PDA

View Full Version : TAXI driver is it a LOW down job...

radha08
26-04-12, 18:56
Was having a discussion which turned into argument(happens quite often when your married)...:D...i was telling her like maybe in 10 years time when i retire maybe i become taxi driver...she was like WTF is wrong with you...why...paiseh people say u like that what your kids friends think bla bla...so we argued..anyway point is i think its a decent job i mean like any other job you work hard and you get rewarded..idont give a RATS ass what people think of me..i make my own life what...;)

so bros/sis what you al think of TAXI driving as a form of livelihood...:p

dtrax
26-04-12, 18:58
show her this article?
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/1060856/fresh_grad_marries_hawker.html

paulho77
26-04-12, 19:08
if i am not wrong...taxi driver in spore is only for citizen...only job left not yet invaded by FT

EBD
26-04-12, 19:34
if i am not wrong...taxi driver in spore is only for citizen...only job left not yet invaded by FT

MP and minister too. Wonder why they don't open that up ? Hmmm......

Douk
26-04-12, 20:29
Was having a discussion which turned into argument(happens quite often when your married)...:D...i was telling her like maybe in 10 years time when i retire maybe i become taxi driver...she was like WTF is wrong with you...why...paiseh people say u like that what your kids friends think bla bla...so we argued..anyway point is i think its a decent job i mean like any other job you work hard and you get rewarded..idont give a RATS ass what people think of me..i make my own life what...;)

Is a decent job, but not rewarding $ wise. You may want to achieve your landed before becoming a taxi driver. :D

Douk
26-04-12, 20:32
MP and minister too. Wonder why they don't open that up ? Hmmm......

Guess this is a job opportunity for our retrenched workers.

howgozit
26-04-12, 20:35
Driving a taxi is one of my dream jobs.... unfortunately it cannot pay for the things that I desire at this point in my life. It is a job I see myself doing after retiring from what I am doing now. Would probably be nagged by the Wife if I hung around at home all day anyway... might as well go earn some pocket money and do smething that I enjoy ie.... driving.

However as a full-time job, driving a taxi can be quite stressfull. Falling sick or taking holidays can have a big impact on a taxi driver's income..

buttercarp
26-04-12, 20:43
I know quite a number of blue collared worker who get taxi licence as a back up in case they lose their job. Or they drive taxi to supplement income.
Actually for yellow top taxi, you can own the taxi if you are doing business. So it can double up as own transport.
As a form of livelihood, I think it is a hard job.
But I think it is a decent job.
Nothing to be paiseh about.

Komo
26-04-12, 20:46
heard there are people who can earn $6k/m:D

ysyap
26-04-12, 20:56
Driving on the road as a taxi driver is different from driving on the road with taxi drivers. Taxi driving is definitely a decent job but its also hard work but sometimes I find taxi drivers exist in a world of their own, cutting lanes and stopping suddenly without warning all in the name of picking up passengers who can also be totally mindless of the traffic conditions... well I guess if I'm a taxi driver myself, I'd be more forgiving towards their behavior.

My dad also wants to be a taxi driver but always kana from my mum. I'd probably drive a taxi as a form of vehicle rental to tide over this period of high motor cost. Then no pressue, just go out and drive for 2 to 3 hours daily and earn a bit to cover the rental cost can liao... Lol! :cheers6:

extremme
26-04-12, 20:57
ur missus is exact opp of me. My hubby is having a pretty stressful job I everyday see him like that I buay ta han.. ask him quit his job n be taxi driver, we dun spend so much loh... he dun want, say it cannot maintain our current lifestyle......

ysyap
26-04-12, 21:01
While it is a common sight to see cabs driving into HDB MSC but its quite another sight to see cabs parked inside PCs or in a landed house... :rolleyes:

Arcachon
27-04-12, 01:27
Driving on the road as a taxi driver is different from driving on the road with taxi drivers. Taxi driving is definitely a decent job but its also hard work but sometimes I find taxi drivers exist in a world of their own, cutting lanes and stopping suddenly without warning all in the name of picking up passengers who can also be totally mindless of the traffic conditions... well I guess if I'm a taxi driver myself, I'd be more forgiving towards their behavior.

My dad also wants to be a taxi driver but always kana from my mum. I'd probably drive a taxi as a form of vehicle rental to tide over this period of high motor cost. Then no pressue, just go out and drive for 2 to 3 hours daily and earn a bit to cover the rental cost can liao... Lol! :cheers6:

You should try hailing a Taxi in the middle of the road in NYC.

radha08
27-04-12, 04:14
hmm judging from the response its not so bad being a cab driver....can see many many condo/apts and give feedback to the forums.....:D...but seriously i would consider it as a retirement source of income...for the moment got to work hard as an engineer and let my head kena knock by boss/director...:doh::D:cheers1:

bigapplefan
27-04-12, 11:06
Not really a good job due to the long hours..

They have to pay the taxi companies for the taxi rental even when they are sick or want to go for holidays. If the taxi breaks down, the taxi company only pays a nominal fee for every hour lost.. In the end, taxi companies are the ones who profit the most..

there are other health problems like difficult to go toilet often etc..
not to mention dangerous cos you might meet a robber etc..

the only good thing about it is the flexible working hours..

ay123
27-04-12, 11:13
know someone who drive at 4am and stop at 12pm.....make a decent living with 2nd half day free & easy. must be self contented or even if u are a CEO, u will still think is not enough. as long make a living in legal mean, is a decent job. income level only determine how u should live yr life but dont determine yr pride in your life which is priceless

hopeful
27-04-12, 13:06
why not be a security guard in your own condo?
imagine, you stay in the penthouse, then comedown to work in aircon office.
and when you do your rounds, can consider that as exercise.

you get paid for seating and walking in your own condo project.
shiok right?

if people make noise in the middle of the night, don your security guard attire and tell the noisy people to shoo.

radha08
27-04-12, 13:30

shiok right?

if people make noise in the middle of the night, don your security guard attire and tell the noisy people to shoo.

:cheers1::cheers1::cheers1::cheers1::cheers1::cheers1:

howgozit
27-04-12, 14:00

They have to pay the taxi companies for the taxi rental even when they are sick or want to go for holidays. If the taxi breaks down, the taxi company only pays a nominal fee for every hour lost.. In the end, taxi companies are the ones who profit the most..

the only good thing about it is the flexible working hours..

Agree... it is not a good job if you need it to pay the bills.

But if are driving a taxi for Kopi money only... it is an excellent job. It is not difficult to cover the rental of the taxi and fuel, any more you make is your kopi "lui"... happy can don't drive

carbuncle
27-04-12, 15:08

shiok right?

SUPER LIKE

fclim
27-04-12, 15:37

The fact that you and the others think it is a good retirement job shows that it is not for you as a livelihood.

You need to be very thick skinned to take insults and remarks from snotty passengers who may scold you "stupid", "idiot" and the champion word of all, "moron". But, you are CondoSingapore trained, so should be okay lah..:D

Psst.. Mr B good sparring partner.

carbuncle
27-04-12, 15:46
The fact that you and the others think it is a good retirement job shows that it is not for you as a livelihood.

You need to be very thick skinned to take insults and remarks from snotty passengers who may scold you "stupid", "idiot" and the champion word of all, "moron". But, you are CondoSingapore trained, so should be okay lah..:D

Is it really that common people using those words you mentioned on cabbies??

ysyap
27-04-12, 15:53
You should try hailing a Taxi in the middle of the road in NYC.Care to eleborate... never been to the US...

ysyap
27-04-12, 15:55

the only good thing about it is the flexible working hours..Had this discussion before... taxi companies are the ones driving the taxi charges up up up. Everybody suffer, from taxi drivers to commuters... only taxi companies profit big big... :(

fclim
27-04-12, 16:02
Is it really that common people using those words you mentioned on cabbies??

Not sure, but told about it by some cabbies when I take their cab. Sometimes, it could be the other way around too..

carbuncle
27-04-12, 16:08
Not sure, but told about it by some cabbies when I take their cab. Sometimes, it could be the other way around too..
If thats true it really is appalling... Pay few bucks for a cab service think they are king?!

fclim
27-04-12, 16:56
You can read the book, Diary of a Taxi Driver by Dr Cai Mingjie. Researcher with PhD from Stanford who became a taxi driver for a while.

carbuncle
27-04-12, 17:04
Everything can write a book these days... Wonder if there will be a Diary of a CondoSingapore Forummer called b****

Rosegarden
27-04-12, 17:06
If thats true it really is appalling... Pay few bucks for a cab service think they are king?!

Real case as told by cabbie: Woman passenger upon reaching certain condo in Mt Sinai said to cabbie "you people can never hope to stay here hor..."

:doh:

carbuncle
27-04-12, 17:10
Real case as told by cabbie: Woman passenger upon reaching certain condo in Mt Sinai said to cabbie "you people can never hope to stay here hor..."

:doh:
Tsk tsk tsk... For all she knows the cabbie quietly smirking away thinking of taking a dip later in his nice 30m private lap pool of his GCB in QAP...

House
30-04-12, 17:22

shiok right?

Wow, this will be my NUMBER one job when retired.:D

buttercarp
30-04-12, 17:53
Wow, this will be my NUMBER one job when retired.:D

Even if you want, they may not hire you.
My dad, a retired cabin crew was refused a job as a security guard as they said he was over qualified.

House
30-04-12, 19:04
Even if you want, they may not hire you.
My dad, a retired cabin crew was refused a job as a security guard as they said he was over qualified.

he too yan dao?:D employ him liao scare all other security guards no more chance to sian pinoy maids ? :D :D :D :D

irisng
01-05-12, 09:42
Is a decent job, but not rewarding $ wise. You may want to achieve your landed before becoming a taxi driver. :D

I have a taxi friend, he drives only during weekdays (Mon-Fri) from 4pm to 2am and earning about $3k per month.:scared-1:

irisng
01-05-12, 10:05

But not all the passengers are like that lah. Anyway you don't know them, after scolding, you might not meet them again, so don't need to feel embarrass.:D

I don't think as a taxi-driver, it is a low-down class job, the only concern is the health issue. As a taxi-driver, you must have enough sleep because you are on the road most of the time, also quite taxing on the eyesights, cannot fall sick (if not, no income, still have to pay for rental), go for holiday (can get someone to drive your taxi temporarily by renting them cheaper, so it will cut down the cost). Go for your meals and also to toilet, it might be a rush unless you can take things very easily, but to most of the taxi-drivers, time is money. I used to see my taxi friends always in a rush like that.

But my uncle used to be a taxi-driver before, he takes things very easily, he said no point rushing with people, health is more important.

rattydrama
01-05-12, 10:10
I have a taxi friend, he drives only during weekdays (Mon-Fri) from 4pm to 2am and earning about $3k per month.:scared-1:

treat it as retirement job to have some kopi money and on ocassion chit chat with passenger, easy to pass time.

dont need to do alot of walking yet still get paid seeing the surrounding instead of being kept at home all day.

howgozit
01-05-12, 10:26
Yep... less stressful as a retirement job for kopi lui... being nagged daily by the Wife at home is worse for your health. No wonder old folks tend to lose their hearing... I suspect on purpose

treat it as retirement job to have some kopi money and on ocassion chit chat with passenger, easy to pass time.

dont need to do alot of walking yet still get paid seeing the surrounding instead of being kept at home all day.

rattydrama
01-05-12, 10:47
Yep... less stressful as a retirement job for kopi lui... being nagged daily by the Wife at home is worse for your health. No wonder old folks tend to lose their hearing... I suspect on purpose

abit of nag still better then no nag lah. If one day there is no more nag, you will also go very fast....:D

PN
01-05-12, 11:09
From what I gathered from taxi drivers over last few decades, taxi drivers will face these types of customers/passangers

1. Nice customers. Ask them which way they want to get to destination, they say doesn't matter. No worries. :p
2. Give tips customers. Taxi fare 10.50, they give $12 no keep the change. Some even better give $20. Very happy. :D
4. Petty & Fussy customers. Ask you to take certain route but then when they see the meter fare a bit high than their normal (they claim so) they want discount. Headache customers. Feedback is majority aunties. :scared-1:
5. Beat the traffic customer. Ask taxi drivers to dash pass the traffic junction when see amber light. Will scold the taxi drivers if they stop. Reason is the meter will keep jumping when stop at traffic light. :mad:
6. Not enough money customers. When reach destination, say not enought money. Don't want troubles so let them go & bare the loss. :doh:
7. Don't pay fare customer. Reach destination say no money. Most taxi drivers will still let them off. If not got to go police station and there goes their day. More losses. :banghead:
8. Rude and stuck-up customers. Treat taxi drivers like servants. They got money BIG BIG......... deal. Will scold if you break to avoid other vehicles. Will threaten to complain if they percieved the taxi driver ignore them (because you rude people don't want to talk to you mah). :beats-me-man:
9. Drunk customers. Must get ready plastic bags in taxi. let them vomit in the plastic bags. But then the smell will leave behind in the taxi. If no more plastic bag or they can't aim (too drunk), you bad luck lah. Got to do cleaning up when they alight. :simmering:

Not easy as a taxi driver leh. Besides the health issues, still need to deal with all sorts of customers. Even if you control your temper, it will still affetcs your mood.

This job is not for me. :tsk-tsk:

carbuncle
01-05-12, 11:15
Wakakakaka..... Funny!!!!!

carbuncle
01-05-12, 11:17
abit of nag still better then no nag lah. If one day there is no more nag, you will also go very fast....:D
Which man is new to nagging? From birth nagged by mother. Until get married, nagged by both mother and wife. Stereo sound. If got daughter worse Surround sound....

irisng
01-05-12, 13:02

Ya lor, 打是疼你, 骂是爱 mah.:D

ysyap
01-05-12, 13:11
From what I gathered from taxi drivers over last few decades, taxi drivers will face these types of customers/passangers

1. Nice customers. Ask them which way they want to get to destination, they say doesn't matter. No worries. :p
2. Give tips customers. Taxi fare 10.50, they give $12 no keep the change. Some even better give $20. Very happy. :D
4. Petty & Fussy customers. Ask you to take certain route but then when they see the meter fare a bit high than their normal (they claim so) they want discount. Headache customers. Feedback is majority aunties. :scared-1:
5. Beat the traffic customer. Ask taxi drivers to dash pass the traffic junction when see amber light. Will scold the taxi drivers if they stop. Reason is the meter will keep jumping when stop at traffic light. :mad:
6. Not enough money customers. When reach destination, say not enought money. Don't want troubles so let them go & bare the loss. :doh:
7. Don't pay fare customer. Reach destination say no money. Most taxi drivers will still let them off. If not got to go police station and there goes their day. More losses. :banghead:
8. Rude and stuck-up customers. Treat taxi drivers like servants. They got money BIG BIG......... deal. Will scold if you break to avoid other vehicles. Will threaten to complain if they percieved the taxi driver ignore them (because you rude people don't want to talk to you mah). :beats-me-man:
9. Drunk customers. Must get ready plastic bags in taxi. let them vomit in the plastic bags. But then the smell will leave behind in the taxi. If no more plastic bag or they can't aim (too drunk), you bad luck lah. Got to do cleaning up when they alight. :simmering:

Not easy as a taxi driver leh. Besides the health issues, still need to deal with all sorts of customers. Even if you control your temper, it will still affetcs your mood.

This job is not for me. :tsk-tsk:You forgot point number 3. Robber customers. Some customers give counterfeit $50 notes to still get change from driver. Some take out knief and ask for cash plus cash card! V hazardous job indeed! :beats-me-man:

PN
01-05-12, 13:33
You forgot point number 3. Robber customers. Some customers give counterfeit $50 notes to still get change from driver. Some take out knief and ask for cash plus cash card! V hazardous job indeed! :beats-me-man:

Aiya. Missed out #3.

Your addition fits perfectly. :cheers1:

irisng
01-05-12, 13:43

This job is not for me. :tsk-tsk:

I think these are all from the taxi drivers experience but how about from the customers experience.

Many yrs back, I had this exerience: hire a taxi at around 10am, alamat inside the taxi was so hot and a housefly was flying around. The taxi uncle smiled at me and told me that he had a mahjong section late last night, that was why he couldn't get up early in the morning to cool the taxi.

Ok, never mind, I just smiled at him. Then came next, he took a big, curving loop to reach my destination which in fact he could travel in a straight and direct route. Most taxi drivers know how to use this straight and direct route. I asked him why he took this curving route, he told me that he was used to it already. :doh:In the end, not only I had to pay extra $ but also wasting my time, I reached my destination about 15-20 mins later than my normal day.

My mother-in-law also had the same experience, taxi drivers took a very long route before she reached her destination.

But some taxi drivers are good, they will ask you which route you prefer, if not they will just take the shorter route.

CUTE TAXI DRVIER : I came across this taxi driver, he was not sure about the way and I had to lead him from the start to the end, haha. He said he was new in this line and not very familiar with the roads.

PN
01-05-12, 13:51
CUTE TAXI DRVIER : I came across this taxi driver, he was not sure about the way and I had to lead him from the start to the end, haha. He said he was new in this line and not very familiar with the roads.

This taxi driver act blurrrrrrrr lah.

He just want to find excuses to talk to you all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :D

Laguna
01-05-12, 14:16
Bring a GPS along to use in the taxi

irisng
01-05-12, 15:49
This taxi driver act blurrrrrrrr lah.

He just want to find excuses to talk to you all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :D

Aiya, don't like that lah, that taxi driver was "Ah Dee", and I was with my children hor.

irisng
01-05-12, 16:00
Bring a GPS along to use in the taxi

Actually, my husband used to take this straight route to fetch me to and fro my destination, that's why I know the route very well and the taxi driver wanted to "bluff" me. In the end, I also paid him, no point argued with him.

carbuncle
01-05-12, 16:40
Ya lor, 打是疼你, 骂是爱 mah.:D

I have only ever heard this being mentioned by women. 100%. The men whom used this phrase are either old uncles or gay...

carbuncle
01-05-12, 16:45
I think these are all from the taxi drivers experience but how about from the customers

Cute taxi driver i seldom find... But noob yes i keep meeting. Its probably their 'disclaimer' first in case u complain long route etc later. For all u know they already drove for 6 months liao. Actually i hate it when they ask me which route to take. I usually just say whichever take the shortest fastest route.

ysyap
01-05-12, 20:43
Cute taxi driver i seldom find... But noob yes i keep meeting. Its probably their 'disclaimer' first in case u complain long route etc later. For all u know they already drove for 6 months liao. Actually i hate it when they ask me which route to take. I usually just say whichever take the shortest fastest route.Yup... sometimes the driver only testing the passenger to see if he/she knows the way. If don't know, then he can sneak in a slightly longer route to earn that extra $1 to $2... :mad:

hyenergix
01-05-12, 20:57
Yup... sometimes the driver only testing the passenger to see if he/she knows the way. If don't know, then he can sneak in a slightly longer route to earn that extra $1 to $2... :mad:

As a driver, I would say it is very hard to drive nowadays. The shortest route on the map may not be the most efficient in terms of time or cost. The best route may turn out to be the worst. It depends on the time of the day, weather, public holiday, road works or tree prunings, and accident.

The deadliest combination would be: peak hour around 6.30pm, heavy rain, eve of public holiday, partial road closure for cable laying and section road closure for tree prunings, and accident of course. In practice, any two combination can result in massive jams along the road with usual smooth traffic.

So sometimes it is not the taxi driver trying to detour slightly to earn that extra buck. It is just that he/she is trying to avoid the heavy traffic stretch.

ysyap
01-05-12, 21:16
As a driver, I would say it is very hard to drive nowadays. The shortest route on the map may not be the most efficient in terms of time or cost. The best route may turn out to be the worst. It depends on the time of the day, weather, public holiday, road works or tree prunings, and accident.

The deadliest combination would be: peak hour around 6.30pm, heavy rain, eve of public holiday, partial road closure for cable laying and section road closure for tree prunings, and accident of course. In practice, any two combination can result in massive jams along the road with usual smooth traffic.

So sometimes it is not the taxi driver trying to detour slightly to earn that extra buck. It is just that he/she is trying to avoid the heavy traffic stretch.I will not disagree but my past experience tells me that there are also taxi drivers who knows a jam brewing somewhere at this time of the day and purposely take that route so can snail along on the road and that will guarantee income for the next 1 hour in the traffic jam... When I lamented about the jam, he says he don't know and was caught off guard! :scared-3:

irisng
01-05-12, 22:05
I had come across a good taxi driver too. It happened that this taxi driver had "dropped" one of my condo residents at our guard house, so obviously I took the same taxi. When the taxi driver started to leave the condo, my son realised that there was a wallet on the back seat and he passed it to the taxi driver. The taxi-driver said that it must be the previous passenger, so he drove back to our guard house and passed the wallet to the guard. We waited there for the guard to clarify with the owner and about 5 mins later, everything was settled and we took the same taxi. When we reached the destination, the taxi driver gave me some discount (couldn't remember how much), because he said he had wasted our time in waiting for him at our guard house for clarification.