PDA

View Full Version : The World's Most Expensive Places to Live 2012

maisonjai
14-06-12, 22:51
The World's Most Expensive Places to Live 2012
By Rajeshni Naidu-Ghelani | CNBC – Tue, Jun 12, 2012

Europe’s debt crisis, slowing growth in the U.S. and worries about a hard landing in China: Even if you’ve kept your job this past year, you’ve probably had plenty to worry about. But how about the rising cost of living?

According to a new report from human resources firm Mercer Consulting, the cost of living in North American, Asian and African cities has been rising this past year, despite the global slowdown.

The study looked at 214 cities worldwide and used New York City as the benchmark. Mercer’s annual cost of living survey is used by multinational companies to determine compensation for their expatriate employees around the world. The rankings are based on the cost of more than 200 items in each location including housing, transportation, food, clothing and entertainment.

So, which cities are the most expensive to live in? Click ahead to find out.

1. Tokyo, Japan
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $4,848
Cup of Coffee: $8.29
One Gallon of Gasoline: $7.34
Daily International Newspaper: $6.38
Fast-Food Meal: $8.29

2. Luanda, Angola
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $6,500
Cup of Coffee: $3.90
One Gallon of Gasoline: $2.38
Daily International Newspaper: $5.46
Fast-Food Meal: $19.94*

*Replaced by club sandwich and soda in absence of any comparable fast food outlets.

3. Osaka, Japan
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $3,062
Cup of Coffee: $7.02
One Gallon of Gasoline: $6.85
Fast-Food Meal: $8.29

4. Moscow, Russia
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $4,200
Cup of Coffee: $8.37
One Gallon of Gasoline: $3.67
Daily International Newspaper: $9.78
Fast-Food Meal: $6.70

5. Geneva, Switzerland
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $4,818
Cup of Coffee: $6.57
One Gallon of Gasoline: $7.46
Daily International Newspaper: $4.38
Fast-Food Meal: $12.59

6. Zurich, Switzerland (Tied)
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $3,614
Cup of Coffee: $6.02
One of Gallon Gasoline: $7.38
Daily International Newspaper: $4.38
Fast-Food Meal: $12.59

6. Singapore (Tied)

Singapore, like other Asian financial centers, has seen a big inflow of expatriates, which has pushed up the cost of housing and other living costs.

The city has been moving up Mercer’s most expensive cities list, rising two spots this year from eighth in 2011 and 11 th in 2010. Known for its high property prices and rents compared to the rest of Southeast Asia, Singapore is also an extremely expensive place to own a car. The permit to buy a new car can cost anywhere between $46,000 to over $67,000. Prices of these 10-year permits, known as Certificate of Entitlement (COE), have jumped 40 percent since the beginning of this year.

An average Toyota Vios subcompact costs $85,700 including the permit, up from about $60,000 at the beginning of the year, according to motoring website SGcarmart.com.

Given the steep cost of living in Singapore, expat salaries are also correspondingly high. According to a survey by HSBC more than half of expats in Singapore earned more than $200,000 in 2011, making it the country with the highest expat salaries in Asia. Expats in Singapore need to have larger incomes than their home countries to maintain their standard of living. About 82 percent of expats surveyed said they were more likely to spend more money on accommodation, while 65 percent said they would spend more on food in 2011 compared to the global average of around 50 percent.

Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $3,588
Cup of Coffee: $5.18
One Gallon of Gasoline: $6.55
Daily International Newspaper: $3.59
Fast-Food Meal: $5.66

8. N’ Djamena, Chad
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: N/A
Cup of Coffee: $3.32
One Gallon of Gasoline: $6.55
Daily International Newspaper: $6.85
Fast-Food Meal: $25.18

9. Hong Kong

Hong Kong, the only Chinese city or territory to make the top 10 list, has been ranked the ninth most expensive place to live for the past two years, falling from the eighth spot in 2010.

One of the most substantial increases in the cost of living in Hong Kong has been in renting property. The average monthly rent for a luxury two-bedroom apartment jumped around $1,300 from $5,800 in 2011 to almost $7,100 this year. As one of the most densely populated cities in the world with limited housing supply, average house prices have skyrocketed over 93 percent between 2006 and 2011 — making Hong Kong the world’s second-hottest property market, according to real estate consultancy Knight Frank.

Hong Kong’s reputation as a major global financial center remains a big draw for international businesses and expatriates, which in turn pushes up the cost of living. The cost of food and fuel has also gone up from last year with headline inflation jumping nearly 5 percent in April.

Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $7,092
Cup of Coffee: $6.83
One Gallon of Gasoline: $8.36
Daily International Newspaper: $3.61
Fast-Food Meal: $3.54

10. Nagoya, Japan
Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $2,551
Cup of Coffee: $6.38
One Gallon of Gasoline: $6.70
Fast-Food Meal: $8.42

CondoInterested
14-06-12, 23:14
Anyone has the list where Singapore stands in terms of the salary?

CCR
14-06-12, 23:24
How come Singapore rental prices, coffee prices so much cheaper but rank higher than hkg?

maisonjai
14-06-12, 23:48
The rankings are based on the cost of more than 200 items in each location including housing, transportation, food, clothing and entertainment.
Referring to private vehicle?

Wild Falcon
15-06-12, 10:02
Being the 6th most expensive city in the world should not be something we should be proud of. We are more expensive than most European cities huh? And our pay scale is no where near in same currency term with the same job and responsibilities.

Kelonguni
15-06-12, 10:10
Must look at the while package.

It strikes me as interesting that costs are so high on paper for expats but there are still choices if they come in.

Why is a cup of coffee at $6? Unless they do not regard coffeeshop coffee as coffee... Still have $1 or below.

If they take public transport or live near where they work, transport costs are also much lower.

I think SG govt tries to have differentiated living for all.

sh
15-06-12, 10:11
Being the 6th most expensive city in the world should not be something we should be proud of. We are more expensive than most European cities huh? And our pay scale is no where near in same currency term with the same job and responsibilities.

This is for expats with compensation allowance. These expats don't qualify for HDB, don't eat in Hawker centres, take MRT etc.... cannot compare with locals.:(

alwaysgreener
15-06-12, 11:10
As an ex-Pat who has lived in Singapore for > 10 years, I can vouch for the truth of these findings. Singapore is well on the way to losing its competitive edge for Asia ex-Pat postings due to the unsustainable inflation. Of course locals are also affected by this raging inflation, but as other posters have noted, they are better equipped to reduce its impact (having better knowledge about where & how to buy, better value-for-money meals, etc).

My personal view is that the greatest contributor to this inflation-spiral is the property bubble, and the expectation that every property should fetch more this year than last, regardless of any other economic factors. Its also the view that an apartment isn't a home, its an investment and can be flipped in the moment that it can bring the right price. This relentless demand for greater&greater returns by the landlords effects every facet of the economy, whether its the price your favorite restaurant has to charge for a meal, your barber charges for your cut, etc. And when prices are adjusted here in Singapore, they don't adjust upwards by the CPI, they jump 20-30% at a go.

If you then look at the home-tax burdens that various ex-Pat's countries place on them, despite Singapore's low personal income tax rate; the place is no longer viable for certain nationalities (especially U.S. ex-patriots who are forced to pay US Federal Income taxes on top of the local income taxes they have paid). The so-called high-earning US ex-pat earning in Singapore will always pay a total of the US nominal tax rate on his/her income (which at the US$200K level would approach 30-38%)...the 1st 20% going to Singapore, and the rest to Uncle Sam. So, high-cost of living + high total income tax rate = no sense for US Ex-Pat to come to Singapore (maybe that's a plus :ashamed1:)

AWG

blackjack21trader
15-06-12, 11:38
As an ex-Pat who has lived in Singapore for > 10 years, I can vouch for the truth of these findings. Singapore is well on the way to losing its competitive edge for Asia ex-Pat postings due to the unsustainable inflation. Of course locals are also affected by this raging inflation, but as other posters have noted, they are better equipped to reduce its impact (having better knowledge about where & how to buy, better value-for-money meals, etc). ....
.... So, high-cost of living + high total income tax rate = no sense for US Ex-Pat to come to Singapore (maybe that's a plus :ashamed1:)

AWG

Dear Brother AWG ! So happy you drop by our greatest property forum on Planet Earth ! As your humble but very handsome brother, I can tell from my third ESP eye that you are an American born in the land of the Free. ( Or Free spending ? Maybe )

I hope you can convert your US status to Singaporean citizen ASAP in light of the current economic tumor in the West and start to invest in an apartment here instead of renting.

As you can see from the above table, the cost of inflation is actually indirectly caused by property prices all over the globe. The only place on Planet Earth now that can counter that is the Singapore gahment ! Yes, they will keep your money safe in the bank here and ensure that there will not be any property bubble !

If you look at all the properties around the World, you see that right here, each Singapore property comes with the following package:

1) Efficient and effective medical attention and services
2) Good Education for your future generation
3) A SGD that will not run the risk of massive printing like USD, thereby countering future inflationary pressure
4) A price advantage of more than 14% stamp duties over foreigners
5) A CPF rate that is always above the Interbank rates .
6) A Government that ACT and not just TALK To the birds on the tree ONLY.
7) In the Center of the Next Global Growth Engine.

So, convert your DEMOCRATIC citizenship to a REPUBLICAN one NOW !

Good Luck :)

Yours Sincerely,
The Blackjack21trader- The Ultimate Singapore stock trader on Earth.

Kelonguni
15-06-12, 12:20
Dear Brother AWG ! So happy you drop by our greatest property forum on Planet Earth ! As your humble but very handsome brother, I can tell from my third ESP eye that you are an American born in the land of the Free. ( Or Free spending ? Maybe )

I hope you can convert your US status to Singaporean citizen ASAP in light of the current economic tumor in the West and start to invest in an apartment here instead of renting.

As you can see from the above table, the cost of inflation is actually indirectly caused by property prices all over the globe. The only place on Planet Earth now that can counter that is the Singapore gahment ! Yes, they will keep your money safe in the bank here and ensure that there will not be any property bubble !

If you look at all the properties around the World, you see that right here, each Singapore property comes with the following package:

1) Efficient and effective medical attention and services
2) Good Education for your future generation
3) A SGD that will not run the risk of massive printing like USD, thereby countering future inflationary pressure
4) A price advantage of more than 14% stamp duties over foreigners
5) A CPF rate that is always above the Interbank rates .
6) A Government that ACT and not just TALK To the birds on the tree ONLY.
7) In the Center of the Next Global Growth Engine.

So, convert your DEMOCRATIC citizenship to a REPUBLICAN one NOW !

Good Luck :)

Yours Sincerely,
The Blackjack21trader- The Ultimate Singapore stock trader on Earth.

Very humorous post.

Anyway USA citizens do not need to pay ABSD if I am not wrong. But considering that the same amount for MM apartments can procure mansions in their home countries, I doubt many would make this kind of jump.

CCR
15-06-12, 13:30
I think if Singaporean maintain it strategic location, then no matter how expensive it is, good pay jobs, MNC will have not choice but to place their HQ here...

Over time probably only high paying jobs will be here then and the low paying ones with manufacturing, etc will go elsewhere..

for examples, no matter how expensive London and NY is, most companies will have to be there if they are global... Actually I think that HKG is the one that should worry about losing competitiveness...

She is so China centric, if ever SHA buck up, then HKG will be in deep trouble.... While SIN can always leverage on being the middle man between China, India, Japan, Australia...

From my experience, so far Mainland Chinese will never talk to Indians directly...

So in the future we might reach a stage whereby Singapore will always be a transient place for people to come and make money....

blackjack21trader
15-06-12, 13:44
Very humorous post.

...... But considering that the same amount for MM apartments can procure mansions in their home countries, I doubt many would make this kind of jump.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/blackjack21trader/MORE-EX.jpg

WOAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA, you are the humorous one, brother :)

blackjack21trader
15-06-12, 13:50
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/blackjack21trader/MORE-EX2.jpg

WOAHAHAHAHAHHEHHEHEHHEHEHEHEH, Thanks for making my day, brother kelonguni :)

blackjack21trader
15-06-12, 13:54
I think if Singaporean maintain it strategic location, then no matter how expensive it is, good pay jobs, MNC will have not choice but to place their HQ here...

Over time probably only high paying jobs will be here then and the low paying ones with manufacturing, etc will go elsewhere..

for examples, no matter how expensive London and NY is, most companies will have to be there if they are global... Actually I think that HKG is the one that should worry about losing competitiveness...

She is so China centric, if ever SHA buck up, then HKG will be in deep trouble.... While SIN can always leverage on being the middle man between China, India, Japan, Australia...

From my experience, so far Mainland Chinese will never talk to Indians directly...

So in the future we might reach a stage whereby Singapore will always be a transient place for people to come and make money....

Totally agree, brother CCR. Very perceptive brother you are :)

Kelonguni
15-06-12, 15:48
WOAHAHAHAHAHHEHHEHEHHEHEHEHEH, Thanks for making my day, brother kelonguni :)

Eh brudder, AWG says he is from US, not UK leh. He gives taxes to Uncle Sam. Who is the joke on?

blackjack21trader
15-06-12, 19:03
Eh brudder, AWG says he is from US, not UK leh. He gives taxes to Uncle Sam. Who is the joke on?

woahahahhahah, the second USA one I posted above is even more EXPENSIVE leh.....the joke is on....on..... I dare not say leh...heheheheheheh

phantom_opera
15-06-12, 19:14
Why is a cup of coffee at $6? Unless they do not regard coffeeshop coffee as coffee... Still have $1 or below.

Even construction workers queue up for Toast Box kopi @ $1 in Changi City Point ... next one is Mc Cafe at $2.50, I would occasionally go for Cafe Ritazza at $6, Starbucks is way overpriced without quality

richwang
15-06-12, 21:00
http://www.worldsalaries.org/busdriver.shtml

No. 1 Australia PPP USD 2,382 (AUD 3,851)
No. 20 Singapore PPP USD 659 (SGD 1,239)

Thanks,
Richard

Kelonguni
16-06-12, 01:03
woahahahhahah, the second USA one I posted above is even more EXPENSIVE leh.....the joke is on....on..... I dare not say leh...heheheheheheh

In that case, we must be going into the discussion of landed vs non-landed and city vs suburbs.

Housing costs in these cities are "well under 250,000" USD as of 2011 June. I believe that they are all landed properties. But clueless and not confident to enter something on the other side of the globe.

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/cities-with-least-expensive-cost-of-living-2011/1.html

Note that Singapore GCB can also cost dozens of millions.