very bright even in low-light condition you know:D

hopeful
25-07-12, 11:55
Of course if the opportunity arise, I will use the bino on other more interesting creatures:D Very bright even in low-light condition you know:D
you are using wrong equipment in low-light conditions.
Get a thermal imager.
in night condition, thermal imager can detect birds, both real birds and man's birds.

using a thermal imager, you can see man's cock getting hotter and woman's breast getting hotter when they are aroused. This is due to the inrush of hot blood to the regions.

Don't buy the sub-10k ones.

sample image
http://www.infraredcamerasinc.com/images/Medical-Infrared-Thermography/Thermal-Infrared-Full-Body-Scan.jpg

wesing
25-07-12, 12:08
you are using wrong equipment in low-light conditions.
Get a thermal imager.
in night condition, thermal imager can detect birds, both real birds and man's birds.

using a thermal imager, you can see man's cock getting hotter and woman's breast getting hotter when they are aroused. This is due to the inrush of hot blood to the regions.

Don't buy the sub-10k ones.

sample image
http://www.infraredcamerasinc.com/images/Medical-Infrared-Thermography/Thermal-Infrared-Full-Body-Scan.jpg

But I am not interested in silhouettes. I wanted to see feather details of the subject:D

stl67
25-07-12, 13:53
can t-loan or not...it would be nice to watch interesting creatures.:D

howgozit
25-07-12, 14:20
I would be more interested in the actual image than the thermal image too.... I think I can roughly guess which areas are hot and which areas are not.

But I am not interested in silhouettes. I wanted to see feather details of the subject:D

zzz1
25-07-12, 15:11
I would be more interested in the actual image than the thermal image too.... I think I can roughly guess which areas are hot and which areas are not.
this gonna to attract and seeing more buaya creeping out....:D :D

howgozit
25-07-12, 22:38
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120725-361271.html

The purchase of 26 foldable Brompton bikes by the National Parks Board (NParks) has been reported to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB).
The Straits Times reported that the Ministry of National Development (MND) confirmed to the paper that it reported the matter to the CPIB.
The officer in charge of the deal, assistant director of the Park Connector Network Mr Bernard Lim, has been suspended until further notice.

The ministry also said Mr Khaw Boon Wan had told a ministry internal audit team to work with NParks to review the purchase of the bicycles.

The amount spent of the purchase raised some eyebrows, with many Singaporeans questioning if the Brompton bikes, costing $2,200 each, were too expensive.
NParks had bought the foldable British-brand bikes for its officers to use on patrols.
Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan had earlier defended the purchase of the bicycles but called for an audit to be carried out last month to review the purchase to ascertain NParks' justification and to see if its procurement process could be improved.
The audit found that "the reasons for purchasing the foldable bikes to enhance work productivity of NParks field staff were valid", but "it had also uncovered some discrepancies which, although inconclusive by themselves, suggested the possibility of bias in the procurement."

howgozit
25-07-12, 22:44
More court drama coming..

wonder if this time round it involves any sex or blowjobs in the carpark...

evergreen
25-07-12, 23:49
This is so good! :D:D:D I know a person with dinosaur memory! (I mean I know in real life, not online)

zzz1
26-07-12, 12:00
This is so good! :D:D:D I know a person with dinosaur memory! (I mean I know in real life, not online)
If u watch jack neo' 'Just follow law' u can see alot alot ppl like that...
I believe your acquaintance must be the hard core type...