PDA

View Full Version : He earns $850 and owns a two-room flat

hyenergix
09-03-12, 06:45
It can be done if you have fat CPF and you better don't fall sick or get retrenched... and with a little financial help from your spouse or perhaps a charitable organisation of course.

Odd-job worker will save on rent when family moves to new home in Punggol
Published on Mar 9, 2012
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_775642.html

By Tay Suan Chiang

Can a Singaporean who earns $850 a month afford to buy a Housing Board flat?

Mr Mohammad Charlie Jasni says yes.

The odd-job labourer earns that amount, and he and his family will be moving into a new two-room HDB flat in Punggol by the end of the year.
Background story

How he pays for his flat
Monthly income: $850
Total household CPF: $40,000
Cost of build-to-order flat in Punggol: $99,220
Additional CPF Housing Grant Scheme: $40,000
Remaining cost of flat: $59,220 ($99,220 less $40,000)
Estimated monthly instalment for payment: $83 for 30 years
Deduction from CPF: $83
Cash outlay: $0

He had successfully balloted for the 45 sq m build-to-order unit in August 2009.

It cost $99,220, but because he earns less than $5,000 a month, he qualifies for a government housing grant that gives him $40,000 to offset the flat's price.

This means he has $59,220 left to pay, which he will do using his Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings.

He and his wife already have about $40,000 in their CPF accounts, and this will grow as he continues to work.

Based on the Housing Board's calculations, he needs to pay a monthly housing instalment of $83 over 30 years.

'By paying the $83 out of my CPF, it means I have that little more for daily expenses,' said Mr Charlie, 33.

He is currently living with his wife and two children in a two-room rental flat in Beo Crescent. They pay $44 a month for that flat.

They are excited about their upcoming home and are already discussing renovation ideas and shopping for furniture.

'It is good to have a home of our own,' he said.
Mr Charlie's story puts a face to a statistic that has been debated in the last week.

In Parliament last Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam revealed that 'a family with $1,000 income can now, through our housing subsidies, purchase a small flat'.

He was responding to Workers' Party member Gerald Giam's comments about Singaporeans being unable to afford a flat.

The minister's remarks sparked off much discussion in both cyberspace and coffee shops alike. Some wondered how $1,000 could buy anyone a flat, given that sum was hardly enough to support a family's daily living expenses.

The next day, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan explained that Mr Tharman was referring to a new two-room flat.

He added that the subsidised price of such flats was about $100,000 if the applicant was a first-time buyer. He would also be entitled to housing grants of up to $60,000.

The net selling price would thus be $40,000, and the monthly mortgage payment can be fully paid from his CPF contribution, Mr Khaw said.

In response to queries from The Straits Times, the Housing Board said it was unable to say how many households earning $1,000 a month own two-room flats. But it pointed to how that it has two schemes that target low-income, first-time buyers.

The Additional CPF Housing Grant Scheme (AHG) benefits households whose income is not more than $5,000 a month. The maximum grant quantum is now $40,000, and it benefits 8,000 households every year, said the Housing Board.

The Special CPF Housing Grant (SHG) is given to first-timer families earning up to $2,250 a month to buy a small flat. Those earning $1,500 or less get a $20,000 grant. SHG is over and above regular housing subsidies and the AHG.

The Housing Board estimated that about 700 tenants currently renting flats under the Public Rental Scheme can benefit from the SHG if they decide to buy a flat. To date, the scheme has benefited 53 households who have bought two-room flats.

The Housing Board also gave The Straits Times five recent case studies of households with monthly income of about $1,000 who bought two-room flats. Four managed to buy new flats with the help of both housing grants. The fifth used only AHG as SHG had not been implemented when he bought his flat.

Out of the five families, three were rental tenants who have bought a new flat without taking any loan because they used the housing grant and their own CPF savings. The other two were families currently living with relatives who have bought new flats using both grants and their CPF savings.

In one case, a couple who lived in a rental flat bought a new flat in Bukit Panjang. At the point of applying for a flat, their monthly income was $900.
The flat cost $106,350. They got the maximum total housing grant of $60,000 - $40,000 AHG and $20,000 SHG. This, together with their CPF savings, meant they did not have to take any loan.

In another case, a man and his mother bought a new flat in Sengkang for $117,750. They got $60,000 in grants, and took a 17-year loan with a monthly instalment of $131.

Schemes to help with expenses

The Straits Times visited five blocks of two-room flats in the Woodlands and Ghim Moh areas this week and spoke to people in over 30 homes.

Most of the residents there were renting their units.

Of the four who owned their flats, one had downgraded from a four-room unit, while three others had downgraded after selling their previous flat in the Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme.

Among those renting, many were in their 60s and 70s and retired. They said they do not have much in their CPF or bank accounts, which is why they cannot buy their own units.

Madam Tan Chui Eng, in her 70s, and her husband, Mr Teo Kim Wee, in his 80s, said they have been living in a two-room rental flat in Ghim Moh for six years.

Most of the money in their CPF accounts has been used for medical expenses, they said. They have three daughters who pay their monthly rental of $61 and utility bills. 'Of course, we would like to buy our own flat, but we cannot afford it,' said Madam Tan in Teochew.

MPs said that with grants and other assistance schemes, households earning $1,000 should be able to afford a two-room flat.

Mr Vikram Nair, an MP for Sembawang GRC, said he knows of such households who rely on CPF contributions to finance their purchases.

As to whether $1,000 is enough for a family to survive, he said there are public assistance schemes, such as GST vouchers and Workfare Bonus, which can help low-income families cope with daily needs.

Mr Liang Eng Hwa, MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, said regardless of whether they buy a flat, low-income households have little cash on hand. But rather than use cash to pay rent, 'why not use the CPF to pay for a flat?'

'The cash they save by not paying rent may not be much, but still it gives them that little more for daily expenditure,' he added.

For odd-job labourer Mr Charlie, every bit saved helps to pay for living expenses. His wife does part-time administrative work.

He did not think he could afford a flat 'but when the Housing Board reintroduced two-room flats again, I felt that perhaps I could afford one'.

In 2006, the Housing Board resumed construction of two-room flats after 20 years, to give more housing options to low-income households.

He decided to wait a bit because he wanted to build up his CPF account first. Now that he has bought a home, he feels the pressure of maintaining his CPF account so that the flat can be paid off.

'Some companies are cutting back on manpower and I'm scared that I may lose my job,' he said.

But he does not regret buying the unit. He hopes to pass the flat - or a bigger one should they ever upgrade - to his children.

[email protected] ([email protected])

august
09-03-12, 08:30
cause for celebration? lol

thomastansb
09-03-12, 08:43
Nowadays, people want a Government like Greece. Give pension, give free houses, guarantee job, rent out your BTO flat on the first day and pay 0% income tax. Not forgetting free buses, $0 COE, no jam.

ay123
09-03-12, 08:55
i think not many country can provide such scheme. if a person earning $850 pm can afford a flat. why the "F" are those ppl complaining they cannot afford a flat? is becos they want more than what they can afford and when they cannot meet their goal, complain n complain. these ppl really knn!!!
must salute to this man, he is daring to take the first step with his miserable pay. now he has planted a "money plant" which will help to grow his wealth than continue paying rental with no return

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:08
dun come here sarcastic la

instead of always point fingers at PAP ...y not do more volunteering work

actions speak louder den words

TO THOSE WHO ALWAYS COMPLAIN THESE AND THAT....MAKING USE OF THE POOR TO ACHIEVE UR PERSONAL GRUDGE AGENDA AGAINST PAP, Y NOT DO MORE VOLUNTEERING WORK FOR THE POOR AND LESS FORTUNATE!!!! ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER DEN WORDS!!!

NO POINT BEING A SARCASTIC AND KEYBOARD HERO! PUI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

august
09-03-12, 09:14
Nowadays, people want a Government like Greece. Give pension, give free houses, guarantee job, rent out your BTO flat on the first day and pay 0% income tax. Not forgetting free buses, $0 COE, no jam.

are u in Spore or Greece?
pension? free houses? 0% income tax? free buses? 0$ COE? no jam??
i don't see any such thing being demanded by sporeans leh.

august
09-03-12, 09:15
dun come here sarcastic la

instead of always point fingers at PAP ...y not do more volunteering work

actions speak louder den words

TO THOSE WHO ALWAYS COMPLAIN THESE AND THAT....MAKING USE OF THE POOR TO ACHIEVE UR PERSONAL GRUDGE AGENDA AGAINST PAP, Y NOT DO MORE VOLUNTEERING WORK FOR THE POOR AND LESS FORTUNATE!!!! ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER DEN WORDS!!!

NO POINT BEING A SARCASTIC AND KEYBOARD HERO! PUI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isn't the news article sarcastic? :confused:

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:20
isn't the news article sarcastic? :confused:
ur comments more sarcastic....lol

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:22
are u in Spore or Greece?
pension? free houses? 0% income tax? free buses? 0$ COE? no jam??
i don't see any such thing being demanded by sporeans leh.
$0 COE lots of keyboard heros wants it leh......they say only Sg got COE.....

netizens aso want free medical services leh

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:24
lots of wants from netizens leh.....

singles aso want to apply for BTO

they want HDB flat to be less den 100k so tat 10yr loan can pay off liao.....25yrs too damn long lor

they say cars in overseas so cheap...y govt nid to haf 110% tax plus COE plus ERp etc etc.....BMW M5 only cost less den 100k in USA!! y 100k can only buy Kia? wakakakaa

ikan bilis
09-03-12, 09:25
S$83 monthly instalment....

for most people, either internet or handphone bill already higher than that... ;) :D

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:27
later on netizens also want unemployment benefits.....free medical .....and u r wrong they want SUPER HIGH INCOME TAX....the higher the better!!! first 50k no tax above 100k tax 80%!!! wakakakakakakaka

TAX THE RICH HELP THE POOR MAH RITE!!! wakakakakaka

august
09-03-12, 09:34
ur comments more sarcastic....lol

you think too much...

august
09-03-12, 09:36
$0 COE lots of keyboard heros wants it leh......they say only Sg got COE.....

netizens aso want free medical services leh

that is a very serious charge, you must be able to back it up...

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:37
not wat i want hor

i am merely echoing wat the keyboard heros wants lor

august
09-03-12, 09:38
not wat i want hor

i am merely echoing wat the keyboard heros wants lor

means you are not able to back it up?

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:39
goto online forums...u r able to see tons of it....whenever got COE rise etc....u can read wat the comments at the yaho news.....wakakakaka

i am really scared....serious charge sia.....sarcastic turned threat!!! wah liu

dun so fierce like Mr August

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:40
means you are not able to back it up?
u see....y nid to threaten me here....

y must i back up...go search for urself...

so next time make sure u dun post any comments unless u can back them up

y not u prove i am wrong instead...isnt it better? u want me to waste time to prove u wrong? wakakakaka

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:42
threatening is also a very serious charge hor Mr August

august
09-03-12, 09:42
goto online forums...u r able to see tons of it....whenever got COE rise etc....u can read wat the comments at the yaho news.....wakakakaka

i am really scared....serious charge sia.....sarcastic turned threat!!! wah liu

dun so fierce like Mr August

take this online forum, do u see sporeans demanding for pension, $0 COE, free buses, 0% income tax and so on?

exaggerations are scary too, we should not anyhow exaggerate...

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:45
take this online forum, do u see sporeans demanding for pension, $0 COE, free buses, 0% income tax and so on?

aiya....u noe i noe can liao.....we all got eyes to see wat kinda comments netizens post online especially during GE period.....

did i mention free buses? 0 income tax? pension?

netizens want to tax the rich MORE!!!!

stl67
09-03-12, 09:48

they have not demanded yet... but they are already comparing that these countries and that countries in Europe, Australia got pension.. education free, car so cheap, freee medical, free this free that.. Why SG have to pay and pay??...:)

august
09-03-12, 09:52
aiya....u noe i noe can liao.....we all got eyes to see wat kinda comments netizens post online especially during GE period.....

did i mention free buses? 0 income tax? pension?

netizens want to tax the rich MORE!!!!

be specific, take yahoo news comments or cna forum, where do u see sporeans asking for pension, 0% income tax, $0 COE, free buses, and so on?

thomastan claims all the above and suggest that sporeans want a government like Greece, and u seems to agree.

teddybear
09-03-12, 09:55
#$%@#%^#%^&^&!!!
Why somebody earning $5k pm still entitled to $40k Additional Housing Grant (AHG) to buy a new HDB BTO? Sometimes, we have to think policies are changed so frequently that disadvantaged the people who earlier who bought full price for HDB BTO with no AHG!

Special Housing Grant (SHG) for low income people with household earning <$2k pm and buying the cheapest 2room $100k HDB flats we can understand, but $5k pm and still get housing grant of $40k to buy a $200k 4rm HDB? :simmering: If they can afford $200k property they don't need $40k housing grant! Using the taxes we pay to subsidize these useless burgers who only know how to complain and complain? Next time expect Govt to subsidize them $500k to buy a EC or private condo? :scared-1:

These are the ones and those household earning up to $12k pm are the ones complaining foreigners making private properties so expensive they can't afford those CCR properties? Tell them facts lah! With $12k pm household income they really cannot afford family-size CCR properties! Go fly kite! :simmering:

i think not many country can provide such scheme. if a person earning $850 pm can afford a flat. why the "F" are those ppl complaining they cannot afford a flat? is becos they want more than what they can afford and when they cannot meet their goal, complain n complain. these ppl really knn!!!
must salute to this man, he is daring to take the first step with his miserable pay. now he has planted a "money plant" which will help to grow his wealth than continue paying rental with no return

devilplate
09-03-12, 09:56
be specific, take yahoo news comments or cna forum, where do u see sporeans asking for pension, 0% income tax, $0 COE, free buses, and so on?

thomastan claims all the above and suggest that sporeans want a government like Greece, and u seems to agree.
GO READ MY COMMENTS AGAIN

ACCUSATIONS IS A VERY SERIOUS CHARGE HOR...

did i mention free bus? pension? 0 income tax?

i only mention netizens wants zero COE, free medical and bto flats to drop to as low as 100k.....and recently i start to read they aso want to tax the rich more!

august
09-03-12, 09:57
they have not demanded yet... but they are already comparing that these countries and that countries in Europe, Australia got pension.. education free, car so cheap, freee medical, free this free that.. Why SG have to pay and pay??...:)

'have not demanded yet' implies they will demand it eventually? Now that is another baseless charge.

I prefer to look at facts and not wild speculations and fear mongering.

august
09-03-12, 10:00
GO READ MY COMMENTS AGAIN

ACCUSATIONS IS A VERY SERIOUS CHARGE HOR...

did i mention free bus? pension? 0 income tax?

i only mention netizens wants zero COE, free medical and bto flats to drop to as low as 100k.....and recently i start to read they aso want to tax the rich more!

I have read your comments and found them to be quite baseless.

I will be more specific than you. For e.g. it is PAP MP Denise Phua who most recently in parliament suggested that the rich should be taxed more.

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:02
'have not demanded yet' implies they will demand it eventually? Now that is another baseless charge.

they wished to have it...they want to have it....but they have not openly demanded for it....

make sense?

i can type online saying y govt nid to tax 110% for cars....y stupid COE but traffic still jam......isnt tat implying i want to have no COE and want govt to reduce 110% tax BUT i did not DEMAND for it.....rite?

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:03
I have read your comments and found them to be quite baseless.

I will be more specific than you. For e.g. it is PAP MP Denise Phua who most recently in parliament suggested that the rich should be taxed more.
i am toking about netizens....nvm la....

now i will monitor ur comments....make sure watever u post u must be able to back it up wif facts and figures

teddybear
09-03-12, 10:04
Sooner or later lah! Who don't want free pension, free education, cheap car, cheap public transport (free better), free medical, free this free that as long as they are not the ones paying to taxes to the govt to provide all these to these "free-loaders"? :hell-hath-no-fury:

Judging from the people asking for all these you know where they stand! :simmering:

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:04
want to play like tat....fine

make sure MR August himself can back up watever comments he post from now onwards

august
09-03-12, 10:05
they wished to have it...they want to have it....but they have not openly demanded for it....

make sense?

i can type online saying y govt nid to tax 110% for cars....y stupid COE but traffic still jam......isnt tat implying i want to have no COE and want govt to reduce 110% tax BUT i did not DEMAND for it.....rite?

It may make sense to you, but your inference is really a logical leap. In other words, baseless. Which is why in post #13 i said you think too much.

august
09-03-12, 10:09
i am toking about netizens....nvm la....

now i will monitor ur comments....make sure watever u post u must be able to back it up wif facts and figures

What is nvm? is it short for 'never mind'?

I am puzzled, first you say nevermind, then you say from now on u will "make sure.........." So seems like you actually mind, and is not 'never mind'.

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:09
It may make sense to you, but your inference is really a logical leap. In other words, baseless. Which is why in post #13 i said you think too much.
u mentioned tat the article is sarcastic....i can also say u tink too much?

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:10

I am puzzled, first you say nevermind, then you say from now on u will "make sure.........." So seems like you actually mind, and is not 'never mind'.
play wif words now...

very good....

we shall all monitor ur comments from now onwards....

august
09-03-12, 10:11
u mentioned tat the article is sarcastic....i can also say u tink too much?

sure, you are entitled to think that way.

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:12

die die wan to have last word ar Mr August? wakakakaka

august
09-03-12, 10:13
play wif words now...

very good....

we shall all monitor ur comments from now onwards....

'we'? Where is the 'we'? Who are the rest? Can you be more specific? Otherwise it seems it is only just 'you', alone.

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:14
so care to explain ur meaning behind this comment?

august
09-03-12, 10:17
die die wan to have last word ar Mr August? wakakakaka

Certainly not, and I can back it up circumstantially. For e.g. i certainly won't have the last word in this thread.

Ilikeu
09-03-12, 10:48

bro devil is two-face... say one thing, and immediately next he say another thing. i got it once.
get used to it, bro august.
and then suddenly, he gets pissed off and may use the f word on you.

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:56
bro devil is two-face... say one thing, and immediately next he say another thing. i got it once.
get used to it, bro august.
and then suddenly, he gets pissed off and may use the f word on you.
still bey song? wah liu.....let go and move on la ;)

devilplate
09-03-12, 10:58
i noe liao...petty ppl like to pick on words and play around wif it....the worse thing is, they ownself suffers and cant let go after so long.....must learn how to let go and move on...may lead to depression wor....no joke

devilplate
09-03-12, 11:02
i assume august and ilikeu r both male?

i wonder y male like to pick on words? i always tot only gers pick on words wor.....

how many bros here experience ur wifey/gf or even ur mom/sis picking ur words? stressful and scary rite? no joke

buttercarp
09-03-12, 12:34
i assume august and ilikeu r both male?

i wonder y male like to pick on words? i always tot only gers pick on words wor.....

how many bros here experience ur wifey/gf or even ur mom/sis picking ur words? stressful and scary rite? no joke

Maybe they are alpha males.

Allthepies
09-03-12, 16:26
later on netizens also want unemployment benefits.....free medical .....and u r wrong they want SUPER HIGH INCOME TAX....the higher the better!!! first 50k no tax above 100k tax 80%!!! wakakakakakakaka

TAX THE RICH HELP THE POOR MAH RITE!!! wakakakakaka

u think Singaporeans so good meh, it is more like tax the others don't tax me :D

if his income is $40k, he will say must help the poor lah, don't tax the first 40k, tax the rich at 50% for income >40k.

if his income is 120k, he will still say the same think but adjust the "poor" income bracket to become 120k =)

price
09-03-12, 16:31
u think Singaporeans so good meh, it is more like tax the others don't tax me :D

if his income is $40k, he will say must help the poor lah, don't tax the first 40k, tax the rich at 50% for income >40k.

if his income is 120k, he will still say the same think but adjust the "poor" income bracket to become 120k =)

Aiya Singaporeans will never be happy. Sometimes i wish these ppl who complain will step forward and provide suggestions on how to run this Country rather than just make noise behind

ikan bilis
09-03-12, 18:17
no-lah... netizen like me will never demand govt to handout free meal... me only asking my mortgage bank to take 50% hair cut... like greece like that... can??.. ;) :D

hyenergix
09-03-12, 19:50
I see many angry bulls and bears here.

Good - the property market is stirring again...

Bad - It's in the thread I started...

Cool down leh, I thought the weather was very nice today and it was great for me as I managed to settle some stuffs :)

ysyap
09-03-12, 21:28
I see many angry bulls and bears here.

Good - the property market is stirring again...

Bad - It's in the thread I started...

Cool down leh, I thought the weather was very nice today and it was great for me as I managed to settle some stuffs :)Cool liao lor... weather return to normal again... think tonight is breezy... :)

ysyap
09-03-12, 21:29
no-lah... netizen like me will never demand govt to handout free meal... me only asking my mortgage bank to take 50% hair cut... like greece like that... can??.. ;) :DThat is probably 20 years to 80 years of free meal??? :D

howgozit
10-03-12, 13:03
Things always get a little ugly when politics is involved. But the irony is that your postings are apolitical. PAP bashing has become a popular pastime. When PAP bashers cannot win an argument on substance they tend to be very sensitive. One cannot even be neutral about politics without being set upon by the PAP bashers.

Anyway no sweat bro. I salute you for your volunteer work. More Singaporeans should be doing it rather than complaining.

i noe liao...petty ppl like to pick on words and play around wif it....the worse thing is, they ownself suffers and cant let go after so long.....must learn how to let go and move on...may lead to depression wor....no joke