PDA

View Full Version : The ONLY thing that will KILL property prices is...

radha08
15-02-12, 13:27
INTEREST RATES....ha ha govt try everything NO EFFECT...who got money just buy....see govt policy NO up....:D

Only thing left is surge in interest rates.....:2cents:

$1 Million 30 year loan at 1.5% interest...MOnthly=$3451..NO PROBLEM:D

$1 Million 30 year loan at 3.5% Interest..Monthly=$4490...Ouch....:doh:

$1 Million 30 year loan at 7% (DONT LAUGH MY SISTER IN MELBOURNE IS PAYING THIS FOR HER PROPERTY).....Monthly = $6653....:scared-3: :scared-1: :banghead: :doh:

ha ha but not likely to happen unless you see a KANGAROO in your backyard....:D :D :D

azeoprop
15-02-12, 13:32
Yah borrow money is so cheap now. Buy Buy Buy! :D

When everybody is all tied up with loans, a spike in interest rates will cause another financial disaster. :D

ysyap
15-02-12, 13:32
By the time interest rates hit 3%, you can start looking for a smaller unit to stay. Try not to sell the bigger unit... rent it out coz chances of fetching a good price when interest rates go up is quite rare... use the rent to pay the mortgage.

By the time interest rates hit 4%, its time to sell to cut losses... :D Difficult to get rental to cover mortgage payment... unless you have holding power to tide through the cycle and wait for prices to go up again!

So when is 4% coming? :scared-3: Now its < 1.5% still. SIBOR preferred? :D

radha08
15-02-12, 13:37
yup i also say....like that may hay while the SUN shine....:D

ysyap
15-02-12, 13:41
yup i also say....like that may hay while the SUN shine....:DWith the SSD, even when the sun stops shinning also cannot escape... sigh! Property has indeed become less attractive as an investment portfolio... :scared-3:

richwang
15-02-12, 13:52
Well, you can only control either FX rate or interest rate.
Singapore has decided to control FX rate, so SGD will be ensured to have the right value.
If we want to control the interest rate at the same time, we will get flooding of money coming here to earn higher interest rates (and stable FX rate).

So ironically, if the gov forces the rates to go up, more money will come, and the property price will go UP.

Thanks,
Richard

radha08
15-02-12, 13:52
With the SSD, even when the sun stops shinning also cannot escape... sigh! Property has indeed become less attractive as an investment portfolio... :scared-3:

yup too many people thinking alike thats the problem...everybody want to hoot property and HUAT BIG BIG...just like the share mkt...ONLY the strong will survive...:D

avo7007
15-02-12, 13:58
So ironically, if the gov forces the rates to go up, more money will come, and the property price will go UP.

So our government uses CM to tame the pty mkt......

richwang
15-02-12, 14:02
Just increase the downpayment for 1st property to 30% (like what is happening in HK), and enforce 40% upfront downpayment for 2nd property on NEW projects should cool the property market. (Mainly the new launches, resale is already bad enough.)

Thanks,
Richard

ikan bilis
15-02-12, 14:04
umm... what me small fish thinking hor... interest rate sibor will not go up to 3% lah... bcoz usa and europe financial systems will crash into level ground flat-flat at that interest rate... hmm... sounds like me small fish also stronger than those angmoh banks,... at least me could tahan 4-5% sibor... :D:ashamed1:

ysyap
15-02-12, 14:06
Just increase the downpayment for 1st property to 30% (like what is happening in HK), and enforce 40% upfront downpayment for 2nd property on NEW projects should cool the property market. (Mainly the new launches, resale is already bad enough.)

Thanks,
Richard40% downpayment favors the banks... no problem with mortgage loan already... :cool: But then more investors will be squeezed out of the market... :scared-4:

ysyap
15-02-12, 14:07
umm... what me small fish thinking hor... interest rate sibor will not go up to 3% lah... bcoz usa and europe financial systems will crash into level ground flat-flat at that interest rate... hmm... sounds like me small fish also stronger than those angmoh banks,... at least me could tahan 4-5% sibor... :D:ashamed1:Will this force banks using SOR to consider SIBOR or board rates? :o

mcmlxxvi
15-02-12, 15:07
Will this force banks using SOR to consider SIBOR or board rates? :o
Already happened right... Ocbc no more SORe since months back.

mcmlxxvi
15-02-12, 15:12
yup too many people thinking alike thats the problem...everybody want to hoot property and HUAT BIG BIG...just like the share mkt...ONLY the strong will survive...:D
Capitalist society is like a ponzi... When those who from 'have not' turn into the 'haves' increases in numbers at an alarming rate, its time for govt to protect the elites by dishing out more measures to maintain the social balance...

amk
15-02-12, 15:27
radha08 u r not getting cold feet r u ? I understand u r renting and looking to buy... ;)

radha08
15-02-12, 17:36
radha08 u r not getting cold feet r u ? I understand u r renting and looking to buy... ;)

NOT at all...feet are nice and warm....got a fully paid 4rm generating rental for me to offset 2/3rd rental for my 4k sq feet semi-D in siglap...sitting On good capital gains from my recently sold condo in pasir ris....investing small amt of that capital in the share market...making decent gains....cleared all my debts with banks/credit cards/AH LONGs...:scared-1:... got ...lets see...ahh just paid cash for a OLD used car...nothing fancy just a little suzuki sports...what else...ahh...enjoying sipping teh C on sat mornings at siglap coffeeshop browsing papers for good deal in D15...:D:D:D

he he...feet are nice and warm...if everything else fails go back and live happily ever after in my 4rm HDB...oops hang on that one also got something to hoot for...if they build the Eastern Region line next to my block next to temasek primary school..i HUAT Big BIG...cheers bro...:cheers4:

sh
15-02-12, 17:40
With the SSD, even when the sun stops shinning also cannot escape... sigh! Property has indeed become less attractive as an investment portfolio... :scared-3:

SSD makes property less attractive for SPECULATION. No impact on long term investors.:(

ABSD makes property less attractive for INVESTMENT.:simmering:

What will kill property market?:confused:

World War 3 :scared-3:

radha08
15-02-12, 18:00
SSD makes property less attractive for SPECULATION. No impact on long term investors.:(

ABSD makes property less attractive for INVESTMENT.:simmering:

What will kill property market?:confused:

World War 3 :scared-3:

in a strange way that MAKES sense...:D

wind30
15-02-12, 19:01
NOT at all...feet are nice and warm....got a fully paid 4rm generating rental for me to offset 2/3rd rental for my 4k sq feet semi-D in siglap...sitting On good capital gains from my recently sold condo in pasir ris....investing small amt of that capital in the share market...making decent gains....cleared all my debts with banks/credit cards/AH LONGs...:scared-1:... got ...lets see...ahh just paid cash for a OLD used car...nothing fancy just a little suzuki sports...what else...ahh...enjoying sipping teh C on sat mornings at siglap coffeeshop browsing papers for good deal in D15...:D:D:D

he he...feet are nice and warm...if everything else fails go back and live happily ever after in my 4rm HDB...oops hang on that one also got something to hoot for...if they build the Eastern Region line next to my block next to temasek primary school..i HUAT Big BIG...cheers bro...:cheers4:

but ultimately you are living in a rented place. I think that is a big difference in the quality of life to me.

Maybe you can take life in a rented place where there is no house pride or anything, I much prefer to stay on a property I own. Can decorate and feel proud of it.

Different strokes for different folks

Arcachon
15-02-12, 19:46
but ultimately you are living in a rented place. I think that is a big difference in the quality of life to me.

Maybe you can take life in a rented place where there is no house pride or anything, I much prefer to stay on a property I own. Can decorate and feel proud of it.

I think what he mean is 4 rm rental +2/3 condo rental to pay for his semi-D

Arcachon
15-02-12, 19:56
Remember what LKY say, don't sell your HDB. In 30 years most Singaporean will be staying in PC, landed and rent out the HDB.

ysyap
15-02-12, 20:12
Remember what LKY say, don't sell your HDB. In 30 years most Singaporean will be staying in PC, landed and rent out the HDB.All the more must sell HDB coz HDB rental market will shrink over time... next time easier to rent out PC... Lol! :rolleyes:

radha08
15-02-12, 21:52
I think what he mean is 4 rm rental +2/3 condo rental to pay for his semi-D

how i wish that was the case.... nope was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth worked hard started with a 4 rm hdb...had a bit of extra cash...bought a condo in 2007 sold in 2011...maybe a few $$ nothing compared to all the big timers here but looking at myself in the mirror it felt GOOD cos it was thru hard and honest work that i achieved such a SMALL achievement once again NOTHING compared to the numerous bros here who got Multiple properties earning multiple dollars...:D...to each his own...i am happy...thats what matters MOST...;)

Arcachon
15-02-12, 21:56
It all depend on what you do to the money you have. Some chose to buy a new car, spend on holiday, spend on things that make them happy. For me I chose to let the money grow more money and spend on things that I need or rather don't know how to spend money.

Interesting story about money in the World.

http://www.ted.com/talks/loretta_napoleoni_the_intricate_economics_of_terrorism.html

radha08
15-02-12, 22:02

yup ULTIMATELY i am living in a rented place...but you know having said that i am HAPPILY living in a rented place with a wonderful wife/kids/dogs who dont care that its rented cos whats important is that we can sit together eat together and enjoy our RENTED place together...we dont have to slog work our asses off to pay off our monthly mortgage yup maybe you can consider that a life without PRIDE....BUT my DEAR friend life is NOT made of bricks and sand that you OWN but to me its about the family you live with and love and NO MULTI MILLION dollar home that i OWN can ever give me that....think about it....."All MEN DIE but NOT all men LIVE"....Braveheart....:D:D:D

nobrainer32007
15-02-12, 22:08
yup ULTIMATELY i am living in a rented place...but you know having said that i am HAPPILY living in a rented place with a wonderful wife/kids/dogs who dont care that its rented cos whats important is that we can sit together eat together and enjoy our RENTED place together...we dont have to slog work our asses off to pay off our monthly mortgage yup maybe you can consider that a life without PRIDE....BUT my DEAR friend life is NOT made of bricks and sand that you OWN but to me its about the family you live with and love and NO MULTI MILLION dollar home that i OWN can ever give me that....think about it....."All MEN DIE but NOT all men LIVE"....Braveheart....:D:D:D

If so why need to say so much?

Happy u urself know good enuff.

Period.

radha08
15-02-12, 22:14

Oh by the way YES i have pride in 100% owning a 4rm hdb flat that is 100% PRIDE compared to say owning 20% of a semi-D while the bank owns the other 80%....which is ONLY 20% pride...think about it....;)

Regulators
15-02-12, 22:14
I have been pondering about gov telling ppl to keep their hdb flats and what I should do with my flat that is approaching 30yr. Some say hdb is like freehold coz some ppl believe sers will surely kick in when the flat is old. I was just thinking how is hdb going to en bloc hundreds of hdb blocks in the next 10-15yrs coz not all hdb blocks are in good locations. This to me is still a grey area unless any insider working for hdb care to share
Remember what LKY say, don't sell your HDB. In 30 years most Singaporean will be staying in PC, landed and rent out the HDB.

radha08
15-02-12, 22:15
If so why need to say so much?

Happy u urself know good enuff.

Period.

yup thats a NO BRAINER....:D:D:D..period x 2

radha08
15-02-12, 22:17
I have been pondering about gov telling ppl to keep their hdb flats and what I should do with my flat that is approaching 30yr. Some say hdb is like freehold coz some ppl believe sers will surely kick in when the flat is old. I was just thinking how is hdb going to en bloc hundreds of hdb blocks in the next 10-15yrs coz not all hdb blocks are in good locations. This to me is still a grey area unless any insider working for hdb care to share

as long as u vote for the white party dont worry all honest ...WIFE LOVING people unlike you know whoooooooo:D:D:D

radha08
15-02-12, 22:18
All the more must sell HDB coz HDB rental market will shrink over time... next time easier to rent out PC... Lol! :rolleyes:

hdb sure can rent one bangala/cina/pinoy/burma all line up to rent...:D

Regulators
15-02-12, 22:21
The only thing white on me is my underwear lol
as long as u vote for the white party dont worry all honest ...WIFE LOVING people unlike you know whoooooooo:D:D:D

radha08
15-02-12, 22:23
The only thing white on me is my underwear lol

just keep it on dude dont take it out for STRANGE woman if your married....:D

nobrainer32007
15-02-12, 22:24
yup thats a NO BRAINER....:D:D:D..period x 2

Waste of time.

Bye.

amk
15-02-12, 22:30
Oh I see, u r doing an arbitrage of HDB vs pte .... Much better than totally short, i.e. sell and rent.
U r blessed. Not many ppl like to live in a rented house as a way of life, especially Asians.

Arcachon
15-02-12, 22:37
Oh I see, u r doing an arbitrage of HDB vs pte .... Much better than totally short, i.e. sell and rent.
U r blessed. Not many ppl like to live in a rented house as a way of life, especially Asians.

I have been renting since Mar 2007 and love it everyday.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=358211&page=125

radha08
16-02-12, 00:33

well sad but true thats the stark reality of life in this country....escalating home prices have forced me to deviate from my asian values and i have to stay in a rented house and buy a used car.....

ysyap
16-02-12, 05:33
how i wish that was the case.... nope was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth worked hard started with a 4 rm hdb...had a bit of extra cash...bought a condo in 2007 sold in 2011...maybe a few $$ nothing compared to all the big timers here but looking at myself in the mirror it felt GOOD cos it was thru hard and honest work that i achieved such a SMALL achievement once again NOTHING compared to the numerous bros here who got Multiple properties earning multiple dollars...:D...to each his own...i am happy...thats what matters MOST...;)Cheers! :cheers4: Me no born w silver spoon too... my parents even had to borrow cash from me when I just started to work... Here's to hard work! :cheers4:

ysyap
16-02-12, 05:37
I have been renting since Mar 2007 and love it everyday.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=358211&page=125Have you ever considered how much you've paid in rental? My colleague just revealed that he regretted not buying HDB. He's a PR and has been renting for last 15 years. He calculated that if each month rental is $2k, he's paid $360k. He could have paid for a 5 room flat bought 15 years back. His flat would have been worth $5xx k today. :rolleyes:

ysyap
16-02-12, 05:39
well sad but true thats the stark reality of life in this country....escalating home prices have forced me to deviate from my asian values and i have to stay in a rented house and buy a used car.....Nothing wrong with driving a used car... with today's COE price, buying new car are only for the super rich... and if rented house is but a stepping stone to move into own house, its also ok... :rolleyes:

wind30
16-02-12, 06:04

I just say house pride lah.... where got so serious until "life without pride"

Living in a rented place is a minus for me. But if doing that have other pluses, then it is tradeoff. And different people value the property differently. Some people are more ok with living in rented places as they feel that home is where the family is. Others prefer to stay in a smaller place they bought rather than a bigger rented place.

I don't think there is anything wrong either way.

radha08
16-02-12, 06:20
I just say house pride lah.... where got so serious until "life without pride"

Living in a rented place is a minus for me. But if doing that have other pluses, then it is tradeoff. And different people value the property differently. Some people are more ok with living in rented places as they feel that home is where the family is. Others prefer to stay in a smaller place they bought rather than a bigger rented place.

I don't think there is anything wrong either way.

thats the beauty of the property market everybody thinks different some think think rent others think buy some think hdb some EC...some think MM...some think sentosa cove...there will never be a right or wrong as long as we know what we doing and MOST importantly....WHERE we going...

radha08
16-02-12, 06:27
Cheers! :cheers4: Me no born w silver spoon too... my parents even had to borrow cash from me when I just started to work... Here's to hard work! :cheers4:

:cheers4: to you too bro....:D....near where i stay the guy who runs the chicken rice stall owns a landed property in siglap.....he aged about 60plus....every morning 6am he walks down to his stall works hard close his shop about 4pm....he told me he dont need the $$$$....he got a big house and lot of $$$ but if he dont work he will rot away.....oh by the way his chicken rice is great....:D

radha08
16-02-12, 06:28
Have you ever considered how much you've paid in rental? My colleague just revealed that he regretted not buying HDB. He's a PR and has been renting for last 15 years. He calculated that if each month rental is $2k, he's paid $360k. He could have paid for a 5 room flat bought 15 years back. His flat would have been worth $5xx k today. :rolleyes:

:scared-1::scared-1::scared-1:

radha08
16-02-12, 06:34
Nothing wrong with driving a used car... with today's COE price, buying new car are only for the super rich... and if rented house is but a stepping stone to move into own house, its also ok... :rolleyes:

yup i also say NEVER be a slave to your car...make your car work for u...:D....actually i also asked my hdb tenant who is a PR why he dont consider buying...he told me back home in his country he got 3 properties which he renting out so i guess this is what makes the world turn aroud....;)

Laguna
16-02-12, 07:55
if u rent, the rental expenses are not tax deductible
whereas rental income is taxable...

price
16-02-12, 09:21
if u rent, the rental expenses are not tax deductible
whereas rental income is taxable...

According to the Singapore Income Tax Act, the following are tax deductible against rental income:

1. Housing loans - Interest paid on the loan or mortgage taken to purchase the property which is rented out.

2. Property Tax Incurred during the rental period

3. Premiums paid on fire insurance

4. Repairs done to restore the property to its original state

5. Maintenance - Cost of maintaining the property (e.g. painting, pest control, monthly maintenance charges to management corporations)
Costs of securing tenant

6. Agent's commission, advertising, legal expenses for getting subsequent tenants

7. Cost of renewing a lease or changing a tenant

8. Agent's commission, advertising and legal expenses for getting the*first tenant*of a*subsequent property*is deductible against the rental income of that property.

9. Costs of supervision and rent collection - This expense is not deductible as it is incurred after the income is earned.

However, as a concession, if you rent out a*number of properties and incur costs in engaging a third party (e.g. property agent / company) to supervise the properties and to collect rent on your behalf, a sum*not exceeding*5% of the gross rent or the*actual amount*spent, whichever is*less, may be considered. Each case will be considered on its own merits.
Furniture and Fittings

10. Replacements of furnishings (e.g. furniture, fixtures, electrical appliances) to its original state

11. Hiring of furniture

12. Internet charges/expenses Paid on behalf of tenant (as long as not reimbursed by tenant subsequently).

13. Utility expenses Paid on behalf of tenant (as long as not reimbursed by tenant subsequently).

price
16-02-12, 09:25
Non Deductible Expenses

1. Repayments of the principal loan or mortgage amount*(monthly instalments)

2. Penalty imposed by banks for late repayment of loans

3. Property tax incurred outside the rental period

4. Penalty imposed for late payment or non-payment of property tax

5. Insurance on Capital sum assured on property

6. Initial repairs

7. Repairs done which results in improvement/additions and alterations

8. Repairs incurred outside rental period

9. Cost of renovation, additions, alterations to the property (e.g. extension of car porch, construction of drains, cementing of walls and floors, installation of window grilles)

10. Agent's commission, advertising and legal expenses for getting the first tenant

11. Depreciation of furnishings (e.g furniture, fixtures, electrical appliances)

12. New/Improvements/Additions made to furnishings (e.g. furniture, fixtures, electrical appliances)

13. Internet expenses paid on behalf of tenant, but reimbursed by tenant subsequently.

14. Utility expenses paid on behalf of tenant, but reimbursed by tenant subsequently.

fclim
16-02-12, 09:40
well sad but true thats the stark reality of life in this country....escalating home prices have forced me to deviate from my asian values and i have to stay in a rented house and buy a used car.....

I thot eventually you want to buy again? Waiting for the correction, right?

Just kaypoh a bit. You renting big landed now, with dog and all. How will you adapt if need to move to new condo? Remember, the sizes of new condos are getting smaller and smaller with each new launch.:)

chiaberry
16-02-12, 09:40
Have you ever considered how much you've paid in rental? My colleague just revealed that he regretted not buying HDB. He's a PR and has been renting for last 15 years. He calculated that if each month rental is $2k, he's paid $360k. He could have paid for a 5 room flat bought 15 years back. His flat would have been worth $5xx k today. :rolleyes:

One of my current tenants (non-S'porean) decided to buy his own unit in the same development as my place that he's currently renting @ $3600 pm. I think he may have just missed the current round of CM. I suppose he thought that he might as well be paying towards his own housing loan rather than mine haha. Lucky for him I got a new tenant @ $3900 therefore I allow him to break lease 2 mo early without penalty. :hell-hath-no-fury:

chiaberry
16-02-12, 09:42

Just kaypoh a bit. You renting big landed now, with dog and all. How will you adapt if need to move to new condo? Remember, the sizes of new condos are getting smaller and smaller by the day.:)

He was basically hoping for a BIG DURIAN to drop and to bag a terrace house with the proceeds from his pty sales last year. :D

DC33_2008
16-02-12, 10:24
Some of them who have worked in Singapore for a while realised that they can also leverage on the low interest rate to own a house rather than to help landlords to pay for their house.
One of my current tenants (non-S'porean) decided to buy his own unit in the same development as my place that he's currently renting @ $3600 pm. I think he may have just missed the current round of CM. I suppose he thought that he might as well be paying towards his own housing loan rather than mine haha. Lucky for him I got a new tenant @ $3900 therefore I allow him to break lease 2 mo early without penalty. :hell-hath-no-fury:

richwang
16-02-12, 10:34
so the next cooling measure would be stop credit for foriengers. Again this is praticsed in HK and a few other places.

Thanks,
richard

Rosy
16-02-12, 10:55
so the next cooling measure would be stop credit for foriengers. Again this is praticsed in HK and a few other places.

Thanks,
richard
I seriously do not think any sound minded foreigners will pay extra 10% absd at this moment. They would rather continue renting.

gn108
16-02-12, 11:05
I'm inclined to agree with the interest rate impact, but I reckon this is awhile away. CMs - SSD and ABSD can be a trap...no action till rates creep up over the years.

amk
16-02-12, 11:20
Have you ever considered how much you've paid in rental?
aiyo have u actually read what member Arcachon posted ? He's living overseas lah! Of course have to rent what.

domestically Singaporeans living on rental houses are mostly for the purpose of shorting the market. Member radha08's case is a better shorting position than a naked short position.

For me personally I know of at least 2 families are totally on rental since 2010. One of them I *think* is getting a bit cold feet.

ysyap
16-02-12, 11:29
I seriously do not think any sound minded foreigners will pay extra 10% absd at this moment. They would rather continue renting.They'll apply for RP before buying... :o

ysyap
16-02-12, 11:31
aiyo have u actually read what member Arcachon posted ? He's living overseas lah! Of course have to rent what.

domestically Singaporeans living on rental houses are mostly for the purpose of shorting the market. Member radha08's case is a better shorting position than a naked short position.

For me personally I know of at least 2 families are totally on rental since 2010. One of them I *think* is getting a bit cold feet.Thx for correcting... so he's stating an example which to him is bo pian but to others there's still a choice... comparing apple with orange lah.. :D

ysyap
16-02-12, 11:32

Thanks,
richardNot surprised if implemented... but govt already has a tight grip on foreigners here... its time to focus elsewhere. :o

Jonathan0503
16-02-12, 12:07
According to the Singapore Income Tax Act, the following are tax deductible against rental income:

10. Replacements of furnishings (e.g. furniture, fixtures, electrical appliances) to its original state

This one quite vague.

Does it mean we have to get exactly the same set of furniture when we replace a damaged set?

If it's slightly bigger, or more comfortable, would that amount to an improvement and hence become non-deductible under your 'Non-deductible' list?

chiaberry
16-02-12, 12:13
This one quite vague.

Does it mean we have to get exactly the same set of furniture when we replace a damaged set?

If it's slightly bigger, or more comfortable, would that amount to an improvement and hence become non-deductible under your 'Non-deductible' list?

How would IRAS know what was the "original" state anyway?

EBD
16-02-12, 12:26
He was basically hoping for a BIG DURIAN to drop and to bag a terrace house with the proceeds from his pty sales last year. :D

Pretty sure he sold in 2007/2008, not last year. I remember him (as alam) talking about his sale of his 2 properties on channelnewsasia forum.

He now seems to post how bad it is to own multiple property as it drives up price and living costs.

Had a very different tone when he mad lots of money from it. Wonder why :beats-me-man:

chengerh
16-02-12, 12:26
I attended a talk by some property agent on this before.
What they said was as long as you have the receipt for your initial purchase(the one that is damaged), you can claim for replacement cost under rental expense. I would assume they are not particular about you replacing e.g. a plasma TV for a LED type

price
16-02-12, 12:27
This one quite vague.

Capital expenditure are not tax deductible. Only repairs to ur furniture are. Hence any new pieces of furniture added is not tax deductible.

Unless you are running a business, then there'll be capital allowance for furniture.

price
16-02-12, 12:29
How would IRAS know what was the "original" state anyway?

Well, IRAS won't even know whether your property was rented out or for own stay. All tax declarations are voluntary. Only when the IRAS queries then comes the part of proving ur innocence / claims and deductions (i.e. receipts invoices etc).

price
16-02-12, 12:32
I attended a talk by some property agent on this before.
What they said was as long as you have the receipt for your initial purchase(the one that is damaged), you can claim for replacement cost under rental expense. I would assume they are not particular about you replacing e.g. a plasma TV for a LED type

I feel for tax purposes, even property agents themselves aint always right. Replacement of furniture like the example you've raised is not tax deductible. Only if your original TV set was sent for repair and the repair costs to fix it is tax deductible.

radha08
16-02-12, 15:22

Just kaypoh a bit. You renting big landed now, with dog and all. How will you adapt if need to move to new condo? Remember, the sizes of new condos are getting smaller and smaller with each new launch.:)

everything in the mind bro...when i served the army in safti i had to dig a trench and sleep inside...life is what you make it to be if your mind is at peace you can be happy in a MM apartment compared to someone staying in sentosa cove whose mind is full of worries/problems...etc etc...know what i mean...MIND OVER MATTER...:D

radha08
16-02-12, 15:26

BASIC cally u are right....actually was waiting for D15 freehold semi-D to grab around 1.2 to 1.5 million....but unfortunately the only thing u could get at that price was a 400sft plot of land with A BIG DURIAN TREE....:D:D:D:D

radha08
16-02-12, 15:46

honestly landed NO big deal..yeah its nice cos you got a big garden and all but i miss the pool of my old condo...my kids got no playground and friends to play with...mybwife used to use the gym now no more...my old condo unit was quite breezy...landed living is hot...what else...ah everything got good and bad...my HDB flat so easy go down got cofeeshop...7/11...shops...all got good and bad...:)

Laguna
16-02-12, 19:05
Thanks Price for sharing the tax aspects,

chiaberry
16-02-12, 19:11
Pretty sure he sold in 2007/2008, not last year. I remember him (as alam) talking about his sale of his 2 properties on channelnewsasia forum.

He now seems to post how bad it is to own multiple property as it drives up price and living costs.

Had a very different tone when he mad lots of money from it. Wonder why :beats-me-man:

Landed has gone up a lot since 2007/2008. He would have done better to have bought it then rather than waiting.

I thought he was only renting since last year.

radha08
16-02-12, 19:31
Landed has gone up a lot since 2007/2008. He would have done better to have bought it then rather than waiting.

I thought he was only renting since last year.

yup u are right HE..was only renting landed since last year HE bought a condo in 2007 ...although HE did go and see landed in 2007 but HE decided to buy a condo....did HE regret his move ...well in life we all make decisions and age has taught me that if i live every day regretting our past actions we will never enjoy what we have and life will be meaningless....so lets all live a HAPPY life whether its in a condo/hdb/landed/MM/Sentosa Cove.....ARMY BARRACKS...:D :D :D

ysyap
16-02-12, 19:49
yup u are right HE..was only renting landed since last year HE bought a condo in 2007 ...although HE did go and see landed in 2007 but HE decided to buy a condo....did HE regret his move ...well in life we all make decisions and age has taught me that if i live every day regretting our past actions we will never enjoy what we have and life will be meaningless....so lets all live a HAPPY life whether its in a condo/hdb/landed/MM/Sentosa Cove.....ARMY BARRACKS...:D :D :DVery good perspective to life.. army? R u kidding? :D :sleep:

chiaberry
16-02-12, 20:04
ARMY BARRACKS? .......[dots] :jackass:

kane
16-02-12, 21:28
nowadays army mattress got spring and homogeneous tiled floors no? quite comfortable lah.

3C
16-02-12, 21:59
yup u are right HE..was only renting landed since last year HE bought a condo in 2007 ...although HE did go and see landed in 2007 but HE decided to buy a condo....did HE regret his move ...well in life we all make decisions and age has taught me that if i live every day regretting our past actions we will never enjoy what we have and life will be meaningless....so lets all live a HAPPY life whether its in a condo/hdb/landed/MM/Sentosa Cove.....ARMY BARRACKS...:D :D :D

Very good life's perspective. Dont let all these noises affect your plan.
Endure and be patient and you will be greatly rewarded.
When you taboleh tahun and buy, murhy's law always comes after you --price collapse the next day..;) Most important, you & your familyare happy & u should be fine..:p

radha08
16-02-12, 23:43
aiyo talk about army barracks my hair stand whoever been to pulau tekong DONKEY years ago will know what i mean....people say can hear marching at parade square at midnite....:eek:...all kind of ghost stories but thinking back damm shiok....wake up 5am sleep at 11pm everyday....mind and body so fit and alert....hai yo...nowadays see walk up apartment also sianzzzzz...:D:D:D

fclim
16-02-12, 23:57
everything in the mind bro...when i served the army in safti i had to dig a trench and sleep inside...life is what you make it to be if your mind is at peace you can be happy in a MM apartment compared to someone staying in sentosa cove whose mind is full of worries/problems...etc etc...know what i mean...MIND OVER MATTER...:D

Haha, your first taste of landed basement living in the Army.:D. Full of ants and insects.