PDA

View Full Version : Tiny US town fetches $900,000 at auction

reporter2
06-04-12, 12:03
http://news.yahoo.com/americas-smallest-town-sale-185812355.html?ugccmtnav=v1%2Fcomments%2Fcontext%2F2d89d142-97d1-369a-825a-f8a65b0c0a2b%2Fcomments%3Fcount%3D20%26sortBy%3DmostReplied

Tiny US town fetches $900,000 at auction

AFP – 5 hrs ago

LOS ANGELES - Billed as the smallest town in America, Buford, Wyoming, was sold at auction Thursday for $900,000 to a Vietnamese national who wants to remain anonymous, the seller told AFP.

Twenty-five bidders signed up for the auction, held online and on-site, of the town with its three-bedroom house, school, gas station and several other buildings.

Buford's last inhabitant and the owner of the buildings, Don Sammons, 61, told AFP the package went to a Vietnamese man from Ho Chi Minh City.

"He actually flew here from Vietnam. He was on site," said Sammons.

The winner had to battle it out with bidders from Hong Kong, New York, Florida, Kansas and Wyoming, with the bidding starting at $100,000. Some called in their offers by phone but about 20 people were on site.

"I'm happy and I'm sad all at once," said Sammons. "But I'm more happy than sad because this is all I wanted."

"I can continue and start the next chapter of my life," he said, adding that he planned to go someplace with sandy beaches and "maybe a palm tree" for a week or two before writing a book about his life in Buford.

The former railroad stop once was home to about 2,000 people. But they started moving away after train service ended, until the sign at the entrance to town read, "Buford. Population: 1."

The buyer will get 10 acres of land. Besides the house, a garage, cabin and barn, the property includes a cellphone tower and a parking lot that a trucking company uses to switch trailers at night.

The Buford Trading Post, as the outpost is called, benefits from regular traffic along the I-80 interstate, with Wyoming's state capital Cheyenne just 30 miles (50 kilometers) to the east, and San Francisco 1,150 miles to the west.

radha08
06-04-12, 12:39
in singapore that will fetch 9 million maybe more...

lufu
06-04-12, 13:02
what's the point of owning a town in the middle of nowhere? I could buy a few hundred acres somewhere in Canada too.

$9mil, would buy a Garden villa at Reflections at Keppel with Sentosa view anytime than a god forsaken town in US

roly8
06-04-12, 13:18
what's the point of owning a town in the middle of nowhere? I could buy a few hundred acres somewhere in Canada too.

$9mil, would buy a Garden villa at Reflections at Keppel with Sentosa view anytime than a god forsaken town in US

depend on what u build on & who you market it to...

radha08
06-04-12, 16:47

ya but the singaporean would plant palm trees,build a pond,put in a playground and market it as a LIFESTYLE condo and make MILLIONS by selling TO IDIOTS:doh: