PDA

View Full Version : 3rd toilet in condo

KarenK
11-03-12, 16:54
Hi everyone

hubby & myself are thinking of removing the toilet bowl in the 3rd toilet in the back yard. Reason being we would like more space to store toilet peripherals eg pails and buckets as well as more space to do miscellanous washing.

there are only 3 adults and 1 kid in the household so the master bedroom toilet and the other toilet would suffice for us. we do not foresee any usage of the 3rd toilet for the usual personal toilet activities.

have any of u done the same thing before? If so, can u pls share the pros and cons of doing so with us?

thank u lots lots in advance :p

buttercarp
11-03-12, 17:06
If your condo is new, it is better to seek the approval of the management first before removing the WC. Alternatively, you can use it as a storeroom without altering it.
The backyard toilet will be useful if you have a maid in future.
If your kid is still small, I agree that the 2 toilets may suffice.
I have 5 toilets in my place.
2 of them have long baths, one of them is a powder room.
One of the long bath is used as a storage area.
The powder room is also a storage area.
For both I did not do any alterations to the WC or the long bath.

bigapplefan
11-03-12, 17:32
Hi everyone

hubby & myself are thinking of removing the toilet bowl in the 3rd toilet in the back yard. Reason being we would like more space to store toilet peripherals eg pails and buckets as well as more space to do miscellanous washing.

there are only 3 adults and 1 kid in the household so the master bedroom toilet and the other toilet would suffice for us. we do not foresee any usage of the 3rd toilet for the usual personal toilet activities.

have any of u done the same thing before? If so, can u pls share the pros and cons of doing so with us?

i was also thinking of doing the same for my condo. But not sure if its doable to remove the toilet bowl as the sewage pipes for upstairs and downstairs are all linked. Some IDs say can, some say cannot..

howgozit
11-03-12, 18:53
The toilet bowl is a fixture. There is no law against removing a fixture.

But why would you want to remove the toilet bowl... how much space can you save from its removal? Must be a very big toilet bowl to justify the cost, trouble and risk to plumbing problems. I suggest that you rethink this. Cheers!

KarenK
11-03-12, 21:26
If your condo is new, it is better to seek the approval of the management first before removing the WC. Alternatively, you can use it as a storeroom without altering it.
The backyard toilet will be useful if you have a maid in future.
If your kid is still small, I agree that the 2 toilets may suffice.
I have 5 toilets in my place.
2 of them have long baths, one of them is a powder room.
One of the long bath is used as a storage area.
The powder room is also a storage area.
For both I did not do any alterations to the WC or the long bath.

Thanks for your advice, buttercarp :)
no maid.....killed off the maid 2 years ago and have been living happily after since...... :p

KarenK
11-03-12, 21:27

But why would you want to remove the toilet bowl... how much space can you save from its removal? Must be a very big toilet bowl to justify the cost, trouble and risk to plumbing problems. I suggest that you rethink this. Cheers!

its precisely because we are expecting that toilet to be tiny that we are considering removing the toilet bowl. thanks for your warning. will ask my ID and see what he says.... :o

KarenK
11-03-12, 21:28
i was also thinking of doing the same for my condo. But not sure if its doable to remove the toilet bowl as the sewage pipes for upstairs and downstairs are all linked. Some IDs say can, some say cannot..

will ask my ID. seeing him in 2 weeks' time.... :o

chiaberry
11-03-12, 21:54
will ask my ID. seeing him in 2 weeks' time.... :o

Should be able to do it. Remove the toilet and you will be left with an inlet pipe in the wall and an outlet hole in the floor. Suggest you leave the inlet pipe there and fit it with a tap. Cover up the outlet hole. In future you or any other person who takes over the place from you can still re-install the toilet. I *think* you could use the inlet pipe to connect to a washing machine or dishwasher if you so require but check with your plumber.

ysyap
11-03-12, 22:01
no maid.....killed off the maid 2 years ago and have been living happily after since...... :pDon't let the police hear or read what you've just posted... What I understand is some people don't remove the toilet bowl... they just stack stuff on it till the bowl is deeply buried beneath the stacks and stacks of stuff... :cheers1:

extremme
11-03-12, 22:01
I have e exact same sentiments as u.. I also dun tink I need e third toilet though I have a maid.. do we need to
seek MC approval for this? if not maybe just leave e toilet there n use it as a storage space

extremme
11-03-12, 22:04
Don't let the police hear or read what you've just posted... What I understand is some people don't remove the toilet bowl... they just stack stuff on it till the bowl is deeply buried beneath the stacks and stacks of stuff... :cheers1:
good idea but seems messy? seriously I think third toilet is complete waste of space Duno y need to build one... can we hack down e toilet n combine with storeroom ? mine is Side by side can make a nice walk in wardrobe hee

ysyap
11-03-12, 22:11
good idea but seems messy? seriously I think third toilet is complete waste of space Duno y need to build one... can we hack down e toilet n combine with storeroom ? mine is Side by side can make a nice walk in wardrobe heeIf you can buy a shelf that can sit comfortably above the toilet bowl securely, can look quite neat and nice too. I personally think the 3rd toilet is good if one has a maid... that toilet belongs to the maid. She can bathe there and no need to suspect if maid is secretly using our stuff in the common toilet. :rolleyes:

bigapplefan
11-03-12, 23:13

Well u know how small condos are nowadays. Any inch of space is money.. Haha. I need to remove the toilet bowl so that I can put my washing machine in it cos I don't have a wash yard.

bigapplefan
11-03-12, 23:14
no maid.....killed off the maid 2 years ago and have been living happily after since...... :p

Kill? Haha

bigapplefan
11-03-12, 23:15
good idea but seems messy? seriously I think third toilet is complete waste of space Duno y need to build one... can we hack down e toilet n combine with storeroom ? mine is Side by side can make a nice walk in wardrobe hee
I think developer just assumes everyone had maid in SG lor.. Haha

irisng
12-03-12, 08:36
I have a 3rd toilet too. There is a small washing basin and an extra tap (opposite each other) inside which make the place even narrower. Instead of having the normal wooden door opening "in & out", I change it to a plastic flipping door. I used this toilet to do my laundry.

Jadey
12-03-12, 10:52
Hi everyone

The toilet bowl is not that big. Even if you remove it, how much extra space can you get out if it? At the moment, you might not need it, but when you decided to sell, you will have problem putting it back.

Why not consider building wall cabinet instead?

ysyap
12-03-12, 11:55
I have a 3rd toilet too. There is a small washing basin and an extra tap (opposite each other) inside which make the place even narrower. Instead of having the normal wooden door opening "in & out", I change it to a plastic flipping door. I used this toilet to do my laundry.Good idea to do laundry there but the toilet is usually so small that you'd probably prefer to do laundry outside the toilet, maybe at yard area. Do you have problem with hanging your clothes in that cramped area? Did you condo come with hanging facilities to dry your clothes or do you use a dryer? :cheers1:

ysyap
12-03-12, 11:56
The toilet bowl is not that big. Even if you remove it, how much extra space can you get out if it? At the moment, you might not need it, but when you decided to sell, you will have problem putting it back.

Why not consider building wall cabinet instead?Yup... get those that are not permanent fixture so that its easy to remove should you sell your apartment. ;)

zzz1
12-03-12, 12:23
Killed? How come not in the new?
Maybe your Id can design some kind of box up on the seat .. If u removed, u need to blank off the opening which may not be air tight and as a result , u will constantly have the smell. The toilet seat with the water trap , in fact seal the air via the sewerage line..,

Tripp
12-03-12, 12:48
Let's say we get the neccessary approvals to remove the WC totally (or say replace it with wash basin) from the yard toilet.

In the event if we were to sell our unit later, is it a must to install back the WC?

Was thinking of using the extra space for dryer/washer, and miscellaneous storage as well, or maybe install a longer mechanical clothsline system, i.e. an extension of the yard space.

bunnipet
12-03-12, 13:40
Hi Tripp..

for my first unit, I got my lawyers to write in not to do any installation at
all at the third bathroom except tap. Then got my contractors to put in power
point. Used it for washing machine and dryer. Sold the unit "as is" so did
not need to put toilet bowl / sink back per say.

For my 2nd unit, I got approval to remove the toilet bowl, sink and shower.
But just cover it up as mentioned earlier in the thread. Can put in washing
machine/dryer and quite a big shelf - so use it for storages for all detergents,
hangers/ clips, mops, swimming stuff etc.

ysyap
12-03-12, 13:47
Hi Tripp..

machine/dryer and quite a big shelf - so use it for storages for all detergents,
hangers/ clips, mops, swimming stuff etc.Good to know... :o

howgozit
12-03-12, 17:00
I am guessing your first unit was during the building stage when you got your lawyer to write to your developer to modify the fittings. Strictly speaking that is more a "customisation" rather than "seeking approval".

But for your second unit you mentioned that got "approval" to remove the fittings. I assume that they were already installed when you bought the unit. May I ask whom you got "approval" from? Was it really necessary to get approval?

Hi Tripp..

ysyap
12-03-12, 17:50
Hi Tripp..

hangers/ clips, mops, swimming stuff etc.Can I assume that the yard area you have in both your units are limited therefore you'd rather put the washing machine inside that 3rd toilet?

irisng
12-03-12, 20:10
Good idea to do laundry there but the toilet is usually so small that you'd probably prefer to do laundry outside the toilet, maybe at yard area. Do you have problem with hanging your clothes in that cramped area? Did you condo come with hanging facilities to dry your clothes or do you use a dryer? :cheers1:

Ya, my 3rd toilet is so small that it allows 1 person only. We drilled a hole on each side of the tiles and put a "catch" on it to hold the bamboo sticks (cut to its required length). I'll sit on the "toilet door curb" to do the washing. Finish washing, use the hangers to hang the wet clothing (hangers on the bamboo sticks) and leave it in the toilet to drip water. When the clothing has not much water left, I'll bring the clothing out and hang it at the yard to dry it further, then my yard won't be so wet.

Actually, my condo did come with hanging facilities at the yard like HDB.

At first, I found the 3rd toilet so cumbersome when doing the washing, but now used to it oredi.

ysyap
12-03-12, 20:52
Ya, my 3rd toilet is so small that it allows 1 person only. We drilled a hole on each side of the tiles and put a "catch" on it to hold the bamboo sticks (cut to its required length). I'll sit on the "toilet door curb" to do the washing. Finish washing, use the hangers to hang the wet clothing (hangers on the bamboo sticks) and leave it in the toilet to drip water. When the clothing has not much water left, I'll bring the clothing out and hang it at the yard to dry it further, then my yard won't be so wet.

Actually, my condo did come with hanging facilities at the yard like HDB.

At first, I found the 3rd toilet so cumbersome when doing the washing, but now used to it oredi.Isn't that more work... first hang in small toilet to drip dry before taking out to yard? Hmmm...

KarenK
12-03-12, 21:07
Should be able to do it. Remove the toilet and you will be left with an inlet pipe in the wall and an outlet hole in the floor. Suggest you leave the inlet pipe there and fit it with a tap. Cover up the outlet hole. In future you or any other person who takes over the place from you can still re-install the toilet. I *think* you could use the inlet pipe to connect to a washing machine or dishwasher if you so require but check with your plumber.

that is exactly what we are thinking of doing! :cheers4:
so my concern is whether we are allowed to do it, ie must seek approval from MA etc etc or not......or will it affect the issuance of the CSC?

KarenK
12-03-12, 21:10
I have a 3rd toilet too. There is a small washing basin and an extra tap (opposite each other) inside which make the place even narrower. Instead of having the normal wooden door opening "in & out", I change it to a plastic flipping door. I used this toilet to do my laundry.

I just saw my unit today. wah biangz, the 3rd toilet is EXACTLY what u described except that the developer had the "foresight" to put a plastic e-folding door there instead. It's so small that any maid can't even turn around inside to bathe? what if it's a fat maid instead? :D

Now I'm contemplating removing the tiny wash basin along with the toilet bowl! I'll leave the tap alone & fix a hose there to do laundry & misc washing. Will remove the shower head too.....

KarenK
12-03-12, 21:15
Hi Tripp..

Hi, so were there any bad smells etc as mentioned by someone here after u removed the toilet bowl? There is a space in my yard for the washer/dryer so I basically need the space in the 3rd toilet to store my detergents, mops, and also my laundry baskets in which I will put the unwashed clothes pending the next laundry day. Currently I am unable to find any space in the yard to place my laundry baskets for the unwashed clothes. sighz....:beats-me-man:

irisng
12-03-12, 22:01
Isn't that more work... first hang in small toilet to drip dry before taking out to yard? Hmmm...

Not exactly, when I have finished washing my clothing, definitely I have to hang somewhere, so since I'm using the 3rd toilet for my laundry, so it is natural that the clothing will be hang inside the toilet first, then later bring out to the yard to "air" it. I put my washing machine, cabinet, detergent, mops, pails etc at my yard, so I will try to keep it as dry as possible. My yard is just next to my kitchen and maid's room and I use the maid's room as a computer room and also for ironing of clothing.

ysyap
13-03-12, 07:32
Not exactly, when I have finished washing my clothing, definitely I have to hang somewhere, so since I'm using the 3rd toilet for my laundry, so it is natural that the clothing will be hang inside the toilet first, then later bring out to the yard to "air" it. I put my washing machine, cabinet, detergent, mops, pails etc at my yard, so I will try to keep it as dry as possible. My yard is just next to my kitchen and maid's room and I use the maid's room as a computer room and also for ironing of clothing.Ok... that's pretty neat. Personally, I'd not remove that 3rd toilet, just place things inside for storage. Too troublesome...