PDA

View Full Version : Singaporean loses HDB flat as foreign wife runs away

carbuncle
08-05-12, 16:32
Billy (not his real name) is a 41 year old Singaporean male, who married a foreign spouse. After marrying him, she obtained permanent residency (PR) status. Subsequently, she left Singapore on a flight to Los Angeles in 2007, and has not been contactable since. Her PR status has also lapsed.

As Billy has not been able to earn enough due to business failure to pay for his HDB 3-room resale flat mortgage, he has been served with a Notice of Vesting & To Take Possession. The compulsory acquisition compensation at 90 per cent of valuation is $229,000.

However, according to Billy, the valuation for his flat is about $330,000, excluding cash-over-valuation (COV). Since his wife is a joint tenant of the flat, he is unable to sell or rent out his flat. She did not contribute a single cent for the flat or the household expenses.

Despite numerous communications and appeals to the HDB, Legal Aid Bureau and his Member of Parliament (MP), his flat will now be repossessed on 16 May, as per the HDB's final communication to him on 2 May. Billy said "What's the point of everybody keep asking me to appeal, when I always face rejection all the time?"

Because of the low acquisition compensation of $229,000, Billy is unable to buy even the cheapest resale 2-room flat in the open market. If he can get his flat's current valuation of about $330,000 plus COV, it is likely that he may be able to buy a resale 2-room flat.

Recently, Billy was denied his right to vote in the Home Improvement Programme (HIP) for his block, as the letter said that: "Please note that you are not eligible to vote because you are served the Notice of Intention due to mortgage arrears." "However, you will be required to pay the cost of the HIP and LUP works if the poll for the HIP and LUP works are successful."

/toc

phantom_opera
08-05-12, 16:48
Such is the sad story of Singapore middle class ... when things go wrong ... the system has no mercy

alamak
08-05-12, 17:00
Billy (not his real name) is a 41 year old Singaporean male, who married a foreign spouse. After marrying him, she obtained permanent residency (PR) status. Subsequently, she left Singapore on a flight to Los Angeles in 2007, and has not been contactable since. Her PR status has also lapsed.

As Billy has not been able to earn enough due to business failure to pay for his HDB 3-room resale flat mortgage, he has been served with a Notice of Vesting & To Take Possession. The compulsory acquisition compensation at 90 per cent of valuation is $229,000.

However, according to Billy, the valuation for his flat is about $330,000, excluding cash-over-valuation (COV). Since his wife is a joint tenant of the flat, he is unable to sell or rent out his flat. She did not contribute a single cent for the flat or the household expenses.

Despite numerous communications and appeals to the HDB, Legal Aid Bureau and his Member of Parliament (MP), his flat will now be repossessed on 16 May, as per the HDB's final communication to him on 2 May. Billy said "What's the point of everybody keep asking me to appeal, when I always face rejection all the time?"

Because of the low acquisition compensation of $229,000, Billy is unable to buy even the cheapest resale 2-room flat in the open market. If he can get his flat's current valuation of about $330,000 plus COV, it is likely that he may be able to buy a resale 2-room flat.

Recently, Billy was denied his right to vote in the Home Improvement Programme (HIP) for his block, as the letter said that: "Please note that you are not eligible to vote because you are served the Notice of Intention due to mortgage arrears." "However, you will be required to pay the cost of the HIP and LUP works if the poll for the HIP and LUP works are successful."

/toc

Moral of the story -

as HDB flat Owner plse note you are just as lessee of your half-million $$ flat for 99 years and HDB being the lessor (landlord) - own your pigeon hole even after you are settled all your outstanding 30 years loan. You don't own any strata or title deed. You only have a copy of a mortgage deed after you settled your loan. HDB can throw you out if you violate the rules eg illegal sub-subletting etc. But funny thing is that you still pay maintenance for your landlord ...:doh:

rattydrama
08-05-12, 17:23
this is really a sad story. he has a kid? Could he rent out one room and still secure the flat for self stay?

carbuncle
08-05-12, 17:33
I have a diff point of view on this. How can his own valuation vs the official assignee differ so much?

With 229k he can't get anything decent? I seriously doubt so.... 330k 3rm is for those matured hot locations isnt it.

ay123
08-05-12, 17:37
tot such case is very rare. HDB will not repossess unless really needed. tats why so many flat owner continue to stay there even they cannot afford. if such thing happen and resulted someone to be homeless and is in media. govt sure kana hamtam by opposition for not showing mercy.

land118
08-05-12, 18:07
tot such case is very rare. HDB will not repossess unless really needed. tats why so many flat owner continue to stay there even they cannot afford. if such thing happen and resulted someone to be homeless and is in media. govt sure kana hamtam by opposition for not showing mercy.Should call New Paper to cover his story if this is true. Get some publicity, see MP. With that, HDB may have to scrutinise the case carefully, and help him with some interim solution...:2cents:

carbuncle
08-05-12, 19:08
~ By Leong Sze Hian ~

Sorry forgot to credit the writer. Taken from TOC

Mr.Keh
08-05-12, 21:08

/toc

$229,000 is definitely way below value for a 3 room flat in the current market. Wonder how HDB came about with the figure.

carbuncle
08-05-12, 21:44
$229,000 is definitely way below value for a 3 room flat in the current market. Wonder how HDB came about with the figure.

U r right. I did a quick search on propguru and most are like 275k and abv

thomastansb
08-05-12, 22:27
If HDB allow him to make decision, how are they going to answer to the wife if she comes back?

Many people are saying HDB heartless but this is our law. If we bend the law for this case, then Singapore will lose the credibility.

And no case by case basis. The wife own half, period. Even 1% ownership, cannot sell means cannot sell. And who ask this man to earn so little until cannot afford to pay? Do business is like this one. High risk, high gain. He can work 2 jobs and can still pay his installment. I don't see what is the problem. Looks like a lazy man complaining here.

/toc

hyenergix
08-05-12, 23:06
If HDB allow him to make decision, how are they going to answer to the wife if she comes back?

Many people are saying HDB heartless but this is our law. If we bend the law for this case, then Singapore will lose the credibility.

And no case by case basis. The wife own half, period. Even 1% ownership, cannot sell means cannot sell. And who ask this man to earn so little until cannot afford to pay? Do business is like this one. High risk, high gain. He can work 2 jobs and can still pay his installment. I don't see what is the problem. Looks like a lazy man complaining here.

He still earns if e flat is BTO. HDB is prob scare of pp using foreign spouse to make $ from HDB i.e. fake marriages.

howgozit
09-05-12, 00:03

$229k is 90% of valuation.... ie. valuation should be abt $255k... without COV is that very far off from market value?

howgozit
09-05-12, 00:09
He still earns if e flat is BTO. HDB is prob scare of pp using foreign spouse to make $ from HDB i.e. fake marriages.

Precisely... there is no mention of how much he paid for it. We don't know the full picture.. it could be that he thought he could pull a fast one with HDB with a fake marriage in order to secure a HDB flat

A lot of missing info in the story deliberately to paint HDB in a bad light... I believe nobody has ever been evicted from HDB for arrears in mortgage...

carbuncle
09-05-12, 12:23
$229k is 90% of valuation.... ie. valuation should be abt $255k... without COV is that very far off from market value?

U r right. Thats why i stated earlier this writeup abit fishy.... Plus u knw la come from TOC mostly is left wing