PDA

View Full Version : Workers' Party expels Yaw Shin Leong

land118
15-02-12, 17:22
Opposition also doing their own clean-up:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1183169/1/.html

Workers' Party expels Yaw Shin Leong
By Imelda Saad/Joanne Chan | Posted: 15 February 2012 1720 hrs

SINGAPORE : The Workers' Party has expelled its Member of Parliament (MP) for Hougang, Yaw Shin Leong, with immediate effect.

Party Chairman Sylvia Lim said at a media conference on Wednesday that the party believes strongly in transparency and accountability, and expects no less from party members, especially an MP.

She said transparency and accountability are key but these have not been met.

She said Mr Yaw has been accused of several indiscretions in his private life.

She said by continuing not to account to the party and the people, especially the residents of Hougang, he has broken the faith, trust and expectations of the party and the people.

The shocking announcement came after weeks of speculation and rumours that Mr Yaw has had an alleged extra-marital affair with a fellow opposition member.

Other WP MPs will cover his duties in Hougang.

Ms Lim said the decision was difficult and painful for the party.

She said Mr Yaw has been a core member of the party leadership for more than 10 years and has made significant and unique contributions to the party's growth.

She said he has also served residents of Hougang diligently.

However, the council has decided that it is in the public interest to take this step.

Ms Lim said the party believes it is only fair to Hougang residents that they have another opportunity to elect their MP.

She said the party apologises for having to put them through a by-election.

She also assured Hougang residents that they will continue to be served by the party until the by-election is called.

The Meet-the-People sessions in Hougang will continue, with other WP MPs covering.

Ms Lim said Mr Yaw was invited to attend the party's Central Executive Council meeting on Tuesday night to discuss the allegations but he did not show up.

WP Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang announced the shocking news in Mandarin.

He said the decision to expel Mr Yaw was painful but stressed that the party has to act so that its MPs can stand tall and take the People's Action Party government to account.

Also present at the media conference were Aljunied GRC MP Pritam Singh and Non-Constituency MP Gerald Giam.

Political watcher Zulkifli Baharudin said the WP's move to expel Mr Yaw shows the party holds itself accountable to the public.

Mr Zulkifli said Singaporeans expect their politicians to have clean and responsible values in both public and private life.

He said: "One signal that the WP is sending is that they are here; perhaps they are making a significant compromise in the short term, knowing that they fought very hard to have Hougang as their foothold, and entrusted that to a young member of their leadership.

"And I think they are making a huge sacrifice in this effort, simply because they are clearly focused on the long term and want to get the support of Singaporeans at large."

- CNA/ms

azeoprop
15-02-12, 17:39
Good chance for PaP to attack Wp in the by election. :scared-3:

land118
15-02-12, 18:29
Good chance for PaP to attack Wp in the by election. :scared-3:
If WP win in by election, then PAP can surely 4get about winning Hougang for ages....

But I suspect PAP didn't expect WP to take a hard stand on this, kudos to WP for having the guts to do this, actually, what they have done is very "PAP" style...

land118
15-02-12, 18:43
"WP may win an even bigger portion of the votes. You have seen how PAP have immediately hiked prices of everything eg uni fees, transport, right after elections. Ppl are tired of their same old model. Now even elderly leaders are talking about the importance of foreign immigration, so looks like they're going to open the floodgates again."

mantrix
15-02-12, 19:21
If WP win in by election, then PAP can surely 4get about winning Hougang for ages....

But I suspect PAP didn't expect WP to take a hard stand on this, kudos to WP for having the guts to do this, actually, what they have done is very "PAP" style...

they really did the right thing though it was tough to do, especially so for Low...:cheers1:

CCR
15-02-12, 20:07
Well Done!!!!!

Good job by WP....
Now if PAP protect their own MP or minister then WP will be able to the hihg ground...

Exciting times in SIN politics

Regulators
15-02-12, 20:17
Expel him for what? I think yaw shin leong is a good lad, at least he haas more substance than many in the pap imo.

CCR
15-02-12, 20:25
Must take the moral high ground... or else how to question PAP when they do wrong?

azeoprop
15-02-12, 20:29
Maybe that woman he was involved in is a political spy sent by rival party haa haa... :D

land118
15-02-12, 20:40
PM working OT:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1183211/1/.html

No fixed time within which by-election must be called: PM Lee
By Joanne Chan | Posted: 15 February 2012 2108 hrs

SINGAPORE : Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said there is no fixed time within which he must call a by-election.

Responding to media queries over the Workers' Party's expulsion of its MP for Hougang, Yaw Shin Leong, Mr Lee said an election is a very serious matter and noted that Singapore just had a General Election less than a year ago.

Mr Lee said: "Now, the Hougang SMC is vacant, as a result of what Mr Yaw Shin Leong has done, and the way the WP has handled the matter".

He said that "the WP has let down the voters of Hougang".

On whether a by-election in Hougang will be held, and the timing, Mr Lee said he "will consider the matter carefully".

He added that "there are many other issues on the national agenda right now".

- CNA/ms

Regulators
15-02-12, 21:27
Just tell the public this kind of mistake is once in a hundred years, it is an honest mistake and move on lor
Must take the moral high ground... or else how to question PAP when they do wrong?

mantrix
15-02-12, 21:35
WP has demonstrated what is true accountability...

PAP usually just defend their ministers to the end....or the minister himself quits because of public pressure...

extremme
15-02-12, 22:09
kudos to wp. They have demonstrated morals over party power and set a precedence to pap

amk
15-02-12, 22:11
Although I dun like LTK, this one must give him credit.
You cannot criticize PAP and at the same time tolerate some one of your own having such affairs.
Well done WP. Pretty sure it will win again, maybe even higher margin.

Leeds
15-02-12, 22:43
PM working OT:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1183211/1/.html

No fixed time within which by-election must be called: PM Lee
By Joanne Chan | Posted: 15 February 2012 2108 hrs

SINGAPORE : Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said there is no fixed time within which he must call a by-election.

Responding to media queries over the Workers' Party's expulsion of its MP for Hougang, Yaw Shin Leong, Mr Lee said an election is a very serious matter and noted that Singapore just had a General Election less than a year ago.

Mr Lee said: "Now, the Hougang SMC is vacant, as a result of what Mr Yaw Shin Leong has done, and the way the WP has handled the matter".

He said that "the WP has let down the voters of Hougang".

On whether a by-election in Hougang will be held, and the timing, Mr Lee said he "will consider the matter carefully".

He added that "there are many other issues on the national agenda right now".

- CNA/ms

Indeed having a by-election this year is not a good time for the ruling party. Among other things, prices of housing are still not affordable despite various CMs. I suspect the best time for a by-election is when the Euro crisis hits Asia. Historically, PAP did best in GE when Singapore's economy took a hit.

august
15-02-12, 23:13

parliament got discuss extra-marital affairs one ah? :D

marktkt22
15-02-12, 23:27
Yes, to be in for long haul,
Take the bitter bill but at least got the moral high ground ....
That remind me. ...how scdf and cnb scandal, and ...
And the school principal, uniform personal who engaged call girl

fclim
15-02-12, 23:35
WP is screwed. They acted too fast and too rashly. They should have given Yaw more time. They were acting more in the interests of the party than the residents of Hougang.

Now, PM has said that no need to call a by election anytime soon. Who's going to take care of Hougang residents now? PAP is hoping to script this to their advantage.

felicia_sg
16-02-12, 06:58
Aiya, Sylvia lim already said WP will continue to serve people until by election. If no by election, then govn don't pay 1 MP but then WP still continue to support Lor.. Clever leh...shd ask PAP why don't want by election? No need to call a by election soon aft 1yr election is nt convincing.

WP is screwed. They acted too fast and too rashly. They should have given Yaw more time. They were acting more in the interests of the party than the residents of Hougang.

Now, PM has said that no need to call a by election anytime soon. Who's going to take care of Hougang residents now? PAP is hoping to script this to their advantage.

buttercarp
16-02-12, 07:03
Politician's life must be clean and immaculate.
I wonder if WP knew about YSL's pte life before fielding him in as a candidate.
If they had, then they would have known this day will come.

buttercarp
16-02-12, 07:05
It is sad to see that women can bring downfall to a man's career......

Lovelle
16-02-12, 08:35
anybody agree with Pm comment on "the way WP handled the matter" ??

gn108
16-02-12, 08:40
I like :cheers4: ... my fave phrase these days, since I make mistakes all the time.

Just tell the public this kind of mistake is once in a hundred years, it is an honest mistake and move on lor

gn108
16-02-12, 08:46
All in all - a dark period for Singapore.

As for WP, I think taking the bullet now is best ...moral high ground and also tactically now is the best timing with all the other dirt flying around.
PAP can mud sling but the mud can be thrown back to some degree.

Media will have a field day carving Yaw's political carcass.

anybody agree with Pm comment on "the way WP handled the matter" ??

land118
16-02-12, 08:48
PM said: "there are many other issues on the national agenda right now". Wonder if there are too many issues that is not in favour of ruling party for by-election? Normally, in this case, where ward is ruled by opposition, if got chance to have by-election, surely ruling party would gladly jump at this opportunity to win back the ward...:2cents:

gn108
16-02-12, 08:54
I reckon, PAP were surprised by WP's move to expel Yaw in the first place.
So buy time to see if they have candidate, test the ground etc and of course re-bleach their white shirts/trousers.

Tactically, they are better served if they don't have a bi-election if they are sure they won't win.
Just isolate the Hougangians - then promise them Gold in the next GE.

PM said: "there are many other issues on the national agenda right now". Wonder if there are too many issues that is not in favour of ruling party for by-election? Normally, in this case, where ward is ruled by opposition, if got chance to have by-election, surely ruling party would gladly jump at this opportunity to win back the ward...:2cents:

ay123
16-02-12, 08:57
Expel him for what? I think yaw shin leong is a good lad, at least he haas more substance than many in the pap imo.

so is ok to have such MP to serve ppl? :doh: doing such thing is showing this person has no moral. a person who has no moral is shit even he has substance!!! furthermore he is the treasurer, should get an independent auditor to check on them also.

mantrix
16-02-12, 09:07
I reckon, PAP were surprised by WP's move to expel Yaw in the first place.
So buy time to see if they have candidate, test the ground etc and of course re-bleach their white shirts/trousers.

Tactically, they are better served if they don't have a bi-election if they are sure they won't win.
Just isolate the Hougangians - then promise them Gold in the next GE.

yah actually PAP hoping for WP to let this go so they have more bullets to attack

admittedly this move took them by surprise so they have to resort to using words like 'misled' and 'let down' ... LOL :D

Lovelle
16-02-12, 09:09

he was caught off- guard . i also find it funny with kbw comment.he says, if wp know yaw well why they even field him in the GE? then.....he say WP let down hougang voters...

mantrix
16-02-12, 09:42
he was caught off- guard . i also find it funny with kbw comment.he says, if wp know yaw well why they even field him in the GE? then.....he say WP let down hougang voters...

if pap knows kbw and his track record why field him as NDM, now prices still not cooling so he 'misled' us ar? :D

august
16-02-12, 09:53
seems like PAP is afraid of elections. :D

Lovelle
16-02-12, 10:44
if pap knows kbw and his track record why field him as NDM, now prices still not cooling so he 'misled' us ar? :D

it's like everybody knows Yaw before he join WP. I think even Low also don't know who is Yaw grandmother...

land118
16-02-12, 12:44
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120216-328217.html

WP should come clean on Yaw: PAP chairman

AsiaOne
Thursday, Feb 16, 2012

PAP chairman and Minister for National Development Mr Khaw Boon Wan said the Workers' Party (WP) should come clean with the people on expelled WP member Yaw Shin Leong's alleged extramarital affair.
The New Paper reported today that Mr Khaw expressed surprise with the WP's "sudden U-turn" of expelling Mr Yaw from the party when the WP leadership had stood shoulder to shoulder in solidarity with him at the party's Chinese New Year dinner.
(http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120126-324054.html)

Speaking to the media during a door-stop, Mr Khaw asked why the WP took so long to investigate the allegations and said the WP has to come clean and explain what changed their minds recently.
He also questioned why the WP fielded Mr Yaw to run in Hougang single-member constituency (SMC) if the party already knew about his alleged affair then.

According to The New Paper, he also said it is sad that the voters have been misled by the WP.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also commented on WP's handling of Yaw's alleged affair, saying that the WP has let down Hougang voters.
He said Hougang SMC is vacant due to Mr Yaw's doing and the way the WP has handled the matter, The Straits Times reported.
The English daily also reported PM Lee as saying that he would consider carefully whether to call a by-election as it is "a very serious matter" and that Singapore had a general election less than a year ago.
PM Lee also said there is no fixed time within which he must call a by-election, while Mr Khaw noted that the PAP remains committed to Hougang, which has been in WP hands since 1991.
Mr Yaw won the seat from PAP's Desmond Choo in the May 2011 General Election.
Former presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian also gave his comments on this issue in a letter written to The Straits Times.
He said in the letter that the best person to judge Mr Yaw is his wife, and that the Hougang constituents will judge Mr Yaw at the next general election.

extremme
16-02-12, 12:52

hahaha, good one!!!

extremme
16-02-12, 12:54
Politician's life must be clean and immaculate.
I wonder if WP knew about YSL's pte life before fielding him in as a candidate.
If they had, then they would have known this day will come.

funny thing is, the person who "blew the whistle" was TR. Always thought TR was meant to be pro-opposition? but appears they favour NSP and SDP over WP...

now just hope other opp parties, esp dat tan jee say dun come in and spoil the vote for WP... havent forgiven him for TCB presidential election yet

amk
16-02-12, 13:57
Always thought TR was meant to be pro-opposition?

TR has *always* been against WP (in addition to PAP). It started out as Wayang Party , you tell me what this name is for ;)

Regulators
16-02-12, 14:42
To me smokers have no morals cuz how can public servants advocate healthy lifestyle when he doesn't believe in it. Adultery is not a crime under human law, it is god's law, not for ppl to judge.
so is ok to have such MP to serve ppl? :doh: doing such thing is showing this person has no moral. a person who has no moral is shit even he has substance!!! furthermore he is the treasurer, should get an independent auditor to check on them also.

land118
16-02-12, 15:06
TR website, some postings have suggested recent PAP losing MPs ( George Yeo or Lim Hwee ) to come back and fight for this Hougang seat:

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/02/15/breaking-news-workers-party-expels-yaw-shin-leong/

Nman
16-02-12, 16:11
such isu can affect property priceat Hougang?

gn108
16-02-12, 16:28
Going up ma...Men In White will be marching in...

such isu can affect property priceat Hougang?

buttercarp
16-02-12, 18:10
funny thing is, the person who "blew the whistle" was TR. Always thought TR was meant to be pro-opposition? but appears they favour NSP and SDP over WP...

now just hope other opp parties, esp dat tan jee say dun come in and spoil the vote for WP... havent forgiven him for TCB presidential election yet

Yeah.... I hope TJS dun contest too.

Regulators
16-02-12, 18:46
If not for the kns TKL, TJS might have been our president. What a pity TJS isn't our president coz I know he will work hard for the ppl. Look at TT, what has he been doing so far, really kns.
Yeah.... I hope TJS dun contest too.

Nman
17-02-12, 13:29
Going up ma...Men In White will be marching in...
property price sure sky rocket

land118
18-02-12, 13:39
http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/02/17/pap-desperate-to-milk-from-yaw-gate-saga/

PAP desperate to milk from Yaw-gate saga
[/B] February 17th, 2012 | Author: Contributions
When PM Lee was asked yesterday about when a by-election would take*place, he took the despicable route which is a swipe at the rising*opposition party WP.

He said,“Now, the Hougang SMC is vacant, as a result of what Mr Yaw*Shin Leong has done, and the way the WP has handled the matter”. . .*“The WP has let down the voters of Hougang”.

If you ask me, this is very uncalled for coming from a Prime Minister, he seemed to imply that the WP has handled the matter badly. Hello!!*they fired a CORE member of the party! What has PAP ever done?? MBT is*still drawing a fat cheque despite stepping down as a minister. Vivian*is still a minister after blowing $300 million in YOG. Any let down we*feel is by PAP, not WP!

What Yaw did wrong was in his personal life. What these two ministers*and many others did wrong were in their working life. Which is the*lesser of two evils? We pay huge ransoms to ministers who claimed to*be the most capable men in the land, only to see them fail like any*other ordinary men. When did we pay Yaw to see his personal life*unfold in front of us? WP is a party that took drastic action when it*was absolutely necessary to show ownership and accountability!

Wow, ownership and accountability – 2 bombastic words that PAP does*not understand and has never followed. So what IF all your men are of*high moral standards? They just can’t perform at their job! I would*rather pick someone who visits prostitutes but fights to tax the rich*more or offer more assistance to the poor! In the first place, are all*PAP members that clean? The problem here is there is not enough*resources to unearth thrash on these hypocrites. Even if you have the*resources, one also requires extreme courage since every stone you*turn, they always threaten you with lawsuits or worse ARRESTS!

Not only is PM’s answer uncalled for, the fact that he does not want*to call for an early by-election shows that he wants to milk this*whole incident completely. The more time there is for a by-election,*the more thrash his lackeys can dig out and blame WP for everything!

I am still upset why when Balaji died, there is no by-election!?*Because PAP holds virtually all the seats in Parliament, they always*do whatever they please. If you ask me, as long as a MP dies or*becomes incapacitated, a by-election has to be called immediately.*Don’t be a coward and claim there is no need for a by-election because the*mandate is not affected. I want to be proud of my MPs but I can’t*because all they want to do is to hide behind this curtain call GRC.*Once unveiled, you will see how useless these bumps truly are!

The Yaw-gate is far from over, but WP will receive more support than*ever before! For one simple reason – they have shown Singaporeans*that they are ready to correct a wrong! When will PAP ever own up to a*mistake and fire someone?!

Matthew Chua

land118
18-02-12, 13:44
Check this Mr Brown picture of TJS::D

http://www.mrbrown.com/.a/6a00d83451b52369e20168e78134c9970c-popup

ysyap
18-02-12, 21:17
:o TJS at least got the guts to join... fall and pick himself up again... Lol... but Mr Brown funny man...

howgozit
19-02-12, 18:29
Yah... got to admire his spirit.

:o TJS at least got the guts to join... fall and pick himself up again... Lol... but Mr Brown funny man...