PDA

View Full Version : Polling day May 26 2012!!!

price
09-05-12, 16:38
Rachel Chang
Nomination Day for the by-election to fill former Workers' Party MP Yaw Shin Leong's seat will be on May 16.

The writ of election was issued today by the President. By past precedent, nine days of campaigning will commence after, and Hougang voters should go to the polls on May 26.

Despite rampant speculation, PM Lee did not call for a by-election in any other constituency, limiting it to Hougang's 25,000 voters.

The Hougang seat became vacant after Mr Yaw was expelled from the WP on Feb 14 for refusing to account to the party leadership for his behaviour, including allegedly having extra-marital affairs.

stl67
09-05-12, 17:25
Rachel Chang
Nomination Day for the by-election to fill former Workers' Party MP Yaw Shin Leong's seat will be on May 16.

The writ of election was issued today by the President. By past precedent, nine days of campaigning will commence after, and Hougang voters should go to the polls on May 26.

Despite rampant speculation, PM Lee did not call for a by-election in any other constituency, limiting it to Hougang's 25,000 voters.

The Hougang seat became vacant after Mr Yaw was expelled from the WP on Feb 14 for refusing to account to the party leadership for his behaviour, including allegedly having extra-marital affairs.

Got public holiday?

maisonjai
09-05-12, 17:28
Hougang's PAP man to lobby for new market

Desmond Choo says he fully understands the concerns of residents

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_796876.html

wet market his strategy?

Lilyput
09-05-12, 18:26
Got public holiday?

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120509-344887.html

No public holiday

roly8
09-05-12, 18:32
so....

who will win hougang?

:cheers3:

ysyap
09-05-12, 18:37
V smelly leh when I read PM's writeup. Keep bashing WP saying they have let down the Hougang residents. I was thinking actually more like WP took YSL out so as not to let down the Hougang residents. Will be a close fight, I suspect...

insigina
09-05-12, 19:07
Hougang's PAP man to lobby for new market

Desmond Choo says he fully understands the concerns of residents

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_796876.html

wet market his strategy?

In the first place, it was they who took away the wet market. Now the same people say they "fully understand" the concerns of residents. How come they didn't understand their concerns when they took down the market 5 years ago? What has changed between then and now? If not for the by-election, will they have this full understanding today? I truly give up:banghead:

radha08
09-05-12, 19:32
Got public holiday?

only in hougang...:D

House
09-05-12, 20:54
In the first place, it was they who took away the wet market. Now the same people say they "fully understand" the concerns of residents. How come they didn't understand their concerns when they took down the market 5 years ago? What has changed between then and now? If not for the by-election, will they have this full understanding today? I truly give up:banghead:

same as joo chiat.....they let it turned into little geylang then claim the credit by "cleaning up" the place.:D

carbuncle
09-05-12, 21:59

Initially thought he quite droolicious.... Now. Even if he drop pants in front of me and back face me i also need to think twice.....

kevin888
11-05-12, 15:22
i am agree with stl67... enjoy the holiday lol:cheers4:

DC33_2008
11-05-12, 15:43
Look forward to the non-white rally.

ysyap
11-05-12, 15:47
Look forward to the non-white rally.Every GE, its the non white rally that draws the crowd wat... this time also no exception... now driver slap co-driver coz co-driver falling asleep? Lol! See what interesting illustration they can produce. :cool:

carbuncle
11-05-12, 15:57
Every GE, its the non white rally that draws the crowd wat... this time also no exception... now driver slap co-driver coz co-driver falling asleep? Lol! See what interesting illustration they can produce. :cool:

Mayb they take a leaf from Obama and say we support gay rights....

But i dont think too many gays in hougang... I probably the only gay in the village...

ysyap
11-05-12, 16:02
Mayb they take a leaf from Obama and say we support gay rights....

But i dont think too many gays in hougang... I probably the only gay in the village...So you are eligible to vote? Or u're not staying in Hougang SMC?

carbuncle
11-05-12, 16:07
So you are eligible to vote? Or u're not staying in Hougang SMC?

I in part of hougang but not within the area.... Sianzzz

carbuncle
16-05-12, 11:21
http://p.twimg.com/As_AIK8CAAEyujz.jpg

carbuncle
26-05-12, 16:15
As politikers wayang
Voters sway like lalang
No matter who's more garung
Hougang will always be Hougang
:cheers1:

rattydrama
26-05-12, 21:11
http://xiaxue.blogspot.com/2012/05/faces-of-haters.html

interesting blog.

buttercarp
26-05-12, 22:36
Just in...... Workers Party won the by election.

land118
26-05-12, 23:10
WP still win by big margin. Hougang residents seem to vote for WP and Low, doesn't seem to matter who they field in Hougang. NCMP seem to be a non issue. WP supporters show they are not bothered, more interested in heartland issues like wet market,etc.:2cents:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203784/1/.html

Png Eng Huat wins Hougang by-election
Posted: 26 May 2012 2232 hrs

SINGAPORE: Workers' Party's Png Eng Huat has won the Hougang by-election with 13,447 votes against PAP's Desmond Choo's 8,210 votes.

Mr Png won the single-seat constituency with 62.09% of the vote, against Mr Choo's 37.91%.

The Elections Department said that at the close of the poll, the total number of votes cast locally is 21,951 (inclusive of 294 rejected votes). This is 93.94% of the 23,368 registered electors in Hougang constituency.

The by-election was held to fill the seat vacated by former Member of Parliament Yaw Shin Leong, who was expelled from the Workers' Party following reports of his personal indiscretions.

Mr Yaw had won the seat in the May 2011 General Election with 64.8 per cent of the vote, against Mr Choo's 35.20 per cent.

- CNA/ir

hyenergix
27-05-12, 07:33
That's a major defeat for the ruling party. Looking at the caliber of candidates put up for election in 2011 and in 2012, you can tell there are not many good ones left to put up in 2016. It has to be very careful in all its current policies else more seats could be lost in 2016.

ysyap
27-05-12, 07:50
Time for further soul searching for the ruiling party. MRT major breakdown in Dec did not help their cause. Continued soaring housing prices surely has caused a further dent in their efforts to reclaim this SMC. Their major tactic during campaigning by DPM was just downright sad... continually attacking the character of the opposition. Voters probably wants to see and feel the fulfilment of promises given them, not just verbal spats. Now let's see how Mr Png respond to the mandate given him. :rolleyes:

hyenergix
27-05-12, 08:06
Another major policy flaw is this currently:

Singaporeans are now investing in overseas properties instead of channeling to better use locally. I would rather the government-linked banks increase interest rates to encourage savings and protect savers rather than making them risk their money in overseas properties. This can tame inflation and property craze as well.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
27-05-12, 08:28
People keep saying gimme this mandate gimme that mandate. Everyone wants a mandate. I lagi the only one who truly need a Man Date.

chiaberry
27-05-12, 10:41
Another major policy flaw is this currently:

Singaporeans are now investing in overseas properties instead of channeling to better use locally. I would rather the government-linked banks increase interest rates to encourage savings and protect savers rather than making them risk their money in overseas properties. This can tame inflation and property craze as well.

Agree. Overseas property investment is high risk. Have currency fluctuations, local rules and regulations and unscrupulous overseas agents to contend with. If buying in the UK there is a hefty estate duty (inheritance tax) which you have to be aware of (being an overseas buyer does not exempt you from this).

buttercarp
27-05-12, 12:30
People keep saying gimme this mandate gimme that mandate. Everyone wants a mandate. I lagi the only one who truly need a Man Date.

Carbuncle, why u change name?

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
27-05-12, 18:05
Carbuncle, why u change name?

Think this one more sensational and reflects me better than carb UNCLE! :doh: :scared-2: :tsk-tsk:

land118
28-05-12, 15:15
Tan Cheng Bock questions Rotary Club’s donation to Desmond Choo’s project in Hougang!

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=50151#1 (http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=50151#1)

Dr Tan Cheng Bock questions Rotary Club’s donation to Desmond Choo’s project in Hougang

Former PAP backbencher and presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock has questioned the Rotary Club’s $100,000 gift to PAP candidate for Hougang Desmond Choo on the eve of the Hougang by-election.

The Straits Times had earlier published an article on the Rotary Club’s pledging $100,000 to Desmond Choo to retrofit ageing toilets in Hougang.

“The Rotary Club is pledging a $100,000 gift to PAP candidate Desmond Choo’s initiative to retrofit ageing toilets in Hougang…. The club decided to make this donation after watching a video produced by a group named “The People for Desmond Choo”.”

http://temasektimes.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/tcbrotary.jpg

In a post on his Facebook, Dr Tan expressed his disappointment with the Rotary Club:

“Is the club taking a position in politics? Is it within the ambit of its constitution? I have always been a supporter of the Rotary Club but I was disappointed by this action.”

He also asked if the Rotary Club will now withhold the donation after Desmond Choo lost the by-election:

“Now that PAP Desmond lost to WP Png in the election, what is the Rotary Club’s stand? Is Rotary going to withhold the donation now that the official Member of Parliament Png Eng Huat is in charge of Hougang and he is from the opposition.”

Mr Choo has promised to continue serving in Hougang despite a second electoral defeat in a year.

DC33_2008
28-05-12, 15:23
Looking forward to the reply by Rotary Club :p .

alamak
28-05-12, 16:46
Looking forward to the reply by Rotary Club :p .

Ka nina, Why donate to HouGang Thru Desmond Choo Choo... ? To support Desmond Choo .. short of sayinmg endorsing Choo Choo. Why b4 that never donate to HouGang old folks ?? Donate to Choo Choo or to HouGang Old folks ??

You better owe up or your club philantrophic reputation flushed down the toilet of HouGang..

I c now ... It is just a rich man club for the purpose of promoting the rich n elite of MIW social class.

TCB, glad to say you are the rightful man for the PE.

DC33_2008
28-05-12, 17:13
PE have to say something. Cannot remain silent - silence means acceptance. :tsk-tsk:
Ka nina, Why donate to HouGang Thru Desmond Choo Choo... ? To support Desmond Choo .. short of sayinmg endorsing Choo Choo. Why b4 that never donate to HouGang old folks ?? Donate to Choo Choo or to HouGang Old folks ??

You better owe up or your club philantrophic reputation flushed down the toilet of HouGang..

I c now ... It is just a rich man club for the purpose of promoting the rich n elite of MIW social class.

TCB, glad to say you are the rightful man for the PE.

DC33_2008
28-05-12, 18:21
Bloomberg: 70 percent of jobs created in Singapore went to foreigners last year

Foreigners appeared to have benefited more from Singapore’s booming economy than Singaporeans, according to shocking statistics revealed by Bloomberg.

In an article published today, Bloomberg revealed the majority of jobs created in Singapore last year went to foreigners and not locals:

“Of the 122,600 jobs created in Singapore last year, about 70 percent, or 84,800 positions, went to foreigners.”

The percentage of jobs going to Singapore citizens is likely to be less as the country lumps citizens and PRs under the same category of ‘locals’ in all its statistics.

Despite the wide discrepancy in the number of new jobs going to Singaporeans and foreigners, Singapore’s unemployment rate remains low at around 2.5 percent.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
28-05-12, 18:39
No wonder more than 6 months and I'm still shaking leg with no suitable opportunities to speak of even...

I'm true blue Sinkie.

phantom_opera
28-05-12, 18:48
Is PAP 不知不觉忘记了,噢......方向

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubBDKL86rTA

我独自走过你身旁,并没有话要对你讲,
  我不敢抬头看着你,噢......脸庞.
  你问我要去向何方,我指着大海的方向,
  你的惊奇像是给我,噢......赞扬.
  你带我走进你的花房,我无法逃脱花的迷香,
  我不知不觉忘记了,噢......方向,
  你说我世上最坚强,我说你世上最善良,
  我不知不觉已和花儿,噢......一样
  你要我留在这地方,你要我和它们一样,
  我看着你默默地说,噢......不能这样,
  我想要回到老地方,我想要走在老路上,
  这时我才知我已离不开你!噢......姑娘!
  我就要回到老地方,我就要走在老路上,
  我明知我已离不开你!噢......姑娘!

崔健的这首《花房姑娘》和他的其他作品如《新长征路上的摇滚》等等,在80年代和90年代曾经风靡中国大地,是如今很多60后,70后的人们记忆犹新的摇滚作品。《花房姑娘》吉他和弦优美的弹奏,以及后半段吉他与萨克斯的联袂演奏,加上崔健沙哑而充满穿透力的演唱,让人沉醉,让人感动。

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
28-05-12, 18:57
No. It's Yaw Shin Long 无法逃脱花的迷香 :cheers5:

sh
28-05-12, 19:12
Bloomberg: 70 percent of jobs created in Singapore went to foreigners last year

Foreigners appeared to have benefited more from Singapore’s booming economy than Singaporeans, according to shocking statistics revealed by Bloomberg.

In an article published today, Bloomberg revealed the majority of jobs created in Singapore last year went to foreigners and not locals:

“Of the 122,600 jobs created in Singapore last year, about 70 percent, or 84,800 positions, went to foreigners.”

The percentage of jobs going to Singapore citizens is likely to be less as the country lumps citizens and PRs under the same category of ‘locals’ in all its statistics.

Despite the wide discrepancy in the number of new jobs going to Singaporeans and foreigners, Singapore’s unemployment rate remains low at around 2.5 percent.

Landlords huat ah!:cheers4: