PDA

View Full Version : COE $82k. Still cheap?

Pages : [1] 2

price
22-03-12, 10:12
Comparing with 1994's high of 110k :beats-me-man:

ysyap
22-03-12, 10:23
Considering inflation and comparing with 1994, it is still v cheap. However, in absolute figures, its threading on ridiculous levels already. :scared-3:

ahsoh88
22-03-12, 11:01
My hongkong friends says that Singapore COE is still very cheap compare to hongkong where only really "rich' people can own car !

devilplate
22-03-12, 11:08
How come my car trade in value nvr increase one! :(

Gona be my first virgin time driving a car till scrap liao.....wakakakaka

price
22-03-12, 11:39
How come my car trade in value nvr increase one! :(

Gona be my first virgin time driving a car till scrap liao.....wakakakaka

:( my car only left 2 years. siao liao:doh:

price
22-03-12, 11:40
Considering inflation and comparing with 1994, it is still v cheap. However, in absolute figures, its threading on ridiculous levels already. :scared-3:

Hahaha, Early morning FB got flooded with tonnes of complaints about COE @ such prices. Wonder what happened in 1994.

devilplate
22-03-12, 11:45
Hahaha, Early morning FB got flooded with tonnes of complaints about COE @ such prices. Wonder what happened in 1994.
I heard ppl flip cars during tat period! Wakakaka tio fried deep deep for those who hold the last baby at 110k coe

price
22-03-12, 11:51
I heard ppl flip cars during tat period! Wakakaka tio fried deep deep for those who hold the last baby at 110k coe

Cars also can flip 1 meh? I thought once pass onto first buyer Depreciation is crazy :scared-4:

devilplate
22-03-12, 11:59
Cars also can flip 1 meh? I thought once pass onto first buyer Depreciation is crazy :scared-4:
Bcoz coe keep increasing.....den some of them keep changing new cars la.....can even make small profit for their trade in car.....but very silly one la.....

hyenergix
22-03-12, 12:03

We are very likely to surpass $110k Cat B COE next year once the COE quota is cut. Cat A will swell as people downgrade from Cat B. Situation is getting bad...

price
22-03-12, 12:06
Now Toyota no 120k no talk? :sleep:

devilplate
22-03-12, 12:16
Now Toyota no 120k no talk? :sleep:
Swift sport oredi 10xk......omg!

ysyap
22-03-12, 14:22
Cars also can flip 1 meh? I thought once pass onto first buyer Depreciation is crazy :scared-4:You want to flip? Buy now... when COE hits $120k next year, you've gained $35k in one year. Consider depreciation even at $30k/yr, you can still sell your car @ a profit of $5k same time next year. Lol!:cool:

price
22-03-12, 14:27
You want to flip? Buy now... when COE hits $120k next year, you've gained $35k in one year. Consider depreciation even at $30k/yr, you can still sell your car @ a profit of $5k same time next year. Lol!:cool:

Use $120k to earn 5K through such risks? 120k can very easily get u another $5k in a year!

ysyap
22-03-12, 14:42
Use $120k to earn 5K through such risks? 120k can very easily get u another $5k in a year!Lol.... ok... returns may even be 10k... whatever... :cheers5:

minority
22-03-12, 20:42

in 1994 people page their friend then kao pay kao bu.

ysyap
22-03-12, 21:28
COE prices up... even motor insurance companies are making profits... car owners are therefore the greatest losers... :doh:

Last year, the local motor insurance industry achieved an underwriting profit of S$21.2 million. :cool:

Before you can digest these price hikes, fuel prices also climbed and still climbing... :scared-3:

land118
22-03-12, 21:50
masses and middle class are unhappy with transport matters? MRT breakdown again, again and again, now become norm. COE and cost relating to owning a car up & up, becoming more & more out of reach of middle class. next GE how? SME also upset, Goods Vehicle COE so high now, difficult to survive. Many may just be upset over these matters...; another reason to vote & repent?:scared-1:

hyenergix
22-03-12, 22:31
Any idea when the new Lexus IS will be launching?

kane
22-03-12, 22:53

you called borneo yet? how COE can come down when you're still bio-ing cars like IS.

hyenergix
22-03-12, 22:56
you called borneo yet? how COE can come down when you're still bio-ing cars like IS.

Read in article around 2014, not confirmed leh. Okay, tmr will go and disturb car agent...

kane
22-03-12, 22:58
Read in article around 2014, not confirmed leh. Okay, tmr will go and disturb car agent...

2014?! a bit early to be bio-ing right? are the sneak peak designs even out yet??

hyenergix
22-03-12, 23:10
2014?! a bit early to be bio-ing right? are the sneak peak designs even out yet??

Everything under cover leh, so really don't know. Toyota has been shifting its focus to Lexus and hybrids. It's bread and butter Toyota CMI in terms of design and technology breakthrough.

kane
22-03-12, 23:14
Everything under cover leh, so really don't know. Toyota has been shifting its focus to Lexus and hybrids. It's bread and butter Toyota CMI in terms of design and technology breakthrough.

as long as the car doesn't need me to send in for some ad hoc repairs within the first 6 months, i'll be very happy liao. my colleague just kenna one, 2 times send back to workshop within 6 months. it was a continental brand...

reliability is above all else for me. i don't need breakthrough technology...

but speaking of which, i hear their hybrid technology is pretty good.

and if you talk about design, their new mark x is actually quite nice, but the lower models can't seem to make it... the new camry looks kinda promising so far though.

hyenergix
22-03-12, 23:34
as long as the car doesn't need me to send in for some ad hoc repairs within the first 6 months, i'll be very happy liao. my colleague just kenna one, 2 times send back to workshop within 6 months. it was a continental brand...

reliability is above all else for me. i don't need breakthrough technology...

but speaking of which, i hear their hybrid technology is pretty good.

and if you talk about design, their new mark x is actually quite nice, but the lower models can't seem to make it... the new camry looks kinda promising so far though.

To design vios to camry, toyota juz pressed e resize button.

kane
22-03-12, 23:42

I agree, and when it got to mark x, the design team suddenly woke up!

ysyap
23-03-12, 07:39
you called borneo yet? how COE can come down when you're still bio-ing cars like IS.Only bio... not buy... me also bioing lots of cars... :D only bio.

ysyap
23-03-12, 07:41
To design vios to camry, toyota juz pressed e resize button.Its small medium and large size for vios, altis and camry. :)

ysyap
23-03-12, 07:43
I agree, and when it got to mark x, the design team suddenly woke up!The previous Mark X design was v sleek and nice too. Think Borneo pump in more for this model. In fact, that previous Mark X design was in the market over 2 generations of Camry. Has great appeal to drivers.

hyenergix
23-03-12, 07:54
The previous Mark X design was v sleek and nice too. Think Borneo pump in more for this model. In fact, that previous Mark X design was in the market over 2 generations of Camry. Has great appeal to drivers.

I heard Mark X was rumored to be a Lexus, but eventually the design went over to Toyota when the Lexus division was created. That's why it is in a class of its own. Savings hard now for the COE (not even the car yet) haha

ysyap
23-03-12, 07:56
I heard Mark X was rumored to be a Lexus, but eventually the design went over to Toyota when the Lexus division was created. That's why it is in a class of its own. Savings hard now for the COE (not even the car yet) hahaI will not be surprised if what you said is true... :)

kane
23-03-12, 08:12
Yeah won't be surprising, there is a certain degree of cutting edge to it.

devilplate
23-03-12, 09:18
mark x handling quite bad.....actually lexus aso same same.....steering wheel no feel at all

devilplate
23-03-12, 09:20
one thing gd abt lexus is the super quiet cabin.....gd for those sedate drivers.....

devilplate
23-03-12, 09:31
its the same across other brands wat

it shd be like tat....continuality of the brand's DNA mah.....how can every model be vastly different in design rite?

devilplate
23-03-12, 09:32
I agree, and when it got to mark x, the design team suddenly woke up!
mark x only looks great when compared to camry hor.....

wakakakaka

devilplate
23-03-12, 09:36
not so soon la....rumored to be 2014....

buy new GS la but too me it looks weird.....expect new IS to be similar in design too

lexus retain same engine rite for GS....so boring

hyenergix
23-03-12, 09:41
not so soon la....rumored to be 2014....

buy new GS la but too me it looks weird.....expect new IS to be similar in design too

lexus retain same engine rite for GS....so boring

IS will be my next car! I still rem 2009 the car agent offered IS 250 for <$110k to me but I din take up as I just ordered another car. Now IS is >$210k.

price
23-03-12, 09:42
mark x only looks great when compared to camry hor.....

wakakakaka

Bro, C180, BMW 3, Audi A4, or maybe Volvo S60 (But now China brand :()? Which will u pick? :D

devilplate
23-03-12, 09:44
IS will be my next car! I still rem 2009 the car agent offered IS 250 for <$110k to me but I din take up as I just ordered another car. Now IS is >$210k.
where got so big difference of 100k? COE up by 75k max only wat....

u compared basic with luxury pricing isit.....ur 110k is basic model and after discount whereas 210k is luxury model b4 discount?

IS super boring.....2.5V6 is so outdated liao.....but i must say their seats very comfy anf cabin super quiet.....gd to be chauffered ard but definitely not a driver's car....wakakakaka

hyenergix
23-03-12, 09:49

u compared basic with luxury pricing isit.....ur 110k is basic model and after discount whereas 210k is luxury model b4 discount?

IS super boring.....2.5V6 is so outdated liao.....but i must say their seats very comfy anf cabin super quiet.....gd to be chauffered ard but definitely not a driver's car....wakakakaka

Ya, waiting for a new engine but read that it might be 4 cylinders. Too much TCSS here. Back to work already. C u guys!

devilplate
23-03-12, 09:51
Bro, C180, BMW 3, Audi A4, or maybe Volvo S60 (But now China brand :()? Which will u pick? :D
i tested all the above b4.....

my pick will be latest 3 series!(haven test drive but i heard much better den older 3 series!!!) but the pricing aso the highest.....new 320 oredi >200k lor....disgusting......

c180 vs A4 1.8T vs S60 1.6.....i will choose C180 bcoz of the 7Gtronic gearbox and rear wheel drive

s60 seats very comfy but totally lousy handling.....FWD and steering wheel no feel.....

A4 slightly better handling den S60 but their CVT gearbox sucks big time (minimally must get their A4 2.0T wif 7sp dual clutch but den shd compared wif S60 2.0 and C200/C250 and BMW 328 liao)

price
23-03-12, 09:56
i tested all the above b4.....

my pick will be latest 3 series!(haven test drive but i heard much better den older 3 series!!!) but the pricing aso the highest.....new 320 oredi >200k lor....disgusting......

c180 vs A4 1.8T vs S60 1.6.....i will choose C180 bcoz of the 7Gtronic gearbox and rear wheel drive

s60 seats very comfy but totally lousy handling.....FWD and steering wheel no feel.....

A4 slightly better handling den S60 but their CVT gearbox sucks big time (minimally must get their A4 2.0T wif 7sp dual clutch but den shd compared wif S60 2.0 and C200/C250 and BMW 328 liao)

Wah 320 so exp now? My buddy just bought a 323i (PI) convertible @ 200k leh? Maybe 1 month ago? Are your prices from Performance?

I'm seeing more and more S60s around these days. Perhaps the price tag lowest tats why?

Haha your analysis is based on actual driving feel. Mine was based on brand name and looks. That's why i picked the 180

Shall go test drive the new bm3! :cheers2:

devilplate
23-03-12, 10:00
Wah 320 so exp now? My buddy just bought a 323i (PI) convertible @ 200k leh? Maybe 1 month ago? Are your prices from Performance?

I'm seeing more and more S60s around these days. Perhaps the price tag lowest tats why?

Haha your analysis is based on actual driving feel. Mine was based on brand name and looks. That's why i picked the 180

Shall go test drive the new bm3! :cheers2:
my pricing is based on latest new 3 series hor.....who is interested wif 323i anymore??? detuned 2.5L inline6 .....smooth engine but simply no power liao.....turbo is the way to go ;)

to be exact new 320 cost i tink 21xk now after less.....crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

funny leh....if based on brand/looks.....volvo definitely OUT liao.....and tot for a yng chap of 24yo shd go for A4 for the bling bling LED lights rite? wakakaka....merc abit ah pek for 24yo leh.....wakakakaka

u shd go for A5 1.8T coupe PI for the best looks and pocket frenly.....

price
23-03-12, 10:13
my pricing is based on latest new 3 series hor.....who is interested wif 323i anymore??? detuned 2.5L inline6 .....smooth engine but simply no power liao.....turbo is the way to go ;)

to be exact new 320 cost i tink 21xk now after less.....crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

funny leh....if based on brand/looks.....volvo definitely OUT liao.....and tot for a yng chap of 24yo shd go for A4 for the bling bling LED lights rite? wakakaka....merc abit ah pek for 24yo leh.....wakakakaka

u shd go for A5 1.8T coupe PI for the best looks and pocket frenly.....

Me no like 2 doors :D Gotta ferry my mummy around wat.

Ya many ppl say i like ah pek cars. But I guess i'm just biased towards merc. lol

Dont think A4 is nice leh. Maybe S5

devilplate
23-03-12, 10:22
Me no like 2 doors :D Gotta ferry my mummy around wat.

Ya many ppl say i like ah pek cars. But I guess i'm just biased towards merc. lol

Dont think A4 is nice leh. Maybe S5
to me A4 definitely more hippy den C .....LOL

tats y i recommend u to go for A5 coupe mah for best looks....got A5 SB wat....4seater :D

the new facelifted A5 SB ok leh....although i prefer the older one

no nid to waste $$ on S5.....gers aso duno u pay alot more for it and in SG, 3L v6 supercharged is way way overkill

but den i nrly got myself a 2nd hand S5 V8 last yr......the V8 engine sound STEAM MAN!!!!

ysyap
23-03-12, 11:09
COE prices up... even motor insurance companies are making profits... car owners are therefore the greatest losers... :doh:

Last year, the local motor insurance industry achieved an underwriting profit of S$21.2 million. :cool:

Before you can digest these price hikes, fuel prices also climbed and still climbing... :scared-3: Signs that crude futures may hit much higher levels are converging, say oil traders and analysts, some of whom predict that Brent (Intercontinental Exchange Europe: LCOCV1) crude could reach $200 a barrel within the next 12 months.

Singapore based cars are no longer for everybody liao... :scared-3:

hyenergix
23-03-12, 11:16
Signs that crude futures may hit much higher levels are converging, say oil traders and analysts, some of whom predict that Brent (Intercontinental Exchange Europe: LCOCV1) crude could reach $200 a barrel within the next 12 months.

I hope this triggers scrapping of cars.

devilplate
23-03-12, 11:17
Signs that crude futures may hit much higher levels are converging, say oil traders and analysts, some of whom predict that Brent (Intercontinental Exchange Europe: LCOCV1) crude could reach $200 a barrel within the next 12 months.

actually crude oil prices haven catch up wif inflation yet...tats wat i read somewhr....

remember in 2008, there is a spike in oil prices? den later on lehman bro burst and oil px crash down to below $40

ysyap
23-03-12, 11:19
I hope this triggers scrapping of cars.And our lovely govt still wants to trim the number of COEs to be given out? Sure got problem lah... its a vicious cycle. The higher the COE prices, the more people will hold on to their older cars which will in turn further reduce the number of certificates available. Then this will further drive the COE prices and here we go again. The rules of the game must change lah...:scared-3:

ysyap
23-03-12, 11:22
actually crude oil prices haven catch up wif inflation yet...tats wat i read somewhr....

remember in 2008, there is a spike in oil prices? den later on lehman bro burst and oil px crash down to below $402 ways to look at this... inflation rates are too high so its a good thing to have that little bit more of breathing space if oil prices have caught up or oil prices are catchin up too quickly and it might well overtake inflation rate to push it further up up up... :scared-3:.

devilplate
23-03-12, 11:22
And our lovely govt still wants to trim the number of COEs to be given out? Sure got problem lah... its a vicious cycle. The higher the COE prices, the more people will hold on to their older cars which will in turn further reduce the number of certificates available. Then this will further drive the COE prices and here we go again. The rules of the game must change lah...:scared-3:
COE reduction is the way to go.....

perhaps they shd hf more categories for COE quota.....2nd car onwards per household liao bid under another category.....taxis applicable too?

COE reduction and lots more MRT lines coming up simply means our MIW will push for higher population......gd for landlords lor....;)

ysyap
23-03-12, 11:33

perhaps they shd hf more categories for COE quota.....2nd car onwards per household liao bid under another category.....taxis applicable too?

COE reduction and lots more MRT lines coming up simply means our MIW will push for higher population......gd for landlords lor....;)Good point... hmmm... buy property better than buy cars... Lol! :D

fclim
23-03-12, 11:34
And our lovely govt still wants to trim the number of COEs to be given out? Sure got problem lah... its a vicious cycle. The higher the COE prices, the more people will hold on to their older cars which will in turn further reduce the number of certificates available. Then this will further drive the COE prices and here we go again. The rules of the game must change lah...:scared-3:

No choice. Last few years too liberal and car population exploded.

The higher the price of a car, the higher its status symbol. Only the rich can afford and many people will still chase for it, like private condos. Poor people go public, in housing and transport.

price
23-03-12, 11:35

COE reduction and lots more MRT lines coming up simply means our MIW will push for higher population......gd for landlords lor....;)

Good idea on the 2nd car COE category. The rich gets richer and splurge on cars!

fclim
23-03-12, 11:39
Good idea on the 2nd car COE category. The rich gets richer and splurge on cars!

No difference wat. Total number of COEs must still remain the same. 1st car lagi siong with less COEs since some will be diverted to other cat.

Anyway, how to tell if it is 2nd car? 1st car, husband. 2nd car, wife. 3rd car, mother. etc...

ysyap
23-03-12, 11:41
No choice. Last few years too liberal and car population exploded.

The higher the price of a car, the higher its status symbol. Only the rich can afford and many people will still chase for it, like private condos. Poor people go public, in housing and transport.So govt budget pump in so much more into our transport system to cater to the middle class Singaporeans who will soon not afford a car liao.. hmmm... :rolleyes:

devilplate
23-03-12, 11:42
No difference wat. Total number of COEs must still remain the same. 1st car lagi siong with less COEs since some will be diverted to other cat.

Anyway, how to tell if it is 2nd car? 1st car, husband. 2nd car, wife. 3rd car, mother. etc...
1 car per household/same address lah

of coz same number of COE.....aiyo u dun get the idea.....lol

price
23-03-12, 11:42

Maybe set some HDB similar rulings. Form Family nucleus to be eligible to buy cars.

2nd car category supply less COEs lor? So the prices of this cat of COE will be super sky high. lol

fclim
23-03-12, 11:43
So govt budget pump in so much more into our transport system to cater to the middle class Singaporeans who will soon not afford a car liao.. hmmm... :rolleyes:

SBS and SMRT buses need COE anot har? 900 additional buses to compete...

price
23-03-12, 11:44

Haha he mixing with PC ABSD logic, use ur wife name, son's name dog's name so u wont get ABSDed

devilplate
23-03-12, 11:44
Maybe set some HDB similar rulings. Form Family nucleus to be eligible to buy cars.

2nd car category supply less COEs lor? So the prices of this cat of COE will be super sky high. lol
super sky high the better.....the richies rich got one more thing to SHOW OFF

wakakakkakaka

price
23-03-12, 11:45
super sky high the better.....the richies rich got one more thing to SHOW OFF

wakakakkakaka

Ya maybe next time this category of vehicles got special coloured plates. i.e. Green or Yellow,

Super show off :D

ysyap
23-03-12, 11:46

2nd car category supply less COEs lor? So the prices of this cat of COE will be super sky high. lolLaggi better... families with 3 or more kids allowed to buy 2nd car with no COE... Lol... entice more couples to have children... Lol...:sleep:

price
23-03-12, 11:48
Laggi better... families with 3 or more kids allowed to buy 2nd car with no COE... Lol... entice more couples to have children... Lol...:sleep:

Ya, if your family nucleus got more than 4 kids, then got another special Category for you.

Able to pay car with ur CPF Special Account. Perks for doing Nation Building :D

fclim
23-03-12, 11:49

Can use father/mother name oso wat if live separate houses. Use Car Agent name to bid and register. Then transfer car after register. Can anot?

devilplate
23-03-12, 11:49
Ya, if your family nucleus got more than 4 kids, then got another special Category for you.

Able to pay car with ur CPF Special Account. Perks for doing Nation Building :D
4kids+ NO COE!!!! BESTESTEST

devilplate
23-03-12, 11:50
Can use father/mother name oso wat if live separate houses. Use Car Agent name to bid and register. Then transfer car after register. Can anot?
transfer den nid to bid for the correct COE category again la....loophole solved:D

price
23-03-12, 11:55
transfer den nid to bid for the correct COE category again la....loophole solved:D

Tats why i say must get HDB rules,

if they find out u try to "bluff" them, chiong gong your car and or gong you :D

price
23-03-12, 11:56
4kids+ NO COE!!!! BESTESTEST

Wah, my dad sure happy! i come from a family of 4 children :cheers1: My mum served the Nation lol

fclim
23-03-12, 12:02

Aiyo, too many loopholes. Open cat always use Agent/Co. name first, den transfer. Use brother, sister, cousin name how?

Best is car loans exclude COE. Must pay in cash. :scared-1:

ysyap
23-03-12, 13:27
Aiyo, too many loopholes. Open cat always use Agent/Co. name first, den transfer. Use brother, sister, cousin name how?

Best is car loans exclude COE. Must pay in cash. :scared-1:U will be surprised that there are people with such cash... Lol. Actually many people don't want to pay cash coz they use the money to invest and earn more than the interest rates imposed for motor loans. :spliff2:

Those people who take motor loan and keep their cash in the bank don't realize they are actually losing more.... :scared-3:

devilplate
24-03-12, 00:29

Best is car loans exclude COE. Must pay in cash. :scared-1:
Everything surely got loopholes...hdb policies lots of loopholes too....dun get caught lor :D

Ur suggestion favors the rich.....defeat the purpose

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 07:57
For those working in the senior management of MNCs, employee pays half of the car price and he/she get to own it. Not bad. Can certainly buy a good car like the 7 series BMW. :)
U will be surprised that there are people with such cash... Lol. Actually many people don't want to pay cash coz they use the money to invest and earn more than the interest rates imposed for motor loans. :spliff2:

Those people who take motor loan and keep their cash in the bank don't realize they are actually losing more.... :scared-3:

hyenergix
24-03-12, 07:58

Whenever COE increases, car dealers usually jack up previous price + increase in COE + extra margin. That's how they make extra bucks.

devilplate
24-03-12, 10:39
Whenever COE increases, car dealers usually jack up previous price + increase in COE + extra margin. That's how they make extra bucks.
tats not the usual case. no extra margin.....in fact certain models only up let say 10k when COE up by 15k for eg.

i haf been monitoring new car px since early 2011

those car px listed on sgcarmart is totally inaccurate......audi A4 2.0T for eg was listed for 221k.....last mth got promo for 20xk

ysyap
24-03-12, 10:50
For those working in the senior management of MNCs, employee pays half of the car price and he/she get to own it. Not bad. Can certainly buy a good car like the 7 series BMW. :)These are the people who don't require that extra subsidy from the companies... :doh:. Me kana cut big time by a BMW 730 and my humble Jap car got no power to give chase... :mad:

devilplate
24-03-12, 11:03
These are the people who don't require that extra subsidy from the companies... :doh:. Me kana cut big time by a BMW 730 and my humble Jap car got no power to give chase... :mad:
730 underpower one leh.....

drive a cheap rex can easily cut him back liao....if it makes u happier

wakakakaka

ysyap
24-03-12, 12:00
730 underpower one leh.....

drive a cheap rex can easily cut him back liao....if it makes u happier

wakakakakaWah liu... if 730 258Bhp underpower, then my jap car CMI already lor... :doh: I must start looking at Maserati 440Bhp liao... :cool:

devilplate
24-03-12, 12:10
Wah liu... if 730 258Bhp underpower, then my jap car CMI already lor... :doh: I must start looking at Maserati 440Bhp liao... :cool:
as i said, a cheap 2nd hand fully modified rex can cut 730 into pieces

730 super underpowered for its class(0-100 timing barely below 8s......a fully mod rex easily below 5s)

min 740 for 7 series if going for performance.....if not 730 is more for the cabin size and the badge

even a mod suzuki swift sport wif puny 1.6L NA engine can put up a close fight wif 730 in SG traffic condition(0-100kmph)(above 100kmph 730 surely win la.....wakakaka)

ysyap
24-03-12, 12:16

730 super underpowered for its class(0-100 timing barely below 8s......a fully mod rex easily below 5s)

min 740 for 7 series if going for performance.....if not 730 is more for the cabin size and the badge

even a mod suzuki swift sport wif puny 1.6L NA engine can put up a close fight wif 730 in SG traffic condition(0-100kmph)(above 100kmph 730 surely win la.....wakakaka)Yup.. u r right... Singapore road is helpful for such situations.... Lol! :cool:

hyenergix
24-03-12, 12:16
tats not the usual case. no extra margin.....in fact certain models only up let say 10k when COE up by 15k for eg.

i haf been monitoring new car px since early 2011

those car px listed on sgcarmart is totally inaccurate......audi A4 2.0T for eg was listed for 221k.....last mth got promo for 20xk

If u had bought in 2011 u wld have saved quite a bit. I'm sure tt e dealers wld do this discreetly. Did BMW or other continental car dealers reduce e increment in prices when Euro becomes cheaper even as COE becomes more expensive?

devilplate
24-03-12, 12:21
If u had bought in 2011 u wld have saved quite a bit. I'm sure tt e dealers wld do this discreetly. Did BMW or other continental car dealers reduce e increment in prices when Euro becomes cheaper even as COE becomes more expensive?
i oredi answer ur question mah ;)

i realised i saved more to continue driving my 6yo car lor....

still got about 4yrs time to wait for a COE correction....wakakakaka

solsys
24-03-12, 13:28

I also waiting for correction. Haha. Really don't make sense to buy now.

Everything looks rosy now and retail investors gg back into market, peak should not be too far away plus scrapping of cars to coincide.

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 16:04
I was in a 730 on the Malaysian Highway to Malaysia. Did not know feel that it was travelling at 180km/h. It is really a performance car. :cool:

even a mod suzuki swift sport wif puny 1.6L NA engine can put up a close fight wif 730 in SG traffic condition(0-100kmph)(above 100kmph 730 surely win la.....wakakaka)

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 16:06
My car is about that age. Unlikely to renew my COE, if it remains the same or higher. May take up the M2H scheme and own a nice Malaysian registration car.

devilplate
24-03-12, 16:19
My car is about that age. Unlikely to renew my COE, if it remains the same or higher. May take up the M2H scheme and own a nice Malaysian registration car.
U definitely can afford la....no nid to geng until m2h :D

devilplate
24-03-12, 16:20
I was in a 730 on the Malaysian Highway to Malaysia. Did not know feel that it was travelling at 180km/h. It is really a performance car. :cool:
Er....i guess we haf diff definition of 'performance'

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 16:22
Urh! So what is your definition?
Er....i guess we haf diff definition of 'performance'

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 16:24
Want to have lifestyle at value for $. Thinking of Yacht, reflection's view minus the flaring from the oil refinery, quieter, less jam, etc.
U definitely can afford la....no nid to geng until m2h :D

devilplate
24-03-12, 16:27
Want to have lifestyle at value for $. Thinking of Yacht, reflection's view minus the flaring from the oil refinery, quieter, less jam, etc.
Wait till msia crime rate in jb greatly improved first den i will consider living there....if not no matter how nice the view and how cheap the car is....no no for me

devilplate
24-03-12, 16:30
Urh! So what is your definition?
Pick up 0-100 minimally 6s, able to cut corner at 100kmph minimally

Smthing like dat la :D

Most of the big cc conti cars able to cruise comfortably at 200 .....;) i will refer it to build quality rather den performance

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 16:31
Just get the right project that is near to strategically importance building and crime will be lower.
Wait till msia crime rate in jb greatly improved first den i will consider living there....if not no matter how nice the view and how cheap the car is....no no for me

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 16:32
Will not drive like that even the car can perform. Too much risk at stake. Still want to live to enjoy life + style.
Pick up 0-100 minimally 6s, able to cut corner at 100kmph minimally

Smthing like dat la :D

Most of the big cc conti cars able to cruise comfortably at 200 .....;) i will refer it to build quality rather den performance

devilplate
24-03-12, 16:32
Just get the right project that is near to strategically importance building and crime will be lower.

Like whr? Which project under ur radar?

devilplate
24-03-12, 16:34
Will not drive like that even the car can perform. Too much risk at stake. Still want to live to enjoy life + style.
We r toking about the terms about performance....not asking u to drive like dat la...wakaka

Its super dangerous to cruise 180 in msia too u noe! Got many crazy drivers there.....u cannot brake in time one

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 16:34
i am sure you are fast enough to know which project with my description and if you follow by post in the last 1 week. :D

ahsoh88
24-03-12, 17:00
Looking at getting a new car, shortlist Volkwagen Jetta Sport and Nissan Qashqai. Any
feedback on performance and resale value is most appreciated.

thanks

devilplate
24-03-12, 17:19
Looking at getting a new car, shortlist Volkwagen Jetta Sport and Nissan Qashqai. Any

thanks
Goto vag forum for jetta

Nvr like nissan

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 18:08
Looking forward to the TOP of the FH project with high floor, unblock sea & marina view at a fraction of the price of Reflection in Singapore & large flr area with reasonable size planter & balcony, and all amenities are within walking distance with water taxi to singapore n nearby lrt stn. Hve given up hope of high $psf & yet small flr area in 99LH properties.

devilplate
24-03-12, 18:11
Looking forward to the TOP of the FH project with high floor, unblock sea & marina view at a fraction of the price of Reflection in Singapore & large flr area with reasonable size planter & balcony, and all amenities are within walking distance with water taxi to singapore n nearby lrt stn. Hve given up hope of high $psf & yet small flr area in 99LH properties.
Btw, there is a limit number of days of usage for msia cars to be driven in sg.....better chk wif the relevant authorities b4 u commit a msia car

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 18:16
Btw, there is a limit number of days of usage for msia cars to be driven in sg.....better chk wif the relevant authorities b4 u commit a msia car
Hve chked that. will buy when i decide to stay in malaysia for gd. Otherwiseuse lrt or water taxis to return to spore.

devilplate
24-03-12, 18:17
Hve chked that. will buy when i decide to stay in malaysia for gd. Otherwiseuse lrt or water taxis to return to spore.
Water taxis operating liao? Waters can be quite choppy rite?

Got lrt meh? U refering to iskandar rite?

DC33_2008
24-03-12, 19:22
Water taxis operating liao? Waters can be quite choppy rite?

Got lrt meh? U refering to iskandar rite?
Still long to retirement due date. Working to retire early with financial independence. Worth considering this option. These avenues shld be ready by then. Singapore will be 6.5 mil by then with congested road & healthcare services.Actually thought of bangkok, penang or malacca. Bangkok is sinking, penang is exposed to tsunami & malacca is quire quiet. Hence, decided iskandar & we can visit my children & relatives regularly.

price
24-03-12, 23:15

thanks

German > Japan

kane
24-03-12, 23:29

thanks

both resale value also not very good ah. for reliability, japanese better than german.

samuelk
25-03-12, 21:05
both resale value also not very good ah. for reliability, japanese better than german.
Other then reliability or Resale, you need to take a look at the crash test ratings. Life too short to have an idiot make a mistake and crash into you.

kane
25-03-12, 22:34
Other then reliability or Resale, you need to take a look at the crash test ratings. Life too short to have an idiot make a mistake and crash into you.

you also want a taller car. crash test ratings measure a flat on collision. but if a taller car hits a lower car, the lower car bears the brunt of the hit. there's been some studies into this.

devilplate
25-03-12, 22:50
you also want a taller car. crash test ratings measure a flat on collision. but if a taller car hits a lower car, the lower car bears the brunt of the hit. there's been some studies into this.
Tats for head on collison.....very rare

Anyway go for volvo if life very precious for u ;)

Volvo for life! Sounds familiar? Wakakaka

hyenergix
25-03-12, 22:52
I think these ones do not need expensive COE yet provide adequate crash protection.
http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/vehicles_unarmored_armed.jpg

kane
25-03-12, 22:59
I think these ones do not need expensive COE yet provide adequate crash protection.
http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/vehicles_unarmored_armed.jpg

Who supplies the spare parts for those. I like the one with the rocket launcher mounted on top.

kane
25-03-12, 23:01
Tats for head on collison.....very rare

Anyway go for volvo if life very precious for u ;)

Volvo for life! Sounds familiar? Wakakaka

i quite like the shape of the new s60, but unfortunately i need more sitting capacity.

devilplate
25-03-12, 23:09
i quite like the shape of the new s60, but unfortunately i need more sitting capacity.
Volvo famous for their suv actually.....tall and solid....suits u

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=270

kane
25-03-12, 23:39
the xc60 is nice. but not enough sitting capacity, and the xc90 is like a tank. i am ok to drive the tank but not my partner...

fclim
26-03-12, 01:00
Volvo famous for their suv actually.....tall and solid....suits u

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=270

Yea. Solid build. Just the boot cover alone of the S80 is very solid and heavy compared to the japs ones.

kane
26-03-12, 06:31
Probably the closest you can get to the tank. But my friend had to send it in for a few small things within the first 6 months.

hyenergix
26-03-12, 08:47
Who supplies the spare parts for those. I like the one with the rocket launcher mounted on top.

ST Kinetics

kane
26-03-12, 08:49
ST Kinetics

They got a workshop that you can send your car in every 10k for servicing? Ha.

radha08
29-03-12, 09:00
:( my car only left 2 years. siao liao:doh:

dont worry after 2 years buy another with 2 years left...thats what i be doing...:D

price
29-03-12, 10:34
dont worry after 2 years buy another with 2 years left...thats what i be doing...:D
Good idea, do u get much from scrapping ur car?

ysyap
04-04-12, 22:27
Try $84k for big cars and $85k for open category... :doh:

kane
04-04-12, 22:58
Ups again eh?

azeoprop
04-04-12, 23:28
Time for everybody to ride motorcycles :rolleyes: ...soon Singapore will become like Ho chi minh city... :scared-3:

fclim
04-04-12, 23:47
Ups again eh?

Told u COE will hit $100k soon... Wait until August when supply is halved..

Ricade
05-04-12, 02:53
And it reached a new peak just nice on the day mkt sentiment worsens significantly.. Hmm does it imply beginning of the downturn?

buttercarp
05-04-12, 08:18
Time for everybody to ride motorcycles :rolleyes: ...soon Singapore will become like Ho chi minh city... :scared-3:

Motorized bicycle better - no need COE!

price
05-04-12, 08:44
Heh, so $82k is cheap

hyenergix
05-04-12, 10:47
Heh, so $82k is cheap

I agree. The COE should shoot up end of this year once the quota is cut in Aug. This will drive properties near MRT stations and good schools up.

fclim
05-04-12, 10:58
We all read Tharman's speech yesterday. The supply of COEs will not increase just to placate a car starved nation. Improving public transport will be the main objective. Not just MRT, but buses, taxis etc as well.

May well have those small private buses operating in the estates to shuttle residents to MRT stations and around, like in HK, leaving SMRT and Comfort Delgro to focus on the MRT and main bus services.

radha08
06-04-12, 16:52
SHHHH the trick is buy from DIRECT owner...buy car left 2 years...get yourself a GOOD mechanic...and voila...u be cruisin with minimum $$ and achieving maximun mileage...tahts what me and my wife doing 2 cars with about $800 Dep a Month...:D ...and WE talking 2 RESPECTABLE japanese hatchbacks...honda/suzuki...:D

ysyap
17-04-12, 12:06
Not been keeping abreast of car market but I noticed that all the transfer fee in sgcarmart for all cars are currently at only $11. Why huh?

maisonjai
17-04-12, 13:41
Mr Tharman S. whisper this during Budget, u miss it?

"The Additional Transfer Fee, or ATF, is levied on used-vehicle transactions at 2% of the vehicle value at the point of transfer. Arising from feedback from the public and the motor industry, the Government has reviewed and decided that the ATF is no longer necessary. I will therefore abolish the ATF, starting tomorrow. This is estimated to cost the Government $70 million per annum in revenue forgone "

As announced by the Minister for Finance during Budget 2012, the Additional Transfer Fee for the transfer of vehicle registration will be removed with effect from 18 February 2012. In addition, the Transfer Fee for all vehicles will be revised to $11. These changes will apply to all transfers of vehicle registration effected on or after 18 February 2012.

maisonjai
17-04-12, 13:42
U going to upsize ur car soon?

ysyap
17-04-12, 13:43
Mr Tharman S. whisper this during Budget, u miss it?

"The Additional Transfer Fee, or ATF, is levied on used-vehicle transactions at 2% of the vehicle value at the point of transfer. Arising from feedback from the public and the motor industry, the Government has reviewed and decided that the ATF is no longer necessary. I will therefore abolish the ATF, starting tomorrow. This is estimated to cost the Government $70 million per annum in revenue forgone "

As announced by the Minister for Finance during Budget 2012, the Additional Transfer Fee for the transfer of vehicle registration will be removed with effect from 18 February 2012. In addition, the Transfer Fee for all vehicles will be revised to $11. These changes will apply to all transfers of vehicle registration effected on or after 18 February 2012.Thx for the clarification... ;) Missed it totally...

ysyap
18-04-12, 07:56
U going to upsize ur car soon?Maybe.... another 3 years' lifespan for 1st COE. Not too sure if I should wait out... COE price! Housing price! Did we choose to live in such a high cost society? Are we responsible for such a current predicament or is it too much to ask our policy makers to help us out?

kane
18-04-12, 08:59
Today another round of bidding.

maisonjai
18-04-12, 16:37
Maybe.... another 3 years' lifespan for 1st COE. Not too sure if I should wait out... COE price! Housing price! Did we choose to live in such a high cost society? Are we responsible for such a current predicament or is it too much to ask our policy makers to help us out?
Wah....
<1.6 $64,201
>1.6 $91,000
'open $92.010
3 years can wait out, in 2~3 years will down 30%<...heehee sounds familiar?
90k can dress up my place like a showflat liao, spending on a coe not for me leh cos pocket not so deep. 1 sheet of A4 paper 0.75sqft 10yr LH...haha

azeoprop
18-04-12, 17:39
90k can let u take $24.65 taxi fare daily for 10 years. :scared-3: :2cents:

ysyap
18-04-12, 17:42
Wah....
<1.6 $64,201
>1.6 $91,000
'open $92.010
90k can dress up my place like a showflat liao, spending on a coe not for me leh cos pocket not so deep. 1 sheet of A4 paper 0.75sqft 10yr LH...hahaHome prices up, COE aka car prices up, transport fares up, oil prices up, food prices up, how come salary no up? When people complain, others will say govt don't owe us a living but where to draw the line? Its no longer a matter of owe or no owe. At this type of living expenses, are we still wrong to ask for help? :mad:

maisonjai
18-04-12, 18:41
Home prices up, COE aka car prices up, transport fares up, oil prices up, food prices up, how come salary no up? When people complain, others will say govt don't owe us a living but where to draw the line? Its no longer a matter of owe or no owe. At this type of living expenses, are we still wrong to ask for help? :mad:
Ok bro, u write in ST forum ask for Cooling Measure for car, i support...40% Dp for cars, SSD below 4yrs etc.
But garman always focus on core inflation only leh.

radha08
18-04-12, 19:10
http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/1m/coe/coeDetail.html

radha08
18-04-12, 19:11
http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/1m/coe/coeDetail.html

forget to add god bless singapore...:doh:

teddybear
18-04-12, 19:53
Where is the cooling measure for COE? We need more COEs, more & wider roads, better public transport with no Breakdown as cooling measures! :mad:

Home prices up, COE aka car prices up, transport fares up, oil prices up, food prices up, how come salary no up? When people complain, others will say govt don't owe us a living but where to draw the line? Its no longer a matter of owe or no owe. At this type of living expenses, are we still wrong to ask for help? :mad:

phantom_opera
18-04-12, 19:58
category C so ex .. taxi so ex ... biz cost up up up ... they will sooner or later transfer the cost to consumer

Inflation will hit big time this year, guarantee > 5% liao

amk
18-04-12, 20:18
Gov just made 100mil in one day, more than it collected as ABSD for 3months ;)

Did Tharman budget all this in ? Looks like this year he will have a super surplus.

ysyap
18-04-12, 20:50
Come Aug when the COE quota is further slashed, the previous COE record will surely be broken... the funny truth is our lovely MIW can explain very convincingly the reason for slashing the COE number coz of less deregistration, etc but they don't address the undesirable effects that come along with it. Citizens no choice have to bear the brunt of this policy.

They just say too expensive then don't buy car. Take the public transport which fails as often as my need to top up fuel for my car... just 2 days back and today again train failure... my colleague mentioned that last time take train to school for your exams is safer than taking bus/car coz of traffic jam, etc but no longer so... also the call system for taxi is also recently challenged... don't drive car, can't take public transport (including Taxi) then just walk to work or luggi better, work from home lor? :scared-4:

maisonjai
18-04-12, 20:57
Gov just made 100mil in one day, more than it collected as ABSD for 3months ;)

Did Tharman budget all this in ? Looks like this year he will have a super surplus.
LTA has the best printer in the world other then the one in FED.

sh
18-04-12, 21:04
LTA has the best printer in the world other then the one in FED.

FED flushes the markets with liquidity....

LTA soaks up liquidity....

Where got same....:beats-me-man:

Maybe that's the garment's way to dealing with excess liquidity:banghead:

maisonjai
18-04-12, 21:29
FED flushes the markets with liquidity....

LTA soaks up liquidity....

Where got same....:beats-me-man:

Maybe that's the garment's way to dealing with excess liquidity:banghead:
u are right, COE 1pc exchange for USD100 720pcs....our's better in performance. GLS plots are soaking up a lot of liquidity too.

teddybear
18-04-12, 21:44
Worst still, for past 15 years when population increased by 30%, COE increased by 30%, road network and throughput only increase like 3%? :scared-3:
We are paying for their inefficiency and incapability / inaction and they sit there and can make more money and claim credit for bringing in more revenue from COE, ERP, car park fees etc etc? :scared-1:

Come Aug when the COE quota is further slashed, the previous COE record will surely be broken... the funny truth is our lovely MIW can explain very convincingly the reason for slashing the COE number coz of less deregistration, etc but they don't address the undesirable effects that come along with it. Citizens no choice have to bear the brunt of this policy.

They just say too expensive then don't buy car. Take the public transport which fails as often as my need to top up fuel for my car... just 2 days back and today again train failure... my colleague mentioned that last time take train to school for your exams is safer than taking bus/car coz of traffic jam, etc but no longer so... also the call system for taxi is also recently challenged... don't drive car, can't take public transport (including Taxi) then just walk to work or luggi better, work from home lor? :scared-4:

hopeful
18-04-12, 21:59

that's why must buy property within 1km of school

ysyap
18-04-12, 21:59
Worst still, for past 15 years when population increased by 30%, COE increased by 30%, road network and throughput only increase like 3%? :scared-3:
We are paying for their inefficiency and incapability / inaction and they sit there and can make more money and claim credit for bringing in more revenue from COE, ERP, car park fees etc etc? :scared-1:Isn't it obvious... those stuff that can make money for them, like implementing more ERP gantries, increasing COE quota, fare hikes for public transport, etc super quick in implementing.

Then stuff that requires them to spend money, they :sleep:. Road widening (CTE widening is at least 10 years overdue), building more roads and pumping up maintenance for MRT trains in view of increase in ridership demands are all necessary expenditures but it takes forever to implement. In fact it will not be implemented until ill effects are experienced... too late lah... :47:

ysyap
18-04-12, 22:01
that's why must buy property within 1km of schoolTotally agreed... but wait, housing prices are very steep too... It should be choose a school in a relatively cheaper neighbourhood then buy a unit there for stay... :)

kane
18-04-12, 22:16
if only i can buy a call option on COE, maybe now have to buy one with strike price of $100k...

hyenergix
18-04-12, 22:44
Wah....
<1.6 $64,201
>1.6 $91,000
'open $92.010
90k can dress up my place like a showflat liao, spending on a coe not for me leh cos pocket not so deep. 1 sheet of A4 paper 0.75sqft 10yr LH...haha

At the rate COE prices are increasing, it makes more sense to give up car now. Properties near MRT stations and good schools will undergo a mini-boom, this time driven by higher COE prices.

phantom_opera
18-04-12, 23:15
Aiya Minister Lui said COE price up is because of economic growth :tsk-tsk:

No problem ... garmen already invested in 550 buses using your money to prevent another round of bus price hike

So please cannot afford COE then ride on our new buses

fclim
18-04-12, 23:32
At the rate COE prices are increasing, it makes more sense to give up car now. Properties near MRT stations and good schools will undergo a mini-boom, this time driven by higher COE prices.

Can afford SH, $91K no problem lah..

azeoprop
18-04-12, 23:35
COE prices shooting up while public transport getting more unreliable....:tsk-tsk:

ysyap
19-04-12, 05:24
Yup.... our public transport super reliable wat... sure breakdown! :47:

hyenergix
19-04-12, 06:47
Yup.... our public transport super reliable wat... sure breakdown! :47:

It is a mistake to hand-over MRT to private operators that listed and used the profit for themselves instead of upgrading the infrastructure. LTA and SMRT are trying to kill each other in court now. The fault lies in.... LTA, because of its misguided policy and lack of sufficient monitoring of its operator.

fclim
19-04-12, 08:27
To maintain an MRT system as it gets more extensive and older is an extremely tedious and rigorous affair. You need to have very competent engineers, technicians and artisans. They have to be dedicated and proud of their job too. You need constant training, quality audits and inspection. All technical incidents and near misses have to be religiously reported and analysed. Paying them well helps too. It would be good to study the maintenance regimes of our Air Force, Singapore Airlines and Oil Refineries.

At the end of the day, the guy doing the regular inspection must be very thorough. He has to personally ensure that every 3rd rail claw is inspected and not just tick the checklist blindly and sign it. To do all these given the limited time in dark and stuffy tunnels is extremely challenging. And there are millions of different parts and systems to be checked regularly.

My personal view is that to have competent technicians, you need to have a robust apprenticeship scheme like in Japan or Germany. Currently, our least academically inclined students are channelled to ITE. So, what can we expect?

We cannot expect the problems to be resolved overnight.

teddybear
19-04-12, 11:14
With Singapore salary system where the "salesmen" and "saleswomen" and the "high-level adminstrators" kind of jobs getting the highest pay, fat chance that Singapore will have a robust regime with good engineers and technicians to deal with MRT system problems now that they are getting old (you see so many problems & breakdowns recently? Even new CCL lines can break down a few times already!) since engineering is dirty job + cheaply paid, hence no good Singaporeans want to do , delegate to cheap foreign workers who just tick blindly the checklist or just fix with some clip or superglue (eg. :p), get into problem (e.g crash) just leave Singapore to work in another place lor! :doh:

To maintain an MRT system as it gets more extensive and older is an extremely tedious and rigorous affair. You need to have very competent engineers, technicians and artisans. They have to be dedicated and proud of their job too. You need constant training, quality audits and inspection. All technical incidents and near misses have to be religiously reported and analysed. Paying them well helps too. It would be good to study the maintenance regimes of our Air Force, Singapore Airlines and Oil Refineries.

At the end of the day, the guy doing the regular inspection must be very thorough. He has to personally ensure that every 3rd rail claw is inspected and not just tick the checklist blindly and sign it. To do all these given the limited time in dark and stuffy tunnels is extremely challenging. And there are millions of different parts and systems to be checked regularly.

My personal view is that to have competent technicians, you need to have a robust apprenticeship scheme like in Japan or Germany. Currently, our least academically inclined students are channelled to ITE. So, what can we expect?

ysyap
19-04-12, 20:32
So will the next COE bidding see the $100k barrier broken? :spliff:

howgozit
19-04-12, 21:17

Definitely possible only $8k away.... since it has happened before, it certainly can happen again.

kane
19-04-12, 21:37
The more people panic, the faster we reach 100k. It's called panic buying...

ysyap
19-04-12, 21:52
So who's taking the plunge to buy a new car today? Taking into inflation consideration, how much is it equivalent to now for the record high COE back in the 90s?

price
20-04-12, 00:06
yay the good old days of 1994:cheers2:

kane
20-04-12, 00:47
So who's taking the plunge to buy a new car today? Taking into inflation consideration, how much is it equivalent to now for the record high COE back in the 90s?

how much did basic necessities cost back in the 90s as compared to today? i would use that as a benchmark.

hyenergix
20-04-12, 06:08
how much did basic necessities cost back in the 90s as compared to today? i would use that as a benchmark.

You can create a hamburger index for Singapore.

ysyap
20-04-12, 07:47
yay the good old days of 1994:cheers2:The frightening old days of 1994 u meant... ;) My dad's friend bought a Toyota Corolla at $1xx k COE. After 2 years, cannot sustain the servicing so sold off the car and lost $60k straight! $30k annual depreciation for a Jap brand is literally unheard of then... :scared-4:

fclim
20-04-12, 08:08
The frightening old days of 1994 u meant... ;) My dad's friend bought a Toyota Corolla at $1xx k COE. After 2 years, cannot sustain the servicing so sold off the car and lost $60k straight! $30k annual depreciation for a Jap brand is literally unheard of then... :scared-4:

Not quite same. Interest rates then were 3.xx%? Now only 1.88% and for cars, flat for 10 yrs. But yes, uncanny resemblance of
1995. Record COE prices and record prices for a Bishan property,then and now.

buttercarp
20-04-12, 09:42
Not quite same. Interest rates then were 3.xx%? Now only 1.88% and for cars, flat for 10 yrs. But yes, uncanny resemblance of
1995. Record COE prices and record prices for a Bishan property,then and now.

Property can wait.
But car can't wait.
3 years time , my hubby's car COE expires, then how?
His work requires him to have a car especially if there is an emergency, yet he is not provided with a car or subsidy.

ay123
20-04-12, 09:44
WHY NO COOLING MEASURE FOR CAR????

ysyap
20-04-12, 10:32
In 1995, did govt step in to cool the motor vehicle market? Can a similar approach to cool down the market then be implemented soon... otherwise, in another couple of years, public transport system will have to bear another couple of thousands more coz all switch to taking trains and bus liao... and to think that our public system is already giving way every few weeks/days because of overloading? :tsk-tsk:

roly8
20-04-12, 10:38
Property can wait.
But car can't wait.
His work requires him to have a car especially if there is an emergency, yet he is not provided with a car or subsidy.

if your nature of work require transport, then is really no choice..
got to accept whatever COE is on the market..

Ilikeu
20-04-12, 10:44
WHY NO COOLING MEASURE FOR CAR????

Because buying car is not an investment hoping for a capital gain.

maisonjai
20-04-12, 11:30
Property can wait.
But car can't wait.
ur timing just about right, a lot of cars going to scrap yard in 2014, highest should be 2015. Pray hard the replacement COEs are quickly release back to the market. Pent up demand needs to be clear first.:D

fclim
20-04-12, 12:08
Property can wait.
But car can't wait.

If you really need a car, there is no choice right, whether COE is $100K or not? 3 years more.. you can wait wat.

phantom_opera
20-04-12, 12:26
You can create a hamburger index for Singapore.

No need, just check Capital Mall or FCT annual report, these are the REITs that push up rental everywhere ...

buttercarp
20-04-12, 12:47
if your nature of work require transport, then is really no choice..
got to accept whatever COE is on the market..

Yalor..... or may have to arrive late even if there is an emergency.......

If you really need a car, there is no choice right, whether COE is $100K or not? 3 years more.. you can wait wat.

Yup definitely can wait.
Car still in good condition.
Just that when COE expires, then hopefully the COE at that time will be reasonable.

ur timing just about right, a lot of cars going to scrap yard in 2014, highest should be 2015. Pray hard the replacement COEs are quickly release back to the market. Pent up demand needs to be clear first.:D

Hopefully your prediction will be correct.

richwang
21-04-12, 11:07
I have experienced twice when COE price was 4 digits:

1997: S$100?
2008: S$2?

In the near future, I expect the COE is go up to more than S$100K, and maybe quickly overshot to S$140K or S$150K. That will be a peak price with inflation adjusted.

You will then see a policy U-Turn.

Because the government doesn't directly control the price (they only use policy), so the price will eventually overshot on the down side to well below what they would like (that is 4 digits).

The timing? Maybe 2014-2015.

Thanks,
Richard

hyenergix
21-04-12, 11:22
We have hit a physical limit. No way to U turn.

richwang
21-04-12, 11:38
Well, just some minor adjustment to the policy will see a more balanced supply/demand:

Just use the forecasted number of cars to be replaced in the next 3 - 5 years, and average the number, we can see an immediate number of supply increase.

In a Monopoly Economics, the goal is NOT to archive the highest unit price.
The goal is to archive the highest

Profit = Price X Units

Thanks,
Richard

sh
21-04-12, 11:51

When the cars go into the scrapyard in 2014, 2015. What do you think the owners of the scrapped cars are going to do? Get another car? Give up on cars? Will the replacement COE get absorbed just as quickly :beats-me-man:

Will the COE prices come down?

I have 2.5 years before mine runs out.... HOW!!!! Panic already!!! Hanging onto my baby now.... Waiting and watching....:(

rattydrama
21-04-12, 11:53
this is a long problem which failed to addresss by our policy maker. Do expect that for many years to come all will see that there is no pride in doing technician jobs in Singapore.

rattydrama
21-04-12, 12:00
When the cars go into the scrapyard in 2014, 2015. What do you think the owners of the scrapped cars are going to do? Get another car? Give up on cars? Will the replacement COE get absorbed just as quickly :beats-me-man:

I have 2.5 years before mine runs out.... HOW!!!! Panic already!!! Hanging onto my baby now.... Waiting and watching....:(

to me I think there are alot of people waiting at the side for the price to go down. I do not expect the price to go down drastically. We have alot of new Singaporeans who are rich enough to own a car at 100k or more.:(

Furthermore there are still people who will nvr give up their car no matter how.

If I have sold my car late last year, i wud not have "free" transport for now. Since everyone is expecting coe to climb 100k, no harm to take a wait and see attitude. :D

ysyap
21-04-12, 12:00
I have experienced twice when COE price was 4 digits:

1997: S$100?
2008: S$2?

In the near future, I expect the COE is go up to more than S$100K, and maybe quickly overshot to S$140K or S$150K. That will be a peak price with inflation adjusted.

You will then see a policy U-Turn.

Because the government doesn't directly control the price (they only use policy), so the price will eventually overshot on the down side to well below what they would like (that is 4 digits).

The timing? Maybe 2014-2015.

Thanks,
RichardWhy is $100 = 4 digits and $2 = 4 digits?

ysyap
21-04-12, 12:02

I have 2.5 years before mine runs out.... HOW!!!! Panic already!!! Hanging onto my baby now.... Waiting and watching....:(Mine left 3 years plus a bit... starting to panic too... :eek:

rattydrama
21-04-12, 12:04

buy high and sell high.....now is already 90k for the coe.... guess 2nd hand car will be the choice. 2 years ago only 20k? still new but dont kinda those car which were in the flood before.

rattydrama
21-04-12, 12:05
Mine left 3 years plus a bit... starting to panic too... :eek:

mine still left 7 years... still recalled avente selling 39.9 including coe less than 3k....3 years ago...that was how cheap..

sh
21-04-12, 12:06
The more I think about it, the less I think coe is coming down.

The high nos of scrapped cars will not help bring prices down, because the owners of the scrapped car will need a new car. It's only the marginal owners that will have to give up. For the marginal owner to give up, the current COE has to be significantly higher than 10yrs ago, for him to give up the convenience he has enjoyed for 10 years.

The only way for prices to come down, is for LTA to increase the number of cars in the road. And we know that's not going to happened.

In other words, I'm screwed.... Start saving.....:(

rattydrama
21-04-12, 12:19
The more I think about it, the less I think coe is coming down.

The high nos of scrapped cars will not help bring prices down, because the owners of the scrapped car will need a new car. It's only the marginal owners that will have to give up. For the marginal owner to give up, the current COE has to be significantly higher than 10yrs ago, for him to give up the convenience he has enjoyed for 10 years.

The only way for prices to come down, is for LTA to increase the number of cars in the road. And we know that's not going to happened.

In other words, I'm screwed.... Start saving.....:(

you hit the jackpot. that is exactly the situation. we increae people but infrastructure still dont have much improvement. *sad*

we will see the 2nd hand car market continue to be very healthy and breaking records month by month.

i wont give up the car unless public transport improves (many years to come).

Also taxi is not cheap these days. I paid $40 ++ for a 1-way trip from North to Great World City recently during peak hr jam....:simmering:

ysyap
21-04-12, 14:00
you hit the jackpot. that is exactly the situation. we increae people but infrastructure still dont have much improvement. *sad*

we will see the 2nd hand car market continue to be very healthy and breaking records month by month.

i wont give up the car unless public transport improves (many years to come).

Also taxi is not cheap these days. I paid $40 ++ for a 1-way trip from North to Great World City recently during peak hr jam....:simmering:With soaring fuel prices, how to expect cheap transportation? Sigh! So what's it for us as consumers? Pay and Pay (PAP)...

rattydrama
21-04-12, 14:06
With soaring fuel prices, how to expect cheap transportation? Sigh! So what's it for us as consumers? Pay and Pay (PAP)...

possible, work from home or walk to work.

melody
21-04-12, 14:27
You mean when fuel prices are cheap you got cheap transportation? :p
Is just like the water from source is cheap, but you got tax how many times more when you see your water bill? :tsk-tsk:

With soaring fuel prices, how to expect cheap transportation? Sigh! So what's it for us as consumers? Pay and Pay (PAP)...

fclim
21-04-12, 15:49
buy high and sell high.....now is already 90k for the coe.... guess 2nd hand car will be the choice. 2 years ago only 20k? still new but dont kinda those car which were in the flood before.

Bros and Sis like sh, ysyap, buttercarp all hanging onto their cars cos COE high. Where got enuff cheap 2nd hand car around to buy?

maisonjai
21-04-12, 15:56
Ur next car? (see Gallery)
http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/coming_soon/prius_plus/index.tmex

kane
21-04-12, 16:57
the estima/previa hybrid is probably a much better car.

rattydrama
22-04-12, 12:59
Bros and Sis like sh, ysyap, buttercarp all hanging onto their cars cos COE high. Where got enuff cheap 2nd hand car around to buy?

still have lar, cos some owners bou 3-4 years ago with coe just less than 10k so easy for them to give up ...its still cheaper to buy 2md and car than a brand new with coe at 60-100k.

ahsoh88
22-04-12, 14:21
second hand car is equally expensive though the owner paid low for COE. Dealer use the new car price as gauge + it is not easy to trace history of previous ownership.

sh
22-04-12, 14:35
second hand car is equally expensive though the owner paid low for COE. Dealer use the new car price as gauge + it is not easy to trace history of previous ownership.

That's true. I know 2 year old car that was sold at the same price of the original brand new car. Free use of car for 2 years!

kane
22-04-12, 14:43
The prices the second hand car dealers are asking is plain silly. So i decided to go for a new car.

ysyap
22-04-12, 22:25
The prices the second hand car dealers are asking is plain silly. So i decided to go for a new car.The price that a new car asks is equally silly... best go for a 7 year old car... it cannot command that high a depreciation as newer cars... :cool:

rattydrama
23-04-12, 19:35
best is take taxi and buy your necessity online or like me, one lift down and its NTUC..even can bring the cart home.

ysyap
23-04-12, 20:52
best is take taxi and buy your necessity online or like me, one lift down and its NTUC..even can bring the cart home.I like that... park the cart at home and then take it down when you go grocery shopping again... if u stay in PC, then neighbors will say you cheapo. If you stay in HDB, you'll realise your neighbor have a similar cart as you... Lol! :cool:

kane
23-04-12, 21:37
I like that... park the cart at home and then take it down when you go grocery shopping again... if u stay in PC, then neighbors will say you cheapo. If you stay in HDB, you'll realise your neighbor have a similar cart as you... Lol! :cool:

create a cart bay at the bottom of your block? lol.

buttercarp
23-04-12, 22:30
If the prices of COE continue to be so high, then I may just consider car rental when my COE expires.

kane
23-04-12, 23:01
The price that a new car asks is equally silly... best go for a 7 year old car... it cannot command that high a depreciation as newer cars... :cool:

Conti cars have a much bigger difference than jap cars. If you are looking for brand new, you should consider jap cars if you are looking for pre-owned you should consider conti.

rattydrama
24-04-12, 20:04
I like that... park the cart at home and then take it down when you go grocery shopping again... if u stay in PC, then neighbors will say you cheapo. If you stay in HDB, you'll realise your neighbor have a similar cart as you... Lol! :cool:
unfortunately corridor too small to park the cart so hv to bring down. anyway not a big deal since its so near.

best still, throw everything in the cart without asking the cashier to pack in ntuc bag. this saves 20 cents/ visit for going green. :D

rattydrama
24-04-12, 20:07
If the prices of COE continue to be so high, then I may just consider car rental when my COE expires.

wud it be cheaper to go by taxi, 2 trips a day for 20 days a month, total 25km per day both way during peak hours?

i calculated about $800/month + booking. Is that worth while?:D

Douk
24-04-12, 20:57
best is take taxi and buy your necessity online or like me, one lift down and its NTUC..even can bring the cart home.
Ntuc do home delivery at $7..

buttercarp
24-04-12, 21:05
wud it be cheaper to go by taxi, 2 trips a day for 20 days a month, total 25km per day both way during peak hours?

i calculated about $800/month + booking. Is that worth while?:D
If have to send kids then will be even more. If rent a small car, can get for $1k per month. Not sure if petrol is included.

howgozit
24-04-12, 21:15
Hahaha... of course not lah..... for $1k a month?

If have to send kids then will be even more. If rent a small car, can get for $1k per month. Not sure if petrol is included.

richwang
24-04-12, 22:02
http://www.carclub.com.sg/price-value-plan.php

For this one, Patrol is included. But most of the pick-up points are at HDB estates.

It's possible to find some "long term" car lease which u pay for 1 month or even 10 months. That type petrol is excluded.

Thanks,
Richard

howgozit
24-04-12, 22:24
Wow.. this is a great site... thank you

http://www.carclub.com.sg/price-value-plan.php

For this one, Patrol is included. But most of the pick-up points are at HDB estates.

It's possible to find some "long term" car lease which u pay for 1 month or even 10 months. That type petrol is excluded.

Thanks,
Richard

ysyap
24-04-12, 22:32
Conti cars have a much bigger difference than jap cars. If you are looking for brand new, you should consider jap cars if you are looking for pre-owned you should consider conti.Don't understand! New Conti cars should have a smaller difference...

ysyap
24-04-12, 22:46
If have to send kids then will be even more. If rent a small car, can get for $1k per month. Not sure if petrol is included.For $1k a month, its equivalent to $120k over 10 years. Can get a cheap small Jap car or Korean car already, come good with insurance and road tax! :rolleyes:

richwang
25-04-12, 10:23
Well, if your view is COE rediculios high price cannot last for 10 years (my bet is 2-3 years), you can take the alternatives rather than "owning" a 10 year lease hold car: taxi, car club, "long term" lease (in months).

It is kind of similar to buying a 10 year lease hold property vs renting a place.

Thanks,
Richard

azeoprop
25-04-12, 10:41
Thats why properties next to MRT+mall is the new prime now. :scared-1:

buttercarp
25-04-12, 13:28
For $1k a month, its equivalent to $120k over 10 years. Can get a cheap small Jap car or Korean car already, come good with insurance and road tax! :rolleyes:

Actually i was thinking if you really need a car now eg COE expired now and want to wait for COE to come down before getting one, then just rent a car for a while till that time comes.

Saw this website which offers the cheapest car at 1k per month (have not factored in GST yet).

http://www.sianghock.com.sg/index.htm

ysyap
25-04-12, 21:01
Actually i was thinking if you really need a car now eg COE expired now and want to wait for COE to come down before getting one, then just rent a car for a while till that time comes.

Saw this website which offers the cheapest car at 1k per month (have not factored in GST yet).

http://www.sianghock.com.sg/index.htmWell I guess you have a point but like property, some people wait till neck long long but just see housing prices heading north and north and still north! :banghead: How long do you suppose this high COE price can sustain? Like what Richwang (thought he changed nick already?) mentioned, 3 years max? :rolleyes:

azeoprop
25-04-12, 21:18
How about get a taxi licence and rent a taxi? Sublet to someone to drive the midnight shift can save 1/2 the cost. :D

ysyap
25-04-12, 21:21
How about get a taxi licence and rent a taxi? Sublet to someone to drive the midnight shift can save 1/2 the cost. :DTaxi rental is very high... finding that someone to drive the midnight shift is not that simple too... unless you switch on meter and earn like $50/day to at least break even on rental cost, otherwise its not worth it lor... :eek:

kane
25-04-12, 23:42
Don't understand! New Conti cars should have a smaller difference...

for conti cars, the min your car roll out of the showroom driveway, ho say liao, depreciation jia lat jia lat. First 3 years, can depre until your face turn blue.

azeoprop
25-04-12, 23:52
The new veloster looks quite cool.:cool:
http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_photos.php?CarCode=11133

If only coe was 10k or less like a few yrs ago. :o

kane
25-04-12, 23:56
it looks kinda gross to me. the design looks kinda confused. curved lines all over. :doh:

ysyap
26-04-12, 11:07
for conti cars, the min your car roll out of the showroom driveway, ho say liao, depreciation jia lat jia lat. First 3 years, can depre until your face turn blue.Yup... quite right... the initial depre is jia lat jia lat... :scared-3:

ysyap
26-04-12, 11:09
The new veloster looks quite cool.:cool:
http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_photos.php?CarCode=11133

If only coe was 10k or less like a few yrs ago. :oKorean manufacturers know that they cannot match their Japanese counterparts in handling and responsiveness of vehicle so they go straight for the looks. But after test driving some of the Korean makes, I somehow always end up getting a Jap car instead... just my opinion! :cheers6:

Laguna
26-04-12, 15:46
first car by address : prevailing COE
second car : double of the prevailing COE
third car : triple of the COE

afterall, only the rich can afford second and third car...

ysyap
30-04-12, 22:18
'Commuters travelling on the East-West line on Monday morning were hit by another 30-minute train disruption.

According to SMRT’s Twitter account (https://twitter.com/#%21/SMRT_Singapore), train service was disrupted around 9.20am and lasted for about half an hour. The delay was made worse by the wet weather as trains were forced to travel at a lower speed due to the slippery track conditions on parts of the network.

Hence, commuters had to wait for about four minutes for each train as compared to the usual 2.5 minutes during peak hours.

Several commuters took to social networking platform Twitter to vent their woes.

Twitter user @Sanifoo (https://twitter.com/#%21/sanifoo) tweeted that “[the] breakdown in [the] public service system CANNOT be accepted as the ‘norm’.”. Another user @reddawn (https://twitter.com/#%21/reddawn) joked that “at the speed this SMRT train is moving and constantly stopping, I am sure I can outrun it from one station to [the] next!”.

The latst incident follows a series of train delays that occurred this month.'

And with such a public transport system and escalating COE, we're left with taxi and buses. Cycling is definitely a no in Singapore which does not cater to safe cyling. Walking is possible but I'll have to start walking the night before if I want to be on time for my work the next morning.

Btw, I suspect COE premium will break the $100k barrier very soon. This month???

sh
30-04-12, 22:24
'Commuters travelling on the East-West line on Monday morning were hit by another 30-minute train disruption.

According to SMRT’s Twitter account (https://twitter.com/#%21/SMRT_Singapore), train service was disrupted around 9.20am and lasted for about half an hour. The delay was made worse by the wet weather as trains were forced to travel at a lower speed due to the slippery track conditions on parts of the network.

Hence, commuters had to wait for about four minutes for each train as compared to the usual 2.5 minutes during peak hours.

Several commuters took to social networking platform Twitter to vent their woes.

Twitter user @Sanifoo (https://twitter.com/#%21/sanifoo) tweeted that “[the] breakdown in [the] public service system CANNOT be accepted as the ‘norm’.”. Another user @reddawn (https://twitter.com/#%21/reddawn) joked that “at the speed this SMRT train is moving and constantly stopping, I am sure I can outrun it from one station to [the] next!”.

The latst incident follows a series of train delays that occurred this month.'

And with such a public transport system and escalating COE, we're left with taxi and buses. Cycling is definitely a no in Singapore which does not cater to safe cyling. Walking is possible but I'll have to start walking the night before if I want to be on time for my work the next morning.

Btw, I suspect COE premium will break the $100k barrier very soon. This month???

crap!:banghead:

House
30-04-12, 22:38

yes bro, anytime.
cos aug mth will be a lot less quota.

actually ok to buy now - sell one year later ( drive for free )

maisonjai
30-04-12, 23:19
See this article M5 flying off the shelves? COE is only 20% of the car price. woohoo COE CM...
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-to-post-autos/review-bmw-m5-022406190.html

hyenergix
01-05-12, 06:35
See this article M5 flying off the shelves? COE is only 20% of the car price. woohoo COE CM...
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-to-post-autos/review-bmw-m5-022406190.html

$500k! That's the price of a MM on wheels for 10 years. I would rather buy a MM to rent out for $2.5k a month, for the next 9999999... years.

ysyap
01-05-12, 08:18
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-to-post-autos/review-bmw-m5-022406190.htmlRead many reviews about BMW 5 about the gearbox. My colleague driving one also fed back about some hiccups... hmmm... tempted to buy it but decided not to! :47:

kane
01-05-12, 09:29
$500k! That's the price of a MM on wheels for 10 years. I would rather buy a MM to rent out for $2.5k a month, for the next 9999999... years.

Maybe the driver has the equivalent of ten MMs earning rental leh?

maisonjai
01-05-12, 11:49
ya man, instead of frying ppty or frying stocks, someone fry crabs can own over $3mil cars. Inspiring :cheers1:

ysyap
01-05-12, 20:49
$500k! That's the price of a MM on wheels for 10 years. I would rather buy a MM to rent out for $2.5k a month, for the next 9999999... years.I have a simple question here... If asking price for that BMW is $500k, minus COE @ $100k, then the car body OMV plus tax = $400k. I don't remember even a BMW 7 costing $400k just 1 year back... hmmm... what's happening here? Random price increase? Price back then for a BMW 5 was about $2xxk including a small sum for COE... :scared-4: COE price rose $100k, car OMV also rose $100k? :scared-3:

maisonjai
01-05-12, 21:32
bro, look the same but not the same...the price for speed :D ....summons not included. M=muscle not mickey...heehee
rd tax $1.2k
http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=10860
rd tax $4.5k
http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11103

fclim
02-05-12, 00:53
I have a simple question here... If asking price for that BMW is $500k, minus COE @ $100k, then the car body OMV plus tax = $400k. I don't remember even a BMW 7 costing $400k just 1 year back... hmmm... what's happening here? Random price increase? Price back then for a BMW 5 was about $2xxk including a small sum for COE... :scared-4: COE price rose $100k, car OMV also rose $100k? :scared-3:

U forgot big fat profit of at least $100k.

ysyap
02-05-12, 04:02
U forgot big fat profit of at least $100k.This is worse than daylight robbery coz you can hardly even find $10k in a daylight robbery! :mad:

land118
09-05-12, 17:03
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1200182/1/.html

COE premiums mostly higher
By Olivia Siong | Posted: 09 May 2012 1634 hrs

SINGAPORE: Certificate of Entitlement (COE) premiums for vehicles closed mostly higher at the close of the latest round of bidding on Wednesday.

COE premiums for Category A (cars 1,600cc and below) closed at S$62,600, down from S$64,201 in the previous bidding exercise on April 18.

Category B (cars above 1,600cc) rose to S$92,050, compared with S$91,000 previously.

In the Open Category, which is mostly used for big cars, prices ended at S$88,990, compared with S$92,010.

Premiums for Category C (goods vehicles and buses) closed at S$58,553, going up by S$964 from the previous bidding.

For Category D (motorcycles), the COE will cost S$2,021, compared with S$1,924 previously.

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew had signalled on May 4 that plans to cut the growth rate of vehicles may be delayed, amid concerns over surging COE premiums caused by a supply crunch.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is studying if it can be more flexible with two measures meant to manage vehicle population growth.

The first is a possible delay in implementing a vehicle growth rate cut to 0.5 per cent in August, from the current 1.5 per cent.

Secondly, it is examining if it can defer a claw-back of COEs to counter previous oversupply due to over projections in vehicle de-registrations between 2008 and 2009.

-CNA/ac

buttercarp
09-05-12, 17:53
At this rate we are going, in future we may have to live in our cars.

phantom_opera
09-05-12, 18:06

property tax for car?? :scared-5:

ysyap
09-05-12, 18:24
At this rate we are going, in future we may have to live in our cars.At least signs of slowing down for COE price! Well, until the delay in cutting growth rate is confirmed, prices will continue to climb... :rolleyes:

land118
09-05-12, 18:32
Mobile MM...:scared-1:

richwang
12-05-12, 09:35

In 1994, when the COE price was 100K,
the 3-room HDB flat open market price was also 100K.

The joke was:

"You are driving a HDB."

So if you use that as benchmark,
the COE price will need to increase to

S$300K?

Thanks,
Richard

richwang
12-05-12, 09:52
In 1995, did govt step in to cool the motor vehicle market? Can a similar approach to cool down the market then be implemented soon... otherwise, in another couple of years, public transport system will have to bear another couple of thousands more coz all switch to taking trains and bus liao... and to think that our public system is already giving way every few weeks/days because of overloading? :tsk-tsk:

In 1994-5 before the 1997 Election, high COE price was a big issue then. (HDB price was NOT).
Guess what was the cooling measure?

ERP!

The ration was to reduce the ownership cost, but increase the usage cost. So you pay what you use. The promise was "Every Singaporean can own a car - but don't drive to much." (that's why they over build the HDB multi-stories car parks.)

COE quota was increased from something like 20,000 a year to 100,000 a year.
COE price dropped to S$1k during 1997 financial crisis.

Thanks,
Richard

richwang
12-05-12, 10:33
Thank "1st Gear" from "mycarforum".

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2657997

She believes S$20k - S$30K should be the norm.

Thanks,
Richard
PS. For those who'd like to do market timing, it is almost the same period as stock market dip and property dip.

flagship74
12-05-12, 12:34
In 1994-5 before the 1997 Election, high COE price was a big issue then. (HDB price was NOT).
Guess what was the cooling measure?

ERP!

The ration was to reduce the ownership cost, but increase the usage cost. So you pay what you use. The promise was "Every Singaporean can own a car - but don't drive to much." (that's why they over build the HDB multi-stories car parks.)

COE quota was increased from something like 20,000 a year to 100,000 a year.
COE price dropped to S$1k during 1997 financial crisis.

Thanks,
Richard

I remember it dropped to $50 dollars which i am lucky enough to bid for it..;)