PDA

View Full Version : HDB flat are not becoming smaller?

FilthyRich
03-05-12, 10:02
HDB flat are not becoming smaller? Says Khaw Boon Wan.

In fact, sizes of HDB flats have been the same for the past 15 years.

And Singapore will not go the way of Hong Kong, where flats are far smaller.

However even so, why is there the false impression of decreasing size of public houses?

House expensive?
Ppl buy smaller house so think that house become smaller? :rolleyes:

eng81157
03-05-12, 10:04
HDB flat are not becoming smaller? Says Khaw Boon Wan.

In fact, sizes of HDB flats have been the same for the past 15 years.

And Singapore will not go the way of Hong Kong, where flats are far smaller.

However even so, why is there the false impression of decreasing size of public houses?

House expensive?
Ppl buy smaller house so think that house become smaller? :rolleyes:

HDB confirmed that flats have shrunk in size over the years

http://www.valuebuddies.com/thread-1641.html

pinkpolkadot
03-05-12, 10:06
May be Khaw Boon Wan has never stayed in a HDB before.

gn108
03-05-12, 10:08
Maybe he still wearing his Health Minister cap and say we have got fatter/taller- so HDB flat seems smaller.

May be Khaw Boon Wan has never stayed in a HDB before.

FilthyRich
03-05-12, 10:14
Maybe he still wearing his Health Minister cap and say we have got fatter/taller- so HDB flat seems smaller.

LOL.... good explanation.
Singaporean Too well fed.

PN
03-05-12, 10:19

Eat too much fast food? :D

peterng8
03-05-12, 10:30
no lah, he trying to say before he takeover the hat, the flat is already this size, he just built more instead of shrinking more..."Honey I never shrunk the kids" :D

ikan bilis
03-05-12, 11:00
i agree with him 100% "HDB flat are not becoming smaller"...
it is just due to over the time, the measuring ruler and tape grow longer/bigger....

:scared-3: :scared-3:

eng81157
03-05-12, 11:09
i agree with him 100% "HDB flat are not becoming smaller"...
it is just due to over the time, the measuring ruler and tape grow longer/bigger....

:scared-3: :scared-3:

when i got my telok blangah flat in 2004, it was like any other average 4rm flat - 99sqm.

nowadays, 4rm flats in punggol are hitting 90sqm or slightly below it.

hyenergix
03-05-12, 11:23
when i got my telok blangah flat in 2004, it was like any other average 4rm flat - 99sqm.

nowadays, 4rm flats in punggol are hitting 90sqm or slightly below it.

Are you implying something is wrong with the article or originator of the information? :p

eng81157
03-05-12, 12:37
Are you implying something is wrong with the article or originator of the information? :p

eh, i'm not implying anything. i'm just stating facts and the rest is up to each's interpretation. :D

must be careful, later kenna sue or invite to lim kopi

gn108
03-05-12, 12:58
Cannot anyhow say ...and cannot anyhow don't say...

eh, i'm not implying anything. i'm just stating facts and the rest is up to each's interpretation. :D

must be careful, later kenna sue or invite to lim kopi

hopeful
03-05-12, 15:03

definitely something is wrong is wrong with the article. Size is measureable. Comfortability is not measure.

KBW's $8 heart surgery till now not yet explained.
Shanmugan's "$1000 salary can afford HDB" at least have the numbers backing it up.

this time KBW score own goal.
just like his comments "DBSS not under HDB"

eng81157
03-05-12, 16:13
TR emeritus 1 - KenoBiWan 0

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/05/03/mr-khaw-hdb-flat-sizes-are-shrinking/

carbuncle
03-05-12, 16:45
omg. is there real detachment of snr officials aka ministers from the ground?

carbuncle
03-05-12, 16:50
Can someone repost the full article? i remember what worried me when i read it wasnt the inconsistency on shrinking flat size, but Mr Khaw comment that HDB prices will not ever again see the same meteoric rise it had enjoyed the past 30yrs.

There goes the dream of upgrading for the recent yrs HDB buyer.

eng81157
03-05-12, 16:54
Can someone repost the full article? i remember what worried me when i read it wasnt the inconsistency on shrinking flat size, but Mr Khaw comment that HDB prices will not ever again see the same meteoric rise it had enjoyed the past 30yrs.

There goes the dream of upgrading for the recent yrs HDB buyer.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/hdb-flat-sizes-havent-changed-assures-khaw-033415555--sector.html

carbuncle
03-05-12, 17:12
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/hdb-flat-sizes-havent-changed-assures-khaw-033415555--sector.html
Yours is the abridged version. Be careful which version you choose to read... Important parts may be left out.

carbuncle
03-05-12, 17:13
» HDB hasn't shrunk flat sizes,
says Khaw
Straits Times: Thu, May 03
NATIONAL Development Minister
Khaw Boon Wan yesterday
addressed two questions many
had been asking regarding the
size and price of Housing Board
flats.
No, he said, HDB flat sizes have
not shrunk in recent years.
And no, prices will not shoot up
in the same way they did in the
past.
He gave these assurances at a
feedback forum, after
participants took the chance to
quiz the minister in charge of
housing.
While many believe that HDB
flats have been shrinking, Mr
Khaw said that flat sizes have in
fact remained unchanged for the
past 15 years.
A four-room flat, for instance,
has remained at 90 sq m since
the mid-90s, HDB figures show.
HDB has also said that the
amount of living space per
person has risen, as the number
of people in an average
household has dropped.
Mr Khaw said Singapore will not
go the way of Hong Kong, where
public home sizes are much
smaller. 'I would consider that a
deterioration of our quality of
life and we should avoid that,'
he said.
As for prices, he said flats would
remain affordable, and that the
current high levels would not
persist.
Prices had shot up, he explained,
due to a 'temporary imbalance'
of demand and supply:
Singapore's population had
grown so rapidly in the past five
years that the infrastructure
could not keep up. But HDB has
been pumping more units into
the market, and 'there is some
stabilisation', Mr Khaw said. The
housing market will stabilise once
this imbalance is corrected, he
added, though it will take time.
'In the next five years, I'm
committed to building at least
100,000 HDB flats if necessary,'
he said, adding that the
Government will continue to
release land if needed.
One participant, consultant Lu
Keehong, 55, noted that buyers
who bought an HDB flat for $
60,000 two decades ago could
sell it for $300,000 today. Did
that mean, he asked, that prices
would rise five times again over
the next 20 years?
Replying, Mr Khaw said that
housing values had grown so
much primarily because of
Singapore's rapid economic
growth in the past. But as it
reaches maturity, ending the
days of high gross domestic
product (GDP) growth, the
growth in property prices will
likewise slow down.
He also talked about the
proliferation of 'shoebox' units
of 500 sq ft or less built by
private developers. The
Government is keeping an eye
on this trend, said Mr Khaw, and
if the proportion of such units
becomes too high in the market,
'we may have to step in'.
See Prime
Source: The Straits Times ©
Singapore Press Holdings Ltd.

howgozit
03-05-12, 22:49
KBW claims that there is no shrinkage in the last 15 years so that would be since 1998. But the article below compares today's HDB flats to those built in the 80's, that is outside the range leh...

I think KBW would be very careful with the facts and figures lah....

HDB confirmed that flats have shrunk in size over the years

http://www.valuebuddies.com/thread-1641.html

danntbt
04-05-12, 05:10
KBW claims that there is no shrinkage in the last 15 years so that would be since 1998. But the article below compares today's HDB flats to those built in the 80's, that is outside the range leh...

Ya..he Knows Best Wan....

eng81157
04-05-12, 05:40

like any statisticians (or politicians) worth his salt, publish the figures and let the general public scrutinize it. i will bet it is skewed or managed in some manner to support the claims.

i can't deny that most of my friends' 4room flat are 90sqm +/- 2

hyenergix
04-05-12, 07:02
To be fair, HDB has upsized the carpark, which I like as it makes parking easier, reduces the dents and allows one to get in and out of the car easier. The amenities are also more well-planned e.g. covered walkways, landscaping, children's playground, modern facade etc. So give and take a bit of slightly smaller floor-size, I still prefer the latest designs.

radha08
04-05-12, 07:11
hdb=highly developed block...;)

eng81157
04-05-12, 08:12
To be fair, HDB has upsized the carpark, which I like as it makes parking easier, reduces the dents and allows one to get in and out of the car easier. The amenities are also more well-planned e.g. covered walkways, landscaping, children's playground, modern facade etc. So give and take a bit of slightly smaller floor-size, I still prefer the latest designs.

well we don't actually live in a parking lot or the playground eh?

hyenergix
04-05-12, 08:47
well we don't actually live in a parking lot or the playground eh?

But typical resident will use e facilities. Land cost has gone up a lot. HDB prices have not gone up as much...

eng81157
04-05-12, 08:54
But typical resident will use e facilities. Land cost has gone up a lot. HDB prices have not gone up as much...

a 4room BTO flat at clementi costs half a million and northwards. in your opinion, does this reflect the huge escalation in price?

roly8
04-05-12, 10:14
KBW speak nonsense recently??:eek:

fclim
04-05-12, 10:19

Nevertheless, it is a half truth imo. He could have explained further and said that well, compared to the 80's, yes the flats are smaller instead of leaving it to the public to read carefully what he has said.

You cannot deny that based on what he has said, 9 out of 10 people will not notice the 15 year disclaimer in his statement. It is an argument by selective observation, presenting only the positive facts.

carbuncle
04-05-12, 11:38
Ya..he Knows Best Wan....
KenoBiWan (courtesy of bro eng) can use Jedi mind trick on you if necessary... HDB has NOT gotten smaller. Ok. HDB has not gotten smaller.

eng81157
04-05-12, 12:46
Nevertheless, it is a half truth imo. He could have explained further and said that well, compared to the 80's, yes the flats are smaller instead of leaving it to the public to read carefully what he has said.

You cannot deny that based on what he has said, 9 out of 10 people will not notice the 15 year disclaimer in his statement. It is an argument by selective observation, presenting only the positive facts.

well, i've taken into account the 15 year time frame and anecdote evidence shows that 4rm flats had shrunk in size.

howgozit
04-05-12, 13:01
well, i've taken into account the 15 year time frame and anecdote evidence shows that 4rm flats had shrunk in size.

but empirical evidence counts more... all unit types and all areas would be taken into account to give a median value for comparison not just the 4rm flats...

I would think KBW got his many "kah kia"s to crunch the numbers before he even dare to openly say it. Maybe if they had taken a 16yr time frame the numbers would not tilt in their favour.... may not even need to go back to the '80s.

obviously KBW is making political talk.... ie. highlighting the positive and screening out the negative thru's selective use of time frame.

but then... how far back should one go back in order to make a useful comparison? In the '80s FH landed houses costs only about $300k in many places....

fclim
04-05-12, 13:05
but then... how far back should one go back in order to make a useful comparison? In the '80s FH landed houses costs only about $300k in many places....

Well, majority of flats now were built in the 80s thru mid 90s? Cos MBT cut back on building HDB flats in the last 10 years. So, KBW's data comparison not representative of the current majority of flats which were built earlier than 15 years ago...

hyenergix
04-05-12, 13:10

You are implying someone is manipulating the data? Want to lim kopi? :p

eng81157
04-05-12, 13:13
You are implying someone is manipulating the data? Want to lim kopi? :p

any statistician worth his salt can easily 'manipulate' data. not a hard thing to do

howgozit
04-05-12, 13:14
Well, majority of flats now were built in the 80s thru mid 90s? Cos MBT cut back on building HDB flats in the last 10 years. So, KBW's data comparison not representative of the current majority of flats which were built earlier than 15 years ago...

True...

I am not defending KBW.... but it will be hard to call him a liar.

But to put things into perspective, I think its best to make a comparison with private property. There is significantly more shrinkage in the last 15yrs because of plot ratio changes. Old apartments that have gone enbloc are rebuild smaller and denser.... New apartments built on undeveloped land are also smaller and denser.

House
04-05-12, 15:28
EVERYONE LIES. Period :D

gn108
04-05-12, 16:04
Yes - even my wife...:o

EVERYONE LIES. Period :D

carbuncle
04-05-12, 16:24
Give the poor guy a break la. Aiyo if every word he say or write get scrutinise like that very soon he wont dare to say or do anything. And you miss the boat ones out there will really cryyyyy father cryyy mother man.

carbuncle
04-05-12, 16:31
You all really need to cut him some slack. See how happy he look BEFORE he take on this role: http://www.pckthemovie.com/images/henry.jpg and how tired and unhappy he look now:
http://topnews.com.sg/images/khaw-boon-wan_0.jpg

hyenergix
04-05-12, 16:51
a 4room BTO flat at clementi costs half a million and northwards. in your opinion, does this reflect the huge escalation in price?

Yes but land price has increased much more. HDB there is still a very valuable asset to own in this environment. As pop increases more pp will be studying in NUS n polys there, demand will b huge n sustained, bcoz education is recession proof.

eng81157
04-05-12, 16:57
You all really need to cut him some slack. See how happy he look BEFORE he take on this role: http://www.pckthemovie.com/images/henry.jpg and how tired and unhappy he look now:

ROFL :D :D

fclim
04-05-12, 17:39

Alamak! Wahahahaha....

howgozit
04-05-12, 18:02
ALAMAK!!!:doh:

Very Funny!!!:) :) :)