PDA

View Full Version : Iron grille in front of full length windows and doors?

Lord Anus
23-02-12, 01:18
Hi,

Would like your expert opinion.

My wife and i are having this argument.

We have a modern design fully landed semi detached house in bukit timah, just rebuilt in the typical modern design, steel, timber, lots of glass, bamboo plants, etc. It is in a fairly quiet area, with low traffic. The property's walls are not very high, and there is pavement outside.

She wants to install those big ugly iron grilles in front of the full length glass doors and windows!! She says it is for safety and she doesn't trust the alarm system we installed (which has an alarm that goes straight to the security company, who in turn will inform the police if it is a genuine forced entry), saying that she will be raped many times :rolleyes: even before police arrived. So old skool right?!?!?!?

She said that was how it was when she grew up, in the old days.

I argued that, last time, people weren't so concerned about house design, and if you wanted to put these ugly things around the whole house, why on earth did we even bother to spend a bomb rebuilding the house in the modern steel, wood and glass design style!

What are you people's opinions???

I really do not want these things spoiling the look of my new house! And yet, i can't help feeling what she says has some truth in it.

Is there a compromise?

If not, can anybody teach me how to convince her that alarm system is safe enough?

Thanks!

howgozit
23-02-12, 02:08
Did you seek her opinion during the rebuilding plans?... maybe the architect could have worked in a compromise.

lifeline
23-02-12, 03:38
I have experienced your same anguish 10 years ago and given in. Overcome the issue with nice unique design on galvanised wrought iron fully hotdipped even at the joints. You will find it difficult to overcome ingrained concerns of insecurity, and the spouses are right, esp when a few houses in the neighbourhood are burglarised on that 1 rare occasion and yours is not.

In fact doing reno now along with relative and this time I did not even try to put up any resistance. Though this time we put up grilles only on the potential areas of weakness on ground floor (meaning all) and roof terrace. Only 5 in my new neighbourhood put up grilles, the rest use alarms or none. In fact one neighbour wondered aloud why we decide to put grilles, thinking we must be hdb upgraders.

My advice: you may first try to convince her to go without grilles, better for resale next time. However, dun focus and think too much about it and get all worked up. Now I am so comfortable with the grilles and can even leave the doors open. Pm me if you want our 2 sets of designs (wife custom designed herself, after finding out differences in rod length and manufacturing plus design constraints). And if you must use grilles, will strongly recommend my grilles contractor who does not cut corners in manufacturing... still around after 20 years, and first recommended by my brother-in-law. Actually your architect should be able to work in the grilles into your design, fashioned as those modern sun shades, etc.

Congrats on owning a new house! And I hope you feel slightly better knowing that there are others who have experienced what you feel now. Look on the positive sides!

P/S : I have no vested interest and am not related to that grilles contractor. Indeed trying experience typing on ipad. Cheers!

samsara
23-02-12, 05:30
Bro, have you considered using "invisible grilles (http://www.invisiblegrille.com.sg/)" as a compromise? They offer better security - each cable is quite strong and is not that easy to break.

The entire grille is also electrically hooked up to the alarm system so anyone who cuts any of the cables will immediately trigger the 100 decible alarm. Aesthetically it looks better than conventional grilles and are not that noticeable from a distance.

Hi,

We have a modern design fully landed semi detached house in bukit timah, just rebuilt in the typical modern design, steel, timber, lots of glass, bamboo plants, etc. It is in a fairly quiet area, with low traffic. The property's walls are not very high, and there is pavement outside.

She wants to install those big ugly iron grilles in front of the full length glass doors and windows!! She says it is for safety and she doesn't trust the alarm system we installed (which has an alarm that goes straight to the security company, who in turn will inform the police if it is a genuine forced entry), saying that she will be raped many times :rolleyes: even before police arrived. So old skool right?!?!?!?

I argued that, last time, people weren't so concerned about house design, and if you wanted to put these ugly things around the whole house, why on earth did we even bother to spend a bomb rebuilding the house in the modern steel, wood and glass design style!

I really do not want these things spoiling the look of my new house! And yet, i can't help feeling what she says has some truth in it.

Is there a compromise?

If not, can anybody teach me how to convince her that alarm system is safe enough?

Thanks!

jonathann80
23-02-12, 07:46
how about building a steel cage welded to the floor in one of the rooms so tat she can make use of the enclosed environment?

maisonjai
23-02-12, 08:32
Can install motion sensors surrounding the house unless the intruder is Tom Cruise. Paste a big warning sticker at ur front gate "House protected & monitored 24hr". Place a remote alarm beside her bed.

land118
23-02-12, 08:51
Can install motion sensors surrounding the house unless the intruder is Tom Cruise. Paste a big warning sticker at ur front gate "House protected & monitored 24hr". Place a remote alarm beside her bed. Plus a Big Beware of Dog Sign:

lifeline
23-02-12, 09:14
install those big ugly iron grilles in front of the full length glass doors and windows!! She says it is for safety and she doesn't trust the alarm system we installed (which has an alarm that goes straight to the security company, who in turn will inform the police if it is a genuine forced entry), saying that she will be raped many times :rolleyes: even before police arrived. So old skool right?!?!?!?

if really must have grilles, can also install behind the glass doors and in front of the curtains.

actually fear is irrational. best is to discuss the whys to explore its origins. and to demo to the extended family, esp her mother and siblings, that the best and secure system has already been installed, so that they can help allay the unnecessary anxiety in her.

Piglet
23-02-12, 09:39
"One does not simply install window grills in a modern designer house..."

I think your wife is too paranoid.
Glass windows and Doors also can be locked.

No burglars or Rapers wil be so kok to break the glass so loudly to commit thier crime.
Unless you guys gana Gangster coming to seek revenge over somthing.

And if really so, she thinks these people got no ways to force open iron grills locks??

Having iron grills around the house is Plain STUPID and uneccessary. If the Locked glass doors cannot protect her, the iron Grills Will Not protect her as well.

Sorry dude, I feel your pain.

land118
23-02-12, 10:18
We have a modern design fully landed semi detached house in bukit timah, just rebuilt in the typical modern design, steel, timber, lots of glass, bamboo plants, etc. It is in a fairly quiet area, with low traffic. The property's walls are not very high, and there is pavement outside.... When Home Minister speak, jialat we always have to listen and pacifiy. Perhaps you can think of extending the wall higher by installing either iron fixture (similar to those wrought iron gate type) or glass panels (quite "in" now but glass material maybe your wife will say useless). It is common to have a pavement beside the your wall. Reassure her that the 1st line of defence has improved and moreover you have 24 hour security. If you are dog lover, perhaps you could get a guard dog, this will deter any strangers from coming close to your house as they walk along pavement. But end of the day, do reassure her that Singapore is relatively safe now compared to many other countries where houses are protected by elelctric fences, etc. And of course, you are a phone call away, so you can protect her.:D

Endure..., need your persuasion so that you wife feel comforted safe.. What to do..., woman complain, we need to appease them...if not everyday ear very pain..:D

PN
23-02-12, 10:33
Hi,

Is there a compromise?

Thanks!
If you already have 24hrs security. Once the alarm is triggered and sounds loudly, I doubt anyone in this world will still dare to stay and do anything to the wife right?

If she still don't feel safe, suggest buy her a baseball bat or golf clubs just in case she needs them.

Apologize if I sounds rude.

hopeful
23-02-12, 10:38
"One does not simply install window grills in a modern designer house..."

I think your wife is too paranoid.
Glass windows and Doors also can be locked.

No burglars or Rapers wil be so kok to break the glass so loudly to commit thier crime.
Unless you guys gana Gangster coming to seek revenge over somthing.

And if really so, she thinks these people got no ways to force open iron grills locks??

Having iron grills around the house is Plain STUPID and uneccessary. If the Locked glass doors cannot protect her, the iron Grills Will Not protect her as well.

Sorry dude, I feel your pain.

in times of social unrest, physical barriers like grills is much better than electronic systems or invisible grills.

Rich and middle class Indonesians buy homes in Singapore, store of value and also a place of refuge in case of social rest there.
afterall, there are 200,000 NSmen to protect the refugees.

which country are Singaporeans going to run to?

samsara
23-02-12, 11:58
JB, and some say Batam.

which country are Singaporeans going to run to?

mcmlxxvi
23-02-12, 12:20
Get a really fierce guard dog. Also ask u wife go for self defence course. Benefit of a lifetime actually and is portable skill wherever u may move to.

buttercarp
23-02-12, 12:30
Bro, have you considered using "invisible grilles (http://www.invisiblegrille.com.sg/)" as a compromise? They offer better security - each cable is quite strong and is not that easy to break.

The entire grille is also electrically hooked up to the alarm system so anyone who cuts any of the cables will immediately trigger the 100 decible alarm. Aesthetically it looks better than conventional grilles and are not that noticeable from a distance.

I enquired about the invisible grille and the man said it is easily cut by pliers, so it is not a good option.

So far all opinions are from guys right?

So I am giving opinion from the girl's side.

I will be staying in a terrace house in the near future so I will be faced with the same problem. The different thing is that I think my hubby will let me decide the decor.

TS, I will go with your wife's idea of grilles.
It is better for the women folk in the family.
I will have grilles, alarm system, light sensors, 24 hour camera and a big dog or dogs. I intend to let the dog sleep with me and another dog for my daughter.
In addtion, i will have wind chimes attached to my door and windows so that when someone opens it, i will know.

If I am rich enough in future.....i might even hire a security guard!:D

howgozit
23-02-12, 12:42
Btw, grilling up a semi-d ain't gonna be cheap... iron grill some more. Don't forget you have to grille up every floor and every opening including the toilet windows. If you wanna do it, cannot do half measure right?

In the end, I can tell you the security improvement is only psychological bcoz the the stongest iron grille is only as strong as the lock that is keeping it closed. No problem for your average housebreaker.

Grilling up your house like that not only destroys the facade of the house but there is also a chance that it may attract the unnecesary attention of criminals who may be wondering why would anyone want to do that to an otherwise very beautiful home. Must be loads of treasure inside.

Anyway, good luck in trying to convince your wife.

buttercarp
23-02-12, 12:51
Howgozit, what you have said is true....
No point do half way job.
I forgot about the toilet..... if people can escape through it, they can also enter through it.
I may have to abandon the idea of grilles all together.

hopeful
23-02-12, 12:53
why don't get a chastity belt? :p

hopeful
23-02-12, 12:55
Howgozit, what you have said is true....
No point do half way job.
I forgot about the toilet..... if people can escape through it, they can also enter through it.
I may have to abandon the idea of grilles all together.

here, we grill all openings, including toilet ventilation.

acidic.straw
23-02-12, 16:14
I enquired about the invisible grille and the man said it is easily cut by pliers, so it is not a good option.

I will be staying in a terrace house in the near future so I will be faced with the same problem. The different thing is that I think my hubby will let me decide the decor.

I will have grilles, alarm system, light sensors, 24 hour camera and a big dog or dogs. I intend to let the dog sleep with me and another dog for my daughter.
In addtion, i will have wind chimes attached to my door and windows so that when someone opens it, i will know.

wow!:doh: ...and that's why I stay in apartment :sleep:

acidic.straw
23-02-12, 16:15

:doh: :doh: :doh:

CCR
23-02-12, 17:45
sell your landed lah bro.... make some money...

Buy a nice penthouse with a big balcony that extend from the living room... dont buy those with room terrace...

Then no problem liao.... landed living with nice view and no grill needed

mcmlxxvi
23-02-12, 22:00
sell your landed lah bro.... make some money...

Buy a nice penthouse with a big balcony that extend from the living room... dont buy those with room terrace...

Then no problem liao.... landed living with nice view and no grill needed
That one different problem liao... Birds come and "lay eggs"...

devilplate
23-02-12, 22:18
Mabe tats y townhse within condo got its advantages?

PN
24-02-12, 06:44

Hopeless. :doh:

hopeful
24-02-12, 08:15
If I read TS initial post correctly, TS's wife fear was being raped (many times?), and not being robbed. So wouldn't it easier to just guard her virtue by using a chastity belt instead of installing grills and spoiling the home decor?
so win-win solution for both parties.
additional win:
A chastity belt provides mobile protection also, as in go outside of the house, also protect from being rape. whereas installing grills at home doesnt protect from rape outside.

buttercarp
24-02-12, 08:32

Where to buy?:ashamed1:

land118
24-02-12, 09:20
Where to buy?:ashamed1:
Just for laughs, u may consider this for your man next time::D

http://www.chastitybeltformen.com/

mcmlxxvi
24-02-12, 13:26
One can be raped above the waist too.

mcmlxxvi
24-02-12, 13:28

So now pee also have to ask wife permission?

hopeful
24-02-12, 13:40

quite a good idea. better to put small spikes inside the enclosure. see hot chicks have to control. if cannot control, mix pain with pleasure :p

land118
24-02-12, 13:53
quite a good idea. better to put small spikes inside the enclosure. see hot chicks have to control. if cannot control, mix pain with pleasure :pYa man, quite innovative. With your idea, wife will check if kena spiked or not...; :scared-4:

land118
24-02-12, 13:55
So now pee also have to ask wife permission?Bro, look like have opening to pee, but kena wear one, then too shy to pee in urinal, have to go to cubicle already...:scared-4:

hopeful
24-02-12, 14:12
make it compulsary for sex offenders, and for religious leaders whose religion forbid them to xxx.

mcmlxxvi
24-02-12, 14:31
Bro, look like have opening to pee, but kena wear one, then too shy to pee in urinal, have to go to cubicle already...:scared-4:
Now we know why some male friends or colleagues always have to go cubicle to pee

mcmlxxvi
24-02-12, 14:33
make it compulsary for sex offenders, and for religious leaders whose religion forbid them to xxx.
May i ask who to hold the keys then?

hopeful
24-02-12, 14:41
May i ask who to hold the keys then?

for sex offenders, their victims hold the keys :p.
for religious leaders who is supposed to practise abstinence, threw the keys away, being a servant of the big G is a life long commitment. :scared-4:

land118
24-02-12, 14:46
for sex offenders, their victims hold the keys :p.
for religious leaders who is supposed to practise abstinence, threw the keys away, being a servant of the big G is a life long commitment. :scared-4:can you imagine, person wearing this belt asking the locksmith to try to unlock...:scared-1:

mcmlxxvi
24-02-12, 14:57
can you imagine, person wearing this belt asking the locksmith to try to unlock...:scared-1:
Man... I don wanna be that locksmith...

hopeful
24-02-12, 15:01
Man... I don wanna be that locksmith...

no problemo if locksmith is gay. The locksmith will purposely take a long time :p

mcmlxxvi
24-02-12, 15:22
no problemo if locksmith is gay. The locksmith will purposely take a long time :p
No logic. I think he will Open even faster to see the real thing beneath

hopeful
24-02-12, 15:30
No logic. I think he will Open even faster to see the real thing beneath

usually sex offender is hetero, meaning molest women, so no interest in man locksmith.
or sex offender is paedophile, molest young kids, so no interest in adult locksmith.
unlikely convicted sex offender is a homo, because where got man report being molested by other man?

so once gay locksmith open up the lock, the sex offender being hetero/paedophile would quickly send the locksmith away.

the gay locksmith knowing this fact, would take his time to open up the lock, if cannot fondle the penile, can still fondle the testicles right?
his explanation to the sex offender, need to hold for tighter grip:p

PN
24-02-12, 15:59
usually sex offender is hetero, meaning molest women, so no interest in man locksmith.
or sex offender is paedophile, molest young kids, so no interest in adult locksmith.
unlikely convicted sex offender is a homo, because where got man report being molested by other man?

so once gay locksmith open up the lock, the sex offender being hetero/paedophile would quickly send the locksmith away.

the gay locksmith knowing this fact, would take his time to open up the lock, if cannot fondle the penile, can still fondle the testicles right?
his explanation to the sex offender, need to hold for tighter grip:p

You sounds like an expert. Please take over this thread and change the title accordingly. :D

I think Lord Anus would not mind.

hopeful
24-02-12, 16:25
You sounds like an expert. Please take over this thread and change the title accordingly. :D

I think Lord Anus would not mind.

thanks for the compliment. This is a result of Singapore education system. All cracked up. Remember a lot of teachers or on scholarships that was caught last year? or the school principal this year being a client of vice ring?
Please refer to "Is this sustainable" post on moral education in Singapore:p.

PN
24-02-12, 17:11
thanks for the compliment. This is a result of Singapore education system. All cracked up. Remember a lot of teachers or on scholarships that was caught last year? or the school principal this year being a client of vice ring?

Singapore is not perfect. I think you're not local & doubt the country you from is better.

Anyway it's your thread. Enjoy.

buttercarp
24-02-12, 19:36
can you imagine, person wearing this belt asking the locksmith to try to unlock...:scared-1:

If locksmith is a pretty female, I am sure you won't mind?

buttercarp
24-02-12, 19:39

Singapore is not perfect. I think you're not local & doubt the country you from is better.

Anyway it's your thread. Enjoy.

He mentioned before that he is from Indonesia.
Btw.... got a handful of Indonesian neighbours in my place whose kids are studying here.

howgozit
25-02-12, 21:27
Haha... chastity for men in today's context may not necessarily mean the front part of the pelvis.

howgozit
25-02-12, 22:02
Yah agree... cluster housing/townhouse certainly answers the security issues.

Mabe tats y townhse within condo got its advantages?

Patriciaong
18-07-12, 10:36

Invisible gill good for balcony etc.
For security not good enough.

Think you can read more about different types of grilles here (http://www.windowgrill.com.sg/blog/different-types-of-window-grilles.html)