PDA

View Full Version : ECG Landed Property Collection?

lajia
22-04-12, 09:43
Anybody know what is this about? Old one tear down rebuilt or new launches? What about pricing info if you are aware?

buttercarp
22-04-12, 09:49
Anybody know what is this about? Old one tear down rebuilt or new launches? What about pricing info if you are aware?

It is old house which they tear down n do A&A.
I called agent once to ask n found price to be high at that time for the inter terrace at platina road which I think now has been sold. You can call agent to find out more.

yowetan
22-04-12, 10:19
What is the comfortable household income to support a 2.5mil SGD landed property these days?

Could fellow forumers share the magic figure with me?

DC33_2008
22-04-12, 10:21
Better to buy it on your own and rebulid. Have seen some developers bought such houses but use sub-standard materials and workmanship to build them. :doh:

lajia
22-04-12, 10:30
Seems like better we tear down ourselves and rebuilt than they do it and charge u premium....hum...

DC33_2008
22-04-12, 10:33
You can have your own design but you may have to have time to partially manage the project eventhough you have an architect and pm.

Arcachon
22-04-12, 15:25
What is the comfortable household income to support a 2.5mil SGD landed property these days?

Should ask who is paying the monthly mortgage instead?

I use to think of how to pay for the PC until I brought SB in June 2006. After TOP in 2010 instead of thinking, "How to pay with my income" to "How to get someone to pay".

After 30 years the PC is mine and I still got 60 year of lease.

I am supporting 428k+660K+750k+100k of total loan with salary of 50k income yearly.

wind30
22-04-12, 20:42

I use to think of how to pay for the PC until I brought SB in June 2006. After TOP in 2010 instead of thinking, "How to pay with my income" to "How to get someone to pay".

I am supporting 428k+660K+750k+100k of total loan with salary of 50k income yearly.

depending on when you enter the market and the interest rates.

IF interest rates goes up and you are saddled with a big loan....

jwong71
22-04-12, 20:49

just do it if u are confident. noone can teach u to make money.
or gave u wrong advices

its all to ur ownself and ur sums done

Arcachon
22-04-12, 23:31
depending on when you enter the market and the interest rates.

IF interest rates goes up and you are saddled with a big loan....

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/chart.png?s=sibcon&d1=19880101&d2=20120430

I still trying very hard to know where the interest rate is heading?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KSyv2xEzAjA/T5Qk6h05fZI/AAAAAAAAHTg/2E3pCiXtVTs/s1600/interest+rate+since+92.JPG

Arcachon
22-04-12, 23:45
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Federal_Funds_Rate_1954_thru_2009_effective.svg/640px-Federal_Funds_Rate_1954_thru_2009_effective.svg.png

Arcachon
22-04-12, 23:58
http://www.kwaves.com/fiat.htm

1971 - FLOATING - Fiat currency, 5 months
August of 1971 President Nixon ended the international gold standard and for the first time no currency in the world had a gold backing.

1971-1973 - FIXED - Dollar standard, 2 years
The Smithsonian Agreement was passed pegging world currencies to the dollar rather than gold as a fixed exchange rate.

1973-? - FLOATING - Fiat currency, 30 years
The Basel Accord established the current floating exchange of currency rates we are operating under today.

Can MAS increase the interest rate when FED is printing money.

focus
23-04-12, 00:17
The ECG collection price ranges from $2.65 to $4.3mil for the current ones on show. But prices are negotiable.

But location wise, i checked out the Joo Chiat one. Well.. a bus stop is right in front of you and it's a narrow 2 lane road with cars parking as they liked. Maybe good for rental but I wouldn't stay in it.

Those in serangoon gdns looked ok and the ones in Opera Estate area looks competitively priced with surrounding new builts by other developers.

bullman
23-04-12, 08:05

Do you have cash for 50% downpayment and 3 years of cash reserve based on interest rate of 3.5% as buffer?

If not, it is advisable not to embark on that landed dream yet.

carbuncle
23-04-12, 15:09

You mean 50k salary MONTHLY right? If not, you sound over-leveraged with a 1.8mio total of mortgage.

Arcachon
23-04-12, 17:59
You mean 50k salary MONTHLY right? If not, you sound over-leveraged with a 1.8mio total of mortgage.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-icNddnb8Hs4/T5UncKVWWPI/AAAAAAAAHTo/zII1V-tp7tk/s1600/2011+salary.JPG

My mistake, 44,000.58 salary received per year.

I get someone to pay me $2400+$4100 per month.

And COLA of S$3538 + Euro 660 for housing allowance.

Arcachon
23-04-12, 18:29
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WqjyAPF6-zw/T5UshYd4U_I/AAAAAAAAHTw/gJ1xl_i_djs/s1600/monthly+mortage.JPG
Paying S$ 3868.99 per month for loan of $428,000+$660,000.

Paying S$ 923 for loan of $200,000 from CPF.

Waiting to pay loan of $750,000.

Arcachon
23-04-12, 18:33
http://advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/2012/SPX-10-yr-yield-and-fed-intervention.gif

howgozit
23-04-12, 21:17
Thanks for sharing.... but just a suggestion...some of your private tax information may be sensitive and perhaps you may like to keep it private.

Btw, are you familiar with the concept of income to debt ratio? Are you comfortable with your income to debt ratio?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-icNddnb8Hs4/T5UncKVWWPI/AAAAAAAAHTo/zII1V-tp7tk/s1600/2011+salary.JPG

My mistake, 44,000.58 salary received per year.

I get someone to pay me $2400+$4100 per month.

And COLA of S$3538 + Euro 660 for housing allowance.

Paying S$ 3868.99 per month for loan of $428,000+$660,000.

Paying S$ 923 for loan of $200,000 from CPF.

Waiting to pay loan of $750,000.

maisonjai
23-04-12, 22:23
Arcachon u too revealing liao la. :2cents:

land118
23-04-12, 22:38
Arcachon, give 1/2 ball enough, don't give 2 full balls le...:D

hopeful
23-04-12, 22:41
Arcachon u too revealing liao la. :2cents:

Arcachon is trying to help Yowetan.
Salary less than his, yet already many condos.

why so many bros here discouraging YT? Sometimes have to take a leap of faith....

jwong71
23-04-12, 22:43

wow monthly 4K+ with 1.8mio debt??

yowentan: urs at 7K+, u can do more than that! :D

maisonjai
23-04-12, 22:48
Arcachon is trying to help Yowetan.
Salary less than his, yet already many condos.

why so many bros here discouraging YT? Sometimes have to take a leap of faith....
Ya lor, after Yowetan see his figure*, sure steam & luv him deep deep. (* figures)
Tonight YT can't slp, keep thinking of arcachon....wahaha

Rosy
23-04-12, 23:01
active salary can be gone anytime at the mercy of your boss.

it is the amount of reserves one has.

Rosy
23-04-12, 23:04
An illustration: Having 500k cash and 2million mortgage loan generating 10-15k monthly rental income at the same time. Active income no longer relevant.

Arcachon
23-04-12, 23:05
Thanks for sharing.... but just a suggestion...some of your private tax information may be sensitive and perhaps you may like to keep it private.

Btw, are you familiar with the concept of income to debt ratio? Are you comfortable with your income to debt ratio?

Your are right, thank you.

I know about income to debt ratio.

Just like to share, hope didn't cause any alarm.

hyenergix
23-04-12, 23:16

If i were a reporter lurking here i wld love to write a sensational story abt u, n new CM will appear.

howgozit
23-04-12, 23:18

Thanks for sharing... good luck and all the best.

Rosy
23-04-12, 23:27
If i were a reporter lurking here i wld love to write a sensational story abt u, n new CM will appear.
he/she did not reveal the amount of reserves. Incomplete picture

Arcachon
24-04-12, 01:20
he/she did not reveal the amount of reserves. Incomplete picture

You are right, got a fully paid 3 room HDB brought for my in law. Brought in 1995 for $65,000 after $30,000 discount from the gov. now val at $300,000.

A little bit of cash from the sale of 4 room in 1995. Some saving from my stay in the US. Saving from not driving in Singapore. Saving for staying in France for the last 5 years.

What I like to share is, buy what you can afford. For investment buy for somebody else to pay the mortgage for you. I use to look at my salary and wonder how can I afford the million dollar PC, now I wonder who is paying for my next PC.

Arcachon
24-04-12, 01:33
I have stop looking at income to debt ratio, but look at how much I can afford to lose and the chance of losing it. At the rate FED, ECB, UK, China is printing money, I would rather borrow from the bank money than save my money in the bank.

Anyone can lent me some spare cash to buy my next PC.

Blue
24-04-12, 15:39
For a purchase price of $2.5M inter-terrace, 80% loan is $2M. At current interest rates, monthly instalment is $5,152 for max loan tenure of 40 yrs (assuming your age is <35yrs). You can work out how much income your family has to support this monthly instalment. And worst case if interest rate goes up to 5%!

howgozit
24-04-12, 17:00
Oh my.... I am really out of touch with bank loans these days, wasn't aware that banks allow repayment periods up to 75 years of age. I would think it is too liberal of the bank.

No wonder property prices are shooting up... now everybody can lend to the hilt. Banks should be audited for financial prudence. This kind of thing is inflating the bubble.

For a purchase price of $2.5M inter-terrace, 80% loan is $2M. At current interest rates, monthly instalment is $5,152 for max loan tenure of 40 yrs (assuming your age is <35yrs). You can work out how much income your family has to support this monthly instalment. And worst case if interest rate goes up to 5%!

Arcachon
24-04-12, 17:52
Oh my.... I am really out of touch with bank loans these days, wasn't aware that banks allow repayment periods up to 75 years of age. I would think it is too liberal of the bank.

No wonder property prices are shooting up... now everybody can lend to the hilt. Banks should be audited for financial prudence. This kind of thing is inflating the bubble.

SINGAPORE - Taxi drivers are now permitted to work until they reach the age of 75, according to a latest statement from the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20120413-339497.html

http://www.expatliving.sg/article/property/rent-and-buy/a-step-by-step-guide-to-securing-a-mortgage-in-singapore-august-2011

Arcachon
24-04-12, 18:02
3. Determine your loan tenure.
The maximum loan tenure is 40 years; however, the tenure can be less depending on the borrower’s age. With joint applicants, the loan tenure plus the age of the youngest borrower cannot exceed 75 years.

chiaberry
24-04-12, 18:27
OK then bros/sis. Let's keep ourselves healthy and in a suitable job that can sustain our income until age 75. The "new" "retirement" age in our new age of super super long housing loans. What job is "safe" until age 75? :D

Arcachon
24-04-12, 18:37
OK then bros/sis. Let's keep ourselves healthy and in a suitable job that can sustain our income until age 75. The "new" "retirement" age in our new age of super super long housing loans. What job is "safe" until age 75? :D

Taxi driver.

Arcachon
24-04-12, 18:48
http://www.ura.gov.sg/lad/HBG/basicCheck.htm

Buying a new apartment, flat or house may probably be your single largest investment. Hence, before you even visit a showflat or view any unit, it is important that you familiarise yourself with some existing Government policies which may affect you.

howgozit
24-04-12, 20:24

I would think up to 65 years old was already stretching it.

The banks' risk management assessment has assumed a perpetual escalation of assets. I wonder how many people actually loans up to 75years old... we are in danger of becoming like Japan.... multi-generational debt.

I wouldn't want to be in debt for so long.

Arcachon
24-04-12, 20:26
https://www.cpf.gov.sg/cpf_trans/ssl/financial_model/NewHAC/Home_Afford_calc.asp

Home Affordability Calculator

howgozit
24-04-12, 21:11
I am afraid this calculator doesn't tell a person very much about home affordability even if it is called one.

https://www.cpf.gov.sg/cpf_trans/ssl/financial_model/NewHAC/Home_Afford_calc.asp

Home Affordability Calculator

yjcai
24-04-12, 21:31
http://www.kwaves.com/fiat.htm

1971 - FLOATING - Fiat currency, 5 months
August of 1971 President Nixon ended the international gold standard and for the first time no currency in the world had a gold backing.

1971-1973 - FIXED - Dollar standard, 2 years
The Smithsonian Agreement was passed pegging world currencies to the dollar rather than gold as a fixed exchange rate.

1973-? - FLOATING - Fiat currency, 30 years
The Basel Accord established the current floating exchange of currency rates we are operating under today.

Can MAS increase the interest rate when FED is printing money.

The answer is no. SG is a country where capital mobility and stable exchange rate are a must. For this they will lose interest rate as a monetary tool. Maybe can google on impossible trinity.

Arcachon
25-04-12, 01:59
The answer is no. SG is a country where capital mobility and stable exchange rate are a must. For this they will lose interest rate as a monetary tool. Maybe can google on impossible trinity.

:not-worthy: What about FED stop printing money and raise interest rate is it possible after they have print in QE1,QE2 and Operation Twist?

Blue
26-04-12, 17:30
I would think up to 65 years old was already stretching it.

The banks' risk management assessment has assumed a perpetual escalation of assets. I wonder how many people actually loans up to 75years old... we are in danger of becoming like Japan.... multi-generational debt.

I wouldn't want to be in debt for so long.

I doubt anyone would want to service loan until 75 yrs old. Mostly would have sold the property by 30 yrs. In any case, the land is still worth something at the end of day, so it will pay off by itself. Downgrade when reach retirement age and cash out to enjoy life before going inside the coffin.

But for the purpose of taking a loan, the longer tenure you stretch is better so your monthly instalment is not so high. Why think so far ahead when u dun even know if you can live tat long.

wind30
26-04-12, 21:05

I thought singapore was going raise the value of singapore dollar to curb inflation. Does that mean they can raise interest rates up a little?

howgozit
26-04-12, 21:08
I doubt anyone would want to service loan until 75 yrs old. Mostly would have sold the property by 30 yrs. In any case, the land is still worth something at the end of day, so it will pay off by itself. Downgrade when reach retirement age and cash out to enjoy life before going inside the coffin.

But for the purpose of taking a loan, the longer tenure you stretch is better so your monthly instalment is not so high. Why think so far ahead when u dun even know if you can live tat long.

While the individual may not want or plan to service a loan till 75, the bank should be more prudent than allow him to do so in the first place.

It cannot be assumed that when you want to sell your property it will be at the price that you want. The '97 crisis made many bankrupt. Those who bought btw 95-97 took abt 10 years just to recover to the original price.

bullman
27-04-12, 10:24
hi guys,

Just to revert to the topic of this thread:

Landed market is really shooting through the roof now. You can't really find any decent inter-terrace for less than 1.8 mil nowadays. Those available are mostly small land size of around 1000 sqft, which translate to very high land psf.

Had a frustrating past 2 months.

Rosy
27-04-12, 10:40
Due to increasing new citizens?

chiaberry
27-04-12, 11:11
Who was the forum member who sold 2 landed properties not so long ago? Should be :doh:

lajia
27-04-12, 11:14

i think partially due to condo pricing which is very far higher than landed in terms of psf. the gap needs to be closed and it will....i believe.

Rosy
27-04-12, 11:39
i think partially due to condo pricing which is very far higher than landed in terms of psf. the gap needs to be closed and it will....i believe.

It has always been the case.

Blue
27-04-12, 12:33
While the individual may not want or plan to service a loan till 75, the bank should be more prudent than allow him to do so in the first place.

It cannot be assumed that when you want to sell your property it will be at the price that you want. The '97 crisis made many bankrupt. Those who bought btw 95-97 took abt 10 years just to recover to the original price.

The longer the tenure, the better for the borrowers, so tat u can reserve funds in case of crisis period when banks start to make margin calls. Always buy with reserve funds tat can last u at least 5 yrs of instalment payment and u shld be quite safe.

If u keep worrying abt prices reaching peak and going to fall, u may
miss many boats and end up losing out, letting ur money in the bank rot as inflation devalues ur dollars!

howgozit
27-04-12, 13:48
The longer the tenure, the better for the borrowers, so tat u can reserve funds in case of crisis period when banks start to make margin calls. Always buy with reserve funds tat can last u at least 5 yrs of instalment payment and u shld be quite safe.

If u keep worrying abt prices reaching peak and going to fall, u may
miss many boats and end up losing out, letting ur money in the bank rot as inflation devalues ur dollars!

Totally agree.... no problem for the borrowers, works in their favour. No wonder prices are soaring...

I was referring to the prudence on the banks part.

Not many have 5 yrs worth of instalment payments in savings like you say. In fact, many don't even have the bare minimum of 6mths. Many buying the new launches are squeezing by on the loophole progress payments that defers the full 40% upfront.

Of course the 60% LTV also gives the banks a lot of buffer... perhaps that is why they have become so liberal.

howgozit
27-04-12, 13:54

At current psfs I think landed still has more value than condos... I don't think current landed pricing is ridiculously high, its the condo pricing that is ridiculously high.

High-rise living is high density living it should rightly be cheaper than landed living. But this is not the case as reflected by the prices.

bullman
27-04-12, 17:25

I do not think so, most of those who turn up for viewing are young couples in their early 30s. I guess they figured out that landed property makes more sense now, given the high price of condo units.

land118
27-04-12, 17:30
I do not think so, most of those who turn up for viewing are young couples in their early 30s. I guess they figured out that landed property makes more sense now, given the high price of condo units. Yes, you are right. Locals who are doing well, finding better value in landed...Also, those who have frequent visitors, biz friends to entertain, landed more exclusive & convenient....

bullman
27-04-12, 17:31
At current psfs I think landed still has more value than condos... I don't think current landed pricing is ridiculously high, its the condo pricing that is ridiculously high.

High-rise living is high density living it should rightly be cheaper than landed living. But this is not the case as reflected by the prices.

I guess quite a few has arrived at the same conclusion, thus explaining the rush to grab land that is low in quantum, i.e. below 2 mil

bullman
27-04-12, 17:34
Yes, you are right. Locals who are doing well, finding better value in landed...Also, those who have frequent visitors, biz friends to entertain, landed more exclusive & convenient....

Just surprised by the purchasing power of this new emerging class. Most bought HDB as their first purchase and has satisfied the MOP. They mentioned that they wish to upgrade directly to a landed rather than a condo given the small gap in prices absolutely, if they were to purchase a reasonable size 3 BR

buttercarp
27-04-12, 17:46
Luxus Hills now got people advertise 3 mil for 1615sq ft:scared-3: .

land118
27-04-12, 17:57
Just surprised by the purchasing power of this new emerging class. Most bought HDB as their first purchase and has satisfied the MOP. They mentioned that they wish to upgrade directly to a landed rather than a condo given the small gap in prices absolutely, if they were to purchase a reasonable size 3 BR I think this will tell a good story:

All in District 20

1. HDB resale in Bishan 5rm, ask $720k

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb-for-sale-229-bishan-street-23-9446767

2. Sky Habitat @Bishan: ~$1.9m

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/9373450/for-sale-sky-habitat

3. Landed (ask excess of $1.65m)

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing-map/7020206/for-sale-open-house-31-jln-chegar-thomson-gdn-est-

land118
27-04-12, 18:04
Luxus Hills now got people advertise 3 mil for 1615sq ft:scared-3: . Ya, trying to set benchmark for Luxus Hill. Pavilion Park $2.65mil for 1614sqft (land)...

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/9527053/for-sale-pavilion-park

buttercarp
27-04-12, 18:28
Ya, trying to set benchmark for Luxus Hill. Pavilion Park $2.65mil for 1614sqft (land)...

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/9527053/for-sale-pavilion-park

The new phase of PP is NS facing which makes it more attractive than the previous phase.
But at least it is relatively acceptable, unlike Luxus Hills:tongue3: .
The Springside also relatively reasonable.
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/9028847/for-sale-the-springside-brooks-collection-new-laun

Blue
27-04-12, 18:31
With only 70,000 landed properties in Singapore with a population of over 5 million, it is no brainer that landed prices will continue to soar!

As more and more landed are sold to developers who turn them into apts and condos, the supply is getting fewer each day!

As the price gap (in terms of quantum) between landed and condos widens, only the priviledge ones can own and stay in landed.

Land itself (excluding rebuilding cost) now sells for $1000psf on avg, it will head for $1500psf very soon!

lajia
27-04-12, 19:30
With only 70,000 landed properties in Singapore with a population of over 5 million, it is no brainer that landed prices will continue to soar!

As more and more landed are sold to developers who turn them into apts and condos, the supply is getting fewer each day!

As the price gap (in terms of quantum) between landed and condos widens, only the priviledge ones can own and stay in landed.

Land itself (excluding rebuilding cost) now sells for $1000psf on avg, it will head for $1500psf very soon!

After hearing this I think don't wait already...go buy now :D but still can't afford FH...

focus
27-04-12, 19:38
Ya boy.. I am also starting my engine to look at landed now.
Think must buy within this 3months.

bullman
27-04-12, 21:31

I was looking very hard in D15 and most original condition small inter terrace are going for 1100 to 1200 psf

lajia
27-04-12, 21:43
I was looking very hard in D15 and most original condition small inter terrace are going for 1100 to 1200 psf

Maybe u should go further up as in D20+ and the money saved can get you min 1 SLK...:p And maybe better condition or new ones.

hyenergix
27-04-12, 21:50

No need to look so hard. Just buy up the entire row since you are a bull!

bullman
27-04-12, 22:17
No need to look so hard. Just buy up the entire row since you are a bull!

Its almost impossible to get a row of terrace nowadays unless one is a big scale developer with deep pockets.

bullman
27-04-12, 22:19
Maybe u should go further up as in D20+ and the money saved can get you min 1 SLK...:p And maybe better condition or new ones.

Thanks for the advice but I prefer D15. The money saved should be put in the bank as cash reserve amounting to 3 years of mortgage payments.

BTW, I am a Beemer fan. :D

bullman
27-04-12, 22:21

You will soon understand my frustrations. Most sellers are not really serious anyway, even when you meet their asking, they withdraw the unit from market.

land118
27-04-12, 22:26
You will soon understand my frustrations. Most sellers are not really serious anyway, even when you meet their asking, they withdraw the unit from market.
Ya, many not serious about selling, tikam tikam, owners sometimes put up becos Agent keep pestering them to try & see if offer meet their expectation...

hyenergix
27-04-12, 22:31
Landed looks damn good from outside, but only for big ones you feel the shiokness of space. Else condos seem to be a better choice for actual living, and not for investment.

buttercarp
27-04-12, 22:37
Thanks for the advice but I prefer D15. The money saved should be put in the bank as cash reserve amounting to 3 years of mortgage payments.

BTW, I am a Beemer fan. :D

I also like D15 as I grew up in the east and have been staying in the east eversince.
I am gonna miss katong once I shift.
But beggars can't be choosers, so I have settled for something away from my beloved eastern side.
So with the amount of money saved by getting an ulu house, I might just consider buying the ultra light Audi A6 :D .

buttercarp
27-04-12, 22:40
Landed looks damn good from outside, but only for big ones you feel the shiokness of space. Else condos seem to be a better choice for actual living, and not for investment.

You are quite right.
But for condo cannot stay in old ones.
Otherwise a lot of headache.
Each year after attending the AGM, I get so frustrated and last year was the last straw and that spurred me to make the move to get a landed.

lajia
27-04-12, 22:44

Sounds like cluster housing could be your choice :p pricing play a part also, 1.5mil condo & 1.5mil landed, within same district, I would rather go for landed...my opinion.

focus
27-04-12, 23:37

Have not looked at the old ones. But the newly built ones are all keen to sell ..hehe..

buttercarp
27-04-12, 23:39

Wah so stressful.... got time limit one ar?
Where you looking at?

What do you think of this one?
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/7020206/for-sale-open-house-31-jln-chegar-thomson-gdn-est-

kane
28-04-12, 00:43
land size so small...

bullman
28-04-12, 06:44
Have not looked at the old ones. But the newly built ones are all keen to sell ..hehe..

I have looked through them and realised that there are some which represent good value. BTW, I am looking for a D15 inter on my sister's behalf, and she prefers something whereby she can configure the layout from scratch.

bullman
28-04-12, 06:46
I also like D15 as I grew up in the east and have been staying in the east eversince.
I am gonna miss katong once I shift.
But beggars can't be choosers, so I have settled for something away from my beloved eastern side.
So with the amount of money saved by getting an ulu house, I might just consider buying the ultra light Audi A6 :D .

I think that in your case, the difference can get you a baby Lambo.

hyenergix
28-04-12, 07:01
You are quite right.
But for condo cannot stay in old ones.
Otherwise a lot of headache.
Each year after attending the AGM, I get so frustrated and last year was the last straw and that spurred me to make the move to get a landed.

Looking at my friends' landed, I would say landed is actually high maintenance. Those that claim low maintenance actually didn't really maintain well, or are very lucky with their sound structure, good contractors workmanship, lack of pests or weeds, no heavy digging nearby etc. So you won't get into arguments over maintenance in landed, but you either save and let the house rot or pay to restore the condition.

bullman
28-04-12, 07:08
Looking at my friends' landed, I would say landed is actually high maintenance. Those that claim low maintenance actually didn't really maintain well, or are very lucky with their sound structure, good contractors workmanship, lack of pests or weeds, no heavy digging nearby etc. So you won't get into arguments over maintenance in landed, but you either save and let the house rot or pay to restore the condition.

From my observation of those that units were recently rebuilt, most do not have a garden or the garden is really minimal. I guess the new profile of owners prefer max built in. In the set-back areas, most prefer a water feature/lap pool etc rather than greenery.

hyenergix
28-04-12, 07:15
From my observation of those that units were recently rebuilt, most do not have a garden or the garden is really minimal. I guess the new profile of owners prefer max built in. In the set-back areas, most prefer a water feature/lap pool etc rather than greenery.

That's what makes the entire landed property area very hot and dry nowadays. It is made worse by the high BTOs, ECs, condos etc around them. The latest victims are those staying in Jalan Kayu area, where in front are giant BTOs and at the back are the Seletar Aerospace.

bullman
28-04-12, 08:07
That's what makes the entire landed property area very hot and dry nowadays. It is made worse by the high BTOs, ECs, condos etc around them. The latest victims are those staying in Jalan Kayu area, where in front are giant BTOs and at the back are the Seletar Aerospace.

Thats very true. I guess you are an early bird like myself looking at Classified on a Sat morning. There are indeed 1-2 good buys today in D15. Maybe its my lucky day after 2 months of tough luck.

hyenergix
28-04-12, 08:23
Thats very true. I guess you are an early bird like myself looking at Classified on a Sat morning. There are indeed 1-2 good buys today in D15. Maybe its my lucky day after 2 months of tough luck.

SPH should just digitize the advertisements and make our search easier online. Other property websites will be forced to shut down or go into niche areas.

carbuncle
28-04-12, 09:08
SPH should just digitize the advertisements and make our search easier online. Other property websites will be forced to shut down or go into niche areas.
It already is. Check out www.data.com.sg includes listings from agencies and papers. Bro hyena you so green ah...

hyenergix
28-04-12, 09:13
It already is. Check out www.data.com.sg includes listings from agencies and papers. Bro hyena you so green ah...

Ok, thanks. Ya, I'm still very green in properties...

carbuncle
28-04-12, 09:15
Ok, thanks. Ya, I'm still very green in properties...
No sweat. We all learn from one another. Give you the exact link - coz the sea of links are confusing. www.data.com.sg/pspublic/PostSrchpte.fxp?cID=singapore its FOC

bullman
28-04-12, 09:46
Found a good deal at last in D15. Off I go for viewing with cheque.

land118
28-04-12, 09:57
Found a good deal at last in D15. Off I go for viewing with cheque.
Solid man! Early bird catches the worm. Best of luck!

Blue
30-04-12, 12:02

Smaller landed houses like studios and 1 bedders in condos sell at higher psf because of low quantum in terms of $$$.

You be surprised that a search on propertyguru for D20 - smaller land 1000 sqft are asking $1500psf already!

Blue
30-04-12, 12:08

Try buying apartments or cluster house, and you will know what is high maintenance. This is especially true if you hardly use the facilities while your neighbours use / abuse them to the max extent, and you'll have to pay for their actions. :doh:

Landed if designed and built correctly, can save a lot on maintenance. Most problem area is the exterior facade which need to invest in wall claddings that are weather proof. No need to pay $300 to $400 per month like condos. Condos if want to repaint the weathered facade have to wait 5 yrs and see if sinking funds enough to support or not. Landed, you can do it anytime or even DIY. :cheers4:

buttercarp
30-04-12, 14:20
I think that in your case, the difference can get you a baby Lambo.

I'd rather use that kind of money to buy an MM.
Btw.... did you get the landed that you were eyeing at?

hyenergix
30-04-12, 14:29
Try buying apartments or cluster house, and you will know what is high maintenance. This is especially true if you hardly use the facilities while your neighbours use / abuse them to the max extent, and you'll have to pay for their actions. :doh:

Landed if designed and built correctly, can save a lot on maintenance. Most problem area is the exterior facade which need to invest in wall claddings that are weather proof. No need to pay $300 to $400 per month like condos. Condos if want to repaint the weathered facade have to wait 5 yrs and see if sinking funds enough to support or not. Landed, you can do it anytime or even DIY. :cheers4:

DIY for landed is impractical, dangerous and not cost-effective. If you can afford to stay in landed, please don't scrimp on maintenance. It's like seeing luxurious drivers kenna parking ticket - Malu.

buttercarp
30-04-12, 14:33
DIY for landed is impractical, dangerous and not cost-effective. If you can afford to stay in landed, please don't scrimp on maintenance. It's like seeing luxurious drivers kenna parking ticket - Malu.

Ya lor.... just set aside $300 aside every month, as though paying monthly maintenance in a condo.

lajia
30-04-12, 16:10

why cluster house high maintenance? I thought condo also paying maintenance? I would say it will not be worthwhile if you pay and not able to use the facility or something like that...in fact, i prefer cluster house :) got security, got gym, etc...i dont intend to rebuilt or to do anything extra or modify it though. and at least i know the area is guarded especially some of us go on business trip often. safety also one impt aspect.

amk
30-04-12, 16:30
... Most problem area is the exterior facade ...

how much do you pay to maintain the carpet grass ?

do u have a small pool ? how much do u pay for the maintenance of the pool ?

Blue
01-05-12, 23:24

It depends on what kind of maintenance. Dun tell me touching up the paint on ur boundary wall and gate, grass cutting also use professionals? Of cos if u need to paint the 3rd floor of ur facade wall, u need scaffolding and cant DIY. Luxurious car drivers kena parking ticket sometimes not bec of saving $ but could be other reasons such as dun wan to squeeze in cramped parking lots with the possibility of a dented door by some irresponsible idiots. They rather risk paying $70 parking on double yellow lines than to risk spending $500 just to get their ferraris resprayed the entire door panel.

Also, it is not merely abt how much one makes but how much one saves from what he makes.

Beco of pple like u, landed owners always kena ketoh when looking for contractors cos they will charge exhorbitant prices!

Blue
01-05-12, 23:31
why cluster house high maintenance? I thought condo also paying maintenance? I would say it will not be worthwhile if you pay and not able to use the facility or something like that...in fact, i prefer cluster house :) got security, got gym, etc...i dont intend to rebuilt or to do anything extra or modify it though. and at least i know the area is guarded especially some of us go on business trip often. safety also one impt aspect.

Usually cluster hses are of smaller scale, ie not more than 30 hses. There is no economies of scale to engage contractors to do landscaping, general cleaning, pool and lift maintenance, let alone paying for 2 security guards salaries on shift rotations. The monthly maintenance fees just for these will be high. There is hardly any balance left to be put into sinking funds for repainting works and other repairs.

xebay11
02-05-12, 08:21
Luxurious car drivers kena parking ticket sometimes not bec of saving $ but could be other reasons such as dun wan to squeeze in cramped parking lots with the possibility of a dented door by some irresponsible idiots. They rather risk paying $70 parking on double yellow lines than to risk spending $500 just to get their ferraris resprayed the entire door panel.

Shhhh dun let the cat out of the bag, I am one of them hee hee.....must add in that not everytime u park illegally u will get fined....it is a sum of probability and then there is also the benefit of convenience...you would not believe this but I save hell lots by doing this then paying actual parking fees everytime.

xebay11
02-05-12, 08:25

Dun have carpet grass, pave the whole external and/or put in artifical grass and plastic timber decking.

stl67
02-05-12, 09:53

carpet grass is a nightmare.. in the end give up. so what I did was to buy some lose piece of granities and lay on top and then buy stone pebbles to spread around. still can see some wild grass squeezing out through the pebbles.
about swimming pool, i was told it is about min $80 dollar/mth.
i know how to maitain the koi filtration system but wonder if they are similar to the swimming pool.
in the end, all voice down to time, lazy lah if the owner wants to DIY.

lajia
02-05-12, 10:07
Usually cluster hses are of smaller scale, ie not more than 30 hses. There is no economies of scale to engage contractors to do landscaping, general cleaning, pool and lift maintenance, let alone paying for 2 security guards salaries on shift rotations. The monthly maintenance fees just for these will be high. There is hardly any balance left to be put into sinking funds for repainting works and other repairs.

so how many is ideal?? this is a diff question...too many u pay too little and can be over crowded and then if too few, u pay a lot and maybe like u said, not enough fund to do this and that...i guess this also got to consider the land size.

Blue
02-05-12, 11:23
so how many is ideal?? this is a diff question...too many u pay too little and can be over crowded and then if too few, u pay a lot and maybe like u said, not enough fund to do this and that...i guess this also got to consider the land size.

If want to buy cluster, look for bigger developments eg. Verdana, Poets Villa. I have a frd who stays in cluster with only 7 houses in the entire development. First 2 years, everything is so nice and neat. Maintenance fees are low as well since facilities are new. As time goes by, maintenance fees just climb higher each year. Contractors all start to raise prices quoting reasons of inflation and higher salaries for their staff. Worst is those owners who rent out to expats. These expats no need to pay maintenance and just abuse the facilities. They even invite frds to come happy hour evey other day. The other owners who stay there suffer and have to pay for their actions. Any repairs or rectifications have to go through the Management Committee. There's also all kinds of regulatons and by-laws to abide with.

Having your own landed, you control the damage done to your property. At least you pay for your own actions. You can design it in such way to save maintenance. Whatever you want to do, it is up to you and no need to get approvals (except if the works require government authorities approval of cos). The drawback is your own facilities may not be as huge scale as the clusters or condos.

Blue
02-05-12, 11:26
carpet grass is a nightmare.. in the end give up. so what I did was to buy some lose piece of granities and lay on top and then buy stone pebbles to spread around. still can see some wild grass squeezing out through the pebbles.
about swimming pool, i was told it is about min $80 dollar/mth.
i know how to maitain the koi filtration system but wonder if they are similar to the swimming pool.
in the end, all voice down to time, lazy lah if the owner wants to DIY.

In other countries, pple maintain their own pool and grass patch. I dun see how difficult is that for our hses whereby the land is so much smaller. You just need to hv the equipment and the time to do it.

stl67
02-05-12, 13:43
In other countries, pple maintain their own pool and grass patch. I dun see how difficult is that for our hses whereby the land is so much smaller. You just need to hv the equipment and the time to do it.
True, in sg, malaysia most owners ask contractors to come and maintain, hardly DIY because the labour here is still ok.
In Australia and Europe, most people DIY because labour is way too high. I got 1 German colleague who used to repair/maintain his motor bike in his younger days.

realestates1
21-05-12, 14:24
ECG in the realestate of the process What is mean by ecg? can u explain me?