PDA

View Full Version : Architecture - pursuit of harmony or personal expression

phantom_opera
17-05-12, 09:58
I always find old architecture / old town in harmony and left me with deep feeling for it e.g. Venice in Italy, Lijiang in China, Santorini in Greece and Cambridge in the UK. The modern architecture, however, prefers personal expression and the wow factor.

Since Singapore is 80% HDBs which is meant to be low cost housing ... it is often dull, depressing and does not connect deeply with the dwellers .. the modern mass market PCs are no better ... boring, sian, blues

What do u think?

Wild Falcon
17-05-12, 10:09
Not sure what u mean. U mean HDB and mass-market condos do not "blend" with the surroundings? And modern tall "high-end" condos with all glass and box-like can blend? Do you really think those glass buildings are reflective of our culture and heritage? Do you think using of GLASS is appropriate for our tropical climate its just some blind copy of western ideas in colder countries? I actually think the older HDB flats are rather iconic and one of its kind around the world. When I see a HDB flat, I know its Singapore. Everytime I see those kitchens with those bamboo poles to dry the clothes, I find it very creative, make use of our hot climate to dry the clothes, and not just follow others blindly. Maybe we don't have "famous architect" in the past, but some of the older buildings definitely have more character than the current ones. I also like the idea of a "void deck" which is a concept or terminology only Singaporeans know and appreciate. Clearly the architects of yore think out of the box and not blindly copy others.

"HDB" and "mass market" condos are boring - but at least they have their distinct features. I find those glass boxes in singapore CBD the most boring - can replicate in any other country. Worse still, if u see those buildings, without the background, u won't even know where u are. Where is the heritage? I can be sure show me an old HDB flat without the background - And I can say with certainty this is Singapore. But sadly, these HDB flats will be torn down one day to be replaced by the "condo-lookalike" glass boxes - that is when we truly lose our identity.

Good architecture is not blind copycat.

carbuncle
17-05-12, 11:43
Pearl Bank is the true icon of Singapore. Not some stupid Pinnacle...

JohnTan
17-05-12, 11:47
I always find old architecture / old town in harmony and left me with deep feeling for it e.g. Venice in Italy, Lijiang in China, Santorini in Greece and Cambridge in the UK. The modern architecture, however, prefers personal expression and the wow factor.

Since Singapore is 80% HDBs which is meant to be low cost housing ... it is often dull, depressing and does not connect deeply with the dwellers .. the modern mass market PCs are no better ... boring, sian, blues

What do u think?

I personally like lijiang and venice and I agree with you, but iconic buildings like sky habitat and d leedon has no wow factor and suck big tme, relections has nice features and I am nuetral about Interlace.

slowly singaporeans will start to apreciate the outside of their buildings as much as the inside. Have you come across a house in singapore built the in the Lijiang style with zen gardens and modern funishings?

teddybear
17-05-12, 12:14
I think the reason is very simple - all about costs! Developers nowsadays seem to be all out to maximize profit than to build practical liveable houses with good ventilation and that can last aging and the look!

HDB flats are built with plain-line flat facades, because cheap to build with pre-fab materials. But HDB flats are public housing and sell at cheap price, so can't fault them.

Unforgiveable are private condos. Private condos used to have intricate facades, which potruding platforms that acts as rain and sun shelters and beautified to make the outside of the buildings look nice and elegent, but these are now all gone, replaced by plain straight-line flat facades of all glass walls (if you open your windows to sleep at night and it happened to rain, next morning you see your timber/parquet flooring all wet!).
Some developers now further "enhanced" with facades that can be crooked, slanted, "containers stacked upon each other", all of which are not practical at all but as a "special" buildings to sell at "premium" price! Again, ceiling to floor glass walls are the norm (reasons are obvious)! :doh:

What do u think?

House
17-05-12, 13:39
Anyone who looks at the golden mile complex.....many copycats nowadays including sky habitat:D

carbuncle
17-05-12, 13:58
Anyone who looks at the golden mile complex.....many copycats nowadays including sky habitat:D
Typewriter is nice before computers came on the scene.

phantom_opera
17-05-12, 14:10
I think pap has to realize that ppl only feel a sense of belonging when they can live in a harmonious environment, currently new building simply conflict with existing eg esplanade and high courts n Fullerton hotel are simply not harmonious

eng81157
17-05-12, 14:41
I think pap has to realize that ppl only feel a sense of belonging when they can live in a harmonious environment, currently new building simply conflict with existing eg esplanade and high courts n Fullerton hotel are simply not harmonious

eh eh, you joining in the feng shui bandwagon too??

phantom_opera
17-05-12, 21:38
eh eh, you joining in the feng shui bandwagon too??

Nothing to do with fengshui ... i am just talking about absence of "beautiful town" in Singapore

http://www.terragalleria.com/asia/china/lijiang/lijiang.all.html