PDA

View Full Version : What is your TOP 3 favourite LOCAL food...

radha08
05-05-12, 15:34
Ha Ha....everyday talk about house become hungry...:D

later sending my daughter to tution at roxy square then while waiting for her will wack a plate of char kway teow at marine parade hawker centre the one next to parkway....:D:D:D

but seriously my top 3 favourite local food are

1) Chicken rice
2) Nasi briyani
3) Chinese Rojak

ahh how lovely is singapore...EAT EAT EAT

carbuncle
05-05-12, 15:38

later sending my daughter to tution at roxy square then while waiting for her will wack a plate of char kway teow at marine parade hawker centre the one next to parkway....:D:D:D

but seriously my top 3 favourite local food are

1) Chicken rice
2) Nasi briyani
3) Chinese Rojak

The peanut sauce one right? Yum. For me,
1. Rojak, lots of yu za kueh
2. Satay
3. Wan ton mee

radha08
05-05-12, 15:48
ha ha...NO MATTER HOW MANY FT invade singapore at least OUR local FOOD will never dissapear.....:D:D:D

carbuncle
05-05-12, 15:54
ha ha...NO MATTER HOW MANY FT invade singapore at least OUR local FOOD will never dissapear.....:D:D:D
Says who.... A lot taken over by PRC or Malaysian.... The younger generation like to open theme cafe etc and even if take over hawker like to convert to western fusion and whatever cock cuisine only they themselves can appreciate. Oh. And then slap on $8 price tag...

radha08
05-05-12, 15:57
Says who.... A lot taken over by PRC or Malaysian.... The younger generation like to open theme cafe etc and even if take over hawker like to convert to western fusion and whatever cock cuisine only they themselves can appreciate. Oh. And then slap on $8 price tag...

i talking about NEIGHBOURHOOD HDB markets la....bedok/marine parade/east coast lagoon/bedok corner....all these my favourite...all those rubbish foodcourt FORGET it...;)

radha08
05-05-12, 15:59
TIP: those whole love briyani try the geylang market OPPOSITE joo chiat complex....U be spoilt for choice...:spliff:

carbuncle
05-05-12, 16:02
i talking about NEIGHBOURHOOD HDB markets la....bedok/marine parade/east coast lagoon/bedok corner....all these my favourite...all those rubbish foodcourt FORGET it...;)
Seriously how many young ones will take over parents stall.... Maybe with the recent news graduate marry chicken rice seller will help a bit.... Wakaka thats why got serious discussions on preserving hawker culture...

buttercarp
05-05-12, 16:08
Chicken rice (the Bedok reservoir one).
Chwee kway ( the jurong west one).
Rendang ( from Glory).

azeoprop
05-05-12, 16:46
Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee is my No1

:D

rymccondo77
05-05-12, 16:54
My 3 Selections:

(1) Laksa - Roxy Laksa at East Coast Park

(2) Nasi Briyani - At Tekka Market

(3) Char Siew Wanton Noodle - Like the one at Blk 504A (Multi Storey Car Park Blk) Coffee Shop, Serangoon North Ave 4

P.S. Memorable mentions - Char Kway Teow & Fried Hokkien Mee.

howgozit
05-05-12, 17:20
Briyani, Satay, Chicken Rice, Wanton Mee all not uniquely Singaporean leh... our neighbours up North always claim this to be theirs.

My choice of Singapore food

1. Hokkien Mee - Singapore version, the Malaysian version is a totally different animal

2. Laksa - Malaysia calls it curry mee... but the cooking method and taste is different. Don't even mention Penang Laksa.... miles apart.

3. Mee Pok Tah - those with fishball and bakcchor like the Jln Tua Kong Lau Lim type...I don't think I have ever found mee pok in Malaysia, this dish is truly uniquely Singapore.

heroes
05-05-12, 17:40
My choice :
1. Prawn noodle (tyhe hong)
2. Chicken rice (tian tian)
3. Fish ball noodle : dry with chili (ion food opera)
And chili crabs :D

radha08
05-05-12, 18:03
Just had a plate of fresh cockle kway teow at apolo stall at marine
Parade food centre.....i got to go back and EXERCISE....:D. ...i looked at
The plate of kway teow for 10seconds and asked myself DO you really want
To eat this.....ha ha ha cleaned the plate...now i feel so guilty

:doh:

rymccondo77
05-05-12, 18:09

(1) Used to stay in Marine Parade and ate that Char Kway Teow quite regularly.

Your post brings back tasty memories :cheers6: And no need to feel guility la ... can induige once in a while in "sinful" food :cheers6:

(2) Chicken Rice, Nasi Bryani, Satay, etc - perhaps not uniquely Singapore, but they have become so much part and parcel of food that Singaporeans love to eat, that they are considered as part of local food cuisine.

buttercarp
05-05-12, 18:33

I can't seem to find nice char kway teow in Singapore. The one at Old airport road food centre reputed to be very good but I was utterly disappointed after queueing up for it for 30 min. Ate only 1/4 of it.
Perhaps I prefer Penang Char Kway teow but I have yet to find a good one. To be able to eat this type of high caloried food, it must be excellent, otherwise it is not worth the calories.

Douk
05-05-12, 20:19
I can't seem to find nice char kway teow in Singapore. The one at Old airport road food centre reputed to be very good but I was utterly disappointed after queueing up for it for 30 min. Ate only 1/4 of it.
Perhaps I prefer Penang Char Kway teow but I have yet to find a good one. To be able to eat this type of high caloried food, it must be excellent, otherwise it is not worth the calories.

Bedok south fried kway teow?

buttercarp
05-05-12, 20:20
Bedok south fried kway teow?
Also don't like.

radha08
05-05-12, 20:43
Also don't like.

try THIS...I like it...:D

http://lovesingaporefood.blogspot.com/2008/07/apollo-fresh-cockle-fried-kway-teow.html

radha08
05-05-12, 20:45
Chicken rice (the Bedok reservoir one).
Chwee kway ( the jurong west one).
Rendang ( from Glory).

chicken rice is that the BIG coffee shop next to sheng siong/ntuc...:confused:

buttercarp
05-05-12, 20:51
chicken rice is that the BIG coffee shop next to sheng siong/ntuc...:confused:

No lah.... That coffee shop cmi.
I am referring to Sheng Kee chicken rice at blk 704 Bedok reservoir rd, opposite archipelago.
Owner was formerly from chatterbox.
The chicken almost like last time my grandma cook one.

Douk
05-05-12, 20:54
Chicken rice, roast duck at tanjong katong.

buttercarp
05-05-12, 20:55
try THIS...I like it...:D

http://lovesingaporefood.blogspot.com/2008/07/apollo-fresh-cockle-fried-kway-teow.html

Many years ago this was my parent's favourite too.
I probably ate there as a child but I can't remember the taste.
Got phobia of trying cos the so called good ones turned out to be a fiasco.
But since u recommend, I will try it.:)

Laguna
05-05-12, 21:22

Apollo? I prefer the old way of cooking, the wet version, it was so much better than now.

I avoid eating outside as far as possible for better health.

radha08
05-05-12, 21:25
No lah.... That coffee shop cmi.
I am referring to Sheng Kee chicken rice at blk 704 Bedok reservoir rd, opposite archipelago.
Owner was formerly from chatterbox.
The chicken almost like last time my grandma cook one.

tks for the tip...i always in search for good chicken rice its a staple food for my kids...i thought that chatterbox dude opened up in downtown east...:confused:

radha08
05-05-12, 21:27
Many years ago this was my parent's favourite too.
I probably ate there as a child but I can't remember the taste.
Got phobia of trying cos the so called good ones turned out to be a fiasco.
But since u recommend, I will try it.:)

dont go out of your way to try but if your in the area...DROP by...:D....wash it down with fresh sugarcane juice with lime and then have a Cendol for desert..Mama Mia...:D

radha08
05-05-12, 21:29
one of my colleagues told me this place is heavenly he qued 30mins to get his fix...:scared-1:

http://www.kayleeroastmeatjoint.com/

buttercarp
05-05-12, 21:30
tks for the tip...i always in search for good chicken rice its a staple food for my kids...i thought that chatterbox dude opened up in downtown east...:confused:
There were 3 of them apparently.
http://www.soshiok.com/article/10684

radha08
05-05-12, 21:34
There were 3 of them apparently.
http://www.soshiok.com/article/10684
omg...tks i learnt something new today...:D

radha08
05-05-12, 21:37
oh by the way i GREW up on the ORIGINAL swee kee at middle road...that was heaven...

http://www.soshiok.com/article/10685

buttercarp
05-05-12, 21:45
oh by the way i GREW up on the ORIGINAL swee kee at middle road...that was heaven...

http://www.soshiok.com/article/10685

I did not quite fancy hainanese chicken rice when I was young as I had to eat it every week when I visited my grandma. She would go to the coop n catch a chicken. Now I want also cannot liao.

buttercarp
05-05-12, 21:54
Bro radha08, I heard katong shopping centre basement got very good chicken rice. But I haven't tried it yet.
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/splash.php

radha08
05-05-12, 22:13
Bro radha08, I heard katong shopping centre basement got very good chicken rice. But I haven't tried it yet.
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/splash.php

oh ya not too bad right at the corner in basement the small foodcourt...if u ever need to get stuff photocopied katong SC is D place...:D

howgozit
05-05-12, 22:21
I did not quite fancy hainanese chicken rice when I was young as I had to eat it every week when I visited my grandma. She would go to the coop n catch a chicken. Now I want also cannot liao.

Hmm..... so you are an "Ah Mai..."

buttercarp
05-05-12, 22:50
Hmm..... so you are an "Ah Mai..."

How you know which grandma?

howgozit
05-05-12, 22:59
How you know which grandma?

doesn't matter does it?

if either your father is an "Ah Ko" or if your mother is an "Ah Mai" it would automatically make you an "Ah Mai"

buttercarp
05-05-12, 23:04
doesn't matter does it?

if either your father is an "Ah Ko" or if your mother is an "Ah Mai" it would automatically make you an "Ah Mai"

If father is not an "ah ko", then i not "ah mai" leh.

sh
05-05-12, 23:42
I like chai tao kway... Black or white, both also good....:p

As long as don't become chai tao...:tongue3:

howgozit
06-05-12, 00:18
If father is not an "ah ko", then i not "ah mai" leh.

Ok... if you say so...

Regulators
06-05-12, 01:57
Char kway teow, hokkien mee and oyster omelette

Laguna
06-05-12, 09:36

The one at old airport road is too oily. The char kway teow at Penang is superb. There was once, I had lunch and dinner, all char kway teow in Penang for a few days.....

Chicken rice, roast duck at tanjong katong.

this is good, like their roast pork

http://www.soshiok.com/article/10685 (http://www.soshiok.com/article/10685)

not so shiok now

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/splash.php (http://www.hungrygowhere.com/splash.php)

the quality of rice is very poor

buttercarp
06-05-12, 12:05
the quality of rice is very poor

I heard that the katong shopping centre chicken rice got a strange yellow hue?
Oh I tried Tian Tian at Joo Chiat few days ago.
The rice was good and big grained.
But I think the chef put too much MSG.
Also I find the chicken at Tian Tian slightly above average only.
1 plate costs $3.80 but it is huge and I can only eat half of it.

Btw, also tried wee nam kee at I12 katong- total disappointment- expensive and average only.

howgozit
06-05-12, 12:21
I heard that the katong shopping centre chicken rice got a strange yellow hue?
Oh I tried Tian Tian at Joo Chiat few days ago.
The rice was good and big grained.
But I think the chef put too much MSG.
Also I find the chicken at Tian Tian slightly above average only.
1 plate costs $3.80 but it is huge and I can only eat half of it.

Btw, also tried wee nam kee at I12 katong- total disappointment- expensive and average only.

I find Tian Tian way over rated.... especially the sauce that they slather over the chicken... overwhelming... can't taste the chicken only the sauce.

But hey... that's just me... btw I think the chicken rice standard in Singapore is quite high already so even when you any old how pick, its still hard to find any chicken rice that totally CMI.

radha08
06-05-12, 12:58
Strange no mention of boon tong kee or 5 star chicken rice there is
Also one chicken rice stall at changi village opposite the cheers store
At changi village...honestly i think chicken rice is singapores
Most popular hawker food everywhere can find..

buttercarp
06-05-12, 13:16
Strange no mention of boon tong kee or 5 star chicken rice there is
Also one chicken rice stall at changi village opposite the cheers store
At changi village...honestly i think chicken rice is singapores
Most popular hawker food everywhere can find..

Five star used to be my favorite 20 years ago.
Now I find it too salty n laden with MSG.
Boon tong kee I have not tried for a long long time cos each time I wanna try, five star is just few shops away n we end up eating there.
The changi village one is at the coffee shop, right? Some tiong bahru chicken rice? Yup that one is delicious.

buttercarp
06-05-12, 15:54
Recently I discovered one of the best Malay food ever in Blk 1 East Coast Road, opposite Siglap Centre, next to Framer's Choice.
The row of flats that are due for SERS.
There are 2 Malay ladies selling food there.
Wonder how long the stall has been there.

radha08
06-05-12, 19:35
Recently I discovered one of the best Malay food ever in Blk 1 East Coast Road, opposite Siglap Centre, next to Framer's Choice.

Ya i seen that stall but never tried seems quite crowded...will check it out...

buttercarp
06-05-12, 19:40
Ya i seen that stall but never tried seems quite crowded...will check it out...

Most people tah pao cos few seats available.
Actually I tot it Did not look appetizing.
One day I was on the way and wanted to eat at the opposite FUlin yong tau foo. After I parked my car there was a downpour, since I was just outside the stall, I decided to give it a try. I did not know such a humble looking stall can serve such wondrous food!

howgozit
06-05-12, 19:49
That would be Jamal restaurant... they have pretty good briyani... and I think they've gone 24hrs too.

Wonder what will take the 4 block's place after SERS... many say MRT station but the area seems a bit congested to accomodate one... but then who nows? they've managed to squeeze one in Holland.. In any case, it won't be another HDB, building height restrictions makes it not feasible.

buttercarp
06-05-12, 19:56
That would be Jamal restaurant... they have pretty good briyani... and I think they've gone 24hrs too.

Wonder what will take the 4 block's place after SERS... many say MRT station but the area seems a bit congested to accomodate one... but then who nows? they've managed to squeeze one in Holland.. In any case, it won't be another HDB, building height restrictions makes it not feasible.
No, not Jamal.
Jamal is the Indian stall at block 2 which serves nasi Bryani, prata, etc.
This one is in blk 1, the corner shop next to the drain.
This Malay stall serves nasi padang.

zzz1
06-05-12, 20:37

that is how i gain weight over time, pack some fav cook while waiting for my kids' swimming, tuition classes...and every week my TOP 3 changes...

:D :D :D

howgozit
06-05-12, 21:51
Oh... I see the nasi campur stall.... yes pretty good.

No, not Jamal.
Jamal is the Indian stall at block 2 which serves nasi Bryani, prata, etc.
This one is in blk 1, the corner shop next to the drain.
This Malay stall serves nasi padang.

radha08
06-05-12, 22:14
Most people tah pao cos few seats available.
Actually I tot it Did not look appetizing.
One day I was on the way and wanted to eat at the opposite FUlin yong tau foo. After I parked my car there was a downpour, since I was just outside the stall, I decided to give it a try. I did not know such a humble looking stall can serve such wondrous food!

oh ya that yong tau foo supposed to be quite happening...now they open in the evening and strangely they serve rice with the ytf:confused:....

hope yowetan is reading this thread after his failed bid at Flamingo Valley at least he can walk down and have good food...:D:D:D

radha08
06-05-12, 22:15
Oh... I see the nasi campur stall.... yes pretty good.
IMHO opinion geylang MKT opposite Joo Chiat Complex got the bESTEST nasi campur...:cheers1:

darkseid
07-05-12, 20:41
Have u guys tried the chicken rice stall in Chinatown market? I forgotten the name. Always have Long Q and the rice is in small little bowl.

For char Kwai Teow, what about hill street char Kay Teow at bedok south market? But they use a lot of lard.

buttercarp
07-05-12, 22:20
Have u guys tried the chicken rice stall in Chinatown market? I forgotten the name. Always have Long Q and the rice is in small little bowl.

For char Kwai Teow, what about hill street char Kay Teow at bedok south market? But they use a lot of lard.

Have not tried the Chinatown Chicken rice yet.
Btw, the Bedok South Food Centre has closed for renovation.
Is there a makeshift food centre?
I personally don't like that char kway teow as i find it too oily, wet and sweet.

darkseid
07-05-12, 22:28
I personally don't like that char kway teow as i find it too oily, wet and sweet.

Ops. Bedok south or bedok north? The one near to temasek school?

radha08
08-05-12, 20:16

bedok south market the one at Blk 60...MEE REBUS...BAGUS...:D

buttercarp
08-05-12, 20:37
bedok south market the one at Blk 60...MEE REBUS...BAGUS...:D

I tot is Blk 16?

Ops. Bedok south or bedok north? The one near to temasek school?

Both bedok north and south food centre are closed for reno.

http://sglinks.com/pages/2716545-bedok-blocks-food-centres-get-facelifts

Douk
08-05-12, 20:43
Blk 69 bedok south, Mua Ji.

radha08
09-05-12, 08:31
I tot is Blk 16?

Both bedok north and south food centre are closed for reno.

http://sglinks.com/pages/2716545-bedok-blocks-food-centres-get-facelifts

tis d one...

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/selera_kita/

buttercarp
09-05-12, 08:46
tis d one...

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/selera_kita/

Oh, ok..... thanks, another place to try out!
Last time when young used to follow my mother there for marketing.

howgozit
09-05-12, 09:28

I am a frequent patron of this market and this stall.... Selera is very popular with long queues in the morning and lunchtime... but IMHO it is only so-so...

... I would say the main attraction of the stall is its price... it starts at $1.20. This is very attractive for the cost conscious Bedokians. This area plenty of retirees...

radha08
09-05-12, 10:52

yup not far from where u used to stay...just across the road blk 66/67/68...:D

buttercarp
09-05-12, 11:38
yup not far from where u used to stay...just across the road blk 66/67/68...:D

Wow... radha08... u have very good memory!
I don't even remember mentioning staying in one of those blocks, but yes... i lived in Blk 68 many years ago.
It was so peaceful then.
There were no condos in front and we had full seaview.
Also there was a bungalow with a huge plot of land in front.

radha08
09-05-12, 21:21
Wow... radha08... u have very good memory!
I don't even remember mentioning staying in one of those blocks, but yes... i lived in Blk 68 many years ago.
It was so peaceful then.
There were no condos in front and we had full seaview.
Also there was a bungalow with a huge plot of land in front.

yup u mentioned in one of the earlier threads how can i forget my HDB highly developed block is opposite blk 68 next to temasek pri...LOVELY area...BEST in bedok...;)

radha08
18-05-12, 17:31
Yo sis buttercarp....thank you for ur recomendations i have tried the siglap nasi campur and the bedok res chicken rice.....both are...YUMMY...:cheers1:

buttercarp
18-05-12, 19:45
Yo sis buttercarp....thank you for ur recomendations i have tried the siglap nasi campur and the bedok res chicken rice.....both are...YUMMY...:cheers1:

It's great that you enjoyed both stalls.
I really like the small slices of tempeh and the sayor lodeh from the Siglap stall, and not to mention their sambal..... all so authentic malay style.

radha08
18-05-12, 20:28
It's great that you enjoyed both stalls.
I really like the small slices of tempeh and the sayor lodeh from the Siglap stall, and not to mention their sambal..... all so authentic malay style.

was sitting at blk 704 having chicken rice and THINKING how nice it would be to have a unit at archipelago...;) ...but thats just me every coffeshop i sit at with good food i want to buy an apt nearby...:doh: ..ha ha

buttercarp
18-05-12, 22:53
was sitting at blk 704 having chicken rice and THINKING how nice it would be to have a unit at archipelago...;) ...but thats just me every coffeshop i sit at with good food i want to buy an apt nearby...:doh: ..ha ha

Everytime I pass by Archipelago, my heart skips a beat.
I feel so attracted and thrilled.
I fantasize myself staying in the penthouse there on weekends and enjoying a packet of chicken rice in the balcony overlooking the reservoir and the lush greenery.
But these are just fantasies..........:o

buttercarp
18-05-12, 23:14
Oh dear..... got accident along Bedok reservoir road outside waterfront waves condo .....can't see much but got fire engine, police car and ambulance. The whole road is congested.