PDA

View Full Version : Taxi no airbag?

House
21-05-12, 22:00
Read from online news that ferrari/taxi accident.

NO AIRBAGs inside that sonata!!! :doh:

Can the deceased's family sue the taxi company?

Any lawyers in this forum care to give your opinion?

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20120520-347081.html

hyenergix
21-05-12, 22:11

At that speed, 10 airbags also no use. Actually better to die fast rather than be a vegetable. Some budget cars also don't have airbags...

House
21-05-12, 22:13
sonata do comes with airbags, it is very clear that it is due to the taxi companies cutting cost.

carbuncle
21-05-12, 22:58
At that speed, 10 airbags also no use. Actually better to die fast rather than be a vegetable. Some budget cars also don't have airbags...

Even if be vegetable choose to be a carrot.... At least still can afford to pay high price for ppty...

Douk
21-05-12, 23:03
:doh: The more we ask, the more expensive it gets. :doh: :doh:

zzz1
21-05-12, 23:21

Is there medatory to have air bags? If not, nn ground to sue..
Unless, it was factory fitted air bag but faulty or tempered with

azeoprop
22-05-12, 02:28
i think it is about time to have complusory air bags for all cars... just like seat belts.

Your head hitting a hard surface or glass vs hitting an airbag makes alot of difference.

:beats-me-man:

buttercarp
22-05-12, 09:31
How come most people are so surprised that taxis have no airbags?
I already know they don't have.
That's why I feel so insecure riding in a taxi.
The old taxis are like bone shakers and when the driver step on the brakes, I can sometimes feel it veer slightly. If not old taxi, then driver reckless.
Or driver falling off to sleep on long journey.
For long journey, I try to keep talking to the driver. The hotter the issue the better as it will keep him awake.

roly8
22-05-12, 09:54
there is no airbag on the side of the car..

and the incident is that the ferrari bang the car from the side..

how can the front air bag help?

carbuncle
22-05-12, 10:07
BYOB - Bring Your Own Bags

azeoprop
22-05-12, 10:08
Full suite of airbags including side curtain air bags are a standard for crash tests and almost a minimum standard for new cars sold in western europe.

So...why not in Singapore? :beats-me-man:

roly8
22-05-12, 10:19
probably can cut 20% of the cost for taxi company without airbag & other necessary stuffs..

azeoprop
22-05-12, 11:17
Prime Taxi, which has a fleet of 700, is the exception - all its taxis have airbags.

And it will introduce a new Toyota Prius model which will be fitted with six airbags for front passengers and drivers by the end of this month.

Its general manager, Mr Eric Ang, feels that continuous upgrades are necessary to ensure the safety of its drivers.

He said: "Of course, it (upgrading of safety features in taxis) is costly. But our drivers' safety is more important."

:47:

carbuncle
22-05-12, 11:31
Prime Taxi, which has a fleet of 700, is the exception - all its taxis have airbags.

And it will introduce a new Toyota Prius model which will be fitted with six airbags for front passengers and drivers by the end of this month.

Its general manager, Mr Eric Ang, feels that continuous upgrades are necessary to ensure the safety of its drivers.

He said: "Of course, it (upgrading of safety features in taxis) is costly. But our drivers' safety is more important."

:47:

Thumbs up. Fleet only 350 though according to taxisingapore.com, maybe not uodate.

Taxi company: Prime Car Rental & Taxi Services Pte Ltd (Prime Taxi)
Holding company: Prime Leasing Pte Ltd
Member of: Cheng Yong Group of Companies
Incorporated: August 2007
Brand: Prime
Colour: Copper
Fleet: 350

hopeful
22-05-12, 11:59
drivers important, so have airbags.
back passengers not important, so no airbags?
Most of the time, passengers seat behind.
Passengers are the ones paying the bills.

babyworm
23-05-12, 00:12
The Ferrari accident has highlighted safety for the taxi drivers in Singapore. True that no amount of airbags would have prevented the 3 casualties; with the Ferrari coming at ~140km/h. After all side impact and head on crash tests are only performed at 80km/h..

In Singapore, most of the taxi drivers are purely hirers, meaning they loan the taxis from the taxi companies for a fee. In this arrangement, the taxi drivers loan the right to ferry passengers on the roads, and in return pay the taxi company a fee for the tool (taxi). This purely a business transaction, not a job. In a job, you will get paid by the company.

Nevertheless, any respectable company should value safety as its top priority, be it for its customers or employees. Therefore I would urge the taxi drivers to take into serious consideration, that if a company does not value safety as one of its priorities, then please do not hire from them. Such companies do not give a damn to your well being.

buttercarp
23-05-12, 00:30
Therefore I would urge the taxi drivers to take into serious consideration, that if a company does not value safety as one of its priorities, then please do not hire from them. Such companies do not give a damn to your well being.

Then the taxi driver uncles will have only 1 choice.
How to survive liddat?

babyworm
23-05-12, 00:38
Then the taxi driver uncles will have only 1 choice.
How to survive liddat?

Making that right choice is also survival.